Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elliott Smith

Another thread just catapulted me back to the late 90s and made me remember that Elliott Smith was once alive and what a disturbing and sad story his life was

Weird that someone who made such gentle sounding music could have met such a violent and fucked up end

I remember seeing him at the Oscars and Madonna smirking as she read out his name at the ridiculousness of his inclusion. Now she's playing his songs to her fans on her social media accounts at 3am trying to look soulful and deep.

I can't decide if I believe he was murdered or not but his death and the circumstances around it certainly seem to have overshadowed his music, which is a shame as he was an amazing guitarist and lyricist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2019 10:33 PM

It's not that odd--he had attempted suicide before.

I saw him three times in concerts. He was like a walking vacuum on the stage until he started singing--he was always hunched over, trying to avert all eye contact, looking depressed. I am not at all surprised he killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2019 2:49 AM

Janeane and Elliott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2019 2:59 AM

Madge's terrible cover of "Between the Bars"

She likes him now that he's a tragic footnote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2019 3:03 AM

R1 LA or Portland? I believe his early/mid career gigs were supposed to be great but he lost the plot completely on stage towards the end?

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2019 3:15 AM

Needle in the Hay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2019 3:16 AM

As someone who was a huge fan of his music and has probably heard nearly everything he had done ...

[quote]Weird that someone who made such gentle sounding music could have met such a violent and fucked up end

It "sounded" gentle but it's not weird at all. Most of his music, if you listen to the lyrics, was about drug abuse, alcoholism or just feeling like a worthless piece of shit.

Songs like "Say Yes" were rare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2019 3:20 AM

Occam's razor. He passed himself away. Will always miss him, though.

by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2019 3:24 AM

R5 ∆ I read somewhere that the "Haystack Charm" Was a reference to the pro wrestler "Haystacks Calhoun who was 7 ft tall and 600lbs and wore a horseshoe on a chain around his neck for good luck.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2019 3:25 AM

[quote] [R1] LA or Portland?

I saw him twice in Portland and once (on tour) in Atlanta. He was fine on stage once he started singing and playing.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2019 3:27 AM

R6 Indeed. Lyrically his music is incredibly angry and rage filled as anything Cobain ever wrote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2019 3:27 AM

I think he was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2019 3:35 AM

R11 You're not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2019 3:39 AM

R11 Im on the fence. The circumstances are strange and the girlfriend dodgey. But he was very mentally Ill. I once knew a guy who slit his own throat in front of his whole family. These things do happen.

Seems like he was a good person at heart, kind, sweet natured guy and however it happened it was a real tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2019 3:41 AM

Yeah I've met a few people over the years who knew him and said he was very ethical and brave.

He was meant to have been a wonderful brother to.his younger siblings.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2019 4:05 AM

I love Elliot Smith. What a sad ending to a great talent.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2019 4:05 AM

Waltz#2 is one of the most sad and beautiful songs ever written IMO. He so perfectly sums up everything he wants to say. Without being hateful or resentful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2019 4:12 AM

The Mysterious Death of Elliott Smith...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2019 8:07 AM

Interesting memories of Elliott by the woman who ran th recording studio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2019 8:37 AM

R18 pretty creepy stuff. Sounds like dysfunctional personality disordered chaos.

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2019 12:57 PM

She is/ was a very creepy person. She sued his family after his death for part of his estate.

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2019 2:21 PM

R30 See I can kind of see the logic of her wanting some of the estate if he'd agreed to give her money. I can also see her hating his family and thinking they were the ones indirectly responsible for his death.

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2019 2:32 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2019 12:31 AM

OP, his death has "overshadowed" his music only among dreary, necro-creeps such as you.

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2019 12:52 AM

Fuck off R23 we can't all be cool indie kids like you.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2019 1:00 AM

Judging by the fact that his autopsy showed only prescribed drugs like antidepressants, and not heroin or other painkillers, I think he was murdered. But he was a ticking clock, and would have relapsed and probably would have committed suicide anyway, unfortunately. Poor soul.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2019 2:53 AM

Wow, I had no idea about the circumstances of his death. It sounds at least somewhat off and at most *highly* suspicious.

Not saying she killed him, but none of her story makes any sense at all. There are in fact, killers that are strictly opportunistic, meaning they kill only once and never again because they stars don’t line up for them ever again to warrant killing. I think John Ramsey is like that, and this chic could be too.

Holy shite, reading the next door neighbor’s story about the studio and Chiba, it was scary. I wonder if the police ever did handwriting comparisons on his “suicide note” in which he spells his own name incorrectly. Chiba is highly litigious too, don’t be surprised if she gets this thread shut down.

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2019 6:01 AM

My all time favorite performer. Saw him in late, late 2002, a few months before he offed himself, at The Echo. I was in college and dealing with finals. Went anyway. Great show.

Most Elliott Smith posts on DL are posted by me.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2019 7:49 AM

R26 the name was actually spelled correctly on the note. The police report just spelled it incorrectly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2019 10:35 AM

Chiba can kiss my ass. But having said that I think there's plenty that points to suicide. Not least that he'd attempted it before.

History of self mutilation, history of suicide attempts and threats, history of sexual and physical childhood abuse. He was on Strattera and Paxil, both of which can increase suicidal ideation. He was probably suffering from drug induced schizophrenia.

Also Kings Crossing is a blatant suicide note.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2019 11:01 AM

Obviously something weird going on in that side of his family. They didn't do much to push the investigation either by the sound of it.

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2019 6:02 PM

Does the entertainment field create mental illness in performers, does it attract the mentally ill to performing... or both?

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2019 9:40 PM

r31 I think It does both but there are a lot of unhappy creative people out there who use art to survive. In his case he never really had a chance to be normal with that childhood.

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2019 10:34 PM

For balance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2019 6:18 PM

He lived in one of the Snow White cottages in Los Feliz. Diane in Mulholland Drive scenes in her house were filmed there too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2019 6:35 PM

r34 Is that were he died?

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2019 9:59 PM

Any decent documentaries about him?

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2019 12:39 AM

I still can't listen to his music. I was unfamiliar with the details of his suicide. The girlfriend took the knife out of his chest? No, that's not suspicious at all.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2019 1:05 AM

R35, he was living in Echo Park at the time of his death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2019 5:58 PM

If she killed him, she had the perfect cover, just as if Courtney Love killed Kurt Cobain. Going around telling everyone you're a depressive who has attempted suicide makes it easy to murder you and have no one suspect it's not a successful suicide attempt.

by Anonymousreply 39December 6, 2019 6:03 PM

I just watched Madonna at the Oscars and she doesn't smirk. She smiles at the audience because they picked up that they were supposed to applaud after each nominee is read.

by Anonymousreply 40December 6, 2019 6:19 PM

r39 Plus a shower is an exellent alibi if you've just stabbed someone in the heart.

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2019 10:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!