Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone remember Samantha Smith the child peace activist?

I remember from kindergarten through third grade (1987-1990), my teachers at different schools taught about the story of this girl who met with Soviet Union leaders and who tragically died with her father in a plane crash.

And now, she’s forgotten and no longer relevant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2019 2:29 PM

This is DL. No one, no matter how obscure, is no longer relevant.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 4:05 AM

She's the one the Golden Girls based an episode on isn't she??

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 4:09 AM

Wow, how many mysterious transportation related deaths are connected to Robert Wagner?

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 4:10 AM

I heard of the girl falling down the well but as for....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 4:14 AM

Ok, this is weird, but 3 hours ago I didn’t know who she was. But then I posted in the Debbie Gibson/Tiffany thread that they had a stalker in common, Robert Bardo, who went on to kill actress Rebecca Schaeffer. The thing is he was also stalking Samantha Smith and traveled to Maine to see her, but in a fluke was stopped by police and returned home. And then Susan died. OP, what made you bring her up here tonight?

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 4:18 AM

I remember her, but didn’t know about her death. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 4:23 AM

I remember reading about her back when I frequented Soviet Union forums, circa 2010.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 4:26 AM

[quote] And now, she’s forgotten and no longer relevant.

Thirty-five years after the event that made them famous, most people are forgotten and irrelevant (except on DL).

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 4:30 AM

As I recall, the plane crashed only hours after someone started a cute 80s nostalgia thread about her on DL. You truly are the kiss of death.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 4:30 AM

R5, I don’t know why, I guess I was thinking Trump and Russia and possible war.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 4:35 AM

I used to stalk Samantha Smith.

and then she died.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 4:44 AM

I was working part-time with an organization known as Children's Express during the time, and I recall telling those budding journalists to remember Samantha and to investigate her life and death when they grow up. I hope someone among them has accepted the challenge.

I cried with that same youth group the afternoon the Challenger exploded.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 4:47 AM

I remember. Thanks, OP.

“Dear Mr. Andropov,

My name is Samantha Smith. I am 10 years old. Congratulations on your new job. I have been worrying about Russia and the United States getting into a nuclear war. Are you going to vote to have a war or not? If you aren't please tell me how you are going to help to not have a war. This question you do not have to answer, but I would like it if you would. Why do you want to conquer the world or at least our country? God made the world for us to share and take care of. Not to fight over or have one group of people own it all. Please lets do what he wanted and have everybody be happy too.

Samantha Smith”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 4:56 AM

Was she as obnoxious as me?

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2019 5:09 AM

It would be so obnoxious if Greta Thunberg died in a crash and she was remembered longer than Samantha Smith.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2019 7:35 AM

I will not die in a plane crash that's for sure

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2019 7:50 AM

R16 yeah, she'll only die in a boat sinking or a balloon accident

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2019 8:15 AM

Didnt that young girl from Poltergeist die?

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 8:46 AM

R15 I think she has more potential of being done in by a stalker like what might of happened to Samantha except for some alert police officers. If the stalker had gotten to Samantha when he tried and was caught, Rebecca Schaffer might still be alive today resting on the laurels of her multiple Oscar wins. It’s not like fate had not already been sealed for Samantha and her acting career didn’t have as much potential, what was she going to learn from Robert Wagner, how to be wooden and humorless?

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 9:48 AM

Ok, R12, spill it! What’s your theory about Samantha’s death? What did you think your student journalists would uncover? Was she done in by the Illuminati? Reagan? Robert Wagner?

I was sad when she died. At the time, I didn’t think her death got the attention it deserved. (Yeah, I’m putting on my tin hat....but it was an odd situation, even to a high schooler obsessed with celebrity deaths!)

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 10:47 AM

R20 I grew up in a house where whenever I said tin foil I was corrected that it is aluminum foil and not to confuse my metals. It was a bad as calling margarine “butter” by accident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 10:55 AM

She had a TV show called [italic]Lime Street[/italic] that aired on ABC directly opposite GG. Robert Wagner played her father. When she died in that plane crash, they ended it right then and there. The producer of that show, Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, went on to create [italic]Designing Women[/italic].

She also got her own Disney Channel TV special back when they had high-quality shows for all members of the family, not just creepy tween junk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2019 12:30 PM

Didn't Rose Nylund take her place later on?

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2019 12:40 PM

Greta's future.

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2019 12:57 PM

Is she the one whose mom kept saying she wasn’t sad about the death because the girl was “following her bliss”? I thought that was odd.

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2019 12:59 PM

R25 That's what people who've lost someone say to keep themselves from jumping in front of a train. They convince themselves their loved one died happy so that they won't fly into a grief-fueled insanity.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2019 1:03 PM

That’s pretty morbid, R24, even for DL. Her future is as a trivia question, if that.

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2019 1:13 PM

Yes r25, and I thought that was fucking weird at the time too.

Until I realized her parents were "new age hippie" types who didn't believe in spiritual death or something. Yes, her body is burned to a crisp, but don't worry, her "true self" is flying free now, or some such drivel.

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2019 1:46 PM

I used to get her confused with Samantha Fox

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2019 2:03 PM

R25, I think that was the young girl who flew planes and people suspected she was flying a plane that crashed with her father. I don't think they ever proved who was flying at the time of the accident but it was two different girls and several years apart.

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2019 2:11 PM

[quote] It would be so obnoxious if Greta Thunberg died in a crash and she was remembered longer than Samantha Smith.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2019 2:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!