Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why gay men dye their hair platinum blonde?

Literally every gay man I know had their hair dyed platinum blonde at least once but I never understood the appeal

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2020 7:03 AM

OP You clearly have had limited exposure to gay men, or your definition is somewhat circumscribed.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 7:11 PM

I did it when I was in my early 20s (including my eyebrows and arm hair) but chickened-out and brought some brown color a few days later.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 7:16 PM

*Literally* every gay man you know?

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 7:20 PM

I want to know the answer too

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 7:31 PM

OP, we should meet. I’m a gay man and I’ve never dyed my hair platinum blond. Seems like you’re a little sheltered and need to meet more people.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 7:50 PM

Blonds are perceived as younger and more attractive, consequently all bottoms go through the bleached blond phase.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2019 7:55 PM

I don't know what you're talking about

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2019 7:57 PM

You cannot "dye" your hair from dark to blonde. Dye is additive, not subtractive. To go from dark to light, there is a two-step process: you bleach to lighten/remove the existing color, then use a toner to correct unwanted yellow/orange tones.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2019 8:02 PM

Maybe it's the swamp in which OP wallows as I've never seen any platinum-blond dyed homos in my neck of the woods.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2019 8:04 PM

Maybe if you take off the MAGA hat and get out into the world more you will see a more diverse group of human beings, R9. Just a suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2019 8:06 PM

Never dyed my hair platinum blonde or any other color. Gold star gay here!

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2019 8:43 PM

Does that include the frosted tips on spiky hair that was all the rage in the 90's?

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2019 10:43 PM

Maybe they get bored of their hair color and want to switch it up.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2019 11:14 PM

It's almost summer, time for the terrible trend to rear its ugly head. 95% of bleach blonde guys look awful

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2020 6:02 AM

OP is a stupid girl.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2020 6:08 AM

Come on. We’re more likely than anyone to know stylists who want to do this kind of thing. It’s just throwing money at friends.

I’ve noticed a lot of purpled silver as well as hamster orange.

Plus, we’re getting asymmetric bob cuts with neo punk overtones.

Also, I see much less of that cool gloss look and much more of the woolly poodle look.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2020 7:03 AM

My first boyf wanted me to be a blonde. When we met I was just back from a holiday in Hawaii and I was tanned and my brown hair was sun-streaked. The brown grew back but he begged me go to blonde. His best friend was a hair stylist and she gave me blonde highlights because I wasn't going to go full-on blonde. I grew my hair quite long but the brown came back, and I eventually got a buzzcut, which my boyf hated. We eventually broke up and I found out he had been seeing a blonde guy on the side, who became his new boyf.

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2020 7:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!