Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mick Jagger: sultry, enigmatic, an electrifying performer

Can we gossip about this middle-class London lad who went on to front the world's greatest rock band? You always hear about Keef and his bad-boy ways. What about Mick??

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2019 3:07 AM

Are you posting from 1985?

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2019 11:33 PM

"Old Habits Die Hard" by Mick Jagger with Dave Stewart and Sheryl Crow is on the December 2004 Gap In-Store Playlist!

Happy Holidays!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2019 11:43 PM

He graduated from the LSE!

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2019 11:57 PM

He couldn't sing for shit, but he was a hell of a performer!

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2019 12:46 AM

No, he's posting from 2019. Wake up (in more ways than one)

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2019 2:09 AM

R5, the adults are talking.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2019 2:54 AM

R3, he attended the LSE, but dropped out when it was clear that the band was going to take off.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2019 3:09 AM

He killed bandmate Brian Jones out of jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2019 3:14 AM

Sybaritic, enormously egotistical wisp of a man who is one of the greatest performers of the past century. Vain and prone to rock star excess, while known as loyal to family and friends. Notoriously frugal to point of obsession, despite large wealth. Said to be highly intelligent and practical according to the many who've worked with him in music and business. Affectionate partner/lover/mate, whilst notoriously unfaithful; loyal and surprisingly traditional father to large group of children by several women.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2019 3:16 AM

r9 - right on all accounts. (I've been a Stones fan for 50+ years, and I know people who know Mick.)

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2019 3:18 AM

Unfortunately treated his female partners quite shabbily: drove Marianne Faithful to drugs and suicide attempts; helped drive L'Wren Scott to her self-inflicted death. The latter death particularly galling as it came after more than a decade together.

Poorly treated Marsha Hunt, mother of his eldest child, and refused to acknowledge their child for many years. She had to take him to US court to get any meaningful child support after taking welfare payments, while he jet-setted. Was so awfully cheap to Jerry Hall after two decades of partnership, he refused to acknowledge their Balinese marriage vows as legal, effectively declaring their 'marriage' null and void and their four children illegitimate, mostly to save on having to pay her support.

So cheap his legal team drew up elaborate agreement re ownership of his main UK house in Richmond-on-Thames in the split with Jerry, allowing her only to live there until their youngest turned 18 and then turning her out even though she'd lived there decades and raised the children there. Her next husband, Rupert Murdoch, ended up purchasing said house from Mick for fair price, after "convincing" him (read: threatening to spill private embarrassing info to his papers) to do so.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2019 3:24 AM

R10 give us some scoop.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2019 3:29 AM

He is and always has been a creepy sleazeball.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2019 3:47 AM

[quote]Sybaritic

I misread this as "syphilitic," which is probably also true.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2019 3:48 AM

Came from a respectable middle-class family; father Joe was a noted authority on basketball and well regarded in the community.

Oddly, all of his former mates speak well of him despite what's in the news. Hunt said he's a good friend to her (and I think he paid for her cancer treatments).

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2019 12:22 PM

His children do seem to genuinely love him and none have turned into messes, which is to someone's credit...

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2019 12:23 PM

Mick Jagger isn't from London, he's from Kent. He went to my school.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2019 12:34 PM

[quote]all of his former mates speak well of him despite what's in the news

What does L'Wren have to say?

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2019 12:39 PM

Never found him attractive. His famous "guardedness" is absurd, as Keith pointed out in his book.

Javier Bardem does a superb imitation of Mick onstage.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2019 12:42 PM

saw him on tour this year, still going strong...enjoyed the gig.

He was dancing and moving around the stage like a young person, Keith Richards barely moved...and he's younger than Mick.

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2019 1:10 PM

Mick notably took better care of himself as he aged

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2019 1:20 PM

Keith may be younger than Mick but he's got a lot more miles on him.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2019 1:23 PM

Mick is fastidious about health and unlike Keefy never became a drug addict.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2019 11:31 PM

Why can't he and Keith produce any new music? WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? Too rich and too old????

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2019 11:43 PM

"...all of his former mates speak well of him despite what's in the news..."

Yeah, well, they may think it's a good idea to stay on his good side.

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2019 1:41 AM

[quote]Why can't he and Keith produce any new music? WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? Too rich and too old????

Why? They've already created some of the greatest songs in recorded history. And they make quadrillions every year, touring on their old hits. At this stage and age, why strain themselves coming up with new stuff? It would mean they'd have to go into a studio together, something I don't believe any of them would relish.

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2019 1:52 AM

r26 - they are working on a new album, but it's a slow-going process because all 4 of the principals are rarely in the same city.

r12 - Keith used to call Mick "Brenda" because he was such a prisspot. Others refer to Mick as a "great bunch of guys" meaning he puts on different personas depending who he's around. He's notoriously cheap, as others have noted, but seems to be a loving father to his children, grand kids and great-grand kids. Has slowed down a bit since his heart valve surgery last year, but is still dating a woman younger than a few of his grand kids. He's the real business man behind the Stones, and grubs for every dollar they can extract from their fans. The band sees itself as a corporation now and they work together professionally, but spend virtually no time together otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2019 3:09 AM

His first girlfriend Chrissy Shrimpton, sister of model Jean Shrimpton, also attempted suicide after he broke up with her. He refused to pay for her subsequent hospital stay.

I would say he's a very nice guy who does awful things.

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2019 3:28 AM

His obsessive cheapness really has had a lot to do with most of his personal problems. That and the infidelity; although if you date/live with/marry Mick Jagger, most women would know that comes with the territory, and expect it.

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2019 12:42 AM

His mother was strict.

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2019 1:11 AM

r30 - and his father was a physical education instructor and was as rail thin as Mick. (His Dad was also completely bald on top, which makes me wonder if Mick wears a wig.)

by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2019 2:20 AM

[quote] He couldn't sing for shit, but he was a hell of a performer!

Nor can he dance. Bravo to him for earning hundreds of millions of dollars for doing his best impression of a blues singer and a very poor imitation of Tina Turner. Too bad the blues singers who influenced him were not as fortunate.

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2019 3:03 AM

he is electrifying

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2019 12:29 AM

Well....I for one am not paying hundreds of dollars for a corporate experience.

by Anonymousreply 34December 11, 2019 1:17 AM

OP = Jann Werner

by Anonymousreply 35December 11, 2019 1:20 AM

[quote]Her next husband, Rupert Murdoch, ended up purchasing said house from Mick for fair price, after "convincing" him (read: threatening to spill private embarrassing info to his papers) to do so.

So that's why she married him. She wanted someone richer than Mick who could buy her, her house. Wonder if she lives there with Murdoch.

[quote]Why can't he and Keith produce any new music? WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? Too rich and too old????

What kind of music would you like from this group of men who are all approaching EIGHTY! What do you expect them to sing about?

by Anonymousreply 36December 11, 2019 1:31 AM

[quote]Her next husband, Rupert Murdoch, ended up purchasing said house from Mick for fair price, after "convincing" him (read: threatening to spill private embarrassing info to his papers) to do so.

Bad, incorrect gossip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2019 1:33 AM

A friend of mine waited on him a year or so ago, in Nashville. The Stones weren't in town at the time, so it was odd that Mick was there. He --- or his assistant -- called the restaurant beforehand to reserve a table, and requested that no one try to have a conversation with him, which doesn't seem unreasonable. He came to restaurant and ate alone, was polite, but only left a 10% tip.

Another friend was on the road with them years ago. The tour was being sponsored by a big corporation -- I want to say Sprint? -- and my friend was responsible for driving Mick and Keith to the corporate meet and greets along the tour route. He said that they couldn't have been nicer or more considerate.

I don't think it would be easy to be Mick Jagger. I don't know how anyone could be completely normal with that kind of money and adulation, but, I think, he does as good a job as anyone.

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2019 1:59 AM

“His Dad was also completely bald on top, which makes me wonder if Mick wears a wig.”

Do you really not know how hereditary hair loss occurs? LOL

by Anonymousreply 39December 11, 2019 2:03 AM

Why is Mick so notoriously cheap?!??

by Anonymousreply 40December 14, 2019 1:25 AM

He was always ugly, but he certainly had a swagger about him.

As to his cheapness, isn't he a grad of the London School of Economics or somesuch?

He's always been a sharp operator.

by Anonymousreply 41December 14, 2019 1:52 AM

Didn't Jagger drop out of the LSE after one year?

Anyway, I'd bet my 401K that Mick wears a wig now. Even if a man of 80 has kept all his own hair, it thins out with age. Maybe some of this is actually Mick's hair, but there's definitely a wig or a weave or something going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2019 2:57 AM

I dont care for him. Freddie Mercurys music and legacy are shining brighter than Mick Jagger despite being dead for 30 years. I prefer Freddie.

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2019 3:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!