Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you know anyone who owns a Rolex?

Just curious.

It seems every other well off guy I meet is wearing one.

by Anonymousreply 85December 7, 2019 8:29 PM

Yes, I have a Rolodex.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2019 9:25 PM

My father has one. No one else I know even wears a watch.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2019 9:30 PM

I have a friend who likes to collect them and sure he has more than 20. A turn off when he points out that he is wearing one. Why would someone do that? I have a nice Muvado (was a gift) and when asked I confirm that it is and change the subject.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2019 9:33 PM

Are watches relevant in the 21st century?

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2019 9:38 PM

What R2 said. Watches are like corsets or spats. No one wears them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2019 9:47 PM

Not true, R5. Now that watches are unnecessary, they are increasingly becoming status symbols. No one wears them now for their main function -- telling time -- rather, they wear them to show off what they have, so the high-end watched become more in demand.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2019 9:52 PM

I don't see it R6. Rolexes were always status symbols. Now it's a Tesla or Burning Man or whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2019 9:55 PM

I do. Several people in fact. I am friends with one of the official photographers of the brand. I don't like them watches. They ugly and tacky. I had one for a while. A very cool Rolex/Tudor from 1966. Cost an eye every other year in maintenance. I sold it on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2019 10:19 PM

My single, "playboy" Uncle, Ma's brother, owned five rolexes, three Patek Philippes a couple of Piagets. He visited Vegas a lot, was quite successful at the craps table. He was 82 when he died and I got one of his Rolexes. It's a collector's item.Platinum.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2019 10:22 PM

My ex had several. One day he showed me a box with one in it that looked just like his. Yep, it was a gift for his cousin. ..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2019 10:23 PM

Most people with watches now are digital/phone watches. An old school one? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2019 10:25 PM

I have a Submariner. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2019 10:47 PM

To anyone who owns one, or knows someone; are you or they afraid to wear it?

You're wearing thousands of dollars on your wrist. Bang into something and it's now scratched or dented.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2019 11:00 PM

Yes- a 50th birthday gift from his wife.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2019 11:12 PM

R13 sapphire glass. Lol

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2019 11:19 PM

My brother bought a Rolex off a card table in Times Square. When he got home we looked at it closely. It actually said “Bolex”.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2019 11:23 PM

My cousin at a recent family reunion: "Do you want to see my new Rolex?"

Me: "Nice fake."

Cousin: "How do you know it's a fake?"

Me: "Other than the fact that you are wearing it?"

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2019 12:07 AM

Wow, you sure showed him what a cunt YOU are, r17!

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2019 12:20 AM

JC, this site is becoming flooded with thirsty entitled bitches fantasizing over spreading their legs in the air for money...

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2019 12:28 AM

My grandmother bought me one as a graduation gift. I wore it twice before it was stolen when I was mugged leaving the old Tavern On The Green.

I wouldn’t buy another but if I did, I would buy a used one and not a new one from a jeweler.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2019 12:35 AM

I wear a watch every day. I guess Im a fossil . I feel naked without one,and yes I have an i-phone.Im not dragging that bitch out of my pocket when I want to know what time it is.Also,youd be surprised how many times Ive been asked what time it is.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2019 12:40 AM

My dad's caregiver has a Rolex. Years ago she dated/had a kid for a big time drug dealer.

She has all this real designer shit I could never afford in this lifetime, but she's an absolute peach and she tells me the coolest stories all the time. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 12:45 AM

Great to hear from 1985.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2019 12:46 AM

Do you know anyone who owns a Rolls Royce?

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2019 12:53 AM

[quote]My brother bought a Rolex off a card table in Times Square. When he got home we looked at it closely. It actually said “Bolex”.

Those are still out there, but be careful, there are some VERY high quality fakes. on the market these days. I'm talking exact copies made in the most advanced watch factories in the world that have the same movement, same case, same everything as the real thing for less than 1/10th the price.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2019 12:56 AM

I have one I inherited. I think it's from the 70s. It's stainless with a blue and red face and a bowed crystal. I don't wear it. I just keep it locked up in a safe with other junk. It's probably from the less expensive collection but it's a nice piece of memorabilia from family long past. I should get it appraised. Despite its lack of precious metals or stones, its brand and aesthetic might be desirable in the market. No idea.

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2019 1:02 AM

I bought one in the 80's in Venice Beach. Turned green in a week, Still have it.

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2019 1:03 AM

I have an Omega. Doesn't work and I wouldn't wear it if it did, but I take it out and look at it once in awhile. A gift from my dad.

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2019 1:05 AM

[quote] I'm talking exact copies made in the most advanced watch factories in the world that have the same movement, same case, same everything as the real thing for less than 1/10th the price.

That's a bad thing?? It sounds like a great bargain.

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2019 1:06 AM

Asian men with short dicks often brags about their super cars or their luxury watches. Most of the watches are Rolex, Patek or Piaget. But you can buy grade A copies from China these days, so it's kinda pointless and unappealing to even mention them.

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2019 1:06 AM

I always find Rolexes ugly. I would be impressed by an Omega--or even by a Hamilton, which is not cheap but much cheaper than an Omega--but Rolexes are unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2019 1:08 AM

A Cartier tank watch is so much more tasteful than a Rolex...

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2019 1:16 AM

R26 here. I checked the make. I have a Rolex 1970 GMT Master 1675 valued at up to $13k. That's fucking obscene. It's not even nice looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2019 1:17 AM

r13 cars cost far more than a Rolex and if you bang into something it gets scratched and dented but it doesn't keep you from driving it.

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2019 1:24 AM

Many of my students have rolexes.

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2019 1:25 AM

Remember when these wrist saucers were the rage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2019 1:28 AM

Me.

It was my grandfather's from the early 60s and my uncle didn't want it so I was next in line.

I rarely wear it-- I have an Apple watch and prefer the functionality that offers for day to day. Mostly wear it for "occasions"-- weddings, bnai mitzvot, charity events--anything that requires getting dressed up.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2019 1:33 AM

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2019 1:34 AM

Wow, we have an actual Bangladeshi spammer posting links to a spam dating site!

It's like we're a real site now!

(Or someone has a weird sense of humor)

But block R38 just to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2019 1:37 AM

R37 What's a bnai mitzvot? I could google but I'd rather not as I'm lazy like most goyim. ;)

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2019 1:44 AM

Plural for bar and bat mitzvahs R40

I bet you drink like a fish too ;)

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2019 1:47 AM

My best friend from college has a beautiful Rolex. I don't know which model it is, but it has a blue face. He bought it when we took a trip together to Hong Kong, about 35 years ago. I joked that he has to leave it to me in his will. He told me a few years ago that he did, indeed, leave it for me in his will, which touched me greatly. I will most certainly die before he does -- I have terminal cancer -- but his gesture was incredibly sweet.

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2019 1:50 AM

My dad collects them. He has about 15 to 20 or so (varying from stainless Submariners to solid gold Daytonas and even some "dress" watches by Rolex). He is also a Republican prick (generally speaking) and not the nicest of men - although I obviously love him despite the fact. The one thing that he always said (and he is very wise with this statement) is that Rolex's appreciate in value in a way that no other (almost) jewelry ever does. So far, I believe him and have seen the investment value. I love him/hate him but when he passes - I will not keep these ugly watches. He has other collections that I will keep around to remind me of him - but not those big, clunky Rolexes.

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2019 1:56 AM

I have a stainless oyster perpetual date from the 70’s. I bought used because it’s so beautiful. I had it cleaned and the crystal replaced and it keeps perfect time. I honestly do like the snob appeal, but it’s only 34 mm case size so no one really notices it but me.

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2019 1:59 AM

No, I'm poor. And I wouldn't want one, either, since I've been mugged. The idea of someone robbing me of thousands of dollars just for walking down the street makes me queasy. I carry cash, and wear a cheap watch, but I won't get too upset over losing those things: the mugging, itself, should remain the most hurtful thing.

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2019 2:15 AM

I had owned two of the less expensive models that I had bought on my own. When my uncle died, my aunt gave me one of his Rolex Presidentials that he had never worn. So now we're up to three.

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2019 2:18 AM

40 years ago when I dabbled in collecting watches (Hamiltons and Gruens, nothing in the Rolex category) my old watchmaker who worked in the Jeweler's Building in Chicago and was a true craftsman, told me that he hated working on Rolexes and considered them to be poorly engineered. He always said that an Omega was a much better watch with a movement that was better designed and manufactured to a higher standard.

by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2019 2:54 AM

I suppose this means no one here knows what a Rolodex is.

Yes, Rolexes are UGLY.

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2019 2:57 AM

Friend of mine has one.. I really don't care I don't wear a watch. Why, when my phone syncs with network time and accurate to withing 5 9's.

by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2019 3:01 AM

R42 What a fine friend. Buona fortuna.

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2019 3:05 AM

As usual more bullshit on this forum, that nobody wears watches anymore. BULLSHIT !

Yeah, I know someone who has a Rolex.

I have 6 watches, but no Rolex watches.

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2019 3:11 AM

I work in a very upscale club and most men have one. They don't wear it everyday, they usually reserve it for high class functions, sort of a piece of jewelry rather than an everyday thing.

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2019 3:26 AM

My Mom had a tiny Omega watch of pink gold. My dad bought it in the nineteen fifties and she wore it for 40 years. He also wore Omegas, one of which I have. It’s handsome with a rice bracelet and day date. I think I should have it cleaned but I’m afraid of the cost. My parents thought a Rolex was like a Cadillac, ostentatious. The watch from my Dad is a SeaMaster, I think. It’s probably close to 50 years old and still looks very nice though it probably has nominal value.

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2019 3:34 AM

My parents gave me a Rolex Submariner as a college graduation present. I've worn it virtually every day for 35 years, and traveled with it all around the world. For all its high resale value, it doesn't keep the best time. I am not of the monied class, and don't look/act rich, so most of the time salespeople don't give me a second glance –But in fancy stores when snooty salesmen see a Rolex they come running. It's pathetic, but true... I'll keep wearing it for the sentimental value until one of us stops functioning. These days it's an even-money bet which it will be... ;)

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2019 4:05 AM

Feels like an anchor on your wrist. Don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2019 4:11 AM

Yes several. I someday would like to own the Rolex “Pepsi” GMT, with a sapphire bezel

by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2019 4:11 AM

True @R55

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2019 4:13 AM

I love luxury watches and have a small collection (3 Panerai, 2 IWC, 1 Jaeger) ranging in price from USD6k to USD50k each (from a simple chronograph to a perpetual calendar with moon phases and 7-day power reserve). I consider them jewels, rather than watches (and frankly, my Apple Watch is more accurate in terms of time keeping). They are beautiful objects to look at, and there is something about these mechanical movements that I find fascinating. Some of my watches have a “skeleton” back, meaning a sapphire glass you can see the movement through. I could admire all these little cogs and wheels turning for hours. I don’t wear them to show off. I love the craftsmanship that’s gone into them.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2019 4:35 AM

[quote] It’s handsome with a rice bracelet and day date.

I'd be careful. Bracelets made from rice are not very sturdy.

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2019 4:47 AM

Baubles, bangles, hear how they jing, jinga-linga

Baubles, bangles, bright shiny beads

Sparkles, spangles, your heart will sing, singa-linga

Wearing baubles, bangles and beads

I'll glitter and gleam so

Make somebody dream so that

Some day he may buy me a ring, ringa-linga

I've heard that's where it leads

Wearing baubles, bangles, and beads

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2019 4:50 AM

R47 my watchmaker says the same thing. He's been working since 1969 and said if he ever owned a watch again it would be one of the Omega 56x calibers and never a Rolex.

by Anonymousreply 61December 4, 2019 1:56 PM

The new Rolex designs are ugly. I appreciate the improvements they've made to the movements, but the cases and dials are awful.

If I had the money I'd buy a really nice condition 1803 Day-Date. Preferably with a folding buckle bracelet rather than the hidden clasp bracelet.

by Anonymousreply 62December 4, 2019 2:04 PM

I have a stainless/gold Submariner that I inherited from my father, and he received it as a gift from a long-time client. I don't wear it much because my Apple Watch makes it easier to get my wife's messages and calls. I recently got it serviced at the bargain place for $400 (versus $800 at the fancy place). I also have a separate insurance policy on it. The real problem is that when I'm the one wearing it, it looks fake. Sigh....

by Anonymousreply 63December 5, 2019 1:55 AM

I have a Swatch. Several actually.

by Anonymousreply 64December 5, 2019 1:59 AM

My dad died during the recession of 2008(?) and at that time he had a number of high-priced watches. Watches that he had willled to me, but my mother would not give them to me because she knew I was going to sell them because I had just lost my job at the same time because of this very recession.

So I asked her, would you rather have some physical objects of my dad, or will you pay me the value of said watches so I could live my life? She caved and gave me 2 vintage Rolex, an Omega, a Mavado and some other brands . I sold all of them and was able to live off the proceeds for year while i looked for a job. She later admitted that it was a smart thing for me to do, being unemployed and selling $50,000 worth of vanity objects, that i don’t even wear (the watches) was more important than being unemployed and broke.

by Anonymousreply 65December 5, 2019 5:26 AM

"I have a nice Muvado (was a gift) and when asked I confirm that it is and change the subject."

While R3 is basking in his false humility, he can't even get the spelling of his watch right.

Movado. And they're hardly a luxury watch on par with Rolex. The higher end Movado watches are only about $600.

by Anonymousreply 66December 5, 2019 12:25 PM

Watches are perfectly fine as accessory items, like jewelry. It's certainly a tacky thing to take your phone out if you want to check the time if you're out at a formal occasion, for instance. Having a Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso or a Cartier tank on your wrist is a lot classier than whipping out your iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 67December 5, 2019 12:45 PM

Does your wife know you're on Datalounge, R63?

by Anonymousreply 68December 5, 2019 12:50 PM

LOL. Was wondering that too R68, but I'm guessing R63 is a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 69December 5, 2019 1:29 PM

I was wondering if R63 is a lesbian who wears her dead father's watch, or did her father wear a woman's Rolex, which was a gift from his client?

by Anonymousreply 70December 5, 2019 1:36 PM

^Either of those assumptions makes more sense than a straight man on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 71December 5, 2019 1:37 PM

I have two. Mid 20th century. I don't wear them because they were fitted for my young, slim wrists and I can't be bothered with the expense of serving them anyway. I guess I should sell them but sentimental value.

by Anonymousreply 72December 5, 2019 2:11 PM

R33 here. Are there any jewelers or watch experts who can advise me on how I can properly date my Rolex watch? I thought mine was 1970 but my sister thinks it might be '65 or '66 which might more than double the value to $26k to $30k. That is vulgar and disgusting for a stupid ugly watch - at least to my unpretentious middle class self.

Not interested in blowing $250 on a professional appraisal so any suggestions for properly dating it are appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 73December 6, 2019 8:47 PM

R33 There's a serial number between the lugs that can give a close idea of when the watch was produced.

by Anonymousreply 74December 6, 2019 8:54 PM

i hate apple, so i am going to start wear my watches again. Rolex is to expensive to wear. I would sell. If there is sentiment value, pass down to your heirs with the story.

by Anonymousreply 75December 6, 2019 9:03 PM

R73 Thank you so much. I'll google what exactly a lug is and move forward accordingly.

Thanks again. You've been very helpful and I'm most appreciative.

by Anonymousreply 76December 6, 2019 9:07 PM

^^^sorry, I messed that up. My thanks are directed to R74.

by Anonymousreply 77December 6, 2019 9:09 PM

R76 You're welcome. Most competent watchmakers can remove the bracelet, (if your watch still has one) and give you the numbers which you can look up online.

by Anonymousreply 78December 6, 2019 9:11 PM

[quote]My dad died during the recession of 2008(?) and at that time he had a number of high-priced watches. Watches that he had willled to me, but my mother would not give them to me because she knew I was going to sell them because I had just lost my job at the same time because of this very recession

Don't you KNOW what your father WENT THROUGH to leave those watches to you???!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 6, 2019 9:16 PM

I'm not rich enough to wear a Rolex and be carefree about it. (I'd be worried about getting mugged or about accidentally damaging it.) Therefore, I'd sell it and enjoy the money.

by Anonymousreply 80December 6, 2019 10:02 PM

[quote] Asian men with short dicks often brags about their super cars

Some of you bitches are quite fortunate the “Oh Dear” Troll is at Gay Marriage Encounter with his husband, Conor, developing a more open, honest, and forgiving relationship, and therefore not available to read you to filth.

by Anonymousreply 81December 6, 2019 10:09 PM

"...read you to filth..."?

by Anonymousreply 82December 7, 2019 2:22 AM

I have a yacht master. I bought it in 1997. I love it, but don’t wear it much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 83December 7, 2019 2:33 AM

The original YMs are very popular right now R83 if you decide to sell.

by Anonymousreply 84December 7, 2019 1:26 PM

This thread inspired me to buy a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. I've wanted one for years because I love the Hamilton brand, and I need a very simple watch for work (you can't check smartphones surreptitiously very easily to see the time when you're in a meeting, but you can check a watch). I wanted a simple one that was automatic (i.e. does not require a battery that needs changing) and has a sapphire crystal that won;t break, and this is it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 7, 2019 8:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!