Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm starting to think TPTB and wealthy people know something

Something really horrible and they're all doing everything they can to grab as much money and stuff and power as possible before this terrible thing happens.

Politicians, billionaires, the glitterati, whatever. Everyone seems to be scrambling saying fuck everything and doing what they can to amass as much wealth as possible, as if we're heading for a catastrophe.

by Anonymousreply 96December 18, 2019 2:13 AM

The aliens are landing.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 2:50 PM

They already landed in 1986, you big dummy!

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 2:51 PM

Humans were a bad experiment.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 2:57 PM

I've had the same thoughts OP, but after some reflection, I've come to the conclusion that it's all just greed. The more you have, the more you want. Greed is one of humanity's seven deadly sins for a reason. That's over half of Americans are in credit card debt with no savings: they want more and more and more.

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 3:00 PM

*That's why over half of Americans are in credit card debt

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 3:00 PM

I think it's a secret society thing where some bogus apocalypse prophecy makes them believe that they have little time left to fill their greedy pockets.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 3:03 PM

You mean like Bohemian Grove, R6?

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 3:05 PM

Would they do anything differently if they didn't?

No. Cruelty and greed are compulsions, OP. They may think they know something, but most likely that is just self-serving rationalization.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 3:05 PM

I think they are out for their own, which allows them to easily compromise their integrity. They definitely protect one another because exposing corruption would lead to their own exposure.

If society collapses or struggles, they know they can protect those they care about.

In the meantime, their egos need to be fed.

I was never one for conspiracy theories, but I no longer have much trust for those in power.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 3:09 PM

Great replies so far. I was worried I'd be labeled a ranting loony.

It seems that the usual level of greed, avarice and grabs for power we're all used to seeing has escalated.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 3:11 PM

Similar to the greedy robber barons in the Gilded Age. Also the print media was acting irresponsibly as well. What we're seeing is nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 3:17 PM

r7, yes.

[quote] I was never one for conspiracy theories, but I no longer have much trust for those in power.

Call me (conspiracy) Mary! but I do believe our whole society (including the world governments) is a snake oil salesmen based scam. We are raised to believe we are broken and we need stuff and outside guidance to live a what others (with an agenda) have defined as proper and productive life. But that path never really feels good for some reason (like, say, a gay man having to stay in the closet in order to be accepted by his conservative peers). And then we are bombarded with messages about what's wrong in our lives and who else (aka scapegoat) is to blame and where we can join to punish those who are apparently responsible for our own misery. And we are encouraged to hate, hate, and hate some more so we have more motivation to hate and be mean to others. And under no circumstances are we supposed to deal with our actual issues and rather take pills, drugs, or alcohol to deal with symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 3:22 PM

What you're seeing are the byproducts of greed R12 and not some large, linked conspiracy. The "you're broken and need stuff" gimmick is used by religions and corporations alike, and they and the government also use scapegoats to keep people fighting amongst themselves instead of taking on those who have real power.

They all use these methods because they work. They've worked for millennia.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 3:27 PM

Very well said, R12. There must be some social engineering strategies at work though, not just corporate greed, R13. Why am I saying this? For example, Hollywood seems to produce movies that are oddly consistent with the US political strategy du jour.

For example, "Troy" (the de-gayed shitfest with Brad Pitt) and "300" were made at times when military conflict between the USA and the Middle East was escalating. In both films, the enemy comes from the East and is dehumanized and demonized (the faceless soldiers in 300 and the drag-queeny Xerxes against the proper, heterosexual and bearded "our guys"). Seeing this creates a certain worldview in the uncritical masses.

The art indoctrination tactic has been used for millennia to shape the worldview of the plebes, so why not now? We see the machinations of governments in the history books - why do we refuse to see them now? Why every suspicion of shady, behind-the-scenes governmental tactics is called a conspiracy theory? Don't we have the right to think critically anymore and to question our masters?

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2019 3:41 PM

In theory anyway, R14, we have that right, but too few people know how to do it anymore.

Critical thinking is a lost art.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2019 3:50 PM

"Conspiracy theory" is a gaslighting phrase used to maintain an abusive status quo.

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2019 3:58 PM

Naaa, its always been this way. Humanity has always lived on the verge of catastrophe, at least for hundreds or thousands of years.

Remember “no drama Obama”? Now we have “more drama Trump”. He thrives on conflict and lies, just like Satan. So, it seems worse than in the past, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2019 3:59 PM

In the short term, at least an economic pullback if not a full-blown recession is coming in the next year or so; at the very least the smart money is expecting one. I'm not sure if it's the apocalypse (it will be if Trump and a Republican Senate are re-elected) or just something routinely cyclical but the rich appear to be protecting themselves these days against the downside that's coming.

In some ways it's already here: luxury real estate in Manhattan is tanking, billions are flowing out of equities and into cash equivalents, the underclass (that is: most of us) is incredibly stressed financially. It's all happened before and will again unless we manage to destroy the environment in the meantime.

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 4:01 PM

Thank you, Mayor DeBlasio.

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 4:02 PM

There are hoarders at your local trailer park too OP.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 4:23 PM

If there was a mass catastrophe then money would surely become fairly meaningless - unless they have used their wealth to build a self-sustaining environment that they can exist in for the rest of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 4:32 PM

I feel like OP when I go out in public because corporations have stopped doing simple things like cleaning the floors every night.

I see brand new establishments go to seed within a year. So it’s like they don’t care about the future. It’s just now, now, now!

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2019 4:34 PM

Oil is about to go away. More and more clean energy, electric cars, refusal to buy cheap Chinese manufactured garbage etc. The environment is at a critical phase and most people accept that climate change will upend society. This means the people who made their fortunes in oil and destroyed the environment to make cheap consumer goods have to move their money over to different sources of revenue. Once they’ve figured that out, everything will stabilize. That’s my theory, anyway. It always was and will always be about the super rich protecting their assets.

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2019 4:41 PM

[quote] So it’s like they don’t care about the future. It’s just now, now, now!

Spot on. Once upon a time slogans like "children are our future" meant to nurture and provide for our own future, and future generations, instead of giving in to instant gratification. Nowdays people openly mock young activists like Greta Thunberg or David Hogg.

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2019 4:44 PM

[quote] That’s my theory, anyway. It always was and will always be about the super rich protecting their assets.

Then we should pray that we don't ever get in their way of securing those assets for themselves, like drinkable water.

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2019 4:46 PM

It’s called climate change and global warming.

Land mass will decrease CONSIDERABLY and we will all be left with less resources, and our living conditions will deteriorate exponentially, depending on where we live (developed vs. non-developed vs. developing countries). Our age and health will be critical in order to perhaps survive, because old and new disease will arise endemically, as well as pandemically, and millions of children, elderly, and immune compromised individuals will die, including those who aren’t wealthy or even working middle class, who are lucky enough to have excellent health insurance in Western, developed countries.

So they know what we know. There’s a race to grab as much from the masses as possible, by any means, because one day soon, the masses will no longer be able to spend money on things like cars, blow dryers, snowboards, spinach, etc. Disposable income will become a thing of the past, and food sources will be different. Not everyone will be able to eat vegetables or fruit, or even drink water. It really will be a world, filled with “The Haves and The Have Nots). The world is changing FOREVER within the next 30 to 60 years. Within 100 years, we will no longer live the way we live today.

Almost everyone reading my post on this thread, right now, will be dead, myself included, unless you’re 2 years old, and have taken a liking to datalounge, despite being a toddler who is child genius/prodigy, AND end up living a very long life, because you’re well off enough to do so.

Anyhow, this IS HAPPENING. I’m not sure we will get a grip on this. I hope we do, but I don’t think so. conservative Americans, (meaning specifically, conservatives who aren’t wealthy and/or well educated enough to know better, because the wealthy ones know climate change is VERY real, even if they spout lies on FOX News), just aren’t smart enough to realize when they are being told the truth or a lie anymore.

Unfortunately, private interests have convinced them that they are being lied to by knowledgeable scholars, scientists, experts, and economists, when they’re told that we are, indeed, in trouble. Most of these people are just too brainwashed and mind-fucked to vote for people who can actually help and lead us into the serious undertaking necessary in order preserve our planet, and slow down climate crisis. The rest, honestly, are so selfish & delusional, that they genuinely think/believe the planet is doomed, and deserves to be, because of biblical prophesy, which promises a new world, or planet earth, once we’re all destroyed, because we’re “sinners”. These people actually believe they will somehow enjoy this new planet that is supposed to be brought into existence by some supernatural power, such as God, or Jesus Christ. So fuck everyone, because they are special. So special, in fact, are these “Christians”, that they will be dead people, living in some spirit body, enjoying earth, while we burn in Hell. And the rest of these idiotic Americans? They just don’t give a shit, either way, because they’ve never cared about anything, ever.

If you think that a small, conservative, Christian, evangelical group within the United States, doesn’t have the power to change the world in one of the most negatively impactful ways, ever known to mankind, just take a look at what we are experiencing in America. Part of why we are here today, is because these folks believe in lies, Magic, and “whoo-whoo “ , non existent fairytales, that have made them vote against their own better interests, repeatedly, all of their voting lives. And now look at what has happened as a result of them getting a POTUS who thinks climate change is bullshit, and that we don’t need to participate and lead the way in the Paris Accord. Religion. It’s designed to adversely affect the downtrodden & vulnerable. So yes, OP, something is up. Dishonest, shitty, unscrupulous people are out to get everything they can from us, before we all end up living like a film depicting a dystopian society. We’re almost there, and that’s what is making you take notice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2019 4:53 PM

Who told you OP??????

I hope they realize what we do to Class Traitors once we unmask them.

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2019 4:58 PM

Welcome to Thug world.

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2019 4:59 PM

Start looking at the floors and windows of establishments and you tell me when the last time they were cleaned.

Once you notice it, you remember even 5 years ago that would have never happened.

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2019 5:01 PM

But they won't escape.

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2019 5:03 PM

What about Peter Thiel's island R21?

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2019 5:03 PM

Stupid, self righteous people will die. The smart ones see the early signs. They will escape and find a place where they can live a little bit longer.

I imagine even among the 1% are a lot of stupid, self righteous people who put their trust in a scheme that leads to a painful death for them.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2019 5:03 PM

An environmental biologist told me last year the next world war will be over clean water. She said it's not a matter of if, but when.

America has been trying to make Canada's water part of NAFTA for decades.

Someone on here wrote that he was told a conspiracy theory that many of the oil pipelines that companies are fighting for are empty because they're going to be for water, not gas or oil.

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2019 5:09 PM

Conspiracy theories are rare, and some are probably real. That said, WE THE PEOPLE are the ones who continue to vote for these people and we’re surprised when they legislate policy that enriched them, and economically diminish us?

LOL. If people weren’t so fucking delusional, and learned how to think critically, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, weren’t so fucking narcissistic, and thereby beholden to subscribing to selfish ideologies that they will live forever in some spirit form in heaven or hell, and weren’t afraid of letting go, and accepting the FACT that THIS IS IT, THERE IS NO LIFE AFTER DEATH, then perhaps we would be living in a different world. You know, a world where we take things like climate change, and corrupt Presidents seriously.

But we don’t we live in a world where people are so stupid, even when it’s not their fault, that we live in their non-sensical existence, and by their non sensical rules.

Critical thinking is gone in this country. Narratives are made and propagated by those who laugh at us, all the way to the bank with our money.

It doesn’t have to be this way, but people refuse to grow up, and see the truth. No one, including Jesus, is saving our asses. That’s our job, and if we don’t take responsibility for ourselves, and stop being so fucking stupid and selfish, we will ALWAYS lose the game, because the smarter ones who also happen to be corrupt as fuck, know that there’s a fool born every minute.

We’re HERE, because we have allowed ourselves to be made wage slaves. That’s it. It changes ONLY when WE CHANGE.

by Anonymousreply 34December 11, 2019 5:11 PM

If society collapses, the rich will probably be killed by their bodyguards and assorted thugs, who will take all of their former bosses’ resources and possessions.

by Anonymousreply 35December 11, 2019 5:26 PM

R35 Russia is near collapse and the oligarchs are pretty safe from their employees.

by Anonymousreply 36December 11, 2019 5:29 PM

[quote] We’re HERE, because we have allowed ourselves to be made wage slaves. That’s it. It changes ONLY when WE CHANGE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2019 5:30 PM

Right, cause all that money is worth something in a true catastrophe.

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2019 5:32 PM

Dang. Sorry. Here's the actual link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 11, 2019 5:32 PM

r36 There’s still a judiciary and banking system in Russia. You can’t just kill rich and powerful people with impunity.

by Anonymousreply 40December 11, 2019 5:35 PM

But you can kill everybody else.

by Anonymousreply 41December 11, 2019 5:37 PM

[quote]There’s still a judiciary and banking system in Russia.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 42December 11, 2019 5:39 PM

LOL, R39.

Love me some Mimi. 😘

R38, your statement proves how obtuse you are. The fact that Zimbabwe’s political turmoil and Weimar Germany’s downfall happened in THE PAST, with one of those countries recovering vastly, despite future “bumps in the road”, to put it much too mildly, since we can pontificate on both counties, especially Germans, forever, shows that we’re not talking about the same things.

We are discussing FUTURE EVENTS THAT WILL MAKE MONEY ALMOST, IF NOT COMPLETELY, OBSOLETE AND NATURAL RESOURCES, LIKE A GALLON OF WATER, OR A SINGLE ORANGE TREE, WORTH THOUSANDS.

Trade of goods will replace cash. This is going to happen in third world countries. Actually, it already is.

by Anonymousreply 43December 11, 2019 5:43 PM

R26 Soylent Green is people!

by Anonymousreply 44December 11, 2019 5:46 PM

Me, too, OP.

Unlike my brother, I'm not at all a conspiracy theorist, but last year around this same time I started noticing MUCH longer than usual freight train lines.

At my Dad's house through the kitchen windows I have a clear view of the railroad tracks. And just like last year from December through Jan./Feb., every single train run is insanely long, with 2-4 engine cars pulling between 75-130 cars at one time, at least 95% of them crude oil, ethanol, LPG, aromatics, light ends, and gasoline tanker cars; and the other 5% gravity discharge hopper cars hauling fertilizer, caustics, and other chemicals. (I worked at a refinery for years, so I know my chemicals and transport means)

Last year I assumed the volume was related to Trump's crazy ass shutting down the government and torpedoing the economy.

I used to work at a large refinery, so I know my chemicals and modes of transport. And I grew up in Dad's house, so I know the railroad runs like the back of my hand. We never even saw these type of runs during the 70s oil crisis. Last year was different. And just last week the long-ass runs began again.

So again I wonder, "What gives?" Strategic Oil Reserves? Stockpiling of fuels and chemicals for the 1%'s bunkers?

But something is up, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 45December 11, 2019 5:50 PM

People are ALWAYS scrambling to get whatever they can lay their hands on. It’s human nature.

by Anonymousreply 46December 11, 2019 5:54 PM

R45 that’s interesting. In what direction were the trains heading?

I know fuckall about anything, but is it possible that there’s a truck vs. train thing going on? Screw the truckers kinda deal? Incentives for companies to use rail rather than truck?

by Anonymousreply 47December 11, 2019 5:57 PM

The Almiqui are coming, OP.

by Anonymousreply 48December 11, 2019 6:00 PM

Due North, R47. Always north.

The southbound trains are always 5-25 cars MAX.

by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2019 6:01 PM

TPTD?

Toiled Paper —— XXX - —— XXX

The People (with) Two Dicks?

wut?

by Anonymousreply 50December 11, 2019 6:08 PM

And R47, re: Rail vs Trucks, we're still getting a shit-ton of tanker & chemical trucks going through my city to and from the refineries, chem plants, and paper mills in the general vicinity; and the same numbers of them coming and going east- and westbound on I-10.

All my old friends and bosses I knew at my old job are either dead, moved away, or I'm out of touch with. So I no longer have any contacts in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 51December 11, 2019 6:13 PM

And R47, re: Rail vs Trucks, we're still getting a shit-ton of tanker & chemical trucks going through my city to and from the refineries, chem plants, and paper mills in the general vicinity; and the same numbers of them coming and going east- and westbound on I-10.

All my old friends and bosses I knew at my old job are either dead, moved away, or I'm out of touch with. So I no longer have any contacts in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2019 6:13 PM

The powers that be, R50 (I assume)

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2019 6:13 PM

I think R1 could be right (at least partly). Why has the government started agreeing there could be something alien to UFOs?

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2019 6:18 PM

But the truckers (one named Celadon, anyway) are going bankrupt, idly 4000 trucks. Why can't they compete with rail?

The interior of the country just gets more hollowed out of people and business if you can't deliver to them.

by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2019 6:25 PM

"idling"

by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2019 6:26 PM

That's an interesting post R45.

by Anonymousreply 57December 11, 2019 6:29 PM

R55, trains don't have to contend with cars and their bad drivers, pickup trucks with their super-aggressive wreck-causing drivers, random idiots moving old houses or double-wide trailers on surface streets or Interstate highways, or horrific streets that go largely uncared for.

Our nation's infrastructure is pathetic and it's just shameful how our politicians at every level have refused to make it a priority.

That's one big reason I support Senator Klobuchar; infrastructure reform is a huge plank in her platform, and she's made it a priority since she entered the Senate.

Rail companies are constantly riding their rails to inspect them and repair/replace track and re-grade as needed. We see Kansas City Southern in our area at least every 4-5 weeks; sometimes, like now, every week.

by Anonymousreply 58December 11, 2019 6:43 PM

R47, the Almiqui must have heard your question, because not two minutes ago a southbound train rambled through...with all of three hopper rail cars in tow.

by Anonymousreply 59December 11, 2019 6:48 PM

R10 - it seems to have escalated because we live in world of 24/7 social media saturation which is a constant barrage of the horrific. The algorithms of these media outlets (traditional and otherwise) ensure the most rage or fear inducing topics or stories flood the market and they sideline or downplay anything positive. This is intentional. Keeping people distracted, outraged, despairing, and spiraling with hopelessness encourages a certain type of behavioral docility and/or apathy, which is then easier to manipulate and control further. Stand firm. Refuse to let them drag you down. Engage in mutual flourishing within your chosen communities as much as possible.

by Anonymousreply 60December 11, 2019 8:07 PM

R60 speaks the truth 🙌🏻

by Anonymousreply 61December 11, 2019 8:13 PM

R60 speaks the truth 🙌🏻

by Anonymousreply 62December 11, 2019 8:13 PM

Sorry, I have no idea why my posts come out double today!

by Anonymousreply 63December 11, 2019 8:15 PM

Okay I'm totally freaked out about the trains.

I volunteer at a formal garden on Wed mornings. The train tracks are about a third of a mile away and we usually hear the Amtrack go by around 9:45.

Today at 10 to eleven I stood up and went to mention to my fellow volunteer about the unusual number of trains when she said, "What is going on with all the trains? That last went on forever!"

Shit.

by Anonymousreply 64December 11, 2019 9:52 PM

R45 here again. 50 minutes ago, ANOTHER long train run blew past. Two engines in front pulling 118 tanker cars, then two hopper cars and another engine bringing up the rear.

Northbound, of course.

'Tis flummoxing.🤔

by Anonymousreply 65December 11, 2019 10:15 PM

There's no grand conspiracy. What it comes down to is the extreme, insane level of deference shown to the rich in this country. In places like France, if a CEO announces plans to fuck over his workers , those employees will not hesitate to scream in that fuckers face and confront him. Here this is a cultural taboo. Poor and middle class Americans are supposed to remain docile and passive while the behavior of the 1 percent becomes more and more vile.

A few years ago, a change was attempted with Occupy Wall Street. This movement was far from perfect and open to some legitimate criticisms (like any other movement ). But I will never forget the snide dismissive treatment of many media outlets. The vapid CNN cunt Erin Burnett spent an entire interview with a protester rolling her eyes and sneering and this was echoed by many other press outlets. Any criticism of the rich is "class warfare" or "the politics of envy ". So here we are.

by Anonymousreply 66December 11, 2019 10:40 PM

Plus R66 the 1% in this country control the police so any attempted uprising is crushed immediately.

by Anonymousreply 67December 11, 2019 10:46 PM

Some wise people on this thread

by Anonymousreply 68December 11, 2019 11:00 PM

People are in credit card debt because they're making 1996 wages at billion dollar companies.

by Anonymousreply 69December 11, 2019 11:07 PM

R67 Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 70December 11, 2019 11:15 PM

Making 1996 wages and paying 2019 rent.

by Anonymousreply 71December 11, 2019 11:16 PM

15 or so years ago, my Mom told me that this country one day will be just like a Central American country where a handful of ultra-wealthy people own all the money, land and resources and the rest of us will be the masses of dirt poor. As usual, she was right.

I'm so glad I didn't have children.

We're fucked. I'm not worried about Earth. George Carlin correctly commented that when Earth has had a bellyful of us, it'll shake us off like a bad case of the fleas. If we haven't done ourselves in first.

So be it.

by Anonymousreply 72December 11, 2019 11:20 PM

R45 Transporting oil by rail becomes, if not cheaper, at least doable when you can't build more pipeline capacity?

Is this what you're seeing? Bomb trains?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 11, 2019 11:55 PM

Holy shit. I opened this thread, and not 90 seconds went by before I heard a train whistle. That's not unusual here, but now that I think about it, I HAVE been hearing them more often lately, at different times of day than I usually do.

[quote]the Almiqui must have heard your question, because not two minutes ago a southbound train rambled through...with all of three hopper rail cars in tow.

Our overlords hear ALL. Soon, they will share their plan for us.

by Anonymousreply 74December 12, 2019 6:10 AM

As a Canadian looking in, it really seems like the current Republican govt is pushing really hard to start another world war.

by Anonymousreply 75December 12, 2019 10:48 AM

Wasn't there a conspiracy theory about all the wealthy people who just happened to be away from work on Sept 11 when the towers were destroyed? It seemed like a coincidence that so many CEOs and important wealthy people would suddenly decide to play hooky that day.

by Anonymousreply 76December 12, 2019 10:49 AM

No amount of money can save you from climate change- cash and real estate can’t stop Super malaria from a mosquito spawned from fetid hurricane waters engulfing our coasts.

We’re all done for.

by Anonymousreply 77December 12, 2019 10:56 AM

The movie "2012" foretold these times, wherein the ultra-wealthy hope to be among those chosen to leave a dead Earth for Mars.

See: Musk, Elon. Hawking, Stephen. Branson, Richard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 12, 2019 11:40 AM

[quote][R45] Transporting oil by rail becomes, if not cheaper, at least doable when you can't build more pipeline capacity?

[quote]Is this what you're seeing? Bomb trains?

Yes, R73, DOT-111, DOT-114, and related tank cars.

And I could buy your first comment EXCEPT for the fact of 1) Extreme length, and 2) Time of year. Americans use an ungodly amount of fossil fuels, but we use them ALL YEAR LONG. Why, then, do I not see that extreme number of rail cars per run all year the way I've been seeing the last two years--but only from early December through late February?

I know we're switching over from summer blend to winter blend gasoline, but why don't I see huge train runs in mid-spring to early summer as summer blend switches from winter blend?

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2019 2:09 PM

R79, trucks are being phased out. What you’re seeing is also shipments of older, fuel ran vehicles being transported in order to distribute them to Canada, and foreign, developing countries. Others will be used for scrap material/metals.

We’re going “on” a 5G. Older cars will be phased out, in lieu of all electronic, WiFi connected vehicles.

by Anonymousreply 80December 12, 2019 11:32 PM

The rich aren't too worried about climate change, they're far more concerned about automation and the economic collapse it will cause.

by Anonymousreply 81December 13, 2019 1:19 AM

"The movie "2012" foretold these times, wherein the ultra-wealthy hope to be among those chosen to leave a dead Earth for Mars. "

Why would wealthy people line up to leave a habitable planet for a planet devoid of life and the means to sustain it? It would make absolutely no sense. When the solution would be just to release a plague and kill off 90% of Earth's inhabitants.

by Anonymousreply 82December 13, 2019 1:52 AM

TPTB and wealthy people have been trying to get more wealth and power as long as there has been wealth and power. Nothing new here, except you have some government that seem especial desirous to help them do so.

by Anonymousreply 83December 13, 2019 2:46 AM

Dear oligarch overlords, would it be asking to much to bring back some basic cleanliness like clean floors and windows of your public-facing assets like hotels, gas stations, restaurants and the like?

by Anonymousreply 84December 13, 2019 3:33 AM

R77 You haven’t met some of the more loathsome rich. I have. Some are family, unfortunately. These people truly believe they can solve everything with money (in the name of self preservation, of course).

They have no conscience and see those who suffer the fate of THEIR mistakes as fate, God’s plan or evolution.

by Anonymousreply 85December 13, 2019 4:15 AM

Everyone know graft and corruption rule among the upper classes but as long as the wheels keep getting lubricated I don't see any massive disruptions forthcoming.

by Anonymousreply 86December 13, 2019 4:57 AM

Johnson’s and Johnson’s baby powder, anyone? Why do t you roll your newborn baby around in this toxic product and then pay us for the privilege. Now we’re off to shred these documents... nothing to see here. Everything is perfectly safe.

How about some OxyContin for that pain?

Or how about some recalled medicine that we know was poisonous.

Hope your airbags don’t blow up in your face. We’ll keep cramming these things into cars years after we know they were dangerous just to make an extra buck.

Oh, and sorry we crashed a few Boeing planes In a rush to make money over public safety.

by Anonymousreply 87December 13, 2019 5:03 AM

Damn, R87. When you string those “oopsies” together like that...

:shiver:

by Anonymousreply 88December 13, 2019 5:12 AM

Don't forget Teflon, r87. It's indestructible, and found in every single living thing on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 89December 13, 2019 6:16 AM

With all these mergers going on and all these companies consolidating and sucking up other companies, they should just become one company and call it Evil Inc.

by Anonymousreply 90December 13, 2019 6:34 AM

Poor Montgomery Ward. It didn’t stand a chance against the vulture hedge funders and we stood by and did nothing. And since then they’ve wiped out Sears, Kmart Toys R Us, and countless others.

As if to say, “you won’t need those where your going.”

by Anonymousreply 91December 13, 2019 6:39 AM

They are buying up all the residential real estate in the form of these investment groups with ominous names like Tricom and completely neglecting the properties while they rent them at the highest rate possible. You would think that they would want to maintain and take good care of their investments but they don’t care if they lose money in the long run from neglect and liabilities.

by Anonymousreply 92December 13, 2019 6:43 AM

The horror!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 93December 14, 2019 3:32 PM

[quote]Don't forget Teflon, [R87]. It's indestructible, and found in every single living thing on Earth.

Tell that to my poor scratched-up saucepans!

by Anonymousreply 94December 14, 2019 4:01 PM

Maybe they should stack up on cyanide pills, like the nazis did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 14, 2019 6:13 PM

Stil :::shiver:::

by Anonymousreply 96December 18, 2019 2:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!