Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The sad demise of KD Lang.

She was a beautiful lesbian icon. And now she's all but forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 11, 2019 8:28 PM

How is allegedly being forgotten the same as suffering a "demise"?

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2019 3:15 AM

kd lang has one of the most beautiful voices of the century. It rivals Whitney Houston's IMHO.

If the Universe said, "R2, you can have the voice of anyone you choose," I'd choose kd.

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2019 3:18 AM

Fake headline. She's still alive.

F&F

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2019 3:19 AM

She's always been very talented, but I think "beautiful" is kind of pushing it.

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2019 3:20 AM

OP does have a point. It is very strange when a career like Lang's dies. Seems like there would be plenty of adult contemporary fans to keep buying new music. Radio is lost to bad hip hop and R&B shit these days anyway. I wondered the same thing about Prince -- couldn't sell a tune when he was still alive (and, presumably, beloved), relished again when dead. Makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2019 3:23 AM

I think she chose to have less of a career,iirc ? Stunning voice,I always loved hearing her.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2019 3:26 AM

I think she has the career she wants. If she wanted to tour, she could easily book one fronting mid to large city orchestras. And she would have no trouble selling out a few nights at places like the Winery in any of their locations. She had a peak popularity, just like any other pop star.

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2019 3:26 AM

One of the best voices of our time. Better control and more beautiful intonation and timbre that Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2019 3:27 AM

She’s a painter. I watched a TV interview and she said painting (easel) was her focus now. I don’t remember if they showed a canvas.

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2019 3:40 AM

It doesn't mean she died, R3. It means her career.

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2019 3:41 AM

Ridiculous, cheap, stupid headline.

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2019 3:42 AM

She's rich as hell, she's accomplished a lot and she's really focused on her spiritual practice. Sounds like a great life to me. Plus she released a highly acclaimed collaboration with Laura Veirs and Neko Case just a couple of years ago. You have very strange ideas about success okay.

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2019 3:47 AM

For you don’t love me...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2019 3:48 AM

("OP" not "okay.")/

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2019 3:49 AM

OP is the kind of trolling cunt who brings everything down.

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2019 3:49 AM

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2019 3:52 AM

How is she that rich? She never sold THAT much

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2019 3:54 AM

I still own and love several of her albums. I especially like Drag, an album of covers where every song is about smoking. My favourites are Till the Heart Caves In and The Air That I Breathe. AMAZING performances!!! This woman will not be forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2019 4:01 AM

Couldn't she play Vegas or tour on occasion? She has a gorgeous voice, but she just seemed to stop working. It seems like a bit of her being somewhat forgotten--or at least gone from the scene--is her own doing.

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2019 4:03 AM

she hasn't "demised" and she's not forgotten....fuck off OP

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2019 4:04 AM

Yes. Fuck off and die OP.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2019 4:09 AM

KD Perry will end up just like her.

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2019 4:11 AM

Yes, OP. I think there's a grease fire with your name on it waiting for you.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2019 4:11 AM

Beautiful, R13

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2019 4:11 AM

Constant Craving is one of my favorite songs.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2019 4:13 AM

You are sadly misinformed, OP. I had the pleasure of seeing kd in concert during her 'Ingenue Redux' tour last year. I'm pretty sure the hall was sold out, and the crown could not have been more adoring. And kd's performance did not disappoint. She's a treasure!

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2019 4:15 AM

Actially the OP is quite correct. The term lesbian chic essentially came into vogue because of her. Other than her duet album with Tony Bennett, she all but vanished.

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2019 4:15 AM

My cousins best friend who is a stylist to all the morons of Missippi said that OP never got past the cow shirt.

I’ve purchased her cover of “Hallelujah” at least five times as tech demanded. It is the true sound of that song and I’m thankful for it.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2019 4:17 AM

Gives me chills every time R28 .

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2019 4:54 AM

Her rendition of "My Old Addiction" brings tears to my eyes each time I listen to it.

My old addiction Changed the wiring in my brain So that when it turns the switches Then I am not the same So like the flowers toward the Sun I will follow Stretch myself out thin Like there's a part of me that's already buried That sends me out into this land

My old addiction Is a flood upon the land This tiny lifeboat Can keep me dry But my weight is all That it can stand So when I try to lean just a little For just a splash to cool my face Ahh that trickle Turns out fickle Fills my boat up Five miles deep

My old addiction Makes me crave only what is best Like these just this morning song birds Craving upward from the nest These tiny birds outside my window Take my hand to be their mom These open mouths Would trust and swallow Anything that came along Like my old addiction Now the other side of Day As the springtime Of my life's time Turn's the other way If a swan can have a song I think I know that tune But the page is only scrawled And I am gone this afternoon But the page is only scrawled And I am gone this afternoon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2019 5:20 AM

Her voice is magnificent. Truly a unique, superb talent. I just love her.

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2019 5:39 AM

R30. Thanks for reminding me of that song, that entire album is just sublime.

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2019 5:49 AM

She's had a long, fantastic career, both as a songwriter (Ingenue and All You Can Eat are masterpieces) and interpreter (Drag, her album with Tony Bennett, and of course her stunning version of "Hallelujah").

Honestly covers albums bore me but when k.d. does them, they are worth hearing.

She's one of the best performers. I would totally love to see her in an intimate theatre.

Sorry, Madame X.

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2019 5:51 AM

I watch this all the time. Gorgeous on Blu-ray!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2019 6:12 AM

This concert DVD came out last year.

Just because gay artists aren’t on Queerty 24/7 doesn’t mean they don’t exist or aren’t popular anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2019 6:17 AM

Love her to pieces

by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2019 8:06 AM

One of the greatest singer/songwriters of all-time. Time is not ever going to change that. K.D. really doesn't have anything to prove as she already has. And she seems like an awesome person as well. A real class act in every respect.

by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2019 8:16 AM

R30 Mary!!!

by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2019 8:23 AM

She just spent the better part of the last several years performing sold out shows across Australia, U.K., U.s. and Canada. She's had no demise, she simply doesn't crave the spotlight and the need to reminds us she exists 24/7 like the social media "stars" of today.

Sadly she recently said the muse has left her and she may stop putting out music. Would be a terrible loss to the music world. One of the greatest voices of a generation.

by Anonymousreply 39December 6, 2019 8:26 AM

KD is crying from laughter in this interview with Dame Edna.

"When did you first know you were Canadian?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 6, 2019 9:01 AM

i love her, wish she would do country songs again...

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2019 10:19 AM

kd was quite attractive in her youth. Nice photos here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2019 10:32 AM

She actually made me understand the beauty of country music, R41. I have always credited her with that. I'd also like to hear her sing more of it, as well as something really surprising, like lieder or idk 😅

by Anonymousreply 43December 6, 2019 12:52 PM

Dame Edna interviewed her once. It was hilarious.

"KD, when did you first know you were......................................Canadian?".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2019 1:10 PM

I’m pretty sure I saw KD Lang in the late 80s, maybe early 90s, in concert somewhere. Wish I remembered.

by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2019 1:50 AM

My sense is that she has the career she wants.

I mean, the woman became an out superstar in the early '90s, back when TV networks were fined just for showing two men in bed together without touching.

Her voice hasn't lost a step. It could be that she just has enough money and doesn't want to deal with the bullshit. It's very Canadian, and I wish more "stars" actively decided to bow out.

by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2019 1:57 AM

Most voices start to decline in middle age, right? Maybe she doesn’t want to be almost as good as she used to be?

Looking at her pictures, why do lesbians start looking like men in late middle age; and men start looking more like women at the same age?

by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2019 2:03 AM

[quote]why do lesbians start looking like men in late middle age; and men start looking more like women at the same age

Because estrogen levels decline in women, and testosterone levels decline in men, causing an evening-out of secondary sexual characteristics.

by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2019 2:09 AM

Why do white men start looking like Laura or BarRRRH Bush?

by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2019 2:16 AM

Is it Mika Brzezinski's boyfriend/co-anchor?

by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2019 2:19 AM

No demise. She simply does not like the recording business- and has said so. Choice. Good for her- she does have a great voice- but clearly has trouble with being the chanteuse recording artist.

by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2019 2:37 AM

hard to sing when you're always busy being a cunnilingus top

by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2019 2:48 AM

I’ve seen her in concert several times, and it’s like listening to an angel sing (I know, “MARY!”).

She’s also a devout Buddhist and isn’t into collecting material possessions.

by Anonymousreply 53December 7, 2019 2:51 AM

I envy you, R53. I wish I'd had that chance.

by Anonymousreply 54December 7, 2019 2:58 AM

I don't care for her but I remember this vividly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 7, 2019 3:00 AM

My guess r47 is it happens because men are losing their testosterone and women are losing their estrogen.

by Anonymousreply 56December 7, 2019 3:03 AM

Aw, she's so adorable here, R55!

by Anonymousreply 57December 7, 2019 3:11 AM

she'll never be forgotten. She sang Hallelujah better than anyone and it's my favorite song.

by Anonymousreply 58December 7, 2019 3:13 AM

I don’t like him.

by Anonymousreply 59December 7, 2019 3:23 AM

Well whether she's chosen to have a less visible career or not (I suspect that is the case), her voice hasn't lost anything. Her "Hallelujah" at last year's Leonard Cohen tribute was better than any version of it she'd done in years past.

by Anonymousreply 60December 7, 2019 3:26 AM

She’s amazing and highly underrated.

by Anonymousreply 61December 7, 2019 4:00 AM

Anyone else a fan of the Pee Wee Herman Christmas Special with guest star KD Lang?

by Anonymousreply 62December 7, 2019 4:06 AM

The 1992 album, Ingénue, a set of adult-oriented pop songs that showed comparatively little country influence, contained her most popular song, "Constant Craving". That song brought her multi-million sales and much critical acclaim. Coming out as lesbian the same year saw several US country stations banning her music, and she faced a picket line outside the 1993 Grammy Awards ceremony where she would receive the Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

by Anonymousreply 63December 7, 2019 4:07 AM

She is (or was) allegedly dating the ex-wife of a Canadian oil tycoon too, so I'm sure they're not hurting for money.

by Anonymousreply 64December 7, 2019 4:08 AM

She became a homophobic punchline before Ellen. I remember early 90s and people saying things like “Oh she’s a KD Lang.”

by Anonymousreply 65December 7, 2019 4:09 AM

I want to viciously slap OP for being a brain dead fuckwit.

by Anonymousreply 66December 7, 2019 4:45 AM

op's premise and lack of awareness is an abomination. KD Lang sounds better than ever (heard her recently) An amazing talent. OP should bow its head in SHAME

by Anonymousreply 67December 7, 2019 5:03 AM

"She became a homophobic punchline..."

That's like saying she was ridiculed by the Klan. Who comes off looking good, R65?

by Anonymousreply 68December 7, 2019 5:15 AM

Kathryn Dawn Lang , 58

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 7, 2019 6:10 AM

Melissa Ethridge & KD Lang

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 7, 2019 7:26 AM

[quote]She’s a painter. I watched a TV interview and she said painting (easel) was her focus now.

What is with all these female Canadian singers trying to paint?!

by Anonymousreply 71December 7, 2019 3:25 PM

R71 Joni's decades-long series of self-portraits are actually pretty interesting. More than "trying" to paint. As I remember, she wanted to be a painter before she was a singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 7, 2019 3:43 PM

As mentioned upthread, KD has the life that she wants. She became a buddhist and pulled back from public life for a long time, and then took up painting. I think she has a girlfriend now and lives a pretty quiet life in Canadia. I saw her twice on her recent tour and both shows were great. I'm a pretty big fan.

by Anonymousreply 73December 7, 2019 4:08 PM

You just can't sustain a career with K as your first initial.

by Anonymousreply 74December 7, 2019 4:14 PM

[quote]OP does have a point. It is very strange when a career like Lang's dies.

Strange? She was never a big deal in the first place. There are a gazillion artists whose careers have "died" like hers. She had her audience and is content to play to it. It's not as if she were one of the tops selling artists of all time.

And as others have said, fuck that clickbait headline.

by Anonymousreply 75December 7, 2019 5:27 PM

[quote]Her voice hasn't lost a step. It could be that she just has enough money and doesn't want to deal with the bullshit. It's very Canadian, and I wish more "stars" actively decided to bow out.

Anne Murray did the same thing. She said "that's it, I'm done" and retired.

by Anonymousreply 76December 7, 2019 5:43 PM

Maybe she just left it all and disappeared? I love this song and K.D. is just too wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 7, 2019 5:59 PM

KD Lang is a treasure. Her voice, her whole aesthetic, all of it is unique and timeless. Love her.

If she thinks she has enough money and performs and records when she wants and feels no need to be in the spotlight anymore, that’s her choice. Touring for years and years on end probably drained her and if she now wants to pick and choose her projects more selectively, more power to her.

by Anonymousreply 78December 7, 2019 6:14 PM

I remember Madonna loved her because she thought K.D. looked like Sean. I guess she kind of did.

I have a great memory of a stripper boy at the Gaiety in NYC on its last days dancing to something off her "Drag" CD. That and "Kiss the Rain". God, I miss THAT time in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 79December 7, 2019 7:03 PM

I feel the reason why we may be lamenting the “demise” of kd’s career is that she is incredibly talented and that she has the voice of an angel. She wasn’t just a no-talent nobody who got lucky for a while. She’s a major talent. It’s rare when someone comes along with a voice so crystal clear, unique and beautiful. We long to hear that voice again, but it appears that kd is done at least for now. Perhaps she will emerge again, release a record or have a limited tour. She’s too good not hear from again. We hope.

by Anonymousreply 80December 7, 2019 7:06 PM

Very much agree with ^

by Anonymousreply 81December 7, 2019 7:07 PM

Amen, r80. I really do hope to hear more from her.

Love her Drag album. But why no love for "Miss Chatelaine" on this thread? That's the other breakout song from Ingénue, IMO. Samba!

by Anonymousreply 82December 7, 2019 8:40 PM

[quote]She wasn’t just a no-talent nobody who got lucky for a while.

That describes most current pop singers, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 83December 9, 2019 2:21 AM

I saw her at a smallish venue in Birmingham, Alabama about 10 years ago. It was packed, with a very diverse crowd. The acoustics were great, and she was superb! She did 3 or 4 encores.

by Anonymousreply 84December 9, 2019 2:25 AM

This thread would be incomplete without kd’s cover of “Helpless”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 9, 2019 2:29 AM

Mr. Anne Murray was the hostess when the Juno awards gave k.d. her lifetime achievement award in 2013. Leonard Cohen, Shania, Buble, Tony Bennett and wacky Jane Siberry all had kind words for Ms. lang. It's lowkey lovely. K.D. gives a sweet speech about how only in Canada could a freak like her become a star. She acknowledges what's great there. She's a good person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 9, 2019 2:38 AM

What I also love about her is that she has style - a real personal and instantly recognizable style that comes from her and expresses who she is. It's not a corporate construct and it's not meant to please the lowest common denominator. You don't see that often.

by Anonymousreply 87December 9, 2019 2:43 AM

Anne Murray in a skirt and heels! Did hell freeze over that night?

by Anonymousreply 88December 9, 2019 2:46 AM

I love "Miss Chatelaine." k.d. is in a class all her own.

by Anonymousreply 89December 9, 2019 3:21 AM

[quote]She wasn’t just a no-talent nobody who got lucky for a while.

[quote]That describes most current pop singers, unfortunately.

Unfortunately, that does not describe most current pop singers. On the other hand, it seems that the record companies are only interested in the next 20-year old sensation, and then they're onto the next no-name. The reason that the stars of yesterday lasted is because they had talent and the record companies allowed them to flourish and grow. That's why Sinatra, Streisand, Garland, Mathis, etc., lasted. The record companies didn't just dispose of them after two or three hit records.

by Anonymousreply 90December 9, 2019 3:29 AM

[quote]Unfortunately, that does not describe most current pop singers.

It does as far as the singers who get signed and get promoted. There is surely talent out there, but the record companies don't seem to be very interested. So yes, most current pop singers who are in the public eye are no-talents.

by Anonymousreply 91December 9, 2019 3:43 AM

R91. Why don't the record companies get--or stay--interested in the singers they sign especially if they go to all the trouble of making a financial commitment and signing and promoting them?

by Anonymousreply 92December 9, 2019 3:50 AM

Because they're all disposable. The next 20 year-old will be around in 2-3 years and it's all the same music now anyway. Sometimes they do get an Adele or a Sam Smith (yes I know DL hates him) but with the others they can be rotated in and out.

by Anonymousreply 93December 9, 2019 4:06 AM

yes, and it seems the trend is whispering type singing...I hate that.

by Anonymousreply 94December 9, 2019 4:58 AM

Someone posted this in an old KD Lang thread several years back; thought it was worth digging up again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 9, 2019 5:13 AM

I've seen her twice in concert both during the 1990s and really close to the stage. Two of the best concerts I've every attending. K.D.Lang is classy as hell and with talent to spare. I absolutely LOVE her and I'm a gay man. Really what a VOICE!

by Anonymousreply 96December 9, 2019 12:00 PM

Wow she is really unfortunate looking.

by Anonymousreply 97December 9, 2019 12:13 PM

She's very androgynous-cute in R95.

by Anonymousreply 98December 9, 2019 3:50 PM

She still has the gorgeous voice but I think she has struggled to find the right material for it in the last 20 years. She’s never been able to put together an album of great original songs again since Ingenue ... I think she should have gone the Bonnie Raitt route of recording albums that are mainly covers with a few originals, since she’s a great interpretive singer and only a decent songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 99December 9, 2019 4:13 PM

Great voice, bad hair. I like kd with her hair a bit longer framing her face. Not too long, but the 1950s auto mechanic look is not all that attractive. But she sings like an angel. Come back, kd, come back.

by Anonymousreply 100December 9, 2019 4:44 PM

Why are people telling her to "come back" when she's on tour?

by Anonymousreply 101December 10, 2019 6:12 PM

at the peak of her success, both Connie Chung and Barbara Walters chased her down for an interview

kd CLASHED with Connie's intrusive questions, while she loves Barbara softball questions.

by Anonymousreply 102December 10, 2019 6:16 PM

I remember that interview, I saw it on youtube many years ago and KD sang a little while playing pool? (can't remember), it was amazing...rare talent!

by Anonymousreply 103December 11, 2019 8:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!