Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is Britney Spears’s legacy?

Did she last long enough to be considered a Music Icon/legend? Is she the Marilyn Monroe of our time?

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2019 3:04 AM

Bald head, decent tits, kissed Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 6:34 AM

Why are you talking about her as though she's dead?

She's still alive. So, she's still lasting, and is already past Monroe in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 6:35 AM

r2 Britney Spears died in 2007. She’s severely mentally ill and completely controlled by her daddy and “her team”. She might as well be dead. They could replace with a hologram and no one would notice the difference.I have no idea why she’s able to make so much money off that sad display in Vegas but her career as it was is long gone. Her legacy will be based around what she did before she shaved her hair off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 6:46 AM

She's not dead, R2, but her career is.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 6:46 AM

No you stupid bitch. She didn't die at 27.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 6:49 AM

r5 Marilyn was 36

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2019 7:05 AM

Her (terrible) British accent phase will live on forever.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2019 7:07 AM

Not the Marilyn, but perhaps the Jayne Mansfield before she shaved her head. After she shaved her head, she became a cheap rip off of Mamie Van Doren

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2019 7:11 AM

It's so weird how she was everywhere for a few years and now she hasnt really spoken candidly in the last decade about anything (I could be full of shit, I dont closely follow her). She is basically an animatronic doing those Vegas shows.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2019 7:20 AM

I find the pre- to breakdown era interesting like the blind items and gossip about her being pozzers because she would get sloshed, go “skiing” and get snogged six ways to Sunday by every Tom, Dick and Harry in hotel & club bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2019 9:15 AM

Her legacy is about as important as Anna Nicole Smith’s.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2019 10:50 AM

Her legacy will be as the robot that producers manipulated to make various songs. Nothing more. People will forget pre-2007 Britney the way people forgot about Whitney's persona pre-2000 (when she was officially caught with marijuana at the Hawaii airport). The Whitney persona that we hear about is the "crack is wack" Whitney. Britney will be remembered as barely being a voice.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2019 12:37 PM

Dionne got caught with weed, too, but never anything harder than that.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2019 12:39 PM

She's just another severely damaged former child performer.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2019 12:42 PM

No, OP. Britney didn't last long enough to leave any enduring legacy. She was of her time and most young people these days don't give her any attention, just like Madonna. At least Madonna's discography has less fluff than Britney's.

Marilyn died 57 years ago and she's still relevant. There are hundreds, yes, HUNDREDS, of MM biographies and counting. She's not dated because each generation "discovers" her. Very few people have such longevity (James Dean, Elvis). When succeeding generations pay attention to you, you become something greater than a nostalgia act that fades as the older generations die out.

And dying young a long time ago is no guarantee - today's fan base for Jean Harlow or Rudolph Valentino or Carole Lombard can hardly be called numerous.

Another thing – this naming of a blonde celeb as the new Marilyn is hackneyed. Whether by choice or by photographer's decision, the derivative imitation of her by famous women (Britney, Christina Aguilera, Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Gwen Stefani, Mariah Carey, Scarlett Johansson, Charlize Theron, Candace Swanepoel, Eva Herzigova, Anna Nicole Smith, Jayne Mansfield, Mamie Van Doren, Amber Heard, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, various Kardashians) clearly reveals something: nobody did Marilyn (the persona) better than Norma Jeane.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2019 12:44 PM

Shitney is a talentless slut.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2019 12:55 PM

r12 How is Britney Spears in anyway comparable to Whitney??? Whitney had 15 years of acclaim and an accomplished career before she went of the rails. She’s still herald as a Pop Icon and Legend. Many of her songs, particularly I Wanna Dance with Somebody are still popular with today’s youth. She’s more comparable to Elvis and Judy Garland than Britney Spears and you wouldn’t say that only Fat Elvis and 60s Judy Garland are only remembered. Her 0re-2000 and Post-2000 personas are still both strongly there in the public’s memory and the media. In fact, I think she has regained much of the respect she lost in the last decade of her life in the last few years which bodes well for her legacy. Whitney also had a timeless talent which can’t be said of Britney Spears.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2019 1:08 PM

Poor Britney what the hell happened? Seriously? It’s like those people who took acid and never came back. The Britney I grew up with who was soo huge in the late 90s early 00s went away and never came back. Her mind is not the same..all that’s left of her is choreography. Her legacy is the memory of her to the people that grew up in that era. It’s a narrow window. But it’s almost as though artists after the 80s are unable to sustain careers. The fame is too big and bad things happen to stars who approach Madonna levels of success..Britney, Gaga, Kylie..At least Beyoncé, Rihanna and Katy are still going strong.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2019 1:13 PM

R17, I was strictly referring to her persona when making the Whitney reference. Yes, Whitney is remembered as being a legend as she should be. But most people now who weren't born in the 80s or early 90s will remember her as "crack is wack" Whitney rather than Clive Davis's Whitney (the one who was presented as straight edge and always wearing fancy gowns). Britney was very different pre-2007 than afterwards. Those who are very young may remember some of her songs like "Toxic" but she will also be remembered as being a robot, not as the perky chick in the "Baby one more time" video.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2019 1:16 PM

She made some catchy pop music, had a mental breakdown, the press and the public were cruel to her during that time, and now everyone regrets it and sees her as a poor, sad victim. Though she is now only a shell of who she was before. She has a sad feeling about her and a lost, empty look in her eyes. She is like a zombie now. Life hasn't been kind to her and I get the feeling she wishes she could take it all back and never become famous.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2019 1:19 PM

She was broken. Fame at a young age is soo dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2019 1:28 PM

She sucked beyond her first 2 albums, just another pop tart

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 1:32 PM

I liked the blackout album. I think when artists feel like they’ve reached their full potential or maximum fame, they just loose interest. When Whitney was on Oprah in 2009 she said she thought she had done it all after the Bodyguard and the Bodyguard soundtrack because I will always love you was so huge. I think the only reason Madonna has managed to maintain a career is because of her insatiable need for fame, relevancy and endless jealousy of whoever’s on top. Britney was also a very sweet girl and the music industry is not for sweet girls. Why didn’t any famous guy should want her after Justin? She would have faired better had she married a famous and successful dude to ground her in her fame.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2019 1:48 PM

The bitch is 38 now.

Her career is OVAH.

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2019 1:53 PM

You can't take away britney's legacy. She is one of the biggest selling female artist of all time. And all mostly within a 5 year period. I think Britney will truly remembered as the poster child of when MTV showed videos, and connected to when music videos and sex became the the primary mechanism to sell music.

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 2:51 AM

r25, actually that should read-- Britney is one of the biggest selling artist of all time. Combined Queen Bey's total album sells and they don't even compare to Britney.

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2019 2:52 AM

Anyone who compares Britney Spears to Marilyn Monroe needs to be horse-whipped.

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2019 2:55 AM

I like some of her songs but generally speaking I’m not into pop music or pop culture silliness. A dear friend of mine worships Britney, his favorite singer of all time. I didn’t realize just how special she is to him. I made a crack about one of her comeback performances. She was “singing” Gimme More at the VMAs. You had to feel embarrassed for her. But my friend called me heartless for criticizing Britney.

Judge for yourself...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2019 3:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!