Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Visiting Los Angeles in the winter

Planning a trip early next year, what is the best time to go? I would like to see it when there is now on the mountains like this, and when the air is cleaner. The last time I visited LA in October the air was so smoggy, it was literally purple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 3, 2020 2:09 AM

I once stayed "in" the smogline.

by Anonymousreply 1November 28, 2019 1:34 AM

December through February is a great time to visit. Crisp air after the rains -- great for hiking and exploring the outlying San Gabriel mountains.

by Anonymousreply 2November 28, 2019 1:36 AM

Gray and dreary. You realize how cheap looking everything is.

by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2019 3:50 AM

OP, that view is from the Baldwin Hills overlook, looking out northeastward, past downtown LA, into the San Gabriel mountains. It is rare that you get such a perfectly clear view like that though.

by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2019 6:17 AM

How cold does it get?

by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2019 7:59 AM

Rain.

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2019 1:09 PM

[quote] December through February is a great time to visit. Crisp air after the rains -- great for hiking and exploring the outlying San Gabriel mountains.

Except for the annual mudslides.

by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2019 1:13 PM

[quote] Rain.

It's raining all weekend in LA and I love it!

by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2019 3:19 PM

I-5 over the Grapevine is closed due to snow right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2019 3:50 PM

Where I live (northeast of downtown), the forecast high for today is only 47. But that's unusually cold for us. This time of year, 60s is normal. Lows in the high 30s/low 40s. It rarely gets below freezing in the non-mountain areas.

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2019 3:52 PM

Never OP. Never.

If you must just cut to the chase and book a flight to Mumbai. .

by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2019 3:57 PM

R9, I hate driving through the Grapevine. Be careful out there -- accidents galore.

by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2019 4:01 PM

There is a speed trap just as you are descending from Tejon Pass on the Grapevine. Beware!

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2019 4:29 PM

Winter is usually a good time to visit, however, now it is raining. LA wet season usually runs from November to April, but most days are clear and sunny. The best time to visit really is in early spring, after the rains. The temperature is cool, the skies are blue, the hills are green, wildflowers are in bloom, etc.

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2019 4:43 PM

It's the one time of the year some Angelenos get to wear over-the-top coats, jackets, scarves, as if we're suffering through a mid-winter freeze in the Alps.

by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2019 5:13 PM

LA is pleasant in Spring (before the June gloom hits the coastal areas) and like most places in the US is nice in the fall. Summer is nice near the ocean, but can suck in the valleys. There's no guarantee that you won't encounter smog, throughout the year.

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2019 5:18 PM

Is the end of January any different than the end of February in terms of weather?

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2019 6:20 PM

R17, end of February is starting to warm up.

by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2019 6:24 PM

I've lived here all my life and I have NEVER seen snow capped mountains like that

by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2019 6:30 PM

Really? There was quite a bit of snow on the mountains last winter (when we had all that rain down below.)

by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2019 6:34 PM

R19, there is almost always snow in the San Gabriel Mountains during winter, especially in the Wrightwood-Mt. Baldy area. However, those mountain ranges are so far away that you don't see them from the basin except on a clear day and on higher elevation. The picture in OP's link, however, is a forced perspective illusion, making those mountains seem a lot closer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2019 6:47 PM

R21 is right on.

by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2019 9:01 PM

That view is a photographic illusion.

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2019 9:06 PM

Angelenos who want to visit snow for the weekend, usually head out to Big Bear, Idyllwild, Wrightwood and rent a cabin. Families with kids take them up the Angeles Crest into the San Gabriels for snow play for a day -- that was the first place I ever saw snow. Crystal Lake has snow, though it's a long drive up Hwy 39.

by Anonymousreply 24November 28, 2019 9:28 PM

Stay home, it's too cold.

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2019 7:55 AM

It’s a “forced perspective” in that the picture was taken from far away with a telephoto lens: it compresses planes compared to an imagined “real life” view and makes the background images appear bigger than seen with naked eye.

It’s the opposite of a close up, wide angled lens pic, that makes the foreground image (a cock shot) look larger than life.

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2019 8:42 AM

I was there last January and it was rainy and chilly most of the time. So rainy, in fact, that on the last day of my visit, parts of the PCH were closed due to flooding and mudslides.

by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2019 8:59 AM

R13, Isn't that part of the Grapevine whee a skateboarder got a speeding ticket? Made the international news.

by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2019 9:31 AM

Is it a good or bad idea to visit over Oscar weekend?

by Anonymousreply 29November 29, 2019 10:56 PM

IMO, the only bad time to visit Los Angeles is when it's hot, i.e., summer and into September, sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2019 11:27 PM

Even summers are not totally terrible, as long as you're not out in direct heat and summer evenings in LA are lovely. I can think of worse places to be in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2019 3:15 AM

I was in Thousand Oaks this morning and I lookEd to the north and the mountains had snow on them! It was really cool. I think those mountains are north of Moorpark/ Simi Valley.

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2019 3:30 AM

After a few steady days of cold rain, snow up in the San Gabriels is not unusual.

by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2019 8:41 AM

There's a LOT of snow up there now. I was driving east on the 210 yesterday and was surprised at how much there was already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2019 7:21 PM

Mt. Wilson is filled with snow right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2019 10:00 PM

Mountain High actually closed for a day amid heavy snowfall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2019 10:01 PM

Crystal Lake finally got some snow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2019 10:07 PM

Crystal Lake is only about 25 miles from me, but it would take nearly an hour to get there on the mountain roads.

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2019 10:21 PM

R38, yep. Highway 39 is a very curvy, mountainous road; even moreso, the closer you get to Crystal Lake. It's a shame that CalTrans decided not to finish paving the last seven miles of that road -- that would have connected it to Angeles Crest and Wrightwood.

by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2019 10:29 PM

I believe they've done it a few times, but it keeps getting destroyed by slides, etc. Mother Nature just isn't having it. I lived nearby for 32 years, and I think it was only open for a few years in the '90s. And apparently there's a "bridge to nowhere" out there in the back country.

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2019 2:52 AM

I would normally say go in late February/early March, in case the snows have a late start, and because February is our wettest month. But as you've heard, we've gotten a lot of snow, so it might be good to go as early as possible, in the event that things turn warm and dry.

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2019 5:52 AM

R40, the Bridge to Nowhere is one of my favorite hikes in the San Gabriels. It's along the east fork of Highway 39 and has many river crossings, so it's refreshing for a hot, early summer hike.

Yeah, I don't see those last seven miles of the highway opening up either. Too many rockslides and too much money required to maintain a stretch of highway that wouldn't see too much traffic anyway. That's too bad for Adam, the guy who runs the Crystal Lake cabins and general store -- he's been the one advocating for years to open up the road. It would definitely help his business.

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2019 7:09 AM

So I will be there at the end of next month.

Which is the better hill to climb, Griffith Park Observatory, Hollywood sign or Runyon Canyon?

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2019 9:38 PM

It's the Griffith Observatory, not the Griffith Park Observatory.

by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2019 1:45 AM

Sometimes I watch Tommy Cam, at USC. The camera is live 24/7 and faces north from just south of downtown LA. The hills in the background are the Santa Monica mountains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 5, 2019 1:53 AM

R44 Thank you for correcting me, you dried up tube of cuntpaste.

by Anonymousreply 46December 5, 2019 1:55 AM

You're probably one of those morons who calls it "The Macy's Day Parade."

by Anonymousreply 47December 5, 2019 2:15 AM

It's a perfect time to break out the furs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 5, 2019 3:00 AM

January can be a beautiful month--sometimes as high as 80s, but I think average temp is 60s daytime, mostly sunny, 50 to high 40s at night. February is not that different but it tends to rain more. The last few years have been unpredictable. If you live in a cold place LA is nice in Jan/Feb. If you live in LA, it's the same as always except maybe when it's usually hotter n September and October.

by Anonymousreply 49December 5, 2019 3:10 AM

R43, Runyon Canyon has more eye candy. Griffith Observatory hike from Fern Dell is a jaunt up a fire road, but the Observatory itself is cool if you've never been there. I've never actually done the hike up to the Hollywood sign, but I've heard that the end vantage point you end up at is underwhelming. I'd go with Griffith Observatory.

by Anonymousreply 50December 5, 2019 3:16 AM

Best time to visit? Never. Save your money and go to Walmart and look at the trash there.

by Anonymousreply 51December 5, 2019 3:16 AM

If it gets too cold in LA, you can always take day trip out to the desert.

by Anonymousreply 52December 5, 2019 3:42 PM

Glad to see lots of fellow Angelenos on here. It's going to be in the low to mid 60s probably all month here in December during the day. Drops down to high 40s to mid 50s at night. It is the rainy season especially in Jan-Feb-March. April can bring some rain but is usually nice.

by Anonymousreply 53December 5, 2019 3:47 PM

I would love to go see Joshua Tree, but to rent a car for the day and drive out there & back for four hours seems like such a hassle.

by Anonymousreply 54December 5, 2019 5:31 PM

R54, you could stay in Palm Springs for the night.

by Anonymousreply 55December 5, 2019 5:34 PM

Weather right now where I'm at in LA is lightly drizzling. It rained a few days ago and the greenest grass has sprouted in my backyard, making it look like a grassy patch of Ireland. I love when it rains in LA.

by Anonymousreply 56December 6, 2019 10:53 PM

I follow someone on Instagram who lives in a high rise. Sierra something? Cher is/was his neighbour. Anyway, he often posts the view from his window and I have have seen those snow capped mountains way, way off in the distance and thought they were pretty.

I love LA. Lived there in the past and love to visit now. The lifestyle was perfect for me. Im an outdoorsman and I was able to ski, surf, hike,camp, visit wineries, swim, be outdoors year round basically. Loved weekend trips to Palm Springs and Santa Barbara. I had a core group of good friends and couldn’t care less about being in any cliques so I never had bad experiences with trashy people or vapid people.

by Anonymousreply 57December 7, 2019 12:48 AM

Its so clear in this video. It looks like it was filmed in January.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2019 5:00 PM

I don't care from what vantage point that photo is situated, the mountains do not look that close. They are far fucking away from the paltry LA city skyline and there is almost always a thick band of smog across any view of pictured mountains. The clearest views are when the horrible Santa Ana winds have been blowing, but without added smoke from brushfires fucking up the sky. If there's been a rain storm and wind has blown it all away, just sometimes there is a tiny, fleeting, cool, clear TING! when one gazes in that direction. But again, I promise, those mountains in the OP pic have been zoomed!

by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2019 5:27 PM

Stay out of the SFV if you don't want smog. If you can stay in Santa Monica or beach area (not Malibu - too far from the good stuff unless you just want to stay in Malibu).

by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2019 5:41 PM

Which is better to visit, the Broad or the two MOCA branches downtown?

by Anonymousreply 61December 23, 2019 4:58 PM

MOCA

by Anonymousreply 62December 23, 2019 5:14 PM

Op, I used to regularly visit LA in the winter and had a great time. Fewer tourists and lots to do. Sometimes it's rainy or cold, but it's much nicer than where I live nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 63December 23, 2019 5:16 PM

Do people still go on the Universal Studios tour? Is that still a thing?

by Anonymousreply 64December 23, 2019 7:42 PM

R64, the tour still gets some riders, but mainly people go for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 23, 2019 7:50 PM

OMG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 27, 2019 9:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 27, 2019 9:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 27, 2019 9:20 PM

R68, nice! There is snow galore on the San Gabriel mountains right now. Even some of the front peaks that don't usually get any.

by Anonymousreply 69December 27, 2019 9:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 28, 2019 7:18 PM

To get back to OP's question, April is usually a good time to be in LA.

by Anonymousreply 71December 28, 2019 11:54 PM

It can be quite hot in April for a week or two, depending on the year. February is usually the rainiest month but with climate change there is no "usually any more." The next few weeks look like they're going to be sunny and in the 60s daytime.

by Anonymousreply 72December 29, 2019 1:29 AM

I'm fascinated with you LA people that think 80 degrees is hot.

by Anonymousreply 73December 29, 2019 3:51 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 29, 2019 7:12 AM

Those are some gorgeous photos! I wish I could learn how to take some like that.

by Anonymousreply 75December 29, 2019 3:13 PM

If I go to the Broad on a weekday morning will there be a line?

by Anonymousreply 76December 30, 2019 1:41 PM

Also is there anything worth seeing in the south end of Downtown in the new complexes along Figueroa and Hope?

by Anonymousreply 77December 30, 2019 1:58 PM

Also what is a nice little cute dark bar in downtown that I can hide out for for a few hours?

by Anonymousreply 78December 30, 2019 4:07 PM

Is the Beverly Center still under construction?

by Anonymousreply 79December 30, 2019 7:52 PM

We'll be doing a whole tour (self driven) of Southern California next month, including Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego and eventually Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 80December 30, 2019 7:54 PM

[quote]Summer is nice near the ocean, but can suck in the valleys.

Not "can", DOES. There's not much to do in the Valleys, anyway, so don't bother coming here in the summer, unless113F and smog are your ideal vacation conditions.

by Anonymousreply 81December 30, 2019 10:28 PM

R81, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills, Toluca Lake disagree with you.

by Anonymousreply 82December 30, 2019 10:51 PM

[quote] Also what is a nice little cute dark bar in downtown that I can hide out for for a few hours?

My favorite little gay bar in downtown is gone now -- Mattachine Bar-- but Cole's is cute and dark and they serve drinks there. It is one of the oldest restaurants in LA, so there is some LA historical importance there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 30, 2019 10:56 PM

OMG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 3, 2020 2:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!