Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sister Sledge

Produced by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards.

I'm listening to the Chic / Sister Sledge remasters "Chic Organization". So slick!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 11, 2020 2:40 PM

If I hear “We Are Family” ever again, I’m gonna take a Sledgehammer to one of you Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 3:56 AM

This is an amazing record.

Nile said of all of Chic's productions, "pound for pound, We Are Family is our best album hands down."

And he's right! So many gems, even the deep cuts including Lost in Music and ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 4:11 AM

R1, one of them is dead already, Joni.

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 4:11 AM

Lost in music was so good. So was one more time and thinking of you.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2019 4:11 AM

Flawless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 4:14 AM

Lost in Music!!! Thanks for posting that, OP. Brings back amazing memories.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 4:20 AM

R5 Halston, Gucci, Fiorucci !!

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 4:29 AM

I kind of wish Nile Rodgers had kept some of the songs they wrote for others for Chic.

He's the Greatest Dancer and (IIRC) at least one of the big hits from Diana Ross's album were originally to be recorded by Chic but they gave them away. I remember reading that one of the original Chic ladies was pissed about that, because she knew they'd be big hits.

Chic deserves a lot more recognition, including that Hall of Fame slot that has eluded them for 11 nominations before Nile Rodgers got an honorary award.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 4:42 AM

Chic is currently the opening act for Cher's tour. Saw them 3 weeks ago and they brought the house down!

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 6:11 AM

The current configuration of "Chic" is just Nile Rodgers now.

Bernard Edwards (bass) and Tommy Thompson (drums) died a while ago.

And Nile replaced Luci Martin and Alva Anderson with younger women.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 6:17 AM

That other thread made me revisit the Sister Sledge albums produced by Chic. I can hardly think of a sound more euphoric the Kathy Sledge soaring for those high notes. Just what I needed to hear at this time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2020 2:25 AM

Lost in Music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2020 2:29 AM

Wasn’t the lead on their biggest hits (Kathy sledge) fired from the group?

by Anonymousreply 13April 11, 2020 2:43 AM

Maybe Chic is so (criminally) underappreciated because the albums just don't hold up. The best possible singles, but on really listless, padded-out albums. Like someone said above, Niles should have saved more stuff for Chic.

And they should have kept Norma Jean around longer! She was so much fun.

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2020 2:50 AM

*Nile

by Anonymousreply 15April 11, 2020 2:50 AM

Kathy Sledge was one of the most wonderful r&b singers. So effortless, yet so accessible. And yes, she was fired from the group, although they might have reconciled. Without her singing, there would have been no Sister Sledge.

by Anonymousreply 16April 11, 2020 2:52 AM

Norma Jean's solo album was also good.

by Anonymousreply 17April 11, 2020 2:52 AM

I never liked "We Are Family," and only became acquainted with the rest of their ouevre fairly recently. I adore "You Fooled Around" along with the songs mentioned above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 11, 2020 5:40 AM

Thinking of You is also great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 11, 2020 5:46 AM

Such great music.

by Anonymousreply 20April 11, 2020 6:07 AM

We are FAM-uh-lee.

Firin' all my systems on "Three . . . "

by Anonymousreply 21April 11, 2020 8:20 AM

CHIC's music holds up. I just love the sound so much. No wonder Bowie and Madonna wanted to work with Rodgers. They knew he would bring the hits - and he did.

I love Norma Jean Wright's solo album. "Sorcerer", "I Love Love" and "Saturday" are fabulous.

I liked a lot of the remixes Dimitri from Paris did awhile back. They were featured on this French box set. This is one of my all-time favourite box sets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 11, 2020 8:27 AM

Nile Rodgers has one of the best autobiographies ever. Read it. You got time.

by Anonymousreply 23April 11, 2020 9:04 AM

R23 is right, it is a great book.

by Anonymousreply 24April 11, 2020 1:13 PM

Kathy Sledge had the perfect voice for Chic productions. The other girls -- Norma Jean, Alfa, Luci and Sylver-- were great but not as distinctive or powerful as Kathy. After Chic, Kathy rarely had a good showcase for her talent. Their collaborations were the best of Chic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 11, 2020 2:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!