Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trembling fingers and toes

And yes I saw a neurologist and do not have ALS, MS, or Parkinsons. The dr note even says: YOU DO NOT HAVE....And so.

Any other elderloungers have this? It’s not all the time and worse when I’m on my phone (too much) or work computer, scrunched up at my desk.

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2019 1:15 AM

Vitamin D3 and magnesium deficiency.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 10:37 AM

Too much coffee. Im serious, I get that way if I drink more than 2 cups in the morning without food. Didn't affect me when I was young.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 10:48 AM

Second vote for magnesium.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 11:08 AM

And crap. I am a Zantac user and just Googled and see that it depletes magnesium!

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 11:13 AM

Yup. Is called minor or essential tremor - if it goes away when you drink alcohol that’s what it is. I developed it in my early 30s, it’s where the doctors ended up after they eliminated everything else as a cause, and called the alcohol test the most diagnostic option they had at the time.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 12:23 PM

It could be anything from anxiety to mini strokes.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 12:41 PM

It's often associated with essential confines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 2:26 PM

^ cuntiness

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 2:28 PM

Meth withdrawl. Get your ass on bus to Palm Springs! Stat!

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 2:28 PM

In all seriousness that could be absolutely anything from very serious to benign.

You need to start at the most serious things, like stroke and rule them out. It may be something simple as sleeping on it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 3:56 PM

Low blood sugar? Essential tremour sounds quite possible too.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 4:02 PM

[Quote]And crap. I am a Zantac user and just Googled and see that it depletes magnesium!

You need to eat more bananas to replenish that, r4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 4:13 PM

This (I have it):

Yup. Is called minor or essential tremor - if it goes away when you drink alcohol that’s what it is. I developed it in my early 30s, it’s where the doctors ended up after they eliminated everything else as a cause, and called the alcohol test the most diagnostic option they had at the time.

Propranolol is a cheap, decent treatment.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 4:26 PM

What r13 said about propanalol. I developed it in my 50's. Thought I had Parkinsons. I was diagnosed with Benign Essential Tremors (apparently the benign part means they don't know what causes it). Katharine Hepburn had it. I've had it under control for about 10 years now.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2019 4:38 PM

I agree with magnesium and possibly zinc. Are you experiencing cramps in your hands, feet or jaw?

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2019 4:51 PM

Pretty common OP. Essential tremors may tend to worsen as you age. Harmless but frustrating. Can be exacerbated by anxiety. Klonopin helped.

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2019 4:52 PM

R9, is Palm Springs known for its meth?

I was not aware.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2019 5:04 PM

I have it too

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 5:39 PM

If you also have leg pains, it's peripheral artery disease - the early sign of heart failure.

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 6:49 PM

It is essential tremor and I have it myself along with myoclonus more often than not.

The best medication for ET is primidone in my opinion. Yes, propranolol is also effective, but if you are already taking a blood pressure and/or heart medication, your doctor will not want to add it along with your current medications. Another class of effective medications are within the benzodiazepines family, in particular chlordiazepoxide, clorazepate, clonazepam, or diazepam.

The reason why I advocate for primidone or those particular benzodiazepines aforementioned is because with these drugs, as you take them, they build up in your system to where if you happened to miss a dose and realize it or not, the metabolites from the original drug has extremely long half-lives (how long it takes to get one-half of the drug out of your system). Yes, these can make you VERY sleepy, sometimes filled with lassitude, and the potential of developing an addiction to the benzodiazepine, but because you have a legitimate reason to take it (because I'm sure you don't want to run out of pills and end up shaking like none other), I'd say the risk is low.

The reason I contend for primidone is because it is similar to the first barbiturate that was discovered: phenobarbital/phenobarbitone. Phenobarbital is used in people who usually have seizures. It's not used as much today because of all these stupid anticonvulsants that don't work and it also is because benzodiazepines phased out barbiturates in the 1960s, particularly chlordiazepoxide and diazepam. If you are more familiar with barbiturates than you are benzodiazepines, I would argue that you ask for primidone versus phenobarbital because, if you live in the United States and/or Canada, phenobarbital is akin to scheduled drugs like benzodiazepines and opioids, meaning that you are taking something that you could potentially abuse. With primidone, your liver metabolizes primidone into phenobarbitone and another metabolite called PEMA that's essentially equal to a barbiturate, but with a weaker action potentially. Also, primidone is not scheduled in either country (I'm not sure about the UK - if you're in the UK, it might be a POM drug), so your doctor can write without having to feel like they are giving you a scheduled drug against something else that you're taking that might make you sleepy. Lastly, primidone is cheaper than phenobarbital and can carefully be watched in your blood and urine tests, should you have to take one.

In my fight with essential tremor and myoclonus, I take both primidone and clonazepam (Klonopin). If I didn't take one without the other, I think that I would still shake and jump like none other. However, I have a high tolerance to both barbiturates and benzodiazepines that my doctor knows that the combination of the both of them may pose a risk, but the benefits they bring keeps me from having to run back and forth to him and the pharmacy to try much more dangerous drugs like anticonvulsants and/or antipsychotics. Don't let your doctor prescribe either class of medicines because they will make it worse - I know because I've ran the gamut of them and I shook MORE on those than I do now with both a precursor to a barbiturate and a benzodiazepine.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain more in depth than other people about what medications you should ask your doctor to put you on. By the way, there's no real "test" (like drawing blood, biopsy, etc.) to see if you have essential tremor other than the doctor probably asking you to write your name on a piece of paper or draw either a circle or a spiral to see how linear they will be. I hope my information here you can take and research yourself. More should be done to recognize ET as an issue with people, just like CFS/ME should be.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 7:35 PM

thanks elderloungers. was rx'd a beta blocker. also tried klonopin, and it helped. it happens very randomly!!

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2019 1:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!