Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Titanic came out 22 years ago. For those who remember, how many times did you see it?

It was on screens from December to end of July 1998. I saw it 7 times mainly because I loved the scenes of the ship sinking.

by Anonymousreply 193March 2, 2020 4:25 AM

Never have seen it. Never will.

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2019 6:46 AM

God, Leonardo was so hot in that movie. My first big onscreen crush. I wish I could fuck that version of him.

Also, damn, I'm getting old.

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2019 6:47 AM

In theaters, 2 or 3 times as I was a kid. But I’ve probably seen it on TV, VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, clips from YouTube 200 times. A lot of people just don’t realize how historically accurate the recreation of the ship was. Besides the video game Titanic: Honor and Glory, Cameron’s film is the closest thing to going back in time and being there.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2019 6:48 AM

The scene where they steamed up the car was so sexy at the time.

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2019 7:00 AM

A friend of mine was 7 when it came out. He was 6 times at the theatre. We both bond over our love of titanic.

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2019 7:57 AM

Once and only on video because a co worker got sick of me slamming the movie without seeing it. Never will see it again. I HATED the movie and it started what will be a lifetime dislike if DiCrapio.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2019 8:06 AM

I was warned OFF it.

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2019 8:08 AM

It embarrasses me to think how much I loved this movie in 1997.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2019 8:11 AM

I saw it on Christmas Eve (1997) because I knew there would be barely anybody at the cinema and I could avoid the crowds.

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2019 8:15 AM

[quote]Never have seen it. Never will.

Wow, we don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like you. You're a loner, a rebel.

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2019 8:23 AM

Not even once.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2019 8:26 AM

Vile through and through.

Went along with friends with quite limited expectations ("maybe the sets will be interesting?") and felt shortchanged.

I never liked diCaprio but hated him after. Watching him act is like watching an ugly man and terrible actor pretend to take a difficult shit for 2 hours and 74 minutes. And he wasn't even the worst of it.

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2019 8:32 AM

I've told this story many times here. I was a teenager working at a theater in a suburb of LA. They screened the film at the place I worked at and Leo was there. He was tall and lanky and awkward. Totally unaware of what he was about to endure. Always had a fondness for him since.

I did like the film then, but can't imagine watching it now.

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2019 8:33 AM

Never saw it. Before my time. I was four.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2019 8:33 AM

R3 200+ times! You get the prize no doubt. I have the movie on 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD. The re-release in IMAX 3D in theaters in 2012 was awesome. They stretched the image for IMAX. The things Cameron goes through with his babies.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2019 8:56 AM

R12 LOL. I am sure your mother experienced shatting you out as taking a shit as well. She should have flushed.

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2019 8:58 AM

Never have seen it

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2019 9:07 AM

Me neither. Any good?

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2019 9:14 AM

Terrifically entertaining, then tragic as they recreate what 2000 people actually endured.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2019 9:24 AM

R15, r3 here. I’m much more a fan of the ship than the story between Jack and Rose.

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2019 9:30 AM

R13 was he as sexy in person?

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2019 9:32 AM

Never. I think DiCaprio is repellent.

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2019 9:36 AM

R18 Spoilers. The ship sinks.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2019 9:50 AM

Saw it with a group of friends. The movie was soooo long and boring,we all took turns sneaking out of the emergency exit for smoke breaks.

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2019 9:53 AM

The theme song was so horrific that to this day I would rather be trapped in an elevator playing every known cover version of “I Write the Songs” on an endless loop.

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2019 10:55 AM

I actually love the theme song now that I am older (50's). I have never seen the film, I love movies but not really into romantic tragedies. I have never seen the appeal of Leonardo DiCaprio but I did like him in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2019 11:03 AM

I have only seen dribs and drabs over the years, never to entire movie. Wasn't impressed with what I saw.

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2019 11:04 AM

Watch [italic]A Night to Remember[/italic] and skip this bloated monstrosity.

Leo’s best work (and some of Johnny Depp’s) was in [italic]What‘s Eating Gilbert Grape[/italic]. When he tries to play a character without severe mental problems, he falls flat. That’s also why [italic]The Aviator[/italic] was better than the disjointed Miramess that was [italic]Gangs of New York[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2019 11:11 AM

R20 say what you will about Cameron he knows how to appeal to wide audiences. Whilst with Titanic teenage girls were seeing the movie 20 to 30 times because they loved the Jack-Rose love story, often dragging their friends and boyfriends along. Men loved the Titanic sinking and the technical aspects of the stories. In all the theaters I saw it in, men would always laugh at that guy who fell from the sinking ship and got cut in half from the propellers. I am sure Cameron knew what he was doing with that hilarious scene. He did it again with Avatar. Females loved the love story, while men loved the technology and military aspects of the fighting and shit exploding.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2019 11:13 AM

I haven’t seen it. Zero interest.

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2019 11:18 AM

Spoiler alert: He dies and she lives.

by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2019 11:36 AM

[quote] [R20] say what you will about Cameron he knows how to appeal to wide audiences.

Yeah, it figures he would be one of the defining filmmakers of the most obese era in human history. Seriously, when they look back at this era they are going to call it The Fat Ages.

by Anonymousreply 32December 18, 2019 11:37 AM

I only saw it once and the entire time I was imagining how Carol Burnett would have a fun time mocking it. I thought it was a terrible movie - couldn't wait for them to drown and shut them up.

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2019 11:38 AM

R28 Miramess. That's good. Are you in the biz

by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2019 11:38 AM

[quote] Never. I think DiCaprio is repellent.

Never forget that Kirk Cameron gave him his start as a result of how his fat-shaming almost drove Tracey Gold to an early grave.

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2019 11:40 AM

I was 16 and I thought the movie seemed like is was five hours long. And that song? Eeeggh.

I found the ending was insulting to the granddaughter and husband of the 90-year old Rose character.

At the end of the movie, she tells her granddaughter that Jack was the love of her life. I guess the granddaughter's supposed to be thrilled that her grandfather was Rose's third choice?

by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2019 11:42 AM

What does it matter to any grandchild if a grandparent had another love? I'd be thrilled and titillated and will want to know the t

by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2019 11:46 AM

It’s like the most expensive [italic]Love Boat[/italic] episode ever. No Carol Channing, but plenty of corn.

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2019 11:47 AM

I got to see it on the Paramount lot on their preview screen. Once was enough in public, but I've watched the DVD about 3 times since.

by Anonymousreply 39December 18, 2019 12:10 PM

I saw it at least 4 times at the cinemas. Annoyed the shit out of my family lol.

by Anonymousreply 40December 18, 2019 12:13 PM

[quote] They screened the film at the place I worked at

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 41December 18, 2019 12:14 PM

One of my favorite movies of all time. Still waiting and hoping it comes out in 4K Blu-Ray.

by Anonymousreply 42December 18, 2019 12:15 PM

Twice.

by Anonymousreply 43December 18, 2019 12:26 PM

How was that an Oh Dear, R41. I wasn't writing prose, but it seems to be spelled correctly? I think?

They screened the film at the place in which I worked?

by Anonymousreply 44December 18, 2019 12:34 PM

I was in high school when it came out and as much as I’d hate to admit it, I saw it seven times throughout it’s theatrical run. I had done a big project on the Titanic for school a few years earlier, and was very interested in the technical aspect of what happened. So naturally I was interested when the movie came out, and I actually kinda fell in love with the cheesy Jack and Rose star crossed lovers story.

by Anonymousreply 45December 18, 2019 12:46 PM

I thought it was pretty lame except for the sequence showing the people trapped in steerage, which was very well done.

by Anonymousreply 46December 18, 2019 12:47 PM

R44 Always ignore the O dear trolls, like any sane person gives a fuck what they think. All language is acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 47December 18, 2019 12:54 PM

Once was more than enough. Years later, I developed a friendship with one of the drowning extras. He wouldn't shut up about it, ensuring even further that I never saw it again.

by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2019 12:55 PM

I was 28 when it was released and saw it 11 times. I was a Titanic buff since I was 7 or 8 and I received the paperback illustrated edition of Walter Lord's A Night to Remember. Saw it again when it was released in 3D and then when Fathom Events showed it for the 20th anniversary. Have seen it probably 4 more times on DVD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 18, 2019 12:57 PM

James Cameron excels at the technical aspects of film making even though he had absolutely no training whatsoever but he has always sucked at screenwriting. You can always tell when he writes as it is clumsy and not sophisticated at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 18, 2019 12:57 PM

r50, he has the ability to concoct a great story, but has absolutely no ability with dialogue whatsoever. He should have just written the story outline, then handed it to somebody like Richard Lagravenese to write the script.

by Anonymousreply 51December 18, 2019 1:00 PM

I saw it 4X.

I saw it twice during its original release - the weekend after it came out and again in April (when it amazingly was still in theaters).

Then I saw it on cable about a year later.

Then I saw the remarkable 3-D version Cameron released a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2019 1:25 PM

R52 nothing amazing about that. It was in theaters from December 1997 until end of July 1998.

by Anonymousreply 53December 18, 2019 1:34 PM

R53 - It's not normal for a film to still be shown in theaters 7 months after it's released

by Anonymousreply 54December 18, 2019 1:38 PM

"Forbidden Broadway" got a double dose of material to make fun of with the Tony Winning (and totally overrated) musical that came out the same year. After the first song which spoofed the Broadway show, they basically said, "Let's go to the other side of the boat where they are filming a movie!" There was also a two part TV movie with George C. Scott as the captain and Tim Curry as a villainous purser that came out the same year.

I'll stick with 1953's version w/Stanwyck & Webb......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 18, 2019 1:38 PM

I still can’t believe both of them couldn’t fit into that huge wood paneling... ruined the movie.

by Anonymousreply 56December 18, 2019 1:44 PM

C'mon, Titanic is the quintessential box office popcorn movie. It was a perfect "event" flick. The finale where the ship goes down was done perfectly if you ask me. My biggest beef was how often the leads kept yelling "Jack" and "Rose" every other word.

by Anonymousreply 57December 18, 2019 1:46 PM

I saw it on my 1st date with a guy 3 years after my husband of 12 years had died . Needless to say,I wept copiously . Having watched it twice in theaters and several times on tv,it really has to be experienced on a big screen . Ive had a lifelong love of Titanic but the guy only lasted about 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 58December 18, 2019 1:46 PM

It's embarrassing, but I love Titanic. I had just started college when it came out and everybody I knew went to see it at least once.

by Anonymousreply 59December 18, 2019 1:52 PM

Revolutionary Road was like a sequel to Titanic. It showed what would have happened had Jack and Rose gotten married. They woulda ended up screaming at each other all the time. He'd have slapped her around and she'd have used a coat hanger to have an abortion. These things never end well.

by Anonymousreply 60December 18, 2019 1:54 PM

Once. That was enough. Saw some glimpses of De Caprios body which was nice. The sets were damn good. OK movie otherwise. Meh

by Anonymousreply 61December 18, 2019 1:59 PM

I was a big fanboy of Cameron back in the 90s and Titanic was a hot mess of a production. The internet was just blossoming and I followed all the production gossip on corona.bc.ca. A lot of people in the industry were rooting for the movie to fail, for Cameron to fall hard on his face. No one was anticipating how popular it would be with teenage girls. I know Cameron intended the love story to help sell it, but I seriously doubt the man thought he was capable of producing something that would appeal *that* much to a demographic he's obviously indifferent to. So I was emotionally invested in Cameron's success, went and saw the movie on opening day. Enjoyed it. Was still surprised when it took off the way it did, but didn't feel like it needed any more of my support.

I haven't watched it since. Nor have I seen Avatar. I am, however, possibly the only person on earth who thought Cameron was endearing when he proclaimed himself King of the World at the Oscars. I just saw the dorky kid who succeeded at his passion project, not the raging egomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 62December 18, 2019 2:22 PM

I’ve never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 63December 18, 2019 2:31 PM

SPOILERS: The old hag throws the diamond into the ocean instead of anonymously donating it to charity and helping to feed thousands of starving Darfur orphans with it.

by Anonymousreply 64December 18, 2019 2:45 PM

Ending the movie with Old Rose dying in her bed and being reunited with Jack in heaven was really sweet.

by Anonymousreply 65December 18, 2019 2:48 PM

Right after this came out, Gloria Stuart was hired by "General Hospital" for a cameo as an elderly woman who has a flashback just like Rose did to explain part of a mob story plot line. It was a total "Titanic" rip-off. I believe her character got murdered by her granddaughter, Faith Roscoe.

by Anonymousreply 66December 18, 2019 3:30 PM

"Draw me like one of your French girls!"

The dialogue was risible.

by Anonymousreply 67December 18, 2019 3:47 PM

[quote]Ending the movie with Old Rose dying in her bed and being reunited with Jack in heaven was really sweet.

What are you talking about? She didn't die. She dreams of Jack every night. That's what the song was about. And reunited with Jack? This ain't a ghost story.

by Anonymousreply 68December 18, 2019 3:48 PM

I saw it once and that was enough. It bored me like no other movie. Endless scenes of running through different hallways being chased by water. It wasn't even as interesting as the disaster movies of the 1970s. Would it have killed them to have a Shelley Winters scene? Kathy Bates yelling, "I'm a swimming champ!" and then taking a dive into the ocean?

by Anonymousreply 69December 18, 2019 3:50 PM

I will say, seeing the movie at eleven years old really set me up for unrealistic romantic expectations.

by Anonymousreply 70December 18, 2019 4:18 PM

A gals heart is as deep as the ocean. I'll never let go. 463 times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 18, 2019 4:18 PM

TThe CGI that was so impresisve then looks so terribvle now--the little animated people walking on the deck of the ship look exactly like clumsy CGI.

The best thing the film had going for it was that it was the last gasp of Billy Zane's hotness. He always loioked like he would be such a freak in bef. of course the character he played was pure evil--James Cameron is incapable of subtlety.

by Anonymousreply 72December 18, 2019 4:34 PM

"freak in bed" not "freak in bef"

by Anonymousreply 73December 18, 2019 4:40 PM

Things to cherish in the movie:

*Billy Zane's character being proven awful by his distaste for the Post-Impressionist paintings Rose has bought

*The hugeness of the big blue diamond, which looks to be larger than the Star of Africa and would be completely impractical to wear. Also, the fact that the diamond is named "The Heart of the Ocean," which means you know exactly where it's going to end up--FORESHADOWING! FORESHADOWING!

*Frances Fisher snarling like a rabid demon when she sees Rose has run off with Jack

*The satisfying "thud!" when the extra falls off the rising poop deck when the ship is sinking and he hits the giant propeller

by Anonymousreply 74December 18, 2019 4:47 PM

R68 Of course she died, climbing the stairs was a metaphor for heaven. Plus the fact everyone who died on the ship was there. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 75December 18, 2019 4:47 PM

Yeah, I interpreted it as her having died as well -- she completed her promise to Jack and finally told her story, she died peacefully in bed (Jack tells her she'll do this, I believe) and is reunited with Jack and all the others who died in the disaster.

by Anonymousreply 76December 18, 2019 5:07 PM

I don't think she died. That would be too sad. And what would it do to her granddaughter? She would think she killed her for dragging her onto a submarine.

by Anonymousreply 77December 18, 2019 5:12 PM

R77 You're a moron, dear. Do you think every single movie has real world implications. None of it is real. Fuck the grand daughter. Old Rose was like 150 years old. She was ready to let go of the ring and join the love of her life in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 78December 18, 2019 5:15 PM

[quote] I never liked diCaprio but hated him after. Watching him act is like watching an ugly man and terrible actor pretend to take a difficult shit for 2 hours and 74 minutes

That’s nearly 3 hours and 14 minutes! 😱

by Anonymousreply 79December 18, 2019 5:16 PM

[quote] SPOILERS: The old hag throws the diamond into the ocean instead of anonymously donating it to charity and helping to feed thousands of starving Darfur orphans with it.

That bitch.

by Anonymousreply 80December 18, 2019 5:20 PM

[quote] She would think she killed her for dragging her onto a submarine.

Rose never went on a submarine.

by Anonymousreply 81December 18, 2019 5:22 PM

Saw it when it came out just once in the theater, LOVED the set design, costumes, and for the most part good casting (loved Billy Zanes character but I tend to like a villain). But Leo looked ridiculous cast opposite Winslet. Because of the ending I haven't rewatched the movie in its entirety since, but I love the beginning and in the face of imminent tragedy the old guard going out with a brandy!

by Anonymousreply 82December 18, 2019 5:23 PM

She didn't die and meet the ghost of Leonardo DiCaprio. This isn't a sci fi film. Ghosts don't exist in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 83December 18, 2019 5:25 PM

This vid was crazy funny. Loved it. The chicken leg as Rose's hand in coitus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 18, 2019 5:31 PM

I always loved when the band finally decided to call it quits and the music transitioned from calm to an ominous, booming score. Then the good shit really started to happen.

by Anonymousreply 85December 18, 2019 5:31 PM

It’s odd about the CGI. The shots of the ship sailing along and the little people walking around the decks and so forth looked pretty convincing on a theater screen, but look so fake on TV.

by Anonymousreply 86December 18, 2019 5:34 PM

R86 in the making of features Cameron explained that they had no money for good CGI. He knows the CGI was absolute crap. Cameron wasn't even paid for directing the movie. He had to negotiate to get more money to finish the movie. Paramount was convinced the movie would bankrupt them they had so little faith.

by Anonymousreply 87December 18, 2019 5:37 PM

I've always thought it was a damn shame that Bette Davis wasn't alive to play Old Rose. She would've been absolutely perfect. Kate Winslet even had a bit of a resemblance to a young Bette.

by Anonymousreply 88December 18, 2019 5:39 PM

R1 I was going to write the exact same thing. I have never seen this movie and have no desire to.

by Anonymousreply 89December 18, 2019 5:42 PM

Davis had been dead for eight years when it came out, so it's a moot point. She was quite old when she died, so it's not like she died young or was taken away from us unexpectedly.

Also, by the end her face was so gnarled and hideous (especially with those horrible hand-drawn eyebrows) that no one would have wanted to watch her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 18, 2019 7:57 PM

Well it could have been worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 18, 2019 8:05 PM

I watched it yesterday, coincidentally.

To the poster above who said he wants to fuck that version of DiCaprio, he looks 15 years old in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 92December 18, 2019 8:11 PM

Rose's mom was totally a datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 93December 18, 2019 8:21 PM

R92 STFU, troll. I am sure everyone on the fucking planet looks 15 to you, psychotic piece of pedo garbage.

by Anonymousreply 94December 19, 2019 3:21 AM

Leo and Kate had much more of a fag/hag chemistry than any kind of romantic chemistry. I just couldn't buy that they had sexual feelings for each other.

by Anonymousreply 95December 19, 2019 3:37 AM

I've never seen it, except for tuning into the ending when it was first aired on cable to see the special effects of the ship going down ( I love the original Poseidon Adventure) and thought the effects were great.

I think I'll watch the whole thing this weekend, since it's been 22 years.

by Anonymousreply 96December 19, 2019 3:47 AM

I expected more Negros.

by Anonymousreply 97December 19, 2019 3:48 AM

I’ve never seen it. Even when I was 15 and it came out I knew the difference between good films and bad ones.

by Anonymousreply 98December 19, 2019 3:51 AM

I managed to get through an hour but couldn't take any more. I have no idea why so many bottoms were obsessed with it.

by Anonymousreply 99December 19, 2019 3:53 AM

99 posts and no one has honored the Queen that made the movie a bigger hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 19, 2019 3:59 AM

R95 Sexual chemistry ? Cough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 19, 2019 4:01 AM

Seriously r101! Leo and Danny Nucci really had some chemistry going on.

by Anonymousreply 102December 19, 2019 4:18 AM

Saw it many years after its release- and It was as awful as I imagined it would be.

by Anonymousreply 103December 19, 2019 4:50 AM

I always tear up at this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104December 19, 2019 5:09 AM

Backstage is shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 19, 2019 5:13 AM

I thought Billy Zane was so freaking hot in this movie; he's so hot period.

Leo may have been the fantasy of zillions of girls who went and saw it over and over, but to me, he looks like a woman.

I just didn't buy swashbuckling Jack.

Loved the Julianne Moore SNL sketch where she played Kate Winslet imitation she did; "James kept saying, 'More water! We need more water!'"

by Anonymousreply 106December 19, 2019 5:19 AM

Rose you're so STUPID!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107December 19, 2019 5:25 AM

Never saw it. Never saw any Star Wars movies either.

by Anonymousreply 108December 19, 2019 5:27 AM

Leo never looked lovelier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 19, 2019 5:33 AM

Troppo bello

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 19, 2019 5:39 AM

Cal was a flaming chicken hawk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111December 19, 2019 5:49 AM

I'd rather be his whore than your drowned husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112December 19, 2019 5:52 AM

R101 Every character Cameron draws is stereotypical and neutrino thin. Leo the homeless drifter with the heart of gold with the illiterate Wop? Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 113December 19, 2019 6:20 AM

I agree about Billy Zane, he was smoking hot back then. Leo D. looked like a teenaged lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 114December 19, 2019 6:22 AM

Yes, Billy Zane is hot.

But, of course, he was even hotter in that other ship movie... Dead Calm.

by Anonymousreply 115December 19, 2019 6:25 AM

Too funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 19, 2019 6:58 AM

For all the haters, this has some epic shade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117December 19, 2019 7:13 AM

Someone tell her ( Celine Dion) to stop it. The boat sank; let it go!“

by Anonymousreply 118December 19, 2019 7:58 AM

I more or less ignored the actors and focused entirely on the sets. For years I was enamoured of the Olympic Class liners, esp. Titanic. Just the sight of the public rooms I'd imprinted on my mind except for visual detail, and the staterooms, and lots of other minor, incidental set material, blew me away. I only noticed three minor flubs, none of wh. I can remember now.

Towards the end the words HURRY THE FUCK UP AND DIE figured prominently in my focus. The part where the stern of the ship is vertical and moving into the water has a chorus of human voices mixed in with the music. Just watching that, and imagining what it was like to witness it, was gripping.

What I find offensive in the absolute extreme is sick fucks who whip up these 'memorial last dinner on the Titanic' evenings and dress up and take on the personality of a passenger. Maybe my imagination just doesn't extend out that far but I find myself placing it in the same categories as cutting, piercing and other aberrant sexual practices. At least those sexual practices aren't in bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 119December 19, 2019 12:25 PM

Titanic is just a movie about an old lady recounting getting some good dick on a cruise.

Change my mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 19, 2019 5:21 PM

So many of you seem to have never been in love (or touched either) . I didnt like Leo then and I dont now,but this was a tragic romantic movie that made a zillion dollars . I will say its best seen in a theater to really enjoy it .

by Anonymousreply 121December 19, 2019 7:50 PM

Saw it when it was re -released in 3D. The ship sinking was impressive as were Kate's areolas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 19, 2019 10:15 PM

Crazy how such a tiny woman birthed such a monster of a woman in rose, her father must have been huge. Don't know how the poor woman survived child birth.

by Anonymousreply 123December 20, 2019 12:24 PM

R104 The Straus's reminded me of the elderly couple, Baucis and Philemon, in Greek mythology whom Zeus and Hermes turned into trees rather than allowing them to die separately so they would never be apart. They had showed the strangers to the land hospitality rather than dismiss them like others in Tyana turned them away.

I always think of the Straus's after that moment, hoping that they had quick heart attacks and didn't suffer. It was beautifully done. The story should be remade through their eyes. There wouldn't be a dry eye in the theater after it was over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124December 20, 2019 1:34 PM

One of the most annoying parts is when Jack asks that one guy, "can I bum a smoke?" I can guarantee you that that combination of words was never spoken in 1912.

by Anonymousreply 125December 20, 2019 3:14 PM

"Bum" for "to obtain by begging, to cadge" is cited in the OED2 back to the 1860s, and "a smoke" to mean a cigar or cigarette back to the 1880s (still earlier for "smoke" as a mass noun meaning tobacco).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126December 20, 2019 4:33 PM

[quote] Titanic came out 22 years ago

I had no idea it was even gay.

by Anonymousreply 127December 21, 2019 12:41 AM

Vogue Patterns got into the act....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128December 21, 2019 12:51 AM

[quote]I always think of the Straus's after that moment, hoping that they had quick heart attacks and didn't suffer.

They didn't and did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 21, 2019 12:59 AM

I saw it in a movie theater because I wanted to see the special effects. I sure as hell didn't go to see it to swoon over the 'love story" between Jack and Rose, which was probably the most dismal aspect of the movie. DiCaprio and Winslet were truly an odd couple; she was bigger than he was. And Rose is one of the most dislikable movie heroines in film history. She tells her mother to "shut up!", cheats on her fiance and spits in his face and punches a guy who's trying to help her. Even when she's an old lady she's still bitchy ("do you want to hear this or not?"). Stupid love story, mediocre dialogue...aside from the special effects it was pretty crummy. I did like Victor Garber's performance, though. And people have always posed this question; what the hell kind of sex position was Rose in when her hand is seen against the steamed up window of the car?

by Anonymousreply 130December 21, 2019 1:28 AM

Jack was probably eating her out from behind.

by Anonymousreply 131December 21, 2019 1:36 AM

So Rose dies and reunites with Jack in heaven. She’d rather spend eternity with a fling she had when she was young instead of her husband?

by Anonymousreply 132December 21, 2019 1:37 AM

"So Rose dies and reunites with Jack in heaven. She’d rather spend eternity with a fling she had when she was young instead of her husband?"

The movie would have you believe that Jack was her One True Love and that her husband, the father of her children, was just kind of a way station until she reunited with Jack in heaven. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 133December 21, 2019 1:54 AM

[quote]She’d rather spend eternity with a fling she had when she was young instead of her husband?

I suspect a lot of people are like that.

by Anonymousreply 134December 21, 2019 1:54 AM

Has no one died for you, R133?

by Anonymousreply 135December 21, 2019 2:48 AM

"I'll never let go."

Then the bitch lets him sink into the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 136December 21, 2019 2:49 AM

"Has no one died for you, [R133]?"

No, I don't believe anyone has. I suspect no one had died for you, either. Life isn't like the movies, hon.

by Anonymousreply 137December 21, 2019 2:53 AM

If Rose hadn't been such a fatass, Jack could've fit on that floating piece of wood with her.

by Anonymousreply 138December 21, 2019 3:01 AM

I loved this SNL parody when Bill Paxton hosted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 21, 2019 3:14 AM

I hated Gloria Stuart's character. She was so obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 140December 21, 2019 3:34 AM

How about none

by Anonymousreply 141December 21, 2019 3:34 AM

I was shocked that Jack was a ghost the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 142December 21, 2019 3:37 AM

Well, R137, that would be incorrect.

But thanks for playing. Bless your little, retarded, heart.

by Anonymousreply 143December 21, 2019 3:43 AM

I saw it once in a theater, a preview on a daytime before the premiere. It was fucking boring and I fell asleep a few times. I've since watched it maybe 2 or 3 times at home and I do appreciate the film now. It's not a perfect film by any means and all the romance stuff doesn't move me that much but the sinking is such a massive thing to witness you can't help but be awed. The special effects are extremely well made. You only have to see Wolfgang Petersen's 2006 cheap-looking remake of Poseidon to understand how top notch the effects in Titanic were.

James Cameron's Abyss is one of my all time favorite films, I've seen it probably 20 times. And I love Terminator 2 as well. The reason I disliked Titanic so much at first was purely being disappointed seeing him turn into a total mainstream Hollywood director. Avatar is still a film I seriously dislike. I tried watching it many times but always fell asleep because I hated the aliens and the story itself. All these years Cameron might've made gorgeous scifi films like Abyss and T2 and yet he chose to spend his time on Avatars...

by Anonymousreply 144December 21, 2019 3:46 AM

I agree r144. I love The Abyss. Very underrated film and sadly, still not available on Blu-Ray.

by Anonymousreply 145December 21, 2019 3:50 AM

I guess you think you're very clever, R143. But you're just very lame, hon, bless your simple-minded soul.

by Anonymousreply 146December 21, 2019 3:53 AM

R146 The cunts will never let go. Close Thread.

by Anonymousreply 147December 21, 2019 8:02 PM

True dat.

by Anonymousreply 148December 24, 2019 6:49 AM

Considering the avg age of a DLer, I'd prefer to hear about their impressions when they saw the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 149December 24, 2019 7:15 AM

Ooooooooo a yo mama is so old joke........ Savage.

by Anonymousreply 150December 24, 2019 7:19 AM

"The Abyss" is my favorite movie up until the cheesy ending. Poor Ed Harris went through hell making it. Michael Biehn was crazy and gorgeous. God I loved him

by Anonymousreply 151December 24, 2019 7:22 AM

[quote]Ending the movie with Old Rose dying in her bed and being reunited with Jack in heaven was really sweet.

My nutty self involved friend at the time thought she just went batty. LOL I had to explain she died.

by Anonymousreply 152December 24, 2019 7:58 AM

I worked for the digital effects company in Venice that did the film. Some back stage production gossip:

The name of the company was Digital Domain and the CEO was Scott Ross. He was a big a-hole account that wanted to be famous producer. I think he worked for ILM before that as an accountant. Of course he never wrote a scripts, went to film school or touched a 3D program in his life. So he convinced two other big names at the time, James Cameron and Stan Winston to become partners in his company as the creatives driving it forward. Titanic was the first joint venture for the three. At the time, its was considered the hottest digital effects house in Hollywood. When I wore a hat with the logo, total strangers would ask me if I could get them a job there.

It all went down hill form there. Massive over runs, 400 digital artists working 80 hours a week, location shots, model makers and a life size portion of the ship built in Rosarito Mexico complete with real people on the decks as it starts to sink. That was really not crazy for Hollywood, but the CEO being an accountant was not having it. He tried to cut the budget in half and he and James got into a bitter fight. To add insult to injury, he tried to charge Jame Cameron millions of dollars for the digital effects even though he was a partner in the very same company. They weren't even speaking to each other by the time the filming ended. But happy endings for the investors, actors, James Cameron, it made a ton of money.

As for Digital Domain, they suffered big time for that because the CEO was so short sided burning his bridges on the very first movie. He tried to make one of his own called A Thousand Cranes and while we got weekly updates on how well the script was coming along, it never got off the ground. They made a few movies after that mostly focused on digital effects but no one really wanted to work with him after that. Scott Ross never became the famous producer he dreamed of. He eventually got pushed out by the investors and the company got sold off to a Chinese company for pennies on the dollar. They still maintain a studio in LA but just a shell of their former glory.

Moral of the story, Accountants ruin everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 24, 2019 8:41 AM

R153 is why I still love DL.

by Anonymousreply 154December 24, 2019 8:42 AM

R152 Yes. Many reviewers and YT vids argued for why Rose died at the end. Being reunited with her DEAD lover from Titanic and ALL the people who DIED on the Titanic is a big clue. Plus didn't Jack literally say: You're gonna die an OLD WOMAN warm in your bed.

by Anonymousreply 155December 24, 2019 9:52 AM

The problem with that last scene is that even the morally-bankrupt rich people were in heaven - that's bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 156December 24, 2019 6:01 PM

The one thing I will never ever forget about this movie is that bitch of a queen Rex Reed referring to the love scene as looking like a chihuahua mounting a golden retriever

by Anonymousreply 157December 24, 2019 6:10 PM

I remember when it was playing in New York City, countless men were kicked out of theaters for wanking their meat during the painting scene. Kate's nips drove men to a self-partnering frenzy. Think of all the seats coated in their jizz. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 158December 24, 2019 6:28 PM

So many dumb things about this movie. Throughout the second half Jack and Rose are wading and running through freezing cold water (the ship hasn't even sunk yet) ; all she's wearing is a filmy garment that looks like a nightgown. In reality anyone in freezing water would be incapacitated quickly. And the scene where he's floating in freezing water and giving his "never let go" speech...what crap! Anyone up to their neck in freezing water wouldn't be able to talk, much less make a farewell speech. And here's an example of the brilliant dialogue: "Jack! Jack! Jack!" More brilliant dialogue: "Rose! Rose! Rose!" JA

by Anonymousreply 159December 24, 2019 8:08 PM

The ending was IIRC meant to be ambiguous whether it was a dream or "heaven". You can believe whichever works for you.

by Anonymousreply 160December 24, 2019 11:11 PM

Actually R146, his name was Randy. We met Halloween night 1994, the day after the doctor's told him he had three months to live. We took the plunge and began dating, taking each day as it came. In May of 1996, we were sitting in the movie theater when Randy turned to me and told me he needed to move back home to just outside Portland OR to "tie up loose ends."

Without a moment's hesitation, I agreed to his decision and the additional request that I not be there the day of departure because he didn't think he could handle it. We spoke by phone weekly, always ending our conversations with "I love you." We made plans for me to come up for Thanksgiving, but he died on October 15th after a week in the hospital. We spoke for the last time the day before he was admitted. He made his sister promise not to call me until after he passed. I went up for the funeral and helped spread his ashes.

Later, in talking with his sister, she told me they had discussed if Randy had gotten to do everything he wanted in life. He told her that he was able to reconcile with his father and he got to experience true love. When I told her that in his lifetime, he'd been in love with two people, her reply was "He didn't mention anyone else."

So, R146, I hope one day you experience what I was blessed to.

Perhaps then you won't be so jaded. Green isn't a pretty color on you.

by Anonymousreply 161December 25, 2019 12:07 AM

My younger brother had just turned 30 and blew his brains out in July of that year. Titanic was a welcome diversion however the words of that song "you're here in my heart and my heart will go on and on." Rang in my ears on and on. . . if you will.

Sarah Mclachian's "Arms Of The Angels" also helped intensify the grief. I really tried to stay away from regular radio.

by Anonymousreply 162December 25, 2019 12:21 AM

R162 hahaha. Hilarious story. You and 161 made me laugh so hard with your pathetic stories. Thinking anyone would give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 163December 25, 2019 6:05 AM

r163 = Cal

by Anonymousreply 164December 25, 2019 6:11 AM

R164 worst fake victim/martyr ever. Horrible EST.

by Anonymousreply 165December 25, 2019 6:13 AM

I was brought up watching Titanic movies, and so this one was singularly lacking in any sense of the reality of Titanic. It was a boring love story about a whore who has nothing like a heart of gold.

by Anonymousreply 166December 25, 2019 6:19 AM

Well I guess you put me in my place R163. Your witty retorts are so refreshingly original and cutting edge. I'm still bleeding. Here I've been enjoying Woollcott, Parker, Mankiewicz, Stewart, Loos and Fitzgerald, when all I really had to do was come to DL for your pearls.

by Anonymousreply 167December 26, 2019 10:31 PM

TIT-AH-NIK

by Anonymousreply 168December 26, 2019 10:37 PM

"Old Rose" was offered to Jane Wyatt of "Father Knows Best." When she refused to come out of retirement, Gloria Stuart was cast.

by Anonymousreply 169December 26, 2019 10:39 PM

Titanic was a garbage movie with a basic and uninteresting plot. It was a complete waste of time

by Anonymousreply 170December 26, 2019 10:42 PM

Thank you, OP and whomever revived this thread. Christmas here doesn’t end after presents are opened, but all the gifts are now broken in, guests gone, and we’ve watched almost every Christmas movie we’d want to. This is a welcome departure, kids know enough to be interested (saw the exhibit a few years ago, too). And I appreciate the nostalgia of when it debuted. Thanks, again!

And while I only scanned the end of this thread, love and hugs to R161. Best wishes to all in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 171December 26, 2019 11:06 PM

It's Citizen Kane compared to Avatar

by Anonymousreply 172December 26, 2019 11:08 PM

On AMC now.

Poor Bill Paxton's character has searched years for the necklace and the old bitch doesn't tell him she has it and throws in the ocean.

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 173January 7, 2020 4:28 AM

And so, I said get off my fucking piece of drift wood you pauper, oh, um I mean I said " I'll never let you go, never let you go." - Rose

by Anonymousreply 174January 7, 2020 4:36 AM

Okay. While this film was still the hottest ticket at the box-office, a friend sent me an Academy screener on VHS (takes you back, doesn't it?). At the time I was teaching 7th grade, and we had a major event which involved months of preparation and an all-day clean-up afterward. I drew a short straw, and so I got to house all the students not involved in the cleanup operations. "Show a movie," my colleagues said. So, showing off, I edited the sex and nudity from the film, and brought it in to show the kiddies. When I announced the title, they hooted and laughed and said, "Yeah, right..." Several knew the video release date was still months and months away. But once the film started, they freaked out and stared at the tiny TV screen, rapt. Every now and then, one of the students had to go to the bathroom, but they always came right back. When the double period was over and I turned the lights back on, I discovered I had more that twenty extra students in the room! Word got out that I was showing Titanic, and kids started ditching their classes to see it. It was my one and only day of being The Cool Teacher.

by Anonymousreply 175January 7, 2020 5:22 AM

R173, SPOILER ALERT please.

by Anonymousreply 176January 7, 2020 12:13 PM

R176 fuck you, if you haven't seen the movie. The ship sinks, everybody dies.

by Anonymousreply 177January 7, 2020 3:38 PM

I like taking movies like this, "The Sound of Music", "The Ten Commandments", "The Wizard of Oz" and others and pretend I'm watching them backwards. This would make the film about a bunch of people stranded in the ocean being rescued, ending up on a ship that miraculously appears from the sea and sails back to Europe. Some old lady is brought out to explain how she was saved from paddling a big board to living in luxury, had an affair with a hot peasant, and ended up engaged to a real jackass who gave her a gift of a valuable piece of jewelry. But at least she got that one good lay in even if the jealous millionaire asshole tried to kill them and ended up being stuck with him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 178January 7, 2020 7:59 PM

R178 take your anti-psychotics, moron. That is just retarded.

by Anonymousreply 179January 7, 2020 10:07 PM

I saw it once, but that was only after hearing about it for weeks. I recognize TITANIC for the cinematic milestone epic it was, but I heard too much hype (and that song) for so long that ultimately it was a big letdown. I won't see it again.

by Anonymousreply 180January 8, 2020 12:44 AM

Incidentally, why didn't Jack wear a hat or some type of cap? It would've been inconceivable for a man/boy/anyone to go bareheaded outdoors, because hats also protected the head/hair from dirt/grime/elements.

Also, his long, flowing hair was anachronistic for the time period, except for when he slicked it back for the dinner party scene. Then, he looked authentic. Otherwise, he looked straight out of a 1990s teen drama!

by Anonymousreply 181January 25, 2020 11:43 PM

[quote] Incidentally, why didn't Jack wear a hat or some type of cap?

Very few of the men were depicted wearing hats.

[quote]Also, his long, flowing hair was anachronistic for the time period,

It’s not like he could’ve afforded regular haircuts.

by Anonymousreply 182January 26, 2020 12:10 AM

R182 Every man/woman/child boarding the ship or bidding farewell were seen wearing hats, except for Leo. Even his buddies Fabrizio and Tommy wore caps. When they showed Jack and Rose walking outside the ship, everyone else wore hats then, too, but them (I believe Rose only wore a hat during the boarding). People just didn't go bareheaded outdoors in those times, including if they were poor. Even during the Depression twenty years later, the poor/drifters made an effort to cut/style their hair and wear a hat.

It wasn't until the 1940s that young people began eschewing hats because they started viewing the custom as passe. Furthermore, people weren't walking outdoors as much anymore, what with cars being more affordable and plentiful, so they didn't need further protection from the elements. Also, car roofs had also lowered, which made wearing a hat inside one a tight fit. By the '50s, only older people clinging to the custom, businessmen, and women who wanted to be seen as 'fashionable' wore hats. By the mid-'60s, the practice had all but died out.

Re haircuts: Poor people made an effort to look presentable, unless they were mentally ill or batshit crazy. Even if he couldn't get a regular haircut, Jack would've styled his hair similarly to how he wore it for the dinner party, tucked under a hat when outdoors. Remember, 1912 was still considered the Edwardian Era , when toddler boys wore dresses until they were breached (i.e., toilet trained) and young boys were not allowed to wear long pants until they came of age. Similarly, teenage girls would begin wearing long skirts, corsets, and their long hair piled up on their head once they entered womanhood. All of that changed post-WWI (c. 1918).

by Anonymousreply 183January 26, 2020 1:00 AM

However, hat-wearing continued for another couple of decades!

by Anonymousreply 184January 26, 2020 1:02 AM

No one gives a fuck if anyone wore a hat during that period.

by Anonymousreply 185January 26, 2020 1:09 AM

I love hats!!!

by Anonymousreply 186January 26, 2020 2:13 AM

Cameron has repeatedly said he made the ending deliberately ambiguous (dead or dreaming)

by Anonymousreply 187March 2, 2020 3:25 AM

Yeah right. The fact she walked up stairs at the end and everyone in that scene were dead means she definitely died.

by Anonymousreply 188March 2, 2020 3:30 AM

I saw it twice: once in the theater and later on DVD. After Rose dies and just before she reunites with Jack in heaven's version of the ship, the film melted on screen in the packed room I was in.

Too many screenings with the same reel, perhaps? Everyone in the audience groaned. We were all pissed. Of course, they had to replace the reel or people would be demanding refunds.

Leo was boyish and charming in it. He has aged into a bloated mess. I've always thought there was something off every time Kate Winslet did an American accent. At least hers is not as bad as Emma Watson's.

by Anonymousreply 189March 2, 2020 3:37 AM

But did y'all hear hoe miss Dion did not want to record my heart will go on forbthe 10000000000000th time?

by Anonymousreply 190March 2, 2020 3:39 AM

"Cameron has repeatedly said he made the ending deliberately ambiguous (dead or dreaming."

Of for God's sake, the ending was so fucking obvious. She dies an old lady in bed, just like Jack predicted, after a long and wonderful life. And she wakes up young again, in the afterlife back on the Titanic, and is reunited with all the people who died there, and of course with her true love, young Jack Dawson. Blech!

by Anonymousreply 191March 2, 2020 3:42 AM

Should have been a Zero option. Haven't seen it to this day and doubt I ever shall. I 𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒍𝒚 dislike Leonardo's face His presence in ANY film is an automatic dealbreaker.

by Anonymousreply 192March 2, 2020 3:48 AM

R191 Not to mention that in that scene the camera pans to show all the photos of Rose doing all the things she and Jack spoke of doing together (e.g., riding a horse astride, the roller coaster at the Santa Monica pier, riding on an airplane). She had fulfilled everything she had promised.

by Anonymousreply 193March 2, 2020 4:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!