Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Getting glasses frames that suit

I’ve always had issues with this. Am v short sighted -4 and -4.5 and wear contacts at work.

However, I have never found a pair of frames that suits my face. Have paid hundreds for thin lenses, great frames etc, but they all look rubbish.

I have a large, broad face and nice eyes. Any suggestions ?

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2019 10:44 PM

I'm sure there are online programs that can calculate this for you, stupid fuck. Why troll the DL for this.

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2019 6:50 PM

If you have a large face, you must wear large frames. Those will be most flattering to you and will show off your nice eyes.

Please do not wear those small-ish, rectangular frames. Those will make you look ten years older, immediately. They're outdated and I don't know why men still wear those.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2019 6:52 PM

For next time, the correct phrasing for the title should be "Getting eyeglass frames that suit"

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2019 6:54 PM

My, aren't we a little *sour* today!? ^

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2019 6:57 PM

If the act of learning is "a little sour" to you, sentence construction is the least of your worries.

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2019 7:00 PM

I agree with R2. A big face needs big glasses.

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2019 7:01 PM

Yes, get big glasses and pay attention to the shape of your brow. Not many guys look good in glasses that are absolutely straight across. No rectangles. The glasses at R2 would be too deep and heavy for a man without that beard and nose. The overall shape isn't bad but that frame is too heavy looking for someone over 40. A broad face can be square or round. Determine which you are. If you're overweight, you face is likely round.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2019 7:14 PM

Thanks for comments Re larger frames. In the U.K. by the way they are always called ‘glasses’ or ‘spectacles’. ‘Eyeglasses’ sounds very quaint!

by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2019 7:18 PM

R7 that makes sense - actually my current frames are v similar to those in the photo. They still look horrible!

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2019 7:21 PM

These are kind of bold and hipster-looking, but I think you can find something that suits your face. Metal frames, large, squarish. Your nice eyes will still be a focal point.

If you are a bit overweight, then the large frames are even more important. Small frames will accentuate that you're a bit overweight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2019 7:34 PM

Can you send a pic of your anus?

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2019 7:36 PM

The frames at R10 are ridiculous. Fine if you have 4 other pair of spectacles. But a dumb investment. Those frames will be out of style in 10 months. And they are wearing his face, not the other way around. They don't even look good on him. Too much metal.

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2019 7:41 PM

Never pay more than $100. Warby Parker has great stylish frames - lots of styles and shapes. I’m tall and big so tend to get big frames. Lots of different styles can look good. But agree the straight rectangles are horrible. Round are in but they can emphasize a chubby face too much.

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2019 7:52 PM

The glasses at r10 are trendy, likely not his only pair and probably disposable. Not a big deal.

Take this quiz, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2019 8:17 PM

r7's glasses look like ladies' glasses.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2019 8:22 PM

R8: In the US, "spectacles" would be "quaint", most likely uttered by a centenarian.

However, "Getting spectacle frames that suit" would be respectable sentence construction.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2019 11:29 PM

Some of us aren't ninety years old R16. It's fun to say "find me my spectacles." Who gives a rusty fuck about your dried up sentence construction?

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2019 11:48 PM

-r5- has a terrible case of PILES and is lashing out like a whiney baby, poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2019 11:52 PM

Go with understatement possum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2019 11:54 PM

"Piles" is another centenarian term, R18. Do you have a fainting couch in your parlour?

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2019 3:28 PM

Appreciate all the helpful advice. I really don’t care for those metallic frames, I’m afraid. I tried the quiz someone posted but it wouldn’t allow me to click on the options, maybe as I’m in U.K.? I will however see if I can find something similar over here.

Apart from the frame issue, I find my eyes look really tiny because of the strength of the lenses, whatever type of lens I buy. Which is a shame, as I like my eyes.

Whoever said large frames are the way to go has it, I think. There’s a guy at work who normally wears lenses but occasionally wears large black frames and they look very striking.

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2019 4:49 PM

^^I'm in the UK and the quiz worked fine for me. Maybe check your browser?

Apparently I have a pear-shaped face, with my chub cheeks and rounded chin, and this calls for Aviators or oval glasses with heavy dark frames which DL say are a faux-pas (the EGs recommended I go frameless & square). Now I'm doubly confused and have no idea what to plump for. I just want to look like a smart '90s goth gay with no time for anyone's shit - surely there's spectacles for that...

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 4:14 PM

r11. Perfect!

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2019 4:44 PM

Why did the ridiculous boxy black-plastic rims catch on with the gays & lesbians so hard? It's an awful look and so conspicuous.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2019 10:34 PM

Those 'trendy' metal frames are what all the kids in the Special Ed classes in my grade school wore, but usually in plastic.

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2019 10:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!