Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FUNNY LADY PT 2

Since the other one is now behind the paywall.

Did it have to be SO bad????

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2020 8:17 AM

It's a shame that YENTL was her passion project in the 80's instead of GYPSY

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2019 5:16 AM

I wish she would release a compilation of her singles. She released many songs as singles in the 60s that either never appeared on any album or did appear but in different versions. I also prefer the single version of "The Way We Were' vastly more than the album version, and the album version is the only that's been available since 1973.

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2019 6:03 AM

What's curious is that even with her avowed desire to direct, she's turned down all offers to direct movies other than her own.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2019 4:30 PM

Barbra's best selling album ever? The Christmas Album.

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2019 4:26 AM

For people who read People...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2019 4:32 AM

great photo of the two of them

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2019 4:49 AM

In a sense, she did what I think most filthy rich business people should do - that is, work only on what interests them. She could afford to take time away from movies to just enjoy decorating her houses, being a mom .... dreaming up plans to build a private shopping mall under her house some day ... WHATEVER!

If she didn't want to do the movies she turned down, then she didn't want to do them. So what? She could afford to pursue what she wanted to do with the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2019 5:27 AM

And Barbra had her music contract to make an album a year, which could be the only work other singers might do. She wanted to be known as an actress who sings but she was really a singer who occasionally acts.

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2019 5:32 AM

Funny how both Streisand and Caan have gay sons.

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2019 10:29 AM

Who are the other Hollywood celebs with gay children? Sally Field, for one.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2019 6:47 AM

It's interesting that Barbra cited Butterfly as her least favorite album, because it contains some absolutely thrilling singing. "Crying Time", "Since I Don't Have You," "Simple Man" among others.

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2019 6:29 PM

I think the best version of Way We Were is the one on the movie soundtrack. The orchestra, the arrangement, quicker tempo and Streisand's voice timbre is at it's peak.

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2019 8:00 PM

Yes, that one is beautiful and recalls the film so well. But between the single version and TWWW pop album version, I prefer the single version. I don't like the changed note at the climax of the song on the album, and I prefer the phrasing of the single version as well. She does one long phrase in one breath on the single while on the album she breaks it up into two phrases.

by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2019 1:32 AM

It's just a shame because the first five years of her film career were so promising, and then.....fizzle. She could have done so much more.

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2019 5:12 PM

I wonder why Barbra's voice got so raspy? That's never been explained. It is not a natural progression for a voice. She must have damaged it somehow.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 1:24 AM

It probably is if you don't use it all the time. Barbra said she doesn't sing at home. She also doesn't do scales or vocal exercises. She used to say she used her first acts as warm ups. So the only time she uses her voice is in the studio or when she's on stage, and not a moment before or after.

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2019 1:31 AM

She’s still better than that turncoat Andrews broad.

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2019 2:19 PM

[quote] Funny how both Streisand and Caan have gay sons.

The real truth is everyone has gay sons

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2019 3:15 PM

Actually R15 her voice was much clearer and almost none of the rasp on her last tour and CD. I think she has been vocalizing. I recall an interview where she said that if she expected to keep singing that she would have to vocalize- She said it with a sigh- recalling other older singers advising her of the same. In any case- a voice cannot last forever and into old age for almost everyone.

The last encore of her most recent tour, "Didn't Know What Time It Was" is amazing. Easy to find on You Tube.

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2019 4:47 PM

Yes, I love WALLS. She sounds great.

But these were the days when she could really sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2019 6:08 PM

Here it is-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2019 8:05 PM

My friend (a professional singer) and I used to moo/screech at each other "GAYYYYTA MOOOOOWWWWVE!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2019 11:29 PM

She was over the top in her first few albums. Ever seen the tape of her singing "When the Sun Comes Out" from Ed Sullivan? But in person- in cabarets, she sang mostly very straightforward except for a few novelty songs and her between songs patter where she deliberately put on a sort of kooky smarty pants act- it was her shtick, which of course she dropped as she became more famous and successful.

by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2019 10:27 PM

I think the first album is the clearest record we have of what her nightclub act must have been like. And she sounds so young. I love all the weird shit she did in the beginning, like "Come To The Supermarket."

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2019 11:48 PM

I love all of her 1960s stuff, too. It's brash and vital, with a lot of musical theater selections. She was electric, really throwing herself into it.

She became somewhat boring when she segued into becoming a silky smooth pop singer in the 1970s. Well, I mean, no one with her voice will ever be BORING...but she became so much more conventional. Zzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2019 2:07 AM

I wonder if anyone who was at the Lion that night is still alive? I can't wait to read her version of her beginnings in her autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2019 6:11 AM

The music industry changed dramatically in the 1970s and she felt the need to change along with it. I think she also wanted to sing more songs written by women.

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2019 11:56 AM

What a shame GYPSY will never happen. Could have been the crowning achievement of her career.

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2019 4:45 PM

R26 - my parents, who are both still alive, saw her on broadway in “Wholesale” and, like every other member of the audience, thought - “That girl is going to be a star.”

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2019 5:34 PM

My old roommate in NYC saw her on Broadway in Funny Girl and sniffed "The movie was better." I'm sure it was, but I'd still love to have seen her live.

by Anonymousreply 30December 19, 2019 6:17 AM

Omigod it's on right now.

I'm watching....

It's been a while.

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2020 8:12 AM

TCM just broadcast this a few days ago I think.

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2020 8:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!