Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is Penn State like?

The campus and area I mean. I'm thinking of taking a summer job there. Would it be tolerable for a few months?

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 4:31 AM

Not longer

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 3:04 AM

The population thins out drastically during the summer once the students vacate. State College is a tiny college town. The only excitement you'll get is going to Trader Joe's on the weekend, and both urban areas (Pittsburgh and Philly) are hours in each direction. The weather is very humid during the summer months.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 3:19 AM

I hope they haven't changed too much around.

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 3:26 AM

I would also mention that the main road, Atherton Street, gets ripped up and replaced every single summer without fail. They fuck up whatever work they do on it and then have to re-do it the following summer. It takes twice as long to get anywhere because of this. A big sign that you are in PA is perpetual road construction.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2019 3:30 AM

You're close to a lot for day or weekend trips. To me the town itself is pretty generic.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 3:31 AM

State College is a nice little town. Pleasant scenery - it's up in the Allegheny Mts. Go to Baby's Burgers and Shakes, The Tavern, and Zeno's

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 3:37 AM

It would be hard to get FARTHER from gay or urban life in the Northeast if you tried. If you are OK reading and hiking, it’s fine. But you’re stuck there - and all the hot college kids are gone. Maybe a few remnants for the summer. But plan on being bored stiff.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 4:29 AM

It's OK, but not anything special. And once you leave the campus, you're in Pennsyltucky.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 4:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!