Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diner People, What’s Your Go-To off the Diner Menu? For Myself, I like the Stuffed Filet of Sole

Tell us your go-to order, what it costs, and where you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2019 5:41 PM

The stuffed filet of sole is filled with delicious bread.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 5:05 AM

Oh whoops, it usually costs around $12.95 in the tri-state area (NY-NJ-CT.)

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 5:06 AM

I have been to Moody Diner in Maine. The food in Maine is only good if it is lobster or muscles and that is the truth.

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 5:15 AM

The Sherwood Diner in Westport, CT, has a sorrowful breakfast. I ordered a pretty basic breakfast and all of it was cold, the coffee tasted like tea and the potatoes were a mealy, orange joke.

I paid probably $9? People are too polite here.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2019 5:28 AM

Grilled cheese

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 5:35 AM

Waaaay back when it was first released. Diner somewhere on the west coast in California.

Pac-Man! Coffee 50 cents.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 5:35 AM

French Dip

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 5:43 AM

Thick milkshakes, OP. Big chocolate ones at $6 in Rhode Island.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 6:23 AM

Hollywood Grill, Wicker Pk Chicago... I usually order the Monte Cristo and Fries. I believe it's around $10.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 6:27 AM

I need to find a cole slaw that doesn’t suck.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 6:33 AM

California suffers from a lack of diners. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2019 6:34 AM

While a poor college student, I would offer a coffe along with my friends, then we’d hit up the waiter for a plate of pickles. The waiter hated us.

I still feel bad about it.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2019 6:37 AM

*order a coffee

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2019 6:39 AM

I would never order fish in a diner. I might have poached eggs.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2019 7:27 AM

R9

Do they have a legitimately good Monte Cristo? All the "Monte Cristos" in my area are french toast layered with meat, which just isn't the same.

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2019 7:35 AM

I loved a good chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2019 7:50 AM

I go to Bette's Place in Hood River, Oregon and they serve breakfast all day. Fried eggs, bacon, toast, and coffee - about $15.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2019 7:54 AM

R15 I like theirs... It's not too stuffed, though they make the standard with turkey and ham. I have them leave off the turkey. Some recipes call for a pound of ham, so it may have originally meant to be overkill. What's your idea of what makes for the best Monte Cristo? They serve syrup on the side, which I don't use. It's lightly soaked with egg, as I think that's as it should be... not soggy. I believe they use Texas Toast. Very lightly dusted with powdered sugar.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2019 8:22 AM

The best hamburger sandwich on the planet is the chili size at Mel's Diner, Phoenix (the real one).

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 8:49 AM

Hot Turkey Sandwich from Tallyrand, Burbank, California.

Roasted turkey with homemade dressing, homemade mashed potatoes, and gravy. $11.95

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 9:00 AM

Whoops, getting too hungry. Trying again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 9:01 AM

The incredible thickly battered onion rings at the now-defunct Cranford Diner in NJ.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2019 9:36 AM

Egg white omelette with a side of bacon and a fruit cup is my standard.

I go to one that has a semi-ironic blue plate special. I like the roast chicken dinner with sticky date pudding.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2019 9:50 AM

I love a Greek diner soooooooo much. There aren't any where I live. None. Zilch.

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 12:26 PM

The Big Salad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 12:52 PM

Any diner in New Jersey for a good, greasy breakfast. A western omelet, home fries and thick slices of buttered toast.

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2019 1:17 PM

[quote]I would never order fish in a diner. I might have poached eggs.

You mean "Adam and Eve on a Raft."

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2019 1:23 PM

In NYC I always order the diet plate: turkey burger patty with no bun, a generous scoop of plain cottage cheese, and a portion of fruit from a can, cling peaches in heavy syrup if you’re lucky.

Usually I order a chocolate egg cream to wash it all down!

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2019 1:25 PM

As mentioned above, many NJ diners are known for their greasy breakfasts, but some are a cut above the rest.

And then there's the one & only Tops Diner in East Newark.

I especially like their chicken pot pie, fried seafood platter (I think that one's over $30), Thanksgiving Every Day Plate, chicken & waffle, tres leche cake, and pumpkin cheesecake (that available only in Oct & Nov).

The place is so popular, I understand it's about to be torn down soon and replaced with a diner three times the size of what it is now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2019 1:48 PM

Yes R3 muscles are the best in Maine 🙄

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2019 1:54 PM

Tuna melt

by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2019 1:55 PM

Reuben

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2019 1:57 PM

I worked at Ruby's Diner so I'm a bit jaded and put off, since I ate diner food almost everyday, but it was all about the fries. Next would be a patty melt on grilled parmasean sourdough.

by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2019 1:58 PM

Tell us more about muscles in Maine diners R3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2019 1:58 PM

Biscuits and gravy.

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2019 2:04 PM

CFS or honey-stung fried chicken.

by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2019 2:21 PM

Ditto on the chicken-fried steak and Monte Cristo sandwich. Those are among my top ten favorite things to eat.

by Anonymousreply 37December 5, 2019 2:42 PM

The hamburger plate and coleslaw, and hope for the best. Anyway, there is always diner coffee, which I cherish.

by Anonymousreply 38December 5, 2019 2:55 PM

Challah French Toast and sausage links.

by Anonymousreply 39December 5, 2019 4:01 PM

I miss Ken's in Boston (yes I'm old!!!). But the best Monte Cristo ever...and they were open after all the bars closed.

by Anonymousreply 40December 5, 2019 4:19 PM

Not a diner, per se, but the Friendly's Thanksgiving/turkey platter is INCREDIBLY good. Fresh roasted turkey with the usual trimmings, all unbelievably delicious and available throughout the franchise (I had mine in Lancaster, PA).

by Anonymousreply 41December 5, 2019 5:34 PM

French dip for lunch or tuna melt; if dinner and it's available, pot roast. Hot turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and stuffing.

by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2019 5:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!