Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Bag Your Own Groceries? Or Do You Make The Cashier Do It?

Discuss

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2019 9:09 PM

As much as possible, I try to bag my own stuff. I always bring my own bags. But some stores are very insistent in putting everything in those stupid little plastic bags, before they put them in your cloth bag. And the baggers at my store usually have some sort of mild disability, and I don't want to correct them when they're doing what they've been taught to do.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 1:50 AM

Why on earth would I bag my own groceries? My only job is to swipe my card.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 1:50 AM

I'd rather get in and out as quickly as possible. If it is easy for me to bag my own groceries I'll certainly do that rather than waiting on the cashier to do it.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 1:56 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 1:57 AM

I just came back from a grocery store I've never been to

A few people ahead of me had their own bags. But they laid out certain items on the counter, next to a specific bags- and expected the cashier to put those items in each specific bag

I never saw that before.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 1:58 AM

It depends. I always bring my own bag and sometimes it throws them off their game. If it’s faster to let them do it, I let them. Usually the older ladies prefer to bag as they go and it’s done before I can whip out my bag.

Sometimes they do an excellent job fitting everything perfectly and efficiently and I compliment them. When someone has to deal with some real cunty customers, it’s nice to hear you’re doing a good job.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2019 2:00 AM

I do self checkout so by default I bag my own.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2019 2:05 AM

I bag my own and ring up my own, just to work the last nerves of some prissy eldergay who thinks someone else should ring and pack her groceries and pump her gas....but also wants everything to cost exactly the same it did in 1979.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2019 2:12 AM

In busy urban groceries the expectation is that customers bag their own groceries so the cashier can keep ringing up orders and not be bothered with bagging. In more leisurely suburban markets the cashiers are trained to ring up and bag orders themselves, and they do it so quickly and efficiently that you only get in their way if you try to help.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2019 2:13 AM

I do self check out when possible but the store where I shop the most the lines with cashiers are set up so the cashier scans the item and puts them directly in the bag, so it wouldn't be possible for me to bag my own.

Pictured is not my store but same set up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2019 2:18 AM

I’m an American citizen. I pay my taxes. I’ll be damned if I’ll bag my own groceries like some sort of gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2019 2:19 AM

I bag mine because I'm a phobic freak. Raw chicken does not go in the same bag as salad mix. I have tried to rely on the store's training of their employees; and I have been disappointed many times.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2019 2:26 AM

Make the cashier do it? How does that work? I've only ever been in stores that were either one or the other. It's either set up for you to bag your own or for either the cashier or bagger to do it. I've found that people bagging their own takes longer and then you run into the situation where they are throwing the next person's stuff down the belt before you're done. At some point, I'm just going to start taking whatever comes my way while I'm still bagging. Maybe they'll stop pulling that shit.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2019 2:26 AM

Bag my own. My first job was as a cashier in a supermarket and it is not fun or easy. They have my sympathy and I want to help. It also saves time.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2019 2:29 AM

[QUOTE] My first job was as a cashier in a supermarket and it is not fun or easy.

Perish the thought: a job that isn’t fun or easy. I think we’ve spotted a Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2019 2:36 AM

In California we pay for bags or bring our own. Most people bring their own and most stores bag it for you.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2019 2:37 AM

Cashiers cash and baggers bag.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2019 2:40 AM

Alan Partridge bagged groceries for a day. He seemed to really enjoy it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2019 2:42 AM

I don't work there. Why should i?

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2019 3:35 AM

HISSS!

HISSS!

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2019 3:52 AM

are there still supermarkets where they hire high school boys to bag groceries.?

was quite common in the south decades ago. and not only bag them, but take them to your car

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2019 3:54 AM

I worked as a grocery bagger and would take groceries to people's cars in the early 2000s while in highschool r21.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 4:02 AM

So, young people no longer have jobs and, from the other thread, now hate cash. Well, that's going to work out well for them.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2019 4:26 AM

Me? Bag my own groceries. Who the fuck do you think I am?

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2019 4:28 AM

No, R15....I am older Gen X. And it was far from my only crap job. No reason not to help each other. 😊

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2019 8:45 PM

I never bad my groceries if I go through regular checkout. Not sorry about it. Why should I be? If, by any slim chance, I get the feeling that the cashier is waiting for me to bag my shit, I just wait until they get the hint that they're bagging it up. BUT, I try to use self checkout as much as possible.

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2019 9:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!