Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I hate people so much, but I don’t want to feel this way.

I find almost every person I interact with to be intensely annoying, stupid, and / or aggressively rude and trashy.

I realize this might be a symptom of depression.

What should I do?

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2019 8:41 PM

Nothing. Most people are like that.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 4:05 AM

Most PEOPLE suck! Just be polite and avoid the ones that do. Don't make yourself feel bad about the way you feel. A lot of others feel the same way. Do what you like in life, avoid what you can, and don't try to change into someone that you are not. Focus and spend time with people that you like. And maybe get a dog! Dogs are so much better than people!

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 4:11 AM

Would it have killed you to have at least posted a picture or link OP? Would it? I mean would that have really been so hard? Would it? Why don’t you try to think more of others next time before you post? What's your problem? I mean really, what's your damn problem?

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 4:14 AM

People are savages these days. Manners are gone, common decency no longer exists, and everyone is a selfish asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2019 4:16 AM

How long has this been going on OP? Asking this because if earlier you were quite social and outgoing and only recently you have started to feel so then it could be Seasonal affective disorder/depression/possibly nothing. While if you have always been like that - it'll just be called a personality trait.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 4:16 AM

Yawn. It is projection. However you feel or think about yourself, it will be projected onto everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 4:19 AM

OP, we hate you.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 4:24 AM

R5, I’ve felt this way most of my life. But I’ve Aldo always had friends. So I guess I’m fairly functional.

R6, normally I would agree with you, but things are pretty great in my life for the most part. I’ve recently achieved some big personal and work goals. People just irritate the shit out of me, and it’s exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 4:24 AM

R8 OP, when you look in the mirror do you irritate yourself?

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 4:26 AM

You should ask yourself, OP, what is this worldview doing for me? Does confirming my bias increase my happiness and enrich my life? I'm guessing the answer is no. And then project 5-10 years into the future, where you have a huge mountain of evidence that your fellow inhabitants of Planet Earth are horrible. Where does that leave you? If you don't like what you see, then take steps to change it. Discipline yourself to seek out and acknowledge the good in others. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 4:34 AM

OP, I condole you

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2019 4:48 AM

I agree with r10 to an extent. Don't allow yourself to be blinded to the good out there, because there is good out there, but unfortunately you're also right in that the great majority of people are stupid and/or greedy, and don't like to think about things that make them uncomfortable. Getting excessively irritated by the stupidity and venality of strangers, however, does nothing but cause you grief. Why give yourself an ulcer because most people are assholes? Cherish the good ones in your life and don't let the assholes get to you too much.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2019 4:49 AM

It's probably too late for you. You're just stuck the way you are.

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2019 5:01 AM

I fuckin loathed everyone. There was not one person on this plant that didn't give me the shits and enrage me. After being successfully treated for depression people don't bother me nearly as much, I just ignore them. So it could be depression. Yes, people are still the rude selfish cunts they've always been just without the depression I don't take their shit onboard and let them get to me.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2019 5:13 AM

If you are white male under 35, I think you are now required to buy an automatic assault rifle. Seems to be how it works.

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2019 6:34 AM

I had to take a 2nd shift job that includes weekends because I hate working with people.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2019 7:39 AM

OP, do you live in a city? If so, move away to a quiet suburb and create a peaceful haven for yourself. Being around too many people constantly can lead to the feelings you have because city life turns ordinary people into raging assholes--everyone is always in your face and it's constant confrontation. Even dealing with everyday realities like competing for parking spaces and dealing with traffic can be exhausting. It's 100 x worse if you're somewhat introverted, then you need to spend even more time alone enjoying peace and quiet.

And also what R10 said. We tend to ignore the good in people instead of acknowledging it to ourselves. It's much easier to find fault in others. For the next seven days, write down all the nice things that happen in any interactions you have with people. Even if someone smiles at you or tells you to "have a blessed day" (ugh, I know. But their intentions are good).

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2019 10:32 AM

It’s called “behavioral sink,” OP. It’s caused by “unfettered population growth.”

Overpopulation experiments were conducted with rats back in the 1960s. The rats got meaner and more selfish the more they were crowded in with other rats.

Th experiments predicted exactly what’s happening to people today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2019 10:55 AM

Sometimes I dislike them all. These days I like them all. Things are going well.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 5:00 PM

Look in a mirror, OP.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 5:34 PM

OP, what city do you live in? I’ll look up a psychiatrist for you.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 7:53 PM

I agree with the poster above who asked if OP was living in a city. City living can be stressful, especially in the winter., because the only place you can get away from strangers in your apartment If it's really affecting your mental health, and from the sound of it, OP, your mental health is being affected by your environment, I would take steps to change it. Also, agree 100% with having a pet, especially an indoor cat. You become their whole world.

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2019 5:15 AM

Just imagine how they feel about you.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2019 5:21 AM

Man, I hate people. Well, person. Just the one. It's the only person I know. What an asshole. Makes me hate my life. Everything is fucking shit. I mean, I can't even tell you about the box. And, the slop he calls food! WTF? Blob, I call him Blob, just sits there all day looking morose. People suck. I can't wait to eat his face when he dies...

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2019 6:19 AM

The worst people I’ve been unlucky enough to have to deal with were small town folk. I’d take city people any hour of the day over backwater neanderthals.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2019 6:35 AM

[quote]The worst people I’ve been unlucky enough to have to deal with were small town folk. I’d take city people any hour of the day over backwater neanderthals.

I can't imagine why they might not treat you well. Hm? It's a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2019 6:38 AM

OP has come to the right place.

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2019 6:46 AM

[quote] normally I would agree with you, but things are pretty great in my life for the most part. I’ve recently achieved some big personal and work goals. People just irritate the shit out of me, and it’s exhausting.

That state is your comfort zone. Your sudden success made you crave it even more, because the feeling of happiness and success is literally outside your comfort zone. A great deal of people self hate and self sabotage, because they feel safe and sound in that negative feeling stage they are so used to. Like, people rather stay with an abusive partner than having to face the unknown darkness that is singlehood which comes with no longer being abused by your recent partner. It has a lot to do with the belief that they are not worthy of happiness and that they should settle for discomfort, struggle, feeling inferior (or downright worthless).

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2019 6:47 AM

I’ve felt like that all my life op. I think it’s true I always felt like my being on this earth is some horrible mistake.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2019 6:53 AM

[quote]I always felt like my being on this earth is some horrible mistake.

If I think too long and too hard about my particular set of parents, it is impossible not to come to the conclusion that I should never have been born. I realize this is my thinking at its most depressive, and did CBT—not Cock & Ball Torture; the [italic]other[/italic] CBT—for years and now try not to think those thoughts, but they are where my mind goes when I get like you or OP.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2019 7:01 AM

Based on New Age beliefs we pick our parents, and our parents pick us, to teach us incredibly valuable life lessons. Like the ultra conservative / religious parents who get a gay kid to teach them about unconditional love.

Of course, there are beliefs that, if we don't learn the lessons we wanted / had to this time, there's always the next life (and the next one after that, and the next one after that, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2019 7:37 AM

^^ airy-fairy magical thinking

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2019 1:55 PM

To know us is to hate us.

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2019 1:57 PM

[quote] Based on New Age beliefs we pick our parents, and our parents pick us, to teach us incredibly valuable life lessons. Like the ultra conservative / religious parents who get a gay kid to teach them about unconditional love.

I guess my homophobic-as-shit father is going to have to repeat that lesson. From him, however, I learned that I don't have to keep drinking. He never learned that, either, unfortunately. He died a miserable, angry drunk. He hated people more than I could ever have.

by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2019 2:35 PM

Yes, OP, as I always said, "Hell is other people."

by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2019 5:25 PM

Think before you open your mouth. That's the only advise I will give. That said, I feel the same way...I find most humans to be rude and self absorbed. No matter where you go they have to infect themselves on everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2019 6:17 PM

OP, sell everything you own and give the money to the poor.

by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2019 10:15 PM

I've lived in big cities and in small towns. IMO, you get way more privacy in a big city.

by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2019 11:56 PM

I like people and tend to be quite social, but even I find them difficult sometimes, even more so when I am not feeling well or happy myself. I think the idea that there is depression involved seems pretty plausible, OP. Definitely think therapy or meds might help you feel better. It’s certainly worth a try.

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2019 12:03 AM

I feel that way too OP. Ultimately it is what it is. I can barely even read fiction or watch films anymore, unless the plot is particularly fascinating. I start a film and 5 minutes in all I can think is. "I don't care about these people ".

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2019 8:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!