Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone else dislike Neil Gaiman?

I find him overblown and pretentious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2020 1:25 AM

I don’t dislike him but I do agree he’s overrated. As far as comic book writing I always preferred Alan Moore.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 12:53 AM

Alan Moore wishes he were Neil Gaiman. Moore made a career out of perverting established children's stories. Gaiman creates new worlds.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 12:55 AM

His Twitter feed annoys me.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 12:55 AM

r2, Gaiman has done his share of idea filching. Note the similarities between his 1996 TV miniseries "Neverwhere" and the 1977 miniseries "King of the Castle."

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 1:04 AM

Good Omens sucked. Horrible acting. Boring. Couldn't believe how cheesy it was.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 1:06 AM

[quote] Gaiman has done his share of idea filching

Fine. No one said he didn't. But he also created worlds.

Moore delights in making super-heroes child-rapists.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 1:06 AM

"Gaiman has done his share of idea filching."

Indeed. "Coraline" was entirely filched from a very dark little fairy tale called "The New Mother" by Lucy Clifford. I would recommend reading it; it's definitely superior to "Coraline." You can find it in a very good horror story anthology called "The Dark Descent", edited by David G. Hartwell.

As for Gaiman, well, I liked his "Sandman" comic series. But he takes himself way too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 1:12 AM

Try reading Super Folks by Robert Mayer if you are a fan of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel?"

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 1:14 AM

Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and George R. R. Martin are this century's idea of great fantasy writers, God help us.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 1:24 AM

Smell you!

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 1:26 AM

He’s a clam too.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 1:27 AM

[quote] While some speculated that his latest book explores his past in Scientology, Gaiman firmly denies being a Scientologist. In an interview with The Big Issue, Gaiman said, “I think there are about three mad people [saying that], only they keep repeating the same things. And then you get other people come in and say, ‘This isn’t actually true’ and they never reply, just go elsewhere. Bonkers people.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 1:29 AM

Overrated. Can't write female characters for shit.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 1:31 AM

[quote] Can't write female characters for shit.

You're talking about Moore?

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2019 1:32 AM

His wife, Amanda Palmer, is an insufferable, pretentious twat. Her delusions of grandeur vary from purely tragic to endlessly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2019 5:30 AM

Gaiman admitted to taking older stories and refurbishing them for modern audiences. He has been quite humble about it. He was also quite humble when people realized the dark-haired English boy wizard he created was stolen by a certain children's author to create a well known franchise.

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2019 6:45 AM

He was raised clam. So you could call him a lapsed clam.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2019 7:45 AM

I liked the "Sandman" comic book series but I wasn't impressed with "American Gods." "Good Omens" tried too hard to be Pythonic but was mostly enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 8:18 PM

I don't mind his writing, and have been a long time fan....that said, he has become pretentious with age

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 8:23 PM

He has an ego, but I like some of his stuff. The Gaiman worship is a little out of control.

He's not a clam, but he was raised as one and his first wife (and their kids) are, so I think he doesn't openly criticize the operation because he wants to have contact with his family.

There's an anti-cult subtext running in a couple of his stories--Coraline, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 9:09 PM

The word "twee" defines Neil Gaiman. I also can't stand his harpy of a wife Amanda Palmer.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 10:49 PM

He’s a good writer but has become a personality over the years. Lost respect for him when he married that hack Amanda Palmer.

HATED Good Omens. It was awful and trying too hard.

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2019 11:14 PM

Bump for Gaiman/Amanda Palmer split.

by Anonymousreply 23May 14, 2020 9:33 PM

Love Sandman.

All his other writing is shit

by Anonymousreply 24May 14, 2020 9:38 PM

I'm sure his interminable VS poem is a gas. Don't people simply make anonymous donations anymore? Would rather read computer code than his dreck. Assclown.

by Anonymousreply 25May 14, 2020 10:06 PM

I love love love Sandman comics, it's just an absolutely gorgeous series. I've only read a couple of novels from him and didn't like either of them. I actually read American Gods when it was first released and found it rather lame and boring. It's been surprising to watch the tv show, which I like a lot, since it seems to be something totally different from the novel. BTW, I wonder what was Gaiman's role in getting Bryan Fuller fired from the show? He got bumped into a proper producer after Fuller and his partner Michael Green left. I was mostly fine with the second season but there's no denying it lacked that certain Fuller touch the first one had.

The only thing I really appreciate Gaiman for is creating Sandman. I haven't liked anything else he's done but there's no denying I haven't read everything from him.

[quote]He was also quite humble when people realized the dark-haired English boy wizard he created was stolen by a certain children's author to create a well known franchise.

Oh please, even Gaiman didn't think it happened: "Back in November I was tracked down by a Scotsman journalist who had noticed the similarities between my Tim Hunter character and Harry Potter, and wanted a story. I disappointed him by explaining that, no, I certainly didn’t believe that Rowling had ripped off Books of Magic, that I doubted she’d read it and that it wouldn’t matter if she had: I wasn’t the first writer to create a young magician with potential, nor was Rowling the first to send one to school."

I'm just reading my childhood favorite, Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising sequence, published in the early 70s. One of the main characters is a young boy who finds out he's one of the Old Ones, a magical being of good fighting the evil. Harry Potter wasn't necessarily anything new but neither was Gaiman's boy magician since a quick googling tells there have been previous creations earlier than his, including Susan Cooper's Will Stanton.

BTW, I just noticed Gaiman's wife has a Patreon account where people pay her monthly to do... something. She's an indie rocker so I assume she's not necessarily a millionaire herself but it still seems a bit funny she's basically begging people to give her money when she's been married to a rather successful author for quite some time. I vaguely remember being annoyed with Gaiman when he was trying to push Palmer for something a year or two ago and I remember finding her totally annoying herself. Can't remember what it was, though, and I could be totally wrong since I really know nothing about her.

by Anonymousreply 26May 14, 2020 10:37 PM

Well, presumably Palmer will need that Patreon money now that she and Gaiman have split. He actually fled New Zealand for the UK in the middle of a pandemic just to get away from her.

by Anonymousreply 27May 14, 2020 11:30 PM

Does anyone else find “Who Killed Amanda Palmer” to be a terribly tacky title?

by Anonymousreply 28May 14, 2020 11:45 PM

R23 thank you for bumping this due to the Palmer/Gaiman split. That has been the only tasty breakup in the news of late. So much drama involved, thanks to Ms Palmer's narcissism and Gaiman's passive aggressiveness.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2020 12:03 AM

I used to like him a lot, but not really anymore. Looking forward to Sandman tough.

I lost respect for him when he married that no-talent trashpile Amanda Palmer, who stripped on a red carpet. I mean there’s attention-whoring and then there’s attention-whoring.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2020 1:16 AM

His "The Graveyard Book," a rewriting of Kipling's "Jungle Books" with supernatural beings in place of animals, is openly inspired by Kipling; it's an excellent children's book and the writing is lively.

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2020 1:38 AM

He is very twee. I never get out of one of his books ever truly satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2020 2:00 AM

Neil and Amanda published a joint letter today that starts off

[quote]This has been a hard few weeks for us. We are not getting divorced. It’s not that exciting.

Well, drat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2020 2:11 AM

Damage control, R33..

Neither of their actions have been those of a couple who are "still very much together."

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2020 6:27 AM

ie Neil Gaiman fucked a local Kiwi bro-ette

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2020 12:54 PM

I love how Neil writes dismissively about "newsfeed headlines saying I've moved to the UK...I have not" when it was Amanda who wrote exactly those words: "Neil has moved to the UK and I am heartbroken." Gaslighting 101.

They blame "the internet community" for supposedly spreading misinformation about their relationship when they were the ones writing publicly about having jet lag (of course people were going to ask Neil where he went during a lockdown that he had jet lag), being heartbroken and needing her fans more than ever for emotional support (followed by accusing those fans of prying into matters that aren't their business), going through a rough patch, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is, fuck both these guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2020 1:07 PM

I used to work at an independent book/comic shop. The best thing I can say about his books is that they sold. They sold so well, that I was able to put some of that money into our queer zine and comic section!

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2020 1:27 PM

I loved his American Gods. How's the tv series?

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2020 6:43 PM

They wouldn't have to tell us to mind our own businesses if they hadn't announced their issues with a megaphone.

Narcissists that are nothing without an audience.

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2020 6:46 PM

They are both very tiresome

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2020 6:47 PM

[quote] This has been a hard few weeks for us. We are not getting divorced. It’s not that exciting.

Because the divorce would get in the way of their endless shameless famewhoring. Can't both of those insufferable cunts go away for a while?

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2020 7:18 PM

Police warn writer Gaiman over lockdown trip from New Zealand to Scotland:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2020 6:34 PM

It's pretty bad r38. Terrible directing, bad cinematography, bad all around.

by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2020 8:14 PM

I met him back in the '90s and liked him. He was friendly and unpretentious and seemed to be a good father (his kids were with him). This was back when he was still married to wife #1, and it sounds as though he's changed a lot since those days.

by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2020 8:19 PM

He did delightful work on Doctor Who.

The straight people problems aren’t nearly as odd as the fan art on Twitter. Bits of hair, a tooth, and glitter. Throw in a hoof and we’re good.

by Anonymousreply 45May 22, 2020 3:48 AM

Can't stand him. I'm a huge, long-time sci fi and fantasy fan, and he's always been an unwelcome, oversized presence to me. Pompous overexposed jerkoff.

by Anonymousreply 46May 22, 2020 3:51 AM

I've always liked it work. I've never met him, but was in the same hotel lobby as he was, once, about 20+ years ago. It was the middle of the night and he was wearing sunglasses.

His marriage to Amanda Palmer immediately changed my view of him, or at least called his judgment into question. Like others have said upthread, she's just such an insufferable famewhore. Very off-putting. Years ago, she did a Kickstarter/GoFundMe (I forget which, *shrugs*) for her fans to pay for the recording costs for her new album; her target was $1 million! She's either insane, or just shamelessly greedy. Then she did another fan solicitation where she wanted people to sign up to volunteer (key word there) to play onstage with her in whatever city she would be in on her forthcoming tour. That sounded nice and like a fan's dream come true, but really, it was her being shamelessly greedy, because this would conveniently allow her to avoid paying union scale for professional musicians to back her (much less a % of the gate, or travel arrangements). This was all long after she had been married to Gaiman, who I'm pretty sure was (and remains) a multimillionaire. Not to mention her own prior prolific recording and touring career. She's a terrible poseur and hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2020 1:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!