Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peleton loses big after being ridiculed over ad

The ad shows 116 pound woman's yearlong journey to become 112 pounds (!!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 5, 2019 2:49 AM

haha, i call this commercial 'what really happened to the girl after the blair witch project'

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 5:04 PM

This reminds me of that domestic thriller about the Christian Grey-like sadist who rents out a "smart house" to identical-looking young women and controls their every move.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 5:04 PM

It looked like they were saying it was a gift for your trophy wife. They should have had the woman buy it herself, I knew when her husband gave it to her and then the husband watched a video of her doing it that it would get a lot of negative feedback.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 5:04 PM

Yeah that commercial confused me. I saw no difference? I didn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 5:05 PM

and the investors who sold this morning will buy back this afternoon and pocket the difference

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 5:14 PM

I suspect they aren't trying to sell these things to fatties, I suspect the target demographic is trophy wives with money to spend on looking good. Those things cost thousands, and the ad looks like it was targeting spoiled, lonely, looks-obsessed, approval-hungry, competitive, perfectionist trophy housewives... who really would think that losing four pounds really is a personal journey!

I mean, what's the difference between those things and a standard exercycle? It seems to be that you can remotely join classes with an instructor to interact with, and other exercyclers to compete against. That meets a lot of emotional needs, for the sort of woman who becomes a trophy wife.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2019 5:23 PM

Can someone explain this shit to me? PLEASE. How is it different from just buying an exercise bike and a dvd?

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2019 5:31 PM

I, a non-aspirational fatty, bought a 350 buck exercise bike the week of Thanksgiving on Amazon and have lost 5 pounds. I understand that us fatties lose at a much faster rate initially because we have so much to lose and calories burn faster BUT the commercial is ridiculous.

I actually truly fear having a heart attack and am in a delicate race to lose enough weight before I have a heart attack while trying not to give myself one from exercising. I was less dramatic about the whole situation than she is, of course, I am not being held captive like she clearly is so maybe I should go easy on her.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2019 5:40 PM

GOOD!!!

I fucking hate Peleton!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2019 6:12 PM

First world problem, for sure.

Some skinny bitch needs to lose 10 ounces.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2019 6:15 PM

Why does she have the look of someone whose husband sticks a fork in her hand if she reaches for another roll?

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2019 6:26 PM

I never realized what these people are griping about, but I definitely noticed that this woman didn't look like she needed to lose weight.

This is why people despise Peleton. They are fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2019 6:28 PM

I hate these commercials more for the fact that the bike is always placed in the middle of a living room. Who puts their exercise equipment there?

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2019 6:46 PM

Is Peleton the new crossfit? Those people are a cult, too.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2019 6:49 PM

HA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2019 6:52 PM

It would have been fine if the commercial were about her maintaining or improving her fitness level. But to make it about an already slim woman losing at most ten pounds it looks tacky.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2019 6:53 PM

DIE, PELOTON! DIE!

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2019 6:53 PM

"Why does she have the look of someone whose husband sticks a fork in her hand if she reaches for another roll? "

Because that's who'll spend thousands on tarted-up exercise bike, when they could get one just as functional for a few hundred?

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2019 6:54 PM

But fat people don't exercise. That's why they're fat. It is hard losing 4 lbs when you're already thin. I get it.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2019 6:59 PM

[quote] It is hard losing 4 lbs when you're already thin. I get it.

DIE, R19! DIE!!

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2019 7:00 PM

I don't really get the criticism. You don't just exercise to lose weight and there is nothing about weight in the commercial. People exercise to get and stay in shape and think people exercise too as part of living a healthy lifestyle. The video'ing your own workouts was a little weird but otherwise I wouldn't even have thought twice about the ad.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2019 7:05 PM

What kind of husband gives his wife an exercise bike for Christmas in the first place? Isn’t that basically him telling her she could stand to drop a few?

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 7:09 PM

R21, I think people are reacting to how ridiculous she looks. Like a hostage to her grotesque weight.

This is the look of someone who's abuselively being told she's a fat fuck, not someone merely maintaining health.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2019 7:10 PM

abusively*

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2019 7:22 PM

Upper middle class goop thinspo asceticism. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2019 7:27 PM

I'd be happy with a $25 used exercise bike and I'm just holding out for the time we can get wifi eyeballs so I can read DL on autoscroll from the comfort of my own inner skull. That surgery will probably be cheaper than a Peloton. And then I can be like HAA ha HAHA ha, bitch you're obsolete!

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2019 7:35 PM

I’m noticing more and more “plus-size” women in commercials.

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2019 7:37 PM

She should watch Sleeping With The Enemy and rethink her life choices.

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2019 7:39 PM

Well it is tiresome seeing the constant fatty husband and fit and or petite wife pairing. The only woman allowed to be fat in commercials for the past 15-20 years has been the Sassy Black Woman, and she has to be extra-extra.

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2019 7:43 PM

"Here's two Peleton bikes, because you need to lose twice as much weight, you fat cow. You don't want to be single next Christmas. Happy Holidays!"

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2019 7:51 PM

I saw this ad the other day, wasn’t paying too much attention, but when I glanced up and saw the perfectly fit and thin woman they were presenting as on this big physical transformation journey, I thought “when did eating disorders become normalized???”

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2019 7:52 PM

I hope this signals the collapse of Peloton.

Douchiest product EVER.

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2019 7:52 PM

R21 I too saw the commercial (annoying as it is) as a fit woman reaching fitness goals. That is the Peleton market.

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2019 7:54 PM

it wouldn't be so notable if not for her palpable fear throughout the entire commercial.

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2019 8:02 PM

Now if it was somebody that looked like this in the commercial, I would get it.

Now this bitch can stand to drop a couple dozen lbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2019 10:56 PM

^Dear God, please don't let her do that Basic Instinct thing.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2019 11:00 PM

I would love to know what the actress is thinking.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2019 11:23 PM

Also what a shitty fucking gift to give your husband who bought you such an expensive ass bike. Here’s a video of me riding said bike! Your gift is helping me boost my superficial self confidence! I hope to God that guy is having an affair.

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2019 11:34 PM

She thanks her husband like he had given her a kidney.

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2019 11:35 PM

She looks like Fiona (Shameless) when she was getting booked.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2019 11:36 PM

The thing that struck me about the ad is that it appears to be explicitly hitting the buttons of women who suffer from borderline personality disorder: the fear of abandonment, the body dysmorphia, the ideation...

Very unsettling ad.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2019 11:41 PM

This thread is hilarious on so many levels.

1. DLers thinking that the only reason one would exercise is to lose weight, rather than to just relieve stress, live a healthy lifestyle

2. DLers thinking that buying her a Peleton meant he thought she needed to lose weight, ,rather than realizing it is a UMC status symbol and she likely wanted one.

3. DLers not getting Peleton's marketing scheme, which is selling you the bike for $2K+ and then subscribing you to live exercise classes streamed online for $40/month. Which, TBH, is quite a bargain given that SoulCycle is about that much per class and Crossfit is usually over $200/month

4. DLers getting all upset over something not intended for them

5. The Class Warfare tone of all the criticism here and online

6. R21 and R33 get it

This Twitter thread from last year mocking the Peleton print ads is much, much funnier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2019 11:50 PM

R42, no matter what you say, the look on her face is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2019 11:53 PM

Way too fat.

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2019 11:54 PM

It's a dumb corny commercial for sure, R43 and not very well cast or shot, but certainly not worthy of all the outrage given how many other dumb corny commercials are on TV. As in Every Pharma Commercial Ever

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2019 11:58 PM

I still regret buying my NordicTrack back in the day

by Anonymousreply 46December 5, 2019 12:10 AM

The commercial that grates for me is that GMC commercial where they guy buys a red truck and a black truck and his girlfriend takes the black one meant for him. They overplayed it last year and it's baaaack.

by Anonymousreply 47December 5, 2019 12:11 AM

[quote] rather than realizing it is a UMC status symbol and she likely wanted one.

Yes, that totally explains the abject terror on her face.

by Anonymousreply 48December 5, 2019 12:17 AM

She looks like the woman from Get Out

by Anonymousreply 49December 5, 2019 12:18 AM

"This is the look of someone who's abuselively being told she's a fat fuck, not someone merely maintaining health. "

There's big bucks to be had, in appealing to the massive insecurity of the well-to-do!

Particularly the massive insecurity of stay-at-home trophy wives, who know damn well how easily another woman could take it all away, now that they've had children and aren't devoting every waking second to pleasing their wealthy husbands. That's why the gal in the commercial is shaking in her boots, they want to sell the damn things to women who feel threatened by the existence of anyone younger or fitter.

by Anonymousreply 50December 5, 2019 2:34 AM

I hit mute every time I see this shit. Do not care about this hallmark channel level acting or this fugly anorexic troll.

by Anonymousreply 51December 5, 2019 2:43 AM

It’s PelOton, FFS. If you’re passionate enough to defend their creepy ad, at least spell the name right.

by Anonymousreply 52December 5, 2019 2:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!