Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lisa Whelchel and her gay ex-husband

Has Lisa ever discussed what is was like to waste her best bangin' years on a closeted husband? I sense she is angry, but that's an un-Christian emotion which makes the anger even harder to deal with. Is Steve out and are they still friendly? Who pressured young Lisa to marry Steve, her parents or the church?

by Anonymousreply 92December 24, 2019 3:09 PM

I am curious too. Good topic OP!

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2019 11:36 AM

This thread is useless without pictures.

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2019 11:46 AM

It was her father:

Lisa, a born-again Christian, was just 25 when her father decided it was time for her to get married. He even chose Steve, the much-older associate pastor of their church, to be her suitor.

In her 2001 book, “The Facts of Life,” Lisa wrote that she felt pressured to marry Steve after their engagement was an­nounced in front of the entire congregation – even though she says she hadn’t accepted any of his proposals. Feeling she had no way out, Lisa went through with the wedding, despite admitting she was never attracted to Steve. They tied the knot just two months after her hit TV show ended in 1988.

The family moved to Lantana, Texas, from Sherman Oaks, Calif., in 2006.

“Lisa and Steve’s marriage was doomed even before they said their ‘I do’s’ and it just got worse as time went by,” said a family friend.

“Over the years, she realized she never loved Steve the way she should have as his wife and it affected the way she treated him.”

Lisa finally filed for divorce in Den­ton County, Texas, in December 2011. But in a strange twist, the records have been sealed and only a hand­ful of the couple’s closest friends and family members even know about the split!

While no public records of the divorce ex­ist, The ENQUIRER obtained property docu­ments which show that the couple started the process to change the ownership status of their marital home in December 2011.

And in May, the deed for a home Steve bought in north Dallas shows he made the purchase as a “single man.” Lisa currently lives in a three-bedroom apartment only a few minutes away.

“Their divorce has been in the works for years,” added the family insider.“Lisa waited to file until their youngest child turned 19 and went away to college.

“It was a quick, non-contested divorce, and it took only months to finalize.”

The 25th season of “Survivor” kicked off on Sept. 19, and Lisa has said it was the hardest thing she’s ever done – and that she wouldn’t do it again!

“She’s hoping that being on the show will kick-start her career,” added the insider. “She wants to move back to L.A. full time – as a single woman – and get back into acting.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2019 2:37 PM

Thank you, MIndy, for posting this.

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2019 2:40 PM

It is funny how they look like the perfect lesbian couple whenever she takes a picture with Nancy McKeon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2019 2:46 PM

R4, yours was the most R1 response I've ever read. Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2019 2:49 PM

I remember when the LWT would post links to her blogs, and before Lisa and her husband separated, it was clear she was on the crazy train heading for a mental breakdown (locking herself in her prayer closet?!).

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2019 3:31 PM

Though Doth Protest Too Much ..........

Lisa IS a Lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2019 3:38 PM

I hope not since she is engaged again. I hope she has a happy marriage this time. It would not surprise me to find out she is bi, though. She does ping a lot at times.

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2019 4:06 PM

How can she have an ex-husband since their precious Bible doesn't allow divorce? How? How?

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2019 4:08 PM

This famous and gorgeous Hollywood star was forced into an arranged marriage. She has to harbor lots of anger, which is a complicated emotion when you otherwise love your father.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2019 1:03 AM

Nobody held a gun to her head. She made her own choices. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2019 1:09 AM

[quote]“Over the years, she realized she never loved Steve the way she should have as his wife and it affected the way she treated him.”

Well, she has three children. So either she tolerated him three times or she closed her eyes and thought of Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2019 1:09 AM

R3 makes me glad I refused to go to church after age 10

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2019 1:12 AM

When the world never seems to be living up to your dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2019 1:12 AM

When you're raised in a fundamentalist Christian household, the kids are essentially brain-washed and that inculcated fear and shame and blind obedience carries over into adulthood. Lisa was essentially a Duggar girl.

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2019 1:13 AM

R14 who allows a 10-year old decide what to do?

by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2019 1:15 AM

Lisa wasn’t attracted to her husband so she had to use Creative Erection, in bookstores now.

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2019 1:21 AM

R17 I was a very bitchy and assertive child. And my parents were occasional churchgoers, on average once a month. If I'd been raised by fundamentalists, I'd never have made it to kindergarten.

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2019 1:22 AM

OP, if you think anger is an "un-Christian" emotion, you have no idea what being a Christian is.

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2019 1:42 AM

cant stand her, alwys seemed fake as fug

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2019 1:43 AM

Most girls raised in fundamentalist families are inculcated with the belief that anger is an unChristian emotion.

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2019 1:46 AM

Lisa is very pro-gay and even blasted churches over their homophobia. She said she understood why gays have turned away from church.

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2019 1:49 AM

"I think it would be surprising to a lot of people that, unless I’m just totally not aware of it, Hollywood has really respected my beliefs. I’m sure there were some parts that I wasn’t offered, but that’s OK. I don’t feel like I had any backlash because of it.”

She takes responsibility for her beliefs and opinions, and asked for a few reasonable compromises when she was on TFoL. If only all religious performers were like her, rather than whining about persecution and playing the martyr.

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2019 1:55 AM

I think Gays turned away from the church after it became quite clear that the church had turned away from Gays

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2019 1:57 AM

R24 who could you be talking about????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2019 1:58 AM

R22, how would you know? Are you one? This is a genuine query.

by Anonymousreply 27December 22, 2019 2:06 AM

A good friend in high school was. She was trapped, I was trapped as a gayling, so we shared a bond.

by Anonymousreply 28December 22, 2019 2:09 AM

I’m not R22 but every blog on Patheos written by an ex fundamentalist woman has posts about the pressure on women to conform to gender stereotypes. Part of that they say was being a perma smiling, happy, obedient, “positive” woman. Anger was not something women were ever to express or show.

by Anonymousreply 29December 22, 2019 2:12 AM

I've shared my Lisa Whelchel story here before, so forgive me if it's a repeat for you. My husband's parents were very good friends of Lisa's aunt and uncle. Several years ago, right after Lisa and her family moved back to Texas, her aunt and uncle celebrated their 50th anniversary with a huge party, to which my husband and I accompanied his mother. Lisa, Steve, and the kids were all there. Lisa spent most of her time visiting with family and friends. I really wanted to speak to her, but there was always a circle of people around her. I was basically a stranger to everyone there but my husband and his mother, so I was too uncomfortable to approach her. But from a distance, she seemed to be very down-to-earth and personable. I don't remember getting a gay vibe from Steve, but again I didn't interact with them. I just observed them from across the room.

by Anonymousreply 30December 22, 2019 2:23 AM

I don’t know, but she was pissed when he came on my tits

by Anonymousreply 31December 22, 2019 2:23 AM

Hope she got custody of that sweet doggie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 22, 2019 2:29 AM

Why do hardcore Christian families like Lisa's get their kids involved in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 33December 22, 2019 2:33 AM

I wonder what it's like for the kids to know "You exist because Grandpa decreed it"

by Anonymousreply 34December 22, 2019 2:37 AM

How do we know the exhaust and is gay? Is he out or is he just pinging.

by Anonymousreply 35December 22, 2019 2:37 AM

Exhaust is so gay! R35 She’s exhausted by pronouns. She can’t with you right now

by Anonymousreply 36December 22, 2019 2:41 AM

She admitted on a television show that if she could go back then she would’ve never married him. That’s really sad.

by Anonymousreply 37December 22, 2019 2:50 AM

Arranged marriages are pretty sad.

by Anonymousreply 38December 22, 2019 2:52 AM

She wouldn't have the kids with the weird names if she hadn't married the exhaust.

by Anonymousreply 39December 22, 2019 3:27 AM

I hate kids with weird names.

by Anonymousreply 40December 22, 2019 3:29 AM

R33, I'm guessing they like the cash. Still crazy though.

by Anonymousreply 41December 22, 2019 3:44 AM

I have to poop

by Anonymousreply 42December 22, 2019 4:44 AM

This you must see. Video of Steve. He is undoubtedly a five alarm flaming homosexual. How could she ( as well as anyone in the world around them) possibly have not known? Very bizarre indeed...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 22, 2019 5:20 AM

omg he gayer than gomer pyle.

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2019 5:30 AM

Well, R28, R29, I am fortunate that this was not my upbringing. My original point stands. If that's what they or anyone else thinks Christian life is, for women or men, they are sorely mistaken to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 45December 22, 2019 8:03 AM

I love that his file folders create the GAY flag......

by Anonymousreply 46December 22, 2019 8:30 AM

What's the son been up to?

by Anonymousreply 47December 22, 2019 8:54 AM

Uncle Justice sure was a hottie.

And he never let TGIFridays down while they were so kind as to employ him.

His mama raised him right!

by Anonymousreply 48December 22, 2019 9:17 AM

Wow., R43. Steve makes Truman Capote sound butch

by Anonymousreply 49December 22, 2019 12:00 PM

A woman!

by Anonymousreply 50December 22, 2019 12:07 PM

I seem to recall reading on her blog that as a child her family wasn’t especially religious and she joined some whack fundie church on her own as a teen. And it was her pastor who pressured her to marry Steve. She probably just really needed to get laid instead of married.

by Anonymousreply 51December 22, 2019 3:14 PM

Jesus Christ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 22, 2019 3:21 PM

Steve is gayer than Christmas! 🎄

by Anonymousreply 53December 22, 2019 3:32 PM

Lisa is a grandma!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 22, 2019 5:34 PM

Is Haven the ugly middle child or the youngest daughter who seemed to be angling for a life of drug addiction and bisexuality.

by Anonymousreply 55December 22, 2019 5:40 PM

Does anyone know anything about her fiance? I cursory look over her IG and google search doesn't reveal much other than he's a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 56December 22, 2019 5:50 PM

That's awful what happened to Lisa. Very sad. I'm sorry her holier-than-thou family screwed up her life. The shame in this belongs to her parents for manipulating Lisa.

by Anonymousreply 57December 22, 2019 5:53 PM

Haven is the older daughter, R55. She bears a strong resemblance to Lisa's mom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 22, 2019 6:02 PM

Sorry to hear about how Lisa was used and manipulated.

Perhaps her parents or their religious community or even her ex-husband chose to ignore the signs. Perhaps they believe that getting married suddenly turns someone heterosexual. Perhaps this guy decided to suppress his own feelings. Whatever it was, Lisa ended up suffering and being used. She's the victim here.

I hope she finds true love and happiness.

by Anonymousreply 59December 22, 2019 6:11 PM

R56, her fiance is a psychologist in Nashville. I believe he's divorced. He has a young son, about 6-7 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 22, 2019 6:13 PM

Chili & Sea Bass...Where’s the chili?

by Anonymousreply 61December 22, 2019 6:14 PM

[quote]Where’s the chili?

You never need ask on a Lisa Whelchel thread

by Anonymousreply 62December 22, 2019 6:35 PM

I wonder if she cringes at the thought of her old Christian Mom blog.

by Anonymousreply 63December 22, 2019 6:54 PM

Who the hell is Lisa Whelchel? I must be WAY too old for this train...OK OK I'll get off now :)

by Anonymousreply 64December 22, 2019 6:58 PM

^ Or too young.

by Anonymousreply 65December 22, 2019 7:02 PM

It's Chilean sea bass. Chilean referring to country of Chile.

by Anonymousreply 66December 22, 2019 7:04 PM

R64: only Americans have heard of her

by Anonymousreply 67December 22, 2019 7:10 PM

r66 -- whoooosh! It's a reference to a hilarious blog she posted about how she and her mother ruined an entire group's biking tour vacation.

by Anonymousreply 68December 22, 2019 7:13 PM

The Blair Necessities was a mockery companion blog to Lisa's earnest prayer closet blog. They'd analyze and deconstruct all of her posts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 22, 2019 7:16 PM

He's the kinda guy who'd order a mulled wine, heavy on the cinnamon, light on the cloves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 22, 2019 10:46 PM

R69 every now and again I revisit Blair Necesseties. It NEVER gets old!

by Anonymousreply 71December 23, 2019 12:19 AM

////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 23, 2019 12:59 AM

We’ve only heard Lisa’s side of the story. No one knows what goes on in a marriage behind closed doors.

Of course, Datalounge is quick to vilify the gay man even though none of us have heard from him.

by Anonymousreply 73December 23, 2019 1:09 AM

R73 is Lisa's homosex ex. It's hard for him to type with 17 purses flying out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 74December 23, 2019 1:57 AM

[quote]Of course, Datalounge is quick to vilify the gay man even though none of us have heard from him.

From? Verified gay man? Please tell us a little more about your sources.

by Anonymousreply 75December 23, 2019 3:00 AM

R69 Thank you! I'm still cry/laughing! Never heard of this person and now I can't get enough!

by Anonymousreply 76December 23, 2019 12:54 PM

In celebration of the Fourth of July holiday, I thought I’d share a personal story of freedom.

Oh, god, you're killing us already, lady!!! Please, make it sto...

I was recently tempted in an area that I thought was behind me.

Wha? Without the use of the Bible (unabridged or Readers' Digest version), she has instantly redeemed herself. Now, what could she be talking about? Our first three thoughts, in this order, were 1.) drugs, 2.) lesbianism and 3.) well, we really only had those two thoughts.

It started with a dream. I woke up the next morning and said to myself, "Where did that come from?" I knew it came straight from hell but I was surprised that my subconscious let it get through to my dream life.

Speaking of straight from hell, this entry has gone in record time from terrible to terribly intriguing to no one gives a shit about anyone else's dreams. Still, what could she be talking about?

From that point on, old feelings began to resurface in an area that I had been successful at subduing for years. I didn't want the feelings but they grew stronger and stronger. I could look at them objectively and see the lie and reject the promptings but the compulsion was so strong. I began to contemplate ways to give in a little to the temptation without actually "sinning." One idea, in particular, seemed perfect. On the outside it looked perfectly innocent but I knew on the inside it was a step down a path that would only lead to trouble.

by Anonymousreply 77December 23, 2019 2:45 PM

I still want to know about ^.

by Anonymousreply 78December 23, 2019 2:49 PM

Clearly, she was fighting her lesbianic feelings.

by Anonymousreply 79December 23, 2019 3:21 PM

Lisa's dream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 23, 2019 4:39 PM

Dr. Pete Harris is another one who looks like he is sniffing fresh baked cookies.

Who knew Lisa would be our new Judy/Liza?

by Anonymousreply 81December 23, 2019 6:00 PM

Was Judy/Liza tempted by women?

by Anonymousreply 82December 23, 2019 6:10 PM

[quote]Dr. Pete Harris is another one who looks like he is sniffing fresh baked cookies.

Is that it? I just thought he looked picture-dictionary creepy. His eyes are just... "Off" somehow?

by Anonymousreply 83December 23, 2019 7:10 PM

Well, OF COURSE, Lisa would hook up with a psychologist! I mean, c'mon........

by Anonymousreply 84December 24, 2019 12:41 AM

Did Lisa write that the ex was gay? Where's the proof. Except for the video of course.

by Anonymousreply 85December 24, 2019 12:58 AM

Yes, we must have EVIDENCE before we can ACCUSE somebody of being gay! How very dare we?!? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 86December 24, 2019 10:23 AM

Who is Dr Pete Harris? I'm trying to keep up with this thread but you guys keep losing me! I tried googling but that was no help! R69

by Anonymousreply 87December 24, 2019 1:13 PM

And again they look like the perfect lesbian couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 24, 2019 1:33 PM

I am now wondering if Lisa is suppressing her attraction to women. What if she gets married and the dreams start back?

by Anonymousreply 89December 24, 2019 1:40 PM

"Collector's Call" Season 2 is coming our way next year. Certainly this pays more than doing "Butterflies Are Free" at a dinner theatre in Florida.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 24, 2019 2:30 PM

BTW, I didn't make that up. My fellow Dataloungers, did you ever think you'd say, "and Lisa Whelchel in the Eileen Heckart role?" I think she did it to help her daughter get started and to have the memory of working with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 24, 2019 2:36 PM

r91, that's some Joan Crawford shit.

by Anonymousreply 92December 24, 2019 3:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!