Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre Gossip #373: "WILL IT BE A BEST SIDE STORY? OR A LEAST SIDE STORY?"

As always, we have more questions than answers, but that won't stop us from opinionating endlessly!

Carry on, my little bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600December 26, 2019 10:39 PM

Enjoy that photo of my choreography, because you probably won't be seeing any of it left onstage.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 3:24 AM

Link to dead thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 3:29 AM

The boys look like they are preparing for perineum sunning.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 3:29 AM

Mary!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 3:37 AM

Like that other poster, I've already seen both parts of THE INHERITANCE but knowing Tony Goldwyn is going to be in it almost makes me want to go back and see it again. Though of course, instead of Wilcox, I wish he was playing the character who gets naked. I'd buy front row for that!

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 3:38 AM

[quote]There are Black Jets??? I thought racism was at the core of this show.

Silly you, thinking that Jerome Robbins and Arthur Laurents and Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim knew what they were doing!

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 3:56 AM

DL's own Donna McKechnie performed tonight at a Broadway Close Up event. She looked sensational, sounded good, was charming overall: sang "Send In The Clowns" (did she ever play Desiree?) and dueted on "What I Did For Love." Donna is (reportedly) 77 and held the stage with some much younger talent.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 4:07 AM

Yes, she played Desiree in the regions.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 4:15 AM

Donna looks almost as eerily youthful as Bernadette does (though Bernie is only 71).

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 4:43 AM

That Mary McCarty clip is weird. I assume that was a "bit" she did, stopping "Who Cares?" and saying, "Oh, who cares about this number, let's go on to the next one" - but there was zero response from the audience, which means they were confused about it too, so it just kind of sat there and died. And she's performing in an "everything but the kitchen sink" kind of style that never looks good on TV or in movies. Easy to see why she never moved on up into real stardom.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 8:46 AM

Donna doesn't look eerily youthful. She looks fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 12:43 PM

3 Girls 3.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 1:02 PM

I'm very much looking forward to WSS. Even if it's a stinker, it will be enjoyable to see someone's fresh take on it. Those who are already condemning it needn't buy a ticket, and that way will be spared the misery they predict will be inevitable

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 1:39 PM

Karen Olivo is back to her old tricks...

Went to see MOULON ROUGE last (Tuesdy) night. Was disappointed that there were an understudy and a replacement on for two major roles. Olivo was out and her understudy (Ashley Loren) was in. What really bothered me was that Olivo appeared that very afternoon with the Moulon Rouge cast at the RED BUCKET FOLLIES. She could make one performance, but not the other.

Austin Durant has replaced Danny Burstyn for 6 weeks as Harold Zidler, the emcee. Apparently Burstyn is having knee surgery for a torn meniscus. I can forgive him since he rarely misses performances, and this is for surgery.

Thank god for Aaron Tveit and the rest of the cast. He was fantastic, and certainly worthy of a Tony Nomination.

What really pisses me off is paying over $200 a ticket to see understudy/replacements. I know that in the past, many Broadway/Off-Broadway understudies have been terrific and have gone on to solid careers. But lately, the understudies I'm seeing are mediocre, or in the case of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, embarrassingly bad. With all the talent in NYC, can't producers and directors do better?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2019 2:14 PM

Be nice to Austin Durant. It can't have been easy for him, ripping his mother in half when she tried to birth that Olmec head.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote]Karen Olivo is back to her old tricks...

I have heard that she is missing a lot of performances, though of course I don't know the exact percentage. I agree that it's weird for her to appear in the Red Bucket Follies (I hate that name) but not in the show that night. And yes, I realize a brief personal appearance in a benefit is not equivalent to a performance of that taxing role in MOULIN ROUGE, but still, if she was going to be out last night, she probably should have skipped the Red Bucket Follies so it wouldn't have looked so bad.

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2019 3:56 PM

The attendance queens are so fucking exhausting. Absolutely no one cares about this subject except for you. Shut up. Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2019 3:58 PM

Stop Hall Monitor-ing, cunt located at R17.

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 4:18 PM

That's right, NO ONE CARES that the very well reviewed leading lady of a new musical that's a huge hit (even if its crap) began missing multiple shows as soon as the critics performances were out of the way. If I may employ a euphemism: Go block yourself.

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 4:18 PM

Missing performances has become the new standard for Broadway. Marian Seldes is twirling in her grave.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 4:21 PM

Speaking of Seldes, any update on that documentary that was made about her actually seeing the light of day? I know there was some controversy about it exploiting her descent into dementia, but not having seen it, I can't say. (I know, a Datalounge first.)

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 4:23 PM

Marian would be apalled.

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2019 4:28 PM

I'm seeing that it doesn't get a release date, r21.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2019 4:28 PM

Orchestra Center seats for Plaza Suite with the Brodericks in Boston are as high as $448.

For a two character straight play in previews out of town?

When Moulin Rouge previewed in Boston last year, an Orchestra Center 2nd row seat was just $120.

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2019 4:54 PM

Danny Burstein has been out of shows several times before this when I've gone, so while he has a legit excuse this time, it's not like he hasn't missed shows before in other productions.

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2019 4:55 PM

PLAZA SUITE has other characters in it; they don't have that much dialogue compared to the 2 leads, but they do have roles.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2019 4:56 PM

R25, He will finally win a Tony next June.

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2019 4:56 PM

I didn't find Moulin Rouge to be that great, really. Before the show starts, there are guys in leather and whores milling about the stage, but what follows is fairly chaste. I dunno. The movie was better.

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2019 5:00 PM

Ticket prices for Plaza Suite are absolutely insane, but they seem to be getting away with it. Theatre should be more affordable. It's been getting worse since the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2019 7:04 PM

It's been getting worse since they introduced the TKTS booth in the 1970's. The producers quickly doubled the price of a ticket so that they could mark them down 50% at the line. The very biggest hits of the season began taking in twice as much money as they had before. Everyone else had to scrape by as best they could without an advance sale that was lost when everyone started buying 'same day' on the TKTS line. TKTS was the single worst thing that ever happened to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2019 7:16 PM

Didn't it really get bad with The Book of Mormon, when producers were asking outrageous prices for tickets?

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2019 7:31 PM

I blame it on The Producers.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2019 7:36 PM

Well, if you wanna go way back, I think it was Miss Saigon who started the first echoes of Premium seating, charging $100 per ticket for certain seats in the front mezz to view the helicopter landing from the best vantage point. I think at that point, musicals were at a top $65.

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2019 7:38 PM

Jagged Little Pill did have elements of Dear Evan Hansen, but I was more reminded of Next to Normal, what with the opioid addicted mom and all.

by Anonymousreply 34December 11, 2019 7:42 PM

Shut the fuck up you whiny queens. No one cares about attendance. And Olivo will be laughing her ass off at your fat be-muumuued cunts when she collects her second Tony. Stupid faggots.

by Anonymousreply 35December 11, 2019 7:43 PM

[quote]For a two character straight play

Technically, "Plaza Suite" has five characters. There are also a bellboy, who doubles as the groom in the last play, another male character, and the daughter.

by Anonymousreply 36December 11, 2019 7:44 PM

I see someone has started drinking early in the day. F&F r35. It's the old, alcoholic mess who comes on the theatre threads every now and then to spread its bile and insist on inaccurate "facts." It is also ancient.

by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2019 7:46 PM

R35 is probably someone VERY CLOSE to Karen Olivo, who seemed miserable all through WEST SIDE STORY, quit the business right after it (even though she won a Tony Award she arguably did not deserve), then had to be talked back into the business by Lin-Manuel Miranda (he should have left well enough alone), and now has been missing multiple performances of MOULIN ROUGE. P.S. R35: Up yours for using the "f" word.

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2019 7:50 PM

Olivo didn't quit the business after WSS, it was after doing some later show with Will Swenson. She fell in love with him and he turned her down, and it sent her into her "I'm quitting this horrible business" spiral.

by Anonymousreply 39December 11, 2019 7:52 PM

Maybe Olivo has some sort of problem.

by Anonymousreply 40December 11, 2019 7:53 PM

FInd out when the Tony noms will be announced. Olivo will likely get nominated. She won't miss a single performance until all the ballots are in.

by Anonymousreply 41December 11, 2019 7:57 PM

Is she still running her trinket business? Was it potter or something?

by Anonymousreply 42December 11, 2019 8:05 PM

*pottery

by Anonymousreply 43December 11, 2019 8:05 PM

These two are looking great for 68.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 11, 2019 8:21 PM

R39, Was he with Audra at the time?

by Anonymousreply 45December 11, 2019 8:40 PM

That's Kristin Chenoweth at R44? She looks like an airbrushed Kellyanne Conway.

by Anonymousreply 46December 11, 2019 9:50 PM

It's literal violence: GLAAD issues a statement on "Tootsie" and "Mrs. Doubtfire."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 11, 2019 10:12 PM

Well, that was a whole lot about nothing, R47.

Leave it to GLAAD to issue a public statement that utterly content-free and self-congratulatory at the same time.

Some LGBTQ people had real issues with the blatant sexism and heteronormativity of a misguided project like TOOTSIE. Others did not. But GLAAD's POV seems to be that as long as no trans-identified characters were actually assaulted onstage, it's all good.

GLAAD is another way to spell USELESS.

by Anonymousreply 48December 11, 2019 11:17 PM

[quote]Some LGBTQ people had real issues with the blatant sexism and heteronormativity of a misguided project like TOOTSIE.

Excuse me, but whether or not the show is blatantly sexist and heteronormative is highly arguable. The show's creators were obviously well aware of current sensitivities toward such things and took great pains to avoid those problems, but obviously, people like you were determined to see them anyway.

TOOTSIE has many flaws, but in my opinion, not the ones you cite.

by Anonymousreply 49December 12, 2019 3:49 AM

Disruptive audience member removed from "To Kill A Mockingbird":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2019 4:05 AM

The most captivating visual in Harry Potter is James Snyder's ass

by Anonymousreply 51December 12, 2019 4:06 AM

Alex Brightman signed to play Belushi in biopic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 12, 2019 4:06 AM

R48 you just LIVE to be offended and to scold

by Anonymousreply 53December 12, 2019 4:12 AM

"Plaza Suite" has five characters, but no character.

by Anonymousreply 54December 12, 2019 4:15 AM

Neil Simon stopped writing characters around 1965

by Anonymousreply 55December 12, 2019 4:25 AM

R24, Will Elaine Joyce be in Boston during previews, driving everyone crazy?

by Anonymousreply 56December 12, 2019 4:32 AM

Well, Alex Brightman didn’t waste any time getting a new gig. With him leaving, the move me to to “save Beetlejuice” will go right down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 57December 12, 2019 4:54 AM

That Page Six piece about the disruptive women doesn't say what she was doing to disrupt the show.

It's an interesting idea that raises questions, such as How do they stop the show to deal with the problem? Do they have to talk her out of staying? What if she refuses to leave? Can they grab her? Are the cops involved?

Why are news articles nowadays so cryptic? Does anyone know what happened?

by Anonymousreply 58December 12, 2019 4:58 AM

R58, they probably don't do into detail because it is not what the producers want to be made public.

1. The theater staff cannot touch the person or his/her possessions, e.g., take a cell phone.

2.They will stop the show and attempt to deal with the issue verbally. They may wait until intermission if there is one.

3. in extreme cases, they may call the police.

4. They will not go into union overtime. If the the person is only slightly annoying, such as singing along, they may allow him/her to stay. If the person is deemed a danger, the police may be called; however, the show will be cancelled before the show is allowed to go into union overtime.

by Anonymousreply 59December 12, 2019 11:31 AM

New In the Heights Trailer

by Anonymousreply 60December 12, 2019 2:45 PM

sorry link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 12, 2019 2:46 PM

R59 that seems like common sense responses, but I'm sure nothing is written in stone, including not going into Union over time despite a disruptive patron

by Anonymousreply 62December 12, 2019 2:55 PM

[Quote] How do they stop the show to deal with the problem?

Dig up The Merm.

by Anonymousreply 63December 12, 2019 2:58 PM

It’s been years since I’ve seen In The Heights, but was the stage show as political as that trailer suggests? I remember it being very fluffy and silly.

by Anonymousreply 64December 12, 2019 3:33 PM

I never miss a Jimmy Smits musical.

by Anonymousreply 65December 12, 2019 3:40 PM

R64 No. I noticed that too. You know how today's climate is.

by Anonymousreply 66December 12, 2019 7:30 PM

I hope the all-Latinx cast addressees the fact that there are no roles for Latinx actors

by Anonymousreply 67December 12, 2019 8:21 PM

The In the Heights trailer looks intriguing, but the font they used looks cheap as fuck. I had never heard the soundtrack. I hadn't realized the the music is cut from the same cloth as Hamilton. I was under the impression that it was a more standard pop score.

by Anonymousreply 68December 12, 2019 10:24 PM

In The Heights trailer...how many 200 dancer musical scenes do you need in one movie?

by Anonymousreply 69December 12, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote]The In the Heights trailer looks intriguing, but the font they used looks cheap as fuck. I had never heard the soundtrack. I hadn't realized the the music is cut from the same cloth as Hamilton. I was under the impression that it was a more standard pop score.

IN THE HEIGHTS has far less rap and hip-hop in it. Almost all of it is sung, the major exceptions being some of the opening and closing numbers, in which Lin-Manuel was the main soloist in the stage version.

Agreed about the font. Looks cheap and also all wrong for the story.

by Anonymousreply 70December 13, 2019 1:01 AM

The "In The Heights" font is definitely Disney "Beauty & The Beast" style. And wrong for this show.

by Anonymousreply 71December 13, 2019 1:21 AM

[quote]4. They will not go into union overtime. If the the person is only slightly annoying, such as singing along, they may allow him/her to stay. If the person is deemed a danger, the police may be called; however, the show will be cancelled before the show is allowed to go into union overtime.

[quote][R59] that seems like common sense responses, but I'm sure nothing is written in stone, including not going into Union over time despite a disruptive patron

Cancelling a show over a disruptive patron isn't really a thing. I have never heard of it happening. The producers would rather pay the overtime for such a rare occurrence rather than cancel a show. The recent revival of My Fair Lady went into overtime 3 out of 8 performances until Sher came in to trim a few minutes from the show. Sometimes it was 8 out of 8, and that happened for around 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 72December 13, 2019 2:44 AM

Rumor is the London Michael Mayer Funny Girl is coming to Broadway with an American star...

by Anonymousreply 73December 13, 2019 2:52 AM

Not Lea Michele!

by Anonymousreply 74December 13, 2019 2:54 AM

Get ready for me, world, cause I'm a-comin...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 13, 2019 2:54 AM

Proof that Riedel is totally in Rudin's pocket is that he ignores the story everyone is talking about -- the crazy ass debacle that is WSS in previews -- and writes a puff piece about sir Andrew Lloyd drunkhead and his stupid CATS movie. You have to hand it to Rudin -- he owns Riedel and he owns The Times with all those ads, so no one will take him on. They've done an article on every bully in Hollywood, and yet....

by Anonymousreply 76December 13, 2019 2:58 AM

Bring back Alex Witchel!

by Anonymousreply 77December 13, 2019 2:59 AM

It has to be Lea.

by Anonymousreply 78December 13, 2019 3:01 AM

I mean, who else could come close?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 13, 2019 3:03 AM

You read it here first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 13, 2019 3:04 AM

It's Christina Bianco.

by Anonymousreply 81December 13, 2019 3:04 AM

What about me? I've actually sold a few albums, unlike...

by Anonymousreply 82December 13, 2019 3:05 AM

[quote]Get ready for me, world, cause I'm a-comin...

Not to nitpick, but the lyric is " 'cause I'm a comer." (To rhyme with "drummer" in the next line.)

by Anonymousreply 83December 13, 2019 3:11 AM

But glamor doesn't rhyme with drama?

by Anonymousreply 84December 13, 2019 3:14 AM

Give Fanny to Molly Pope!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 13, 2019 3:15 AM

They don't have to cast Funny Girl with a Streisand wannabe. I saw a bootleg of the London Funny Girl, and Smith doesn't try to emulate Streisand at all, which is preferable, I think, because it keeps your mind in the present, instead of keep thinking about Babs. The show was a lot better than I thought it would be.

by Anonymousreply 86December 13, 2019 3:19 AM

This is the new "woke" Broadway, or haven't you heard. Fanny doesn't have to be played by a traditional performer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 13, 2019 3:20 AM

...or a woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 13, 2019 3:24 AM

Sure thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 13, 2019 3:24 AM

It's a Jewish role, so that means an African American woman will play it. It's only fair. Be better.

by Anonymousreply 90December 13, 2019 3:30 AM

Be best!

by Anonymousreply 91December 13, 2019 3:32 AM

Does Sammy Davis Jr. have a granddaughter?

by Anonymousreply 92December 13, 2019 3:32 AM

Here she is, world! Fuck you Lea, Broadway is "woke."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 13, 2019 3:38 AM

That London revival of Funny Girl proved that the only thing worth seeing that show for was Barbra Streisand. It's not bringing much else to the plate. It always amazes me how un-funny Fanny is for a show called Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 94December 13, 2019 3:54 AM

Did any of you see Barbara Cook's Fanny?

by Anonymousreply 95December 13, 2019 3:57 AM

Or Carol Lawrence's?

Oy vey!

by Anonymousreply 96December 13, 2019 4:03 AM

Didn't the post Streisand run of Funny Girl last just as long without her? Clearly there's a real musical there. Or at least there was in the mid 60s.

by Anonymousreply 97December 13, 2019 4:22 AM

[quote] I had never heard the soundtrack.

Since the movie has not been released, there is no soundtrack yet.

by Anonymousreply 98December 13, 2019 4:28 AM

Barbara Cook's fanny was HUGE

by Anonymousreply 99December 13, 2019 4:32 AM

Did Florence Henderson ever do the 2nd Fanny? She already played the title role in "Fanny" before the Brice one, and hell, I can see her more than Carol Lawrence. At least her Carol Brady cracked a joke every so often.

by Anonymousreply 100December 13, 2019 6:27 AM

I love you r93

by Anonymousreply 101December 13, 2019 7:22 AM

R96, It was hairy.

by Anonymousreply 102December 13, 2019 10:47 AM

** Possible Spoilers **

I went by myself last night to see THE INHERITANCE, PART I for the second time. I actually enjoyed the play much more this time. Perhaps because I knew the characters and the plot, I was able to better concentrate. It’s no ANGELS IN AMERICA, but I thought it was better written than my first impression and certainly deserving of positive praise. And the production - including lighting, sets, music, ensemble, and direction – is impeccable. I especially enjoyed actor Paul Hilton who plays both E.M Forster and Walter Poole. His big monologue was superb.

I still think that the play is too long and could benefit from a good editor. I also feel that some of the sex scenes and the one nude scene are gratuitous and could be changed to be just as effective but without the feeling that they were just dropped in for shock value or some sort of proof that gay sex is hotter than straight sex. The Prague bathhouse scene, for instance, was just too much, and would have been just as effective with less detail. As happened during the first time I saw the play, several people walked out during the show, and my feeling was that it was not the topic of the play, but the graphic details of the sex scenes that turned them off.

John Benjamin Hickey was still in the play. I know that others have seen Tony Goldwyn do the Henry Wilcox part, so I’m not sure how/when Hickey will be out for good to direct Plaza Suite.

I’m anticipating Tony nominations for both Samuel H. Levine (Adam/Leo) and Kyle Soller (Eric Glass) as Best Actor in a Play and for Paul Hilton for Best Supporting Actor. The theater was about 2/3 full, so guessing it won’t be a long run. Overall, I feel much, much better recommending this piece to friends. It’s definitely sponge-worthy.

And finally, I must share that actress Elaine Joyce (Mrs. Neil Simon) was across the aisle from me with a handsome young man, perhaps her son? I know this because she announced who she was to anyone who would listen. Not sure what perk she was expecting, but the last time I saw such blatant self-promotion was when I saw Adolph Green pull rank in an attempt to get tickets to a sold-out Sondheim show. Both efforts failed.

IMHO

by Anonymousreply 103December 13, 2019 1:09 PM

Funny Girl needs....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104December 13, 2019 1:11 PM

Tony Goldwyn has not played any performances in "The Inheritance" yet. Your friends are delusional.

by Anonymousreply 105December 13, 2019 2:22 PM

I don't think r103 was referring to friends, r105. I take it as they were under the misapprehension that "others" (perhaps on this board) had seen Goldwyn.

by Anonymousreply 106December 13, 2019 2:38 PM

There is no set. R105 is clearly high.

by Anonymousreply 107December 13, 2019 3:51 PM

Please note that "The Look of Funny Girl" at R104 was narrated by DL fave Arlene Francis.

by Anonymousreply 108December 13, 2019 4:29 PM

Will Tony Goldwyn show dick again?

by Anonymousreply 109December 13, 2019 4:37 PM

No, r108, BarbAra.....did not.

by Anonymousreply 110December 13, 2019 4:52 PM

Was musical comedy considered par of the legitimate theatre?

by Anonymousreply 111December 13, 2019 5:14 PM

*part

by Anonymousreply 112December 13, 2019 5:14 PM

[quote]No, R108, BarbAra.....did not.

I'm truly mortified. I've never made that mistake before.

Yes, R111, both musicals and straight plays comprise the legitimate theater.

by Anonymousreply 113December 13, 2019 5:54 PM

When Barbra left Funny Girl on Broadway, Mimi Hines took over and ran it for another year and a half. The reason that people kept coming was because Mimi Hines was FUNNY.

Back then, people went to see Barbra because there weren't that many wonderful belt singers. Today, every other pop singer is a belt singer. So whoever they cast in a professional production of Funny Girl better be funny because just belting the songs doesn't do it anymore.

I also saw a bootleg of the British Funny Girl with Sheridan Smith. Unfortunately, the bootleg was shot on tour after Sheridan came back from an antagonizing fight with the producers about her missing too may shows. Sheridan had eaten too many Jaffa cakes and you can hear her heavy breathing, struggling to get through the show. She looked less like a young performer and more like Angela Merkel trying to make it through a variety show fundraiser.

I'm still on the fence about whether the show should be styled with the Lower East Side Noo Yawk Jewish feel or whether it is possible to strip it of that and just make it about a young performer's rise to stardom. As Mrs. Maisel is showing with Joel's mother, that Noo Yawk Jewish mother act can be funny in limited doses. And just as a sidetrack, I've often wondered is that same effect could be used in Hello Dolly? None of the Broadway productions have ever tried to make Dolly as a Jewish yenta, even though that's what's inferred.

by Anonymousreply 114December 13, 2019 6:15 PM

[quote]Sheridan had eaten too many Jaffa cakes

I think I love you, r114.

by Anonymousreply 115December 13, 2019 6:17 PM

R114 If you INFER that, you are incorrect. That Dolly's maiden name is Gallagher IMPLIES she is at least part-Irish. Nothing in either the Wilder or the musical adaptation suggests Dolly is Jewish, though it is implied that her husband Ephraim was probably Jewish, given his first and last name.

by Anonymousreply 116December 13, 2019 6:28 PM

[quote] If you INFER that, you are incorrect. That Dolly's maiden name is Gallagher IMPLIES she is at least part-Irish. Nothing in either the Wilder or the musical adaptation suggests Dolly is Jewish, though it is implied that her husband Ephraim was probably Jewish, given his first and last name.

There is no history in the Irish culture of a woman who arranges marriages. It was so common in the Jewish tradition, that it was given a name, yenta.

Ephraim Levi, being a Jew, would not have married a Gentile woman.

Dolly was intended to be a Jewish woman, but they switched it to Irish to ward off wrath from the Jewish community.

by Anonymousreply 117December 13, 2019 6:59 PM

You can even hear our Sheridan gasping for breath in the advertisements. It was exhausting shifting all that weight around every night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118December 13, 2019 7:05 PM

So Tovah made a poor choice at Paper Mill?!

by Anonymousreply 119December 13, 2019 7:06 PM

Smith sang on the British "Dancing With the Stars" around that time (after the tour/broadcast). There was quite a difference in how she looked/sounded at the Menier. Either way, she or anyone like her should never play Fanny Brice in New York, the true spiritual home of the Jews.

by Anonymousreply 120December 13, 2019 7:08 PM

My understanding is that during the Menier run, Sheridan's father was very ill (and I think died), so she missed a lot of performances. As a result, the producers forced her into doing the tour (or adding more tour stops than she was scheduled for) as a means to recoup some of their losses. The filmed version advertised above is from the tour.

by Anonymousreply 121December 13, 2019 7:14 PM

No, R119. Paper Mill made a poor choice with Tovah.

by Anonymousreply 122December 13, 2019 7:44 PM

[quote]Dolly was intended to be a Jewish woman, but they switched it to Irish to ward off wrath from the Jewish community.

I believe I have read that Thornton Wilder originally intended her to be Jewish but changed it not due to anticipated wrath from the Jewish community (why would that have angered them?) but because he was advised that the general theatergoing public of the time would not accept a Jewish character as the central role in a play.

by Anonymousreply 123December 13, 2019 7:49 PM

[quote]why would that have angered them?

Because Dolly is a conniver and the Jews were trying to steer away from that stereotype. It's why a lot of Jews have problems with "The Merchant of Venice."

by Anonymousreply 124December 13, 2019 7:51 PM

Oh, R123...

Abie's Irish Rose: 1922

Awake and Sing!: 1935

Golden Boy: 1937

The Merchant of Yonkers: 1938

by Anonymousreply 125December 13, 2019 7:55 PM

To be fair, r125, the Jewishness in Golden Boy is really played down. So much so that the play has been presented many times with a black family and nothing is changed.

by Anonymousreply 126December 13, 2019 8:01 PM

More than just down played. Odets made the family Italian in Golden Boy. But look at the cast when The Group Theater presented it.

by Anonymousreply 127December 13, 2019 8:08 PM

[quote]More than just down played. Odets made the family Italian in Golden Boy. But look at the cast when The Group Theater presented it.

But there's still a strong Jewish element in it. For example, the old man neighbor sitting there quoting Schopenhour. That wouldn't have gone on in an Italian family.

by Anonymousreply 128December 13, 2019 8:12 PM

What about in a family of strippers?

by Anonymousreply 129December 13, 2019 8:21 PM

The "Gallagher" was inserted into The Merchant of Yonkers because the *producers* were scared of having a Jewish leading role in *1938*. Remember, at that time, a lot of people felt the Jewish community was trying to push the US into the war. The seeds of the America First Committee had already been sown. There were large groups of Nazi sympathizers in Queens, Long Island, and up the Hudson. The choice was very specific to the pressures of that pre-war period. This was told to me by Thornton Wilder.

by Anonymousreply 130December 13, 2019 8:29 PM

If plays and musicals are considered the " legitimate theater," what is the " Illegitimate theater"?

by Anonymousreply 131December 13, 2019 8:36 PM

Burlesque! Vaudeville!

by Anonymousreply 132December 13, 2019 8:37 PM

Smith was wrong in everyway for Fanny, her weight gain was the least of the shit bits

by Anonymousreply 133December 13, 2019 8:37 PM

She wasn't wrong in the sense that she could sing the score and she's a star. But otherwise, she wasn't right. She should come to Broadway in "Me & My Girl."

by Anonymousreply 134December 13, 2019 8:38 PM

"the music is cut from the same cloth"

Yeah, cheesecloth.

by Anonymousreply 135December 13, 2019 8:40 PM

R134 A star? She looked like a bored housewife who had no right to be on the stage. She was a vacuum of nothing

by Anonymousreply 136December 13, 2019 8:41 PM

Sheridan Smith is a star. I'm sure there's plenty of star you or I fail to appreciate. But that doesn't change that they are stars.

by Anonymousreply 137December 13, 2019 8:43 PM

*plenty of stars

by Anonymousreply 138December 13, 2019 8:43 PM

It's almost 2020. Fanny Brice needs to be a woman of color, preferably a curvy, "plus-size" kinda gal. That would help underline her status as an outsider for contemporary audiences.

by Anonymousreply 139December 13, 2019 8:43 PM

I have seen Funny Girl done in Europe several times, and there is never an attempt to recreate Fanny Brice. I really think the historical baggage in the USA kind of kills the piece. That said, nothing saves the second act.

by Anonymousreply 140December 13, 2019 8:45 PM

There wasn't an attempt to recreate Fanny Brice on Broadway either.

by Anonymousreply 141December 13, 2019 8:47 PM

Harvey Fierstein as "Funny Boy" Farley Brice lip-synching the songs with the guy who's voicing Shy on "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" singing them live.

by Anonymousreply 142December 13, 2019 10:52 PM

Saw the Sheridan Smith taped show in Allentown, Pennsylvania. The biggest thrill was passing Dorney Park where John Waters filmed "Hairspray" as Tilted Acres.

by Anonymousreply 143December 13, 2019 11:34 PM

Did smarmy Darius Danesh play Nicky Arnstein in the cinema broadcast?

by Anonymousreply 144December 13, 2019 11:47 PM

Have no idea, you tell me. Here's the trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145December 13, 2019 11:55 PM

Yes, that's him. He's come a long way...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 13, 2019 11:58 PM

Didn’t Darius Danesh play Rhett in that amazingly awful (and long) Trevor Nunn version of Gone With The Wind?

by Anonymousreply 147December 14, 2019 12:29 AM

[quote]Because Dolly is a conniver and the Jews were trying to steer away from that stereotype. It's why a lot of Jews have problems with "The Merchant of Venice."

Dolly is meant to be a very likeable character overall, so your theory is nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 148December 14, 2019 12:36 AM

[quote]Burlesque! Vaudeville!

Somethin' wrong with strippin'?

by Anonymousreply 149December 14, 2019 2:38 AM

R29 - “ Ticket prices for Plaza Suite are absolutely insane, but they seem to be getting away with it. Theatre should be more affordable. It's been getting worse since the 90's.”

Truth!

I saw Dreamgirls in 1980 at the Imperial theatre, with Jennifer Holliday, SRO, for10 bucks. 10. I linked an inflation calculator.

The purchasing power of 10 bucks in1980 equals $30.47 in 2018 - adjusted for inflation.

What in the ever loving fuck is going on out there!?

Disgraceful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 14, 2019 3:32 AM

[quote] What in the ever loving fuck is going on out there!?

Broadway producers are saying, "If Madonna can charge $500 per performance for a ticket, so can we!"

by Anonymousreply 151December 14, 2019 3:39 AM

Yes, R147. What a strange misfire that was, for all involved.

by Anonymousreply 152December 14, 2019 5:30 AM

Levi is not strictly a Jewish surname, nor is Ephraim. They both have Hebrew origins, but because Ephraim is considered a "biblical" name for men, it was given by many different faiths and nationalities. Ephraim was especially popular as a male name in the 1800s.

Levi is a popular name in the Mormon faith (Utah) as well as Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 153December 14, 2019 8:29 AM

Can't believe how fat Sheridan Smith is in that trailer for Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 154December 14, 2019 8:32 AM

Whoever that woman is in Funny Girl is awful. Lower than community theatre.

by Anonymousreply 155December 14, 2019 12:25 PM

No, Sheridan Smith is not lower than a community theatre performer. You just watched a terribly produced bit of video advertising and you are unable to identify the actual problem. You cannot judge Sheridan Smith's talent and skill from a series of three-second clips. She's a talented and experienced actress who has more than proven her mettle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156December 14, 2019 12:45 PM

R114, Bette Midler played Dolly as a Jewish yenta.

by Anonymousreply 157December 14, 2019 12:49 PM

Sheridan Smith can’t act, sing, or dance. When the Brits don’t get Broadway musicals, they REALLY don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 158December 14, 2019 12:51 PM

Harvey F. showed up on MSNBC last evening (Ari Melber's show), appearing with ubercunt Peggy Noonan, and my God, did he look enormous.

by Anonymousreply 159December 14, 2019 1:00 PM

You may not care for her, R158, but she's certainly doing quite well professionally without your worthless approval. She can certainly act and sing.

by Anonymousreply 160December 14, 2019 1:12 PM

[quote]Bette Midler played Dolly as a Jewish yenta.

So did Barbra Streisand, when she wasn't playing her as Mae West or Scarlett O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 161December 14, 2019 4:16 PM

R156 You are obsessed and wrong, Smith stunk in Funny Girl, in everyway. She can blame her dying Dad or being a fat drunk pig, but that doesn't change the fact she was fucking awful in everyway as Fanny

by Anonymousreply 162December 14, 2019 6:03 PM

Didn't she win an Olivier?

by Anonymousreply 163December 14, 2019 6:21 PM

That Sheridan Funny Girl was one of the most boring things I've ever seen, but I'm not sure if having a more interesting leading performance would have helped the show as a whole or not. Everything seemed low energy and the script is awful. It was the first production of the stage show that I've ever seen and I heard the book was revamped. How bad was the original book if they needed to revamp it and it still came out crappy?

by Anonymousreply 164December 14, 2019 6:39 PM

^ Snort, doesn't Audra MacDonald have 6 Tonys?

by Anonymousreply 165December 14, 2019 6:39 PM

The book for Funny Girl is crap. They were rewriting the 2nd Act for the original production practically to opening night. Stubbornly marrying a loser isn't that compelling.

by Anonymousreply 166December 14, 2019 7:49 PM

[quote]Stubbornly marrying a loser isn't that compelling.

So I guess we won't be seeing "Melania: The Musical."

by Anonymousreply 167December 14, 2019 8:16 PM

There's nothing wrong with FUNNY GIRL'S book. But directors have to know how to coalesce the myths that are the heart of the libretto: a rags-to-riches showbiz saga; ugly ducking-turns-into-a-swan fairytale; a Laugh-Clown-Laugh/There's-A-Broken-Heart-For-Every-Light-Bulb-On-Broadway heartbreaker.

by Anonymousreply 168December 14, 2019 8:28 PM

They weren't able to do that in the movie, so...

by Anonymousreply 169December 14, 2019 8:29 PM

Was listening to a podcast where the speaker shared some interesting tidbits about musicals.

He said Bernstein was working on West Side Story at about the same time as Candide. Apparently WSS’s One Hand, One Heart as well as Officer Krumpke tunes were originally meant for Candide

by Anonymousreply 170December 14, 2019 8:45 PM

[quote]There's nothing wrong with FUNNY GIRL'S book

Except for the fact that it's terrible. The changes it went through rehearsal and out of town were immense, and the script shows the seams of all the patchwork. Isobel Lennart was an inexperienced playwright and was in over her head with all the requests for changes.

That's why the film was rewritten so completely from the stage show. Isobel Lennart was a twice Oscar-nominated screenwriter, and she was finally working in a medium she was comfortable with. She regarded it as her chance to "get it right." The fact that it's still only a marginal story has to do more with the approach to Brice's life that was decided upon by Stark (and his wife).

by Anonymousreply 171December 14, 2019 10:38 PM

How man husbands did Brice have?

by Anonymousreply 172December 14, 2019 10:43 PM

*many

by Anonymousreply 173December 14, 2019 10:43 PM

Three, r172. Her first husband was Frank White, whom she married while she was in her teens. It didn't last that long. Then came Arnstein and later Rose.

by Anonymousreply 174December 14, 2019 10:46 PM

Well, whaddya know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175December 15, 2019 2:17 AM

You can never count out Judy. I always figured she had at least one more comeback in her.

by Anonymousreply 176December 15, 2019 2:19 AM

I tell ya, r176, and she didn't let being dead get in her way!

by Anonymousreply 177December 15, 2019 2:31 AM

Is it wrong to say that Brice's story just isn't that interesting? Or at least the approach they took with it wasn't very interesting. She overcomes her awkward looks within the first 20 minutes when she's hired by Ziegfeld and the rest of the conflict in the show centers around Nick and his debts and if Fanny will stay with him. It's not very exciting. They could have at least thrown in a few bits where her roles in the show are cut and given to more beautiful girls or something. Give her something else to fight.

It's one of those shows where I want to leave after act 1. There's not enough conflict or drama to keep me interested and rooting for the character.

by Anonymousreply 178December 15, 2019 2:57 AM

Ugh. That dance mix of "The Man Who Got Away" is pure shit.

by Anonymousreply 179December 15, 2019 3:00 AM

Didn't Brice try for a film career at one point?

by Anonymousreply 180December 15, 2019 3:00 AM

Yup, r179. It's not in the least bit clever. Even the Merman disco album had better arrangements.

by Anonymousreply 181December 15, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote]It's one of those shows where I want to leave after act 1. There's not enough conflict or drama to keep me interested and rooting for the character.

Can it be cut down to a 1 act musical? Maybe 2 intermissionless hours like A Chorus Line was?

by Anonymousreply 182December 15, 2019 3:03 AM

^^How is that going to solve the book problems?

by Anonymousreply 183December 15, 2019 3:13 AM

Maybe not a better book, but less of it, at least.

by Anonymousreply 184December 15, 2019 3:15 AM

Yes, it's a second-rate book, but the first-rate score will always make it tempting to revive.

by Anonymousreply 185December 15, 2019 3:22 AM

Funny Girl has a better score than Gypsy. The difference is that Gypsy matches a great score with a great book. Maybe I'm just sick of Gypsy and I never want to hear it again while I always enjoy hearing the songs to Funny Girl. Except for Find Yourself a Man the only real clunker out of a lot of songs.

By the way aren't we due for another Gypsy revival on Broadway? Sutton Foster is the right age. Or maybe SJP.

by Anonymousreply 186December 15, 2019 4:43 AM

Dear god, no one suggest SJP sing on Bway ever again. Not in anything.

by Anonymousreply 187December 15, 2019 4:48 AM

Maybe they can throw some songs into Plaza Suite

by Anonymousreply 188December 15, 2019 7:40 AM

R188, "There's a Small Hotel"?

by Anonymousreply 189December 15, 2019 8:44 AM

R24, Choice Orchestra seats for preferred evenings are gone already. A balcony seat will set you back $200.

by Anonymousreply 190December 15, 2019 8:50 AM

I think GYPSY is by far a better score than FUNNY GIRL. There are no clunkers in the GYPSY score (unless one counts "Little Lamb," which I don't), and there are several in FUNNY GIRL. Plus GYPSY has Stephen Sondheim's lyrics.

Gypsy has the better OBC album too.

by Anonymousreply 191December 15, 2019 10:59 AM

[quote]It's one of those shows where I want to leave after act 1

If you'd seen the "Funny Girl" with Pia Zadora and Adrian Zmed in Long Beach back in the early 90s, you would have wanted to leave after Scene 1.

by Anonymousreply 192December 15, 2019 11:02 AM

They may not be clunkers but I do not need to hear You'll Never Get Away From Me, All I Need Is the Girl, Small World, Little Lamb and Wherever We Go again. Not many of Gypsy's songs hold up after hearing them a thousand times.

by Anonymousreply 193December 15, 2019 12:15 PM

This is for R186. Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 15, 2019 12:21 PM

r192 - hee-hee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195December 15, 2019 12:48 PM

They still hold up for their purpose, r193. It's a show that works and thus gets performed to the point where we're fatigued to it.

by Anonymousreply 196December 15, 2019 12:57 PM

The songs you mention, r193 are all top notch and have stood the test of time for decades.

by Anonymousreply 197December 15, 2019 1:04 PM

[quote]Funny Girl has a better score than Gypsy.

Heresy!

by Anonymousreply 198December 15, 2019 1:32 PM

Pia Zadora and Adrian Zmed -- should've been paired with "Liza with a 'Z'"

by Anonymousreply 199December 15, 2019 1:32 PM

Adrian Zmed has a great voice and was terrific in "Blood Brothers".

by Anonymousreply 200December 15, 2019 2:02 PM

Adrian singing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 15, 2019 2:17 PM

He can match pitch. And the "Just for Men" is not so good either.

by Anonymousreply 202December 15, 2019 2:38 PM

I didn't say they're not top notch. I just never want to hear them again.

Strangely, and I don't know why this is, but the score to Hello Dolly while not nearly as good is one that I never get tired of either on the obc or Streisand's electrifying film renditions.

by Anonymousreply 203December 15, 2019 2:44 PM

Zmed was a Danny Zuko in one of the touring casts I saw.

by Anonymousreply 204December 15, 2019 2:49 PM

The "Hello, Dolly!" score always leaves me feeling I've been clubbed by John Philip Sousa. It certainly has a few highlights, but the overall effect is not changed by them.

by Anonymousreply 205December 15, 2019 2:51 PM

Well I happen to like Sousa.

by Anonymousreply 206December 15, 2019 2:53 PM

"Henry Street," in fact, is one of the clunkers in "Funny Girl."

What an odd choice to do it as a tap routine

by Anonymousreply 207December 15, 2019 3:03 PM

Question for the Funny Girl experts: who wrote the replacements lyrics for Private Schwarz and why? In Europe, Private Schwarz is never performed. The lyrics a changed to „Mabel (something) from Arkansas“.

by Anonymousreply 208December 15, 2019 3:04 PM

Henry Street is a tuneful pastiche of a very old music hall number. It is meant to be a tap number. That is just poorly staged. It's filler but I wouldn't call it a clunker. It gives Fanny a rest.

by Anonymousreply 209December 15, 2019 3:12 PM

'A filler, but not a clunker.'

May we quote you?

by Anonymousreply 210December 15, 2019 3:16 PM

Not without attribution.

by Anonymousreply 211December 15, 2019 3:20 PM

This conversation. Is bordering on absurd. Funny Girl has a few great songs, but no person with any degree of knowledge or judgment would say it has a better score. Audacity does not mean you are right.

by Anonymousreply 212December 15, 2019 3:22 PM

Gypsy, schmypsy.

I'll have you hearing FUNNY GIRL as if for the first time!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213December 15, 2019 3:25 PM

The best part of Funny Girl is the overture.

by Anonymousreply 214December 15, 2019 3:45 PM

Making allowances for her age and level of experience, I like what she does vocally with "People" (which can be static and a bit of a cipher if you're trying to make something dramatic happen). And she keeps her acting going even with the enervating orchestra clanking along behind her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215December 15, 2019 3:46 PM

[quote]Funny Girl has a better score than Gypsy.

You must be on drugs. Some (not all) of the music of FUNNY GIRL is pretty great, but many of the lyrics are shite. It's actually a tribute to Styne that his music is good enough to somewhat disguise the fact that so much of Merrill's work is awful. Two examples: "People," in which the normally unstressed second syllable of that word is written to be sung on a held note, and "Don't Rain on My Parade," in which it's impossible to sing the lyrics with the rhythms and notes that are written and make them all understandable.

by Anonymousreply 216December 15, 2019 3:59 PM

Unfortunately, William Wyler (or the powers that be at the studio) didn't use the original overture to "Funny Girl" in the film. Ok, it includes the music to the gorgeous "The Music Which Makes Me Dance" which wasn't used for the film, but still -- it's one of Broadway's best and most exciting overtures.

by Anonymousreply 217December 15, 2019 4:08 PM

Barbra knows it, too -- she's included the "Funny Girl" overture in many of her live concerts in recent years to get the audience revved up.

by Anonymousreply 218December 15, 2019 4:09 PM

Sistuhs....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219December 15, 2019 4:39 PM

I've seen "Funny Girl" numerous times. I couldn't name every song in the score. Unlike "Gypsy."

by Anonymousreply 220December 15, 2019 4:59 PM

R217, I agree with you about the quality of the FUNNY GIRL stage show overture, but you must know that Broadway overtures are almost never used in the film versions of the shows.

That said, an adapted version of the FUNNY GIRL overture is, in fact, used for the film -- as the actual overture, i.e., the music that plays in the theater with no image, just before the film proper begins, rather than as the "main title" music under the opening credits. The FUNNY GIRL movie overture starts the same way as the stage overture, with the "Nicky Arnstein, Nicky Arnstein" theme, and it also includes "I'm the Greatest Star" and ends with "Don't Rain on My Parade" and reprise of the "Nicky Arnstein" theme, as does the show overture. But there are also some differences, with the new "Funny Girl" title song replacing "The Music that Makes Me Dance" and some other changes. Plus the orchestrations are quite different.

The FUNNY GIRL film overture is included on the film soundtrack album at the beginning, listed as the overture, where as the main title music for the film is included as the last track.

by Anonymousreply 221December 15, 2019 5:08 PM

[quote] I agree with you about the quality of the FUNNY GIRL stage show overture, but you must know that Broadway overtures are almost never used in the film versions of the shows.

One exception being the movie version of "Gypsy." Jule Styne is seen under the credits conducting the orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 222December 15, 2019 5:34 PM

They're both great scores, but Gypsy has a much more interesting story than Funny Girl. That's a show where you can't wait to come back after intermission just to see how much further Rose will sink and who will survive when she's through with them. Funny Girl is, at best, entertaining enough in act 1, but act 2 is a real stinker.

by Anonymousreply 223December 15, 2019 6:44 PM

Miss Vicki Lewis....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224December 15, 2019 6:52 PM

I said that I am sick of the Gypsy score even though it's great. I don't need to hear it again. For the most part. And the Funny Girl overture opens the film soundtrack album. And I believe it was used as the overture for the film when it played first run in roadshow before the film began. People was used for the title sequence. The evergreen score of Funny Girl is so rich a number of terrific songs had to be cut for the film. The book sinks it as a viable stage work.

Also Funny Girl lasted well beyond Streisand on Broadway. Gypsy did not last beyond Merman. Clearly there was a reason for that when there were so many other shows to see. Also Funny Girl when it opened was a sold out smash. Gypsy was not. People were fighting to get into The Sound of Music. They were not fighting to get into Gypsy. The Sound of Music is still a popular hit. After all the gay men in the city see Gypsy it closes. The SOM score has become part of the American cultural DNA. Gypsy has not. But if there were any justice in the theater Merrily We Roll Along would have been a smash hit.

by Anonymousreply 225December 15, 2019 7:57 PM

r225. There is so much wrong with both the logic and facts in your post, it's hard to know where to begin. Gypsy may have been closel associated with Merman in its first, but every succeeding Broadway revival has brought its own inimitable stamp--whether it be the Lansbury revival, Daly, Peters, or Lupone. Some may not had long runs, but all added something to Merman's and Robbins' original. The film was problematic (the addition of the clunky narration by Rose, which misses the point of view of the show entirely; the dubbing of Rose's songs) and the TV version with Midler, who sounded like perfect casting, but demonstrated her limitations as an actress. Nonetheless, Gypsy remains eternally new--even if I, like other pistes, have some Gypsy fatigue. Funny Girl, which I loved as a film as a kid, has to have a very specific kind of star to work (even more than Gypsy). My high school did it and, in parallel fashion, an unknown girl--not one of the undulating "stars"-- got the role of Fanny and acquitted herself well, but you still felt the specific idiosyncrasies of a role designed for Streisand in the music. The kids in the chorus enjoyed found the big numbers (Henry Street, Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat, His Love Makes Me Beautiful) lots of fun, but the show really did rest mainly on the girl who played Fanny--with the occasional good Titan for Eddie, Mrs. Brice, and the usually thankless material for Arnstein. It was a peculiar choice for a high school (as would be Gypsy, for that matter). The book for FG is pretty cliche, there to pass time between Fanny's numbers. Yes, it continued to run after Streisand left, and with some good turns by folk like Mimi Hines, but it has never had a major revival (unless uyou count the recent run with Sheridan Smith).

by Anonymousreply 226December 15, 2019 8:14 PM

[quote]but it has never had a major revival (unless uyou count the recent run with Sheridan Smith).

Which we don't.

by Anonymousreply 227December 15, 2019 8:18 PM

And now for something completely different:

The original film of 42nd Street was on TV this afternoon and since I hadn't seen it several years, I watched. During commercials I skimmed the Wikipedia article on the film. The article said that in the novel the film is based on, Julian Marsh is gay and Billy Lawler is his boyfriend. Someone on the IMBD Trivia page pointed out that that is probably why Marsh is the only male character who isn't constantly trying to lay the chorus girls and might explain explain a throwaway line when Marsh asks Andy if he'd like to spend the night with him.

Who knew? I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 228December 15, 2019 8:29 PM

Why wouldn't you count the run with Smith? She was wrong for the role but the production was commercially successful. That fact underlines that "Funny Girl" doesn't need Streisand (or "a Streisand type") to run - as Mimi Hines proved back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 229December 15, 2019 8:33 PM

Now go out there, r228, and be so good, you'll make me hate you.

by Anonymousreply 230December 15, 2019 8:52 PM

[quote]The article said that in the novel the film is based on, Julian Marsh is gay and Billy Lawler is his boyfriend.

I'm surprised that Wanda Reichert, Child of God, appeared in such material of low morals.

by Anonymousreply 231December 15, 2019 9:18 PM

People were far less picky in the 60s. They were content with Mimi Hines because they knew her from TV. Name me one performer who could make it a hit today, aside from a few major stars, all of whom wouldn't dare to try it.

by Anonymousreply 232December 15, 2019 9:43 PM

Idina Menzel made something of a success of that "If/Then" piece. She could probably do the same for "Funny Girl" even if she's 50.

by Anonymousreply 233December 15, 2019 9:47 PM

[Quote] They were content with Mimi Hines because they knew her from TV.

And Brits know Sheridan Smith from TV. "Funny Girl" has been proven commercially viable without Streisand, not once but twice.

by Anonymousreply 234December 15, 2019 9:51 PM

Not on Broadway, r234.....

by Anonymousreply 235December 15, 2019 9:54 PM

I saw Streisand on Broadway in FUNNY GIRL. If I had a choice, I would pick Mimi Hines who is actually funny and whose voice I prefer.

by Anonymousreply 236December 15, 2019 9:55 PM

[Quote] Not on Broadway, [R234].....

Mimi Hines played it on Broadway, dear. But continue beating your drum...

by Anonymousreply 237December 15, 2019 9:56 PM

It would sell out in a second with this one. (Though it might have to be unofficially retitled "Girl" a la the Pia Zadora production.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238December 15, 2019 9:58 PM

[quote]One exception being the movie version of "Gypsy." Jule Styne is seen under the credits conducting the orchestra.

I don't think that's Styne, but otherwise, you're right. Another movie musical that used the show overture, in only slightly adapted form, is MY FAIR LADY. And also the CHICAGO movie starts with the same music used at the beginning of the show, but that's not really an overture.

One of the reasons why the great Mimi Hines had a great success in FUNNY GIRL is that she did the show BEFORE the release of the movie, which indelibly associated the role with Streisand forever after. Anyone tackling the role today has that VERY steep mountain to climb. I think it's fair to say that no other musical theater role -- not the king in THE KING AND I, not Henry Higgins in MY FAIR LADY, maybe not even Harold Hill in THE MUSICAL MAN -- is no inextricably associated with one performer as Fanny Brice is with Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 239December 15, 2019 10:05 PM

Did Streisand go to see the show right after she left to see Hines and wish her great success? Babs talks about how kindness to others is so important.

by Anonymousreply 240December 15, 2019 10:09 PM

I've never wished for more Follies talk so fervently in my life.

by Anonymousreply 241December 15, 2019 10:11 PM

That is Styne conducting the Gypsy overture, though he didn't conduct the rest of the score.

I wonder if Yul Brynner isn't just as identified with the King as Streisand is with Fanny. The difference is that it isn't difficult to find other kings; I've seen Darren McGavin, Farley Granger, and Rudolf Nuryeyev in the role.

But Fanny really is difficult to cast. Sheridan Smith may have pleased some, but not others. And her playing it non-ethnically robs the story of some of its presence. It's a period thing, because Jewish performers played "Jewish" deliberately in ways they no longer need or want to do.

by Anonymousreply 242December 15, 2019 10:16 PM

Shouldn't that be "conducting"?

by Anonymousreply 243December 15, 2019 10:38 PM

There was a very good production of Funny Girl at NSMT in Beverly, MA two summers ago with Shoshana Bean and Aaron Lazar.

by Anonymousreply 244December 15, 2019 10:43 PM

Re-team Annaleigh Ashford and Jake Gyllenhaal for FUNNY GIRL!

by Anonymousreply 245December 15, 2019 10:44 PM

R244, Bradley Dean, not Aaron Lazar.

by Anonymousreply 246December 15, 2019 10:48 PM

What's the buzz on DEVIL WEARS PRADA?

by Anonymousreply 247December 15, 2019 11:19 PM

I just got an email from Jack Viertel:

He loved steering Encores for the last 20 years

If I pledge $100, I'll get a poster with the show art from all 60 shows.

If I pledge $250, Jack with SIGN IT FOR ME!

Happy holidays to you and yours!

by Anonymousreply 248December 15, 2019 11:26 PM

I thought we were finally free of Jack Viertel. Guess not.

by Anonymousreply 249December 16, 2019 12:15 AM

After seeing that London revival of Funny Girl, I started to realize that maybe the reason the show hasn't been revived on Broadway isn't because of Streisand's ghost all over it, but because the story isn't interesting enough to lend itself to multiple new interpretations. As someone else mentioned, Gypsy has been revived several times and has usually been well received (even if it'll never be a feel-good crowd pleaser that plays for years), but they all that their own stamp. You remember that Lansbury brought a daffy, whimsical touch to Rose, Peters brought out a sexy lost little girl side to Rose, Daly brought out the funny and deeply human side of Rose, and LuPone brought the brass out and the supporting cast gave more meat to their roles than ever before.

Funny Girl rests on if the lead can belt all those songs or not and land a few of the jokes. It's not a very complicated, tour de force kind of role that lends itself to multiple interpretations. Most people simply copy Streisand, because the book was re-tooled to fit only her.

by Anonymousreply 250December 16, 2019 12:48 AM

I still am reeling that there is someone on this board who thinks a) Funny Girl’s score is superior to Gypsy’s or b) a downsized West End transfer and a replacement cast are at all comparable to five Broadway productions in proving commercial viability. You are way over your head.

by Anonymousreply 251December 16, 2019 12:55 AM

[Quote] a downsized West End transfer and a replacement cast are at all comparable to five Broadway productions in proving commercial viability. You are way over your head.

Funny Girl has been proven to be a commercially viable property beyond Streisand. No one has said it's "Gypsy" or "West Side Story" or any other property you compare to name to make a dishonest argument.

The London revival not only played the West End, it had a successful tour of the UK & Ireland. Smith wasn't even right for the role but there was enough interest in her and she was sufficiently well received to make the production a commercial success. It's not controversial to suggest that a name could do the same in the US. (And no, Lea Michele is not that name.)

by Anonymousreply 252December 16, 2019 1:00 AM

*any other property you care to name to make a dishonest argument.

by Anonymousreply 253December 16, 2019 1:01 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254December 16, 2019 1:03 AM

I'm a bit sick of GYPSY myself, and don't need to see another version for a few years.

That said: Arthur Laurent's book is regarded as one of the best ever written for a musical by diehard show queens in the know. Audiences aren't supposed to care (or know) about a musical's book, but it's a primary reason why some shows get revived again and again.

So--disregarding the scores for these shows--here's my list for some of the best written books for musicals:

SOUTH PACIFIC

SHE LOVES ME

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

SWEENEY TODD

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM

CABARET

by Anonymousreply 255December 16, 2019 1:07 AM

PS: I love Sondheim as much as anybody. But SWEENEY and FORUM are the only ones I'd consider. His other shows have brilliant scores, but the books (IMHO) run the gamut from serviceable (NIGHT MUSIC) to wretched (SUNDAY, PASSION). I've never understood why most of his book writers never come close to his level of talent.

by Anonymousreply 256December 16, 2019 1:11 AM

[Quote] I've never understood why most of his book writers never come close to his level of talent.

There's only one star in a Helen Lawson show...

by Anonymousreply 257December 16, 2019 1:19 AM

R208, in the current Paris production the “Private Schwartz” part in “Rat-a-tat-tat” is being used.

by Anonymousreply 258December 16, 2019 1:25 AM

[quote]Gypsy has been revived several times and has usually been well received

Gypsy has been revived several times for one reason and one reason only. So the next generation of aged Broadway Divas can sing "Rose's Turn". Period.

by Anonymousreply 259December 16, 2019 1:37 AM

Another dishonest argument for our Funny Girl fanatic: why haven’t you brought up the successful Broadway-bound Debbie Gibson tour in the 90s? Oh yeah, it cancelled most of the stops, including Broadway.

The show has some great songs, terrible lyrics, and a problematic book that relies on a star turn that will always be overshadowed by the original performer. If you see this as commercially viable, it’s a good thing you are not working with investors.

by Anonymousreply 260December 16, 2019 1:48 AM

I still don't see why Lea Michele would not be perfect for this role. Why is there so much resistance against her?

by Anonymousreply 261December 16, 2019 2:51 AM

She is a very cold performer, R261. She has all of the right technical elements but she's charmless and radiates "bitch."

by Anonymousreply 262December 16, 2019 2:54 AM

Rebel Wilson *IS* Fanny Brice in Funny Girl

by Anonymousreply 263December 16, 2019 2:54 AM

[quote]I still don't see why Lea Michele would not be perfect for this role. Why is there so much resistance against her?

Because she would just channel Barbra's performance and not bring anything new to the role. Nobody wants to pay $500 to see Lea channeling Barbra.

Plus, she's been so up in everyone's face that she was BORN to do the revival. So producers are denying her just because she assumes that the role is owed to her.

by Anonymousreply 264December 16, 2019 2:56 AM

[Quote] why haven’t you brought up the successful Broadway-bound Debbie Gibson tour in the 90s? Oh yeah, it cancelled most of the stops, including Broadway.

I brought up the Pia Zadora production... Are you laboring under the false impression that I think anyone can succeed as Fanny Brice in "Funny Girl"? No. Some women other than Streisand have made a success in the role. (And I wasn't a fan of Sheridan Smith's Fanny.)

by Anonymousreply 265December 16, 2019 3:03 AM

Just give the role to Lady Gaga and be done with it. Have Jake G play Nicky. Box office success! Who cares about the show. People will flock to see Gaga and Jake.

by Anonymousreply 266December 16, 2019 3:03 AM

Jake wouldn't do it. Ricky Martin would.

by Anonymousreply 267December 16, 2019 3:04 AM

According to Wikipedia, Styne originally asked Sondheim to do the lyrics but at that point Anne Bancroft was attached to play Fanny and Sondheim declined, telling Styne that she had to be a Jewish girl. Bancroft eventually dropped out (as had Mary Martin had before her -- yes, Mary Martin was the original casting) and the part was then offered to Carol Burnett, who was very interested but finally passed, telling Styne, Stark and Kanin again that she had to be a Jewish girl. Many other ladies were considered and/or offered the part before Styne found Streisand, including Edie Gorme, who insisted on her husband Steve Laurence as Nicky.

The show had a years long and highly convoluted genesis. The project didn't even begin as a musical. Producer Stark first commissioned a written biography of his mother-in-law Brice. But he was so dissatisfied with the final results that he pulled the rights shortly before publication. Stark then commissioned Ben Hecht to write a screenplay based on the story. Mary Martin somehow read the screenplay and convinced Stark to do it as a Broadway musical with her in the lead. Streisand was cast in the lead before she was cast in I Can Get It for You Wholesale, which opened before Funny Girl. There were lots of times when the whole project was on hiatus, including when Styne left to write Fade Out Fade In for Burnett. Isobel Lennart's first draft of the musical's book was titled My Man and the score was to be a mix of new songs with Brice's standards.

The hero of the story is Jerome Robbins. Director Garson Kanin invited him in for advice early on and he spent a substantial amount of time on the project but eventually left. Early previews didn't go well and Streisand finally demanded that he be brought back to doctor the show. (He was still advising Kanin when she was first hired.) Styne supported her. Robbins agreed and eventually replaced Kanin as director and supervised choreographer Carol Haney. He made major changes in the most difficult of situations and the show started getting a positive reception. He has never received any formal credit for his work on the show but I can only imagine that his estate is stilll getting some nice royalty checks.

Sorry this has been so disjointed but you can imagine trying to make a coherent but brief account of the show's origins. It should help someone understand why the show is such a combination of great parts and total mess. As I said, some of this came from Wikipedia but much of it is stories I heard as a show queen in Manhattan for over 40 years.

BTW, Funny Girl was not the first musical based on Brice's life. In the late 1930s Fox made a really nice film called Rose of Washington Square starring Alice Faye. Faye played a famous singer/actress who falls for a cad and sang several of of Brice's signature songs, including Rose of WS and My Man. Brice sued and Fox finally settled out of court.

Sorry for any typos, i'm stopping now.

by Anonymousreply 268December 16, 2019 3:20 AM

As if Gaga would show up to do 8 shows a week. Or even 6.

There's not enough money in the world.

(Too bad, because she'd actually be pretty good.)

by Anonymousreply 269December 16, 2019 3:21 AM

Does Gaga have a funny bone?

by Anonymousreply 270December 16, 2019 3:27 AM

[quote]He has never received any formal credit for his work on the show but I can only imagine that his estate is stilll getting some nice royalty checks.

Jerome Robbins is listed in the ibdb.com credits as "Production Supervised By" so he must have been listed somewhere in the Playbill credits. I don't think ibdb would just add his name based on gossip and make up a title for him.

by Anonymousreply 271December 16, 2019 3:35 AM

I easily stand corrected about Robbins credits. Appreciated. I started to and should have checked the the Playbill Vault but my vinyl copy of the OBCR happened to be two feet from my desk, so I checked that and didn't see his name

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272December 16, 2019 3:44 AM

Shevelove and Gelbart wrote the book for Forum

by Anonymousreply 273December 16, 2019 3:45 AM

I thought she was very funny when she tried to channel Julie Andrews singing in "The Sound of Music" a few years ago in Andrews' original keys. Unfortunately, she wasn't going for laughs.

by Anonymousreply 274December 16, 2019 4:00 AM

[quote] Streisand was cast in the lead before she was cast in I Can Get It for You Wholesale

That isn’t accurate, r268.

Streisand finished the Broadway run of ICGIFYW in early December, 1962. Anne Bancroft didn’t even bow out of Funny Girl till after she won her Oscar in early April, 1963. David Merrick, who had produced Wholesale, took Styne to hear Streisand at the Blue Angel club, and then she began a series of auditions for the part.

by Anonymousreply 275December 16, 2019 4:21 AM

If a girl isn’t pretty, With a hot, gigantic clitty...

by Anonymousreply 276December 16, 2019 5:25 AM

[quote] Because she would just channel Barbra's performance and not bring anything new to the role. Nobody wants to pay $500 to see Lea channeling Barbra. Plus, she's been so up in everyone's face that she was BORN to do the revival. So producers are denying her just because she assumes that the role is owed to her.

You might be confusing her with her character from "Glee", the obsessed with being a star Rachel Berry which was written well before Lea auditioned for Murphy. It was Colfer's character that was created for him and not in the pilot, after he auditioned for Artie.

[quote]Just give the role to Lady Gaga and be done with it. Have Jake G play Nicky. Box office success! Who cares about the show. People will flock to see Gaga and Jake.

Gaga has been talked about for the role since she sang on the Oscars. But c'mon, give it to her? She has the power, she literally just has to say I want to do it and chiropractors all around town will be booked with people bending over backwards to make it happen. However, would Gyllenhaal really take such a lackluster role? There is no big show stopper for him.

by Anonymousreply 277December 16, 2019 8:18 AM

You think Gaga would do a broadway show? And if she did, it would be Funny Girl?????

by Anonymousreply 278December 16, 2019 8:50 AM

R278, A limited run, yes.

by Anonymousreply 279December 16, 2019 9:36 AM

R258, Thank you. That is interesting. I have seen the revised version used in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.

I checked. The lyrics used in Europe are "Mabel Jones from Arkansas";so, the Jewish content has been removed. Basically, the revised song is about a woman who joins the army to sleep with all of the men.

by Anonymousreply 280December 16, 2019 11:18 AM

Lea Michele already had her audtion for FUNNY GIRL and it did not go well at all. If anyone can watch - and listen to her scooping and swooping all over the place - and find her a worthy successor to anyone but Pia Zadora and the notorious Long Beach FUNNY GIRL, then go right ahead and believe your nonsense. You are beyond help.

If Lea Michele and Matthew Morrison did a six week outdoor summer stock tour of FUNNY GIRL, the kind of tour that once went everywhere but now no longer exists, that would be just fine. Starlight. Kenley. Guber/Gross. Barbara Cook / George Hamilton. Carol Lawrence / Harve Presnell. Lea Michele / Matthew Morrison. It fits.

But Broadway? If you think that would be successful, artistically or financially, you have blindly stumbled to a place you do not belong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281December 16, 2019 1:16 PM

[quote]PS: I love Sondheim as much as anybody. But SWEENEY and FORUM are the only ones I'd consider. His other shows have brilliant scores, but the books (IMHO) run the gamut from serviceable (NIGHT MUSIC) to wretched (SUNDAY, PASSION).

I more or less agree with you about the books for SUNDAY and PASSION, but I'm surprised you feel that way about NIGHT MUSIC. I think it's one of the best books for any of the Sondheim shows

by Anonymousreply 282December 16, 2019 2:44 PM

[quote] I still don't see why Lea Michele would not be perfect for this role. Why is there so much resistance against her?

Any time I've heard her sing songs from the score, it sounds awful. She just cant keep the songs in tune

by Anonymousreply 283December 16, 2019 2:50 PM

I saw Lea Michele do SPRING AWAKENING on Bway a decade ago. She's very talented.

But GLEE feels like ancient history now. Can Lea actually sell seats the way a Bway star needs to? I'm not so sure.

by Anonymousreply 284December 16, 2019 3:30 PM

Has Lea even performed in any production of Funny Girl anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 285December 16, 2019 3:32 PM

You're in luck, bitches . . . Lea Michele and Jonathan Groff are performing together tonight on Jimmy Fallon.

by Anonymousreply 286December 16, 2019 3:37 PM

I know the poster meant it as a joke, but Rebel Wilson in Funny Girl would be inspired. She is obnoxious and not attractive, but she can make herself appealing by sheer force of personality. Being able to land a hunk like Armstein and then worrying about losing him would have the necessary dramatic tension, because he is so out of her league. She was in those Pitch Perfect movies, so I am assuming she can sing. I really like that idea. I don't think she has ever done theater, though.

by Anonymousreply 287December 16, 2019 4:02 PM

I'd love to see a production of Funny Girl just because I"ve never seen one. I'm sick to death of umpteeth Gypsys.

That said, I'd always wanted to see a production of Hello, Dolly! but felt it was dated as hell when I saw Bette Midler in the Bway production. Seeing the original tour of The Wiz changed my life when I was a kid and had been hoping to see another production for decades. I finally got to see the NY City Center version and realized what a weak book it had.

I'm also dying to see Mame.

by Anonymousreply 288December 16, 2019 4:12 PM

Oh dear, r288. I'm afraid you'll be very regretful to give your life up for....MAME.

by Anonymousreply 289December 16, 2019 4:20 PM

I saw "Mame" with Christine Baranski back in 2006, in a Kennedy Center production that had hopes, quickly dashed, of a Broadway transfer. It was directed by that hack Eric Schaeffer, which no doubt didn't help, but it was clear to me that "Hello, Dolly!" has held up a hell of a lot better than "Mame" has.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290December 16, 2019 4:45 PM

I think R287 vastly overstates Rebel Wilson's appeal and abilities.

I have seen all 3 PITCH PERFECT movies (really enjoyed 2 of them, anyway) and was completely over Rebel midway through the second one. No, she cannot sing. She's sustained a middling career this long with a very minor talent for comedy and not much else.

by Anonymousreply 291December 16, 2019 4:49 PM

As has their source materials, r290.

by Anonymousreply 292December 16, 2019 5:35 PM

[quote]Lea Michele already had her audtion for FUNNY GIRL and it did not go well at all. If anyone can watch - and listen to her scooping and swooping all over the place - and find her a worthy successor to anyone but Pia Zadora and the notorious Long Beach FUNNY GIRL, then go right ahead and believe your nonsense. You are beyond help.

Who died and left you the almighty?

by Anonymousreply 293December 16, 2019 5:40 PM

Rebel Wilson was a replacement Adelaide in the last West End revival of Guys 'n' Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 294December 16, 2019 5:53 PM

How'd she do?

by Anonymousreply 295December 16, 2019 6:02 PM

Anyone know why Telly left Aladdin?

by Anonymousreply 296December 16, 2019 6:04 PM

Rebel without a pause....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297December 16, 2019 6:05 PM

[quote] I'm also dying to see Mame.

You're in luck, R288. There just happens to be a mighty fine film version of MAME.

It's something of a cause célèbre here at Data Lounge. Did you know???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298December 16, 2019 6:08 PM

This looked swell....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299December 16, 2019 6:12 PM

Baranski as Mame is the definition of trying too hard. In that clip anyway. Who was the Vera?

by Anonymousreply 300December 16, 2019 7:06 PM

Harriet Harris.

by Anonymousreply 301December 16, 2019 7:07 PM

I'm the one who said that the book of Funny Girl is not viable but I am sick to death of Gypsy(while admitting its greatness as a musical) so I'll listen to the score of Funny Girl any day over it.

Hundreds of generations of gay men should come and go before Gypsy is ever done again anywhere in the universe. Because absolutely no one else wants to see it.

Keep reeling.

And fuck every single one of you who has a problem with Bob Merrill. May you be crushed by an entire cargo ship load of Rolling Stone magazines.

by Anonymousreply 302December 16, 2019 7:21 PM

I actually like the film version of MAME. Granted, the last time I saw it was when I was 10.

by Anonymousreply 303December 16, 2019 7:23 PM

[Quote] Keep reeling.

Reeling from what? Your "There, I said it" bombshell?

by Anonymousreply 304December 16, 2019 7:25 PM

Bob Merrill's music and lyrics for "New Girl in Town" and "Carnival!" are quite good. Some of his lyrics for "Funny Girl" aren't as good, some are very good, and Barbra and the creative team made them work.

by Anonymousreply 305December 16, 2019 7:33 PM

The guy who said he was reeling by my yes thunderous earth shaking opinion.

Because a gay man's opinion on a Broadway musical affects everyone's life.

by Anonymousreply 306December 16, 2019 7:35 PM

[Quote] Because a gay man's opinion on a Broadway musical affects

Well...

by Anonymousreply 307December 16, 2019 7:38 PM

Any recap of who performed (and what) and/or spoke at Hal Prince's memorial service today? Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 308December 16, 2019 7:43 PM

I don't think that's Styne either, r329, though I know he is credited on IMDB and from certain angles the conductor could be said to resemble Styne. I don't think Styne had the chops to conduct something like the Gypsy overture, with its tricky shifts in tempi. I always thought it was Milton Rosenstock, but he wore glasses. Could it be Frank Perkins?

by Anonymousreply 309December 16, 2019 7:51 PM

And for the record, Hugh Wheeler's book for ALNM is one of the very best librettos ever written for the American musical stage.

by Anonymousreply 310December 16, 2019 7:52 PM

R310 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 311December 16, 2019 8:16 PM

except he probably should have said 'libretti'

by Anonymousreply 312December 16, 2019 8:27 PM

Agreed about Hugh Wheeler's book, but there's something I've always been curious about. The official credit says, "suggested by a film by Ingmar Bergman." This seems odd to me, because anyone who's seen Smiles Of A Summer Night knows that the musical follows the movie screenplay very closely. Does anyone know the reason for this?

by Anonymousreply 313December 16, 2019 8:32 PM

Didn't Sondheim suggest making the movie into a musical? The credit should really read "suggested by Steve".

by Anonymousreply 314December 16, 2019 8:48 PM

Gaga could probably sing Fanny well, but she's simply not funny. She's never demonstrated any knack for comedy at all.

Remember when Lauren Ambrose was attached to that revival of the show for a while. What weird casting that was. As it turns out in My Fair Lady, she had a much nicer voice than I'd originally assumed, but could she belt those songs? And her acting in that show didn't impress me much, especially during her musical numbers where she stopped acting altogether and started making strained faces and closing her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 315December 16, 2019 8:50 PM

The issue with that Baranski Mame is that Baranski is a Vera. In fact, she was born to play Vera. A Mame she is not. Oh, and the book for that show still sucks. Someone needs to go back, keep all the songs, and re-write it based closely on the Auntie Mame script. At least that script has a good number of laughs.

by Anonymousreply 316December 16, 2019 8:52 PM

Is it possible to take a Broadway musical and scrap the entire book and have a whole new writer do the book, but keep the same songs? I'm sure the original writer or their estate would block any attempt to do that.

by Anonymousreply 317December 16, 2019 8:55 PM

Wasn't Girl Crazy retooled as Crazy For You?

by Anonymousreply 318December 16, 2019 8:56 PM

R317, anything can happen if the parties agree and there is money to pay for it.

Inexplicably, The Scarlet Pimpernel had three distinct versions. Two versions ran on Broadway and a third version toured.

by Anonymousreply 319December 16, 2019 9:19 PM

Fixing the book is the only way I can think of to fix Mame. It really is painful in spots, but that score is really gorgeous and deserves to be heard by a modern audience.

by Anonymousreply 320December 16, 2019 9:23 PM

I can still imagine someone in 1966 saying that Lansbury was not a Mame, she was a Vera. Look at all her work up until then and she played hard, often chilly women. Who would have expected that she would have the warmth to play Mame?

If you look at Baranski, she always had a daffy sense of humor. Her Helena in Midsummer in the Park was a kind of young Mame. And she was essentially playing a modern Mame in Mama Mia.

by Anonymousreply 321December 16, 2019 9:25 PM

Yes, but Baranski's bread and butter roles are the bitches, like Maryann in "Cybill". She is not known for her warmth.

The problem with that production is that it had two Veras, Baranski and Harriet Harris, instead of a Mame and a Vera.

by Anonymousreply 322December 16, 2019 9:29 PM

[quote]I can still imagine someone in 1966 saying that Lansbury was not a Mame

They did say that. She was not on the producer's short list of actresses to play the role. She herself admits that she had to work for hours with Jerry Herman just to audition. And even after the audition, Jerry had to beg and plead to get them to offer the role to Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 323December 16, 2019 9:33 PM

Yes, two of the finalists for MAME were Lansbury and Dolores Gray. The third, Nanette Fabray was the only one known for "warmth."

by Anonymousreply 324December 16, 2019 9:34 PM

Nanette Fabray didn't audition, did she? Didn't she say something like "they know my work"?

by Anonymousreply 325December 16, 2019 9:36 PM

I can see it now: The major MAME revival will be in London with... Sheridan Smith.

by Anonymousreply 326December 16, 2019 9:36 PM

There will be no more major MAME revivals. It's over. She was an iconoclast in the repressive 1950's. She's nothing now. Mame got run over by the women's movement and the Summer of Love. She only clings to a shred of life in the minds of aging theater queens.

by Anonymousreply 327December 16, 2019 9:50 PM

If "Funny Girl" can be revived, so can "Mame"...

by Anonymousreply 328December 16, 2019 9:55 PM

Despite the changing times Auntie Mame is still a beloved film comedy classic. Herman's score is terrific. But it needs the kind of musical comedy star that no longer exists. Remember Lansbury had rigorous training at MGM and that included musicals. Mame needs warmth and enormous presence but at the same time can match Vera as a major bitch when need be. And none of the rewrites of classic musicals ever work. Yet they keep trying and pay writers a lot of money to make things worse.

by Anonymousreply 329December 16, 2019 10:25 PM

[Quote] Remember Lansbury had rigorous training at MGM and that included musicals.

Where she was almost invariably dubbed.

by Anonymousreply 330December 16, 2019 10:25 PM

The film rewrite of "Sound of Music" worked. It's better than the stage show. "Oliver!" is also better in its film rewrite.

by Anonymousreply 331December 16, 2019 10:26 PM

So is West Side Story.

by Anonymousreply 332December 16, 2019 10:28 PM

[quote]Is it possible to take a Broadway musical and scrap the entire book and have a whole new writer do the book, but keep the same songs? I'm sure the original writer or their estate would block any attempt to do that.

Very recent and examples include THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN and PAINT YOUR WAGON.

by Anonymousreply 333December 16, 2019 10:40 PM

ALNM differs from SMILES OF A SUMMER"S NIGHT in many ways: theme, structure, tone, just to name a few. The middle age ennui and intimations of mortality are much more prominent in the Wheeler (probably because they were more personal).

by Anonymousreply 334December 16, 2019 10:49 PM

GUYS AND DOLLS is another example where the original book was jettisoned and Abe Burrows wrote a whole new script around the extant Loesser score.

by Anonymousreply 335December 16, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote]GUYS AND DOLLS is another example where the original book was jettisoned and Abe Burrows wrote a whole new script around the extant Loesser score.

I don't think we're talking about shows that were rewritten before they opened, but shows that had their books rewritten for revivals, or rather revisals.

by Anonymousreply 336December 16, 2019 10:57 PM

[quote]Very recent and examples include THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN and PAINT YOUR WAGON

"Paint Your Wagon" is a terrible example of a rewritten show. There have been two new versions, and they both stink. The first was at the Geffen Playhouse in LA about ten years ago or so, and it was bad. The second was done at the 5th Avenue in Seattle about four years ago, and then the St. Louis Muny. It was even worse than the LA one.

When Encores did the original version (and recorded it), it proved the show works in its original version. It didn't need the crap that was done to it in Seattle, LA, and St. Louis.

by Anonymousreply 337December 16, 2019 10:59 PM

Well, then, the ludicrously bad and misconceived FLOWER DRUM SONG.

by Anonymousreply 338December 16, 2019 11:00 PM

To be clear, I wasn't commenting on the quality of the rewritten PAINT YOUR WAGON, because I haven't seen it. I was just giving examples of shows that have had the books completely rewritten.

by Anonymousreply 339December 16, 2019 11:31 PM

[quote] the ludicrously bad and misconceived FLOWER DRUM SONG.

Don't even mention that motherfucking piece of dog vomit that laid like a turd on the stage. Bad luck! Bad luck!

by Anonymousreply 340December 16, 2019 11:37 PM

Wasn't the book to Finnian's Rainbow basically re-written due to the original being incredibly politically incorrect?

by Anonymousreply 341December 17, 2019 12:57 AM

R313: That was at Ingmar Bergman's insistence. He didn't want the musical to be at all representative of his own art, so he gave Prince the rights on the condition that they change the title.

As for the "suggested" when the musical follows the original storyline, maybe that was what Bergman wanted as well. When rights contracts are drawn up, the credit line for the source material is always spelled out.

by Anonymousreply 342December 17, 2019 1:01 AM

Didn't they (somewhat) recently re-write On a Clear Day you can See Forever, to no great effect?

by Anonymousreply 343December 17, 2019 1:18 AM

FINIAN'S RAINBOW "political incorrectness" is its very point. One of the most original and innovative of book musicals.

by Anonymousreply 344December 17, 2019 1:21 AM

[quote]Didn't they (somewhat) recently re-write On a Clear Day you can See Forever, to no great effect?

It was radically revised for a Broadway production in 2011 that made the psychiatrist the central figure (as a vehicle for Harry Connick Jr.) and turned Daisy Gamble into a gay florist who's the reincarnation of a 1940s female big band singer.

The book was revised again, less radically, for last year's Irish Rep production starring Melissa Errico.

by Anonymousreply 345December 17, 2019 1:33 AM

Bonnie Milligan for Fanny Price

by Anonymousreply 346December 17, 2019 1:42 AM

Anyone seen West Side Story yet?

by Anonymousreply 347December 17, 2019 1:50 AM

[quote]FINIAN'S RAINBOW "political incorrectness" is its very point. One of the most original and innovative of book musicals.

Exactly. And, as far as I know, the book for this show has not been rewritten for any major production.

by Anonymousreply 348December 17, 2019 2:24 AM

R330 Angela sang and danced very well in the films Till the Clouds Roll By, Dorian Gray and Bed and Breakfast. Other than Harvey Girls what musicals was she dubbed in?

by Anonymousreply 349December 17, 2019 2:31 AM

Angela was more of a warbler than a singer.

by Anonymousreply 350December 17, 2019 2:37 AM

So what was Lucy?

by Anonymousreply 351December 17, 2019 2:39 AM

A croaker.

by Anonymousreply 352December 17, 2019 2:43 AM

[quote]Bonnie Milligan for Fanny Price

Did you mean Lonny Price?

by Anonymousreply 353December 17, 2019 2:45 AM

I did NOT croak--oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 354December 17, 2019 2:45 AM

1) Is the fucking annoying Funny Girl Loon gone?

Jeezus.

2) Mame is actually a tough role to cast (play and musical) because the character is both a bit of a bitch but a warm caring one.

That's tough to pull off. It requires an actress with the ability to play a classy, daffy, slightly bitchy, and very camp broad that also displays maternal warmth and sincerity.

by Anonymousreply 355December 17, 2019 3:03 AM

No the Funny Girl is a great score lover who never wants to hear fucking Gypsy again is right here.

Now go and perform Rose's Turn in your assisted living day room for the few dotty residents trapped in their wheel chairs who have already seen you do it every afternoon for the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 356December 17, 2019 3:20 AM

The Loon Returneth

by Anonymousreply 357December 17, 2019 3:23 AM

Wasn't that a Eugene O'Neill Show?

by Anonymousreply 358December 17, 2019 3:25 AM

I think the Sherman Brothers were working on "The Loon Returneth" when Walt died and the project got canceled.

Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 359December 17, 2019 3:28 AM

I think it was the musical adaptation of On Golden Pond, that bombed in New Haven.

by Anonymousreply 360December 17, 2019 3:29 AM

The big eleven o'clock number, "You're My Knight in Shining Armor," was a winner though.

by Anonymousreply 361December 17, 2019 3:33 AM

R360 My mistake...you're correct.

The infamous "The Loon Returneth" that starred Helen Lawson and Jackie Gleason.

by Anonymousreply 362December 17, 2019 3:34 AM

R357 Did the aids have to sedate you yet again for your wild eyed impersonation of Merman singing Little Lamb?

by Anonymousreply 363December 17, 2019 3:50 AM

R362 Gods, the stories of Lawson before the first matinee drinking a case of Helenesque, then assailing Gleason on stage about what a smelly cock jew he was. Shivers

by Anonymousreply 364December 17, 2019 3:54 AM

The Mame replacements seem really random in comparison to the Dolly replacements. Jane Morgan wasn't even really and actress, was she?

by Anonymousreply 365December 17, 2019 5:00 AM

*an actress

by Anonymousreply 366December 17, 2019 5:00 AM

As for Mame being unrevivable, Tracie Bennett recently started in a regional UK production, which has two further tour stops early next year. I’m sure I read somewhere that it was also anticipated to have a brief London run, too.

I didn’t see it, but both Bennett and the production got decent reviews.

by Anonymousreply 367December 17, 2019 5:22 AM

Is Tracie Bennett ever going to drop her Judy routine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368December 17, 2019 5:32 AM

Tracie Bennett doesn't sound too good in that Mame commercial.

by Anonymousreply 369December 17, 2019 5:42 AM

She didn't sound too good in FOLLIES but she pulled off the number.

by Anonymousreply 370December 17, 2019 5:54 AM

Does Rose sing Little Lamb?

by Anonymousreply 371December 17, 2019 8:00 AM

I like that they are doing Mame, set in a foyer

by Anonymousreply 372December 17, 2019 8:51 AM

I saw Jane Morgan as Mame. No, she wasn't an actress, but she sang the heck out of the score.

Her only glitch was when she confronted the bigots at the end. After the line about "braces on her brains," Jane looked pained, as if she wanted the audience to know that she really doesn't think that way.

There was no Mame like Lansbury. She really had that character in her heart. A very generous performer, and it always showed, except in The Manchurian Candidate.

by Anonymousreply 373December 17, 2019 8:56 AM

R348, I believe the "major rewrite" of Finnegan's Rainbow is merely that the transformation is done by switching a white actor for a black actor rather than doing it with makeup (black face). It is both a very small, and a very big change.

by Anonymousreply 374December 17, 2019 10:17 AM

Not as big of a change as the one you made to the title.

by Anonymousreply 375December 17, 2019 10:34 AM

That Bennett teaser was painful (and MAME needs more than 10 people in the cast)

by Anonymousreply 376December 17, 2019 11:14 AM

Tracie Bennett's MAME reviewed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377December 17, 2019 12:02 PM

Such an odd choice, dragging in one of Lucille Ball's old MAME wigs for Tracie Bennett.

by Anonymousreply 378December 17, 2019 12:14 PM

Talk about casting a Vera as Mame, r376! Also, r373, Angie has that pleasing belt and she (really) danced in that show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379December 17, 2019 1:55 PM

[quote]I like that they are doing Mame, set in a foyer

Isn't it a brilliant concept? Take that, Ivan Ko Ho!

by Anonymousreply 380December 17, 2019 4:29 PM

If "Hello, Dolly!" is a big success with Imelda - and if she can make a hit of "Gypsy" there, it will be - "Mame" will likely follow next. Who'll be her Vera?

by Anonymousreply 381December 17, 2019 4:34 PM

Finian is actually a great name for a pet fish!

I love the score for "Finian's Rainbow"; the last Broadway revival, with the casting of the black actor for the bewitched Senator, actually worked without having to do a major rewrite of the show.

by Anonymousreply 382December 17, 2019 4:37 PM

Harvey Fierstein might make a good Vera, though maybe he's a bit too good-natured at heart and not as naturally bitchy as some.

by Anonymousreply 383December 17, 2019 4:40 PM

up there with the worst Broadway artwork

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384December 17, 2019 4:40 PM

Such an interesting choice, that guy doing his "Mame" review while dressed as Louise Brooks after a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 385December 17, 2019 4:45 PM

[quote]Harvey Fierstein might make a good Vera, though maybe he's a bit too good-natured at heart

These days Harvey could make three good Veras. Girlfriend is HUGE.

by Anonymousreply 386December 17, 2019 4:46 PM

Imelda Staunton is NO Mame.

by Anonymousreply 387December 17, 2019 4:47 PM

Can we all agree that the marketing of "The Inheritance" has turned out to be an epic failure? First they desperately and unsuccessfully tried to sell the show to tourists as some kind of a "valentine to New York City," and now it seems they're suddenly trying to let people know that they don't REALLY need to see both parts of the play, it's only REALLY necessary to see part one. What a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 388December 17, 2019 4:51 PM

Why would a tourist want to see a 6 hour "valentine to New York City"? Why would anyone?

by Anonymousreply 389December 17, 2019 4:57 PM

TDF is not offering any discount tix to THE INHERITANCE for after 12/22, and only for Part 1.

Do they know something we don't?

by Anonymousreply 390December 17, 2019 5:01 PM

They know that the busiest week in the New York theater is the week from Christmas to New Year. No need to discount tickets that week.

by Anonymousreply 391December 17, 2019 5:12 PM

[quote]Harvey Fierstein might make a good Vera

In a performance you can feel as though you've seen without having bothered going to the theater.

by Anonymousreply 392December 17, 2019 5:13 PM

[Quote] In a performance you can feel as though you've seen without having bothered going to the theater.

AKA LuPoneGYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 393December 17, 2019 5:15 PM

Yes, it’s most likely closing.

by Anonymousreply 394December 17, 2019 5:37 PM

Claire Foy and Matt Smith together again.

[quote]Two screen co-stars are headed to New York in a daring new play. Claire Foy and Matt Smith, known for their turns on TV's The Crown, will headline Duncan Macmillan's comedic drama Lungs next year at Brooklyn Academy of Music. The play will arrive at the Harvey Theatre on March 25, 2020 and continue for a limited run through April 19. Matthew Warchus will repeat his work as director from a recent debut run at London's Old Vic.

[quote]Macmillan's emotional rollercoaster of a play follows a couple wrestling with the planet's biggest dilemmas. The ice caps are melting, there's overpopulation and political unrest, and two people are considering bringing a baby into the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395December 17, 2019 5:42 PM

Does Matt Smith get naked in it???

by Anonymousreply 396December 17, 2019 5:53 PM

[quote]TDF is not offering any discount tix to THE INHERITANCE for after 12/22, and only for Part 1. Do they know something we don't?

It was announced that Tony Goldwyn will go into the show as of January 5, but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen and if the show -- both parts of it -- closes right before that. I'm sure the producers would have liked to keep the show open through the awards season, but it may not be financially feasible for them to do so.

by Anonymousreply 397December 17, 2019 6:40 PM

[quote]laire Foy and Matt Smith, known for their turns on TV's The Crown, will headline Duncan Macmillan's comedic drama Lungs next year at Brooklyn Academy of Music.

What's with these British coming to NY to do theater in Brooklyn. NO one wants to go to Brooklyn to see a show.

by Anonymousreply 398December 17, 2019 7:08 PM

[quote] What's with these British coming to NY to do theater in Brooklyn. NO one wants to go to Brooklyn to see a show.

It's because off-Broadway is dead! All the theaters that used to make up the nice off-Broadway circuit are gone.

by Anonymousreply 399December 17, 2019 7:52 PM

Last week's grosses for THE INHERITANCE tell you that the end is near, very near. Unfortunately. I agree that the marketing campaign has been awful, the lack of big names (Goldwyn is not a big enough name), the price, the seven hours, the lack of matinees for Part 2.... and that the NYT did not think it was the second coming.

by Anonymousreply 400December 17, 2019 8:38 PM

For r308, who asked about The Hal Prince memorial. The following was lifted from a guy who posts as EvFoDron ATC. S/he left out the clip of Ethel Shutta singing “Broadway Baby”:

"Orchestra on stage of the Majestic.

Jason Robert Brown conducted much, but not all, of the performances. Starting with an overture of songs from Prince show. It occurs to me this might have been the overture to Prince of Broadway, but I only heard that once so not sure.

Joel Grey singing a snippet of Wilkommen

Sondheim telling an anecdote about Prince's wedding day (where Sondheim was his best man)

Video clip of Prince talking about Follies and how much he related to the character of Ben and his big solo.

Michael Cerveris performed The Road You Didn't Take.

Carol Burnett, Alfred Uhry, Thomas Kail, and Brown all paid tribute to Prince with stories. Laura Linney spoke about being one of the many friends of Prince's children and how Prince shaped their lives.

Tony Yazbek started This Is Not Over Yet from Parade. The second mic was empty and you knew (hoped!) that someome [sic] special would walk out to sing Lucille...and lo and behold it was Carolee Carmello on her day off from the Hello Dolly tour! This gave me such a rush of emotion as I was lucky enough to see this original production.

Andrew Lloyd Webber told of how he and Prince started working together on both Evita and Phantom.

Someone (I think from Prince of Broadway) sang Buenos Aires.

Jay Armstrong Johnson and a woman I did not recognize sang All I Ask of You

Sierra Boggess sang Will Be Like Me?

A woman I did not recognize sang Cabaret...and boy did that bring the house down. I sometimes forget that song is a three act play. [This was Bryonha Marie Parham, who sang CABARET in PRINCE OF BROADWAY.]

Lonny Price, Ann Morrison, and Jim Walton sang Old Friends! Another very special moment as anyone can imagine.

Then there was a big group version of Our Time. There was a lot going on and I am sure I won't get it all right, but included were: the four original principals of Songs For a New World, Billy Porter, Andrea Burns, Jessica Molaskey, and Brooks Ashmanskas (I am sure ATCer's know that Hal's daughter Daisy directed this show and "discovered" JRB, which led to Parade with Hal), Norm Lewis, Howard McGillin, John Cudia, Karen Ziemba, Brandon Uranowitz, Brenda Pressley (or a woman I really wanted to be Brenda Pressley!), Scott Frankel (I think), some folks who I think are probably behind the scenes but raised their voices anyway!, a young writing pair who were working with Hal on a show when he died---sorry could not get their names, Tom Kitt, Gregg Edelman, Brian Stokes Mitchell, and more.

For the final button Joel Grey returned to sing the end of Cabaret (Wilkommen reprise). As the timpani rolled and the final cymbal crashed, they all turned upsage [sic] to salute a final photo of Prince"

There were lots of empty seats, I'm afraid. I walked right in off the street.

Stick this clip out. The 1st 3 minutes are rubbish, but the last 2 are gold. I love that Shutta kicks her invisible cat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401December 17, 2019 8:52 PM

I guess musical theatre isn't big in Japan...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402December 17, 2019 9:24 PM

A Bacharach & David jukebox musical of "My Best Friend's Wedding." At least Broadway will be spared...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403December 17, 2019 10:33 PM

R401, There won't be any empty seats at mine.

by Anonymousreply 404December 17, 2019 10:52 PM

There'll just be slings at yours, Steve.

by Anonymousreply 405December 17, 2019 10:55 PM

[quote]There won't be any empty seats at mine. —Steve Sondheim

That's because Madonna will show up to sing "Sooner or Later" and the first 25 rows will be filled with her entourage. Poor Little Bernadette Peters, chief interpreter of Sondheim, will be seated in the rear balcony.

by Anonymousreply 406December 17, 2019 10:59 PM

1) Lungs is a dreary talk fest

2)The Inheritance marketing and scheduling was so stupid. "Arty hit in London" is not gonna sell a show in 2019 on Broadway.

Arty hits that want to make money (or, at least break even) open in March/April and pray for brilliant reviews and awards love.

And, you better have at least ONE name attached that you can sell to someone.

by Anonymousreply 407December 17, 2019 11:03 PM

[quote][R401], There won't be any empty seats at mine.

—Steve Sondheim

Well, THAT would be a first for any Sondheim show.

by Anonymousreply 408December 18, 2019 12:30 AM

Couldn't find a black singer and dancer in Japan to portray Seaweed? Why would they sing the song title in English?

by Anonymousreply 409December 18, 2019 12:43 AM

Did Patti snub Hal?

by Anonymousreply 410December 18, 2019 12:59 AM

R409, that was your take-away? Not that Edna Turblad was nowhere to be seen?

by Anonymousreply 411December 18, 2019 1:39 AM

Was the woman in purple Velma or Maybelle?

by Anonymousreply 412December 18, 2019 1:43 AM

Yeah where was Patti? Whether she likes it or not he made her a Broadway star.

by Anonymousreply 413December 18, 2019 1:49 AM

Didn't LuPone recently speak out about his treatment of her during EVITA? It doesn't surprise me that she was a no show. I doubt she would have been welcome.

by Anonymousreply 414December 18, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]Did Patti snub Hal?

Well, since he almost fired me, er I mean her, from Evita doesn't it make sense?

by Anonymousreply 415December 18, 2019 2:02 AM

[quote]Did Patti snub Hal?

I was at the memorial, sitting with a friend in the audience. Just before it started, we were talking about what notables we would see on stage speaking or performing, and also about the many major stars in the audience -- Kevin Kline, John Cullum, Bernadette Peters, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Victor Garber, and so may others. I said, "Well, someone I DO NOT expect to see this afternoon is Patti LuPone" -- a reference to the fact that, in a recent interview AFTER his death, she spoke disrespectfully of Prince. And, indeed, unless I missed her, she was not present on stage or in the audience. A wise decision on her part.

by Anonymousreply 416December 18, 2019 2:03 AM

So, just to shut the Funny Girl LOON down once and for all...

Here she is girls, Here is FANNY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417December 18, 2019 2:12 AM

What did Patti say about Hal? We know he didn't grope her.

by Anonymousreply 418December 18, 2019 2:13 AM

[quote] Here she is girls, Here is FANNY

I love how in the Overture, we see pretty, svelte Sheridan. Then when the actual shows starts, we see Two Ton Tessie Sheridan.

She would have made a great Frau Kost in Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 419December 18, 2019 2:15 AM

ID this gentleman, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420December 18, 2019 2:15 AM

[quote]ID this gentleman, please.

Why? Did he close the door in your face when your Grindr profile looked nothing like your real self?

by Anonymousreply 421December 18, 2019 2:28 AM

[Quote] Why? Did he close the door in your face when your Grindr profile looked nothing like your real self?

Why would you assume a musical theatre actor even HAS Grindr?

by Anonymousreply 422December 18, 2019 2:29 AM

Listen, assholes. Patti L was not there, because she is in LA to shoot the new Ryan Murphy series until January. But feel free to make up whatever bullshit you need to make yourselves feel superior, in the know or just as doggone cool as any of the other kids in the high school drama club posting on here. And just to get in front of things - No, I'm not Patti.

by Anonymousreply 423December 18, 2019 2:43 AM

[quote]Listen, assholes. Patti L was not there, because she is in LA to shoot the new Ryan Murphy series until January.

Andrew Lloyd Webber had to come all the way from England. And he's busy with the Cats movie about to debut.

Carolee Carmello came off the Hello Dolly tour to be there.

Patti could have at least filmed a tribute to be broadcast during the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 424December 18, 2019 2:47 AM

Oh, for Christ's sake - Relax.

by Anonymousreply 425December 18, 2019 2:51 AM

Jason Robt Brown. Has there ever been a greater disconnect between sense of self-importance and actual talent?

by Anonymousreply 426December 18, 2019 4:08 AM

[quote]Jason Robt Brown. Has there ever been a greater disconnect between sense of self-importance and actual talent? —Michael John LaChiusa

It is something to ponder.

by Anonymousreply 427December 18, 2019 4:26 AM

R410, What about Liza? She's been friends with Hal and Judy Prince for decades.

by Anonymousreply 428December 18, 2019 5:45 AM

R416, How did Sondheim look? I sat near him at a performance of Company in the Berkshires two summers ago and he did not look well, plus he was dressed like a homeless person.

by Anonymousreply 429December 18, 2019 5:53 AM

The Inheritance had the 2nd lowest attendance percentage last week; only The Lightning Thief did worse. Even Tootsie is beating the pants off it.

by Anonymousreply 430December 18, 2019 6:54 AM

R420, I think that's Kyle Selig from Mean Girls.

by Anonymousreply 431December 18, 2019 7:05 AM

Thanks, r431.

by Anonymousreply 432December 18, 2019 7:13 AM

How are these show holding on to their theaters?

by Anonymousreply 433December 18, 2019 9:26 AM

The Inheritance just released a new block of tickets through early June 2020.

Is this a case of hoping "wishing will make it true"?

by Anonymousreply 434December 18, 2019 11:38 AM

I hate to admit it, but I kind of like Sheridan Smith in "Funny Girl." I mean, she is the wrong type and she's way too fat, but she is actually acting and singing the part quite well.

Who's had the guy who's playing Eddie?

by Anonymousreply 435December 18, 2019 11:39 AM

Here's a young Kyle Selig winning the Jimmy of 2010

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436December 18, 2019 11:47 AM

“The Lightning Thief” will launch another national tour following its Broadway production.

The musical, which plans to ends its Broadway run on the scheduled date of Jan. 5, 2020, will launch the national tour during the 2020-2021 season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437December 18, 2019 1:47 PM

[quote]Listen, assholes. Patti L was not there, because she is in LA to shoot the new Ryan Murphy series until January. But feel free to make up whatever bullshit you need to make yourselves feel superior, in the know or just as doggone cool as any of the other kids in the high school drama club posting on here.

Even if she honestly couldn't be there due to scheduling difficulties, the point is that she probably WOULDN'T have been there even if she were in NYC and totally free, because of what she was recently quoted as saying about how Prince allegedly mistreated her during EVITA. You don't have to be "in the know" or "cool" to have read what she said in that interview, but you are obviously neither.

by Anonymousreply 438December 18, 2019 3:03 PM

I'm still waiting for Inheritance Pt. 2 to show up on TDF. It's gotta be like a morgue in the Barrymore.

by Anonymousreply 439December 18, 2019 3:37 PM

Can someone either say what Patti said about Prince or link to the article?

by Anonymousreply 440December 18, 2019 3:52 PM

From a NYT interview:

Can you tell me what happened with Hal Prince?

Well, it was a rehearsal with the New York company of “Evita” after he had just opened the L.A. company of the show. He started the rehearsal with a bullhorn turned up to 10, saying, “The L.A. company is better than you are, and now rehearse!” Then maybe 10 minutes into it, he accused me of changing blocking. I went, “No, you changed it in previews.” An argument — this humiliation — ensued for the entire rehearsal. I ended up in a fetal position in my dressing room, crying my eyes out. Stage management came in, and I said: “Why didn’t you defend me? The changes were in the prompt book.” They were Hal Prince’s men, the stage management, and one of them said, “Oh, honey, he does that to all his leading ladies.” As if it were acceptable. That was a form of bullying, but you just go, O.K. I never understood it.There was nobody I could talk to. That was my ignorance. I should have called Equity. I should’ve walked out of rehearsal and called my agent. But I would’ve been fired, and I knew that. What Hal Prince did has never left me. It did many things besides humiliate me. It diminished my status in the company as the leading lady. He treated me like a stupid chorus girl. It was so demoralizing and defeating. He actually said, “Now, who’s going to win this argument?” I said, “You, because you’re the director.” He said: “That’s right. Now sing.” “Evita” was the thing that shot me to stardom, but when I say I didn’t like the experience, that’s one of the reasons. It was hard as hell.

by Anonymousreply 441December 18, 2019 4:06 PM

OK now would you want her at your funeral?

by Anonymousreply 442December 18, 2019 4:09 PM

I wouldn't want her in my bathroom!

by Anonymousreply 443December 18, 2019 4:22 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 444December 18, 2019 4:45 PM

Patti's not wrong in that story, and she's not wrong to tell her story. Other actors have Prince stories too.

Hal Prince was a genius director, but a prince to everyone he was not.

by Anonymousreply 445December 18, 2019 4:54 PM

Imelda is a Gooch and nobody else.

The orchestration at the end of “It’s Today” for that British production is almost identical to Ralph Burns’ terrific orchestration for the film.

by Anonymousreply 446December 18, 2019 4:56 PM

[quote]Patti's not wrong in that story, and she's not wrong to tell her story.

She's not wrong in that story IF it actually happened as she tells it, but I suspect it's greatly exaggerated, to say the least. And considering that her memoir literally consists of one account after another of how so many people cruelly mistreated her throughout her career, I think everything she says or writes needs to be taken with a grain of salt, because it's all from her own perspective of unappreciated victimhood.

by Anonymousreply 447December 18, 2019 5:09 PM

When Patti was ready to release her book she had a contest for people to title it. She would put the titles up on her Facebook and she chooses Patti Lupone, A Memoir, the most boring title anyone could ever think up and yet she even needed a stranger to come up with that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448December 18, 2019 5:25 PM

As if. It was merely a publicity tool.

by Anonymousreply 449December 18, 2019 5:33 PM

Somebody suggested as a title I'd Like To Buy a Vowel.

by Anonymousreply 450December 18, 2019 5:48 PM

That's the thing that's so telling about her book - there was simply no show she did where she didn't have conflict. It's like she thrives on it. And she is not self-aware enough to realize that maybe's she's the problem.

I thought it was hilarious that she recounts how special the original London "Les Mis" was for her, how the company all loved each other, which is why she couldn't repeat it on Broadway. Meanwhile, Rebecca Caine (original Cosette) tweets "I see Patti has started writing fiction."

by Anonymousreply 451December 18, 2019 5:58 PM

[quote]I thought it was hilarious that she recounts how special the original London "Les Mis" was for her, how the company all loved each other, which is why she couldn't repeat it on Broadway.

Meanwhile, on the other hand, she freely admits that she ducked out of rehearsals so as not to get assigned "chorus duties." And during one performance, completely missed her final entrance.

Take Patti with a HUGE raised eyebrow. It's not always the way she portrays it.

by Anonymousreply 452December 18, 2019 6:08 PM

She is an actor. She tells stories. That is what we pay her to do. She is not under oath.

by Anonymousreply 453December 18, 2019 6:37 PM

[quote]She is an actor. She tells stories. That is what we pay her to do. She is not under oath.

Telling stories on stage in a scripted show is not the same as being untruthful in a memoir. But you knew that. I hope.

[quote]That's the thing that's so telling about her book - there was simply no show she did where she didn't have conflict. It's like she thrives on it. And she is not self-aware enough to realize that maybe's she's the problem.

Exactly. I'm sure Hal Prince had his failings, and maybe sometimes was tough and unfair and even wrong in rehearsals, but I'm certainly not going to accept an account of such an incident from the eternal victim Patti LuPone. I'll go to more reliable sources, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 454December 18, 2019 6:58 PM

It seems like the only production Patti didn't have drama on was Gypsy. Probably because there was only room for one dramatic queen and Arthur Laurents already called dibs.

by Anonymousreply 455December 18, 2019 7:30 PM

For GYPSY, apparently, all of the drama was before the show started. Laurents and LuPone -- hard to choose the bitchier bitch among those two! -- hated each other for years because he had a huge grudge against her, something about her not agreeing to be in some play of his previously. Somehow they made up, so he cast her in GYPSY at City Center, and then that production moved to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 456December 18, 2019 8:06 PM

Patti:

Here’s the deal. I was raw meat having gone through that lovely experience of “Sunset Boulevard.” I come home, and I get a telephone call. I’m offered a play by Arthur Laurents: “Jolson Sings Again.” I read the play, and I didn’t like the play. It wasn’t very good. I said, “Are you bringing this to Broadway?” And I was told, “No, we’re doing it in Seattle.” I went: “I just spent a year in London. I’m not going to pack a suitcase and go to Seattle.” So I said no. Then the producer David Stone got it, and they were going to do it on Broadway. But the deal was completely unacceptable, so I turned it down. Oh! I’m missing a whole part. First, I got a call from my manager at the time saying Arthur Laurents wants you to go to his house and meet with him. I went. I knocked on the door. Arthur answered, and then out from behind him came David Saint, who would direct the play. I saw a weak chin on that one. I was like, He’s not going to direct me. Then Arthur was very convincing, and I went, Yeah, sounds great.

Then what happened? The deal was terrible, and I passed! Then I’m shooting “Heist” in Montreal, and I’m in my hotel room, and I pick up the phone, and it’s Arthur. He told me I sank his play. In my head I thought, No, actors don’t sink plays; playwrights sink plays. I did say to him that the deal was terrible. Then he hung up on me. The next thing I heard was that I was banned from his work.10 All of it. I thought: Why me? I just turned down a play. Why am I getting beat up? Why do these things happen to me?

by Anonymousreply 457December 18, 2019 8:19 PM

[quote]I was raw meat having gone through that lovely experience of “Sunset Boulevard.”

Bitch be cray-cray. When has she ever called her experience with SB "lovely"? She complained from the second she arrived.

by Anonymousreply 458December 18, 2019 8:59 PM

Umm, R458, I'm sure she meant "lovely" in a highly sarcastic way. But my point was, in her mind, she is always "the victim" -- not only in situations like that one, where she really WAS the victim.

by Anonymousreply 459December 18, 2019 9:05 PM

I kind of love her description of David Saint. I would love to see those two working together. How did David Saint get the be Laurents go-to director? (OK, other than "on his knees."

by Anonymousreply 460December 18, 2019 9:10 PM

R454, Patrick Dennis has shown us how to read an actor's memoir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461December 18, 2019 9:25 PM

R454, Patrick Dennis has shown us how to read an actor's memoir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462December 18, 2019 9:25 PM

It is surprising that LuPone and Laurents, to my knowledge, never had any major feuds during Gypsy. Sure, they had that beef that nearly stopped the show from materializing in the first place, but by all accounts, it seemed to be a pleasant rehearsal process for all involved.

by Anonymousreply 463December 18, 2019 9:37 PM

[quote]r28 I didn't find Moulin Rouge to be that great, really ... I dunno. The movie was better.

Kidman really was exquisite in that. It makes me sad when some posters bash her. She's never been less than excellent, on film.

Did anyone here see her on stage in THE BLUE ROOM?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464December 18, 2019 9:40 PM

THE BLUE ROOM? Yes. I saw Nicole and her bush and her big squiggly. I never thought I would see parts of her body that her husband had not even seen.

by Anonymousreply 465December 18, 2019 9:48 PM

I read the published script of THE BLUE ROOM....

I guess you had to be there. The script is just numbingly awful, particularly compared to other adaptations of LA RONDE.

But no, I missed Nicki's bush. "PURE THEATRICAL VIAGRA!" gushed some theatre critic at the time.

by Anonymousreply 466December 18, 2019 9:50 PM

[quote]r108 Please note that "The Look of Funny Girl" at [R104] was narrated by DL fave Arlene Francis.

It cracks me up that she uses the pronounciation "SHE-fawn" for chiffon.

No one says that!

by Anonymousreply 467December 18, 2019 9:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468December 18, 2019 9:56 PM

Saint is the literary executor of Laurents' estate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469December 18, 2019 9:57 PM

[quote]The script is just numbingly awful

How is it that really bad shows become successful enough to play Broadway? Is it because there are people with too much money and not enough brains? I understand if someone gets a star attached, it will probably get greenlit more quickly, but there are some shows that even the most brilliant actors can't save.

by Anonymousreply 470December 18, 2019 9:57 PM

R466, the production was deadly dull. Kidman's beaver shot was a surprise. Iain Glen's naked cartwheel was estimable. But none of it was interesting or exciting. Charles Spencer of London's Telegraph coined the phrase "Pure theatrical viagra!" in his review of the Donmar production. Mr. Spencer must be a very dirty, very desperate man.

There was, however, a very, very large flat screen plasma television suspended over the stage in a few of the scenes. This at a time when we didn't often see them. EVERYONE was interested in that.

by Anonymousreply 471December 18, 2019 10:01 PM

[quote]r127 Odets made the family Italian in Golden Boy. But look at the cast when The Group Theater presented it.

[italic]FRANCES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472December 18, 2019 10:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473December 18, 2019 10:10 PM

Even in his dotage, Laurents could score someone better looking than Saint. Come on now.

by Anonymousreply 474December 18, 2019 10:11 PM

And I see a weak chin on him as well!

by Anonymousreply 475December 18, 2019 10:26 PM

I was watching Footlight Parade and afterwards looked on Youtube for Shanghai Lil. For some reason I came across this. It's funny, having just watched the original and how closely they follow it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476December 18, 2019 10:31 PM

Laurents and LuPone likely had a common enemy - the 2003 production.

by Anonymousreply 477December 18, 2019 10:32 PM

[quote]r240 Did Streisand go to see the show right after she left to see Hines and wish her great success? Babs talks about how kindness to others is so important.

I'm sure she did! She was so very kind to her understudy Lanie Kazan, when she went on, too!

by Anonymousreply 478December 18, 2019 10:39 PM

[quote]Saint is the literary executor of Laurents' estate.

He's the one who was holding "Do I Hear a Waltz?" hostage.

Encores! wanted to do it right after Laurents died, but Saint wouldn't approve unless he was hired as the director.

I have heard that Sondheim, who really wanted it done, finally pulled the "I'd old and could die anytime and I want to see this" card with Saint, and he finally relented.

by Anonymousreply 479December 18, 2019 10:41 PM

What kind of income would Saint have from Laurents' estate?

by Anonymousreply 480December 18, 2019 10:45 PM

[quote]R226 Have Jake G play Nicky. Box office success!

[quote]R227 Jake wouldn't do it. Ricky Martin would.

Buck never would have done FUNNY GIRL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481December 18, 2019 10:47 PM

Shanghai Lil was also clearly a fan of The Avengers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482December 18, 2019 10:50 PM

Are we supposed to know who Lily Savage is?

by Anonymousreply 483December 18, 2019 10:55 PM

I don't think there'll be a test if that's what you're worried about.

by Anonymousreply 484December 18, 2019 11:02 PM

[quote]r344 FINIAN'S RAINBOW "political incorrectness" is its very point. One of the most original and innovative of book musicals.

It has probably my favorite musical score.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485December 18, 2019 11:05 PM

[quote]It is surprising that LuPone and Laurents, to my knowledge, never had any major feuds during Gypsy. Sure, they had that beef that nearly stopped the show from materializing in the first place, but by all accounts, it seemed to be a pleasant rehearsal process for all involved.

I know what you mean, but I've always assumed they just "got it all out" before they agreed to work together on the show, and realized that if they didn't smooth it over, the rehearsal process would be hell.

by Anonymousreply 486December 19, 2019 1:25 AM

P.S. Years before #metoo was a "thing," I heard one of the worst showbiz sexual harassment stories I've ever heard from a male actor friend of mine, and the perp in the story was.....someone who is mentioned in several of the recent posts above.. And then there was a period when every musical said person directed at the theater where he's artistic director had the same hottish young guy in all of the male leads, regardless of whether he fit the roles or not, so that fact gave further credence to my friend's story. I've kind of expected that, by now, the jig would be up for this fellow, but I think he's such relatively small potatoes that no one cares, they'd rather go after much bigger targets.

by Anonymousreply 487December 19, 2019 1:57 AM

Jeremy Jordan on Arthur Laurents . . .

PC: What was the last interaction you had with him?

JJ: I remember the last time that I spoke to him was during my last few shows at WEST SIDE before I went to do BONNIE & CLYDE out-of-town and he was giving a notes session and I knew he was going to be there that night and it was going to be the last show he saw of me, so I gave it everything I had - I put as much heart and soul into it as I possibly could and I just felt great about it - and after the show he said to me, "That was the worst performance that you have ever given. You've already left the show. You've checked out early."

PC: How devastating.

JJ: Yeah, it hurt. I was pretty devastated. So, I ended up talking back to him, though - nobody ever did that!

PC: Uh oh. What happened?

JJ: Well, I kind of stood up for myself and said, "Actually, I think I did a really great job and everybody else does, too. I was really trying to perform my absolute best for you because I knew you were going to be here tonight and I really don't appreciate being ripped apart like this on my last performance," and, so, then, he said, "Oh, please - you're just trying to assert your masculinity," and stuff like that, and I just said, "No. You're just being an as*hole."

PC: If the shoe fits...

JJ: Yeah, everybody around during this was just like, [Slow.] "What is happening?!" And I ended up going up to him afterwards and I apologized and we ended things on, hopefully, a little bit more of a positive note.

PC: He probably respected you more after the incident.

JJ: Maybe! I don't think he was really expecting it - especially then when I was almost done with the show anyway. I think he was a little too old to have any respect for me after talking to him like that, honestly, but I could be wrong. [Laughs.]

PC: Wow. What a vivid memory.

JJ: Yeah, I don't think I have ever talked about that before. And, also, another memory I have of him, actually, is when we were walking together and we had had dinner with a few other people and he told me that he was going to put in his newest book that I was the best Tony he had ever seen onstage and he actually really said something like that to me that night and I was so honored and enamored by that - I imagine by the end of the run his opinion of me probably changed, though. [Laughs.]

PC: What was your first audition like? Do you remember it?

JJ: Well, for my first audition they gave me "Maria" to sing but when I got in the rehearsal room he said to me, "Do you know 'Something's Coming'?" and I said, "I kinda know it - I've never really sung it for anybody before and I don't really know the words perfectly, though." And, so, the accompanist had the score there and so I looked over the music for a few minutes and then I sang through it for him.

PC: How did it go?

JJ: He was crying at the end of it, actually - and he hired me on the spot. He said, "That was perfect," basically. It was pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 488December 19, 2019 1:57 AM

I saw Faggot Little Pill. How can we stop humorless Diane Paulus from ever working again?

by Anonymousreply 489December 19, 2019 5:41 AM

Have we discussed Jordan Roth at the Cats premiere?

'Grizabella, but make it genderfluid and slightly fetish.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490December 19, 2019 9:59 AM

R487, Oh for christ's sake, just say David Saint. He is a perv. There was a gay mafia that included set designer James Noone, that all went to the same sex club. I forget who else was part of the group, but it was a very tight, closed group.

Though I have to say it is pretty standard practice for an Artistic Director of a regional theater to have a "favorite" who gets a role in every play. Isn't that Claybourne Elder's story?

by Anonymousreply 491December 19, 2019 10:22 AM

Well, but at least Claybourne Elder married his fuck daddy. Plus, he's actually talented.

by Anonymousreply 492December 19, 2019 11:50 AM

Jordan and Richie make the perfect couple.

by Anonymousreply 493December 19, 2019 3:02 PM

Where is it written that Sondheim really wanted WALTZ to be produced? He rarely if ever has a nice word to say about that show,

by Anonymousreply 494December 19, 2019 3:21 PM

R494, Collaborating with Richard Rodgers is not one of Sondheim's fondest memories.

by Anonymousreply 495December 19, 2019 3:48 PM

According to the new Stritch biography, Rodgers was a major alcoholic, tried to hide it, and that made him a miserable son of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 496December 19, 2019 4:02 PM

R496, A rabid womanizer, as well. Every ingenue on Broadway knew to never find herself in a room alone with him.

by Anonymousreply 497December 19, 2019 4:06 PM

Jeremy Jordan was in the last revival of WSS???

by Anonymousreply 498December 19, 2019 4:17 PM

R498, A Tony replacement.

by Anonymousreply 499December 19, 2019 5:41 PM

R498,

Jeremy Jordan

On Wednesday evening and Sunday matinee performances

Tony

Riff's Friend

Dec 16, 2009 - Oct 10, 2010

by Anonymousreply 500December 19, 2019 5:49 PM

With a little Light Egyptian, Elaine Stritch could have made a feisty, kickass Bernardo.

by Anonymousreply 501December 19, 2019 7:49 PM

This thread needs a bit of energy. Put on your capris and flats!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502December 19, 2019 7:52 PM

THE INHERITANCE Part Deux just hit TDF, bitches.

Buy a ticket, help the gay show run.

by Anonymousreply 503December 19, 2019 9:19 PM

R503 I loved THE INHERITANCE and was more than content to pay full price. But at TDF prices, it's really a bargain and worth it, even if you end up feeling more ambivalent. I may make a trip to the city to try to see it again, with the PDF availability.

by Anonymousreply 504December 19, 2019 11:08 PM

Fuck TDF, it’s on TodayTix constantly.

by Anonymousreply 505December 20, 2019 12:17 AM

[quote]According to the new Stritch biography, Rodgers was a major alcoholic, tried to hide it, and that made him a miserable son of a bitch

In other words, he was the male version of Stritch herself.

by Anonymousreply 506December 20, 2019 2:52 AM

Hopefully, Richard Rodgers didn't make a constant spectacle of himself at AA meetings (and then continue drinking).

by Anonymousreply 507December 20, 2019 4:02 AM

R496, this is not some new that the Stritch biography broke. Rodgers alcoholism has been reported to decades in countless interviews and books.

My favorite is Sondheim finding the flask, Rodgers hid in the toilet tank.

by Anonymousreply 508December 20, 2019 2:07 PM

Which leads to the question, r508. Why was Steve looking in Dick's toilet tank?

by Anonymousreply 509December 20, 2019 2:10 PM

R509-For the rent boy he misplaced?

by Anonymousreply 510December 20, 2019 2:15 PM

I'm reading the Stritch book now. Stritch was a big old dyke (and hated herself for it) but you'd never know it from this book! Totally whitewashed. According to this, she was a red blooded man lovin' old breeder. (Even though she never bred anything, didn't seem to have any sex life with her husband and the author hints that said husband might have been on the downlow.) Oh, and one of her best friends was Liz Smith.

by Anonymousreply 511December 20, 2019 2:23 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512December 20, 2019 2:30 PM

R, 511

She does have Lezzy bone facial bone structure.

by Anonymousreply 513December 20, 2019 3:00 PM

“The Inheritance” is definitely worth seeing.

I saw both parts last October and have tickets to see both again in February. (If it’s still running.)

by Anonymousreply 514December 20, 2019 3:42 PM

Juliet's Something Better Than This. But.....wait! Stick it out to the curtain call and catch Miss Bonnie Franklin slip-slidin' cross the stage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515December 20, 2019 5:07 PM

Bonnie: Aghhhh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516December 20, 2019 5:22 PM

r444=moron

by Anonymousreply 517December 20, 2019 5:50 PM

[quote] It cracks me up that she uses the pronounciation "SHE-fawn" for chiffon. No one says that!

Apparently YOU'VE never been in the legitimate theatre.

by Anonymousreply 518December 20, 2019 5:51 PM

[quote] It cracks me up that she uses the pronounciation "SHE-fawn" for chiffon. No one says that!

Apparently YOU'VE never been in the legitimate theatre.

by Anonymousreply 519December 20, 2019 5:51 PM

r502=The delicate, some would say flower-like, Miyoshi Umeki.

by Anonymousreply 520December 20, 2019 5:52 PM

Is Aaron Tveit taking home the cutest twink at the Moulin Rouge stage door each night?

by Anonymousreply 521December 20, 2019 5:53 PM

[quote]r515 Stick it out to the curtain call and catch Miss Bonnie Franklin slip-slidin' cross the stage!

Drunk again.

(And in front of her arch rival Nancy Dussault, too!)

by Anonymousreply 522December 20, 2019 11:08 PM

Notice Miss Dussault's slip-less leggy strut across the stage, r522.

by Anonymousreply 523December 20, 2019 11:13 PM

PS: that looks like an AWFUL evening @ r515

by Anonymousreply 524December 20, 2019 11:19 PM

Those Sylvia Fine shows though far from perfect, r524, were nice PBS offerings at the time.

by Anonymousreply 525December 20, 2019 11:22 PM

The first girl singing in the number is Annette Charles - - ie, Cha Cha from the movie GREASE.

by Anonymousreply 526December 20, 2019 11:26 PM

[quote]in front of her arch rival Nancy Dussault

Bonnie Franklin and Nancy Dussault were arch rivals? What was the history between them? Bonnie's Broadway career wasn't one-eighth what Nancy's was, and her "One Day at a Time" starring role didn't really bring her any more fame than Nancy got in a variety of TV gigs (including her own starring sitcom role).

by Anonymousreply 527December 21, 2019 11:02 AM

R521-No, he waits for the ugly ones. That's why he's so depressed.

by Anonymousreply 528December 21, 2019 4:26 PM

I grew up watching those MUSICAL COMEDY TONIGHT specials on PBS, and looked forward to them. But even as a tiny gayling (who had seen A CHORUS LINE and other Bway shows by that time), I was suspicious of how TV sitcom stars were presenting show tunes--in a theatre in LA. (I wasn't aware at the time that a few of them, like Bonnie, had started on Bway.) It all felt a little cheesy and tacky and inauthentic.

What was Sylvia Fine Kaye's claim to the legacy of Bway musicals? She never wrote one, or appeared in one. Wiki says she taught musical theatre at UCLA, and she wrote TV, nightclub, and movie material for Danny, her gay husband. But she had no Bway credentials at all. It could have been Candy Spelling bringing you MUSICAL COMEDY TONIGHT.

As tiny gayling me might have asked at the time, who does this uppity bitch think she is?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529December 21, 2019 6:09 PM

She did write some specialty material for her husband in Let's Face it.

But the songs Cole Porter wrote for him were better.

by Anonymousreply 530December 21, 2019 6:17 PM

I guess I'm biased. Danny Kaye and his movies.... well, his enormous popularity is mystifying to me.

Like Bob Hope, Red Skelton, and a few others of that period: contemporary audiences are often left thinking, "WTF was that all about?"

by Anonymousreply 531December 21, 2019 6:24 PM

Danny Kaye was talented, but in his movies and later, on his TV variety show, I just found him too precious for words. All those self consciously cute routines, including the patter songs that Sylvia Fine wrote for him, seem very cloying today.

by Anonymousreply 532December 21, 2019 6:34 PM

R531, You can add Milton Berle to your WTF? list.

by Anonymousreply 533December 21, 2019 6:35 PM

Mark this date down in your shiny new 2020 Filofaxes, showqueens:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534December 21, 2019 6:58 PM

Just a tiny glimpse of Danny Kate reminds me of how much I loathe his performances.

by Anonymousreply 535December 21, 2019 8:40 PM

^^ I believe "Danny Kate" was Larry Olivier's pet name for him, no?

by Anonymousreply 536December 21, 2019 8:50 PM

Yes, r536. And Danny called Larry, Peaches.

by Anonymousreply 537December 21, 2019 8:52 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538December 21, 2019 8:53 PM

Right there....Peaches and Danny Kate!

by Anonymousreply 539December 21, 2019 11:25 PM

[quote]I believe "Danny Kate" was Larry Olivier's pet name for him, no?

I thought I read somewhere that Danny called Olivier "Lally."

Maybe they had lots of pet names for each other.

by Anonymousreply 540December 22, 2019 1:25 AM

Sylvia Fine did write songs for several stage revues, but they weren’t Broadway. She was definitely an old guard grand dame of Hollywood, though, and her passion was musical theatre. Those specials only happened because of her; she’s the one who made them happen.

Quite a few of the performers had solid stage cred. Besides Nancy Dussault & Bonnie Franklin, there were Bernadette Peters, Ethel Merman, Sandy Duncan, Juliet Prowse, Kaye Ballard, Lynn Redgrave, Donna McKechnie, Eddie Albert, Beth Howland, Gregg Burge, and Christine Andreas.

I was in the audience for the taping of the one that had Oklahoma and Lady in the Dark (my high school drama teacher had some connection, and several of us kids went). Lynn Redgrave and Richard Crenna were brilliant in the long dialogue scene they did, and it was followed by the complete Circus dream sequence (including “Saga of Jenny.”) But Danny Kaye came out to “entertain” us between scenes, and he could not have been more obnoxious. Also, he really overdid the swishyness of his character in the show, and even then, it was gross. I came away really not liking him at all.

by Anonymousreply 541December 22, 2019 1:43 AM

I could tell ya some stories, r541.

by Anonymousreply 542December 22, 2019 1:57 AM

Mine are more harrowing, Maddy at r542.

At least he wasn’t trying to get into your pants while he was mistreating you.

by Anonymousreply 543December 22, 2019 4:04 AM

Per Willison .....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544December 22, 2019 2:18 PM

THE INHERITANCE is offering its own heavily discounted seats for 12/20-1/5. These prices are even better than TDF.

I cannot see how they're possibly going to keep this going until June.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545December 22, 2019 2:32 PM

And from the man who brought you WOKE-LAHOMA....

Get ready for MOST HAPPY NON-BINARY NOT TRADITIONALLY GENDERED QUEER PERSON!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546December 22, 2019 2:43 PM

Oh....my feet.

by Anonymousreply 547December 22, 2019 2:51 PM

I just saw LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA at the Lyric in Chicago with Fleming. I loved the musical at LC but this is a pedestrian, high-school production. La Fleming doing that chest voice that goes into head voice all of a sudden. If you thought she was bad in Carrousel, go to the Lyric. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 548December 22, 2019 4:45 PM

Jim Newman shows once again why he's the best fuck on Broadway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549December 22, 2019 5:44 PM

Well, that was.....self-indulgent.

by Anonymousreply 550December 22, 2019 6:04 PM

A friend of mine just saw a production of Gypsy in Manchester. Rose is being played by Ria Jones, who understudied all the Normas in Sunset Blvd in the West End and briefly replaced Glenn Close in the ENO production. He said she’s great. It’s got black performers in it (including the children) and he said a few of the audience members weren’t terribly approving of that going by comments he overheard during the interval.

by Anonymousreply 551December 22, 2019 8:54 PM

An amusing review of the Gypsy production which doesn’t discuss the production at all but goes in depth into the story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552December 22, 2019 9:18 PM

Surely he doesn't make a living with that voice, does he?

by Anonymousreply 553December 22, 2019 10:54 PM

Is Jim Newman on Bway now? Will he fuck me?

by Anonymousreply 554December 22, 2019 11:45 PM

Hot Santas should remain seen and not heard, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 555December 23, 2019 2:19 AM

Jim Newman twerks . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556December 23, 2019 6:01 AM

Who IS Jim Newman? Are we supposed to know who he is?

by Anonymousreply 557December 23, 2019 8:06 AM

^ He seems to be like a whore, but fatter.

by Anonymousreply 558December 23, 2019 9:30 AM

Be a Santa...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559December 23, 2019 1:22 PM

Looking at last week's grosses....

THE INHERITANCE is down in sales, after being up the week before last. It can't be a Season's Greeting to know that you are being outsold by SLAVA'S SNOW SHOW. And except for THE LIGHTNING THIEF, by everything else on Bway.

If only they'd gone with a hawter cast.

by Anonymousreply 560December 23, 2019 3:55 PM

Jim Newman’s tats are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 561December 23, 2019 4:14 PM

Most tats are stupid, IMHO. When men over 50 get them for the first time, it's kind of tragic.

by Anonymousreply 562December 23, 2019 4:19 PM

For absolutely no reason...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563December 23, 2019 4:34 PM

This thread needs a little.... something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564December 23, 2019 8:08 PM

I hear that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565December 23, 2019 8:10 PM

Bitch.... please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566December 23, 2019 8:11 PM

Christmas.... for RENT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567December 23, 2019 8:17 PM

For absolutely no reason....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568December 24, 2019 12:17 PM

WSS opening delayed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569December 24, 2019 1:12 PM

I am confused by so much about WSS. When this thread started, De Keersmaeker was OUT as choreographer, along with her work, and Serge Trujillo was called in, allegedly to restage the Robbins choreography. Now the latest press materials are saying its her work and no one else's.

It's kind of a big deal, WSS. Whose dances will we be seeing when it opens in February?

by Anonymousreply 570December 24, 2019 3:14 PM

This "West Side Story" revival is turning into a version of the film "Cats." I am almost certain it is not THAT bad.

by Anonymousreply 571December 24, 2019 4:15 PM

[quote] Whose dances will we be seeing when it opens in February?

Gower Champion's

by Anonymousreply 572December 24, 2019 6:12 PM

Is Tony still Polish? If so, why is Powell half-black and his understudy black? " Woke" casting?

by Anonymousreply 573December 24, 2019 6:29 PM

Black Poles are almost as rare as Norwegian Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 574December 24, 2019 7:03 PM

The 11 minutes that ruined Hollywood producer Allan Carr's career forever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575December 24, 2019 8:17 PM

Yes, that’s been posted here many times, r575. It’s nauseating.

Thanks for the lump of putrid coal in our stocking.

by Anonymousreply 576December 24, 2019 8:32 PM

The Polish Tony sings. Jordan Dobson - understudy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577December 24, 2019 8:45 PM

Ever so sorry, r576. Here's something more in your holiday spirit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578December 24, 2019 9:20 PM

I just changed channels and this was on at the point they started dancing. Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579December 24, 2019 9:32 PM

R575, that Oscars performance was stupid but hardly as terrible as everyone makes it out to be

by Anonymousreply 580December 25, 2019 12:39 AM

Isn’t Jim Newman the guy who plays the daddy in the Daddy Hunt YouTube series?

by Anonymousreply 581December 25, 2019 12:40 AM

We need....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582December 25, 2019 1:12 AM

I bet Jane really torched her way through If He Walked Into My Life.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583December 25, 2019 1:19 AM

She's still alive, R582. It's weird (and so not-60s-Broadway) how she waahs and scoops up to notes and sings behind the beat, like a warped record.

by Anonymousreply 584December 25, 2019 1:36 AM

R578, thanks for the gift of FA!

by Anonymousreply 585December 25, 2019 5:55 AM

The latest Bway WTF:

[quote]Tony winner Paulo Szot will join the Broadway production of Chicago beginning January 6, 2020, at the Ambassador Theatre.

The opera star will step into the role of Billy Flynn for a four-week run through January 31. He begins his engagement the same day singer and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’ Erika Jayne starts performances as Roxie Hart. Szot will later return to the company for a nine-week run March 16–May 19.

Szot made his Broadway debut as Emile de Becque in Lincoln Center Theater’s South Pacific in 2008, winning Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle, and Theatre World Awards for his performance. He has performed at the Metropolitan Opera, Scala di Milano, Paris Opera, Teatro Real (Madrid), London's Barbican, and more.

Paolo, baby.... what happened to you? Did you lose a bet? What a waste of an epic talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586December 26, 2019 8:35 PM

Ooh, hottie Paolo back on Broadway! Those "Chicago" chorus boys are pre-lubing already!

by Anonymousreply 587December 26, 2019 8:37 PM

Was it really 11 years ago?

SOUTH PACIFIC at LCT remains one of my fondest theatregoing experiences ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588December 26, 2019 8:39 PM

Dreamy!

Sigh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589December 26, 2019 8:42 PM

Wow, Jane Morgan is terrible in that "Mame" clip. She acts it like she's doing a Vegas act, not like she's in a story with a plot. Poor Helen Gallagher is doing her best as Gooch but she can't make up for the hole at the center of the song.

But the best part is Ed Sullivan's intro: "There were no more wild parties after the stock market crashed in 1959."

by Anonymousreply 590December 26, 2019 8:43 PM

1959, hee.

Okay, kids. Another thread limps to a close.

Let's finish off this fucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591December 26, 2019 8:51 PM

Yet one more screen to stage musical adaptation!

.... that no one was really clamoring for...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592December 26, 2019 8:57 PM

Oh, for the love of Pete, there's this POS, too.

I hope it's another TOOTSIE and they all lose tens of millions of dollars.

Enough already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593December 26, 2019 9:02 PM

FOLLIES Jr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594December 26, 2019 9:06 PM

When the time comes - five posts from now - here's the new one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595December 26, 2019 9:07 PM

FIRST MIDNIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 596December 26, 2019 9:10 PM

That little bitch at R594 isn't half bad.

Huh.

by Anonymousreply 597December 26, 2019 9:12 PM

wow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598December 26, 2019 9:20 PM

Is it Bajour yet?

by Anonymousreply 599December 26, 2019 9:23 PM

Fine.....I'll do it. Bajour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600December 26, 2019 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!