Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2020 Census Hiring, aren't there more efficient ways to count everyone?

Witnessed massive fraud and forgery in the supposed total count of all Americans. Extremely incompetent managers from the very top on down run this governmental fiasco. Aren't there cheaper ways to conduct the census in the computer age?

Economists predict the US is going to be hit with a recession. US Government needs to save rather than waste money IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 39February 26, 2020 2:05 PM

Not with so many Undocumented living in the US now.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 10:34 AM

Not with so many Undocumented living in the US now.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 10:34 AM

It's all done automatically and digitally where I live; haven't had a classic census in well over a decade. But yes, not many undocumenteds here, and you count the population, not just the citizens. So it has to be done like that in the US. Shame about the corruption you describe.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 10:38 AM

R8, Needed a part-time job so worked as an office worker in the Census in Santa Monica. Witnessed the top office manager repeatedly changing all of the forms reporting Viet Namese immigrants from 21 residents in 1 apartment to 2. He said it was impossible for 21 people to live in a 2-bedroom apt. I tried to explain how it could work and was fired the next day for complaining.

Reported the jerk to top level management in Washington DC. The response came months later that he wasn't there anymore so they didn't want to hear about problems.

Exact same response I got to reports of massive fraud I observed on every single Census. Countless employees bragging about making up numbers on hundreds of forms. Managers totally incapable of supervising anyone. Incredible numbers of employees doing almost nothing every day, all day, purposely wasting time to get a bigger paycheck.

Anyone who believe that the Census is even somewhat accurate is totally delusional.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 10:50 AM

That's what happens when you don't control who enters your country. A nation of immigrants? Poof!

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 10:53 AM

R3 said " haven't had a classic census in well over a decade."

Still trying to figure that one out.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 4:27 AM

r6 Why, what exactly is unclear about that sentence? It's been almost twenty years since we've had a classic census.

And there's really no need to pounce on the foreigner for his language skills; it's rarely a good look, dear.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 4:32 AM

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 4:35 AM

What does the term "classic census" mean.

The U.S has a census every 10 years as mandated by the Constitution. So it could not have been "over a decade."

Some people get the short form. Some get the long form. If they do not send in their form a Census worker goes to thei home to count. If the resident is uncooperative or hard to reach, the census worker will ask neighbors for information.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 4:43 AM

The census is in the Constitution and requires an actual count, as best as they can. That means they cannot use statistical means even one that is reliably accurate and far cheaper. Since the workers are mostly inexperienced, and are all unpracticed, it’s going to be a shit show. Just accept it.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 4:55 AM

R9, I'd just moved into my condo complex right after the last census. I was counted in my previous residence, talked to census workers when they visited, and was assured they'd stop bothering me. I didn't know much info about my neighbors, and knew giving a 1st name wasn't going to cut it. I refuse to guess anyone's age.

The very next weekend I was home too sick to answer the door and in my pj's. The census workers knocked on my door every 1/2 hour, all day and night. Wondering if the police would have gotten them to leave me alone.

So if I just fill in my name and mail the form in will that be OK? Heard that's what my anti-government (but voting Democrat) neighbors always do.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2019 4:58 AM

Soon we’ll all be chipped.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2019 4:59 AM

R10, "A shit show" is one thing but out and out fraud and changing answers on many, many forms by managers is quite another.

Law should be changed to conduct the census electronically. If you saw what I saw you'd know it would be far more accurate. Why pay thousands of workers to waste time?

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2019 5:01 AM

R12, Did you know TX is already chipping volunteers who are homeless? They're promised food, shelter and care if they agree to the process.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2019 5:02 AM

OP sounds like the GOP. You lost at the Supreme Court years ago.

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2019 5:18 AM

R15, Why are you accusing me of being GOP when I say that the Census has long been a total fraud, extremely inaccurate and a total waste of money when electronic alternatives exist? Wouldn't you rather see the money spent elsewhere?

Solid life-long Democrats don't trust the government either, and resent some of the more intrusive questions. Do you really think people answer all of the questions honestly?

The US Constitution can and should be changed to a cheaper and far more accurate method of count.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2019 5:56 AM

R11, yes. The census workers only come to addresses which had not responded. Or trying to get info on neighbors who did not respond.

If you had just moved in they probably asked what you knew about the previsou tenant. If you knew nothing, they got the info from a neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2019 11:33 AM

R11, by the way, giving a first name would cut it. They could get the last name from the mail box...or just leave it blank.

What they really need are numbers of people. In fact, when I had people who were nervous about giving info, I told them to make up a name.

And when the neighbors did not know the name and we were getting to the end, we would not use a name at all. We just needed to count the number of people living there on April 1 of that year.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2019 11:36 AM

I applied your chances of getting it are slim unless you're a minority.

The test you have to pass can be completed by a third grader, LITERALLY a third grader.

That means everyone gets 100%, even the Corkys of the world. Then they give you extra credit for things like being a legal minority, old, vet etc, which means it's pointless.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 11:39 AM

It’s micro harassment. I’m not answering shit. I resent the creepy abnormals they send out banging on doors. Wonder how many will be shot....It’s a different America than the last census. Only a fool would go door to door. Or an aggressive asshole who enjoys bothering people and acting like the new wave gestapo in their own minds. Decrepit Magas will flock to this gig. I predict problems.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 12:08 PM

I worked for the 2010 census and it was already getting nuts with the Tea Party loons and others who didn't want to give their information to Obama's government. I was stopped and questioned my the cops multiple times, especially in small towns where the police protect the meth trade. There's no way I would go door-to-door this year, with Trump riling up hatred for the "deep state" and normal government employees.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 4:25 PM

R17, My condo was empty for a few months when I moved in. I'd already reported that fact to the census worker in person who repeatedly promised I'd NEVER be bothered again. She lied.

R18, We don't have names on our condo mailboxes. Sincerely doubt that a 1st name would have been sufficient, and I'd only be able to give that for 2 different neighbors.

I love my condo complex because most people mind their own business aside from a casual "hello" when encountering someone. Some don't live here full-time. Means it's extremely quiet. Also there are a lot of Chinese and now African speakers who aren't comfortable speaking English. Gossip is kept to a minimum unlike my previous residences where 100% of everyone were native Americans. There's a reason my complex doesn't hold Christmas parties, leads to poorer relations between neighbors unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2019 4:35 PM

R21, Friend in small town AR said strangers on their land or in their general area of the Bible Belt are greeted with a shotgun. Too many meth addicts causing trouble so a census worker would be viewed as a potential thief. Yes the Census is already aggressively trying to recruit these types to do the count. Good luck with that nightmare.

Foreseeing lawsuits over injured census workers or the unscrupulous making up a massive amount of information so that they can get paid more so than in previous years. Census is a total fraud and any business that relies on it for "facts" is foolish.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2019 4:45 PM

"Why are you accusing me of being GOP when I say that the Census has long been a total fraud, extremely inaccurate and a total waste of money when electronic alternatives exist? Wouldn't you rather see the money spent elsewhere?"

Coming from a deplorable who wants to spend billions on a wall that people can climb over or saw through?!!!

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 4:48 PM

R24, When did I ever advocate building a wall considering that there's a complex network of paved tunnels, large enough to accommodate a truck, connecting Mexico to all US border states and in existence since the 1950's?

The wall equals more money for the cartels, the real rulers of Mexico and much of Latin and South America. It also means more human trafficking as the coyotes rape anyone they choose who's desperate to get to America and support their families.

R24, In fact I am the one who has repeatedly posted threads of those physically strong, clever, border crossers who have easily breached the wall. So stop LYING and falsely accusing me of advocating what I'm in fact strongly against. The wall is not the way to control immigration which yes should not be open.

With the complex underground "railway" it still is relatively open. I can provide details and specifics if anyone's interested. Look at the hills only on the right side as you cross the border into Ti Juana. The topography is very different from San Diego County. These hills didn't exist prior to the 1950's. Wonder why? How about the ramshackle homes built into the hillside. Do you know they're real purpose?

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 8:12 PM

R24, Are you trying to derail my thread? Why don't you admit that the Census is outdated considering that it would be far more efficient, cost effective, and accurate to use electronic means if a complex count of Americans is necessary?

Democrats, Republicans, and especially Libertarians rail against excessive, unnecessary government spending especially in light of the coming Recession. There are far more crucial needs for federal funding then the boondoggle that is the Census. Laws can be changed as well as the US Constitution.

To illustrate what a disaster the Census is in reality let me tell you that the last top dog, director in DC couldn't even train his assistant to properly answer the phone. She refused to give her name when asked politely. The obviously thoroughly incompetent jerk's response was that she needed a job. Hello?

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2019 8:18 PM

R25, if you don't want to get called a Republican, don't repeat Republican talking points. The census isn't evil. The government isn't evil.

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2019 8:30 PM

R27, I never said the Census and the government were evil. Just produced evidence that the Census is a total waste of money and fraudulent considering that there were much cheaper and more accurate ways to accomplish the exact same thing in 2020.

Currently there are fears Social Security and Medicare are going broke. Saving them should be a priority over outdated methods to count Americans.

Having worked in city, county and federal government in the past I don't think it's inherently evil. However there's a lot that can be done to make it much more efficient including blatant incompetents.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2019 8:38 PM

R22, I do not understand your "doubt." Do you think I was lying?

I was a Census worker. Yes, we tried to get the names, but I am telling you, if we could not get a last name---and in some cases when we could not get any names--we still counted the people.

We also counted the homeless.

The point of the census is to count people and note where they were on April 1. Names help but even without them, the point is still to count them.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2019 3:39 AM

OP wants the census to be based on statistical analysis so that the gop can fuck with it.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2019 3:41 AM

R30, NO. I want the Census to be based on statistical analysis because I believe it ends up being more accurate, and I know the feds have better uses for the enormous amount of money it costs. Reminder we're heading towards a Recession.

Exactly how would the GOP "fuck with it?" Wouldn't both parties "fuck with it?"

Reminder, I'm a strong support of Mayor Pete and his very diplomatic style.

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2019 3:48 AM

R31: " Exactly how would the GOP "fuck with it?" Wouldn't both parties "fuck with it?" "

Here's how:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2019 10:54 AM

The last Canadian census was done online. Im sure that there were options for those who do not have a computer. However, I noticed that the form was a lot shorter than any previous census.

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2019 11:02 AM

DL’ers are fat homebounds. Good grief.

by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2019 11:14 AM

R28 -- Please specific about the "cheaper and more accurate ways" to count all persons in the United States in 2020.

Please refrain from mere armchair pontification.

by Anonymousreply 35February 16, 2020 7:40 PM

The sad truth is that nobody is interested in an accurate count.

by Anonymousreply 36February 16, 2020 7:42 PM

I have read that statistics can somehow be used, R35.

by Anonymousreply 37February 16, 2020 7:55 PM

You mean extrapolations based upon samples?

by Anonymousreply 38February 16, 2020 7:58 PM

The Supreme Court has said, since the Constitution says an enumeration it has to be a count

by Anonymousreply 39February 26, 2020 2:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!