Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If Savannah, Charleston and New Orleans are the 3 southern cousins,

who are the 3 northern cousins?

by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2019 8:17 PM

Albany, Syracuse, and Buffalo?

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2019 8:19 PM

Newark, Long Island and Providence.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2019 8:23 PM

Boston, New York, Philadelphia

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2019 8:36 PM

R3, the OP was looking for cities with charm.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2019 9:07 PM

No Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2019 10:38 PM

New Orleans likes to think of itself as totally unlike anywhere else. In it's universe, Charleston and savannah would be more like cleaning women than cousins, and of those two only Charleston seems like a real city. Savannah is like a pretty little girl who grew-up and got fat and a little ugly.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2019 10:43 PM

What r3 said. Those were the first major cities in America.

In the first American census back in 1790, the biggest three cities were New York, Philadelphia and Boston. They are shared history to the founding of America.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2019 10:52 PM

The Twin Cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul!

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2019 11:53 PM

Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh- the blue collar cousins....

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2019 3:15 AM

Chicago would need to go with other midwestern cities r5.

Probably Chicago, Milwaukee and Indianoplis would be a good threesome.

They have a shared history and culture. By the time Chicago came along NY, Boston and Philly were already two centuries old.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2019 3:35 AM

I’d agree with Boston, New York and Philadelphia. Chicago is different.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2019 4:08 AM

Scranton, Pittsburgh and Allentown

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2019 4:29 AM

Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles are the 3 Western Cousins.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2019 4:44 AM

Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Milwaukee are the German triplets

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2019 5:22 AM

Cooperstown, Springfield, and Canton are the Hall of Fame triplets: baseball, basketball, and football

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2019 5:24 AM

Albany, Harrisburg, and Trenton are the political ghetto triplets.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2019 5:24 AM

New York City, Boston, Philly.

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2019 5:38 AM

Although Baltimore and Philly are similar so too.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2019 5:39 AM

Are they cousins who speak to each other?

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2019 2:53 PM

Hartford, Worcester, Manchester, NH.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2019 3:09 PM

I disagree R13, All three of those cities are way too different. IMO I would say Seattle, Portland and Vancouver,BC are the three cousins of the North west coast, and L.A., San Diego, and San Jose are the cousins of the South West Coast. San Francisco is its own thing. Las Vegas, Phoenix and Albuquerque are the Southwest cousins, and Salt Lake City, Denver and (perhaps?) Boise would be the Rocky Mountain cousins.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2019 3:51 PM

R21 Denver, Salt Lake City and Calgary would more accurate. Boise is too small.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 3:57 PM

R17 NEw York has no "cousins." New York is an only child, no siblings, no aunts and uncles, no cousins. A Singular, unique entity.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2019 4:24 PM

Montreal, Boston and (specifically) Manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2019 4:26 PM

Houston, San Antonia, Dallas make up the Texas cousins.

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2019 4:27 PM

The Great Lakes cousins: Chicago, Toronto and Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2019 4:29 PM

Cousin cities?

1) Providence, Boston, and Portland ME

2) Troy, Albany, and Schenectady

3) Harrisburg, Lancaster, and York

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2019 4:34 PM

R24 Montreal is like a friendlier, french-speaking third cousin of NY and Boston. San Francisco really is its own thing ( architecture ,climate and even culture) . R23 not really, there are still too many similarities between NYC, Boston and Philadelphia ( history, culture, architecture, attitude, language, climate).

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2019 4:34 PM

R26 Detroit is too run-down, poor, dangerous and ugly . I think Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland and Toronto are the great lake cousins.

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2019 4:37 PM

R29, i thought Detroit didn't fit either but it is the third largest great lakes city.

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2019 4:41 PM

R28, funny you say that, when I was in Quebec City, I told my uber driver we were in Montreal for a few days before QC. He said he didn't like Montreal because he felt it was dirty and run-down but he LOVED Boston and far preferred it to Montreal. Historically, many French Canadians have moved to Massachusetts/Boston, so there is a shared history there.

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2019 4:43 PM

R31 Any city is dirty compared to Quebec City. However, Montreal is NOT dirtier than Boston, that is absolutely ridiculous. That being said, I'm not suprised the cab driver likes Boston better. Boston has prettier architecture , has more character, has a nice seashore, and has a better climate.

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2019 4:52 PM

R32, I haven't been to Boston but I found Montreal pretty clean, especially the subway. And i only saw one crazy person on it the whole time I was there. In Chicago, I see at least two or three crazy people on the El per day. Based on pictures, I actually like Montreal's architecture more than Boston's. And I think Montreal has a ton of character.

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2019 5:04 PM

R33 I'm familiar with both cities. Lived in Boston and have been to Montreal many times. Montreal, like pretty much any Canadian city, is much cleaner than practically any American city. The Montreal Metro is spotless and puts Boston's T to shame. Vieux (old) Montreal has lovely architecture, but it is concentrated in only one part of town, whereas Boston has nice colonial architecture throughout the metropolitan area. As far as character goes, Montreal does have character but unfortunately it still suffers a little bit from that Canadian blandness that other Canadian cities have ( Though it still has more character than any other Canadian city except Quebec City).

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2019 5:20 PM

Miami is like the love child of Jacksonville and San Juan

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2019 6:09 PM

Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh as a whole are more alike than Savannah, Charleston and New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2019 7:38 PM

Savannah, Charleston and New Orleans share a long history as old southern port cities. They were the major cities of the south in the early stages of our country (or "deep south", ignoring VA/MD)

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2019 7:45 PM

Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo - hollowed out industrial rust belt cities

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2019 7:48 PM

Los Angeles, Tijuana and Mexico City

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2019 7:52 PM

Miami, San Juan and Havana.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2019 7:59 PM

R29 Toronto is a midwest city that desperately wishes to be an east coast city. Sad and disappointing. Reminds me of Meghan Markle, who shuns her real family ( that gave her everything) to try and fit in with a family that will never really accept her. I'm not surprised she lived in Toronto before meeting Harry.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2019 8:15 PM

Wow, the Meghan Markle freaks really are something else. Trying to force a conversation about cities into being about their demented obsession. Get help r41 and quit trying to derail the thread.

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2019 8:35 PM

Fall River, Bridgeport, Camden

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2019 8:48 PM

Bedrock, Frostbite Falls, Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2019 11:34 PM

This thread is so much fun to think about. Like a little geography puzzle. Especially when you throw in some differing opinions and people give reasons for choosing a different combination.

Just to broaden the scope: St. Louis, Kansas City and the twin cities. Or should it be Twin Cities, Denver and KC?

by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2019 11:56 PM

R45, How about Minneapolis, St. Paul and Winnipeg.

by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2019 12:02 AM

The Mountain-West Siblings: Denver, Salt Lake City and Calgary.

by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2019 12:07 AM

The Geriatric Mothballed Guilded Age Resorts: Lenox, Newport, Bar Harbor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2019 1:58 AM

Twin Cities, Madison, Milwaukee

by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2019 7:10 AM

Sheboygan, Hoboken, the Catskills

by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2019 4:06 PM

Yes, R36, because the former are upcountry Scots Presbyterians vs. cosmopolitan Episcopalians and even Catholics in the port cities. Very different outlooks and outcomes.

by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2019 5:21 PM

R41, both Toronto and Chicago suffer from a "second city complex", Toronto even more than Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2019 8:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!