Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think it is time we revisit "Ghostbusters" (1984) and its sequel and reboot...

I know that there is another movie coming out in 2020 that ties to the original, so before that we should revisit the original, its sequel and the reboot.

This film came out 2 years before I was born, but as a kid in the 90s I would watch this all the time and I loved the movie! I was actually obsessed with it and my mom bought me all the action figures for the movie, and sheet sets etc (PS a sheet set that were glow in the dark that terrified me and I cried until she changed them). I thought it was so much fun as a kid, and upon rewatch, is still cool, although they should invest and redo the graphics. They look really bad now.

I never liked that they did not give the black man much to do or any funny lines, and my friend told me how he was originally supposed to come in on page 28 of the script but was pushed back to like 68 because Bill Murray was eating the scenery with his comedy and improvisation so they did not even need the black guy much and gave most of his lines to Murray. I always found Sigourney Weaver creepy in this, too.

I never liked the sequel, and hated the reboot even more. I hope the new one does some justice to this series.

Why did Murray and Harold Ramis (RIP) have a falling out after Groundhogs Day? Murray and Ramis were close friends after filming this, and then after doing Groundhog Day Murray hated Ramis with a passion, and wanted nothing to do with him and wouldnt even acknowledge his name. It was not until Ramis was on his deathbed that he went to see him and the made peace. I find that so so sad! So many years lost together over what? Anyone know? I hope it wasnt petty bullshit. I heard Murray is AWFUL. My sister met him and said he was a dick!

I loved Ramis is this. He played the straight man perfectly.

PS even as a kid I hated the theme song to this!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2020 3:32 AM

"The black guy" has a name: Ernie Hudson.

The first GB is terrific, the second is awful, the reboot was okay. There really don't need to be any more, but there will be because $$$$$.

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2019 12:51 AM

Loved Harold Ramos. So sad he isn't here for the newest sequel. I find it very sad that it took for him being on his deathbed for Murray to break down and speak to him, again. What a waste of years of peace of mind and friendship!

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2019 1:03 AM

Ghostbusters is one of those movies that I will always stop to watch if I come across it while surfing the channels. I've always loved it.

The trailer for the 2020 movie looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2019 1:03 AM

The first movie is tolerable thanks to Bill Murray. There’s really no story and the tone is all over the place. The middle is dreadfully boring.

The reboots will fail because it’s never been a good story and they don’t feature a funny, charismatic movie star like Murray.

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2019 1:10 AM

Didn’t Sony’s email leaks pretty much say Murray was a nightmare in one?

by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2019 1:14 AM

He was a belligerent drunk while filming “Aloha” and throwing diva tantrums left and right.

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2019 1:49 AM

Love the original. The sequel has its moments, like Peter MacNichol's OTT performance, and I like it. The all-female remake was flat-out terrible. Unfunny and desperate to be liked. The forthcoming sequel looks interesting but I'm not enthused.

by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2019 1:59 AM

Love the original! It's one of those films that was much better than it should have been, thanks to a real feeling of adventure, some great laugh lines, and Murray's absolutely hilarious performance.

I also like the 2016 reboot... not a lot, but I like it. Mainly because of Chris Hemsworth being delicious, charismatic, and hilarious - he was funnier than any of the comic actresses playing the official leads. But then, all of their performances meandered, as if they were mugging for the camera and trying to make it work, in the absence of any funny lines in the script.

by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2019 6:52 AM

What the hell? Winston (the “black guy”) had some of the best lines in the movie. Probably my single favorite line is, “when someone asks you if you’re a god, you say YES!” He was the everyman in the movie, the stand-in for the audience. Hudson (a non-comedian) was perfect for the role. In retrospect, it’s too bad he didn’t have more screen time, but I disagree with the claim that he was wasted.

The sequel wasn’t nearly as good, but it had its moments.

The reboot was awful. It couldn’t decide if it wanted to follow the same tropes and dynamics of the original or if it wanted to go in a different direction, which was a big reason why it was so unfunny. The effects were worse than a movie made more than 30 years before. It had a crappy villain. The only reason it did okay at the box office was because of the MRA backlash it got before the movie even came out.

I don’t have high hopes for the next movie, but I’ll keep an open mind.

by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2019 7:10 AM

Ernie Hudson was great, but it is awful they cut his introduction in the movie by 40 pages!

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2019 7:36 AM

Didn't care for the original 1984 version. Hated its sequel. Avoided the all female remake. Have no intention of seeing this 're-boot'.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2019 7:59 AM

Does anyone have a clue what caused Murray to hate Ramis so much during the filming of Groundhogs Day?

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2019 8:08 AM

Loved Ghostbusters. One of my all-time favorites. Also a big fave of my partner. We like to quote lines to one another on occasion, and then laugh like hell, as if it were the first time we ever heard them.

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2019 8:46 AM

With the exception of Grounghog’s Day, I could not care less about Bill Murray. Never understood the hype about him.

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2019 8:50 AM

Admit it - how many times have you said "Back off, man, I'm a scientist" in real life?

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2019 8:51 AM

It sucks because I think Ernie was expecting his career to take off after Ghostbusters. I just watched The Hand That Rocks The Cradle for the first time and he was great! I doubt that movie could be rebooted today.

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2019 9:15 AM

Ernie was also terrific with S. Epatha Merkerson in the final episodes of "Law & Order" when Anita was battling cancer. They both deserved Emmys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2019 9:22 AM

The role Ernie was playing was cut back a lot. He blames them cutting his screen time drastically and giving most of his lines to Bill Murray for why his career didn’t take off.

by Anonymousreply 18December 21, 2019 9:39 AM

TheFabulousMissLucy R13, you and your husband and I would get along VERY well! Ghostbusters is my all time fave.

"Would you like sime coffee?" "Yes, have some." "Yes, have some!"

I could quote the movie all day with you guys, and do it again the next day too!

R15 hahha yes, I use that line a lot!

Unfortunately, not many of my friends and acquaintances love or have even seen the film. That makes me sad. Mainly because it means my quotes fall on deaf ears. I don't hate the sequel, but I refuse to watch the all female version. I am looking forward to the coming reboot.

by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2019 10:08 AM

r19 It's funny but I just realized that Ghostbusters was released the year that my partner was born. Neither of us actually saw it in a theatre. I guess that the quotes sound strange to anyone who has never seen the movie because their humor is so relevant to what is happening at the time. We need to form some kind of Ghostbusters Admiration society. One of my favorite quotes is "When someone asks if you're a god, you say "YES!"

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2019 10:24 AM

R16 Don't fuck with me retard!

(The Hard That Rocks the Cradle is a lot of fun).

by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2019 11:10 AM

My sister would cry when you see him standing there after being accused of molesting that little girl r21

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2019 12:46 PM

R21 twitter would have a field day with that scene.

R22 I don't blame her, the poor guy just got a bike 😖

by Anonymousreply 23December 21, 2019 1:05 PM

The scene where Dan Aykroyd unzipped by a ghost was my earliest gayling moment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 21, 2019 1:54 PM

Is anyone on Earth looking forward to the 2020 reboot?

Cant say I am. Like I said, the original film was a lot better than it should gave been, there's been 2 failed attempts to recapture the magic and I expect this will be a 3rd.

by Anonymousreply 25December 21, 2019 7:02 PM

I liked the cartoon of this too.

by Anonymousreply 26December 21, 2019 7:11 PM

"Harold Ramis is a Fucktard."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 21, 2019 7:41 PM

Bill Murray became a HUGE DICK after this.

by Anonymousreply 28February 11, 2020 3:11 AM

I totally don’t get the premise for the new movie, what’s it supposed to be?

by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2020 3:20 AM

Ghostbusters is alright, but I truly do not understand the hysterical love and devotion and so many straight men appear to have for the franchise. I have a cousin who's been absolutely obsessed with Ghostbusters since the 80s and it slightly terrifies me. I've never asked him what his thoughts were about the remake. I doubt I want to know.

Let's face it, Slimer is the true star of the franchise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2020 3:26 AM

I really enjoy Bill Murray. Ghostbusters is of that ilk of LOWBROW action packed cineplex blockbusters, like Back to the Future. Movies concocted in a high-powered Hollywood showbiz blender to be effective crowd pleasers.

by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2020 3:30 AM

R30 his thoughts about the remake are probably the same as every other straight males

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2020 3:30 AM

R32 It's why I haven't asked. He even forces his children to dress up like Ghostbusters characters for Halloween. Every Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2020 3:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!