Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Official Queen and Slim Screenplay. Written by Lena Waithe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2019 1:45 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2019 6:01 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2019 6:02 PM

I don’t know who any of these people are, but the historical references sprinkled throughout are a lazy attempt at character description.

What little dialogue is posted refers to another movie’s characters for reference.

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2019 6:22 PM

no fucking way...

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2019 6:46 PM

Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2019 6:48 PM

This shit got made into a movie and a national theatre release?!?

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2019 7:10 PM

I've read maybe four major articles about this movie in the last few days. Two of them were in the NY Times. They must have some major high-profile publicist to garner that much press for a low-budget, limited appeal movie.

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2019 7:12 PM

[quote] I've read maybe four major articles about this movie in the last few days. Two of them were in the NY Times. They must have some major high-profile publicist to garner that much press for a low-budget, limited appeal movie.

Yeah because independent films about people who aren’t white (or in your words “limited appeal”) never attract media attention. And anything that’s not 200% white has “limited appeal.” Unlike the dozens of universally appealing white white bombs that Holly’s churns out each year.

OP from where did this bullshit come. It’s authentic based upon what evidence.

by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2019 7:21 PM

r8 wants FACTS, FIGURES, and SWORN AFFIDAVITS!

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2019 7:37 PM

[quote]OP from where did this bullshit come. It’s authentic based upon what evidence.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Not that it's not real, but it's significantly different from what was filmed. That happens often but just even the relationship. Uncle Earl knows Queen/Angela very well. They have a deep relationship. Also, I don't even remember them being called Queen and Slim in the film, maybe in the last 20 minutes so why would they be referenced in the script as Queen and Slim when the entire time they're Earnest and Angela? That what makes the script dubious to me.

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2019 7:49 PM

Characters who talk like screenwriters = hack writing.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2019 8:18 PM

The entire screenplay was uploaded. This garbage is real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2019 8:48 PM

In my meager defense of Lena Waithe, James Frey is also credited as the writer.

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2019 8:53 PM

Sorry, I only go to movies where people are quiet and actually watch the movie, not talk , shout thru them.

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2019 9:15 PM

Lena Waithe is beyond tiresome and has no discernible talent.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2019 9:45 PM

Have any of you ever read a script before? Many are like this, and it’s completely standard. Long before it’ll ever be made into a movie a script has to be an entertaining sales pitch in itself. Descriptions are meant to be short, easy to read and instantly evoke mood for the reader. That’s what’s being done here. They aren’t epic poems, dear

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2019 9:47 PM

R16, I read the screenplay for Moonlight. It was just as good as the movie.

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2019 10:14 PM

Lena has an odd face.

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2019 11:35 PM

R16: Yes, there are those of us here who not only read scripts, but write for the screen as well. The posted excerpts suggest this first draft was written early in the screenwriter's career before she had mastered the craft. I would like to compare this version to the final shooting script.

This page-to-screen scenario is strangely reminiscent of the "Good Will Hunting" travesty.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2019 3:48 AM

Deny her talent, but I dare you to deny Lena Waithe's beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2019 3:51 AM

Please, be a dear and Lena Waithe from me.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2019 6:08 AM

I’ll deny it R20. She looks like a pissed off teenage boy.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2019 6:11 AM

I didn't read the whole script because I'm lazy, but what's with the gratuitious slam at Aretha Franklin?

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2019 1:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!