Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Third Eminem thread today

Sorry, but had to start this.

How did this guy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2019 6:36 PM

Become this guy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2019 11:15 PM

It was the '90s. Crazy shit went on.

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2019 11:16 PM

He was white trash who grew up in poverty with a fucked up family life in a shitty city surrounded by shitty people.

Lots of other people grow up the same way, but they don't win multiple awards, sell over 100 million albums and end up being a celebrity worth close to a half billion dollars.

There are much more talented rappers who had a few albums then just sort of disappeared. Yet this guy is still around and people genuflect before him like he's God.

I frankly can't defend new hip hop because I prefer old school hip hop, so I never understood is popularity.

He's like a less fucked up Kid Rock who unlike Kid Rock, still has black fans.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2019 11:19 PM

Lots of BBC!

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2019 11:23 PM

He looks like Novak Djokovic at OP

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2019 11:23 PM

I know we have black posters here, so hopefully they can weigh in.

I remember the first time I saw the They Call Me (Slim Shady) video, I thought this guy was going to be a one hit wonder and disappear. Yet here he is decades later.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2019 11:23 PM

He had nothing to lose.

People wanted a Vanilla Ice with edge.

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2019 11:26 PM

he paid attention in english class?

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2019 11:29 PM

He has an ugly psychopath face. I think he exaggerated some of his childhood hardship. He was hugely popular among smarmy music critics in the 2000s. I think it was because he said all the vile things that they wanted to say but would get in trouble for. He's a simpering coward who always went harder on the easiest targets.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2019 11:30 PM

OP, that photo makes me embarrassed…

…for ALF!

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2019 11:31 PM

I thought he got real fat and had a heart attack

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2019 11:31 PM

Remind we what we hate him?

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2019 11:32 PM

Thankfully he's not as big as he once was. I got so sick of hearing him either screaming obscenities or releasing some cheesy ode to his spawn Haley. I don't give a fuck about your brat you bigot trailer park freak.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2019 11:35 PM

He shore has a purty mouth.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2019 11:37 PM

Once he started working out he became incredibly fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2019 11:41 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2019 11:47 PM

r13 I can’t go to the gym without hearing at least two of his songs. College kids still love him.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2019 11:59 PM

[quote]Infinite was a commercial failure, selling around 1,000 copies. Retrospectively, the album received mixed reviews from critics. In 1992, the rapper initially signed with FBT Productions, which has been run by brothers Jeff and Mark Bass. Eminem also held a minimum-wage job cooking and washing dishes at Gilbert's Lodge restaurant at St. Clair Shores for some time.[2] Infinite was recorded in 1995[3] and released under the Bass brothers' independent label Web Entertainment the following year.[2]

That alone should have sealed his fate as an also ran but he invented the Slim Shady character, released and EP, was picked up by Dr. Dre and became a huge star.

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 12:07 AM

I'm always fascinated by these losers who somehow mange to succeed.

Kool G. Rap, Rakim, Special Ed were all better rappers than this guy, but most young people who claim to love rap and hip hop don't even know who they are. But everyone knows this idiot.

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 12:09 AM

I guess I never knew his Missouri connection , I just thought he was pure Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 12:31 AM

Flyover genes.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 12:42 AM

R16 Thank you for taking a moment out of your glamorous life to post Ms Zeta Jones. Your agelessness continues to inspire.

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2019 12:46 AM

Any other thoughts on this.

The guy really doesn't seem to have the kind of background that screams future success.

What did he have that so many others did not?

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2019 3:14 PM

Charisma, and the hustle of it all.

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2019 3:43 PM

Remember that episode of the Brady Bunch where Greg became Johnny Bravo because he "fit the suit"? Sometimes that happens in real life. There's some talent involved, but like R3 said, other people were as talented or more talented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2019 4:00 PM

It always depressed me that he got famous. His songs were so relentlessly ugly and vulgar. It said a lot about how America was rotting from the inside. Look at us now.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2019 4:03 PM

Eminem probably rid Dre and others like Johnny Rapid. Sex really does get you pretty far in life. Nothing wrong with it. That's just how the world works. Nick Cannon did it with Mariah, so I don't know what his deal is.

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2019 4:11 PM

R25 Like who, for example?

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2019 4:19 PM

R28 see R19. Special Ed especially could put rhymes together like no one else his age or older.

And unlike Eminem, his lyrics fit the story, rather than just forcing rhymes to work even if they make no sense.

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2019 5:14 PM

I think he's fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2019 5:18 PM

Special Ed, I Got It Made:

And I make all the money from the rhymes I invent,

So it really doesn't matter, how much I spent, because, yo

I make fresh rhymes, daily

You burn me, really?

Think, just blink and I made, a million rhymes

Just imagine if you blinked, a million times

Damn I'd be paid,

I got it made

He was 18 when this song came out. He was one of the first rappers to have his lyrics run into his chorus. Eminem does that today and people think he's a genius.

Most people today have no idea who Special Ed was.

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2019 5:23 PM

^^^I mean he was 16 when his album was released.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2019 5:24 PM

R26 I wrote in another thread about his former manager/producer doing an interview and being disappointed that Eminem chose the angry, violent rap route after his first album was more about positive music.

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2019 5:28 PM

I don't keep up with rap culture, had no clue who juice Newton was, but is he still relevant in that genre? Seems like he hasn't been relevant for so long.

by Anonymousreply 34December 11, 2019 5:35 PM

Severe AIDS face these days.

by Anonymousreply 35December 11, 2019 5:41 PM

R29 OK, sure. Special Ed? Lol. Eminem is widely agreed to be one of the best rappers of all time

by Anonymousreply 36December 11, 2019 5:48 PM

A friend of mine who sold weed told me he went to a hotel in Times Sq to drop off a package and in the room was Em with his pants down surrounded by black guys.

by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2019 6:31 PM

Those stories are legion R37, but whether or not true is another thing.

The thing I've found interesting for years is the interview I mentioned in R33 and in the other thread which was once posted on the old Horsey forum. Someone posted that the club the former manager mentioned meeting Marshall in was a well known Detroit down low gay bar.

Then Ice Cube saying Dr. Dre was HIV+ and infected Eazy-E and Dre goes out of his way to find Eminem who was basically a white Eazy is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2019 6:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!