Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

controversial question: Should Madonna have played the lead in Mama Mia instead of Meryl Streep

Hear me out- obviously, Meryl is the stronger actress, but a singer she is not. While Madonna is not as strong of a singer as say, Janet Jackson or Jennifer Lopez, she can carry a tune better than Meryl. Do you think Madonna would've been successful in Mama Mia and Mama Mia: Here We Go Again?

by Anonymousreply 34December 30, 2019 6:08 AM

Madonna did audition for the Amanda Seyfried role, but was told she looked far too young to play M's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 4:36 AM

Madonna isn’t a singer either, as she proved in Evita. Streep sounded far better in Mamma Mia than Madonna could ever have managed.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 4:46 AM

I think Madonna would sound good singing ABBA songs - or at least she would have maybe 10 years ago. But she can't act for shit, so it would have been a mess. There's no way she could have shown warmth as a mother onscreen and she would have been lit in a bizarre way as she was in The Next Best Thing. And she would have been threatened by the younger, prettier Seyfried.

Although it would have been hilarious to see Baranski clash with Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 4:49 AM

Madonna my daughter? Hell no! But she could play my mother

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 4:54 AM

[quote]While Madonna is not as strong of a singer as say, Janet Jackson or Jennifer Lopez

LMAO!

While not a good singer, she's still a step up from whispercoos and having an entirely different person sing your songs for you.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 5:21 AM

If Madonna was playing Streeps' role there wouldn't be three men who could be contenders for her daughters' father, there'd be 5000!

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 5:32 AM

How dare you?

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 5:40 AM

Madonna can’t project even basic humanity. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 5:43 AM

Madonna would do a splendid job. Better than M

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 5:55 AM

There's only room in this movie for one old plastic has been whore who can no longer sing,

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 5:57 AM

So the answer to your question, OP, is a resounding NO.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 8:31 AM

We don't want her ruining our songs

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 8:59 AM

Yes and she could have sung a Hung Up/Gimme Gimme Gimme mashup

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 9:50 AM

Madonna would have been fine. Not great. Not terrible. The movie is nothing better than a comedic piffle, and Madonna is at her best at things like that. Her best performances, Desperately Seeking Susan and A League of Their Own, are funny, female-centric ensemble movies. (Her massive ego kept her from taking more parts like them.) Mama Mia is exactly that.

Truth be told, Meryl isn't great in the movie. She's fine. Not great. Not terrible.

It's a silly movie to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2019 1:15 PM

I can't see Madonna in that role at all. Although she's a mother in real life I don't think she would be believable as a mother on screen, even though she would nail being a loose woman who fucked so many guys she didn't know which one was the daddy.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2019 1:22 PM

OP, you're insane---Madonna is at least two leagues ahead of Jennifer Lopez and Janet Jackson in singing ability. Unlike JLo she isn't tone deaf.

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2019 1:26 PM

I remember an interview of Streep’s from years ago where she said that she should’ve played the lead in Evita because she was a better singer! That’s the first time I think that Streep was indiscreet in an interview. She certainly would have acted it better and Banderas and Pryce would’ve been better, too.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2019 1:32 PM

Madonna could have played the Baranski role, she doesn't have the warmth or vulnerability to play Donna. Just look at her one emotional scene in "A League of their Own"

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 1:39 PM

Maybe if she’d let herself age even halfway naturally. What she’s done to her face makes her unsuitable for the role.

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 4:26 PM

Madonna singing tribute karaoke to ABBA, her inferiors?

FUCK NO

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 4:49 PM

Oh Gawd… Streep is an okay singer, better than Madonna, and she's a MUCH better actress.

Madonna can't act at all, and she has the opposite of screen presence. I don't know what gives one actor charisma and another the opposite, but Madonna has the opposite - she's a black hole in the middle of the screen. Her empty presence ruined "Evita", which had all the ingredients of a terrific film, except a star with star quality.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 9:21 PM

[quote]While not a good singer, she's still a step up from whispercoos

Whispercoos my ass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2019 2:03 PM

Madonna cannot play comedy.

She could not do something based on lightness and charm.

by Anonymousreply 23December 21, 2019 2:08 PM

Madonna is probably the only actress who would have been WORSE than Streep in that role.

by Anonymousreply 24December 21, 2019 2:28 PM

Madonna should have played the role of Meryl Streep's mother. She certainly looks old enough.

by Anonymousreply 25December 21, 2019 3:34 PM

Perhaps, Madonna could have played one of the wooden doors.

by Anonymousreply 26December 21, 2019 3:52 PM

I was asked to play Meryl's granddaughter, but I turned it down. I already paid tribute to Abba during my Confessions era, so to participate in their musical would be passe!

by Anonymousreply 27December 21, 2019 3:56 PM

I honestly think that movie was so bad, so amateurish, even Madonna couldn't have made it worse.

by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2019 4:26 PM

[quote] I already paid tribute to Abba during my Confessions era

You mean you ripped them off by sampling one of their songs and singing lyrics that you only wrote 2% of over the beat.

by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2019 7:49 PM

When will you sluts come to the realization that Madonna is one of the strongest actresses of our time!

by Anonymousreply 30December 30, 2019 4:54 AM

This is just stupid. Madonna is a much much much better singer than Janet and Jlo combined

by Anonymousreply 31December 30, 2019 4:58 AM

OP thinks Meryl can't sing? Are you nuts? She has a beautiful voice.

by Anonymousreply 32December 30, 2019 6:04 AM

[quote]Madonna is a much much much better singer than Janet

I’m sorry, but, no...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 30, 2019 6:07 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 30, 2019 6:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!