Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Celebrity Suicides Shocked You The Most?

For me it was Chris Cornell. I don’t know why it was such a shocker but it was..

by Anonymousreply 183December 5, 2019 6:41 PM

Robin Williams

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2019 12:41 PM

Anthony Bourdain

by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2019 12:44 PM

Margot Kidder

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2019 12:49 PM

Agree with the Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade suicides. They were so close together and they gave me a really weird feeling.

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2019 12:59 PM

I can still remember exactly the shock felt when I found out Kurt Cobain had committed suicide.

Also Anthony Bourdain

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2019 1:04 PM

Princess Diane.

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2019 1:33 PM

Avicii

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2019 1:36 PM

Pete Duel. I was 7 years old at the time and had a major crush on him. I was convinced that he'd been murdered and thought I'd go to Hollywood and prove it when I grew up. Never did of course.

by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2019 2:00 PM

Robin Williams, Anthony Bourdain & comic Richard Jeni's suicides shocked me because I didn't see them coming.

But Cobain's upset me the most - even though I thought it was inevitable when I saw Nirvana on MTV's Unplugged.

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2019 2:11 PM

Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington, so close together. Tbh, I still have suspicions about Bourdain’s being Auto Erotic Asphyxiation.

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2019 2:15 PM

Robin Williams, hands down. I knew he'd been struggling with sobriety (he checked into Hazelden a few months before he died), but that didn't remotely prepare me for him to end it, and in such a gruesome way. Of course, later it was revealed he had Lewey Body Dementia, which made it not as hard to understand, retroactively.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2019 2:32 PM

Chris Cornell.

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2019 2:34 PM

Inger Stevens

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2019 2:34 PM

Robin Williams, Anthony Bourdain and Avicii. Shocking and just so damn sad.

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2019 2:49 PM

Kate Spade and Robin Williams

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2019 2:51 PM

chris cornell and his friend (another rocker) who did it exactly on the same day one year later...

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2019 2:52 PM

Charles Rocket. His method shows just how depressed he really was.

Very handsome guy.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2019 1:55 AM

Kurt Cobain, Anthony Bourdain, Avicii and Chris Cornell were all murdered.

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2019 3:24 AM

Anthony Bourdain. I had just gotten into his show - and was in a period of envy about his life and personality. Seemed to be enjoying an interesting life and seemed like such an interesting guy. And he said if he was ever given a fatal illness, he would do heroin again. Expected an OD - not a suicide.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2019 3:27 AM

Jonathan Brandis

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2019 3:37 AM

R18, only according to conspiracy theorists. What are the odds that all those suicides would be murder, suicide is definitely more common than murder.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2019 3:37 AM

Ben Hendrickson, Hal Munson on "As The World Turns".

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2019 3:39 AM

Julianne Hough, just hours ago. It doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2019 4:02 AM

r23 I just saw this on Daily Mail... I can't imagine dying that way. RIP

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2019 4:04 AM

R23 R24 uhh, am I living in an alternate dimension?! What happened to Julianne Hough?

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2019 4:09 AM

Robin Williams and Chester Bennington.

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2019 4:11 AM

I just checked and saw nothing to suggest Julianne Hough was no longer with us...?

by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2019 4:12 AM

Robin Williams, Chris Cornell, L Wren Scott, Lee Thompson Young, Anthony Bourdain, Brian Keith, Alexander McQueen

by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2019 4:14 AM

I still choke up every time I think about Chester Bennington.

by Anonymousreply 29December 1, 2019 4:20 AM

Chris Cornell shocked me to the core when I found out he was dead, and I spontaneously burst into tears the moment I read the news. I've listened to his music since I was a kid with my dad, who's a big fan. Temple of the Dog, Sound Garden, and Audio Slave. The best voice in rock music.

Another one that also shocked me was Heath Ledger. I became a big fan after watching Candy. When I heard it on the radio I dropped what I was doing and just stared. Total disbelief and so out of the blue. Not a suicide, but he was a great actor.

Nothing can prepare you for the sudden death of someone you knew personally. He wasn't a celeb, but he was really well known in our city as a club promoter. I was sitting in a cafe with a friend when we noticed another friend of ours outside the window looking very distraught. My friend went outside to invite our other friend to come sit with us while I waited inside. I was looking at my phone when my friend burst into the cafe, tears streaming down his face, "Benny's dead! He shot himself!" It was like time itself froze, and a wave of heat scoured my back like someone turned on a furnace right behind me. Then, cold chills running up my spine. Our mutual friend Benny was dead at only 17.

by Anonymousreply 30December 1, 2019 4:22 AM

RIP Julianne

by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2019 4:22 AM

also, Alexander Mcqueen

by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2019 4:24 AM

Freddy Prinze

And I wonder if we’ll ever find out more about what drove Bourdain to kill himself.

by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2019 4:25 AM

Vince Foster. I did my goddamned-est to convince 'Murca he was murdered by Hillary and Bill, but hardly anybody bought it.

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2019 4:30 AM

Bourdain made me realize we never know who is happy or what will make a person happy. I thought if I had his life, it would be perfect. But life is in your head. Gotta be happy with who and what you have.

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2019 4:31 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Julianne Hugh HAD killed herself. It would depress anyone to know their brother looked like The Grinch.

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2019 4:33 AM

Lupe Velez

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2019 4:33 AM

George Michael

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2019 4:35 AM

Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes

by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2019 4:35 AM

Bourdain without a doubt. He had alread been through so much in his life that you think he would have snuffed it earlier were he truly so inclined. There were a number of blog posts by a close friend of his who said Asia was shit and evil and how Tony went down once he met her. I think those posts since got taken down, or perhaps I don't want to try and find them again.

I also want to say Robin Williams, but knowing what he was dealing with medically, I so get it. He likely had a short window to pull it off physically. I live in Marin. Everyone hated that cunt wife of his. Never trusted her. All of the gory details that leaked of how he did it? That came from her, NOT the medical examiner's office. We are chatty cunts, and our housekeepers talk. While not nearly as bad as Asia at all, she was still a fucking greedy bitch, and I'm sure that didn't exactly help matters.

Kate Spade's husband? Another fucking evil greedy bitch, but, again, she was a mess. I guess what I am saying is so many of these suicides were due to combo platters of misery. Of all of them, Anthony really was the worst and most shocking to me. I hope someday I can go back to watching his wonderful shows, because even now, it is all too sad.

by Anonymousreply 40December 1, 2019 4:40 AM

Yukio Mishima

by Anonymousreply 41December 1, 2019 4:41 AM

The painting in Kate Spade's living room freaks me out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 1, 2019 4:44 AM

R42 foreshadowing

by Anonymousreply 43December 1, 2019 4:48 AM

R40 - good points. The partner choices were really poor in all cases. Maybe dealing with a depressive limits the pool - or maybe they were attracted to unkind or abusive people.

by Anonymousreply 44December 1, 2019 4:49 AM

Freddie Prinze. He was close to my age and so talented and funny. It appeared he had everything, his death was shocking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 1, 2019 4:49 AM

I consider Michael Jackson’s death a suicide. I was shocked.

by Anonymousreply 46December 1, 2019 4:50 AM

R40 Asia Argento is a shit stain. Once her paying off the young man she raped cane to light, she had the cheek to lie and say she never had sex with him and that Anthony paid him to avoid scandal. Pictures and texts emerged confirming she did have sex with him and Anthony was dead by then so couldn’t dispute her claims that it was him who brushed it off with money. I hope her cunt rots out of her body.

by Anonymousreply 47December 1, 2019 4:54 AM

Iris Chang

David Foster Wallace

by Anonymousreply 48December 1, 2019 4:58 AM

r40, you sure seem to blame a lot of suicides on people other than the people who actually killed themselves.

I hope you are not a high school principal. " Some other kid committed suicide? I bet it's the mother's fault."

by Anonymousreply 49December 1, 2019 5:00 AM

Elizabeth Berkley - Career Suicide

by Anonymousreply 50December 1, 2019 5:00 AM

I may be among the few, but I feel drug and alcohol deaths are automatically suicides.

by Anonymousreply 51December 1, 2019 5:02 AM

Kurt Cobain. I was 20, in college, and impressionable. He had such an impact in just a few years, his suicide was done in such a blunt way, and I don't recall there being such a suicide of a major media figure in the 1980s or early 1990s (at least, for me). I just hastily looked up suicides of popular figures preceding Cobain, and the only ones which stuck out were Vince Foster and Joan Rivers' husband (from the People magazine cover), but I didn't know who either one of them were before they died. While it may have not been the intention, Foster was later immortalised (for me) in the Kathy Bates' character in Primary Colours.

I looked at the list post-Cobain and a few names stuck out from what was reported at the time: Alexander McQueen, Anthony Bourdain, Spaulding Grey (his death haunted me for a while), Michael Hutchence, Chris Connell (I had such a crush on him back when I was ... 20), and Tony Scott (my sales territory at the time included Long Beach/San Pedro and I knew that bridge).

Robin Williams was a bitter pill to swallow.

by Anonymousreply 52December 1, 2019 5:14 AM

r49 You hope I am not a high school principal? What an odd thing to say. Rest assured, I am not. If I was, I imagine if I had to herd kids such as yourself, I would likely have been found dangling, peacefully, from a doorknob long ago.

I said combo platter for all of them, and I stand behind that.

by Anonymousreply 53December 1, 2019 5:16 AM

Chris Cornell.

God very rarely kills such hot snatch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 1, 2019 5:19 AM

Jean Stein

Spalding Gray

Chantal Akerman

by Anonymousreply 55December 1, 2019 5:22 AM

Wow - didn’t realize Chris Cornell was so big among gays. I honestly didn’t know who he was and I’m Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 56December 1, 2019 5:23 AM

Marilyn's

by Anonymousreply 57December 1, 2019 5:23 AM

[quote] If I was, I imagine if I had to herd kids such as yourself, I would likely have been found dangling, peacefully, from a doorknob long ago.

"If I [italic]were,[/italic]" hon.

As for your little scenario: we can dream, can't we?

by Anonymousreply 58December 1, 2019 5:23 AM

Jean Stein - wow, that is an obscure one but totally agree. Money, fabulous life, successful books. I assume it was the onset of dementia. But as with the other suicides - I don’t know why they didn’t do it painlessly with drugs rather than jumping out a window or hanging themselves. Like they were making a statement.

by Anonymousreply 59December 1, 2019 5:25 AM

+1 re Iris Chang.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 1, 2019 5:35 AM

Margot and Margaux

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 1, 2019 5:42 AM

R59 maybe they worry they’ll chicken out and call for help or mess it up if they OD?

by Anonymousreply 62December 1, 2019 5:43 AM

- Avicii particularly the violent way he chose to suicide

- Robin Williams as it was sudden and unexpected until the autopsy revealed the Lewy Body Dementia.

- Anthony Bourdain as it was unexpected and sudden. Even understanding the complicated and illogical relationship he had I thought he could endure its break up

- Michael Hutchence as I expected him to be able to survive his unhealthy relationship too

by Anonymousreply 63December 1, 2019 5:57 AM

Poor Margaux Hemingway. Though, I guess I can't say it was shocking given her family history. In her case it went down, not with a bang but a...?

Don't off yourself in the summer. "Whiffy" indeed. I feel horrible for the guy who found her. A good write up here. While she battled a bit with her weight toward the end of her life, she was never massive. But in the article below you can see the size of her body being wheeled out.. Again. Don't off yourself in the summer.

Tiresome Frau alert on this thread. Let's enjoy it while we can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 1, 2019 6:28 AM

Pete Davidson

by Anonymousreply 65December 1, 2019 6:46 AM

Not at all surprised by Anthony Bourdain's suicide.

by Anonymousreply 66December 1, 2019 7:02 AM

R64 to be honest, I’m surprised more Hemingway’s aren’t dead.

by Anonymousreply 67December 1, 2019 7:09 AM

Same here!

by Anonymousreply 68December 1, 2019 7:10 AM

Brian Epstein (cough, cough, cough)

by Anonymousreply 69December 1, 2019 7:11 AM

David Carradine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 1, 2019 7:15 AM

Didn't David Carradine & that leader singer from INXS Michael what's his name did from accidental death? (Accidentally strangling themselves whist jerking off)

by Anonymousreply 71December 1, 2019 7:17 AM

Billie Joe McAllister

by Anonymousreply 72December 1, 2019 1:26 PM

Chris Cornell. I was looking at wikipedia and saw his name under the recently deceased. I had a total moment of shock and denial. "It's gotta be another Chris Cornell. It can't be him." I'd been trying to sing "Black Hole Sun" for months but those low notes at the end of the chorus eluded me. It was like my vocal coach died. I kept breaking out into tears the whole day. I don't remember it having the same impact as Curt Cobain's death, though. But I'm not convinced it was suicide. I'm not gonna pull a Pierre Salinger TWA 800 insane spiral over it, but there are incidents about the timing of the whole thing that make me think otherwise. But I have to trust it was all investigated. It's like Curt Cobain's 'suicide.' If a rock and roller takes themselves out, it seems the authorities are quick to bury the body and pretend it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 73December 1, 2019 2:24 PM

R42 yikes! What the fuck? Does anyone know who the painter is?

by Anonymousreply 74December 1, 2019 2:32 PM

"Once her paying off the young man she raped cane to light, she had the cheek to lie and say she never had sex with him and that Anthony paid him to avoid scandal. Pictures and texts emerged confirming she did have sex with him and Anthony was dead by then so couldn’t dispute her claims that it was him who brushed it off with money. I hope her cunt rots out of her body."

First she "raped" him.....then you said they "had sex"

It's like you can't even get your story straight

by Anonymousreply 75December 1, 2019 3:34 PM

None shock me. It’s actually so common

by Anonymousreply 76December 1, 2019 3:44 PM

I lived in Seattle during the peak grunge period. I was in love with Cornell. God, he was beautiful. I used to drive by his house once in a while, went to every Soundgarden concert. I read plenty of interviews with him and he talked about his depression and his struggles as a teenager. I can't say it was surprising that he would commit suicide, but yes, I was shocked beyond belief when I heard. I did have a hard time with that celebrity death. It was tied in to becoming older, I was just in a depression myself, so it hit hard. When Cobain went, I was working and we were listening to the news as they announced police had found a dead body by apparent gunshot wound in Cobain's place, and everyone sat stunned. That was a crazy two weeks in the city.

And yes, Bourdain and Robin Williams shocked me, too. I felt awful about Williams. The poster who suggested many of these suicides had troublesome partners - Cornell's wife is a piece of work. He seemed to be making questionable choices while married to her, and there seemed to be a pursuit of money that he never would have cared about before meeting her. The stuff she and her family have been doing since he died is really nauseating, its like parading around someone's corpse as a reminder to pay attention to you.

by Anonymousreply 77December 1, 2019 3:45 PM

This is the datalounge, where if a guy commits suicide, the first thing to do is blame the wife.

by Anonymousreply 78December 1, 2019 3:47 PM

Anthony bourdain no question. Kate Spade too. And I was also very surprised by the suicide of Jane Birkins daughter, photographer Kate Barry. She jumped out of either a window or balcony a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 79December 1, 2019 3:52 PM

Beautiful American-born Filipina model and socialite Helena Belmonte. Her mom was editor-in-chief of Appetite magazine, her grandfather was a heart surgeon who performed some of the first open heart surgeries in the US. She leapt from the 28th floor of her condo complex, landed on an air conditioning exhaust vent on the 7th floor. 28 years old. So young, so rich, so beautiful, but alas, bipolar and depressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 1, 2019 5:17 PM

Beautiful American-born Filipina model and socialite Helena Belmonte. Her mom was editor-in-chief of Appetite magazine, her grandfather was a heart surgeon who performed some of the first open heart surgeries in the US. She leapt from the 28th floor of her condo complex, landed on an air conditioning exhaust vent on the 7th floor. 28 years old. So young, so rich, so beautiful, but alas, bipolar and depressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 1, 2019 5:17 PM

The suicide of Art Linkletter’s daughter was a big “don’t do drugs, kids” cautionary tale of my youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 1, 2019 5:41 PM

Wasn't there something shady about Diane Linkletter's death? I seem to remember that the man who was in her apartment was also involved in another 'suicide' committed under suspiciously similar circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 83December 1, 2019 5:51 PM

My dear wife's..

by Anonymousreply 84December 1, 2019 6:09 PM

Meghan Markle and Prince Andrew's

by Anonymousreply 85December 1, 2019 6:23 PM

Robin Williams.

I cried. I have never cried over the death of anyone famous - until his suicide. I grew up with him - Hook, Mrs. Doubtfire, Aladdin, Jumanji. It was like a father figure died. Mary!, I know, but it hurt.

by Anonymousreply 86December 1, 2019 6:32 PM

you know which ones also really shocked me? brie (?) Hartman because of the circumstances of her not only murdering Phil but also leaving her small children alone in the house with his body.

david Strickland also shocked me because it was a show that I watched and I liked his character.

by Anonymousreply 87December 1, 2019 6:33 PM

R75 they had sex by agreement. He was underage so it was rape/sexual assault. But you go ahead and get your cunt in a bunch, defending one of the loudest metoo’ers who was actually a predator herself.

by Anonymousreply 88December 1, 2019 7:56 PM

Cleopatra

She had a hot asp, but she couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 89December 1, 2019 9:53 PM

Keith Flint from The Prodigy. Can't get over him at all. Despite his stage persona, he was probably the kindest, gentlest, sweetest and most artistic people on earth. It's simply awful to me that people like him feel like they don't have a place in this world.

Also, his suicide has kind of inspired me to consider this option seriously.

by Anonymousreply 90December 1, 2019 11:23 PM

I managed to fuck up that link, didn't I? It's hard to use the DL on a phone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 1, 2019 11:25 PM

L’Wren Scott.

I’ll never forget the photo a pap snapped of Jagger right after being told of the sudden death.

by Anonymousreply 92December 1, 2019 11:36 PM

R37 So, you're, what? 110 years old?

(FYI: the tale of the late Ms. Veldez having drowned in her toilet is total bullshit. She was found in her bed.)

by Anonymousreply 93December 1, 2019 11:42 PM

I was shocked when one of the twin boys from 'Everybody Loves Raymond' committed suicide.

Guess he just went out to the front porch and shot himself.

It was then that I found out that the twins and the daughter on 'Raymond' are siblings in real life.

by Anonymousreply 94December 1, 2019 11:44 PM

Looks like I am one of the few who didn't give a single shit when I heard Bourdain was gone. The guy came across as a prick and he was paying off the teenager who boinked his idiot girlfriend.

I still suspect the little hanging-by-the-neck-while-whacking-off game in Bourdain's case.

by Anonymousreply 95December 1, 2019 11:48 PM

I agree with you, r95. I thought he came across as a sour know-it-all.

by Anonymousreply 96December 1, 2019 11:57 PM

"But you go ahead and get your cunt in a bunch, defending one of the loudest metoo’ers who was actually a predator herself."

She hasn't been convicted of anything.....funny, I thought you MRA types like to scream that every guy accused of molesting a girl or woman is innocent until proven guilty.

"they had sex by agreement."

He claimed she forcibly raped her.....so are you admitting you believe he's a liar?

by Anonymousreply 97December 2, 2019 2:11 AM

Budd Dwyer, the Pennsylvania politician who put a gun in his mouth on live television.

by Anonymousreply 98December 2, 2019 2:15 AM

Budd Dwyer. Hmmm. I wish Donald Trump would do the same.

by Anonymousreply 99December 2, 2019 3:08 AM

No matter what your politics, R99, that is a horrible statement.

by Anonymousreply 100December 2, 2019 3:13 AM

exactly r100. all the Mexicans who would need to clean it up have been deported already.

by Anonymousreply 101December 2, 2019 3:14 AM

R94, why did he kill himself?

by Anonymousreply 102December 2, 2019 3:46 AM

Agreed, r95. I was disgusted with him for eating that French songbird who is killed in that horrible manner. He wrote about it and felt no shame or remorse. I think he was a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 103December 2, 2019 3:47 AM

Jeffrey Epstein.

by Anonymousreply 104December 2, 2019 4:31 AM

Michael Hutchence and Chris Cornell. I had huge crushes on them in my youth and they always brought me happiness with their music. I cried a lot for both of them. They were gorgeous men, what a waste of life.

by Anonymousreply 105December 2, 2019 5:09 AM

I think Chris Cornell was an accidental suicide. He was on Atavan which will give you hallucinations. He apparently took more than one pill at a time.

by Anonymousreply 106December 2, 2019 5:28 AM

Natalie Wood

by Anonymousreply 107December 2, 2019 5:33 AM

Chris Cornell...like op.

by Anonymousreply 108December 2, 2019 6:14 AM

Bourdain wasn't so surprising to me, he had a sadness and desperation about him. He also seemed to be kind of a dick. I feel sorry for his young daughter, and his French boyfriend twin. Asia is a trash rapist, nasty cunt.

I was very surprised by Chris Cornell, also my teen crush. Robin Williams was someone I thought too good for this world, his suicide makes more sense in retrospect. Dolores O'Riordan :(

by Anonymousreply 109December 2, 2019 7:11 AM

All male rapists are innocent until proven guilty.....but not Asia Argento

by Anonymousreply 110December 2, 2019 4:12 PM

Dr Brandt

by Anonymousreply 111December 2, 2019 4:30 PM

R109, the official cause of Dolores O'Riordan's death was accidental drowning due to excessive drinking. If she hadn't decided to take a bath while intoxicated, she'd probably still be alive.

by Anonymousreply 112December 2, 2019 4:53 PM

Drunks/druggies need to stay out of the bathtub

by Anonymousreply 113December 2, 2019 5:02 PM

R113 I was a bit surprised at how little coverage Riordan got. She was a fairly successful musician at one time and the cranberries music was everywhere in the 90s

by Anonymousreply 114December 2, 2019 5:44 PM

Trumps daily assault on Americas makes me consider suicide every day.

by Anonymousreply 115December 3, 2019 6:05 AM

i think Carol Wayne was the suicide that the had the same guy as Linkletter death. Very strange, what are the odds?

by Anonymousreply 116December 3, 2019 6:22 AM

Hervé Villechaize

by Anonymousreply 117December 3, 2019 6:26 AM

"I consider Michael Jackson’s death a suicide. I was shocked."

YOU were shocked! YOU??? Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 118December 3, 2019 6:42 AM

Definitely Robin Williams, I couldn't imagine someone who was so beloved and appeared to be a beacon of joy to the world feeling such despair that they wanted to kill themselves. Truly shocking and confirmed that you never really know how someone is feeling inside.

by Anonymousreply 119December 3, 2019 10:09 AM

R100 I don't agree, the world would be a better place with him dead. Think of the countless lives he and his administration has ended and ruined. He is a despicable person who doesn't deserve to live.

by Anonymousreply 120December 3, 2019 10:10 AM

RIP Julianne Hough

by Anonymousreply 121December 3, 2019 10:30 AM

Really the guy that sadly sang Black Hole Sun shocked you with his death?

Pay attention to the sad singers. That pain comes from somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 122December 3, 2019 10:32 AM

I didn't know about suicide until I heard that Judy attempted it. My mom had to explain.

Yukio Mishima's death, I guess depending on your perspective, was a suicide since after he plunged the knife into his bowels then his accomplice beheaded him. I had no idea who he was until I heard about his death while watching the evening news. I started to read his books after that and learned he was gay (perhaps bisexual). I've seen the movie Mishima several times (music by Philip Glass).

by Anonymousreply 123December 3, 2019 10:37 AM

Suicides always shock me, but probably because I was young, had a bit of a crush, and had little understanding of suicide, Freddie Prinze.

by Anonymousreply 124December 3, 2019 10:41 AM

Robin Williams, but I didn't know he was ill. Not surprised that Cornell overdosed, be was a hardcore drug addict and alcoholic all his life. PhilipSeymour Hoffman too.

by Anonymousreply 125December 3, 2019 10:48 AM

Most of the ones listed - even if the post-suicide discussion made things clearer.

Robin Williams' suicide, in particular, still bothers me.

by Anonymousreply 126December 3, 2019 10:53 AM

Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 127December 3, 2019 10:58 AM

R123 disgusting and unnecessary.

If you're going to do it, go out with some nice fun drugs. Imagine the mess that made. Now someone has to deal with the remains. So gross.

by Anonymousreply 128December 3, 2019 10:59 AM

Kurt Cobain not a suicide.

by Anonymousreply 129December 3, 2019 10:59 AM

I think Robin Williams would be making jokes about his own death in heaven. "Well, that was a rough night, huh?"

by Anonymousreply 130December 3, 2019 11:01 AM

r111 Tina Fey is a murderer!!!

by Anonymousreply 131December 3, 2019 11:01 AM

R39 except she died in a car accident

by Anonymousreply 132December 3, 2019 11:03 AM

R132 I thought she died chasing waterfalls?

by Anonymousreply 133December 3, 2019 11:34 AM

George Sanders. No wonder: half of his wives were Gabors. Zsa Zsa was #2 and Magda #4 (if only for 32 days.) In failing health, he overdosed on barbiturates.

His suicide note read, "Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

by Anonymousreply 134December 3, 2019 12:02 PM

R98, I just looked up Bud Dwyer's suicide and it was brutal. I don't know why I have never heard this story before, especially as it was obviously such big news at the time.

by Anonymousreply 135December 3, 2019 4:04 PM

Sanders owned Addison DeWitt right to the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136December 4, 2019 1:05 AM

That Judas guy's suicide was shocking.

I mean, come on Judas! You were a mere mortal like the rest of us. Subject to making mistakes and temptation like the rest of us.

Of course by now it has been established that J.C. was pretty much an attention-seeker and that he was going to wind up in trouble regardless.

Wonder if that would have made a difference to ole Judas.

by Anonymousreply 137December 4, 2019 1:46 AM

Anthony Bourdain

by Anonymousreply 138December 4, 2019 1:48 AM

I would say Mindy McCreedy but that country singin' gal was pretty effed-up.

It is my understanding that she was suspected of murdering her husband, live-in b.f., baby-daddy - whatever status he held in her life.

by Anonymousreply 139December 4, 2019 1:48 AM

David Bowie. Most likely assisted suicide / simply upping the morphine.

What a man, what a talent. And that last, haunting album of his, released just before he died. A class act right until the end.

by Anonymousreply 140December 4, 2019 1:55 AM

R140 Yeah, Bowie was classy. Him and his 13 year-old little groupies. Him, Jimmy Page and Bill Wyman. Class acts all the way.

by Anonymousreply 141December 4, 2019 2:16 AM

Kenneth Anger

by Anonymousreply 142December 4, 2019 3:17 AM

Harvey Weinstein

by Anonymousreply 143December 4, 2019 3:18 AM

R142 & R143 I think you are both on the wrong thread. Sure these aren't meant to be on 2020 Death Watch thread because both are still alive and kicking.

by Anonymousreply 144December 4, 2019 4:55 AM

Bowie was suicide???

by Anonymousreply 145December 4, 2019 5:24 AM

I completely understand and respect Robin Williams for what he did. He went out on his own terms knowing that each day was a progression into, for him, the netherworld, and for his family, diapers, irrationality, 24/7 care, and watching a loved one forget who you are and who he once was. His life was no longer going to be worth living very soon, so he ended it. Gotta respect the man for taking charge of his own destiny.

by Anonymousreply 146December 4, 2019 5:59 AM

Sorry, what was I thinking? I meant Donald Cammell and Jeffrey Epstein. Doing too many things at once!

by Anonymousreply 147December 4, 2019 6:14 AM

I think it was ruled an accidental overdose - but c'mon - I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet - (am I too old???) - BUFFY FROM FAMILY AFFAIR - Little Mary Anissa Jones. 18 years old, found dead on the floor in Oceanside, CA. They did an autopsy and there was a medicine cabinet worth of drugs in her system.

That was pretty fucking shocking!!!!

by Anonymousreply 148December 4, 2019 6:19 AM

R145: Read my post again.

by Anonymousreply 149December 4, 2019 6:28 AM

Another one for Cobain. I was a teenager when it happened. And it was like everyone in my school was sleep walking through life that day and about a week after. Just stunning.

About ten years later, the same thing happened when Elliott Smith offed himself, though on a much smaller level. They were by far my two favorite musicians.

So, who do we hate in the music world that I should become of a fan?

by Anonymousreply 150December 4, 2019 7:00 AM

R144 for some reason there's a bunch of assholes on here naming celebs that aren't dead, and dead celebs who didn't kill themselves. Idk if they think they're being funny or what...

by Anonymousreply 151December 4, 2019 7:42 AM

Anthony Bourdain's suicide was the worst because he ruined something he spent his life working towards. He starred in a current hit show that made a lot of people downright envious of his life--traveling the entire world and eating the best it had to offer. How hard could that be? Yes, lots of hard work, too. But he stayed in the best hotels and drank heavily.

All to give it up by a split second decision to hang himself. Can one relish rewatching the CNN series show knowing he had abruptly died one day with little to no explanation as to why he had it so bad that death was the only escape from such a wretched existence? His guests and viewers seemed to respect and enjoy his presence. What gives? But I can no longer enjoy the the show...

by Anonymousreply 152December 4, 2019 8:08 AM

It was the secret suicide of Valerie Harper.

by Anonymousreply 153December 4, 2019 8:11 AM

...and then there's Jeffrey Epstein's proclaimed "suicide".

Please, we all know that a lot of powerful people wanted him dead before any kind of testimony came out. Jeezus, he was such an arrogant POS, I doubt it ever occurred to him that his death could be any form of atonement as nothing, no suffering could possibly be worthy of such sacrifice. Yet, despite Michael Biden's professional conclusion of homicide (3 broken hyoid bones in the neck) TPTB have still succeeded in ramming the suicide BS down our collective throats. This is what should scare the shit out of us.

by Anonymousreply 154December 4, 2019 8:21 AM

R128 it was a Japanese ritual. His death actually had a certain style to it. It was played out like a theatre piece with costumes, makeup and his supporting cast. Fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 155December 4, 2019 9:12 AM

And of course Chris's wife is to blame 😂... Why is it that these men are perceived as small idiot children who can't think for themselves and the women are the head bitches in charge? It was the same thing with his first wife, Susan. She was the controling bitchy manager but now that there's a new target and people realize how much she did for Soundgarden and AIC, she's left alone. The same is said about Courtney, yes she's a bitch but Kurt was an arrogant jerk who obviusly enjoyed her company.

As for Chris, he was an addict at 13 and dropped out of school very early. He was always depressed and to himself afterwards according to Hiro (SG's founder and first bassist and Chris's roommate) he became completely dependent on his first wife for everything even before he put out his first record. And after Mother Love Bone's Andy Wood (his close friend) died of an overdose, he plunged deeper into depression. He was successful at masking his problems pretty well but in the mid 90's he was already an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 156December 4, 2019 9:28 AM

There's no way Bourdain offed himself over Asia Argento, there's just no logic to it. People who cling to that excuse want an explanation and while I totally get that, it's foolish to blame one person on someone's suicide. Especially when the person who kills themselves had so many options for help: money, supportive friends and relatives, drugs, other chicks to bang, PR people to help them get revenge, lawyers, fame, the whole thing. He could have destroyed Argento in the tabloid press in two weeks, tops, and he knew it.

I don't really understand the tendency of some on Datalounge to ascribe almost supernatural powers to women they hate, like they think certain women are literal witches. Sometimes I wonder if they're the same people on the numerology or "there are bad vibes in Tucson" threads.

by Anonymousreply 157December 4, 2019 9:30 AM

Honestly, I think Epstein was put in the cell he was in on purpose, with the people in charge knowing he'd try to kill himself and they just wanted him to go ahead and do it. Probably paid off some guards to look the other way and turn off the security cameras. I don't think they brought someone in to strangle him, that would be too difficult to pull off.

If the first suicide attempt was a botched murder attempt, he would have told his lawyers and they would have said so by now.

by Anonymousreply 158December 4, 2019 9:33 AM

Iris Chang, a beautiful, young Chinese-American writer. She was a smart, hard-working young woman- all put together and an engaging speaker as well. Her successful endeavors were brought down so quickly due to a psychotic break one night. Fascinating backstory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 4, 2019 9:41 AM

[quote]Kurt Cobain not a suicide.

Like Epstein, he'd tried to kill himself very recently, so the odds of it not being suicide are slim. So many people talk about how surprised they were, and while I was shocked and really upset, I wasn't surprised per se, because the music media had been basically predicting it for weeks or even months by the time it happened. But if you weren't watching MTV or reading Spin, then yeah, it was probably not as obvious.

The worst part I think were all the old people like Andy Rooney bitching and moaning about how nobody should care if Kurt Cobain was dead. They all made the same basic argument: that some human beings are worthwhile and others aren't, and they were able to judge who fell into what category, and Cobain was worthless and his fans were idiots. It was shocking how angry they were that people were legitimately sad over a death. What a messed-up time it was.

by Anonymousreply 160December 4, 2019 9:43 AM

Do murder-suicides count? Phil Hartman and his wife. She wasn’t famous bf but she was after. Also Gig Young. I read about that...what a dick.

by Anonymousreply 161December 4, 2019 10:00 AM

I'm still not seeing the suicide angle with Bowie. Cancer is a bitch.. it's a horrible process, and it kills. He was in the midst of fighting, I don't he was helped or he wanted to die.

It's still very sad, and I'm not excusing his days with underage groupies.

by Anonymousreply 162December 4, 2019 11:20 AM

Lee Thompson Young's death still makes me so sad. Youth, beauty, talent, a promising future--all gone in a flash.

Vince Welnick of the Tubes and The Grateful Dead. And though I love the GD, it's always niggled at me, the callous way his former bandmates spoke of him.

by Anonymousreply 163December 4, 2019 12:10 PM

They weren't celebrities, but a few years back there was a huge rash of suspicious deaths, most labeled as suicides, of bankers and scientists, as well as the trail of corpses behind the Clintons.

by Anonymousreply 164December 4, 2019 2:35 PM

Bourdain - just seemed to have it all and be down to earth. Never made sense how he got over heroin - yet seemingly drank without issues. Will always suspect it was a heroin overdose.

by Anonymousreply 165December 4, 2019 3:00 PM

But he wasn’t drinking without issues, R165.

by Anonymousreply 166December 4, 2019 5:53 PM

Michael Douglas

by Anonymousreply 167December 4, 2019 5:57 PM

I was (still am) a Chris Cornell superfan. I had a hard time getting out of bed when I heard the news. I haven't been able to watch his last performance, which was hours before he killed himself. I've seen him perform and he was absolutely alive and electric on stage. I have a hard time reconciling how he could go from that to suicide in such a short period of time. Heartbreaking.

I was also very depressed over Anthony Bourdain. I still watch his show and there are no clues. Dude was living his life and seemed to be having an amazing time. I know he was very vocal about MeToo and taking down Harvey Weinstein but I recently heard that he was trying to further expose Jeffrey Epstein. I would not at all be surprised if he was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 168December 4, 2019 6:11 PM

Does Lindsay Lohan's career suicide count?

by Anonymousreply 169December 4, 2019 10:40 PM

Well. I guess I just don't count.

I'll have you youngsters know, I was the talk of the town back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 4, 2019 10:44 PM

Even in death, no one likes me or wants to be my friend.

by Anonymousreply 171December 5, 2019 12:08 AM

R168 I dont understand how you cannot 'reconcile' Cornell's suicide. Hard core alkie and addict since he was a teen, constant suicude ideation in his music, kept as an emotional infant by his first wife and unable to comprehend his own finances....im surprised he lived as long as he did. I'm not shocked about entertainment suicides because the face they put out to the public on the stage is usually covered by a mask.

by Anonymousreply 172December 5, 2019 10:47 AM

Robin Williams.

by Anonymousreply 173December 5, 2019 11:21 AM

[quote]kept as an emotional infant by his first wife

Completely baseless and unfair comment about Susan Silver but par for the course around here, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 174December 5, 2019 12:11 PM

R174 Chris's own loyal friends said the same thing... He wouldn't make any decision without talking to her no matter how insignificant. Even basic stuff like communicating with his fellow band members in the studio or a producer, he would whisper in Susan's ear and she'll pass on the information, as if he was a child. All this was as early as 1988. After his ugly breakup with her he latched on to another woman, continuing the same habit and became detached from every one else in his life and wouldn't talk to friends of 20 years without his new wife being the middle man. SUSAN SILVER talked about it herself. She seems a bit unaware at times and only realized Chris's dependency on women after he left her.

by Anonymousreply 175December 5, 2019 1:20 PM

True R175. Silver used him for her career, did what countless other advisers do to their money train by coddling and pacifying. His addictions were okay while he was bringing in the money, but as the inevitable downward trend started, the drugs and booze were not okay and she kicked him to the curb. His suicidale was in no way a shock.

What does "par for the course around here" mean to you R174? Not hearing what you want to hear?

by Anonymousreply 176December 5, 2019 1:46 PM

Mia Martini's death by overdose shocked me. She didn't look like an addict or a user at all. She was at that point middle aged and looked level headed and more real in the 90's. She stopped trying to put on this stereotypical graceful Italian singer image she did in the 70's and was just herself. I think she was a lesbian but most Italians insist that she was sad because she couldn't find a good man. Anyway, she had hits after 20 years in the industry and was doing so well and then boom she died while doing coke.

by Anonymousreply 177December 5, 2019 4:07 PM

r177, you don't have to be an addict to die from doing cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 178December 5, 2019 4:14 PM

George "Superman" Reeves' gunshot death back in 1959 shocked people who knew him as the clean-cut hero of the TV series, fighting for truth, justice and the American way. It was officially ruled a suicide, but some people still think he was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 179December 5, 2019 4:36 PM

Freddy Prinze - I had just seen him in concert a few weeks previous and he was happily talking about his newborn son.

by Anonymousreply 180December 5, 2019 4:41 PM

Lucy Gordon was an up and coming British actress who had just starred in a Jane birkin biopic. Gordon hung herself in Paris shortly before the release of the film. So bizarre to be on the (possible ) brink of success and choose to off yourself. Oddly enough, Jane Birkins daughter Kate Barry commited suicide in Paris a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 181December 5, 2019 4:59 PM

R181 it was a Serge Gainsbourg biopic and the actress who played Brigitte Bardot was the scene stealer, it wasn't hard since she had more scenes than Gordon. But Lucy was also in Spiderman... the bad one.

by Anonymousreply 182December 5, 2019 6:03 PM

Really r100??? Really? I would love a Trump suicide. I think millions would be relieved. Throw in a Don Jr and it would be an actual cause for celebration!!

by Anonymousreply 183December 5, 2019 6:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!