Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay and SJW Twitter EXHAUSTED about Fairytale of New York

Every holiday some gay guy hears the song and is OUTRAGED!@

I've heard them replace the f-word with "blaggard" in the Ed Sheeran version (yawn)

Some hot takes:

Ryan Mitchell @ryanam95 · 12h I’m so exhausted with the Fairytale of New York ‘debate’. There should be no debate. The song uses an offensive slur in an offensive context and therefore should be banned, but of course never will be because the hetties love any excuse to justify their casual homophobia

Tim @SC_1287 Am I the only gay in existence who is not offended in the slightest by the Fairytale of New York? I actually think it’s a great song and don’t bat an eyelid at ‘that line.’ 🤷🏻‍♂️

RAYndeer 🦌 @raaycwh · 8h aM i ThE oNlY gAy NoT OfFeNdEd By FaIrYtAlE oF nEw YoRk?

AJ @ziraph_ · Dec 6 It’s all fun and games listening to a christmas cd on repeat at work until fairytale of new york comes on and the heterosexuals are singing slurs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 20, 2019 1:07 PM

Here's the Ed Sheeran version (SNORE)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2019 2:24 AM

Here we go again....

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2019 2:32 AM

Bitchez all be acting like the rest of us are supposed to understand and appreciate your pain/angst/hormone costs/etc.

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2019 3:10 AM

At the time, the most common usage of the word faggot in the UK were a type of meatball or a Northern expression for a lazy person. The use as a gay slur is a much more recent US import that is still extremely rare to hear.

But as ever, America = The World.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2019 3:15 AM

Ed Sheeran did the right thing and sets a good example for the straights.

OP sets a bad example for all human beings by constantly trolling Datalounge with right-wing propaganda.

I play "Fairytale of New York" for myself every Christmas season. But I wouldn't play it over the loudspeakers at the mall for the homophobic masses.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2019 3:42 AM

I wonder if “blaggard” is a mis-heard version of “blackguard”.

A blackguard is an old-fashioned term for a scoundrel. (A scoundrel is a bad person.)

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2019 3:55 AM

I thought everybody loved faggots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2019 6:36 AM

I’ve never heard of this song.

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2019 6:46 AM

No one has, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2019 6:51 AM

The song came out in 1987 at a time when gay men were under siege from the AIDS crisis, during the Reagan presidency, and is set in New York. The meaning of the word is clearly (1) abusive and (2) a term used in the USA to insult gay men. The broader context of the homophobia within it is indicated by MacGowan’s response to the track being kept out of the UK No.1 spot by the Pet Shop Boys: “we were beaten by two queens and a drum machine”. Playing the song in bars encourages people to sing along, which ‘normalises’ homophobic abuse by people under the influence of drink. Like white people using the ‘N’ word they’ve previously used in private as they beat up a black person, this song helps to dehumanise us and legitimise homophobic actions.I’d be happy never to hear it again.

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2019 7:20 AM

Thank you for context, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2019 7:25 AM

"Faggot" was (and still is in parts of England and Ireland) a word for a bundle of sticks intended to be thrown on the fire. This usage of the word is about 800 years old. When she calls him a "cheap, lousy faggot", she is saying that he is so worthless he wouldn't even burn well.

I can't believe that there is controversy over this.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2019 8:19 AM

This is why I don't approve of heterosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2019 8:22 AM

R12 Don't be so stupid. She's not calling him a bundle of sticks.

You only need to see the glee and venom with which people spit out that line to know what's really meant.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2019 8:23 AM

R5 sets a bad example for all DL by constantly trolling us with virulent anti-Semitic propaganda.

(It's fun to make things up!)

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2019 8:29 AM

The song is set at the turn of the 20 C, is it not? It’s not modern times. The slur is also a measure of how angry and unfulfilled the woman is with her life and choice of partner.

by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2019 8:36 AM

They're New York Irish I believe (both IRL at the time, and in the song).

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2019 8:39 AM

R17 Neither Shane MacGowan nor Kirsty MacColl are Irish. Both were born and raised in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2019 8:45 AM

My mistake, they are actually "English-born Irish".

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2019 9:44 AM

What exhausts me are people like OP quoting literal nobodies from social media, then gullible fools getting themselves worked up over it.

OMG ryanam95 said the song was banned! It's censorship! It's the PC Thought Police ruining our lives!

Get a grip, grandpas. Stop getting your blood pressure up over bullshit that no one really cares about. The song is available on pretty much any platform around so it's not censored, and if your local radio station won't play it -- and that's a big "if" -- you can complain to them if it matters so much to you.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2019 9:48 AM

R20 just because you don't know them, doesn't mean they're "nobodies", r20.

It just means you're unpopular and no one wants to be your friend.

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2019 9:50 AM

[quote]The use as a gay slur is a much more recent US import that is still extremely rare to hear

Ridiculous. The original use of the term "faggot" comes from an English version of the word meaning "awful woman" and that dates to the late 1500s, and the British use of the word "fag" beginning in the 1700s for public school kids who were hazed and used basically as slaves.

The British have long known the word to be an Americanism if nothing else, and its meaning, especially for two well-traveled rock stars, would have been clear. It's not like they used the word without any idea at all that it could be taken as a slur. Since MacGowan later went on to complain that "queens" kept his song from becoming number one, it's patently absurd to claim that the word didn't mean what it obviously does mean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2019 9:55 AM

Gasp!

[quote]Especially used for burning heretics (emblematic of this from 1550s), so that phrase fire and faggot was used to indicate "punishment of a heretic." Heretics who recanted were required to wear an embroidered figure of a faggot on the sleeve as an emblem and reminder of what they deserved.

by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2019 9:59 AM

Gasp 2!

[quote]"male homosexual," 1914, American English slang, probably from earlier contemptuous term for "woman" (1590s), especially an old and unpleasant one, in reference to faggot (n.1) "bundle of sticks," as something awkward that has to be carried (compare baggage "worthless woman," 1590s). It may also be reinforced by Yiddish faygele "homosexual" (n.), literally "little bird." It also may have roots in British public school slang noun fag "a junior who does certain duties for a senior" (1785), with suggestions of "catamite," from fag (v.). This also spun off a verb (see fag (v.2).

by Anonymousreply 24December 8, 2019 10:08 AM

I'm sure the SJW cunts will end up getting their way on this one.

And sadly, Kirsty MacColl, who died way too young and was the farthest thing from a homophobe, will be further forgotten as a result.

by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2019 10:21 AM

According to Twitter she was decapitated in Mexico. Something about a speedboat accident.

by Anonymousreply 26December 8, 2019 10:24 AM

Suggested alternate version

“You scumbag, you maggot, you’ve taped over “Taggart””

by Anonymousreply 27December 8, 2019 10:28 AM

R25 they've been trying for years but no one really cares enough to start a scorched Earth grassroots campaign and picket and harass and dox people that play the song, like the trans activists would if it said "tranny".

by Anonymousreply 28December 8, 2019 10:31 AM

This is an easy one, if instead of an homophobic insult it was a racist insultwill the song still get airplay?

by Anonymousreply 29December 8, 2019 10:32 AM

Idk.. but my cousins in the U.K. and Ireland used to call cigarettes, " fags"

As in, "ooh I fancy a a fag!" " Going outside to have a fag"

When I first heard this as a teen I was shocked. Same as a little kid when I kept saying fanny pack and they were shocked!

Fanny = pussy over there

( they called them bum bags)

I don't know the song. Probably has some homophobia. Fuck it.

Also I thought the pet shop boys were super gay anyway?

by Anonymousreply 30December 8, 2019 10:44 AM

Any queer person not offended by this really needs to do some soul searching. The song is CLEARLY homophobic and should be taken off all radio stations and public playlists.

I don’t believe for one second that these two didn’t know what they were writing about in 1987. Bundle of sticks? My arse!

by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2019 10:47 AM

Wow.

Only 13.3 percent think it's offensive.

I'm surprised it's that low.

by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2019 11:09 AM

R32: Stragihts are rarely offended for public displays of homophobia, and even less when it's about something they are used to

by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2019 11:19 AM

Yep, this website is now, what, 50% straight women...

I'm gay and I've been called a faggot and it hurt. I'm far from the only one sadly.

by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2019 11:32 AM

If it was the n-word we wouldn't be having this discussion. I am offended by it, when the song was written someone along the way knew the word would offend and let it be released. Fuck the Pogues up the ass.

by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2019 11:42 AM

R30 are you drunk?

by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2019 11:52 AM

This homophobic bilge was never on a Gap In-Store Playlist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2019 11:57 AM

[quote] Only 13.3 percent think it's offensive. I'm surprised it's that low.

I'm not offended. The reason they used the word was to demonstrate what a cunt the cunt singing it actually is. And what a drunk. I'd be more offended if they hadn't made her so offensive.

by Anonymousreply 38December 8, 2019 11:58 AM

So she sang “blaggard” instead of “fa—ot”. Is that what people are angry about? Or should the song be cancelled forever?

I’ve lived in New York for 30 years and I don’t believe I’ve heard this song more than once. How is that even possible?

by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2019 12:01 PM

For the March 1997 Gap In-Store Playlist, we did have to send it back and get a replacement tape because the original tape contained the uncensored version of "Don't Marry Her" by The Beautiful South," where the singer goes:

"Don't marry her, fuck me."

The edited version went:

"Don't marry her, have me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 8, 2019 12:02 PM

R38: So basically a Money for nothing situation. I think the main diference is Dire Straits took the time to explain it

by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2019 12:23 PM

[quote]This is an easy one, if instead of an homophobic insult it was a racist insultwill the song still get airplay?

All hell would break loose if they'd used the perfectly good word "niggardly."

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2019 12:29 PM

The use of the word in the original has fuck all to do with gays or referencing them. It’s a junkie couple fighting at Christmas and calling each other names.

OP deal with it

by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2019 12:33 PM

R42 followed by "niggling". Oh, the humanity!

by Anonymousreply 44December 8, 2019 12:35 PM

R43 you aren't very bright, are you?

by Anonymousreply 45December 8, 2019 12:36 PM

I'm not offended as I consider it a tongue-in-cheek use of the insult. It's not targeted at us, it was thrown out as a name-calling expletive from the lovely Kirsty MacColl to the drunk and mouthy Shane MacGowan; both of whom were clearly playing characters. I just think there are more important things to get upset about.

by Anonymousreply 46December 8, 2019 12:46 PM

R46 you have a brain and sense, so of course you know what's happening.

by Anonymousreply 47December 8, 2019 3:05 PM

"...both of whom were clearly playing characters."

Exactly, R46. It's FICTION, idiots. It's a STORY about other people, not about Shane and Kirsty. Should we start policing novels now, too? Movies? How 'bout DL fave "Valley of the Dolls"?

by Anonymousreply 48December 8, 2019 3:22 PM

The people defending this song clearly haven't read R10's comment:

[quote]The broader context of the homophobia within it is indicated by MacGowan’s response to the track being kept out of the UK No.1 spot by the Pet Shop Boys: “we were beaten by two queens and a drum machine”.

Anti-gay asshole wrote a song with an anti-gay slur.

by Anonymousreply 49December 8, 2019 3:32 PM

I grew up with that song. I don't see what the deal is, R46 explained it well.

I'm so glad that I'm not on Twitter... the idiocy! People who are too stupid to understand a song (also within the context of its time), should not be allowed to share their thoughts with an audience. (See also, "Baby, It's Cold Outside")

by Anonymousreply 50December 8, 2019 3:32 PM

Replace "f*ggot" with "n*gger" and see how much airtime that song gets.

by Anonymousreply 51December 8, 2019 3:34 PM

If cunts like r49 had their way, we wouldn't be able to call him a cunt on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 52December 8, 2019 3:35 PM

Can one even type nigger on DL without being banned?

What if you use that flimsy excuse: "That was the character!"

by Anonymousreply 53December 8, 2019 3:36 PM

R52 is an asexual gay pet who loves his hag besties!

by Anonymousreply 54December 8, 2019 3:40 PM

r12 is that kid in seventh grade who would call you a faggot and then be like "what? I'm just saying he's a Bundle Of Sticks!" with a smirk when he's called out. It seems pretty disingenuous.

I have always subscribed to the "character" interpretation though. I mean there's a definite sense that these people are both crazy assholes and that the singers don't necessarily endorse everything they say.

by Anonymousreply 55December 8, 2019 3:59 PM

R49 I'm not sure him calling the Pet Shop Boys "queens" is that homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 56December 8, 2019 4:30 PM

R48: They are playing characters for sure, but everybody knows that if that character used a racist slur intead an homophobic one the song will be banned long time ago

R56: In that case you are not very bright

by Anonymousreply 57December 8, 2019 5:44 PM

Not much different from this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 8, 2019 5:58 PM

R45 Brighter than you , you thick bollix. Stop being offended, and put your cuntish indignation to some positive use.

Here's the answer from the horse's mouth, rotten teeth and all.

The former lead singer with The Pogues felt compelled to issue a statement to Virgin Media TV last night in which he explained his use of the word “faggot” in the Christmas song Fairytale of New York after objections were raised in some quarters earlier this week.

The word was used by the character because it fitted with the way she would speak and with her character,” he said. “She is not supposed to be a nice person, or even a wholesome person. She is a woman of a certain generation at a certain time in history and she is down on her luck and desperate.”

He said the dialogue was “as accurate as I could make it but she is not intended to offend! She is just supposed to be an authentic character and not all characters in songs and stories are angels or even decent and respectable, sometimes characters in songs and stories have to be evil or nasty in order to tell the story effectively.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 8, 2019 10:32 PM

R55 IDIOT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 8, 2019 10:35 PM

We should make this song popular again:

[quote]There’s perhaps not a radio station in the world today that would play He Hit Me and It Felt Like a Kiss, a hit for The Crystals in 1962. It’s also the song that inspired Amy Winehouse to become a singer.

Gays, to the hydrofoil!

by Anonymousreply 61December 9, 2019 1:09 AM

[quote]I'm gay and I've been called a faggot and it hurt. I'm far from the only one sadly.

The rightwing trolls call us faggots every fucking day on Datalounge, usually in the "you disagreeing with me is exactly like me calling you a faggot." It's on every goddamn thread nowadays! Is it any wonder they're also on this thread saying it's not offensive?

by Anonymousreply 62December 9, 2019 9:56 AM

It's not a matter of its not being offensive. Of course it's offensive. It's supposed to be offensive. The woman in the song is offensive. I'm offended by her every time I hear the song. But that doesn't mean I want to ban the song. And my not wanting to ban the song does not make me a right wing troll. I'm not one. I'm an offended gay man, just not one named Pollyanna Prisspot, having to clean up the language in every bothersome work of art.

by Anonymousreply 63December 9, 2019 10:05 AM

No r12, it's not a homophobic song and MacGowan was not being homophobic. I guess you never bothered to listen to the lyric. As r63 points out, the man and the woman are having an argument and saying the worst things they can think of to each other.

by Anonymousreply 64December 9, 2019 10:23 AM

R49, r12 is actually talking shit. MacGowan was not a homophobe and if he called the Pet Shop Boys queens, good because they were pretending they weren't gay at the time.

by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2019 10:27 AM

You think some straight asshole can call gays all sorts of slurs and it's morally acceptable because they were closeted at the time? Christ.

by Anonymousreply 66December 9, 2019 10:34 AM

A stupid fucking ugly sounding song by some Irish drunk homophobes, which I would of never heard of had it not been for this thread. I just streamed it on Spotify. But yeah if it were the Nword it would be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2019 10:39 AM

R67 your lack of lived experience is nothing to be proud of.

by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2019 10:56 AM

R62 tbh I've seen far more gays on Twitter calling each other that word than I have right wingers. It is jarring each and every time. But that doesn't mean it should be banned from a song where it's used in context.

by Anonymousreply 69December 9, 2019 10:57 AM

R65 defends anti-gay bias by using anti-gay bias.

by Anonymousreply 70December 9, 2019 10:59 AM

R40 GAP Playlists Guy, I loved The Beautiful South. I had no clue the music was so cool in the GAP.

by Anonymousreply 71December 9, 2019 11:01 AM

R65 was a young lez in 1987 but is probably an old married frau today.

by Anonymousreply 72December 9, 2019 11:02 AM

R71 don't respond to it! It just makes it stronger.

by Anonymousreply 73December 9, 2019 11:04 AM

FFS, it’s a song about two drunks arguing. It’s written in character. MacGowan also wrote The Old Main Drag, which is a grim, gritty depiction about life as a rent boy in central London. It’s sympathetic. Phil Chevron, the guitarist of the Pogues, was openly gay ( unlike any amount of supposedly pc musicians ). He also wrote a song Under Clergy’s Clock which was specifically anti-homophobia. I doubt he would have stayed in the band if his being gay was a problem. MacGowan was an early face in the London punk scene which was very broad sexually before punk went mainstream and the meatheads moved in.

by Anonymousreply 74December 9, 2019 11:11 AM

[quote]a young lez in 1987 but is probably an old married frau today.

So true.

by Anonymousreply 75December 9, 2019 11:11 AM

Also, as far as I can recall MacGowan had the shit kicked out of him for coming on to some bloke in some pub’s toilets in London. Early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 76December 9, 2019 11:35 AM

A fried of mine has a story about Shane MacGowan. At a house party in Dublin in the 00s. He and MacGowan find themselves in the kitchen MacGowan takes out a shoebox of various narcotics. Among the pills is some viagra. My friend picks it up and jokingly asks "Who's this for?" MacGowan says "well that depends on if you wanna give or receive?" My friend thinks it's a joke but Shane is like " No seriously if you want to I'm game for whatever." My friend politely declined.

by Anonymousreply 77December 10, 2019 11:00 PM

r 59 absolutely It's exactly the kind of thing Kirsty's character would say. Anyone who doesn't get that needs a fucking slap.

Also where's the Twitter outrage for every single hiphop track of the last 20 years?

by Anonymousreply 78December 10, 2019 11:03 PM

Exhausted!

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2019 2:53 PM

"Blaggard" is quite a good substitution. It fits the vocabulary of an old Irish couple.

by Anonymousreply 80December 12, 2019 4:17 PM

[Quote] I wonder if “blaggard” is a mis-heard version of “blackguard”. A blackguard is an old-fashioned term for a scoundrel. (A scoundrel is a bad person.)

Not quite misheard, so much as an alternate pronunciation.

by Anonymousreply 81December 12, 2019 4:18 PM

Fun fact: The female part was performed in the demo by bandmate (and former Mrs. Elvis Costello) Cait O'Riordan.

by Anonymousreply 82December 12, 2019 4:24 PM

R70, it's not an anti-gay song, as so many have explained.

R72 and r75, not sure what your weird point is but today I'm a much older lez with a female partner.

by Anonymousreply 83December 13, 2019 5:47 AM

What was really offensive were Shane's teeth.

by Anonymousreply 84December 13, 2019 5:47 AM

Agreed ^

by Anonymousreply 85December 13, 2019 10:37 PM

R74 pretty much nails it. It's so hard for people to view art with any sort of complexity or nuance these days. Part of the problem is that it's become a holiday singalong. I think it's a great song, but I'd probably rather not be in a bar with a lot of morons drunkenly singing along to it. Unfortunately Philip Chevron is no longer around to offer his thoughts.

As for Ed Sheeran, he probably shouldn't be covering it. Or singing anything ever again, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 86December 13, 2019 10:59 PM

I doubt that many actual homosexuals are offended by the song. I imagine the outrage comes from "queers".

by Anonymousreply 87December 13, 2019 11:05 PM

R88 I am furious and EXHAUSTED at being ERASED by your dismissal, r87!!!!

by Anonymousreply 88December 14, 2019 12:06 AM

R74: Finally, someone gets it!

by Anonymousreply 89December 18, 2019 9:54 AM

Here's a link to a loving remembrance of Kirsty MacColl by Philip Chevron. Today's the anniversary of her death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 18, 2019 11:11 PM

The driver of that speedboat (in swimming waters, no less) can go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 91December 18, 2019 11:48 PM

Will there ever be a rainbow?

by Anonymousreply 92December 20, 2019 1:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!