Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘In the Heights’ 🇩🇴 Movie starring Anthony Ramos

In the Heights is a musical with music and lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda and a book by Quiara Alegría Hudes. The story is set over the course of three days, involving characters in the largely Hispanic-American neighborhood of Washington Heights in New York City.

The movie is adapted from the first Tony-winning musical created by Lin-Manuel Miranda, with the book written by Quiara Alegria Hudes. The show takes place in New York City's Washington Heights (the neighborhood in which Miranda grew up) and follows its residents as they dream, struggle, hope, live, and love. The film stars Anthony Ramos (A Star Is Born) as Usnavi, the role originated by Miranda on Broadway; Melissa Barrera (Vida) as Vanessa; Leslie Grace as Nina; Corey Hawkins (Straight Outta Compton) as Benny; Dasha Polanco (Orange is the New Black) as Cuca; Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn 99) as Carla; Daphne Rubin-Vega (Rent) as Daniela; Jimmy Smits as Kevin Rosario; and Olga Merediz reprising Abuela, the role she originated on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 13, 2021 12:17 AM

Looks good aside from Anthony Ramos. I saw him in Hamilton and found he lacked charisma on stage. He and Philipa Soo were weak and bland compared to the others and I don't think Ramos is interesting or talented enough to carry a film.

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2019 10:48 PM

Lin Miranda is an insufferable self-promoting closet case.

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2019 10:59 PM

Self-indulgent and pointless.

by Anonymousreply 3December 15, 2019 11:05 PM

It was filmed in Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 4December 15, 2019 11:11 PM

Embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2019 11:24 PM

I think it looks promising. Anthony Ramos is a rising star, and he has a new album out which is actually pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 5, 2020 8:08 PM

SO embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 7February 5, 2020 10:24 PM

Is whatever “rap” thing he is writing really good? I find it cringey.

by Anonymousreply 8February 5, 2020 11:37 PM

Why the fuck is this self-indulgent? Because he’s created a show that reflects his own life? Because it centers on a life outside of white culture? Because he used “rap”? The quotation marks are gold, btw, ripped right from. BILL TAYLOR post!

FFS, some of you sound older than Kirk Douglas.

by Anonymousreply 9February 5, 2020 11:45 PM

I don't like rap and thought I'd hate "ITH," but I actually adored it. I've seen it twice now and I'd see it again.

by Anonymousreply 10February 5, 2020 11:45 PM

The charm of the stage show has been replaced with ICE raids and wokeness.

by Anonymousreply 11February 5, 2020 11:53 PM

He’s hot

by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2020 12:03 AM

Obvious hotness aside, I like his song Mind Over Matter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2020 1:26 AM

Three more days!

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2021 1:50 PM

I'll pass on this.

by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2021 1:56 PM

I saw Ramos in Hamilton on Broadway but really was struck by how much more compelling he was in the filmed version.

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2021 2:02 PM

R1, When I saw HAMILTON at the Public Theater, Anthony Ramos was the most charismatic performer in the show.

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2021 2:16 PM

I love all the no nothing cunts, r1/assholes, r5/pricks, r7, who just HAVE to be the first ones to give the negative nelly reviews a year and a half before the movie opens. So embarrassing! What's it like to be nasty POS every day of your lives?

This film has life. I'm going to see in in IMAX but I'm excited to just go to the movies period. This is the perfect way to celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2021 2:18 PM

The appeal of Miranda and Ramos escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2021 2:21 PM

I didn't expect to like In The Heights on Broadway, as I'm not a rap fan at all -but I loved it. I've seen it on the stage several times since (tours and regional productions) and it holds up as a great evening out. Miranda's score is much more than rap, and has some really beautiful songs with intelligent lyrics. I can't wait to see the film. It will be my first post-covid movie.

Haters gonna hate, R18. Especially on DL. Just ignore them and enjoy the film!

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2021 2:21 PM

LMM and Ramos skipped the LA premiere 2 days ago in order to prepare for the Tribeca Premiere in Washington Heights on Thursday at the United Palace.

Also on Thur. he's showing the film for free outside in a couple of parks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 8, 2021 2:23 PM

Seriously, the guy only had one of the most successful Broadway shows ever—maybe THE most successful Broadway show ever—but he sucks on DL. I get some people may not like his style, but wait until the movie is actually out...

The movie looks wonderful btw.

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2021 2:25 PM

I play a glamorous movie star whose limo breaks down in The Heights. Everyone gathers around while I sing "Eres Tu" while strumming an accoustic guitar. People are already whispering "Best Supporting Actress nom", but I think it would be a 'career Oscar'.

by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2021 2:38 PM

He’s very charismatic and my type

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2021 5:06 PM

Why aren't there black people in the leads?

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2021 5:31 PM

They skipped L.A altogether. Not a good look if you want this film to be a hit with Hispanics.

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2021 5:37 PM

r25, nice joke, but there is a black lead. Corey Hawkins is the second male lead.

(The thing some people have been complaining about is colorism--that they cast light-skinned Latinos, with no darker-skinned Latinos.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2021 6:14 PM

Shit. Everybody complains about everything. Just STFU and be happy that you are getting some representation. Probably a bunch of woke white girls doing most of the complaining.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2021 6:35 PM

I can’t wait to watch

by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2021 12:53 AM

THREAD STEALER!

THREAD USURPER!

R14 IS A VILE CUNT!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 11, 2021 12:59 AM

Does anyone else think that Lin-Manuel got a chin implant?

He did something…

by Anonymousreply 31June 11, 2021 1:09 AM

What?

by Anonymousreply 32June 11, 2021 1:38 AM

huh?

by Anonymousreply 33June 11, 2021 1:42 AM

I just PRAY there are no white people in it to appropriate my visual stimuli of color with whiteness.

by Anonymousreply 34June 11, 2021 1:43 AM

Is AOC in it?

by Anonymousreply 35June 11, 2021 2:35 AM

About to watch y’all

by Anonymousreply 36June 11, 2021 9:17 PM

Got tickets for tomorrow afternoon. First time going to the movies in over two years!

They better have plenty of popcorn!

by Anonymousreply 37June 11, 2021 9:50 PM

They will

by Anonymousreply 38June 11, 2021 10:19 PM

Anthony Ramos is a superstar. He embodies this role like no one else could. His performance is so earnest, so pure. I didn’t want it to end because of him.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2021 3:51 PM

It's great but every time a rap hit is was Hamilton style.

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2021 4:10 PM

Um. In The Heights was written years before Hamilton. When Hamilton raps, it's In The Heights style...

by Anonymousreply 41June 12, 2021 5:21 PM

Facts

by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2021 5:36 PM

Remember he wrote this in 1999 in his second year of college. You can see that it was first describes as a hip-hop "RENT" but now An entire generation has gone by.

IRL He's the Daniela character, "the one who got out" and went to college and found success but decided to stay in the heights. He still lives on the river in one of the apartments in the movie, he didn't move Tribeca or Brentwood.

ITH has no memorable tune or showstopper, it's the first musical I've seen that I can't recall a single tune. The dancing and music was fantastic and even my fairly humorless husband laughed quite a bit. The characters were very real. Ramos was amazing and loveable.

by Anonymousreply 43June 12, 2021 5:45 PM

r43

1. He didn't write the book, just the music

2. What did he "get out" of? His parents were upper middle class professionals.

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2021 5:50 PM

Yes, he was better off than most in the neighborhood but it was a dangerous time for anyone who lived here, "upper middle class professionals" or not. He didn't grow up with in a doorman building. Now, they're fucking rich and they haven't gone anywhere.

1. So what, you think that the two things are unrelated? In an AMAZING coincidence the book reflected LMM's life in the two main characters.

2. His father still lives in the same house they didn't flee across the river to Alpine like a bunch of other urban celebs. A old friend of mine from the Bronx changed her name, lost her accent, bleached her hair, went to UCLA got rich and famous and "grew up outside NY".

3. Why is important to you to challenge me on this? It's weird, are you a failed actor/writer/waiter or just a pedantic twit?

by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2021 6:14 PM

Just home from seeing the film.

General impression: it was great. I think this will be one of the few musicals that will please those who don't like musicals.

It's really long -they added a lot of scenes which balanced out the music that was cut. The cast was uniformly outstanding. Dancing was incredible. I expect several Oscar nods when the time comes. Trouble is everyone is in a supporting role, so they may split the vote and get nothing on the night.

You have to stay through the end credits for an extra bit -I won't say what it is, but it was something I noticed was cut from the stage score, and I was really disappointed. Having it show up as a stinger sent me out of the theater with a big smile.

by Anonymousreply 46June 13, 2021 4:23 AM

I really thought the opening weekend box office would be higher, even with it being on HBOMax.

by Anonymousreply 47June 13, 2021 4:33 AM

So woke! 🥺

by Anonymousreply 48June 13, 2021 4:34 AM

ITH is onscreen serotonin, a delightful way to celebrate the emergence from pandemic life

by Anonymousreply 49June 13, 2021 2:01 PM

I like the film a lot. Fun musical/dance sequences and Anthony Ramos is very good. Every time LMM was on screen it annoyed me and of course he had to ——SPOILER —— insert himself after the credits so the film “almost” ends with his face.

Id like to see Abuela get an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 50June 13, 2021 3:28 PM

"Abuela, I'm happy 'cause now I just showered

And I'm feelin' right now especially empowered!"

by Anonymousreply 51June 13, 2021 3:32 PM

Ay, dios mio!

by Anonymousreply 52June 13, 2021 3:35 PM

Why do people keep saying it’s “Woke” without specifying? I’m ok with (and in fact support) a certain level of Woke but when it goes completely off the rails I like to stay clear.

Is it “Woke” just because it’s about Latinos in New York?

by Anonymousreply 53June 13, 2021 3:52 PM

Olga Merediz deserved to rack up awards

by Anonymousreply 54June 13, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote] Is it “Woke” just because it’s about Latinos in New York?

This will explain how woke it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2021 4:08 PM

[quote] This will explain how paywalled it is.

FTFY

by Anonymousreply 56June 13, 2021 4:13 PM

‘In the Heights’ is more than a movie to its cast. It’s a celebration of Latinas throughout history.

By Candice Frederick

There’s a beating heart within every frame of “In the Heights,” the film adaptation of Quiara Alegría Hudes and Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Tony-winning musical directed by Jon M. Chu.

It comes from the joy of young romance in Washington Heights — between bodega owner Usnavi (Anthony Ramos) and aspiring stylist Vanessa (Melissa Barrera), as well as dispatch worker Benny (Corey Hawkins) and Stanford student Nina (Leslie Grace). It’s seen in the spirited song and dance sequences that leap from the doors of a chatty hair salon and spill out into a July-hot alleyway and off the screen. The root of this passion is a rich tapestry of Latin history, and what it means to remember, celebrate and pass it down to younger members of the community who have their own dreams.

“How do we reckon our particular challenges and dreams with those of a different generation?” Hudes asks on Zoom. “How do we understand what each other have faced and struggled?”

That question could best be answered by the barrio’s fierce matriarchs, Abuela Claudia (Olga Merediz), who emigrated with her mother from Cuba in the 1940s, and Daniela (Daphne Rubin-Vega), the gregarious coiffeuse whose salon has been the epicenter for conversation and social activity for years. “Abuela is the matriarch and I call Daniela the priestess,” Rubin-Vega says proudly.

The Panama-born, two-time Tony-nominated actress, who originated the role of Mimi in “Rent,” is now in the role of an elder on the block — one of the women who keeps the residents honest about their cultural strength while empowering them to explore their own identity. “[They] give permission for our histories to evolve, to incorporate new customs and yet remain grounded in the legacy that we have brought from wherever we’ve come.”

When Nina is torn between staying on the block where she’s thrived with people she knows and loves, or return to college where she feels culturally isolated, it is Abuela Claudia who reminds her that she can take pieces of herself wherever she goes, as Claudia has with her own mom’s embroidered napkins. She describes them as “little details that tell the world we are not invisible.”

Similarly, Daniela admonishes her millennial patrons as well as her colleagues (played by Dascha Polanco and Stephanie Beatriz) for mourning the fact that their favorite salon has been priced out of the neighborhood and will move less conveniently to the Bronx. “Our people survived slave ships, Taíno genocide, conquistadores,” she sings. Certainly, they “can survive the D train to the Grand Concourse.”

“The thing that I love about Daniela is she has such a wild and positive sense of humor that she actually can address somewhat painful episodes in history with levity,” Hudes says about the character, who is inspired by an amalgam of cousins, her Puerto Rican mother and other female spiritual leaders she saw growing up in Philadelphia. “I love her ability to call people out and call them in just with a joke.

While it sometimes shares critical messages with a wink and a smile, “In the Heights” — in theaters and on HBO Max on June 11 — is no less urgent in the truth that Latin people have a storied heritage, one that should embolden them even in places they may feel unseen and unheard, including in their own gentrifying neighborhood. And it is up to women like Abuela Claudia and Daniela, who have no biological children of their own but watch out for people in their community as if they do, to show them the path that’s already been paved.

(cont.)

by Anonymousreply 57June 13, 2021 4:21 PM

(cont.) “I just pulled from the ancestors,” Ramos says of his performance. “There was a store owner named Leo who ran the bodega around the corner from where I grew up. He knew everything, all the gossip, was friends with everybody in the hood. Usnavi reminded me of a younger version of him.”

Like Leo, Usnavi is the centerpiece of the block, the man working with the dream of returning to the Dominican Republic. But before he does, he makes sure he passes down the names of phenomenal Latinas in history — such as Celia Cruz, Frida Kahlo and the Mirabal sisters — to children in the neighborhood to empower them throughout their lives.

“I feel that Usnavi’s telling these children about the matriarchs,” Hudes says. “When he’s talking to these little girls, there’s not one model of what strength looks like. You’re going to hit roadblocks. He’s quizzing them. One of the girls adds, of course, ‘You forgot Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor.’ ”

This moment is vindication that not only have stories about cultural legacy been inherited, but they’re cherished so much they can be recited to the teacher without prompt.

“I like the notion that even though there’s absolutely male and female characters, that in some ways it’s about also passing on notions of what all the different paths can look like to be a strong Latina,” Hudes says. “That’s what Usnavi’s doing with those kids.”

That’s what “In the Heights” shows with Nina and Vanessa as well. They’re young women on the cusp of launching their own stories beyond what’s been predestined. For Nina, it’s the many sacrifices of her father (Jimmy Smits) to send her to college, and for Vanessa, it’s her desire to make a name for herself downtown and untethered to the close-knit barrio.

“In the Heights,” a story written out of a yearning to expand the images of Latin people while celebrating their cultural journeys, bridges both the past and present for a promising future that would please the ancestors — showing that it can not only be accomplished but that it is necessary.

Miranda feels a deep sense of fulfillment knowing that he has done just that, even as he continues to be boosted by his foremothers. In his own way, he’s helped clear a path for others like the one that was cleared for him. This almost immediately hit him when he stepped onto the film set.

“I’m rolling by as the Piragua Guy,” he recalls fondly, “and I said, ‘Jon, just give me one take where I want to try something.’ I’m just supposed to say, like, ‘¿Cómo estás, Señor Usnavi?’ And I turned to [Ramos], touched his face and said, ‘I’m so proud of you.’ ”

by Anonymousreply 58June 13, 2021 4:23 PM

Apparently it’s “woke” because it tells a story outside of the mainstream culture

by Anonymousreply 59June 13, 2021 4:23 PM

Loved the green crab

by Anonymousreply 60June 13, 2021 4:52 PM

The film will only be gratuitously woke when everyone in the audience already knows who Celia Cruz, Frida Kahlo, and the Mirabal sisters were and what they accomplished. Until then, it's sharing stories that many in the audience haven't heard before.

Most of the audience are like the tourists at the top of the film who got off the A Train and have no idea where they are, never having been that far north of Times Square before. So what if the film has lessons? It teaches them with style, taste, humor, and love.

by Anonymousreply 61June 13, 2021 6:13 PM

r53- "Woke" is a slur used by the right to give cover for their heinous prejudices and fascist policies. The same troll is everywhere these days trying to force it in to every discussion.

by Anonymousreply 62June 13, 2021 8:35 PM

I'm so fucking sick of these bitching black women. Why does everything have to be related to black? So fucking sick of the SJWs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 13, 2021 8:39 PM

Root comment: I’m going to go out on a limb here and say LMM probably didn’t see a lot of people who looked like him in media. So when he made some media of his own, he wanted to center it around people who looked like him.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Okay? It’s still representation even if doesn’t include everyone under the sun. Like weren’t Black people everywhere upset with that chick from Jane the Virgin when she was like “Where are the Latinos” when Black Panther came out. And I got that COMPLETELY. We’re celebrating Blackness right now, so stop making it about you. ITs’ about a group that hasn’t felt represented, so please sit down.

by Anonymousreply 64June 13, 2021 9:11 PM

Here's why Anthony Ramos is destined for stardom -at least on Datalounge!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 13, 2021 10:20 PM

He is naked in She’s Gotta Have It.

by Anonymousreply 66June 13, 2021 10:24 PM

In Treatment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 15, 2021 12:25 PM

I agree that Ramos was wonderful in the role. He has the door next door vibe going on, charming and relatable.

by Anonymousreply 68June 15, 2021 12:41 PM

^Every gay man's dream a hot, hung, Latino top who sings show tunes.

by Anonymousreply 69June 15, 2021 3:35 PM

r67="video currently unavailable"

by Anonymousreply 70June 15, 2021 5:35 PM

Copyright violation

by Anonymousreply 71June 15, 2021 5:49 PM

All I'm reading about it is that's racist. Because the cast is exclusively "European Latinx."

And it was directed by a non-Latinx. Which makes it even racistier.

by Anonymousreply 72June 15, 2021 5:52 PM

Thirst

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2021 2:06 PM

I wasn't expecting to see it, but went with family while I was on vacation. We all agreed we really liked the performers, especially the Abuela and Anthony Ramos. The music was not as good as the actors, but was still enjoyable, especially the Carnaval song and the song at the pool . None of us liked the dancing (too much Busby Berkeley), and we thought there were real problems with the story, central to which is that the central character of Vanessa didn't seem worth Usnavi's devotion.

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2021 2:22 PM

It's too long. It seemed to end when the power went back on, but then we had to have all those storylines wrapped up happily over the next half hour.

by Anonymousreply 75June 24, 2021 2:49 PM

And could someone explain to me what the point of Lin-Manuel Miranda's character was? He is also protesting approaching gentrification, but that seems to be it.

by Anonymousreply 76June 24, 2021 2:58 PM

Miranda's character, Piragua Guy, had more to do in the stage show. He represents the newer immigrants and those lower down the economic scale (pushcart as opposed to store front). The original plan was to cut the role from the show, but the librettist convinced Lin-Manuel to play the role, assuring that it wouldn't be cut from the film (though it was trimmed down considerably).

by Anonymousreply 77June 24, 2021 5:14 PM

Cutie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 12, 2021 5:39 PM

I thought the highlights of the movie were Jimmy Smits & the unexpected appearance of Marc Anthony; other than that, it just felt really.....long. The performances were all good & I thought that rather than focusing on Gentrification Is Very Bad, I thought at least in part the message was that the neighborhood was always changing, evolving. It wasn't bad, but not that great either.

by Anonymousreply 79July 12, 2021 6:01 PM

Is Ramos’ career over after ITH?

by Anonymousreply 80July 12, 2021 9:31 PM

No, he’s gonna be in the next Transformers

by Anonymousreply 81July 13, 2021 12:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!