Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joan Fontaine was a sublime actress. Who knew ?

In the wake of the Rebecca remake, I watched this clip and was blown away. I saw the movie on TV when I was a kid and thought it was meh, but Fontaine in this clip is simply divine. I then watched the Vivien Leigh test and was shocked to see how dreadful Vivien was, especially because I always thought she was eons above anyone else in classic Hollywood. This would still be oscar worthy today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2019 2:54 PM

Vivien in the exact same scene. Shockingly atrocious. WTF ???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2019 12:43 PM

I knew.

Go back, go back go back go back.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2019 12:45 PM

The Academy knew, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2019 1:04 PM

WHO???

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2019 1:08 PM

She was a great beauty.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2019 2:03 PM

Viv was not atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2019 2:08 PM

Joan Fontaine is Christabel Kane, whom I bet was Eric Kane's vicious older sister whom niece Erica emulated. "Born to Be Bad", the epitome of delightful trashy soap opera!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2019 2:26 PM

And Serenade!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2019 2:59 PM

At 9 minutes in guest starring on "Ryan's Hope".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2019 3:08 PM

Vivien was abysmal. She clearly had no clue what she was doing. I can only assume she didn’t read the novel.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2019 4:05 PM

I didn't think Viv was bad but I do love Fontaine

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2019 4:07 PM

Joan Fontaine was a bitch

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2019 4:08 PM

Vivian was a brilliant actress. She was no shrinking flower and she couldn't play one. Her natural strong spirit kept wanting to come out and it was all wrong for that part. She gave it a good try though.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2019 4:24 PM

Viv was too beautiful for the role.

Fontaine, although lovely, was able to pull off the mousey look with ease.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2019 5:26 PM

"Vivian was a brilliant actress. She couldn't play a character different from her own."

Hm, I see what you did there.

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2019 5:32 PM

I read in Fontaine's autobio that Leigh and herself swapped flats in the early sixties. Fontaine asked if she could have Leigh's RollsRoyce removed from the garage to Park her own car and Leigh said no, so in retaliation Fontaine sent Leigh's maid and cat away, saying that the flat was reeking of cat piss. Vivien went on tour in South America and left her luggage at Fontaine's in NYC for another YEAR. Fontaine was furious. When she finally went back to London, she declared her collection of watches stolen and called the cops on Fontaine, who was investigated by Scotland Yard. (Interestingly, the collection of watches turned out at Christies Auction 2 years ago...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2019 5:37 PM

Why the hell would they swap flats? Fontaine was equally as beautiful as Leigh. Her mousiness was a result of ACTING.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2019 2:30 AM

R17 stars were doing that to save money when they were shooting abroad (incredibly cheap, I know) the burtons and the bogarts did it,, someone remarked to burton and sibyl that the double ' B' on the doormat of their NYC flat was a little too much, and burton replied that it was for' ' bogey and betty' ', peter finch and liz taylor/wilding era, garbo and dietrich/Gabin, (that's how they found out that Garbo was marking the bottles), claudia cardinale and liz taylor, et c.. It was very common practice, same level of maintenance, and the staff wasn't paid for nil.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2019 7:11 AM

"Fontaine was equally as beautiful as Leigh."

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2019 10:43 PM

The Second Mrs. Winters? I think not.

Vivien was who I always have in mind when I think of how Rebecca looked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2019 10:58 PM

Nobody was ' equally as beautiful as Leigh'.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2019 10:59 PM

I know this is the height of MARY!, but Fontaine was always one of those actresses that I've championed mostly because I think they didn't get enough credit. Or have enough fans, or something. One who I felt never got enough respect so they'd become, ipso facto, a favorite. Eleanor Parker, Dorothy McGuire, Miriam Hopkins are others.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 11:49 PM

I always felt she was playing the same character in "Rebecca" and "Suspicion". Not much range.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2019 12:21 AM

She was very, very good in ' letter from un unknown woman'. Oh, and R23= Olivia d'

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 5:45 AM

[quote]Vivien was who I always have in mind when I think of how Rebecca looked.

I always pictured Ava Gardner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 6:10 AM

Such a missed opportunity not having Fontaine and OdH in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2019 6:11 AM

I was way too young for the part. I could only have played the Child actress then.

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2019 7:03 AM

Joan played the same person in every film- just older. The sexless blonde with the vague smile and the mid-Atlantic accent.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2019 7:20 AM

Hi Olivia..

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2019 7:28 AM

I always pictured "The Wicked Lady", aka Margaret Lockwood, who could be feisty but decent ("The Lady Vanishes") or downright evil. Her Gainsborough films of the 1940's ("Wicked Lady", "The Man in Grey", to name a few) are deliciously fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2019 2:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!