Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Madonna's Madame X Philly show

I know it is cool to hate on her but I just walked out of her 1st Philly show and I am literally blown the fuck away.

Probably the most amazing concert experience I have ever had.

I went by myself and the people around me, while all pretty much strangers, bonded over this show. We're going out for drinks now to process what we just witnessed.

I'm not even a Like A Prayer fan (I prefer her 90s counter culture stuff) but I was singing my heart out to it.

Definite highlights were Frozen, Crazy, American Life.

I actually cried during I Rise. I know....MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2019 6:17 AM

I've got tickets for the London show in February, and I have to say, I'm fucking dreading it. The first Madonna concert I'm actually not looking forward to, and I've seen them all since Drowned World.

I think it's the worry of her not coming on until 11 and having to pay a fucking fortune just to get back to West Sussex at 3 in the morning, then work the next day.

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2019 6:16 AM

ive seen her twice and her tours are top notch. this one was too far away and expensive than previous ones. did you get a good deal on the tickets? I heard the day of or before that tickets way significantly reduced, for those close to those cities

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2019 6:16 AM

If you just walked out, that means the show ended at 2:00am - because that’s what time it is in Philadelphia right now.

That is fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2019 6:19 AM

"The concept of time is meaningless to Madame X and her aspirin," [R3]

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2019 6:26 AM

I agree OP

I've seen the show three times and it's unlike any other show out there.

Madonna has always been the Queen of Concerts, undisputed.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2019 6:35 AM

[quote]We're going out for drinks now to process what we just witnessed.

Where exactly are you going out for drinks? Philly bars close at 2am, the same time you left the concert.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2019 6:38 AM

My partner and I will meet you! He's much younger and hotter than me, OP . . . Where are you??

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2019 6:42 AM

OP = Vadge's publicist

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2019 7:58 AM

Nope, not a publicist.

Show went from roughly 11pm til 2am. At 10:30pm, a small group of musicians came out and played accoustically versions of Secret, Don't Tell Me, Who's That Girl and Like A Virgin. I suppose they were the warm up act.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2019 12:29 PM

Oh, I paid $160 for my seat in the orchestra section.

I paid around teh same for Confessions and Rebel Heart, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2019 12:30 PM

There are after hours bars in any major American city.

A good show is a good show, and it's always exhilarating. That's why fundies are always down on music and the theater. A good performer will give you a more transcendent experience than any church. Except for a well-performed Catholic high mass, of course.

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2019 1:36 PM

Philly Magazine just called the show a "Beautiful Failure"

She's getting ripped to shreds as critics dub the show a disaster. OP is a PR person.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2019 9:52 PM

Philadelphia Magazine:

"Madonna Reviewed: Her Madame X Show at the Met in Philly Is a Beautiful Failure"

Magnificent venue. Magnificent Madonna. But something just isn’t clicking.

I wasn’t sure that I was going to be able to write a review of Madonna’s Madame X show at the Met in Philly.

The 61-year-old pop icon’s Madame X Tour was scheduled to hit only eight cities in the United States, and Madonna canceled or postponed shows in four of those eight cities. Most recently, Madonna canceled all three of her Boston shows, which had been scheduled for November 30th through December 2nd. She cited medical issues.

The unusual number of cancelations hasn’t been the only issue with Madonna’s Madame X Tour.

Ticket sales haven’t exactly been stellar for a woman who has sold hundreds of millions of albums, singles and downloads in her career.

As of Friday, scores of face-value tickets for the Saturday-night show — the opening night of a four-night run at the Met, which has a capacity of just 3,500 — were still for sale. That’s not counting the scads of “verified resale” tickets available on the official ticketing site, and there are many, many tickets still for sale for Tuesday and Wednesday night before she darts off to Miami Beach for seven Madame X performances.

There’s also a strict and unusual policy against cell phones at Madonna’s shows on this tour. Oh, and your Apple Watch isn’t allowed, either. Concertgoers must lock their phones and smart watches in Yondr cases, which are opened by staff at the end of the show. And ladies, we hope you don’t have big purses, because you’ll be out of luck. Only “small clutch bags” are allowed. Bag check isn’t guaranteed.

If the cell phone policy and security issues aren’t enough to make you say ugh, the Madonna shows at the Met are all scheduled to start at 10:30 p.m.

Now, I don’t have any scientific evidence for this, but I’d say that a start time of 10:30 p.m. — including for midweek performances — for an artist whose main fan base isn’t exactly the age of the Billie Eilish set can’t help morale or ticket sales.

Originally, shows on the Madame X Tour were “scheduled” to start earlier, but Madonna has a tendency to go on late (sometimes hours late), and after the published start times were changed in some cities, a fan actually filed a class-action lawsuit against her.

I asked several likely Madonna concertgoers I know if they were planning to go to see her at the Met, and they all said no, citing some of the above concerns.

“How is my babysitter supposed to call me if my phone is locked up?” asked one.

Others took issue with the schedule.

Madonna’s ticket prices were also mentioned, but I don’t think that’s a fair critique. Sure, you could pay $1,300 for a resale up-close-and-personal seat near the stage for Madame X. But there are also some sub-$100 tickets available, and there’s not a bad seat at the Met. And if you’re a real Madonna fan, seeing her in such a small and intimate venue, when she normally plays spots like the cavernous and impersonal Wells Fargo Center, should be a must.

Well, all those naysayers who didn’t come to see Madonna at the Met on Saturday night missed out on, well, an experience.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2019 9:55 PM

(cont)

Let’s start with the good.

First of all, the venue. The Met is a truly magnificent place. The restoration is stunning, the sound pristine. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. (How often can you say that about a concert venue?) And not standing in line all night for drinks is a bonus. They’ve really got this figured out.

Madonna herself? She still has it. Her voice was solid. Even luminous at times, thanks in no small part to her team of engineers. And though it was obvious that she was being physically cautious due to recent injuries, the old gal still has moves and uses them to great effect.

She clearly subscribes to the practice of surrounding herself with excellence, because the dancers and musicians who performed with her all exuded it, from the choir to the all-female Orquestra Batukadeiras from Portugal to the many other embarrassingly talented people who took to the stage on Saturday night.

Finally, while I agree that the no-phone policy can be annoying in one sense, watching Madonna without a sea of illuminated screens and distracted fans definitely outweighs any annoyance that comes with being detached from your phone. Banning phones allowed all of us to witness the theater of Madonna in the way that she intended.

Alas, the theater of Madonna just doesn’t work as a piece of theater, and great theater is clearly what she is trying to achieve.

The main problem, I think, is Madonna.

If you look at the credits for the Madame X Tour, you’ll see that the show was created and directed by, yep, Madonna. But what the show actually needs is a real director, some discretion, and somebody who can keep things on track.

I don’t know exactly what time the show began. Curtains were supposed to go up at 10:30 p.m. At some point around 11 p.m., an announcer said that the show was delayed due to technical difficulties (a dubious claim), eliciting groans from audience members. A friend in attendance who was wearing an actual watch later told me that Madonna went on shortly after 11:30 p.m. She played until close to 2 a.m. People were pissed. Exhausted. I saw a lot of people leaving well before the show was over, including one music writer who had been taking notes earlier in the night.

The show is simply too long. And, I’m sorry, Madonna, I love you. I really do. But the late-starting thing is utter bullshit. Get over yourself.

There is too much material — some of it straight-up filler — and it is presented in such a meandering way, that any sense of flow, arc, or climax was continuously undermined, robbing the evening of impact. This is why you hire a director and yield all that control you’ve been used to for decades.

That director would probably chop the show into two sets and order it in such a way that the audience gets the message — well, in this case, messages — that you are trying to communicate. A great director could transform the show from a concert with some really cool theatrical elements into an evening of beautiful theater.

Madonna on Broadway. It can happen.

As for you, prospective audience member, if you’re sitting there wondering whether you should go see Madonna’s remaining Madame X shows at the Met in Philly — or in Miami, if you’re lucky enough to be there next week — the answer is maybe.

If you are a huge Madonna fan and have never missed a tour and have actually bought all the new albums she’s released over the years, then you must most definitely go see Madonna. Yes. A thousand times yes. It’s a flawed show, but it’s also like nothing she’s ever done before.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2019 9:55 PM

(cont)

Now, if you are the type of person who is prone to saying, Skip the sermon and just sing your frigging song, this is definitely not the show for you — particularly if you lean to the right. Madonna has a ton to say. She says it in her songs. She says it in her diatribes between songs. She takes on issues like abortion, Donald Trump, and gun control. You’ve been warned.

And if you are expecting a greatest hits show, I advise you to save your money. There’s a lot of newer material. There’s much more 21st-century Madonna than classic Madonna. In short: you will not hear “Like a Virgin,” “Material Girl,” “Borderline,” etc., etc., etc.

Speaking of saving money, here’s my last piece of advice regarding Madonna at the Met. My tickets, provided by Madonna’s tour managers, were in the center orchestra section, about eight rows back from the stage. Resellers are trying to get as much as $1,500 each for seats in this general area.

But shortly after the show began, I decided to relocate upstairs. I wandered around a bit and took in most of the performance from the mezzanine and balcony areas.

While you won’t get to fist-bump Madonna if you’re up there, as happened to a friend of mine who had tickets on the floor, it provides a much better perspective for the theatricality of the show. So you can see Madonna at the Met tonight for hundreds or thousands of dollars, or you can see Madonna at the Met for $95. Your choice. Just be sure to drink a cup of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2019 9:55 PM

Have you taken your lithium today OP?

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2019 9:56 PM

OP: Fans are ADORABLE!

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2019 10:08 PM

Her show's been panned. Her PR people know the only fans she has left are old gay men so they come on DL and make up this post to sell tickets. Kinda clever, but transparent.

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2019 10:13 PM

It is a publicist. OP has no other posts here.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2019 11:13 PM

I saw it and honestly thought it was great and I'm certainly not a "publicist," and I assure you that I have other posts on DL. The Philly Magazine review is the only negative review that I'm aware of . . . and it's not even really negative.

I'm never going to understand DL's massive hatred of this woman.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 12:05 AM

Her voice sounds amazing because it’s obviously at least partially prerecorded.

She’s never had a voice as strong as she exhibits in this tour. No way that’s her singing completely live.

If you think she doesn’t have backing vocals, check out her Eurovision performance where someone stripped out the back vocals— she sounds dreadful

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 12:22 AM

I saw her in NY. I enjoyed the show although I was pissed it stated 2 hours late.

I actually wanted to see it again just so I could try to experience without the underlying anger. No way I was going to buy another ticket though

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2019 12:23 AM

[quote] I went by myself and the people around me, while all pretty much strangers, bonded over this show. We're going out for drinks now to process what we just witnessed.

Ahaha haha 🤣 😂 Nice touch! Haha haha

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2019 12:31 AM

Christ R21, whatever.

Most people on tour today, even Celine Dion, pre-record a lot of the songs.

If you don't like Madonna then don't go see her.

I saw Madonna's Philly show and found it to be REALLY good, one of the best concerts I've seen. That's MY opinion and I understand that it's not yours. But in fact, the only concert I've enjoyed more was Kathleen Battle's and she and Madge are clearly different entities.

What macabre joy do you get out of cutting people down?

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2019 12:34 AM

Lieber Heinrich Gerhardt,

I hope you are aware, and if not, you will be soon, that DL tells us what you have posted and you have 4 posts, all of which in this thread. Before you registered a name, there were two.

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2019 1:43 AM

And based on that R25, you think I"m a shill?

What a dumbass you are.

Or maybe what a dumbass I am.

If Madge would pay me for my positive opinion of her show I'd be totally down.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2019 1:54 AM

OP here...

I still stand by it being a great show and I had a terrific time.

I knew it was going to be a wild ride as I was walking from Parking Lot D to the Met only to have a woman puke in front of me on the street.

Then inside, before the show even started, some blond in black heels was walking bow legged and trying desperately not to fall down from being so inebriated.

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2019 4:34 AM

She still can’t sell out theaters, can’t sell music, can’t sell face cream, can’t direct movies. She’s done.

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2019 1:16 PM

And yet, R28, much to your dismay, she's done all of those things successfully, to the tune of just shy of a billion dollars. Something tells me that Madonna isn't losing any sleep over your opinion of her. And as far as whether she's "done" or not . . . here you are, furiously typing away on a thread about Madonna--a sixty-one-year-old Madonna, nevertheless, whose career has spanned over thirty years. YOU may not care for her; however, the fact remains that hers is the career by which all other female pop stars are judged.

"Done" to me signifies forgotten and as you have so aptly proven on this thread, Madge is anything but forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2019 12:47 AM

OP what the fuck is wrong with you? How the hell do you even manage to use a computer let alone post on Datalounge? You are one of the rudest son of a bitches I’ve ever encountered on here in years. There’s already been a thread on this OP. As a matter of fact, you selfish asshole, there have been several threads on this, but ohhhh nooooo “I don’t have to do a search” says Mister Head Up His Ass. Well pull your fucking head out of your ass for once in your life you selfish son-of-a-bitch and have some consideration for others for a change and do a goddamn search first. Is that going to kill you? Is it? Can you just answer that question? Can you? Is it really going to kill you to do a search first? What is wrong with you? Are you that much of an idiot that you can’t use Google? Don’t even try the old “search function doesn’t work” line because every cunt on here knows how to work around that. Do a search before you post a thread next time you fucking asshole. You’ve ruined my day and I hate you.

by Anonymousreply 30December 12, 2019 1:58 AM

AIDS induced dementia is a terrible thing. As we have just witnessed.

by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2019 5:25 AM

Excellent post, r29.

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2019 7:29 AM

What time did she go on last night in Philly?

by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2019 10:12 AM

but she is forgotten, r29, except by those who are nostalgic for their youth. A pop artist must cultivate new fans and although Madonna tries and tries to do this she has not succeeded. Anyone who "likes" Madonna and her music has done so for almost 20 years now.

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2019 3:26 PM

Madame X ranks #64 on Billboard's "The 50 Best Albums of 2019."

Congratulations, Madonna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2019 3:52 PM

64 is not impressive for an artist of her stature. A new artist, yes. Madonna, it’s rather embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2019 5:28 PM

How can an album rank 64 in a Top 50?

by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2019 5:53 PM

I wonder how much she had to pay to even be included in that list

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2019 5:56 PM

Who congratulates a celebrity in a thread they will never see?

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2019 6:26 PM

Correction: Madame X is ranked #46.

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2019 8:03 PM

It’s funny that I don’t think any music critic is taking the 30 seconds to count up how many songs she performs off the new album. The answer is 14. And she performs six classics, most of which she has performed regularly in concerts. So if you love the new album, go. If not, it’s painful to see her rush through a single verse of a classic song only to do 14 full performances of songs that can’t break 5 million views on YouTube.

Also to the asshole who said she can’t sell face cream, she has sold hundreds of millions of dollars of it in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2019 8:27 PM

[quote]Most people on tour today, even Celine Dion, pre-record a lot of the songs.

You mean most pop divas. For every one of these lipsyncing fakes there are hundreds of acts performing completely live in the same city. Go see a reall performance sometime.

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2019 8:35 PM

Yeah, well, none of those acts are billionaires like Madonna, R42, so keep on gnashin' them teefs at Madonna's success.

by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2019 1:16 AM

I’ll take a multi-millionaire Tori Amos who plays and sings completely live with a different set list every night over an inauthentic, megalomaniac who only cares about staying young and current.

by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2019 1:24 AM

Madonna is not a billionaire and she has six mouths to feed.

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2019 1:43 AM

According to R43 she is

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2019 1:45 AM

Well r43 would be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 47December 13, 2019 1:49 AM

LOL well, she's closer than anyone on this dumb thread, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 48December 13, 2019 3:37 AM

I’d rather not be an awful person than be a cunt whose closer to being a billionaire

by Anonymousreply 49December 13, 2019 3:42 AM

Marlo Thomas is a billionaire. Madonna is not.

by Anonymousreply 50December 13, 2019 4:11 AM

Oprah is a billionaire and she still has a soul

by Anonymousreply 51December 13, 2019 4:13 AM

I'm sorry Little Monsters but it was truly an amazing show. Not perfect but truly AMAZING!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2019 8:14 AM

Oh fuck off, moron

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2019 10:04 AM

I can't believe Liz Rosenberg cannot let go of the past and posts stupid shit on DL in the middle of the night.

by Anonymousreply 54December 14, 2019 10:26 AM

[quote] I'm never going to understand DL's massive hatred of this woman.

Many of us don't hate her and have enjoyed her music here and there, but *we* don't understand the massive fandom of that woman.

She's phenomenal at presenting visual images, and some of her early and mid-career music was a joy to hear, but there isn't a speck of her musical output that wasn't bought and paid for.

by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2019 10:34 AM

PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER - Dan DeLuca The first words Madonna used to express herself on opening night of her four-show run at the Met Philadelphia on Saturday were written by James Baldwin. “Art is here to prove that all safety is an illusion.” Percussive sounds were tapped out as the silhouette of a woman hunched over a typewriter was shown on a video screen. “Artists are here to disturb the peace.” On her big, messy, maddening and sometimes spectacular “Madame X Tour,” Madonna casts herself as that provocateur, the brave woman who pokes her finger in society’s eye, forcing the world to look. She’s not here to play greatest hits, though a handful did appear in the aggressively intimate 2½-hour show, staged in a theater tiny by her standards. She’s also scheduled to perform on North Broad Street on Sunday,Tuesday and Wednesday. “Express Yourself” was sung a cappella by the two dozen or so musicians and dancers, plus three of the singer’s daughters. “Vogue” and the heart stopping “Frozen,” were showstoppers, the latter with clips showcasing another daughter, dancer Lourdes Lyon. Other oldies but goodies were included. In “Papa Don’t Preach,” the 61-year-old singer made a point of changing a key lyric to “I’m not keeping my baby,” and gave a speech about women’s rights being under attack. The back catalog song that fit best was “La Isla Bonita,” the 1986 hit that was the singer’s first foray into Latin pop. It was part of a “Fado Club” segment at the heart of the Madame X show. In 2017, Madonna moved to Lisbon to accommodate her son David’s passion for soccer. That led her to fado, the mournful Portuguese music whose name translates as “destiny.” The Madame X album blends fado melancholy and propulsive rhythm from Cabo Verde, the nation off the coast of northwest Africa, with familiar dance pop. On stage, the influence is more pronounced, and often effective. The backup musicians include several fado players who entertained with Madonna covers before she took the stage. (The show had a scheduled 10:30 p.m. start, and likely would have begun at 11, but was delayed an additional 25 minutes on Saturday due to technical difficulties.) Midway through, 14 women percussionists of Cabo Verde’s Orquestra Batukadeiras came down the aisles, filling the room with joyous energy. Then the singer paired with Gaspar Varela, guitarist grandson of the late fado singer Celeste Rodrigues. Madonna handled herself admirably. The set piece also included “Killers Who Are Partying,” a well-intentioned Madame X track in which the singer has the gall to present herself as a selfless heroine willing to shoulder the sufferings of oppressed people throughout the world. “I will be gay, if the gay are burned / I’ll be Africa, if Africa is shut down,” she sang. “I’ll be Islam, if Islam is hated / I’ll be Israel, if Israel is incarcerated.” Madonna: She’s all things to all people. Rendered with musical subtlety — and some lyrics sung in Portuguese — the song was not as wince-inducing as on Madame X. The impressively elaborate show is casually paced, giving the star time to riff like a stand-up comic. She expressed confusion about the popularity of cheesesteaks (“What’s up with that?”) and said she was thrilled to be in “this beautiful opera house with M’s all over the place. It looks like they built it for me. They did, didn’t they?” Madame X is not loaded with bangers. But “Medellin” picked up the pace, bringing Madonna and dancers into the crowd. And “Crave,” with an "X" patch covering her left eye, revved the room up for a finale. That one-two punch began with an ecstatic “Like a Prayer.” It was what everyone had been waiting for. The show then closed with the “I Rise,” advocating for gun control and press freedom. The screen turned the colors of the rainbow flag, and Madonna and troupe exited up the aisle, fists raised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2019 9:14 PM

R56 Ain’t nobody reading all that shit.

by Anonymousreply 57December 14, 2019 9:25 PM

She’s trying to play the piano now? I can’t!

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2019 9:27 PM

Madonna is not a billionaire. Madonna could have been a billionaire at this point in her life if she'd protected herself before her marriage to Guy Ritchie. She didn't, and Ritchie took tons of her money in the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 59December 15, 2019 1:15 AM

R59 She probably only has a few hundred million in stocks and cash but her art collection is probably worth over $100 million and the skincare line is probably worth a billion dollars. not that she owns all of it....and its not worth a billion today, but the skincare market has gone up 81% in the past six years and is a $200 billion per year industry. and madonna's product is apparently doing crazy business in Asia plus has quality store placement in the states. so she got in right as the market was taking off...others will jump in but she's well positioned to be the elder dame of skincare in the same way Elizabeth Taylor was to perfume. and the profit margins on the skincare stuff are absurd, as are the pricepoints on MNDA Skin

by Anonymousreply 60December 15, 2019 5:33 AM

You don't need to love her to love her performance. I saw her in Philly too a while back (forget which tour), and she is an amazing entertainer. She loves performing and gives 100 percent. Of course she needed money in the early 80's, but since then it's all about attention and relevancy. She likes to talk about being an artist and pushing boundaries, whatever. That was a long time ago. She's also a shameless exhibitionist and I don't think that will ever change.

by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2019 6:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!