Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oprah to Produce Documentary About Sexual Assault in the Music Industry for Apple TV+

To predators in the music industry who haven’t had their Times Up moment yet: It may be coming. On Tuesday, Oprah Winfrey announced that she will be bringing a documentary about sexual assault in the music industry to Apple TV+ in 2020. Variety reports that the documentary “follows a former music executive who grapples with whether to go public with her story of assault and abuse by a notable figure in the industry.” The as-yet-unnamed documentary from Oprah and Impact Partners is described as “a profound examination of race, gender, class and intersectionality, and the toll assaults take on their victims and society at large.” It will be directed and produced by filmmakers Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering. The duo’s documentary The Invisible War, about sexual assault in the U.S. military, was nominated for an Academy Award in 2013. In 2015 they directed and produced The Hunting Ground, a documentary about sexual assault on college campuses.

In March of this year, Oprah hosted an HBO/OWN special in which she interviewed Wade Robson and James Safechuck, the subjects of the documentary Leaving Neverland, which explores sexual-abuse allegations about Michael Jackson. She also currently hosts the Oprah’s Book Club series on Apple TV+, which premiered on November 1 with an episode about Ta-Nehisi Coates’s The Water Dancer. Oprah’s Harpo Productions will executive produce the documentary, and social activist Abigail Disney (of being a Disney Disney fame) is also one of the co-executive producers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2020 6:30 PM

Emotional hijacker

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 4:51 PM

The only thing worse than sexual assault is documentaries about sexual assault showing only on streaming services that I don't use.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 4:53 PM

I really don't understand how sexual assault and sexual harassment became so prevalent in the music industry. The industry has been in financial downward spiral for decades now, having more and more trouble actually selling recorded music with each change in playback technology.

So logically, shouldn't the industry focus be on increasing profits as the only goal, which should logically mean zero tolerance for shutting out real talent because they won't play ball, or putting out crap from your hookup rather than good music? Yet, that's the way it's working in real life, sexual harassment of "artists" is tolerated everywhere. I don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 5:30 PM

I lost 42 pounds reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 6:53 PM

R3 -- I agree in theory, and it would be nice if it were true, but it seems clear that talent is not what is required to be successful. Music has always been about selling sex for the most part; more so than any other arts. Sex sells. And when so many performers are vying for the very very few spots, the ones who do anything to secure fame will be the ones that get the record deal, get the opening slot on a good tour, get on the tv shows.

I'm a former professional Nashville songwriter, and, even from that perspective, I saw how the female songwriters used sex to get songwriting appointments with more successful writers. It is despicable, and it happens all the time.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 7:01 PM

Those glasses are really ugly and unflattering.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2019 7:46 PM

Music's true value can be seen on subway platforms, where people basically give it away for spare change.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 1:51 AM

Pretty rich coming from Oprah considering she hangs out with David Geffen.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 1:59 AM

Paging Dr. Luke

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 2:14 AM

I’m confused. Why isn’t she making content for OWN? Why Apple +.

What’s up with OWN?

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 2:16 AM

I hope it's juicey. I've heard the abuse is worse in the music industry than it is in acting.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2019 3:34 AM

Yeah, Oprah. Exploit them again for some coin and producer cred.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2019 10:51 AM

R9 he now goes by Made In China.

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2019 12:37 PM

Oprah out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2020 6:08 PM

Oprah don't do stairs.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2020 6:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!