Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sally gets a Kennedy Center Honor.

They like her; they really do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2019 5:16 AM

They may, but I don't. She's not a kind person. So I won't be watching the Kennedy Center Awards for 2019. The slide down the slippery slope continues.

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2019 1:39 PM

Watch out, she'll shit on you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2019 1:56 PM

Everybody boogie. They get in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2019 1:58 PM

There's always next year.

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2019 1:59 PM

R2, maybe that clip will be broadcast at the Kennedy Center Awards. I'm curious if roaring audience laughter will erupt? R4 LOL thanks! :-)

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2019 2:00 PM

MTT and husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2019 2:01 PM

I was a fan until I read her awful biography.

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2019 2:02 PM

Well it's not an award for kindness r1.

by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2019 2:03 PM

Let's hear it for Sesame Street!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2019 2:04 PM

Thank God she won't speak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2019 2:07 PM

Stories about her unkindness, please!

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2019 2:08 PM

R8 I know, but I didn't want to say she's a mean, nasty, overexposed bitch who doesn't deserve anymore recognition and doesn't deserve to be a Kennedy Center award recipient for 2019. However, she's already on the roster, so I just have to get over it, let it go and go on with life.

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2019 2:09 PM

I’ll throw a fish bone at her in your honor, r1.

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2019 2:11 PM

Donald Trump expresses his opinion of the honorees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2019 2:12 PM

At least you can watch it for Linda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2019 2:14 PM

An underwhelming bunch--70s retreads and Sally. yawn. Has to be the weakest field in ages.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2019 2:19 PM

Fuck it, even I’m not going to watch, let alone attend that crap fest.

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2019 2:20 PM

R15, true. I believe she had a song that went, "Your no good, you're no good, baby you're no good." Appropriate!

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2019 2:20 PM

Tell us how you really feel r12.

I don't know why you say overexposed when there is Meryl Streep out here refusing to allow us a moments peace before her award desperate mug is in our faces again making humble brags AND self effacing humor at the same time.

No one is more overexposed than Streep. I haven't read or seen anything about Sally in a long time.

But if Sally is miserable a cunt, then she's a talented miserable cunt and she does deserve recognition if only for "Norma Rae". It may not be anything to anyone now but at the time it was a very important film. It was a moment not only for film but in the zeitgeist as well. It's one of those films that points up the beautiful power film has to pierce public consciousness as well as entertain. Have to throw "Sybil" in there as well.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2019 2:20 PM

I’ve never heard stories about her being unpleasant in real life.

Don’t leave us hanging. Details, R1!

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2019 2:21 PM

Take you Streep hatred elsewhere, R19.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2019 2:22 PM

Am I wrong r21?

You don't think Streep is overexposed?

Personally I like variety, I would appreciate seeing other actresses get some opportunity to play important roles. I've seen Streep.

NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2019 2:25 PM

R20, in NYC , Field was leaving the stage door by herself of with only 1 person when a nice fan approached and courteously asked to take 1 photograph. Field went ballistic and threw a fit. No! Not 1 photo for one, considerate, older fan. "Sybil" and "Norma Rae" were great, but how long ago were those? Field isn't in the same category as Streep, IMHO, and I'm not a cinephile.

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2019 2:26 PM

I did say that some would not consider those films important 23. But they were important when they came out and therefore are important in film history for their time period.

A this point there are enough people who don't look at Streep and think she's the best actress in generations.

Sally Field did some impeccable work, I wouldn't compare her with anybody. Each actress is in her OWN category IMO.

Every now and then an award is given for a superb performance. Mostly awards are a matter of popularity, blitz campaigning and for many years the influence of Harvey Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2019 2:41 PM

No, I don’t think Streep is overexposed, but her haters are.

This is a thread for Sally Field so keep Streep out of it.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2019 3:05 PM

No one will ever - EVER - denigrate our Sally here.

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2019 3:09 PM

Oh yay, a red carpet for her son to walk

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2019 3:13 PM

The low point for the Kennedy Center Honors was the induction of LL Cool J.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2019 3:17 PM

Will Sally's son bring Adam?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2019 3:19 PM

Linda's going.

Singer Linda Ronstadt hasn’t spent a lot of time over the course of her life contemplating, much less courting, awards and honors. Even so, she’s collected a slew of them since her music career revved up in earnest in the mid-1960s, taking home 10 Grammy Awards, one Emmy, three Academy of Country Music Awards plus induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Come December, she’ll add a Kennedy Center Honor to that list when the Washington, D.C., institution recognizes her alongside “Sesame Street,” actress Sally Field, R&B group Earth, Wind & Fire and conductor, composer and pianist Michael Tilson Thomas as its 2019 slate of arts and entertainment world recipients.

“I never thought I would receive something like this,” she said Friday from her home in San Francisco. “I love the eclecticism of it.”

She joins a roster of musicians that the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts has honored over the last four decades, a group that includes Aretha Franklin, Carole King, Chuck Berry, Al Green, Quincy Jones, Barbra Streisand, George Jones, Elton John, Ella Fitzgerald, Cher and her old backup band, the Eagles.

Ronstadt says she is often hard-pressed to know how to respond to the honors that come her way, both because they were never a motivation for pursuing her singing career, and because she’s her own toughest critic about her work.

“If other people like it, I’ll take their word for it, rather than my own,” Ronstadt, 73, said with a laugh, reiterating a frequent observation that what she always notices about her own performances are the things she could have done better rather than what she got right. “It’s nice not to have to work in a vacuum. But I’m done with it now. I can’t do it anymore, so it’s a little frustrating. But that’s what it is and I have to live with it.”

She’s referring to the Parkinson’s disease that has robbed her of her ability to sing at the level she did while becoming one of the most acclaimed voices in rock during the ’60s and ‘70s, before turning her attention to a broad range of other styles of music including the traditional Mexican music of her youth, opera, Broadway and the pre-rock body of pop standards known as the Great American Songbook.

She said she will attend the annual ceremony in Washington D.C. later this year if she feels up to the demands of travel at the time. She said she has seen the widely circulated video of Aretha Franklin saluting Carole King by singing “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” in 2015 when King received her Kennedy Center Honor.

“I levitated,” she said unequivocally. “That was a thrill.”

Ronstadt consistently has stated that such awards were peripheral in her vision as a musician. When she was chosen for induction into the Rock Hall of Fame in 2013, more than 20 years after she first became eligible, she told The Times, “It’s not anything I’ve ever given a second thought to.”

And as to her 10 Grammy statuettes, “I don’t know where they are. The first one I left in the back seat of a rental car. I’d rented a car to go to the show, and tossed it in the back when I left. I forgot about it and left it there in the back seat.”

Ronstadt is the subject of a new documentary, “Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice,” that premiered in April at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York and which is scheduled for a theatrical premiere Sept. 6.

The film, which roughly parallels the structure and content of her 2013 book, “Simple Dreams: A Musical Memoir,” is directed by Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman. It also involves some members of the creative team, including producer James Keach and composer Julian Raymond, from the 2014 Oscar-nominated, Grammy-winning documentary “Glen Campbell: I’ll Be Me,” which traced the singer’s career and his latter-day struggle with Alzheimer’s disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2019 3:24 PM

Did anybody see her in "Hello, My Name Is Doris"? Apparently she got her tits out!

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2019 4:18 PM

R31 I don't remember that (I doubt it) but it is a really fun movie. I saw it at SXSW and during the Q&A someone asked Showalter about Wet Hot American Summer and he SHUT IT DOWN because "this isnt what were here about"

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2019 5:23 PM

She could have done some of Glenn's roles in the 80s, but Glenn was much sexier than Sally.

by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2019 5:47 PM

“Stories about her unkindness, please!”

I seem to remember her having a huge meltdown and threatening to get physical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2019 5:56 PM

I remember YEARS ago before she was an Instagay, Sally's son had a blog where he mentioned his family a few times. Sally's half-sister is apparently a mess and a half and Sally herself can't find a good man and uses him as an emotional partner (totally believable). There was more to it but this was ages ago. I think it might've been a livejournal.

by Anonymousreply 35November 30, 2019 7:26 PM

Drink your juice, son!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 30, 2019 7:49 PM

She's also a matchmaker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2019 4:19 AM

I love Sally but I hated how she dissed Bette Davis ‘s acting in my fave film Now, Voyager as campy. I think that is how a bipolar acts and her acting was much more restrained when the Doctor ‘cured’ her.

by Anonymousreply 38December 2, 2019 4:45 AM

R35, R38, so that's it! I have a batshit crazy relative with all kinds of problems! What's this term emotional partner? I reject that silliness. Do we know if Sally is completely single? I don't want an emotional female bothering me! To be fair, I don't want an emotional man bothering me! When I have problems, I talk to doctors and chaplains. That's their purpose. Sally has probably driven her son insane! I know she's evil or near it.

by Anonymousreply 39December 2, 2019 5:01 AM

THAT woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2019 5:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!