Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pulp Fiction Rip-offs: The Good, The Bad And The Boondock Saints

We're talking style over substance, ironic violence, ironic racism, ironic homophobia, ironic sexism, surf rock, soul music, pop culture debates, interlocking stories, bantering hit men and Americana, and none of it as good as the then hot, very Miramax, very 1990s Quentin Tarantino movies - nor the movies he stole from,

You got the movies that combined Resevoir Dogs and, say, Robert Altman, like Two Days In The Valley.

You got a lot of movies that combined Tarantino and Gen-X Slacker movies.

Mostly, you got a lot of shit. I might be misremembering, but in The Size Of Watermelons with Donal Logue and Paul Rudd there may been a conversation about Doritos Vs Cheetos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 11, 2020 1:42 AM

There was so many of them. I got to see a lot of them for free in Los Angeles because in the good 'ol days people would come up to you in the malls or on the street for free screenings.

City of Industry (1997)

Truth Or Consequences N.M. (1997)

Reindeer Games (2000) Charlize again!

Lucky Number Slevin (2006)

American Strays (1996)

and one I actually liked because I was a big Fairuza Balk fan

Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead (1995)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 8:28 AM

Boondock Saints has to be, hands down, the worst fucking piece of shit movie ever made

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 10:22 AM

[quote]You got a lot of movies that combined Tarantino and Gen-X Slacker movies.

Those chatty reationship movies with an overlapping cast and maybe some comical gunplay is early Doug Liman territory. Go is not a Pulp Fiction rip off as such, but certainly a close relative.

A lot of directors who got their big breaks in the late 90s and even early 00s made these quirky talky indie crime movies before they got more personal - Paul Thomas Anderson with Hard Eight, Wes Anderson with Bottle Rocket. Those kind of movies were being greenlit like crazy at that time.

The British Pulp Fiction rip offs from Guy Ritchie and Matthew Vaughn weren't bad as such, and obvioulsy drew on the heritage of local gangster movies, but yeah... Gael Garcia Bernal went to drama school in London specifically so he could be classically trained and what was being released was Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels. Suffice to say he was disappointed,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 10:43 AM

Things To Do In Denver was fucked up. Christopher Walken wants ex-girlfriend to get together with his child molester son in order cure his pedophilia?!!!

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2019 3:32 PM

At least Boondock Saints gave us eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 3:58 PM

Speaking of eye candy, Timothy Oliphant was hot as fuck in GO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 6:55 PM

Charlize was also in 2 Days in the Valley

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 7:00 PM

"Those chatty reationship movies with an overlapping cast and maybe some comical gunplay is early Doug Liman territory."

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 7:09 PM

R7 Oops the link in the OP wasn't working and must have skimmed the text. I actually forgot Charlize was in this movie until I thought about it just now.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 7:20 PM

The only good thing about the original was the Dusty Springfield song they used in it.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 7:32 PM

What a fucking letdown 2 Days In The Valley is! The much hyped catfight between Charlize Theron and Teri Hatcher was nothing.

by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2020 7:22 PM

I liked Two Days in the Valley.

R1, Balk was the only good thing in Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead!

by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2020 7:28 PM

I always thought that Boondock Saints was Reservoir Dogs for dumb people who couldn't get the Tarantino pop culture references.

by Anonymousreply 13May 10, 2020 7:31 PM

What about that one where Val Vilmer played the gay PI? Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? With RDJ as the loser con

by Anonymousreply 14May 10, 2020 7:36 PM

Yeah, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. An avalanche of quirky profanity which is another Pulp Fiction hallmark. I liked that movie. Val Kilmer was hilarious and it's the best Michelle Monghan has ever been.

by Anonymousreply 15May 10, 2020 7:41 PM

GO was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 16May 10, 2020 7:53 PM

Any movie with a situation going horribly horribly wrong and douchebro dialogue = Any and all Kevin Smith movies.

by Anonymousreply 17May 10, 2020 8:05 PM

Smokin’ Aces anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 11, 2020 1:00 AM

I hate this jandra!

by Anonymousreply 19May 11, 2020 1:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!