Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

RICHARD JEWELL

What if he really was in on it though and was just really good at covering his tracks?

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2019 5:15 PM

No, he really wasn't. He was "slow." He was a kind hearted, decent young man who really loved and was serious about being "in law enforcement." as a security guard. He was a boy scout. We joke about helping little old ladies cross the street, but Jewell was really like that. He was not aggressive by any means, and he wasn't some cunning secret terrorist.

I actually met his mother quite by accident three years ago, and she has never gotten over what happened. I was shocked that he had died so young, but he was very ill. This was one of the most shameful episodes in Law enforcement and the media. It's a lesson we all need to learn. The Right will read something into this and see vindication for the "fake news" Trump always screams about, but this is much bigger than that and we all need to take heed. It could have been any one of us.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 12:45 PM

At the time it was pretty clear to me that they were just using him as a scapegoat. The fact that the real bomber turned out to be a right wing Christian homophobic maniac that went on to commit even more atrocities makes it that more egregious.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 12:45 PM

The same system of Southern justice that let George Zimmerman, Casey Anthony and Jerry Lee Lewis off.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 12:46 PM

[quote]and he wasn't some cunning secret terrorist

Or so you think...

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 1:18 PM

[quote]The Right will read something into this and see vindication for the "fake news" Trump always screams about

Which is why Eastwood made this movie. Because law enforcement was lazy and fucked up we should give everyone a pass.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 2:32 PM

He's my daddy

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 2:48 PM

I never thought he was honest.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 2:50 PM

It's funny how right-wingers will portray the FBI or law enforcement as plotting against them when most people who go into law enforcement are right wing, too

by Anonymousreply 8December 14, 2019 5:49 PM

It’s not just the FBI. In fact I trust the FBI a lot more than local law enforcement. How many people—especially minorities—have been railroaded by local police. Probably in the tens of thousands—maybe more.

by Anonymousreply 9December 14, 2019 6:06 PM

Are you kidding, r7? Are you purposefully ignorant? They found the right wing asshole who actually did it.

by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2019 6:07 PM

I remember the TV "journalists" barely containing there condescension. I remember thinking any money he was awarded should come directly from those plastic, vapid, media whores.

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2019 11:39 PM

He was a terrist before terrism was a thing.

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2019 11:43 PM

The movie is a resounding flop at the box office. Thank God.

(The article uses a picture of box-office leader Jumanji -- that's not Jewell in a pith helmet.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2019 11:51 PM

[quote]The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is fighting back against claims made in a new Clint Eastwood movie portraying the paper’s coverage of the 1996 Olympic bombing in Atlanta. The film’s portrayal of the event could cause “devastating harm to the reputations of the AJC and its hard-working journalists,” the paper said in a statement to film makers.

This, from the paper that compared Jewell to serial killer Wayne Williams.

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2019 11:57 PM

R14, they're better than Clint, the dumb freeper asshole who talks to chairs and lied about a female journalist for no reason

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2019 12:31 AM

How touching that the Atlanta Journal now cares about the truth. It would be helpful if they valued the unvarnished truth 20 years ago. What they did was far more damaging than anything this film implied about their precious journalist. Because their accusations actually destroyed a life. Nobody really cares if someone fucked someone else two decades ago. This seems like a purposeful attempt to distract from some very unpleasant questions that might arise about their behavior during this incident. The media doesn't always get it right and this is something that should be discussed. Look how many prominent journalists supported the "weapons of mass destruction " BS.

by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2019 1:23 AM

r16 It wasn't the newspaper's accusations, it was FBI and police accusations that the newspaper reported.

by Anonymousreply 17December 15, 2019 1:26 AM

R17 Yes I realize that the primary screw up was by them, which the film shows pretty clearly. Frankly Hamms character and his tunnel visioned colleagues come off just as bad if not worse than Scruggs. But I don't buy that the news organizations should be let off the hook, considering how out of control this story became.

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2019 1:32 AM

All the reviews are saying this is Clint's valentine to Trump, as it is anti-media.

by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2019 1:38 AM

R18 must be Clint or some other freeper shitstain. Trying to justify Clint's lies.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2019 1:46 AM

Richard Jewell was the victim of an irresponsible media. Current politics or not, he was wronged.

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2019 2:49 AM

"PVM" - plastic, vapid media whore. A DL term?

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2019 5:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!