Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Edergays what major department stores were in the city/town you lived in ?

I grew up in 1960s/1970s in Orlando FL

Jordan Marsh- Colonial Plaza

Ivey's - Downtown Orlando and Winter Park

Belk Lindsey- Colonial Plaza

Jacobsen's- Winter Park

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221January 3, 2020 1:01 AM

The Denver - Denver, of course

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2019 10:11 PM

In Miami it was Burdines, Jordan Marsh and Richards.

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2019 10:14 PM

My little suburb didn't have its own department stores, but we had:

Oakland: Capwell's (flagship), Rhodes

Berkeley: Hink's

San Francisco: Macy's, The Emporium, The White House, City of Paris. Later: Liberty House

And of course Sears, JCPenney, Montgomery Ward

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2019 10:17 PM

Pasadena, Ca

I. Magnin

Bullock's Pasadena (beautiful example of a Streamline Moderne building)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2019 10:29 PM

Going "in town" to Jordans' was a big deal. Boston btw.

The blueberry muffins were a treat.

Also Gilchrists' for almond macaroons.

There was the yearly torture of navy blazers at Brooks Brothers' before Easter.

Also, as a good baby gay, shoe shopping with my mother at Bonwitts'.

She had/has big feet.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2019 10:36 PM

Seattle - The Bon Marche , Fredrick and Nelson's, Nordstroms (originally just shoes)

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2019 10:39 PM

Gimbels

Kaufmann's

Horne's

I'm going to let yinz guess where these stores were. Hint: The fictional Pearson family probably shopped at one or more.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2019 10:44 PM

The Globe Store and Scranton Dry Goods, later Oppenheimers. Samters for better men's clothing.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2019 10:45 PM

Indiana: Wolf & Dessauer, Hutner’s Paris, L.S.Ayres, Stillman’s, Nobbson’s.

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2019 10:51 PM

Montreal in the 80’s: Eaton’s, The Bay and the 2 higher end ones: Holt’s and Ogilvy’s. I just did a search and now it’s Holt Renfrew Ogilvy

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2019 10:52 PM

Buffums'

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2019 10:53 PM

R10: You also had a Simpsons until around 1991!

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2019 10:58 PM

I miss the great department stores terribly! In Chicago we had:

First and Foremont, Marshall Field & Co. Absolutely wonderful place, a wonderland back in the day! While the building is still open under the Macy name, with a few nods to the Marshall Field background, they have none of the services or high end merchandise that Field's was famous for. Another great store was Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co., along with Wieboldt's. All of these department stores had their own restaurants, some of them had multiple. Other great stores were Maurice L. Rothschild & Co., Henry Lytton & Co., of course Montgomery Ward & Co., (their downtown branch was originally the Fair Store) and Sears. On the budget end there was Goldblatt's on South State Street with their budget floor. Funny story, I worked with a guy who shopped the budget basement every lunch hour. One day he bought a toilet to install in the bathroom he was putting in the basement. Taking it home on the commuter train, there were no seats, so he plopped it down in the middle of the aisle and sat on the toilet all the way home. Heads were turning.

There were some smaller local department stores, like Gilmore's in Oak Park, and the Marshall Field branch store in Oak Park. I learned to listen to opera listening to the Metropolitan Opera of the Air with Milton Cross, sitting with my maternal grandfather in the parking lot behind Field's, while waiting for my grandmother, My paternal grandmother was a much more conservative shopper, going to little neighborhood department stores like The Cragin Department Store and Leslie's, both on Armitage Avenue. The Crawford Department Store and Madigans had moved from their original Madison Street West Side Chicago locations out to the suburbs by the time I was growing up, but I did hear stories about the old city locations.

Gone are the days when you could go to a store like Field's or Carson's and really explore, and discover things that you really couldn't find elsewhere. The clothing was first rate, and the sales staff was really well trained and taught generations of unschooled buyers the differences between different types of products, sharing their experience to their customers. A working class housewife who had come into money could go into one of those stores and be treated as a valued customer, and be gently advised on what purchases would suit them the best.

Seems today they all carry the same stuff, maybe a different label, but the only difference now is price.

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2019 10:59 PM

Neiman Marcus

Sanger Harris

Titche's

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2019 10:59 PM

Hudson’s, Jacobson’s

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2019 11:08 PM

Hahnes A&S

-New Jersey circa 1984

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2019 11:14 PM

Queens, New York... May's, Korvettes, Ohrbach's, Alexander's, A & S

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2019 11:21 PM

Foley's in Houston. I had my first job there (natch for a young gayling...) and I think I lied about my age (told 'em I was 16 when I was just 15) b/c I wanted a job to have more pocket money. Worked in the Men's dept. Learned how to fold clothes REALLY well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2019 11:27 PM

Marshall Field’s in Oak Park, IL already mentioned up thread. It closed when I was a kid, and I remember thinking it was a loss for the community. A shoe store and then Borders went in a couple years later. That’s now long gone too.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2019 11:31 PM

Madison, Wisconsin:

Madison-based Manchester's, defunct c. 1985.

Gimbel's, later Marshall Field's (RIP), currently Macy's.

Prange's, later Younker's, later Boston Store, now defunct as of 2018.

And the ubiquitous Sears and JC Penney, currently still in operation.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2019 11:45 PM

Shillito's, McAlpin's and Mabley & Carew in Cincinnati. Getting on a bus to spend the day downtown was a special event. Shillito's had a lunch counter, which looked rather fancy to me. Ladies wore white gloves and hats while shopping. There was a mezzanine with windows that looked over the sun deck at the prestigious men's club next door. If you opened the curtains, you could see the men laying out naked. Lots of giggles always followed this tidbit of information... I wonder how many ladies were brazen enough to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2019 11:49 PM

New York - Macys, Alexanders. Denver - May D&F. San Francisco - Nordstrom, Needless Markup (Nieman Marcus)....

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2019 12:00 AM

Pittsburgh: Kaufmanns/Macy's and Hornes.

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2019 12:04 AM

Boston:

Jordan Marsh and Filene's (incl. the Basement) and Woolworth's in Downtown Crossing on Washington St. All closed.

It's now a Macy's, Primark, and a Marshall's.

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2019 12:07 AM

Now who’s got some stories of the men’s room action in those suburban department stores back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2019 12:13 AM

Washington, DC: Woodward & Lothrop, Hecht’s, and of course Sears.

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2019 12:19 AM

[quote]Montreal in the 80’s: Eaton’s . . .

I say this every time a thread like this turns up, but it's always true so I'll say it again:

Damn, I miss Eaton's. It was everything a department store should be.

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2019 12:36 AM

R2, another Miami resident here in the 80's, oh man, we used to steal so much shit from Burdines. It seemed so ritzy back in the day. When I moved to Jacksonville in the late 80s, they had a Dillards, which was a new one to me.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2019 12:45 AM

Traverse City, MI was a small town when I was a kid but we had our own glamorous department store, Milliken's, owned by a local family whose son, Bill Milliken, a MODERATE, environmentally-aware Republican (now as extinct as department stores themselves) served as governor of Michigan from 1969-1983. My parents went to school with him and Mom worked the jewelry counter at Milliken's when she was young. All our school clothes were purchased there. The store had children's clothes, ladies' clothes, shoes, and accessories, china and housewares. It featured a mezzanine with books, stationary, candy, and gifts, a tea room, a bakery, and, of course, a bargain basement. The merchandise was of high quality and it was a real landmark. Unfortunately, the building is now a crappy coffee shop where tourists congregate to bellow into their cell phones. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2019 12:59 AM

London.

Harrods

Selfridges

Peter Jones

They were the three that featured in my life.

Harrods was really something. You could buy everything there. We even bought my dog there. You'd go for the day. It was an experience every time. They used to advertise "enter a different world" and it was. Londoners used it. Now it's an overpriced claustrophobic tourist shithole.

I used to have my hair cut there. Go for lunch. The bank was in there. One of the best toy shops in London. Record store. Music store. Clothes. The pet department was two whole rooms. They called it The Zoo.

& of course the groovy "Way In" on the top floor. You entered a psychedelic elevator with rock music blasting to take you there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2019 1:00 AM

I was in TN for a short time in the mid 80s, I remember a Goldsmith's Dept Store.

Also in the 80s, Bullock's in CA.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2019 1:02 AM

I concur with the comment above. I had the pleasure of living in Toronto for a while and really enjoyed Eatons, The Bay, Canadian Tire, Holt's, and Honest Ed's. I still have my Viking microwave in the kitchen, along with a Viking radio, my Hudson Bay blankets and blanket coat, and a wonderful heavy sweater from Holt Renfrew. We also can't overlook Holmes in New Orleans. Loved to go there with my aunt and uncle. Still have some things from there too. Shame all of these great stores are gone!

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2019 1:05 AM

R28 I loved Burdines.

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2019 1:13 AM

R13, thank you for such a great summary of the Chicago stores.

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2019 1:17 AM

Los Angeles Bullocks (upscale) as well as I.Magnin, Bloomingdales May Company - more middle class Ohrbachs - like an old time Mervyns located on the Miracke Mile near La Brea Tarpits towards downtown

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2019 1:22 AM

Dallas

Neiman Marcus, Sanger Harris , Titches

by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2019 1:23 AM

r35 The Ohrbach's on Wilshire is now the Petersen Automotive Museum. And the May Co. across the street is going to be the Motion Picture Academy Museum.

And you forgot the Broadway, Buffum's, and Robinson's. There weren't any Bloomingdale's in LA when I moved there in '87--they came later. There was a short-lived Bonwit Teller in Beverly Hills, and Saks and Neiman's are there as well.

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote]Washington, DC: Woodward & Lothrop, Hecht’s, and of course Sears.

You forgot Garfinckel's. And Saks and Neiman's --depending on when you were there.

by Anonymousreply 38December 2, 2019 1:30 AM

Sacramento: Weinstock's (flagship store)--they actually had two large stores three blocks apart (one had been Hale's.) Macy's.and Liberty House. JCPenney, Sears, Mervyn's. Later Gottschalk's.

by Anonymousreply 39December 2, 2019 1:31 AM

R13 I grew up in Oak Park, and Field's was the gold standard for us--Wieboldt's for everyday clothes, Sears and, for part of my childhood, Montgomery Ward's for hardware and appliances. Do you remember when Lytton's had a glass case with monkeys to keep kids entertained while moms shopped. What were we/they thinking? Wouldn't happen today--both because of animal cruelty and because parents wouldn't park their kids on their own while they shopped. Then, Oak Brook and Yorktown and, later, Woodfield Malls made local branches of stores hard to sustain.

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2019 1:35 AM

Hess Brothers in Allentown PA!

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2019 1:37 AM

Reno - Grey Reid (a local), Macys, Weinstocks, Joseph Magnin, and ubiquitous Sears, Penneys, and Wards.

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2019 1:38 AM

Houston

Besides the solidly middle-class Foley's and Joske's, there were the upscale Sakowitz and Neiman Marcus. Another exclusive store was Frost Bros.

All but NM are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2019 1:39 AM

Rockford, Illinois when it still had a downtown. D.J. Stewart. Chas V. Weise, Carson Pirie Scott, JC Penney, Sears, Rockford Dry Goods.

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2019 1:40 AM

[quote]Edergays

What are they-- queens who worship Linda Eder?

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2019 2:16 AM

Plainview Long Island A&S

Macys

Sears

Gertz

by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2019 2:18 AM

Burger-Phillips

Loveman's

Pizitz

Parisian

by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2019 2:22 AM

Sakowitz in Houston

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2019 2:39 AM

Columbus - Lazarus Cincinnati - Shillito's Dayton - Rike's, The Metropolitan

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2019 2:45 AM

I didn't see anyone mention this one, so I'll do it now: Bamberger's. My Hyacinth-clone great aunt was reported to have actually referred to Bambearzhay (long before Tar-zhay became a "thing").

by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2019 2:49 AM

Cleveland

Higbee's

Halle's (Halle Berry was named after this store)

The May Co.

by Anonymousreply 51December 2, 2019 2:49 AM

The upscale department store in North Carolina was Montaldo's, with branches in Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Raleigh. Women would drive hours to shop and get their hair done.

by Anonymousreply 52December 2, 2019 2:52 AM

Bambergers - Newark, NJ

by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2019 2:52 AM

Don't forget Gertz in Jamaica and Sloans, r17

by Anonymousreply 54December 2, 2019 2:53 AM

In Rochester, NY we had the big 3, all special and unique and all very much a part of the Rochester culture. All now gone. B. Forman Co. McCurdy and Company (McCurdy's) and the legendary Sibley, Lindsay and Curr (Sibley's) which is now Macy's in the suburban mall locations. The downtown stores are all gone.

by Anonymousreply 55December 2, 2019 3:06 AM

Kresge's, Grants, McCrory's, American Discount, Barkers, Two Guys, Bradlees, Caldors, Zayres , Ames, Railroad Salvage, and a couple of weird odd job lot type places. It was the 1970s. It sucked.

by Anonymousreply 56December 2, 2019 3:11 AM

I miss the incredible blueberry muffins only available at Jordan Marsh's downtown Boston flagship. It's such a random thing for a department store to do but their delicious warm blueberry muffins displayed in gingham lined wicker baskets were legendary. How do you create something so delicious?

by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2019 3:14 AM

In Omaha, we had Brandeis, which was bought out by Younkers in the '80s (also now defunct). Richman Gordman was another local chain before they morphed into Gordmans.

by Anonymousreply 58December 2, 2019 3:17 AM

Not really an elder, as I'm an older millennial but I remember these stores, some sadly only vaguely. Augusta, GA

Local stores J.B. White's (mid market), now Dillards, many of us in the community still mourn the loss of "our store." DL fave Mamie Eisenhower shopped here a lot when she and Ike were in town visiting Augusta National. Cullum's (upscale) Ruben's (downscale), the only one still in operation and still downtown.

Regional Belk, actually Belk-Howard, but unlike other Belk partnerships they just used the Belk's name. Davidson's, now Macy's :( Rich's, now very sadly Macy's :(

National Sears J.C. Penney Montgomery Wards

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2019 3:19 AM

Doe no one remember this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2019 3:24 AM

R60 I remember Gayfers only because it was part of Mercantile Stores, the same as J.B. Whites, see R59. Whenever you got a gift certificate or charge card from J.B. Whites it would have the logos of all the other Mercantile Stores on the back, where you could also use them.

by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2019 3:31 AM

We had Kaufmann's, Horne's and Gimbels.

For a time in the little suburb near where I grew up, there was a store called Troutman's. It was mostly clothing and was in a two story building with a nice man operating the elevator.

When I went to Grandma's house, there was Glosser Brothers* and Penn-Traffic. I don't remember PT so well but went to Glossers several times w/Grandma.

(*Glosser Bros had a 70s/80s outlet that tried to compete with Kmart and the like called Gee Bees. The Glosser family - Jewish immigrants from Belarus - are the ancestors of yes, Stephen fucking Miller. I shit you not.)

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2019 3:37 AM

[quote] Marshall Field’s in Oak Park, IL already mentioned up thread. It closed when I was a kid, and I remember thinking it was a loss for the community. A shoe store and then Borders went in a couple years later. That’s now long gone too.

I had no idea that was a Field's! That building has sat empty for so long, such a shame.

And now the Harlem/North Sears is closed, too.

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2019 4:16 AM

We drove to Dallas to shop at Neiman's twice a year. 5 school day outfits and two Sunday. Fall and Summer. Our hometown department store was Mayer Schmitz. It had one of those pneumatic tube things that the clerks put the money in, and it zipped away to Mr Mayer or Mr Schmitz's office and zipped back with a receipt in it.

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2019 4:17 AM

SFV: Bullock's, Broadway, Robinsons-May, JC Penney, Sears, Mervyns, Buffums, Ohrbach's, I. Magnin, Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Fedco, Gemco, Zody's, K-Mart

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2019 4:28 AM

What were the big Cleveland stores?

I seem to remember a big one downtown that has since closed.....was that Dillards or was there others?

by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2019 4:31 AM

Addendum to R3:

San Francisco: I Magnin, J Magnin, Ranshohoff's, Emporium-Capwell, Roos Brothers

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2019 4:46 AM

Growing up in Iowa, it was all about Younkers.

by Anonymousreply 68December 2, 2019 5:42 AM

Field.'s and Carson's. I loved them.

by Anonymousreply 69December 2, 2019 5:44 AM

Where I lived we had Howland's which later became Steinbach's. We also had Loehmann's. Caldor and Bradlees for discount stores.

For big shopping you went into Stamford. Macy's, JC Penney(later Filene's), Saks, Sage Allen. Trumbull had Reed's(later Jordan Marsh) and G. Fox. Danbury had Sears. I think we went into The Bronx for Alexander's.

by Anonymousreply 70December 2, 2019 5:56 AM

Philadelphia -

John Wanamaker

Strawbridge & Clothier

by Anonymousreply 71December 2, 2019 5:58 AM

Most of my California stores have been mentioned. My personal favorite of the major ones was Bullock's in Westwood. We'd also shop at Hensheys department store in Santa Monica where we lived, but they only had two stores in the area, so not major. But it was a six story building in the heart of downtown and it had two annexes extending from it, so it dominated the retail business district.

When I lived in Portland, the big one was Meier & Frank. (Photo)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 2, 2019 5:58 AM

Indianapolis:

LS Ayers, Wm. H. Block, and Wasson’s

by Anonymousreply 73December 2, 2019 5:59 AM

The Cleveland stores

Higbee's -- the big local - the downtown flagship was where A Christmas Story was filmed

May co. - 500 feet away from Higbee's on the other corner of public square- the second May Co. after the flagship in Colorado..

Halle Bros - the upscale local -

Sterling Lindner Davis. (At one time all separate stores) its claim to fame is that it had the largest indoor Christmas tree in America. It had a 6 story atrium..

Bonwit Teller, Saks, Horne"s, Nordstrom, Penney's, Sears, and the bargain boys - Zayre, Giant Tiger, Gold Circle, Atlantic- Spartan.

by Anonymousreply 74December 2, 2019 9:32 AM

JB Ivey and Company Belk

by Anonymousreply 75December 2, 2019 10:03 AM

sears roebuck!

red goose shoes, pull the goose head and get a gift

tarvers tot n teen (kids trendy clothes)

Olga's (moms cute sundresses)

Goldstein Miguel (ev thing, clothes)

shopping centers were the rage, god the sixtys were fab!

by Anonymousreply 76December 2, 2019 10:58 AM

the above stores were n Waco texas, at one time a big thriving city, till the air force base left. went from 200000 to 100000

by Anonymousreply 77December 2, 2019 11:00 AM

Hess Brothers (Hess's) Allentown, Pennsylvania

by Anonymousreply 78December 2, 2019 11:06 AM

Deisroth's Hazleton

Fowler, Dick, and Walker (The Boston Store) Wilkes-Barre

Pomeroy's Pottsville

by Anonymousreply 79December 2, 2019 11:09 AM

[quote]In Omaha, we had Brandeis, which was bought out by Younkers in the '80s (also now defunct).

Owned by Emil Brandeis, 48 year old confirmed bachelor who was a victim of the Titanic disaster.

by Anonymousreply 80December 2, 2019 11:24 AM

fun thread, thx op!

monkey wards (as my granny called it) Montgomery wards !

the Galleria

by Anonymousreply 81December 2, 2019 11:24 AM

The Globe-Scranton Boscov's-Wilkes-Barre

by Anonymousreply 82December 2, 2019 11:28 AM

R74 Thank you, I think Higbee's was the one I was thinking of.....I know a lot of locals remembered Halle too.

by Anonymousreply 83December 2, 2019 1:14 PM

In Rock Island, Illinois it was McCabe’s Department Store and Harry Mosenfelder for men’s clothes.

by Anonymousreply 84December 2, 2019 1:20 PM

This thread is great

But also makes me a bit sad, because we have lost so much of this. Now every place has a Kohl's and a Wal-mart and seldom, if ever, has more than that.

So great that even smallish towns of 25K or so had their own stores in the 60s and 70s.

by Anonymousreply 85December 2, 2019 1:25 PM

We used to walk to Honest Ed's.

by Anonymousreply 86December 2, 2019 1:26 PM

In Winnipeg the two stores were Eaton's where I worked as a stock boy and The Hudson's Bay Co. I don't live there now but I know that the Eaton's store was demolished to make way for an arena. Likely "The Bay" is still standing and still in operation. Eaton's had beautiful Christmas themed window displays.

by Anonymousreply 87December 2, 2019 1:32 PM

[quote] Addendum to [R3]: San Francisco: I Magnin, J Magnin, Ranshohoff's, Emporium-Capwell, Roos Brothers

I don't think of the Magnins or Ransohoff's as department stores. And "Roos Brothers" was Roos-Atkins (1957) long before the Emporium became Emporium-Capwell (i.e., they never co-existed under those names.) And I did mention The Emporium in my original post.

Roos-Atkins, along with Grodins and Hastings, was a specialty clothing store--not a department store.

by Anonymousreply 88December 2, 2019 3:29 PM

[quote]SFV: Bullock's, Broadway, Robinsons-May, JC Penney, Sears, Mervyns, Buffums, Ohrbach's, I. Magnin, Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Fedco, Gemco, Zody's, K-Mart

I think your timeline is off. Ohrbach's, Gemco, and Zody's were gone before Robinson's and the May Company became Robinsons-May and Bloomingdale's showed up in California.

by Anonymousreply 89December 2, 2019 3:31 PM

Few things make me sadder than the demise of Burdines.

by Anonymousreply 90December 2, 2019 3:33 PM

Rich’s Davison’s Saks Lord & Taylor Neiman-Marcus J.P. Allen

by Anonymousreply 91December 2, 2019 5:01 PM

R1. My family had a home in Orlando (Bay Hill) in the 70’s and 80’s. I lived up north but would visit for the holidays. I remember Colonial Mall where I bought my gay porn and Jacobsen in Winter Park. Also Altamonte Mall. Our area were basically still orange groves.

by Anonymousreply 92December 2, 2019 5:06 PM

[quote] Davidson's, now Macy's

Sorry, I meant Davison's. I always make that mistake, because so many people around me always mispronounced it as Davidson's.

by Anonymousreply 93December 2, 2019 5:15 PM

Youngstown, OH

- Strouss

- Hills

- McKelvey's

by Anonymousreply 94December 2, 2019 5:32 PM

r41! Lived nearby from 1950s. Can you believe I never ate in the restaurant, let alone had a piece of that famous strawberry pie?! My mother and I would always go to the Look Diner instead.

Hess Bros. > Hess's > Bon-Ton > Gone, Baby, Gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 2, 2019 5:40 PM

Small town in OK where we just had Sears, Montgomery Ward and JC Penney. There were a couple of small family owned clothing stores. Driving to Dallas to shop was always a treat.

by Anonymousreply 96December 2, 2019 5:41 PM

Oleson's Mercantile.

Sucked but good for shoplifting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 2, 2019 5:43 PM

The Outlet in Rhode Island

The Gay Blade in Oregon

My favorite, Mervyn's in California

by Anonymousreply 98December 2, 2019 6:03 PM

Bullocks Wilshire. The quintessential luxury store in LA, before Beverly Hills became a shopping mecca. Housed in a glorious Art Deco building , it had designer salons where models showed off the latest fashions (heaven forbid you should swipe through racks of dresses that other people have touched!), a fur salon (as well as fur storage), elevators with real people operating them (the lever that rotated from left to right) and a magnificent tea room on the top floor where models would walk through the room periodically and you could ask them all about what they were wearing (and the frozen fruit salad - yum!). There was a Steuben room where they displayed the latest and finest in art glass, and another room that showcased silver; they were like going to a museum! Going shopping at Bullocks Wilshire was always a special treat, wearing your best clothes, and gloves.

Sadly they closed in 1986, but the building has been preserved, thank goodness. It's a Law School now, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 99December 2, 2019 6:51 PM

Louisville in the 70s and early 80s had Stewart’s, Bacon’s, Shillito’s and Ben Snyder’s. Stewart’s was the only one still downtown and the most prestigious. We mostly shopped at Shillito’s and Bacon’s (part of the Merchantile group mentioned above). Shillito’s had a small restaurant on the top floor. Later Lazarus took that over before becoming Macy’s. The other stores by the late 80s became L.S. Ayres, Hess’s, and Dillard’s in quick succession.

by Anonymousreply 100December 2, 2019 7:16 PM

[quote] Hills

Not a fine department store, for sure. LOL

by Anonymousreply 101December 2, 2019 8:21 PM

r71 They were certainly the top 2, and in that order. I'll be going to the Wanamaker Building, which Macy now owns, for their renowned and utterly nostalgic Christmas Light Show, next week. I truly miss the restaurants in both stores, The Crystal Room at Wanny's, and S&C's Corinthian Room. There were a few others stores(all defunct now), in no particular order:

Gimbel's, which bailed on Philadelphia in the 70's, IIRC Always snapping at Wanamaker's heels, but making no headway.

Lits Brothers("Hats Trimmed, Free of Charge," that small sign is still on the building)

Snellenberg's. When they folded, the first incarnation of Philadelphia Community College took over the property. It was jokingly referred to as "The University of Snellenberg." The students LOVED the escalators.

The Blum Store, everything for m'lady. I will occasionally see an ancient dowager, with one of their iconic pink and black shopping bags.

by Anonymousreply 102December 2, 2019 8:29 PM

At Wanamaker's, and Saks, and klein's, a lesson I've been taught--you can't get alterations on a dress you haven't bought.

by Anonymousreply 103December 2, 2019 8:31 PM

Cunts R Us.

by Anonymousreply 104December 2, 2019 8:36 PM

In the Twin Cities we had Dayton's, Donaldson's & Powers plus a couple of smaller, high end stores like Harold & Bjorkman. What was left of Donaldson's and Power's eventually ended up as Carson Pirie Scott stores and then vanished. The late 80's brought Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, Saks and Neiman Marcus. Dayton's renamed themselves Marshall Field after parent Target Corp. bought that chain - and through a series of sales & buyouts became Macy's stores. Now the market is pretty much down to Macy's & Nordstrom in the suburbs and a newly opened von Maur just north of St Paul.

by Anonymousreply 105December 2, 2019 9:29 PM

Oh, I loved Bonwit Teller. Was living in NYC when it closed. Stood in line for the closing sale of the original Abercrombie and Fitch. I never got to see Best & Co, which my Texas grandmother spoke of as if it were the Holy Grail. She was a dyed in the wool Neiman Marcus patron and would write thank you letters to Stanley Marcus if there was something particular she really liked. As if he were her personal friend which he was not.

by Anonymousreply 106December 2, 2019 9:42 PM

R106 Did he ever write back?

by Anonymousreply 107December 2, 2019 10:23 PM

Yeah. He sent dick pix.

by Anonymousreply 108December 2, 2019 10:36 PM

Like R21 and R49, in Cincinnati, we had Shillito's, McAlpin's, Mabley and Carew, and Pogue's. I get confused about several of the buildings, now, but I think most of them are still in use, just not as department stores. I know the Shillito's building still stands, as does the McAlpin's building: I think they've been converted into condos. And, of course, Pogue's was located in the Carew Tower, which used to be the tallest building in Cincinnati. The Carew Tower arcade connects the Netherland Hilton with several small shops, and Pogue's used to be located on both sides of the arcade, connected by 'The Ice Cream Bridge', which housed a small restaurant (very good food). I used to have lunch there when I worked at the P&G main offices downtown. You can see the bridge spanning the arcade, right behind the elaborate Art Deco frieze. The lobby and the Palm Room in the Netherland Hilton are Art Deco masterpieces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 3, 2019 12:43 AM

And Hathaway's Dinner in the Carew Tower arcade is still open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 3, 2019 12:46 AM

Woodward & Lothrop's flagship store in downtown DC in 1957. Woodie's was a local upper-middle-market chain; the downtown store was a landmark. Going there was an occasion. When the stores closed in the 1990s, it was like a death in family for many Washingtonians.

Look how nicely dressed everyone is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111December 3, 2019 8:21 AM

El Corte Ingles

by Anonymousreply 112December 3, 2019 10:33 AM

Small town in NorCal here (or it was when I was a kid). We had Gottschalk's, Weinstock's, Montgomery Ward, Sears, JC Penney, Ardan's, and Mervyns. In the mid-80s we finally got a Macy's, which is still there, along with the JC Penney. Before Macy's, Gottschalk's, Weinstock's and Ardan's were the most upscale. But we lived so near SF that anyone who needed serious upscale just went to the city.

by Anonymousreply 113December 3, 2019 11:28 AM

Any Long Islanders remember The Great Neck Department Store? I got my first suit there!

by Anonymousreply 114December 3, 2019 12:37 PM

In Buffalo we had

AM&As

The Sample

Hens and Kelly

LL Berger

Sattlers

Jenss

Probably more I can’t remember

by Anonymousreply 115December 3, 2019 12:42 PM

Macy's (or its parent company) has killed so many more worthwhile places.

In Pittsburgh it all but killed Kaufmann's, the only place in the city worth going to, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 116December 3, 2019 1:31 PM

r113 I'm trying to figure out where you are ... I'm thinking Santa Rosa.

by Anonymousreply 117December 3, 2019 2:06 PM

" I want that silly bastard to send that furniture back to Jordan Marsh".. John F Kennedy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118December 3, 2019 4:09 PM

Thanks, R118.

by Anonymousreply 119December 3, 2019 4:15 PM

Cleveland also had Bailey's (low end) and Taylor's (similar to Higbee's). There was a Bonwit-Teller downtown and Best & Co in Cleveland Heights.

by Anonymousreply 120December 3, 2019 9:28 PM

My hometown (Ferndale, WA) was too small for department stores.

The big hub just south of us (Bellingham, WA), had The Bon Marche in the downtown area before it moved to Bellis Fair (the mall that was erected in 1988 or so). I loved the old Bon Marche. It had multiple levels with escalators and a cafe mezzanine. Classic. Like something out of the film Carol. Christmas, of course, was the best time. I would also do all my pre-school-year clothes shopping there with my mother. Nice memories. We also had a Sears Roebuck that was a stand-alone building on the outskirts of the downtown centre. They did photographs there like in the film The Master. I caught a brief tail-end of an era that was disappearing. I think we also had a JC Penny (which transferred to the mall) and a Mervyns.

by Anonymousreply 121December 3, 2019 9:38 PM

We had Sears, Montgomery Ward, Orbach's, Robinson's, May Company, and The Broadway. Also Buffums in Palos Verdes and later came Nordstrom in Redondo Beach. In the 90s a Bloomingdales opened in Fashion Island, Newport Beach. Then Robinson's and May merged to become Robinson's May which was bought out by Macy's. The Broadway and Montgomery Ward, defunct.

Some malls had JC Penney and when I was very young, Woolworth stores were in bad neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 122December 3, 2019 9:44 PM

I was raised in Paris, France, in the 70's, so les galeries lafayettes, le bon marché, le printemps, le bazar de l'hôtel de ville. Jealous, bitches ?

by Anonymousreply 123December 3, 2019 9:52 PM

When I was a little kid, my home town didn't even have a stop light. The closest department store was an Ames department store. But we would drive all the way to the Salisbury Mall to go to Hecht's, Sears, and Hutzler's (which I, of course, pronounced as "hustlers"). The other direction had a J. C. Penney, Woolworth's, and (eventually—when the new mall opened) a Boscov's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124December 3, 2019 9:59 PM

I previously mentioned the more upscale stores in Chicago like Field's, and Carson's, but I also really do miss the classic art deco Sears Roebuck store that closed a few years ago at the intersection of Irving Park, Cicero, and Milwaukee Avenues. We often went there, and the building is in fact an Art Deco masterpiece. Sears website used to have a page devoted to it. When we were kids, it was a nice place to explore, and before a renovation brought an addition to the north side of the store, there was a really interesting Sears Service Station also in matching Art Deco. There was a Hillman's grocery store and cafeteria in the basement, later turned into the hardware department, but the most haunting thing about the store was the scent of fresh roasting nuts from the huge candy department on the first floor, that and it chimes ringing with various codes to summon various employees.

by Anonymousreply 125December 4, 2019 12:17 AM

[quote] My hometown (Ferndale, WA) was too small for department stores.

Dang how small was it? Here in the South every small town had 2 or more small-town department stores downtown, usually ran by a Jewish family, until at least the early 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 126December 4, 2019 12:57 AM

GFox

by Anonymousreply 127December 4, 2019 1:11 AM

St. Louis:

Stix, Baer & Fuller Famous-Barr

by Anonymousreply 128December 4, 2019 1:26 AM

R124 Pennsylvania?

by Anonymousreply 129December 4, 2019 1:36 AM

My Mom shopped at Bullock's department store, in the glamorous Bullock's Fashion Square in Santa Ana, California. The Bullock's store was a gigantic 3-floor, 336,000 sqare foot showplace that was almost a full city in itself. The mall also had an i. magnum department store, a bunch of specialty shops abd 400 trees. In recent years the property has been expanded and rebranded as "MainPlace Santa Ana." The huge former Bullock's building is now a Macy's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130December 4, 2019 2:29 AM

[quote]The mall also had an i. magnum department store

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 131December 4, 2019 2:17 PM

Parker's and Petersen's, Davenport, Iowa

by Anonymousreply 132December 4, 2019 3:10 PM

I miss diners that look like R110.

by Anonymousreply 133December 4, 2019 4:57 PM

Oh, the glamour of shopping in those days!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 4, 2019 5:54 PM

Today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 4, 2019 5:57 PM

Surprising number of old queens from Allentown on here...

As a lower, LOWER middle-class gayling I was subjected to Leh's (and Sears) much more often than Hess's. Also for a brief moment - Zollinger-Harned's.

by Anonymousreply 136December 4, 2019 6:18 PM

I grew up in the 70s in a suburban NYC town with no department store or children's clothing store. The closest department stores were a 20 minute drive away. The only department stores I remember going to were Alexanders and B. Altman. My mother would take my sisters shopping and I'd tag along for the lunch we'd have at the Charleston Garden at B. Altman. I would always get a pink lemonade, grilled cheese sandwich and a brownie a la mode for dessert. My mother ordered my clothes from the Sears Catalog until I was in high school and wanted to pick them out myself. By then we had a mall with A&S, Chess King, Benneton, and all those awful 80s stores.

by Anonymousreply 137December 4, 2019 6:40 PM

Born and raised in New York City. We went to B. Altman's (Altman's for short), Lord & Taylor, and Saks. Macy's was considered déclassé. It reinvented itself in the mid to late 1980s. Bloomingdale's was not big until the late 70s. Barney's was a Cheap Charlie's kind of store.

There used to be a Gimbels on 86th and Lexington. I can remember leafing through "The Joy of Sex" in their Book Department in high school.

by Anonymousreply 138December 4, 2019 7:09 PM

Not sure if it's been posted already but there is some interesting history at the link. Looks like the blog is no longer active but the archives are an interesting read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 4, 2019 7:35 PM

Erie PA:

The Boston Store (My grandmother worked there for many years!), See picture below.

Carlisle's

Mason's was closer to K-Mart.

This was the place to go to sit on Santa's lap!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140December 4, 2019 7:50 PM

New Orleans: D. H. Holmes, Godchaux's, Maison Blanche, Krauss

by Anonymousreply 141December 4, 2019 7:59 PM

That looks nice, R140.

I lived in Erie for a few years in the 90s and walked by the Boston Store building on State (6th or 7th ish?) but it had been long closed by then. I heard they were making it into apartments?

by Anonymousreply 142December 4, 2019 9:48 PM

New York: Altman's, Gimbels, Saks (my father always bought gifts for my mother for Christmas and her birthday at Saks), Bonwit Teller (the Orange Cheeto bought the building and ripped it down to build a Trump tower), and Wanamaker's.

A few times a year we'd go over to Brooklyn to Abraham & Straus (only ONE "s" at the end people). There was a small branch in midtown Manhattan, but I don't ever remember being in there.

by Anonymousreply 143December 4, 2019 9:54 PM

How may I be of assistance to you today, Madam?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 4, 2019 9:55 PM

5th avenue in Clinton, Iowa in the sixties: Van Allen’s, local department store. Peterson Harned Von Maur, also local. Kline’s, Boegel’s, Sears, Penney’s, Woolworth, W.T. Grant, S.S. Kresge, Montgomery Ward, many more: small city, big on stores.

by Anonymousreply 145December 4, 2019 10:00 PM

Richmond, VA: Thalheimer’s and Miller and Rhodes

by Anonymousreply 146December 4, 2019 10:02 PM

r51

Did you live in Shaker Heights?

by Anonymousreply 147December 4, 2019 10:05 PM

R128: you forgot Scruggs, Vandervoort & Barney. At its peak, it had stores downtown at 9th and Olive, Clayton on Forsythe Avenue and Hanley Road, Crestwood Plaza, and Northwest Plaza. A fifth store was in the works across the street from the Riverroads Mall when the chain shut down..The downtown store was the first to close, the rest closed by 1970.

Back in the 1930's, there was another chain called Nugents. In addition to the downtown store at Broadway and Washington, they had branch stores before Famous-Barr, Stix and Vandervoorts. One was the uptown store at Olive Street and Vandeventer Avemie, another was the suburban store in Wellston at Easton and Hodiamont Avenues.

by Anonymousreply 148December 4, 2019 11:06 PM

^. How do you remember all this shit?

by Anonymousreply 149December 4, 2019 11:21 PM

Close, R129. Delaware. But slower, lower Delaware.

by Anonymousreply 150December 4, 2019 11:37 PM

[quote]Richmond, VA: Thalheimer’s and Miller and Rhodes

RHOADS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151December 5, 2019 12:15 AM

R141 I remember in the early 1990s Mercantile Stores bought Maison Blanche and started selling Mr. Bingle during the Christmas season at out local, J.B. White's. I loved him, but sadly we only got him for a few years before Dillards destroyed everything. There are claims that they still sell Mr. Bingle merchandise, but I've never seen it in my local Dillards.

by Anonymousreply 152December 5, 2019 12:35 AM

Farm and Fleet!

by Anonymousreply 153December 5, 2019 12:37 AM

Olsen's Mercantile. Walnut Grove.

We always looked forward to the year end BOGO sale of Baby Battering Rams and Shit-bras.

by Anonymousreply 154December 5, 2019 12:38 AM

Tucson:

Jacome’s Levy’s Steinfeld’s

All, plus Sears, Wards, and Penney’s were downtown through the 60’s. Jacome’s and Penney’s closed downtown shortly after I moved there in 1977. Jacome’s has no other locations, so that was it for them. Levy’s and Steinfeld’s already had mall locations. Levy’s became Sanger-Harris, then Foley’s, then Macy’s. Steinfeld’s folded in the early 80’s.

Never downtown but a big deal when it opened it’s first mall location in Tucson in 1978 was Goldwater’s, which was founded by the family of the arch-conservative Arizona senator Barry Goldwater. That store became Broadway Southwest eventually, which itself folded.

by Anonymousreply 155December 5, 2019 1:17 AM

R147 Cleveland Heights @ Fairmount and Lee area

by Anonymousreply 156December 5, 2019 1:24 AM

Fort Worth:

Leonard's

Monnig's

Stripling's

Cox's

by Anonymousreply 157December 5, 2019 1:30 AM

B. Altman seems like it was quite a place.

The comments on this article from former employees and shoppers are gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158December 5, 2019 1:48 AM

Cool piece about how the Altman Foundation is still active in NYC.

[quote]The Altman Foundation has given away $235 million since the store closed, said Jane B. O’Connell, the foundation’s president since 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 5, 2019 1:51 AM

The B. Altman atrium in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 5, 2019 2:37 AM

Fort Worth:

Monnig's (the classy one)

Leonard's (later Dillard's, maybe a tad less upscale than Dillard's)

Stripling's (mature clientele but my mom's favorite)

Cox's (same, mom also liked)

Stripling's and Cox's merged in the 70s before closing maybe in the early 90s. NM and Sanger-Harris (later Foley's, then Macy's) arrived in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 161December 5, 2019 2:44 AM

Buffalo, NY in the '70s/'80s: My mom's regional favorites were AM&A's (which she and my relatives always pronounced like "mayonnaise" with the "m" and first "a" inverted) and Beir's.

Almost all of my school clothes came from JCPenney and Sears, mostly the catalogs.

When Rainbow Centre (note the Canadian spelling; it was right on the border) opened in '82, we went there a lot because it was much-hyped and had a botanical garden, big glass elevator and fountains.

It was there that I discovered the Gap, became gay, and then there was no more JCPenney and Sears for me.

by Anonymousreply 162December 5, 2019 2:52 AM

R158, the service at Altman's was unbelievable, and the same was true in most department stores. Today in department stores, the salespeople are there to ring up your items on the cash register. Nordstrom still has great service, but it is gone from the vast majority of other stores.

by Anonymousreply 163December 5, 2019 3:03 AM

R162 The Gap made you gay? You Canadians are easy.

by Anonymousreply 164December 5, 2019 3:03 AM

San Francisco 1950s - 1970s:

The City of Paris on Union Square, famous for it's opulent Christmas Tree in its elegant rotunda

The White House - long gone, we'd see Santa there

The Emporium - also long gone, my first job out of college was in the ad dept. They had roof rides at Christmas and opulent Christmas displays. A great old store.

I. Magnin - elegant

J. Magnin - quality but trendier than I. Magnin

Saks Fifth Avenue - expensive but we shopped there for special occasions

Roos Brothers - high quality men's clothing

H. Liebes - Decent but not as fancy as I and J.

Gumps - not quite a regular department store but a purveyor of luxury goods. They closed a couple of years ago. A wonderful store specializing in the art of fabulous things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 5, 2019 3:16 AM

I shall grammar police myself. Error alert in the second line. Can you spot it?

by Anonymousreply 166December 5, 2019 3:18 AM

r156

I still get Mitchell’s Chocolates sent via FedEx....

by Anonymousreply 167December 5, 2019 3:29 AM

[quote]The Gap made you gay? You Canadians are easy.

It was actually most likely Sam Jones in Flash Gordon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 5, 2019 3:32 AM

{quote]Edergays

Is that like Lizafags?

by Anonymousreply 169December 5, 2019 3:42 AM

R168 Sam Jones made a lot us gay.

by Anonymousreply 170December 5, 2019 5:59 AM

[quote] The City of Paris on Union Square, famous for it's opulent Christmas Tree in its elegant rotunda

Tsk, Tsk, R165! It's not okay to make mistakes with the possessive.

by Anonymousreply 171December 5, 2019 3:26 PM

Could you imagine a group of queens shopping and witness this? Bette would have gotten a round of applause for telling off these two old frau's. Same with Joan in "The Women" insulting Rosalind Russell and Phyllis Povah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 5, 2019 4:45 PM

So right you are, R172. But We Queens would also be Margaret Elliott (but pronounced Margot!).

by Anonymousreply 173December 5, 2019 5:24 PM

Thanks for posting that clip, R172, it's fabulous! I must see that film.

by Anonymousreply 174December 6, 2019 1:07 AM

(One can't talk about the loss of NYC department stores without talking about the lost of the garment district in Manhattan, the factories that made 70% of America's clothes.)

by Anonymousreply 175December 6, 2019 9:14 PM

I think that's like when Lillian Hellman had to work at a grocery store because she lost all of her money to lawyers during the communist witch trials.

by Anonymousreply 176December 6, 2019 9:17 PM

R175 or the loss of the textile mills of New England and the Southeast which produced the fabrics that the garment district used. I grew up wanting to work in the New York office of my local textile company. Then it was sold and that dream was gone.

by Anonymousreply 177December 6, 2019 9:18 PM

R177, thank you for the response! I didn't know that. So where did the mills go? Also overseas?

My grandmother worked in the garment district as a seamstress from the 1950s-1970s.

by Anonymousreply 178December 6, 2019 9:21 PM

R178 oversees. Except for Millikan. The man that owned them was a major Republican, but the non free trade type. Sadly, his children are less committed to the US and have started opening overseas mills. One thing I have to say in favor of Trump AND Bernie is that they are against free trade. Free trade has ruined the American working and lower middle class more than anything.

by Anonymousreply 179December 6, 2019 9:32 PM

All of them. Center of the Universe baby.

by Anonymousreply 180December 6, 2019 9:53 PM

When we lived in Longmeadow, Massachusetts my mother went to a Springfield store with two or three names. Anyone remember it?

by Anonymousreply 181December 8, 2019 2:03 PM

New Jersey - Sterns, Steinbacks and Two Guys (anyone?)

by Anonymousreply 182December 8, 2019 2:09 PM

R181 Forbes and Wallace

by Anonymousreply 183December 8, 2019 2:20 PM

Boston: Jordan Marsh, Filene's, R.H. Stearns, Gilchrist's, Raymond's (all within 1000 feet of each other in or near what is now called Downtown Crossing) and then either Bailey's for a sundae, Dini's or Warmuth's for lunch, or the Parker House, Locke-Ober, or the Marliave for dinner.

Quincy: Remick's (Lee Remick's father owned it)

Waltham: Grover Cronin

Worcester: Denholm and Elliot

by Anonymousreply 184December 8, 2019 2:28 PM

r177, the irony is that several of the abandoned textile mills are now outlet malls, selling cheap shit made in China.

by Anonymousreply 185December 9, 2019 6:01 PM

1960's - "The Hub" of Stubenville, Ohio

by Anonymousreply 186December 9, 2019 6:07 PM

R182

Two Guys, indeed! They later became White Modell, which my mother referred to as White Modess. We went to East Hanover or Morris Plains. They weren't a department store though - more like a K Mart.

by Anonymousreply 187December 9, 2019 6:12 PM

R185 Thankfully, that hasn't happened where I live. The ones that have been repurposed, have been made into apartments or one, into a medical office building.

by Anonymousreply 188December 9, 2019 6:37 PM

Love this thread!

by Anonymousreply 189December 26, 2019 12:13 AM

Hess's

by Anonymousreply 190December 26, 2019 2:18 AM

blowing and fucking cock in the huge basement toilet at the Emporioum in Frisco....Saks 5th ave was good too, the big for retarded folks stalls were fab for fucking for days.

and was a basement toilet at union square where classy businessmen would go down and sniff/suk homeless young boys … yes!

by Anonymousreply 191December 26, 2019 11:36 AM

The 2 big local stores in Atlanta were Rich's & Davison's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192December 26, 2019 12:16 PM

There's a nice article about Burdines in Miami and Palm Beach. The preview link will not post for whatever reason, just copy and paste this title:

We miss you, Burdines. Here’s a look back at our love affair with the Florida store

by Anonymousreply 193December 26, 2019 2:09 PM

Houston in the 60s: Foley's, Joske's, Sakowitz, Battelstein's. Foley's was truly a department store back then: fabrics, books, and records along with clothes and household items. Sakowitz was for special presents, especially father's day.

The Galleria opened in 1970. I can't remember whether we had Neiman-Marcus down here before the Galleria.

Joske's had fabulous end-of-month sales. I worked there as a teenager on the third floor. We could hear the doors open and the sale shoppers head for the escalators on those days.

I still miss Sakowitz.

by Anonymousreply 194December 26, 2019 7:28 PM

Bambergers

Lord and Taylor

Gimbels

Hahnes

by Anonymousreply 195December 26, 2019 7:33 PM

We need a "God, I hate Federated Department Stores for buying all the local department stores and turning them in shitty Macy's which are eventually closed because Macy's sucks" thread.

by Anonymousreply 196December 26, 2019 7:49 PM

Also, a second thread, "I hate Federated for destroying Burdines"

by Anonymousreply 197December 26, 2019 8:09 PM

The flagship L.S. Ayres & Co. store in downtown Indianapolis was a beautiful to visit. Even if it was in a third-rate backwater, they achieved some real elegance in that store.

All gone.

by Anonymousreply 198December 26, 2019 8:14 PM

In the metro Detroit area of my childhood, Hudson’s was the major local department store brand. As a young kid, we would go to the flagship store in downtown Detroit at Christmas, one of the few forays my racist family would make across the city line. Of course, there were also the national chains of Sears, JC Penney, Montgomery Ward, and Korvette’s. Jacobsen’s was a local higher end department store with too high a price point for my family (and no Orange Julius nearby). In college in Ann Arbor, there was also a Lord & Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 199December 26, 2019 8:34 PM

I never knew there were this many department stores all operating at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 200December 26, 2019 8:41 PM

Remember the weird New England store Porteous. It was almost spooky. Like it had the bones of a major department store, but not the life-blood.

by Anonymousreply 201December 26, 2019 9:07 PM

R200 Every metro city had at least one local, family owned department store that probably started in the late 19th or early 20th century. And, really large cities would have 2 or 3 and they'd open branches in smaller big cities in their region.

by Anonymousreply 202December 27, 2019 6:02 AM

R202, thank you for your response. Our malls are so horrible now.

by Anonymousreply 203December 27, 2019 6:12 AM

Harris’, Robinson’s, I. Magnin, Joseph Magnin, Buffum’s, Bullock’s, Saks, Nordstrom’s, Bon Marché, Ohrbach’s

by Anonymousreply 204December 27, 2019 6:28 AM

R200, and the largest metro areas would have local department stores in the lower, middle and upper segments of the market, although the lower segment was (at least in the DC area) dominated by Sears and Montgomery Ward. The lowest end of the market were the dime stores, but a lot those were national chains like Woolworth's and McCrory's.

In DC, we also had local drug store chains - the biggest was People's Drug Stores - and a local hardware/lumber yard chain, Hechinger's. There were also lots of neighborhood drug and hardware stores. All of these are gone, baby, gone.

by Anonymousreply 205December 27, 2019 6:34 AM

Liberty House. Honolulu, Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 206December 27, 2019 7:40 AM

Southern California: Early 1970's-Mid 1990's *The Broadway *Buffums *Robinson's *Bullock's *May Company

by Anonymousreply 207December 27, 2019 8:07 AM

in Denver, it was the Denver Dry Goods and May D&F. The Denver was part of Associated Dry Goods which also owned Lord & Taylor. We also had Joseph magnin which was the younger hipper cousin of I magnin. My cousin worked as a buyer for Neusteters which was Denver's version of Bonwit Teller. The third generation of boys that managed the store in the late 1970s ran it into the ground. My cousin was tasked with closing out one of the branch stores and let all of us know that she was marking everything down to $5. A bunch of us showed up and bought a truckload worth of Perry Ellis and other mid-level designers things. Denver also had a chain called Fashion Bar. The Main Street in downtown Denver is now a Haven for the homeless.

One funny thing ... the old Neusteters store became Denver's version of rental lofts. So I Airbnb an apartment there about 10 years ago when my cousin was in town so that she could stay in the space that was her old office. She really enjoyed that. But she was glad to get out of Denver.

One not funny thing is I used to see local fashion maven ... and yes the standards were low there, Jo Farrell at some of these stores back in the day. Farrell is one of the model agency heads who fed women to Bill Cosby.

by Anonymousreply 208December 27, 2019 8:15 AM

The Paris Fair - Hood River, Oregon

by Anonymousreply 209December 27, 2019 8:34 AM

omg Houston in the sixtys/seventys:::::good times::::marys.

by Anonymousreply 210December 27, 2019 8:59 AM

R200, the department stores were as explained by R202. These retail establishments were of long standing and they contributed majorly to the identity of the various localities and regions of the U.S. It was part of the fun of visiting another city to sample its best department stores. Some things were the same as the store in your area, but other things were going to be different. People came to Chicago to go specifically to Marshall Fields. If they can stay in Gary, Indiana, and go to Macy's... why bother with Chicago? Parce that out across the entire country. Going to Macy's was once a choice. Now, from time to time, it's nothing more than an unavoidable burden.

The people running Federated Stores, the holding company that bought and sold a variety of these departement stores throughout the 20th Century, were some of the stupidest people on earth. "Market Forces" are always present, but how one reacts to them can vary. The Federated people destroyed something that was long at the heart of cities all over the nation. Replacing it all with the name "Macy's" was a disaster for us all.

by Anonymousreply 211December 27, 2019 2:46 PM

John Wanamaker was another fabulous chain that was run into the ground by the founder's family, who treated it like an ATM machine.

A friend of mine used to work at the main store at 13th and Market. Wanamaker family members would routinely pull up to the store with suitcases and haul out bagfuls of cash. When store managers objected, they would just say "have a sale" to raise more cash for them to loot.

by Anonymousreply 212December 27, 2019 3:00 PM

Gimbels and Boston Store - Milwaukee Oh, and THREE SISTERS for the ladies.

by Anonymousreply 213December 27, 2019 3:39 PM

There were at least three distinct tiers in Southern California, and more stores in each than I'm listing here.

Top: I. Magnin, Bullock's, J.W. Robinson Middle: The Broadway, May Company Low: Sears, J.C. Penney

by Anonymousreply 214December 27, 2019 3:48 PM

Woolworths was the big store where I grew up.

I don't think any exist any more.

by Anonymousreply 215December 27, 2019 3:49 PM

Woolco is gone as well, r215. My mother once bought my sister a cotton summer dress there. She was a good enough seamstress to fit the dress so it didn't look cheap. Grant's is gone and TG&Y. I guess Walmart and Target fill the gaps for low-end department stores these days. But that dress from Woolco from the late 60s was not flimsy, like the clothes you'll find at Walmart now.

by Anonymousreply 216December 27, 2019 3:57 PM

Wanna learn something weird? Many malls in Hawaii now host non-denomination CHURCHES in shopping centers! A lot of New Hope churches have taken the place of Tower Records in Kahala and a Times Market in Aina Haina. I guess if you're too poor to shop at any store, well then you can pop in next door and pray for better luck next time.

by Anonymousreply 217January 2, 2020 8:54 AM

Macy's (northern california).

by Anonymousreply 218January 2, 2020 9:56 AM

R218, pretty much. I remember other stores but those were places my mom went.

by Anonymousreply 219January 3, 2020 12:27 AM

Paterson, New Jersey - Quackenbush and Meyers Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 220January 3, 2020 12:45 AM

Edergays--fans of the Streisand-wannabe, ex-Mrs. Frank Wildhorn?

by Anonymousreply 221January 3, 2020 1:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!