Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lucas Hedges >>>>Timothée Chalamet

I know DLers are crazy about Chalamet but hear me out - Lucas has picked more interesting roles than Timothée so far. Lucas' performances in Manchester by the sea, Boy Erased and Ladybird have all been very powerful and critically praised. He is currently being praised for playing adult Shia Lebouf in "Honey Boy".

While Timothée has done very well in 'Call me by your name' and 'Beautiful Boy' - his recent performance in "The King" fell awfully short of what Henry V should have been like.

One of the biggest reasons people don't go gaga over Lucas here is because he isn't conventionally good looking while Timothée is(at least according to DLers!) . There is something very grounded about Lucas' performances, you never feel like he is acting. Timmy has been brilliant too - in the right part - but lacks Lucas' discipline... And the ability to choose better scripts, obviously!😂

by Anonymousreply 417December 17, 2019 12:38 PM

Don’t forget Lucas in Three Billboards. He was really good in that.

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2019 11:18 AM

Pics or he ain't happening!

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2019 11:19 AM

Oh yes! R1 Sorry for missing Three Billboards. Another exemplary performance by Lucas.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2019 11:20 AM

Love to see a film of them fucking.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2019 11:21 AM

R4, I’ve seen it. Great use of the double-headed dildo.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2019 11:29 AM

Yes, OP, but Hedges doesn't make us use the word "adorbz" or go "Squeeeeeeeeeee!"

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2019 11:32 AM

And more likely to actually be gay.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2019 11:32 AM

He was terrific in Ben Is Back too.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2019 11:47 AM

Recently wrapped a film with M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2019 11:50 AM

He's okay, but he's no Tim O'Tay. No blond could ever be.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2019 11:59 AM

He loves to play rape victims, trade, or guys unwilling to address their latent homosexuality. Timothee is very confident as an actor and individual which gives him an edge. I always want to wrap Lucas into my arms for a nice ling cuddle when he's on screen. Timothee gives good face, but he's a stick figure. In the end, I choose Lucas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2019 12:14 PM

^The "He" in the first sentence is Lucas Hedges.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2019 12:21 PM

Lucas is a closet case

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2019 12:29 PM

I saw Lucas in the Lucas-and-Nicole Kidman movie, but have not felt inspired to see anything else with him in it (Julia Roberts? No, thanks). I'll see Timmy in anything, OTOH. I will be in the audience opening day for [italic]A Rainy Day in New York[/italic], should that day ever arrive.

The only time I give any consideration to Lucas is when someone mentions him on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2019 12:35 PM

Lucas is completely bland, but is marginally more interesting than the awful Calumet.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2019 12:43 PM

Hedges was also really good on Broadway in The Waverly Gallery.

In fact at the Tony Awards, Elaine May credited his performance in the last scene for her winning the award.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2019 12:53 PM

As a teenage gayling I had a crush on him as the antagonist from Wes Andersen's Moonrise Kingdom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2019 1:04 PM

Chalamet is more gifted actoe and has a better range. And he is captivating on screen. Lucas is Good too but talent wise he is NO match to Timothee

And talkung about theater Timothee actually won a Best actor award for his offbroadway pperformance in Prodigal Son

I personally wish them both all the success in the world. The more talented People in the industry the better all of us

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2019 1:28 PM

Misspelled every thing but you got the point

There are also amazing Barry Keagon, and Harris Dickinson, and a guy from 1917 Dont know his name, jj jerohme(?) and others

And a whole bunch of growing Child actors Who Will be killing it in 5 years. Such a talented generation

We as an audience are for some treat

by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2019 1:32 PM

To each his own, but I don't find Chalamet attractive at all. Too skinny and bony and his face is meh.

Hedges at least looks like he's gone through puberty.

by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2019 2:02 PM

Lucas is very talented but I think he'll end up more of a character actor. I don't think he has the screen charisma to be a leading man.

by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2019 2:03 PM

Are you having a stroke r18 / r19?

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2019 2:05 PM

I would agree that Chalamet has more range and he is certainly a more riveting screen presence - he can draw the viewer in, which is something Hedges doesn't always do (except in LADYBIRD). Another fine CHALAMET performance is in the indie film MISS STEVENS where he plays a troubled high school drama student. Near the end, he does a speech from DEATH OF A SALESMAN as the son Biff and it was excellent.

However, THE KING was a real misfire on multiple fronts - the only performances that broke through the deadening mumblecore approach were Pattinson as the Dauphin and whoever played Hotspur (HE should have played Henry).

I loved Hedges in MANCHESTER and LADYBIRD, but his other work has a certain sameness to it even though he's effective in the parts. He's barely in THREE BILLBOARDS - there was nothing notable about his work in it. Now, I haven't seen THE 90'S or HONEY BOY, so it will be interesting to see what he does in the future. He's certainly worth watching and will have a long career.

Chalamet, I think, needs to settle down from the initial hype and make some smart choices. He's extremely talented.

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2019 3:05 PM

I loved Chalamet in The KING, but I know I am in a very small minority. He had to prove himself to me, give his slight stature. By the end I was on his side and highly invested. Not trying to argue, just stating that somehow that one worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2019 3:09 PM

[quote]He is currently being praised for playing adult Shia Lebouf in "Honey Boy".

What???

Also, I would say that, if anything, Hedges is a bit more conventionally good-looking than Chalamet. Neither of them is conventionally gorgeous, but I think most people would describe both of them as very attractive in a cute way.

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2019 3:10 PM

Timmy and Arnie’s sex scenes were sweet in CALL ME BY YOUR NAME, but I highly enjoyed Lucas being raped in BOY ERASED

More of Lucas being sodomized against his will, please

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2019 3:22 PM

Lucas also gave up the booty for his drug addictions in Ben is Home, but it's said not shown.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2019 3:31 PM

[Quote]I know DLers are crazy about Chalamet

Please don't mistake the crazy cabal that is obsessed with Chalamet and Hammer as the average DLer. These fanclub things always attract their own following.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2019 3:44 PM

R28 is the referring to those fat, straight, socially retarded women twats that were exiled by Muriel a few months ago.

Yes, there are many gay fans of Chalamet on DL. We used to have fairly entertaining and informative discussions about him, before those cunts discovered Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2019 3:51 PM

Chalamet's face into the camera in the long last scene of CMBYN was one of greatest moments of cinema acting ever. His performance in The King was horrendous. Baffling what he thought was doing. There's bad, then there's so bad it's kind of interesting or funny, then there is a third level of bad that is actually kind of sickening. Chalamet in the The King, for me, was def at that third level.

Agree with comment earlier - Hedges may eventually be just a character actor. Given that he may well have a longer, more successful career than Chalamet.

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2019 3:53 PM

Timmy looks like he’d be a whiny bottom (“take it out, it HURTS!!!”)

Lucas would wince and ask you to be gentle for the first five minutes, but he’d relax and ride it like a champ.

Team Hedges

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2019 3:54 PM

r31 for the win.

Hedes will even let hot blonds go in dry, if they come calling in the middle of the night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2019 4:01 PM

R23 "However, THE KING was a real misfire on multiple fronts - the only performances that broke through the deadening mumblecore approach were Pattinson as the Dauphin and whoever played Hotspur (HE should have played Henry)."

That's your opinion which is viable but i want to note it is not universal. A lot of people and high profile critics praised his performance in the King (some of them really hated RobPatz's too) But again - that is a matter of preferences. He got a really big following of people (straight dudes) who despised or did not care about him before. Check on his king's speech video on youtube and its comments. 20 000 views - hundreds of straight dudes salivating about how great he is in it. I find it funny how divisive his performance in the king. Cos I read so many surprises from the acclaimed critics who were shocked that the movie gets pinned often and who raved Timothee in it and did not understand the lukewarm reaction from others.

I personally like his performance there (did not love) I enjoyed 70% of it. for me, weakest parts were a few quiet scenes where I felt he lacked the gravitas that those sciences needed due to either lack of experience or some other reason dunno. But i watched it only once. I check it again cos sometimes a movie play different with a second watch And i loved Rob in it and Harris. But Harris always good.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2019 4:20 PM

* that those scenes needed

by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2019 4:24 PM

r33 i myself have a long ride home to see family for Thanksgiving. I will be downloading THE KING for a second viewing. Fingers crossed that I still love it!

by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2019 4:32 PM

R30 also think that Lucas is safe career-wise. He has more conventional looks. He is manly - he can be a character actor or even go to be a lead.

But Timothee on the other hand. I doubt he will man up. Which means he will not be cast as a lead after he turns 30. He might be forced to be a character actor himself due to his androgynous appearance. It is his advantage now, cos he looks young and plays characters that his look is suited for. But whom is he gonna play if he looks like this when he is 30? 35? There are not that much roles for him with this face. And I mean that Hollywood and main audience do not understand not conventionally looking men.. yet. I feel that it gonna be hard for him to be cast in anything good in 5-6 years from here. Hope to be wrong . Love him as an actor and want to enjoy him as long as possible

by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2019 4:35 PM

Lucas looks like Randy Harrison's homely brother.

by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2019 4:37 PM

its actually funny that Lucas is 100% my type and I really like him as an actor and discovered him first but its Timothee who is not even close to my type that blows me away on a screen. Can't explain why it works this way and why i do not on react on the same level to Lucas

by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2019 4:45 PM

PLEASE use your earbuds, r35.

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2019 5:10 PM

R36 I agree that Chalamet will never become a traditional alpha male leading man, but the fact that audiences loved his performance in The King more than the critics says so much about his appeal. He's one-of-a-kind and his fanbase seems to be growing at a rapid rate. Hollywood may have to expand its idea of what makes an ideal leading man. I find his acting to be sometimes over the top, but he's still fascinating to watch because of his expressiveness. The camera loves his face, and people connect with him. I suspect that will be true for many years to come. He looks like he's from a much earlier time in cinema history, like Louis Garrel but more sensitive. I also really want to see A Rainy Day in New York like someone said above. Hedges is just another good actor to me. I wish him well.

by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2019 5:37 PM

Lucas is a very good actor but doesn't have the range or the classic good looks of Timothee. My hope for both of them is they stay away from superhero movies and continue to give smart strong performances in films with great writers and directors. Also, don't move to Hollywood. Looking forward to flying to London to see Timo on stage next spring.

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2019 5:40 PM

Tim O'Tay is the only actor I've liked this much since I first saw Jake in Donnie Darko. Everyone else just melts away. I'd love to see them in something together, preferably portraying a pair of gays. Malone and Sutherland?

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2019 5:50 PM

R40 Watched A Rainy Day in NY loved it so much. Came in unprepared, with small awareness that every lead plays WA in his movies. Its Good, loved it. Every actor delivered. And Timothee there jfc yammy to say the least

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2019 6:11 PM

R43 are you AIKC?

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2019 6:13 PM

R44 what does it mean?

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2019 6:16 PM

R43 Did you see it in Europe? I think he'd be good at comedy, and I saw a clip of him singing in the style of Chet Baker. What a good pairing. I'd see it for that alone. I suppose it will be available as a rental in the U.S. eventually. A year or two?

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2019 6:18 PM

I find Lucas more appealing than Timothee. Timothee is the stronger talent, but I do have a weakness for blonde guys.

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2019 6:35 PM

R46 Yes saw its dubbed version but singing was his) Selena and Elle are both amazing there too.

I am dying to see him in a comedy since that YouTube Video of him performing in Sweet Charity. I think he is a comedy actor first everything else second. Pity no one cast him in it. Such a waste. But heard his Little Women role has elements of it though

by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2019 6:40 PM

R47 heard Lucas is super sexy in Waves. Cant wait to see it!

by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2019 6:45 PM

Maybe they will do a movie together where Hedges can bottom for Chalamet. They can see who has the ability to out cry the other.

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2019 6:45 PM

R50 i d prefer it the other way. My actual daily wank fantasy. Can some Good person write a fanfic or smth like this with both of them? Would read it as the Bible

by Anonymousreply 51November 27, 2019 6:50 PM

Hedges, with his little booty, is a natural born bottom. Chalamet, may be smaller in stature, but he gives off top vibes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2019 6:54 PM

R48 Good to know. What a shame the media decided to trash that movie along with Woody Allen in the wake of #metoo. I support that movement and realize some people think Allen is guilty though he's been cleared twice. I personally think Mia Farrow set Allen up. But whatever the truth may be, I find it outrageous that people felt the need to attack Chalamet of all people for working with Allen as if hundreds of other actors haven't also worked with that man subsequent to the accusations made against him. Why not go after Colin Firth or Jesse Eisenberg, who also starred in Woody Allen movies? But they just went after Chalamet, with that self-righteous Christiane Amanpour leading the mob. It made no sense. Sorry to get off topic, but it's been bothering me.

by Anonymousreply 53November 27, 2019 7:24 PM

R53 we are all here off-topic cos OP clearly started the thread to trash Timothee and praise Lucas. failed. We love them both

I noticed that it is a trend on twitter now to bring Timothee for outrage purposes whenever a person wants that attention. Unfortunately, he brings the hype

So he is trashed for Woody Allen by all the people who stan actors who also worked with WA (the hypocrisy!!) He is trashed for being white and successful ( when Ava mentioned him and Ansel in her interview - that she wishes HW would embrace POC actors as much as it did with these two meaning that the problem is on the executive level - all that people heard was (or they interpreted it this way) "Timothee is the one to blame that POC actors are not as hyped as he is" (as if it is his fault in any way)) i mean he breathed.... So now every other week there these stupid pitting of him with any living POC actor and trashing Timothee gives you that points Some even tried to push the blame on him when Amazon was burning lol i mean people just really want to hate on him. The reason is not important. He generates clicks it is convenient to play a victim card with his face as an offender on it.

Or like that video of him performing as Barbs - where a lot of people thought he said an N-word when he said Nicki (an actual lyrics) - i saw so many posts on twitter where they tried to make a big drama out of it. Out of curiosity, asked one of them why they try to push that he said it when he never said it and it was cleared and confirmed like a thousand times. The answer was - "if i heard it this way then its happened".......no words

i think Lucas is lucky not to be that much on the radar. He avoids so much trashing by being not that visible. Timothee takes all the shit for himself and that other fellow white dude

by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2019 8:01 PM

forgot another trashing things: straight dudes trashing him for being androgynous and wearing all these clothes, some of them trashing him for speaking about toxic masculinity in interviews, also a lot of people seems to be personally offended that he is a lanky tiny dude and girls love him anyway. like he is all this "beta male" (their words) and successful. and pretty. and actually yes have talent. no bigger crime than that. it seems you need to lack in something that people would forgive you your success

by Anonymousreply 55November 27, 2019 8:12 PM

Most straight people I know never even heard of Timothee Chalamet. So I'm not sure about that Twitter crowd, but he's not even a house hold name at this point outside of younger kids and some of the gays.

by Anonymousreply 56November 27, 2019 8:19 PM

R56 True, but I predict that will change when Little Women comes out. And if that movie doesn't make him famous, Dune probably will unless it bombs. Time will tell. Dune will be his make or break moment and that's a year away.

by Anonymousreply 57November 27, 2019 8:33 PM

[quote]Lucas looks like Randy Harrison's homely brother.

Randy Harrison is not a very good actor, and he always comes across as gay, so he'll always be limited to gay roles.

[quote]I agree that Chalamet will never become a traditional alpha male leading man, but the fact that audiences loved his performance in The King more than the critics says so much about his appeal.

How do you know how much audiences liked his performance? Are you judging by Rotten Tomatoes, or something like that?

[quote]Lucas is a very good actor but doesn't have the range or the classic good looks of Timothee.

Whether one finds Chalamet better looking that Hedges or vice-versa is a matter of opinion, but to say that Chalamet has "classic good looks" is quite bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 58November 27, 2019 9:16 PM

[quote]Dune will be his make or break moment and that's a year away.

Anyone know if there will be a Dune teaser released soon?

As for the debate, they’re different actors in different boxes, so to speak. I think they’ll both have solid careers, at the very least. Now Ansel Elgort, that boy should be concerned...

by Anonymousreply 59November 27, 2019 9:32 PM

R58 Yes. I was going by Rotten Tomatoes in making my conclusion that audiences loved him in The King. In fact, they liked him way more than I did for that particular movie. I was baffled by his non-reaction to the beheading of his former friend. Not even a flinch. I guess he was going for austere. I thought it came off as unfeeling, but over 1000 people thought he was brilliant enough to merit leaving a review, and they seemed to be mostly people who weren't previously fans.

by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2019 9:45 PM

SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILIERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS

r60 he just came back from a battle, where his oldest friend was killed, only to find out that his new "friend" orchestrated the whole thing for profit. The King himself was in danger of losing his life or the support of his people if he had to turn back. It's very easy to feel nothing when an already wealthy guy lied to the king, costing thousands of lives, just for some land that would be lost in the next inevitable war.

by Anonymousreply 61November 28, 2019 1:32 AM

R60 lol saw so many other interpretations of that scene. I love the emotions he is. Channeling there. I guess every one read it differently cos we read emotions differently

But yes RT, YouTube section comments, Twitter from critics and people from other countries, the fact that the movie Just Last week was on the 1 place by popularity on IMBD and Timothee had 2 place among actors by same metric there, very positive reddit reactions thread. All of it says that the King and his pperformance there is very liked by a lot of people

by Anonymousreply 62November 28, 2019 2:09 AM

R54 Did you even read what I wrote? I have called Timmy a brilliant actor who is just not choosing the right parts as opposed to Lucas who has made better choices. I like Timothée a lot or I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of watching his movies.

Anyway, I agree with the poster above. Dune is going to be a make or break moment for him - I think he understands that too. Especially since The King didn't make much of an impact outside his usual fans (and a few straights who are interested in period dramas). I heard a lot more about Rob Pattinson's acting than Tim's.

On that note : What parts do you think both the actors - Lucas and Timothée - should play next? You are not allowed to say topping each other or wanking each other or any other variation of this. We are all movie fanatics here so answer sincerely..

by Anonymousreply 63November 28, 2019 3:45 AM

As for the bizarre hate against Tim - why do you people even go on twitter? I will never understand that... It's a cesspool of crazies. I think blaming him for Amazon fires is one of the tame things they would have said about him over there😂

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2019 3:47 AM

If Lucas Hedges ever needs a "daddy", I'd like to throw my name in.

by Anonymousreply 65November 28, 2019 4:22 AM

R61 MORE SPOILERS. I think we're talking about 2 different scenes. You seem to be talking about one of the final scenes (in which Chalamet did show emotion, namely anger). I was talking about a much earlier scene, a grisly beheading. I think it was the midpoint. He was sitting and observing, and his face was placid. He also had no lines in that scene. It was odd. R63 I'd like to see them both in a comedy or musical, something light and fun, or a road trip movie or a murder mystery like Gosford Park.

by Anonymousreply 66November 28, 2019 4:28 AM

Villains. I d like them to play a dark character

by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2019 7:08 AM

r66 ah yes, now I remember! Yeah, I figure he was putting on a strong facade. Additionally, he wasn't spending that much time around the court until he became king. I assume he started this trend soon after he came of age, so those "friendships" were likely being held by their family bonds than close relations, despite his proclamations during his coronation night dinner speech.

I loved his sister's input. A real shame that he couldn't keep her around.

by Anonymousreply 68November 28, 2019 7:34 AM

r32 That's a hot scene

by Anonymousreply 69November 28, 2019 12:35 PM

[quote]Dune is going to be a make or break moment for him - I think he understands that too.

I have NEVER understood this perspective. A movie like DUNE -- or any other big action/adventure/special effect movie -- has SO MANY parts to it that I think it's ridiculous to see it as "making or breaking" the career of the lead.

by Anonymousreply 70November 28, 2019 2:57 PM

The boys send their love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 28, 2019 3:20 PM

who caaares

by Anonymousreply 72November 28, 2019 3:20 PM

Lucas was so good in "Ben Is Back." As was Julia. Given the right material, she can be very effective. But people hate her so much that they think she's always as terrible as she was in "Mirror Mirror" or some of--many of--those others....

by Anonymousreply 73November 28, 2019 3:43 PM

Thank you r73, my brother wasn't into drugs but he had terrible PTSD from serving. There were moments when he would do outlandish things that would drive my family up the wall through his harmful behavior. My mother's would just keep trying to reach that optimistic 20 year old she sent off to Basic, even if she was actually dealing with a 28 year old depressed veteran with anger issues. Julia's performance felt very real to me. The exhaustion and eventual acceptance were great moments. Oscar worthy, nah, but it delivered on what I expected. Lucas did a wonderful job as well, but Julia was holding that movie down.

by Anonymousreply 74November 30, 2019 3:46 AM

I can't stand Lucas since he's one of those guys that 'came out' but didn't actually come out.

Both are extremely gay and will probably come out late in life.

by Anonymousreply 75November 30, 2019 3:50 AM

Chalamet seem straight to me, but artsy as hell (complete with a French last name). He's probably tried dick but is genuinely into woman, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 76November 30, 2019 3:58 AM

When did Lucas come out/not come out?

by Anonymousreply 77November 30, 2019 4:17 AM

R77

[quote]“I recognize myself as existing on that spectrum: Not totally straight, but also not gay and not necessarily bisexual.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 30, 2019 4:24 AM

So, he will gladly use the casting couch without needing to down three shots of vodka, before riding the D, but will end up marrying a woman. Got it r78.

by Anonymousreply 79November 30, 2019 5:01 AM

Lucas's dad, Peter Hedges, was quite conventionally attractive in his youth.

A quarter-turn of the genetic wheel in a different direction, and Lucas could have been gorgeous.

That's gotta suck for the poor lad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 30, 2019 5:26 AM

Lucas's older brother, Simon, is quite the hot piece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 30, 2019 6:15 AM

Might be easier to just link directly to the pic R81

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 30, 2019 6:31 AM

The brother looks like some douchey fratbro.

by Anonymousreply 83December 2, 2019 2:56 AM

Nope.

His Oscar nominated daddy got him his part in Manchester by the Sea (and his part on Broadway), being close friends with the director.

He's only had one leading role - Boy Erased - and totally failed at holding the camera's attention. Does not have the charisma to lead films.

In most of his films, he has about 15-20 minutes screentime. It's easy to book good projects as a glorified extra.

He's on his 5th box office flop in a row (Mid90s, Boy Erased, Ben is Back, Honey Boy, Waves). Other young actors would be referred to as box office poison if they were in that position but Hedges gets away with it because no one cares about him.

In my books, he's been truly great once: Lady Bird. And that's likely down to Gerwig's skills with directing actors as the whole ensemble was excellent.

His characters are largely interchangeable. You could swap the characters in Manchester, Three Billboards, Lady Bird, Boy Erased, Ben is Back and Waves without barely being able to tell the difference. It's as if the same character has been placed in different situations and places. He takes no risks.

by Anonymousreply 84December 2, 2019 5:43 AM

You forgot to sign your post at r84, Timmy.

by Anonymousreply 85December 2, 2019 12:46 PM

I love them both. The fact that Lucas is dating an ugly niggerella breaks my heart. I hate the world.

by Anonymousreply 86December 2, 2019 1:39 PM

Lol, “dating”. We all know where that boy’s bread is buttered.

by Anonymousreply 87December 2, 2019 2:03 PM

R86

Love you Sweetie!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 2, 2019 7:35 PM

Worthless negroide. It makes me sick to imagine this ape touching Lucas' precious pale skin.

by Anonymousreply 89December 2, 2019 7:40 PM

R84, I don't know if Hedges' dad got him the part in MANCHESTER, but since Hedges got an Oscar nom for it, I seriously doubt he needed Dad's help getting cast in WAVERLY GALLERY. Or anything else.

by Anonymousreply 90December 2, 2019 7:40 PM

R7, they ,are both gay

by Anonymousreply 91December 2, 2019 8:04 PM

R89 Is a little better that Taylor has all access to Lucas' quivering white anatomy. Oh the things she must do to him, even before getting out the BB strapon. That's right, R89, Lucas loves bottoming for her.

by Anonymousreply 92December 2, 2019 8:15 PM

^^better=bitter, of course

by Anonymousreply 93December 2, 2019 8:16 PM

R31, I think you should ask Hammer and Kid Cudi about that

by Anonymousreply 94December 2, 2019 8:18 PM

Whose dick do you reckon he's tried, R76?

by Anonymousreply 95December 2, 2019 8:44 PM

Oh my horror! This thread is turning into one of those typical timmy armie threads now😩

by Anonymousreply 96December 3, 2019 4:05 AM

Go away, Timmy. Shawn Mendes needs a fuckbuddy, try that.

by Anonymousreply 97December 3, 2019 4:55 AM

lol lol, ain't no way tiny tim is straight. just take one look at his make out session with his "gf" in Capri. barf.

by Anonymousreply 98December 3, 2019 10:18 AM

R90 Of course he needed daddy's help. His first appearance on screen was in daddy's film. One of his films last year was another of daddy's. He's a nepotism baby through and through, and he wouldn't have got anywhere without him.

by Anonymousreply 99December 3, 2019 1:15 PM

Of course Hedges needed and had daddy's help. His first performance in a movie was one of daddy's. He's hardly the type that would appeal without a serious leg up in the industry and even with that leg up, he still struggles to appeal, judging by his box office receipts and lack of real fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 100December 3, 2019 1:17 PM

@R98 that Tim is tiny? And you know this how?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 3, 2019 4:40 PM

I'm pretty sure Lucas will have a very good career, he is a good actor and he has the looks to play whatever he wants. Chalamet is a good actor too, but if he wants mainstream success it could backfire big time.

Tim has a devoted online following but he just doesn't have mainstream appeal, and he doesn't know how to play the game. He wants to use a pr relationship but then he doesn't know how to react when he is questioned about that relationship. And frankly, if you want to use a relationship to increase your profile better use a real one, because only Shawn Mendes is worst at faking interest in his supposed girlfriend.

Both have really good careers, both got praised, but in my opinion they are character actors. To be honest, most young actors seem very far from being a traditional lead man material, but who knows, maybe with the right film that could change. Even i don't think Lucas is interested on a career focused on box office.

Anyway, both seem good guys and inteligent (even if Lucas "coming out" was just a nonsense) and they can act, and have enough background to recover if a movie tanks (or even a couple of movies)

by Anonymousreply 102December 3, 2019 5:19 PM

R100: I found ridiculous accusations of nepotism when it's pretty obvious the guy can act. And it's not like he used his influences to get high profile roles in big movies, he got secondary roles in small movies most of the time.

He is talented, and he seems an actor easy to work with. Others with way less career are full of themselves

by Anonymousreply 103December 3, 2019 5:24 PM

Sorry for a stupid question but what is a character actor exactly and why is it bad? Why one cant be a character actor and be a lead in soem indie size movies?

Both can pull it off

by Anonymousreply 104December 3, 2019 6:17 PM

R104: It's not bad at all, a lot of times secondary characters are way better than the main ones. And in my opinion that's exactly the route both should try, character roles in big studio films and some main ones on indie films.

In my opinion Chalamet wants to be a big star (that's the only way to find some sense in his absurd stunt with LRD) but he'll be smart enough to keep all his options

by Anonymousreply 105December 3, 2019 6:21 PM

Chalamet can carry a film as he is a charismatic presence. I base that primarily on CMBYN, as he was miscast in THE KING.

Hedges is very talented but not so charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 106December 3, 2019 7:56 PM

Chalamet can carry an indie film, a big budget film is a totally different story. He has a strong appeal but very limited, i can't see him pulling a di Caprio (but maybe it's possible if he finds the right film). Anyway if he really wants to be a lead man in mainstream films he needs to improve his interviews and his red carpet skills (not the fashion ones, that work perfectly fine), and if you do a pr stunt you should own it (fainting just because someone ask you about your fake girlfriend never helps)

by Anonymousreply 107December 3, 2019 8:08 PM

Chalamet will have to go through puberty if he wants to have more widespread romantic appeal.

by Anonymousreply 108December 3, 2019 9:08 PM

For me, he was very charismatic in the King (the only reason i could watch that drag till the end) And he made it watchable enough for me to believe he can carry a big-budget movie. For those who did not like him in the king - Dune will answer the question.

Don't think his social skills on the red carpet in any way of his big star career if he chose one - a lot of stars are bad in this and doing ok. The main thing if he delivers on screen and he does. And he is charming enough to make people fall in love with him. his awkward self makes him even more relatable to others so it a plus

And by this mentions of LRD and interviews in the last posts on this thread, i already recognise those bitches from deleted threads to the exact words they use, so soon these crazy people flood this pure movie and TWO actors (more Lucas actually) discussion and i hope Muriel will close it again.

by Anonymousreply 109December 3, 2019 9:29 PM

R107, he's only 23, you know? Yes, soon to turn 24...but in my world, that is VERY young. It is only grown men who become leading character material. Chalamet is still a VERY YOUNG twink, which means that he still has plenty of time to prove himself and The King wasn't a bad start.

by Anonymousreply 110December 3, 2019 9:35 PM

So my take on this is that Chalamet's highs in CMBYN are higher than anything Hedges has done, though Hedges has managed to deliver a greater number of consistently strong performances so far. He's also got an everyman malleability that Chalamet doesn't, but I think Chalamet has the potential to pull off more difficult roles, but since he's a mannered performer, he needs the proper direction to fit seamlessly into the film. I think Dune will be a huge test for Chalamet. It'll be a definitive film for most of the cast and crew involved.

by Anonymousreply 111December 3, 2019 9:43 PM

I'm curious — is Dune going to be character-driven? If not won't Chalamet be a little bit out of place?

by Anonymousreply 112December 3, 2019 10:52 PM

R103 nepotism is nepotism, it doesn't matter how good of an actor you are. Hedges does not have the look, presence or charisma that he would have succeeded without his father. Which is why even after an Oscar nomination he struggles to get leading roles, even in indie films

by Anonymousreply 113December 3, 2019 10:54 PM

Four film critics for The Hollywood Reporter discuss Chalamet in a segment today on the best performances of the year. Not a mention for Hedges in Honey Boy or Waves

SHERI LINDEN: It certainly has been a remarkable movie year for men. Even in Little Women, it isn't the sisters who truly compel but Timothée Chalamet's gloriously weird, awkward and transparently smitten Laurie.

FROSCH: Sheri, it's our annual Chalamet praise-fest! This guy is just so damn good that I fear we (and by "we," I mean everyone else) are already taking him for granted. Between the unearthed high-school rap videos and the global heartthrob-ery, he's become meme bait — which, I'm afraid, may prevent some viewers from receiving his work with the seriousness it deserves ("Haha, look at Timmy in Medieval armor!"). His shrewd, fiercely contained turn in The King — you can see his Hal always thinking, strategizing, ruminating — was under-appreciated. And, as you point out, he's the most poignant and unpredictable element of Greta Gerwig's Little Women ensemble — the one who really takes his character and runs with it, conjuring a rich, idiosyncratic inner world beyond what's on the page (his declaration of love to Saiorse Ronan's resistant Jo is a scene of swoony, panicky heartache for the ages). This is an actor whose every performance feels shaped by a deep emotional intelligence, an ability to burrow his way to the essence of the person he's embodying and a willingness to play against, or beyond, expectations. I can't wait 'til he shares the screen with Adam Driver.

LINDEN: I wouldn't have thought to call Driver the new Brando, as David does, but the comparison makes perfect sense. I've found myself making a similar comparison: Chalamet's work in Little Women and in The King might not immediately bring to mind Montgomery Clift, but when I reflect on his performances over the past couple of years, I see him as an inheritor of Clift's elegant transmutation of complexity, restraint, unpredictability and physical nuance. When was the last time a new generation of actors brought to mind such towering figures of the cinematic pantheon?

ROONEY: I like that comparison, Sheri. The back-to-back impact of Chalamet's deeply thoughtful work as the reluctant monarch in The King, growing steadily more steely as he grapples with the conflicts of his royal inheritance, and the aching emotion of his Laurie in Little Women shows that we're still seeing new aspects of an extraordinary range this young actor is only beginning to explore. It's going to be thrilling to watch him continue to develop his already formidable craft.

MCCARTHY: And I can only echo the praise for the clear male standouts you all have identified. Chalamet did it for me again with his unexpectedly quiet and observant takes on iconic literary roles.

by Anonymousreply 114December 3, 2019 11:00 PM

R114, interesting, It's good to see an older generation of critics appreciating his work.

by Anonymousreply 115December 3, 2019 11:28 PM

R115, they’re both appreciative of his work and completely dickmatized.

by Anonymousreply 116December 3, 2019 11:31 PM

No, R116 only Armie can be truly dickmatized with Tim

by Anonymousreply 117December 3, 2019 11:45 PM

Lucas has the more talented hole.

by Anonymousreply 118December 4, 2019 2:38 AM

R102, R105 and R111 are ON POINT. Are you the same person?

Timothée WANTS to be a big star -it's very obvious -and there's nothing wrong with having high hopes for yourself but he needs to do the right movies. I see his work in Little Women is being praised, and I know DLers have watched the older remakes but a lot of people my age(i'm almost 24) are excited to watch it as we were too young/weren't born when the last one came out... So I hope the movie succeeds.

Now Dune is a totally different territory for him - leading man, big budget, big studio - and although it's an ensemble cast, if it fails people are not going to say Javier Bardem drowned the movie or Zendaya drowned it - it'll be on Timothée(Similarly success will be attributed to him too if it goes that way). I mentioned Dune could be a make or break because when you ARE the leading man for the first time in a huge production and it fails, it is sure to make the higher execs question their decision -"Maybe he is better doing small budget movies or better at playing supporting roles in big ones ".

Lucas has given no indication of wanting to be a big star so far. He isn't calling paps to show off his relationship,he isn't even on social media - the only time people see him is when he interviews for an upcoming project. He is happy playing supporting roles in good scripts and a leading role in an indie every once in a while. Maybe one day he will change his ways, maybe he won't but for now he has been more consistent and been in better projects than Tim... And please stop with this nepotism chant - he has had multiple Golden globe noms and even an Oscar nom and more importantly he IS a good actor. Maybe target someone who is talentless but still successful because of nepotism - so like half the Hollywood😛

by Anonymousreply 119December 4, 2019 3:43 AM

Dune is (likely) not the route to being a big star. If he wanted to do that, he'd be getting on the next Marvel film and I'm sure he'd be able to get a part if someone like Florence Pugh can. Dune is the opportunity to work with one of the most renowned directors of our time. The fact that he's mixing it with theatre work and arthouse films like The French Dispatch shows that he's more concerned with acting in than he is stardom, no matter what people may want to believe about the photos with his girlfriend. And btw, there are indeed pap photos of Hedges with his girlfriend and I'm even more convinced that Hedges would need to call the paps for them to care, especially as the girlfriend is also not well known. He also talks about his girlfriend openly in interviews, unlike Chalamet. Chalamet is also barely on social media.

No one is going to attribute Dune's success (or lack of) to Chalamet, other than those that already hold a grudge. Any one with sense can see that it's a difficult story to adapt and will also take note of Villeneuve's directing style that can be off-putting to audiences, as was the case with Blade Runner 2049. We simply do not live in a world anymore where movie stars are a thing. Jennifer Lawrence was likely the newest of them and her star has now faded. People are driven to theaters based on the franchises and films themselves, which is why something like Crazy Rich Asians with a bunch of unknowns can succeed, whereas a film like Widows with Liam Neeson, Colin Farrell and Viola Davis faltered. Every actor has flops now. Doesn't matter if you're Brad Pitt or Josh O'Connor.

If Hedges had been offered the lead in a Villeneuve film, he'd have taken it too. You're kidding yourself if you think these minor parts in films is the most he's aiming for. That's just all that he's being offered.

And no, won't stop with the nepotism because that's what it is. Again, his dad was the first person to ever put him in a movie. His dad got him the part in the movie he was Oscar nominated for. It doesn't matter if he's talented. In my view, he's only mildly talented and is probably taking parts that a more talented and certainly more charismatic actor without connections could be taking. And he only has one Globe nom, for the record.

by Anonymousreply 120December 4, 2019 4:49 AM

Sorry - Chalamet's upcoming projects are with Greta Gerwig, Wes Anderson and Denis Villeneuve and we're praising Lucas for picking better projects!? I don't think so. He broke out a year earlier and started acting at a younger age but ever since 2018 (ie. when Chalamet 'arrived', Hedges' projects have hardly been inspiring. There's a reason Wes Anderson chose Chalamet for a 'central role' in his next film, despite the fact that he'd worked with Hedges twice prior. There's a reason Gerwig kept Ronan, Chalamet and Letts for Little Women, but not Hedges. I'll let you figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 121December 4, 2019 4:56 AM

R120 i agreed with you till you state that Lucas is not worthy cos nepotism. He is grt and work hardeven if connections sparked his career it does not deny his Hard work and talent

by Anonymousreply 122December 4, 2019 5:32 AM

R119 are you that rdk15367384from taptalk thread? Its her style in every post to bring up stunt paps lrd and other shit. Her obsesion with it so deep up her vagina she cant stop puking this words when speak. We are talkung movies here. I know its hard for you to focus just on that but for your bs there are the taptalk pit

by Anonymousreply 123December 4, 2019 5:38 AM

oh im sick of these two being compared, just because they were both oscar nominated at a young age. they are not similar actors.

and chalamet is absolutely not a character actor. the reason he has a career is because of a film in which he not only played the lead, but was in every single scene. a lead performance that was so undeniable that he became the youngest actor in 80 years to get oscar nominated as a lead. even before that, he was winning awards for his leading theatre work. when he doesn't play the lead, he often equals or overshadows those that do (miss stevens, beautiful boy, little women). he demands attention and can hold the screen even in lesser performances or projects. him not having traditional leading man looks does not matter in this day and age, he is still a major object of desire in modern day cinema. it's also not traditional for men to get famous off the back of playing gay/bisexual but here we are, this is not the 1950s.

hedges on the other hand is a character actor. he's at his best when he's quirky and comedic, rather than when he's deep and serious. in films like boy erased, you find yourself getting distracted with him being around for so long, whereas in films like lady bird he's a welcome surprise, popping up now and again.

chalamet should be getting compared to people like daniel kaluuya, kelvin harrison jr. and jharrel jerome. actual leading men of his generation that carry major charm and make people sit up and take note. just because they're not white doesn't mean they should be placed behind hedges. hedges is on a different path, whether by choice or not. the best he can hope for is a sam rockwell type of career, not a dicaprio or day-lewis.

by Anonymousreply 124December 4, 2019 5:45 AM

R124 heard so much good about kelvin Harrison latly yet too see anything with him. Want to be eimpressed so much

What do we think about other young actors likr Alex Wolf nick Robinson and Charlie pulmer OR plummer do not remember- the guy from lean on pete

by Anonymousreply 125December 4, 2019 5:50 AM

R114 Chalamet being compared to Montgomery Clift is a brilliant observation. Those critics are right in comparing them.

by Anonymousreply 126December 4, 2019 8:02 AM

I hope Timmy's cock size bears as inverse a relationship to Clift's (allegedly) as his quantity of chest hair.

by Anonymousreply 127December 4, 2019 9:24 AM

[quote]chalamet should be getting compared to people like daniel kaluuya, kelvin harrison jr. and jharrel jerome. actual leading men of his generation that carry major charm and make people sit up and take note. just because they're not white doesn't mean they should be placed behind hedges.

A FUCKING MEN! I can't even get into the disparity in attention paid to young white actors and young actors of color. I think about Jharrel Jerome all the time. The dude stood out in Moonlight just as much as Ali, Harris, and Monae. He was also incredible in When They See Us. He's done more difficult work than either of the actors we've been discussing so far, and my only hope is that he'll even get more opportunities like that. Wes Anderson and Denis Villeneuve aren't lining up to work with young actors of color unfortunately, so the path to that type of success is much harder.

You mentioned Kelvin Harrison Jr., and that reminded me that this inequality is perfectly encapsulated in Waves. He was doing such beautiful work in the first half of that film. He was given some really juicy physical and emotional material and he knocked it out of the park. You can imagine my disappointment with the film essentially turns him into a stereotype, silences him midway through the picture, and ultimately gives the narrative's emotional catharsis to fucking Lucas Hedges and his character's daddy issues. I thought that was such a slap in the face, especially since it'll be easy for Hedges to glide into any fucking role he wants for the rest of his career, and Kelvin Harrison Jr., who's more impressive in the first half of Waves than Hedges has [italic]ever[/italic] been, can't even stay the star of his own damn film. Fuck Waves and fuck that little writer/director wunderkind who shot it.

Ahem... anyway...

[quote]What do we think about other young actors likr Alex Wolf nick Robinson and Charlie pulmer OR plummer

I haven't seen Charlie Plummer's work, so I can't speak to him, but I thought Alex Wolff was truly affecting in Hereditary. A lot is asked of him and he delivers wholeheartedly... really matches Toni Collette's energy, which must have been exciting for him. He's another industry kid, right? He and his brother have been in the business since they were kids (aren't they Disney alums?), and their mother writes and directs stuff with them in it, so there's a Hedges-like quality about his presence. He's good though.

Nick Robinson's kinda... I don't know... I haven't seen Love, Simon, so maybe he's super dynamic in that, but I find him rather dull. He's pretty, but unexciting. I think it has to do with the roles I've seen him in. The Kings of Summer's a really good film, with a lot of really talented young actors in it, and they all managed to outshine Robinson. He also doesn't stand out in Jurassic World, but no one really does... certainly not for the right reasons anyway.

by Anonymousreply 128December 4, 2019 9:25 AM

R120 About your excuses regarding Villeneuve's "directing style" and citation of Blade Runner's lack of success : Blade Runner was being tauted as a huge sureshot hit long before it was released. The studio even released it in October 1st week(a time reserved for biggest releases) and it was marketed as such (huge global marketing) - it was only after the movie failed that excuses started to pour in for its failure(for the record I watched it in theatre and LOVED it)

Timothée and lily are seen doing pap walks every other month, there are paid articles about them, leaked (by one of their publicists obviously) backstage footages... For someone like me - who doesn't follow either of their fan accounts or seeks out pap pictures - they always make their way to me somehow. I have only once seen lucas mention his girl in an interview. No paid articles...

Oh and a multistarrer vehicle with an established fanbase is NOT a way to become a star?! Sure jan... Look you sound like a butthurt fangurl - I have already mentioned I am a fan of both(Lucas and timmy) and have watched almost all of their movies. I will watch Dune too, just to be clear. But unlike you, I am not in denial that somebody wants to become a star.Btw stars do Broadway too - I mean even Julia Roberts and ScarJo did - so please stop flexing about that - it's embarrassing!

I have no idea what tapatalk is... Also Timothée is WAY more suited to be Laurie than lucas(whom I can't even picture in that role!) So good for greta for choosing him :)

by Anonymousreply 129December 4, 2019 12:50 PM

For another poster above - they are being compared because 1) they have worked together and 2) both have been doing smaller script driven movies. If you want to make comparisons with other actors - make a thread - I think it will be interesting :)

by Anonymousreply 130December 4, 2019 12:55 PM

For the "we are talking movies here" person - selective reading will do that to you. If you are reading one line - which is about his girlfriend - out of a 20 line comment -rest of which is about actual movies - then it's your problem, not mine.

by Anonymousreply 131December 4, 2019 1:05 PM

R119 "For someone like me - who doesn't follow either of their fan accounts or seeks out pap pictures - they always make their way to me somehow" sure Jen i am TC fan and manage to not to see it but you do. Stop pretending you sound and write Just as those lunatics. What the big deal with paps for why are you so focused on them what does it Prove? What does it deny? It does not deny anyone's talent OR asperation, TC's smartway of choosing directors, his passion to do ART. So what are you trying to force here, why the pap pic makes you butthurt? We talk movies and art here and you mention some irrelavant stupid shit as some what prove of what?

by Anonymousreply 132December 4, 2019 1:06 PM

R120 the above was to

by Anonymousreply 133December 4, 2019 1:07 PM

My fat fingers. Was to r129. Whatever

by Anonymousreply 134December 4, 2019 1:08 PM

It's possible to want to do good roles AND want to be a star - and both are great. But you being in denial about it is very weird.

I only responded to the paps part because in R120 you stated it - infact wrote quite a long bit about how T & L don't even do much(when in reality they do)

Now, instead of you typing hastily and throwing insults, I would like to hear your counter-argument about the whole Blade Runner debacle - since we both want to discuss movies here.

Anyway I am sure rn it is apparent who is being a lunatic and who isn't. Cheers🍷

by Anonymousreply 135December 4, 2019 1:19 PM

R123: For god's sake, even a blind person is able to see that his relationship is totally fake.

He is a good actor and it's good to be ambitious, but if you are going to play the game you need to play it better. That yatch pics were an embarrasement

by Anonymousreply 136December 4, 2019 1:40 PM

[quote]He isn't calling paps to show off his relationship

Lol that you actually believe this. The fact that obviously gay Lucas is bearding it up— and there are pap photos and make out pics, one even in this thread— shows that he’s just as much playing the game as any young and thirsty celeb. Don’t kid yourself because he’s a “serious actor” that he and his team aren’t savvy to what is necessary. No one is clamoring to make Hedges a heartthrob, but there’s just enough put out there to make sure the right people think he’s straightish or whatever euphemism he’s using this week.

Apparently PT Anderson’s next film will feature a young (late teens/early 20s) male lead. It’ll be interesting to see who is cast in that role. Chalamet already has a good rapport with PTA, but I don’t think that means he’s a lock.

by Anonymousreply 137December 4, 2019 1:44 PM

Oh my! R123, R132 are the same person and they have been commenting on all my threads - mostly incoherent, often aggressive comments - trying to pick fights with me. Blocking you.

by Anonymousreply 138December 4, 2019 1:45 PM

R129 I'm not making any 'excuses' about BR2049. Why would I need to? I am not a huge fan of that film or anyone involved in it. Fact is, when it underperformed financially, the vast majority of people did not blame Ryan Gosling, they blamed the fact that it was a 2h 44m slow and meditative film, not an action packed, quickly paced blockbuster.

I'm not remotely interested in your conspiracy theories regarding Chalamet and his girlfriend. While I'm aware that celebrity relationships are not always legitimate, I'm also not egotistical enough to assume I know the truth about two strangers. You using something you have no valid proof of as a way to assert Chalamet's desperation to be a star is ridiculous. He could be posting about LRD on social media. He could be talking about her in interviews. He could be taking her as his guest to award shows and public events (Lucas does this with his girlfriend). He does not. So if he's trying to use his relationship to become a star, he's not doing a very good job.

No, Dune is not the way to become a star. Most people are expecting it to underperform financially and have been all along. Chalamet isn't stupid, he's going to be aware of that and his first thought is not going to be 'oh it's going to make me a star'. Did Blade Runner 2049 make Ana De Armas a star? Nope, but Knives Out looks like it might. No actor under 25 would turn down the opportunity to lead a Villeneuve film. Not Chalamet, not Hedges, none of them. He's basically the favorite director of film bros, along with Nolan. It makes no sense to assume that Chalamet (or anyone else in that cast) is doing Dune to become more famous, rather than to work with someone who has yet to make a film that hasn't been critically acclaimed.

You're the one that sounds like a butthurt Hedges fangirl that Chalamet is more popular, more acclaimed and is first in line for these prestige roles from great directors. So you have to try and convince everyone it's unjust. It isn't.

Yes, stars do Broadway. But they don't do it to become stars. Broadway makes a star out of no one these days, unless you're Lin-Manuel Miranda. If you take weeks out of your life to do theatre, then that's pretty solid proof that you're invested in being a great actor and not a 'star'. Chalamet isn't even doing Broadway, he's doing London theatre which is even less starry. He could be using that time to do another film. He isn't.

by Anonymousreply 139December 4, 2019 1:47 PM

Paparazzi, media and fans are naturally going to be more interested in Chalamet than Hedges. Therefore, it's not going to be as easy for Chalamet to disappear. But the fact is, Chalamet also largely goes off the radar when he's not promoting things. He went off the radar for months when filming The King and again when filming Dune. He wasn't seen with LRD for 8 months, except a blurry fan photo in Paris for her birthday. And if he made the effort to fly from Budapest to Paris in the middle of filming just so he could be caught with his girlfriend because he thought it might make him more famous, surely he'd have called the paps to capture that too. Or maybe he was there because he wanted to celebrate his girlfriend's birthday with her, and not to become a star. Shocking theory, I know.

by Anonymousreply 140December 4, 2019 2:07 PM

R139 It's not wise to suggest that Timothée and Ryan are on same level. Ryan gosling was a long established star - more so after La La Land - when he did Blade Runner. Nobody was going to question his bankability based on just BR (btw he was partly blamed for the failure of First Man which came a year after BR) Timothée only has a handful of movies and Dune will be the first big movie of his.

I would love to hear those "conspiracy theories" you mention above - which according to you came from me, while I literally just said they call paps a lot. Nothing more.

I literally just mentioned above that Timothée is a great choice for Laurie and that I can't even picture Lucas in that role... Both have their strengths and Tim is obviously more popular - so him being a favorite is not surprising at all. He deserves it.

Two things :

1) Saying even stars do Broadway 2) Saying people do Broadway to become stars.... Both DIFFERENT things - I said the first, you claimed the second. Btw I also said it is possible to want to do quality work AND be a star at the same time - and both are great.

If you think you can twist what I have typed to suit yourself - you are wrong. You want to discuss facts - Timothée is more popular, Lucas is more consistent so far, Both are very talented, Timothée definitely wants to be a star but he also wants to do quality work... These are it.

Oh and R139 Let's have a healthy discussion, I am not here for a pissing contest - especially after saying repeatedly that I love them both and watch their movies.

by Anonymousreply 141December 4, 2019 2:09 PM

R137: I really like Lucas, but his "coming out" was messy on purpose. It looked like he only wanted to avoid criticism for playing too many gay characters. The whole thing was difficult to understand, and after that he was like, well i'm not totally straight but this is my girlfriend (when he seem quite discret).

But it worked perfectly fine, he won't be criticied for playing gay characters because he is part of the community, he avoided the gay rumours (because he had gay rumours not bi rumours) and he put a straight image to sell to the world (but if he ends dating a guy it wouldn't be a problem because he "came out" long time ago).

It was not the most sincere coming out and it seemed too calculated. And i don't understand the reason because nobody was forcing him to say anything and i don't think he is too interested in being a lead man in big budget films

And about being a star, it's being in the right place at the right time. I don't think any of them are star material (but they are good actors and they are making good movies so i expect long careers from both), but you never now, the right character on the right film can make the difference.

They have a big advantage over other young actors, every award season people talk about them even if they don't get the nomination

by Anonymousreply 142December 4, 2019 2:17 PM

R142 I am not R137 but You are right - while it wasn't morally right Lucas' whole "I am on the spectrum" strategy worked. I have actually seen people take his side over naysayers because they believe he is part of the community. Good for him I guess or else he would have been in deep shit at least with the woke crowd. As for being talked about during award season, they are getting advantage of being nominated once at a young age. Same thing happened to JLaw and is now happening to Saoirse Ronan too - again a good thing. Keeps their names out there.

by Anonymousreply 143December 4, 2019 2:25 PM

Who are they?

by Anonymousreply 144December 4, 2019 2:34 PM

R141 I'm not comparing Gosling and Chalamet, I'm comparing the two films. You seem to be operating on a very old school way of thinking regarding how studio heads and others in the industry think. These are smart people. They understand what I said earlier, that the concept of movie stars does not exist anymore, that people, for the most part, no longer go to the theater for specific actors if the film isn't interesting enough. Gosling is a good example. People blamed the pacing, directing and runtime for why BR2049 flopped. If Dune flops, they are not going to suddenly pretend like none of this stuff matters and it's all on the lead actor.

Stating - as a fact - that a celebrity couple calls the paps and pays for articles to be written about them because one or both of them want to become more famous, is a conspiracy theory. Yes, this stuff has happened in the past. But literally, you do not have the receipts. It may be the case here or it may not. It's not that wild to me that paps are interested in photographing two skinny, fashionable, pretty people. Also not that wild to me that two skinny, fashionable, pretty people would meet and want to bone each other, and so decide to do so. Do you have any theory as to why Chalamet would be so desperate to sell himself in this way but doesn't post LRD on social media, talk about her in interviews or take her to events? Surely this would be an easier, less expensive way to sell his relationship and make it more well known. Even at the premieres for their film together, they refused to pose together. Slightly weird for a couple so intent on selling their relationship to become stars, no? And you still haven't responded to the fact that Hedges has been papped with his girlfriend, both less famous. So why does this not make him desperate to be a star?

The point about Broadway is that Chalamet is taking a few months out of his life to do theatre, when he could use that time to make a Marvel film if he was as desperate to be a star as you claim. Just because people that are already established do theatre (and not many do, because they don't need to) doesn't mean that doing theatre isn't solid evidence that someone is more concerned with acting than stardom. It is. Theatre is hard work. You don't do it for the fun of it, especially when he wouldn't even be eligible for Tony attention.

Lucas being more consistent isn't a fact, it's your opinion. Chalamet has received better reviews and more awards attention, despite breaking out a year later than Hedges. He played LGBT better than Lucas and he played the drug addict better than Lucas. When Hedges takes enough of a risk to do action films, English accents and play monarchy, then we can compare them on an even playing field. But while he's playing the same type of character over and over, it's not exactly fair to compare him to someone taking big risks and trying new things.

by Anonymousreply 145December 4, 2019 2:37 PM

R145 I love you so much you cant imaging. Everything i think you put into beautiful words out there. Thank you

by Anonymousreply 146December 4, 2019 3:20 PM

R145, and R146 are fraus. It was only a matter of time before the twats came back on here proselytizing TC as pure, flawless, innocent and unrivaled in talent. FWIW, he's none of those aforementioned descriptions.

Muriel please close this thread.

by Anonymousreply 147December 4, 2019 5:09 PM

I find Timmy flawless, r147. Maybe not pure or innocent, but talented and basically without flaw. I can't think of an actor I like more.

by Anonymousreply 148December 4, 2019 5:12 PM

He is absolutely rivalled in talent. Just not by Lucas Hedges. And just because I don't think it's a definite fact that he calls the paps because he wants to be a huge star, doesn't mean I think he's pure and innocent either. I think we don't know these people and not only asserting what they do (without evidence) but why they do these things is a sign of over obsession and overanalysis.

by Anonymousreply 149December 4, 2019 5:16 PM

wow, the troll even stalks tapatalk. like if you hate them so much why do you read what they write? even to the point of remembering which member writes what. how mental are you???

by Anonymousreply 150December 4, 2019 5:31 PM

A Rainy Day In New York has leaked online.

by Anonymousreply 151December 4, 2019 6:05 PM

yeah, cos you are a troll if you disagree to shit on TC, is it? I read that taptalk thread for some time when Timothee's threads here were closed. I thought it will be an interesting discussion there. But lost my interest pretty quickly cos basically it worse than it was here with all the stupidity it had. 4 or 5 old hags talk about conspiracy shit and do not discuss his acting career, roles and other important things. I do not give a shit about who he fucks how he fuck and if he fucks at all. I like him as an actor and apparently taptalk thread is not for it. So i am thriving here cos at least it is an interesting conversation and we can discuss other actors i like and movies too. But i am sure those bitches are reading it here. Even post here already. If you read those threads even for not a long time you recognise their style and themes they are focused on VERY fast. And yes. They also call anybody who disagrees with them a troll so i am sure R150 is one of them

by Anonymousreply 152December 4, 2019 6:05 PM

R149: It's not overanalysis, it's having eyes on the face. The pap pics are very obvious, and he can't fake to save his life. It's incredible that such talented actor is not able to act like he is really in love.

A lot of actors fake relationships to increase their profiles, even if it's pathetic it's quite effective, most fans like to believe in that fantasy (even an openly gay actor can't post a pic kissing a female friend without some fans speculate abut if they are dating).

There's nothing wrong with being ambitious, he has the acting chops to back that ambition, but the fake relationship is not working in terms of making him more popular, maybe because he is very bad at it and because he seems reluctant to do it full time. Given he became popular playing a gay character i suppose that relationship has another purpose apart of increase his profile.

Anyway i find sad that a talented actor has to do such charade when he doesn't need that at all

by Anonymousreply 153December 4, 2019 6:08 PM

Funny that when i watched ARDINY in my country it was dubbed in a way that Timothee's character voice came off as relaxed and "enjoying life and all-around" kind of way. But when i watched it in English it sounds differently - more intense and judgmental and kinda pricky which gives the whole character another tone. As if i watched a different movie

by Anonymousreply 154December 4, 2019 6:12 PM

R153 again, I'm not interested in entertaining conspiracy theories and yes, that is what they are. I understand it can be difficult to see an actor you like or are attracted to all over a beautiful, young, thin woman but that's life. She won't be the last either. It has no significant effect on his career either way, very little has changed for him since they started dating, positively or negatively.

by Anonymousreply 155December 4, 2019 6:13 PM

I have a Wilde suggestion to not discuss anything PR and relationship relating on here and focus on movies? Cos it will make the whole discussion more fun

by Anonymousreply 156December 4, 2019 6:14 PM

R153 and r155 are ruining it for us. i knew this will happen

by Anonymousreply 157December 4, 2019 6:15 PM

R155: This is a forum where people post their opinions, it's not about what you like or what you don't like. And no, i don't find Chalamet attractive at all, he is very talented and has an interesting career but it's pretty obvious that in terms of looks he is not everybody's cup of tea.

And it's not conspirancy, he is pretty bad at faking it, only Shawn Mendes is worse

R157: You are such a drama queen. Nobody is disrespecting any of them, just posting their opinions, and their public image is part of their careers you like it or not

by Anonymousreply 158December 4, 2019 6:36 PM

R158 you can post your opinion over and over, but that doesn't mean other people have to entertain it or agree with you.

It is a conspiracy. The evidence you have is what? Blind items? You can say the pap photos make it obvious, but in my eyes, they don't. He's always been an awkward kisser, in all of his films. Him being a bad kisser does not make his relationship fake. And he does look at her in a very warm, affectionate way. Do you believe he's not attracted to women at all? Because pretty much any guy that's attracted to women is going to enjoy the opportunity to be like that with Lily Rose Depp.

If he is faking it, then no, he's not bad at it. Their relationship is not widely mocked or derided like Shawn Mendes'. Most people do believe in it, no matter what the hivemind you surround yourself with say.

by Anonymousreply 159December 4, 2019 6:44 PM

R159: I have eyes. The yatch pics were taken very close. The paps were probably in the same yatch.

And i didn't say a thing about his sexual orientation, what i say it's that his relationship is fake. Most fake relationships in Hollywood are not about hiding somebody's sexual orientation, are about promotion (self promotion or films promotion).

by Anonymousreply 160December 4, 2019 6:52 PM

It's a good thing the OP looted the "Alternatives to Timothee Chalamet" thread for his opinions. What would it do without Datalounge to steal all of its ideas and threads from? No, you're not a batshit crazy and annoying Thread Copycat at all.

F&F

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 4, 2019 6:58 PM

R160 So your evidence is that you have eyes. Well guess what, so do I. What now?

It hasn't made him any more famous and promotion for The King is now over, so why are they still seeing each other?

Right, so you think he's into women. I do too. I think that's obvious and there's plenty to back it up from before he was famous and more secretive stuff that's happened since he was famous. But the chances of him being a straight or bi guy that is repulsed by kissing or fondling LRD are basically minimal. She's objectively gorgeous, and not only that, but sexy. I'm not into women, but even I can see that girl oozes sex appeal from her eyes and the way she holds herself. She also seems like a sweet, amiable person. So I doubt he has an issue with her personality either. So what is he faking here? Neither of them have ever confirmed that they are in a relationship. Perhaps they're not and they're friends with benefits. Who knows? Is it our business? Does it hold any relevance to this debate on whether he or Lucas Hedges is superior? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 162December 4, 2019 7:00 PM

R160 you're still on this? I've been off these boards for months and still the same. Do you really care that much? Why?

by Anonymousreply 163December 4, 2019 7:00 PM

R162; You said that nobody has to agree with me, and i agree, but i don't have to agree with you.

And frankly, some of you are so fucking fangirls who can't take that not everybody thinks your idol is pure

R163: I didn't comment in any Chalamet thread since last year, so it's not that i care that much, it's that some share my opinion. Get over it

by Anonymousreply 164December 4, 2019 7:03 PM

R148 I feel the same. He's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 165December 4, 2019 7:03 PM

R164 oh I'm over it but since it's been a year for you, why aren't you over it? He's been with her since what 2018. Who cares at this point? Why?

by Anonymousreply 166December 4, 2019 7:05 PM

R164 he's not my idol and he's not pure. But I will never be a weirdo that thinks I know everything about the personal lives of strangers. Sorry. And you clearly do care a lot.

by Anonymousreply 167December 4, 2019 7:05 PM

R167: I didn't know anything about his private life, but i'm old enough to recognize an obvious pr stunt when i see one

by Anonymousreply 168December 4, 2019 7:07 PM

R166 I am talking crazy caring. Over a year obsessing. That's bizarre shit.

by Anonymousreply 169December 4, 2019 7:07 PM

R168 you may be old but you don't know anything.

by Anonymousreply 170December 4, 2019 7:08 PM

R168 I guess the point is, it's no longer interesting. Are you compulsive or do you have any other topics you'd like to discuss?

by Anonymousreply 171December 4, 2019 7:09 PM

R171: I posted my opinion, it's you the one who seems triggered about it (and i was not even the only one).

It's obvious you are a pair of fangirls

by Anonymousreply 172December 4, 2019 7:10 PM

Lucas is boring and sorry, ugly. He's also closeted and an average actor. Is it his PR team who keep making these nonsense comparisons with Timothée?

by Anonymousreply 173December 4, 2019 7:10 PM

R172 a lot of things that seem obvious to you are not actually the truth. Funny that.

by Anonymousreply 174December 4, 2019 7:11 PM

So Armie is in a Taika movie? Is this the movie he was going to squeeze in that everyone thought was Batman?

by Anonymousreply 175December 4, 2019 7:11 PM

R173: No, it's not. A lot of reviews about films with Lucas or Thimotee mention the other one. They have similar careers and they get a lot of award nominations that are not that common for young actors

by Anonymousreply 176December 4, 2019 7:12 PM

R174 ignore them. They're trolling.

by Anonymousreply 177December 4, 2019 7:12 PM

Never

by Anonymousreply 178December 4, 2019 7:13 PM

R174: If my opinion makes you so mad, there's a block button (unfortunately for you, i'm very far from the only one who thinks that)

by Anonymousreply 179December 4, 2019 7:13 PM

R176 similar before 2018 maybe. Not anymore. PR teams can arrange for an actor to be linked to other actors. Lucas isn't even in Timmy's league anymore. Didn't he do a show last year on Broadway? Nobody even heard about it. Whereas Timothée is breaking booking lines.

by Anonymousreply 180December 4, 2019 7:15 PM

R179 It's nice that you think you hold so much relevance, but reading your unqualified opinions does not have any negative effect on my day. And wow, a male actor that has played gay and has a close friendship with his male co star has plenty of fangirls that insist any romantic interaction of him with a woman is PR and fake? Shocker! Never happened before! Will never happen again!

by Anonymousreply 181December 4, 2019 7:17 PM

R180: Nobody denies that Tim is more popular, and he has bigger projects, but till now their careers are similar

by Anonymousreply 182December 4, 2019 7:18 PM

R181: Why are you talking about Armie Hammer? i never mentioned him and i couldn't care less about fangirl speculations about their relationship (which seems a close friendship)

by Anonymousreply 183December 4, 2019 7:19 PM

R183 because the vast majority of people that believe Chalamet and LRD are a fake relationship are people that believe he is gay. That's just a fact. Whether you're one of them or not. So you saying that you're far from the only one that thinks it means nothing to me as I know what most people that DO think it truly believe and it's far more farfetched than the idea that their relationship is legitimate.

by Anonymousreply 184December 4, 2019 7:21 PM

R182 till Call me by your name best actor nomination. Since then their careers aren't anything alike. Timothée has starred in 4 movies since then A RDINY, the King, TFD and Dune. Lucas has starred in 1. Boy Erased. Timothée won acclaim for BB . Lucas has the Manchester nomination, that's it. He's not a draw. The public don't know or care. Timothée has a huge following , is a sex symbol. Girl, please

by Anonymousreply 185December 4, 2019 7:23 PM

R183 I mentioned Armie cause he's Timmy's friend and has booked a Taika movie. He's not listed on IMDb though so assuming it was either last minute casting or is a cameo.

by Anonymousreply 186December 4, 2019 7:25 PM

The only reason anyone has even heard of Lucas Hedges is because his dad bought his career and his PR team keep trying to compare him to Timmy. Otherwise who would care? He's fug.

by Anonymousreply 187December 4, 2019 7:27 PM

R187: Lucas Hedges was nominated to an Oscar very young, that's enough to be known. And he had the ability to be in several nominated movies. You don't care, others do

by Anonymousreply 188December 4, 2019 7:32 PM

Sorry haters. He's peerless at the moment. He rocked The King to solidify his godlike status. Little Women, Dune, are going to project him into another stratosphere, although to the people who know and love him already, he's already there.

by Anonymousreply 189December 4, 2019 7:32 PM

Dune is a project that could be a big hit or a big flop.

I read the novel many years ago and frankly i don't know how well it will translate into a film. There are too many things happening, it seems better material for a tv series

by Anonymousreply 190December 4, 2019 7:34 PM

R188 nobody cares about his Oscar nomination. He's still relatively unknown. Especially since he left no impression and didn't win for a supporting role. Most notably he hasn't done anything great since.

by Anonymousreply 191December 4, 2019 7:35 PM

Was The king that successful? there are a lot of mixing reviews

by Anonymousreply 192December 4, 2019 7:35 PM

R190 doesn't matter. His profile will raise enough to get the interest from the masses. Doesn't matter how it does.

by Anonymousreply 193December 4, 2019 7:36 PM

R191: He is the only one of the young actors apart of Tim who received that kind of attention. He didn't have any big hit film but he has a solid career till now. He is not mainstream, but Tim isn't mainstream either (at least not yet)

by Anonymousreply 194December 4, 2019 7:37 PM

R192 hugely successful. Everyone I know has seen it , loved it, loved him in it.

by Anonymousreply 195December 4, 2019 7:37 PM

The King increased his exposure. It was number 1 on IMDb for a while when it was released and his IG followers went up quite a bit at that time. Smart to do a film like that for Netflix where you don't have to rely on box office numbers.

by Anonymousreply 196December 4, 2019 7:38 PM

R194 Timmy is becoming mainstream rapidly. Most importantly he has what it takes once he's visible.

by Anonymousreply 197December 4, 2019 7:39 PM

Are T and L the new M and G?

by Anonymousreply 198December 4, 2019 8:30 PM

R198: Sorry, i'm lost, who are M and G?

by Anonymousreply 199December 4, 2019 8:31 PM

Meryl and Glenn

[quote]A lot of reviews about films with Lucas or Thimotee mention the other one

Yeah no. They don’t. Why would they? They aren’t remotely similar in type. The only time recently that I can recall the two of them coming up in discussion were in reviews for The Goldfinch because Elgort was so terrible and critics were wondering if a different actor had been cast.

by Anonymousreply 200December 4, 2019 8:35 PM

R200: Not comparision but mentions of the other one. Last year i remember several film magazines mentioning both when Beautiful boy and Boy erased were released (in Spain). They didn't make comparisions just saying both were the most interesting actors of their generation.

Curious you talk about Elgort, because he was the other one who got some attention from big awards, but he has a more conventional mainstream career than both (and he has more success in the box office). Unfortunately for him The goldfinch tanked big time. And unllike Tim and Lucas he seems to carry a reputation to being annoying on set

by Anonymousreply 201December 4, 2019 8:41 PM

Again, we're ignoring everyone that isn't white. Hedges is not more interesting than the black actors that are listed up in this thread.

Daniel Kaluuya also has an Oscar nom. As does Dev Patel.

Beautiful Boy, Boy Erased and Ben is Back got comparisons because of their similar titles and subject matters. I agree that Chalamet and Hedges are totally dissimilar actors.

by Anonymousreply 202December 4, 2019 8:51 PM

And forgot to add Jharrel Jerome has an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 203December 4, 2019 8:52 PM

R202: Dev Patel iand Daniel Kaluuya are not from the same generation than Tim and Lucas. Daniel is 30 and Dev is 29

by Anonymousreply 204December 4, 2019 8:54 PM

R204 what do you think a generation is? They are all millennials and received their Oscar noms in their 20s, which is very hard for men to do

by Anonymousreply 205December 4, 2019 8:57 PM

@R120

[quote] (that) Widows with Liam Neeson, Colin Farrell and Viola Davis faltered?? [quote]

I agreed with everything else you said except this — 'Widows' is a masterpiece

by Anonymousreply 206December 4, 2019 9:07 PM

R206 oh, I loved Widows. But it unfortunately did flop at the box office, despite the great cast full of names. So clearly something went wrong with the marketing or what people were expecting from the film.

by Anonymousreply 207December 4, 2019 9:09 PM

R120

[quote] taking parts that a more talented and certainly more charismatic actor without connections could be taking.

Those you are describing are almost non-existent in Hollywood, most people have connection or f*** the right people

by Anonymousreply 208December 4, 2019 9:09 PM

R141, Brian Gosling is pale, male and stale. That's all he has going for him.

by Anonymousreply 209December 4, 2019 10:05 PM

I agree. Timothée's more similar peers are Daniel, Dev, Ansel, Tom Holland. I expect Tom to get an award one day. Lucas is too ugly, untalented and unknown. Stop trying to make him happen.

by Anonymousreply 210December 5, 2019 7:01 AM

R205: Sorry but no, it's not the same being 22 than being 30. Tim and Lucas received nominations at the beginning of their careers.

And no, there's noone of their age that has a similar career and recognition. There are people with more commercial success, but lately being on a blockbuster rarely translate into being a star, like most actors on franchises prove when they try a different movie

R210: Nobody is trying to make it happen, he already happened. And attractive is a question of different taste, i can understand why people find Chalamet attractive, but he is not attractive for me. I like men not boys (and the same for Tom Holland).

And Lucas is a million times better actor than Ansel Elgort

by Anonymousreply 211December 5, 2019 1:21 PM

R211 No one mentioned 30, Kaluuya was nominated at 28 and Patel at 26. It may not be the same age but they are all of the same generation and could potentially go for the same roles. Chalamet and Hedges were not nominated at the beginning of their careers. Hedges' first screen appearance was 2007 and Chalamet's was 2009. They were both working for almost a decade before being Oscar nominated. Yes, those were their breakout roles but the same can be said for Kaluuya and Get Out.

Tom Holland and Ansel Elgort are more famous than both of them and get good juicy lead roles. Holland is about to play a drug addict himself and Elgort is the lead in Spielberg's West Side Story. Jharrel Jerome has actually won one of the four major entertainment awards, which neither Chalamet or Hedges have. So to state no actors of their exact age have the same recognition is false. I mean, there are actually plenty more known than Hedges. He's not famous at all.

by Anonymousreply 212December 5, 2019 2:36 PM

Fame is passing though. Look at Garfield and McGuire, how big they were during their Spiderman years and now they practically fell off the radar. Don't even compare Holland with Chalamet fame wise because Holland's fame is 95% due to a comic book character that comes with a huge built in fanbase. Chalamet happened thanks to a little LGBT indie movie that made $40 million but he's managed to maintain his buzz and get good to stellar reviews post his first Oscar nom and was very close to get a second one for crappy BB. I wonder how Holland will fare after Spiderman. As for Elgort lol he's not even worth mentioning, He's not particularly talented, charismatic and wouldn't have gotten where he is today without his father's connections. Hedges too got a foot in thanks to his papa but he's talented. Too bad not much charisma there either. Out of these 4 the only one I see staying at the top is Chalamet. Hedges will do well but as a character actor.

by Anonymousreply 213December 5, 2019 3:49 PM

Oh, how close was he to getting a second nom for BB? Guess we'll never know since those things are never revealed except in your feverish dreams.

by Anonymousreply 214December 5, 2019 4:35 PM

Watched Wonder yesterday.. in 7-8 years Noa Jupe gonna slay it. He is 14 now and already looks the same age as Timothee which is funny. Cant wait to see him in adult roles.

by Anonymousreply 215December 5, 2019 4:43 PM

r214 he got a nom for all the precursors, that's how close.

by Anonymousreply 216December 5, 2019 4:57 PM

If you get a BAFTA, SAG and Golden Globe nom then yeah it's fair to say you were very close to being Oscar nominated, especially as the former two share members with the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 217December 5, 2019 5:14 PM

IN HW you never know, every year a film magazine does one of those these young actors and actress are going to be great, five years later 95% are totally missing.

Nobody knows what future would bring but Chalamet and Hedges had solid starts that goes way beyond popularity. Chalamet fame is in a 95% part due to CMBYN, but even without that film his career is solid and interesting

by Anonymousreply 218December 5, 2019 6:36 PM

And now he has mamma Dern taking care of him...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219December 5, 2019 6:38 PM

And by the way, there's another BI about Timmy this week

by Anonymousreply 220December 8, 2019 10:42 AM

^^ Link?

by Anonymousreply 221December 8, 2019 12:04 PM

[quote] Apparently PT Anderson’s next film will feature a young (late teens/early 20s) male lead. It’ll be interesting to see who is cast in that role. Chalamet already has a good rapport with PTA, but I don’t think that means he’s a lock.

Isn't that character described as a child actor? So it won't be someone in his 20s. (One of the boys from IT seems a better guess.)

by Anonymousreply 222December 8, 2019 12:10 PM

R221: Basically the same old thing. But i have to agree with them in one think, he can kiss a girl way better than he did last time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 8, 2019 12:22 PM

THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT PERSONAL LIFE. CAN YOU FUCK OFF TO YOUR TAPTALK jfc

by Anonymousreply 224December 8, 2019 12:53 PM

btw That hot new thing from the Waves kelvin harrison jr. keeps on getting scores from all the awards this year. He is as good in this as Chalamet was in 2017. If this year was not so stuck already i could see his oscar nom

I think that Timothee's time as an IT boy has passed already. Now it is time for new peple to get all the attention. Pugh, kelvin harrison jr. n JJarohme (misspell but you get it) . Timothee will be ok just he wil not be spamming our news feeds thank god. Kinda tired already

by Anonymousreply 225December 8, 2019 12:56 PM

r224 NOT*

by Anonymousreply 226December 8, 2019 12:57 PM

R224: IN theory this is a thread about how the OP like Lucas Hedges way more than Timothee Chalamet.

If you want a thread about Tim's career with nothing of gossip (good luck on a gossip site like DL) you can start your own thread

by Anonymousreply 227December 8, 2019 1:07 PM

BTW what people here think will we see more POC people as leads in mainstream movies like Marvel and such in the future? And i mean it not in SJW way but will the market respond to it? statistic says that POC brings somewhat about 30% of a paycheck (not sure about the exact numbers - but it's much lower than white population) BUT! there is asian market (china and Korea) that brings a lot of $$$ so i am surprised that HW only recently has started making asian actors a big thing. But last 2 years i see a rise of asian black and latino actors in mainstream movies and in a general conversation about celebrities and i am not from USA and its info-bubble which means t is quite big change if it is that visible

by Anonymousreply 228December 8, 2019 1:21 PM

I don't know, the foreign countries are very used to white actors, so having a white actor doesn't have any negative effect on the box office. I always thought that given that Asia is a big market it was strange not to cast more asian actors.

Anyway, thinking to much in abroad box office is never a good idea (and usually the excuse to not have gay characters on movies).

HW needs to do diversity better. Diversity is not about chaning a well known white character into a black one, or having a diverse cast totally inaccurated for the period of time of the film.

Anyway, i don't think Lucas or Tim are affected for those things, what could affect them is that HW is producing less and less mid budget dramas. They keep on producing big films made for teenagers, but sooner or later superhero films will collapse (It happened before)

by Anonymousreply 229December 8, 2019 1:32 PM

[quote]Isn't that character described as a child actor? So it won't be someone in his 20s. (One of the boys from IT seems a better guess.)

The character is a high school student, so yeah probably a bit younger.

by Anonymousreply 230December 8, 2019 1:33 PM

R229 Agree with you on diversity thing - it feels like they are pushing it. It's not authentic. But at the same time there a lot of new small movies made by black and asian directors. Beautiful strong movies that people love. So it feels like maybe in 5-10 years the diversity thing will become what it should be - an increased amount of original authentic movies made by POC directors and screenwriters and producers and actors with their own important stories representing their rich culture.

For those who interested check on AMAZING: The Rider by Chloé Zhao the farewell by Lulu Wang all movies by Barry Jenkins and Jordan Peele

And there are so many female directors coming to surface. And i love what they do. If anyone knows good POC/female directors to list i ll appreciate

by Anonymousreply 231December 8, 2019 1:58 PM

Isn't HW in the habit of using actors in their 20s or even 30s to play high school kids?

by Anonymousreply 232December 8, 2019 1:58 PM

R231: I always found absurd when they change a literary white character when they have a lot of amazing african american, asian and latino writers they could use to get their novels to the screen.

R232: Yes, they do that all the time. It's so common that sometimes it feels weird when they use actors the same age of the characters.

I suppose a 22 actor could pass for a 17 in some cases, but most of the time they use actors closer to the 30's. If a movie or a tv show the actors are generally way older than the characters

by Anonymousreply 233December 8, 2019 2:06 PM

R232 with the amount of talented Child teen actors working today it would be a shame

by Anonymousreply 234December 8, 2019 2:06 PM

Off topic but with all my love for Timothee as an actor i hate his goofy idiot personality. Is he on drugs or smth?

by Anonymousreply 235December 8, 2019 2:41 PM

R235 I think it's a clever ploy in which he pretends to be an idiot — when he's far from it. I think he does it so as to appear harmless and thus not a threat to the rest of the male HW actors.

by Anonymousreply 236December 8, 2019 2:50 PM

R236, correct. Total alpha top poses as beta bottom.

by Anonymousreply 237December 8, 2019 2:53 PM

[quote]Isn't HW in the habit of using actors in their 20s or even 30s to play high school kids?

Whatever do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 238December 8, 2019 2:56 PM

R237, only that I think his true personality will come out at some point when he has been working for a long while and 'made it', then he'll everyone to f*** off.

by Anonymousreply 239December 8, 2019 3:03 PM

Or he is on drugs or an idiot Or both. Just hate that now i have to avoid celebrity part of his life cos he triggers and annoys me so much

by Anonymousreply 240December 8, 2019 3:14 PM

So that's why you are here R240?

by Anonymousreply 241December 8, 2019 3:18 PM

R241 cos i like him lucas and other bunch of youngsters as actors obviously. And we are here talkung exactly that

by Anonymousreply 242December 8, 2019 4:00 PM

R225 Harrison Jr would never get nominated for an Oscar for Waves. You need a Best Picture contender (which Waves isn't), along with a lot of time to buildup your campaign when you're that young and male. CMBYN premiered at Sundance a whole 12 months before Chalamet was nominated for it.

I think you're mistaking IT boy/girl territory for breakthrough territory. He is absolutely still an IT boy, a major one and is heavily talked about. But it was his breakthrough year in 2017, this year it's Pugh's etc.

----

I don't think his personality is a ploy, it's been the same for three years (although he's slightly more self assured now).

by Anonymousreply 243December 8, 2019 5:10 PM

As for the PTA thing, it remains to be seen whether he's looking for a boy or girl and the exact age. People in their early 20s do play high schoolers all the time. But supposedly he wrote it with his daughter, so it wouldn't surprise me if the main character will be a girl. Chalamet also starts his play in April, so with rehearsals etc. I don't know that he'd have enough time to lead a film a few weeks before. Maybe a supporting role, if there's any suitable.

by Anonymousreply 244December 8, 2019 5:14 PM

R221 For someone that supposedly doesn't care, you spend a lot of time researching and discussing this stuff. Most blind items are a pile of shit and they have been seen together recently. The video of his family interacting with Lily at The King premiere in NYC convinced me completely their relationship is real. You don't act like that with your fake boyfriend's family.

by Anonymousreply 245December 8, 2019 5:29 PM

Sorry that was meant for R220.

by Anonymousreply 246December 8, 2019 5:38 PM

R245: You are really a fan boy. The yatch pics were embarrasingly bad acting, he should be ashamed. If she is really his girlfriend he needs a screenplay to know how to kiss.

Are you convinced his relationship is real? Good for you. In my opinion its' completely fake (like a lot of HW relationships)

by Anonymousreply 247December 8, 2019 5:42 PM

R247 He's had awkward kisses in almost every movie I've seen him in. That's no sign of whether a relationship is real or not. Bad kissers exist, believe it or not.

And good for you that you think he's fake. His family are totally excited to see his fake girlfriend, she moved to NYC to be near her fake boyfriend, the non-famous side of her family all follow her fake boyfriend on social media. What a complex ploy to do what exactly? Who is going to see Little Women just because they saw these two kiss? Absolutely nobody.

by Anonymousreply 248December 8, 2019 5:51 PM

R248: The non famous part of her family? His father is famous, her mother is famous, she is famous for being their daughter.

And there's not complex ploy, they are seem together everytime they have something to promote, like every other fake couple. But most of them are way better at faking it. The pap pics came everytime there's a new project to promote

And you may think that nobody is going to watch anything because a fake couple promotes it, but it seems HW executives think very diferently given the good amount of these type of couples that hw is able to produce.

And as i say, you think they are real, perfect

by Anonymousreply 249December 8, 2019 6:05 PM

R249 Yes, the non-famous part. Her aunt and her aunt's partner, who Chalamet has met when visiting them in Paris.

The pap pics have been consistent since they got together except for when he was filming Dune in Eastern Europe for six months. They were papped plenty last Winter even though Beautiful Boy had been and gone by that point.

Look at this totally normal way to greet your fake boyfriend's sister!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250December 8, 2019 6:08 PM

What a totally normal way to interact with your son/brother's fake girlfriend!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251December 8, 2019 6:09 PM

Are you his publicist? Sorry, but nobody is that interested in make believe others that the relationship of an actor is real.

He almost faint when he was questioned about his relationship on the red carpet, and his mother was there to help him to skip a very easy question.

And both share a lot of friends, so it's not that surprising he has a good relationship with her family.

But what surprise me most is that you think he is so incredibly bad at kissing anyone. If he was so bad he won't be considered a good actor. For some reason, he is incredibly awkward with her. In my opinion he is not comfortable with lying .

Anyway, this theme is a waste of time because we are not going to agree

by Anonymousreply 252December 8, 2019 6:17 PM

R252 I'm not any more defensive that it's real as you are defensive that it's fake. And apparently, you don't care at all. Your words, not mine.

Almost fainted? He stuttered with his words, which he does in pretty much every interview. Big deal. What do their friends have to do with her aunt and uncle? Nothing.

I don't know if he's a bad kisser, I don't know what it feels like to kiss him. But it looks awkward, yes. It did in CMBYN, it did in Beautiful Boy, in most of the films he's kissed people in. Armie Hammer even basically said (in a nice way) that he's a bad kisser, by stating that he was sure Chalamet would be a better kisser in real life than he was as Elio. Being an awkward kisser has nothing to do with how good of an actor you are, unless you are cast specifically to play someone great at kissing. I guarantee if you were photographed in the middle of a prolonged makeout session, you would look slightly awkward too. He's an Oscar nominated actor, I think he's plenty comfortable with lying and pretending if that's what's he needed to do.

And you were the one to bring this subject back up even though multiple people here have told you that it's not the subject of the conversation, nor what people are interested in discussing. So if you think it's a waste of time, shut up about it and go back to 'not caring'.

by Anonymousreply 253December 8, 2019 6:23 PM

R253: I repeat, the subject of the thread is that the OP like Lucas Hedges more than Chalamet. The rest is up to what people want to comment.

Tim uses his private life (real or fake) to promote his career (just like a lot of actors do).

And no, you are nobody to tell me to shut up, if you don't like my opinions there's a precious block buttom

by Anonymousreply 254December 8, 2019 6:26 PM

R254 The subject is Hedges as an actor vs Chalamet as an actor. Nothing to do with their relationships. Why don't YOU start a thread on the 'fake' relationship if that's what YOU want to discuss? Oh you can't, because it will be deleted, because threads from fangirls like you that don't want to see him with anyone else aren't wanted.

He doesn't use his private life to promote his career in any way, shape or form. If that was the case, he'd have happily answered the question about her when asked. Stop contradicting yourself.

And I'll tell you to shut up as many times as I like thanks. But I thought you didn't care? I thought this was a waste of time?

by Anonymousreply 255December 8, 2019 6:29 PM

I find Hedges a more compelling actor doing more compelling work than Chalamet, even though Hedges really just plays shades of the same character. But while he and Chalamet both aren't very attractive IMO, Chalamet feeds into that beau-laid thing like a Calvin Klein model. Hedges is homely. But if I'm paying money to see a film I don't care about looks, I want a performance that moves me and I find that in Hedges' work more than Chalamet.

by Anonymousreply 256December 8, 2019 6:30 PM

R259: You are really delusional, hopefully you are very young because you are really naive. All those pap pics everytime he needs to promote something new are casual for sure. And you can say whatever you want that i will do whatever i want

by Anonymousreply 257December 8, 2019 6:32 PM

R255; This is a fucking gossip site, if you want to talk about the serious career of an actor there are a lot of places to go for sure

by Anonymousreply 258December 8, 2019 6:34 PM

R257 No my dear, you're delusional. You've deluded yourself into thinking you don't care and yet are spending your time passionately defending your right to talk about something you don't care about. The pap pics have been consistent and will continue to be as long as they are together, because she is papped all the time, with him and without him, something to promote or otherwise. You'll have to get over it I'm afraid.

Gossip site or not, this thread was not created for the purpose it's now been taken over by, thanks to you. Everyone else is trying to discuss their careers and here you are. There are other places for this shit, go back to Tumblr.

by Anonymousreply 259December 8, 2019 6:35 PM

R259_ Do you realize that if you were not so insistent this conversation could have die long time ago?

And no, this is the place for that shit

by Anonymousreply 260December 8, 2019 6:37 PM

R260 I'm not bothered whether the conversation dies or not. I'll happily go back and forth, with the evidence to prove you wrong over and over again. And I will do that for as long as you continue to post this shit in an irrelevant topic. But there are other people that would like to have an interesting discussion about something else. And you yourself said it was a waste of time. And yet you're still here.

by Anonymousreply 261December 8, 2019 6:38 PM

R281: What evidence? The only evidence is that you are a fan boy incredibly invested in prove the purity of the relationship of a HW actor

by Anonymousreply 262December 8, 2019 6:40 PM

R262 I've posted plenty of evidence in this thread, none of which you have managed to refute. Your evidence is blind items and the fact that you have eyes. Well according to blind items I've read, he's been secretly dating Ansel Elgort for years. So I guess that's the truth we've been looking for all along.

by Anonymousreply 263December 8, 2019 6:42 PM

R263: Yes, plenty of evidente, sure. You basically post footage of they fucking in their bed.

by Anonymousreply 264December 8, 2019 6:43 PM

R264 If I did, I'm sure we'd have to hear from you about how awkwardly they're doing it, but you don't care at all of course.

by Anonymousreply 265December 8, 2019 6:44 PM

R265: Exactly, i don't care which doesn't mean it's not funny having you proving me how real it's his relationship. You must really love him if you can't stand that someone thinks his relationship is a pure pr stunt

by Anonymousreply 266December 8, 2019 6:46 PM

R266 Yes, you don't care which is why you revived a dead thread purely to post about it and are now on about your 20th reply to me trying to show that you don't care.

I couldn't care less if he was in a fake relationship, doesn't make a difference to me, nor would it make me think less of him or anyone that does it. It's just plenty clear to anyone with a brain that the evidence to suggest it's fake is basically nonexistent. And yet weirdos like you think you know everything about strangers. Strangers you don't care about even!

by Anonymousreply 267December 8, 2019 6:51 PM

R267: You accuse me of lying when i say that i don't care and you h ave the nerve of saying that you couldn't care less if he is in a fake relationship. You are really funny

by Anonymousreply 268December 8, 2019 6:52 PM

R268 There's a difference between me caring if he was in a fake relationship and thinking it reflects on him negatively or makes him a bad person and me caring about weirdos trying to state their opinions as facts and then not letting it go. I do care about the latter, not about the former, unlike you.

by Anonymousreply 269December 8, 2019 6:54 PM

R269*: I n ever said he was a bad person for being in a fake relationship, but i think he is a good actor and should't need to promote his career that way

by Anonymousreply 270December 8, 2019 6:56 PM

R270 Well luckily for you, he isn't. :)

by Anonymousreply 271December 8, 2019 6:56 PM

R271: That's your opinion, not mine

by Anonymousreply 272December 8, 2019 6:57 PM

R272 Nope. Pap photos aren't enough to promote your career, especially when you actively avoid doing so through that method in interviews and on social media. Whether you like it or not, sometimes people DO get papped without seeking it out.

by Anonymousreply 273December 8, 2019 6:59 PM

R273: Yes that happens, but when you have a way bigger profile than Chalamet, when curiously is only papped when he has something to promote

by Anonymousreply 274December 8, 2019 7:00 PM

R274 What are you actually talking about? He may not be a household name but he IS beloved on the internet. Photos and articles about him will guarantee clicks and attention. Why would media outlets not want pap photos of him? And she has been regularly papped since she was about 16.

He is papped plenty when he doesn't have something to promote, he just happens to have 2-3 films released every year, which means he regularly does have something to promote. But for example, he was papped in London during pre-production for The King, when he wouldn't have a film released for another six months.

by Anonymousreply 275December 8, 2019 7:03 PM

Yeah stupid bitches from taptalk ruined another thread. It was FUN while it lazted. Probably Mmuriel shoukd Make an autoban of any thread where Timothee Chalamet mentioned cos this fucker is a curse for mental People to get triggered

I suggest Just ignore any provocations from them to discuss his personal life Ban them if you need this way the thread will stay sane

by Anonymousreply 276December 8, 2019 7:12 PM

Who let the dogs out?

Muriel, cancel this thread.

by Anonymousreply 277December 9, 2019 12:37 AM

Can we go back to comparing Lucas and Tim? Me thinks so far Tim is getting ahead as he seems to have all the fraus on his side., who will definitely watch his films, along with teenage girls and gay guys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278December 11, 2019 10:28 PM

R278 It does seem like more people want to see Timmy get fucked.

by Anonymousreply 279December 11, 2019 10:57 PM

didnt' realize tim is older than lucas (not by much), but definitely thought it was the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 280December 12, 2019 3:01 PM

An unpopular opinion:

I don't think that Timothée Chalamet is that great of an actor, currently speaking. I sincerely believe that he has enormous potential, but, in most films (not all) he's been in to date, he presents himself as not knowing what he should actually be doing in terms of the continuity of the character. I'm not referring to scene continuity at all, but, just in the way he concentrates his acting on individual scenes, and applying a separate intensity to each one, which fragments his acting abilities.

Fraus , bite your beef curtains shut. Any gay TC fans, please speak freely.

by Anonymousreply 281December 13, 2019 10:45 PM

Oh, and another thing. Timothée is quite the enigma: There is no questioning of his charisma and unique individuality, but he offers up only a superficial representation of himself in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 282December 13, 2019 11:03 PM

R281 R282 I agree with you on both points, and I'm a huge fan of TC. He's beautiful to look at, entertaining to watch and listen to, and I hope he's cast in many more movies, but I also think there's room for improvement in terms of his acting. Sometimes it seems like he's trying too hard because he wants so badly to be stellar. Maybe he focuses so much on individual scenes because he has a short attention span? Just a guess. He's seems very intelligent but also frenetic in terms of his behavior.

by Anonymousreply 283December 13, 2019 11:45 PM

I only felt that way in Beautiful Boy, but I'm guessing that was down to the fractured timeline and how in one scene he'd be sober and the next fucked up on drugs. He'd go from subtle and naturalistic to a bit hammy and it was jarring. But I can't say that I've thought that about any of his other performances, I think he usually manages to create a fully formed character quite easily.

by Anonymousreply 284December 14, 2019 1:57 AM

[quote] I guarantee if you were photographed in the middle of a prolonged makeout session, you would look slightly awkward too.

Yes, just look at this awkward pair!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285December 14, 2019 2:41 AM

His time as respectable young prodigy as it was in 2017 early 2018 has passed. Now he is more talked as fashion whore. He is one of the most hated person on Twitter and loved to be ridiculed even by his own fans. People do not remember anymore he was nominated on oscar, the majority think he is famous cos he is pretty. I am so dissapointed in the way he presents himself, about his career choices and everything he has been doing past 1,5 years. I think i stop with my stanning of him cos it is too much to handle. I wish him the best. Hope check on him in 5 years and see that i was wrong and he actually became more than a pretty face, that people actually respect him for his talent. So far i cringe

by Anonymousreply 286December 14, 2019 3:12 AM

Btw have you noticed with male actors that they Come to us as Waves? We had a wave of gosling be every where, then cumberbetch (dunno how you spell him) then now its Adam driver and seems like TC in a way. They all Last like 5years of intense work and then disappear or at least work much less than before. Interesting why is that so

by Anonymousreply 287December 14, 2019 3:22 AM

R287 I think Hollywood and maybe people in general love youth so actors age out. Remember all the movies starring Ryan Reynolds? What about Chris Pratt? There was even a brief period of the very average-looking Miles Teller as leading man. Who exactly was he supposed to appeal to? With all of his shortcomings, I like TC better than any of those guys. Hedges also represents an improvement over past eras of leading men. I hope it lasts, but it occurs to me this trend might be a reaction to Trump. Chalamet and Hedges are the anti-Trumps, representing everything our President is not.

by Anonymousreply 288December 14, 2019 3:37 AM

Sorry, cant stop. 2018 Timothee - youngest oscar nominee, 2019 Timothee - fucking meme

by Anonymousreply 289December 14, 2019 3:37 AM

Ok i checked Kelvin Harrison Jr. Wiki Page the dude is unstoppable. He has more and better movies than TC on his list and has 3 more i 2020 in post production. And he never studied antwhere sirioysly i mean there written he took some acting classes but not like TC Who has 5 years of drama school. And he acknowledged by many to be a better actor. Big lol

by Anonymousreply 290December 14, 2019 4:31 AM

Okay R286 stop having a meltdown.

His fashion choices are not more talked about then his acting. If they are currently, it's because none of the public can actually see Little Women yet, we can only see the red carpet photos. The critics that have seen it have been very complimentary of his work.

He is definitely not one of the most hated people on Twitter. If you search his name, the top tweets are all positive. His fans making memes of him is not anything new and is also not being done to ridicule him. It's a bit of fun and normal for fans to do.

Everyone remembers that he was nominated for an Oscar, as well as his Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG nominations for Beautiful Boy that all happened only a year ago.

You're disappointed in his career choices in the last 1.5 years? You mean signing up to work with Greta Gerwig, Wes Anderson and Denis Villeneuve, three of the most respected living filmmakers that all have Oscar nominations for Best Director? What exactly would you have preferred him to do instead?

Kelvin is doing very well for himself but he does not have better movies. He has no films in the 90s on Metacritic whereas Chalamet has three including his most recent film (CMBYN, Lady Bird, Little Women). His upcoming films are also not inspiring the same anticipation levels from film fans as The French Dispatch and Dune are. People will have their opinions on who the better actor is, but absolutely no one whose opinions on film is worth anything thinks Chalamet is anything less than a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 291December 14, 2019 5:21 AM

Jeez, R291, relax. Everyone else’s opinions are valid too. Why do you feel the need to defend him so strenuously?

by Anonymousreply 292December 14, 2019 1:07 PM

R292 not r291 but you're that unhinged stan who now hates him for dating Lily Rose Depp. We can spot your pussy stench clenching in anguish, a mile away. Go back to tumblr, you ugly dyke.

by Anonymousreply 293December 14, 2019 1:31 PM

Timmy is pretty. That's not going to take away from him also being extremely talented. Like a young Leo, Depp, Pitt, that's just going to expand his horizons and open him up to a wider audience.

by Anonymousreply 294December 14, 2019 1:34 PM

R293 Not a Tumblr frau, but by all means block me. I insist.

by Anonymousreply 295December 14, 2019 2:09 PM

R286, I bet you hold a stronger opinion of Timmy than you do of the politicians that run your country. Relax, he's just an actor, nothing he does has a direct effect on you — or it shouldn't anyway

by Anonymousreply 296December 14, 2019 2:18 PM

@R291, R286 is just a drama queen. Ignore

by Anonymousreply 297December 14, 2019 2:23 PM

R293, so now dyke is a slur on the DL, of all places?? Who are you? I'm sure you're a Trump troll. Get the f*** out of here, sad cumstain

by Anonymousreply 298December 14, 2019 2:25 PM

R292 I'm fine with different opinions. But stuff like 'hes one of the most hated people on Twitter' and 'his career choices in the past 1.5 years have been bad' aren't opinions, they're objectively untrue statements. It's not even about defending him, it's about stopping someone from becoming completely paranoid and melting down just because people are complimenting Chalamet's style.

by Anonymousreply 299December 14, 2019 3:32 PM

R299 I agree with your taking issue with the untrue and unreasonable complaints of R286, but you cannot claim overall that you are "fine with differing opinions" when you wrote in R291, "...absolutely no one whose opinions on film is worth anything thinks Chalamet is anything less than a great actor."

"Great actor" is subjective. There will be differing opinions, like this one from respected Vulture critic David Edelstein: "It pains me to say that Chalamet is only okay... In any case, Chalamet has a ways to go before tackling Hamlet." As to the writer of R293: Why such nastiness? Why do TC threads always turn so ugly? He's just an actor, there to entertain. And he's a sweet guy who surely would not want you to make homophobic slurs on his behalf.

by Anonymousreply 300December 14, 2019 8:27 PM

R300 David Edelstein on CMBYN: Chalamet gives the performance of the year.

David Edelstein on Beautiful Boy: A test of an actor is playing someone who’s split in so many ways that he moves forward while looking backwards and vice versa, and Chalamet is already a master.

Edelstein didn't think much of his performance in The King, but he clearly believes that he as an actor has been great and has the potential to be great again. Taking quotes out of context isn't cool, you make it sound like he's calling Chalamet 'only okay' in general, when he was actually referring to one specific performance. And he even went on to say that it 'reflects less poorly on the actor than on me' for having such high expectations of him.

by Anonymousreply 301December 14, 2019 8:46 PM

R 301 Well, it wasn't my intent to mislead. I try not to write overly long posts so I didn't include a lot of explanation for the quote. Also, I didn't research everything Edelstein ever said about TC as you have. I'm not that invested. My point is that you are not OK with anyone saying your beloved actor is anything less than superlative. I think he's good, and I'm a fan. I just wouldn't include him up there with the best performances I've ever seen. I'm thinking Leo in The Revenant or Christian Bale in American Hustle off the top of my head. You likely will disagree with my idea of great. It's subjective. I wouldn't criticize you for saying Leo's lousy, for instance. It wouldn't bother me at all. We're all entitled to our opinions without someone else saying our opinions are not "worth anything."

by Anonymousreply 302December 14, 2019 10:04 PM

What do people on this thread think?

[quote] a. Wow

[quote] b. Too much

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303December 14, 2019 10:20 PM

I forgot the third option: too gay

by Anonymousreply 304December 14, 2019 10:21 PM

R303 I applaud the change of topic. I hate the suit but admire him for wearing whatever he feels like wearing no matter what people think. Brave of him. This is apparently womenswear (from Stella McCartney). Also, he looked gorgeous in it, but then he looks gorgeous always.

by Anonymousreply 305December 14, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote] It's not even about defending him, it's about stopping someone from becoming completely paranoid and melting down just because people are complimenting Chalamet's style.

Why do you give a shit who’s paranoid? Is it really any skin off your nose?

Anyway, on the suit: Bleargh. But good on him for the risk taking.

by Anonymousreply 306December 14, 2019 11:40 PM

I am the one with meltdown and pissed cos Last few months read hellla a lot shit about TC. One critic who actually votes for one of the awards called him a meme and that Timothee is not the one to be taken siriously anymore. And before he liked his performance in cmbyn. And i bet he is not alone. So all this stans with their fucking memes do not do Timothee any service. Just as his obsesion with fashion. Critics stop taking him siriously and this is a big fucking loss

by Anonymousreply 307December 15, 2019 12:35 AM

And talkung about Lucas - he is right to take small roles so far. He is honing his acting abilities. One Day he ll be ready to step in for big lead roles and Will not fail it. Timothee skipped this stage of honing ad tryi g smaller but more diverse roles that would help him Make his range bigger, learn from the Best and Master his craft. He is now doing lead roles mostly and he is not fully ready yet. Itis Tom Hiddlstone all over again. A gifted actor Who became famous too fast and screw up his chances to become grt some Day. I do not wish Timothee this fate. But it seems he has other priorities right now. I am not even worried about his choices. I feel like People arouns him are shit and want desperatly make money on him.

by Anonymousreply 308December 15, 2019 12:41 AM

I misspell a lot cos my fingers are fat and i am typing from my Phone. Soz

by Anonymousreply 309December 15, 2019 12:44 AM

The only thing that calm ne down a Lil is that Adam Driver and ScarJo are memes too now. Seems like it auniversal thing if you started in Netflix movie

by Anonymousreply 310December 15, 2019 12:49 AM

R310

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311December 15, 2019 1:47 AM

R302 Let me clarify, for the purpose of this conversation, the only people whose opinions on film I think are worth anything are the top critics and filmmakers themselves. Yes anyone off the street can have their random opinion and sometimes those opinions may be valuable, but as we are seeing with Marriage Story, those opinions are often uninformed and biased. I truly have not seen a major critic say Chalamet is anything less than great. Even when they may be critical of a specific performance, they usually add a caveat on how he is still great overall. I know this because I read a lot of film criticism, which is why I've 'memorized everything David Edelstein has ever said'. I'm not sure who you think you are to tell me what I'm not okay with, but I assure you I'm perfectly fine with hearing any opinion on Chalamet's acting. The point was that the person I was responding to was suggesting that Kelvin Harrison Jr was universally seen as the better actor. I stated that that would be a matter of personal opinion, but that anyone who knows what they're talking about can see that Chalamet (as well as Harrison Jr) are made of greatness. And I stand by that. Your person favorite performances are personal to you and I couldn't really care less what they are, with all due respect.

R306 weird comment. Why do any of us give a shit to respond here at all? Why do you give a shit if I give a shit if someone's paranoid? It's a place for discussion.

R307 You're talking about Jon Frosch? But he wasn't calling him a meme in a critical way, he was simply stating that people should be reminded of how he is more than his persona and is an excellent actor. He worried that people were taking him for granted. That didn't stop him from writing very complimentary words about his performance in Little Women. It was the opposite of not taking him seriously.

R308 no, this isn't how it works. Lucas won't get to magically one day step into a number of leading roles. He will be known as a character actor and that's the opportunities that he will mostly be continue to given. Chalamet doesn't need time to warm up for lead roles, he's already proven he can do it (and then some). And they may not always be a CMBYN-level success, but that's okay. He's not going to get permanantly tarnished for being imperfect now and again, I promise you.

by Anonymousreply 312December 15, 2019 2:12 AM

R312 NO i refered to another critic with much bigger following and he said it on awards forum in the comments section. Thats why i am worried

by Anonymousreply 313December 15, 2019 2:24 AM

R313 Who?

by Anonymousreply 314December 15, 2019 2:25 AM

And to be clear he Did mean it in a bad way. No question of that.

by Anonymousreply 315December 15, 2019 2:25 AM

I Dont want name him here for crazy fans will go after him and Will make another influential critic hate Timothee for the things he never done but cos his fans are mental. This threads being read by silent community if you dont know

by Anonymousreply 316December 15, 2019 2:28 AM

R316 right well if you can't name him, then I can't really take it seriously as I can't think of any respected film critic that would take to an awards forum to call an actor a meme. It would be highly unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 317December 15, 2019 2:30 AM

But you can check a thread on LW on one of the most popular awards forum. I read it there

by Anonymousreply 318December 15, 2019 2:30 AM

R318 what is LW?

by Anonymousreply 319December 15, 2019 2:30 AM

R317 well i thought at first he is a random awards whore too. Just recently discovered by accident his Twitter account and was shoked he is a ligit critic

by Anonymousreply 320December 15, 2019 2:32 AM

R320 and by legit critic, do you mean someone that has their own blog/site and writes reviews that get approved on Rotten Tomatoes? Or do you mean someone who writes for a major site like Variety or The Hollywood Reporter, whose reviews get approved for Metacritic and are a member of a group like NYFCC and LAFCA? Because there's a big difference between the two.

by Anonymousreply 321December 15, 2019 2:34 AM

And professional OR NO. Critics are People and People are biased. In ideal world all critics judge a performance for what it is. But we do not live in this perfect world. Here critics are petty, judgmenal, subjective and have their favs and they vote not for the strongest but for those Who serve todays agenda of Who should win. As Laura Dern said in Marriage Story "its fucked up"

by Anonymousreply 322December 15, 2019 2:34 AM

R319 little women discussion thread

by Anonymousreply 323December 15, 2019 2:35 AM

R321 he is a legit critic who votes in one of the critics awards

by Anonymousreply 324December 15, 2019 2:42 AM

R323 I think I know what site you're referring to and I can only think of one person who I'd refer to as a legitimate, professional critic that posts there, and he definitely has never referred to Chalamet as a meme. So assuming you're talking about a random guy with a blog, well the world will keep spinning and his opinion is not influential enough to affect anything. Certainly not a big enough deal to prompt this meltdown from you.

And yes all critics are humans so they have a level of bias, but there is at least the effort to be impartial, which is not there with something like the Golden Globes for example.

by Anonymousreply 325December 15, 2019 2:43 AM

R323 I think I know what site you're referring to and I can only think of one person who I'd refer to as a legitimate, professional critic that posts there, and he definitely has never referred to Chalamet as a meme. So assuming you're talking about a random guy with a blog, well the world will keep spinning and his opinion is not influential enough to affect anything. Certainly not a big enough deal to prompt this meltdown from you.

And yes all critics are humans so they have a level of bias, but there is at least the effort to be impartial, which is not there with something like the Golden Globes for example.

by Anonymousreply 326December 15, 2019 2:43 AM

R312 You may value only the opinions of critics, but this thread (indeed this entire site) is a forum for personal opinions. Look at any other discussion of actors on DL and you will find ONLY personal opinions, biased, absurd, insightful, whatever. I find it interesting and entertaining to read those opinions. If I wanted to hear only the opinions of critics, I would go to their websites. You are indeed correct. Almost all of them think Chalamet is THE GREATEST ACTOR TO EVER LIVE. That's worth noting, but I'd still like to hear other people's thoughts. Not everyone considers the critics to be the final authority. Discussion is good. Sharing different perspectives is good. I think that's why people come to DL. It's not about whose opinion is the most worthy.

by Anonymousreply 327December 15, 2019 3:27 AM

R327 I have to believe at this point you're deliberately ignoring the context of my comments. Obviously I appreciate the discussion and opinions here. If I thought they had no merit whatsoever, why would I bother to be here and join in? I was specifically responding the the meltdown where a Chalamet Stan was saying that everyone thought Harrison Jr was a better actor. When trying to reason with them, the word of critics is going to be more of a valid source than the word of random people on DL or anywhere else. If you were trying to prove to someone that someone was a respected actor, would you go to their reviews from critics or a DL thread? That's my point.

by Anonymousreply 328December 15, 2019 3:32 AM

[quote] It's a place for discussion.

Yes, it’s a place for discussion. Yet the only opinions you seem interested in entertaining are your own, or those of critics, which might as well be the same thing. You simply shut down anyone who posits otherwise and talk in circles until they give up in frustration.

by Anonymousreply 329December 15, 2019 3:59 AM

R329 Disagreeing with people is not shutting them down. People are free to continue to respond to me as many times as they like, just as they are free to disagree with me as many times as they like. I'm not going to pretend I agree with someone if I do not. I'm really not sure what is so controversial about stating that Chalamet is considered to be a great actor by those that know what they're talking about. Would you be as bothered if I said the same thing about another older actor? If someone here, or anywhere else, thinks he is not capable of greatness, then they have the right to that opinion but I can't honestly take it seriously after seeing some of the work that he has produced. It's that simple.

by Anonymousreply 330December 15, 2019 4:08 AM

[quote] Your person favorite performances are personal to you and I couldn't really care less what they are, with all due respect.

Really, R330, you think a sentence like that invites discussion?

by Anonymousreply 331December 15, 2019 4:12 AM

R331 Why do I have the responsibility to 'invite discussion' on what your favorite performances are when it had nothing to do with the conversation I was having with another person that you were responding to, nor does it really have anything to do with the topic of this thread, seeing as you listed Bale and DiCaprio not Chalamet and/or Hedges. You were using your favorite performances as an attempt to prove me wrong about something but all it really was was irrelevant to what was being debated at that time. You can talk about American Psycho and The Revenant here all day long if that's what you want to do, I'm just letting you know, as you were responding to me, that it's not what I'm interested in talking about in a Chalamet vs. Hedges thread.

by Anonymousreply 332December 15, 2019 4:17 AM

R332, you’ve just proved my point at R329.

Anyway, bored of you. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 333December 15, 2019 4:21 AM

R333 by your logic, if I responded to a random post and started talking about how much I loved, for example, Florence Pugh in Midsommar, that person would then be expected to entertain the conversation with me, despite it having nothing to do with what was previously being discussed. I don't agree with that, people have the right to discuss or ignore any element of the conversation they wish to.

'Bored of you' isn't really inviting discussion either now, is it?

by Anonymousreply 334December 15, 2019 4:26 AM

If you’ve never heard the term “persistent debate troll,” google it.

by Anonymousreply 335December 15, 2019 3:24 PM

R335 If you think you're being trolled because I won't roll over and shut up just because you request it, then the ignore feature is right there.

by Anonymousreply 336December 15, 2019 3:39 PM

Excellent idea, R336. Kindly block me too.

by Anonymousreply 337December 15, 2019 3:45 PM

R337 I don't block people as DL posts don't bother me enough for me to think I'm being trolled. But glad that you can move forward now without me bothering you so much.

by Anonymousreply 338December 15, 2019 3:48 PM

[quote] Disagreeing with people is not shutting them down

The manner in which you disagree with them is, in effect, doing just that. For example, you negate the lay person's comments by stating that "the only people whose opinions on film I think are worth anything are the top critics and filmmakers themselves".

Established and well respected critics are not infallible. As someone who has been in the arts (not hollywood) his entire life, I have come across countless negative critiques which are blatantly biased.

by Anonymousreply 339December 15, 2019 11:40 PM

R339 there's literally no point in me attempting to respond to this as once again, you're ignoring the context of that comment that I have pointed out to you numerous times now. This isn't rocket science, but if you can't grasp it then just leave it alone rather than continue to bother me about it. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 340December 16, 2019 2:23 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 341December 16, 2019 6:29 PM

R303

This is NOT a caftan.

He does NOT wear earrings.

He MIGHT be straight.

by Anonymousreply 342December 16, 2019 10:12 PM

I think we can all agree that he would definitely rock a caftan better than Lucas Hedges.

by Anonymousreply 343December 16, 2019 11:14 PM

I think we can all agree that he would definitely rock a caftan better than Lucas Hedges.

by Anonymousreply 344December 16, 2019 11:14 PM

Definitely into women. He looks her up and down, licks his lips, pats her on the back three times and then rubs her back. They'll be cute when they make a go of it when they're 40 and she's gone through her first divorce and he's tired of fucking nepotism kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345December 16, 2019 11:28 PM

^^ You're reading way too much into video clip. Nothing to see there folks. Move along.

by Anonymousreply 346December 17, 2019 12:37 AM

No, he's definitely checking her out. And the thing about them being 40 was...a joke.

by Anonymousreply 347December 17, 2019 12:38 AM

No he's not. You're fucking delusional.

by Anonymousreply 348December 17, 2019 1:18 AM

R345 Sure. His latest story of her being photographed with him saying "and work and work and work and work" has convinced me that he's DEFINITELY into women...lol

by Anonymousreply 349December 17, 2019 3:19 AM

You all get so offended when the obvious is pointed out. The twink ain't gay, you really need to get over it.

by Anonymousreply 350December 17, 2019 7:05 AM

yeaaah forget the fact he just looked at a female body like it was his next meal....the guy said work four times, he clearly HATES vagina

by Anonymousreply 351December 17, 2019 7:15 AM

R345 I actually don't think he's gay but he has zero sexual chemistry with Saoirse and that video doesn't prove anything.

And if you think he's checking her out in that video you've clearly never seen a straight guy checking out a girl

by Anonymousreply 352December 17, 2019 10:02 AM

R352 His relationship with Saoirse is weird, they say they're friends but she treats him like her annoying little brother and actually likes to put him down quite a bit. There's definitely zero sexual tension there.

by Anonymousreply 353December 17, 2019 10:20 AM

I see sexual chemistry there to be honest, at least from his side. She looks hot enough in that dress that if he's remotely into women I'm sure he'd notice. Brother/sister relationships aren't realistic when you've already made out with them half naked. That's just something to say to stop any speculation (not that I think there's anything going on between them).

As for her putting him down, I think that's just her personality. She seems closer to him than any of her other male co stars, other than her boyfriend of course.

by Anonymousreply 354December 17, 2019 11:05 AM

R352 huh? I don't care either way but he definitely looks her over in that vid in a less than brotherly manner

by Anonymousreply 355December 17, 2019 11:18 AM

Aaaa

by Anonymousreply 356December 17, 2019 11:25 AM

Aaaa

by Anonymousreply 357December 17, 2019 11:30 AM

Aaaa

by Anonymousreply 358December 17, 2019 11:31 AM

Aaaa

by Anonymousreply 359December 17, 2019 11:31 AM

Aaaa

by Anonymousreply 360December 17, 2019 11:32 AM

Aaaa

by Anonymousreply 361December 17, 2019 11:33 AM

Bbbbbbbbb

by Anonymousreply 362December 17, 2019 11:34 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaccc

by Anonymousreply 363December 17, 2019 11:36 AM

Kkkkkkk

by Anonymousreply 364December 17, 2019 11:36 AM

Sssssss

by Anonymousreply 365December 17, 2019 11:37 AM

Aaaaaa

by Anonymousreply 366December 17, 2019 11:38 AM

Bbbbbbb

by Anonymousreply 367December 17, 2019 11:39 AM

Ppppp

by Anonymousreply 368December 17, 2019 11:40 AM

Nnnnn

by Anonymousreply 369December 17, 2019 11:41 AM

Sssss

by Anonymousreply 370December 17, 2019 11:41 AM

Jjjjj

by Anonymousreply 371December 17, 2019 11:42 AM

Ppppp

by Anonymousreply 372December 17, 2019 11:43 AM

Ttttt

by Anonymousreply 373December 17, 2019 11:44 AM

Sssssss

by Anonymousreply 374December 17, 2019 11:45 AM

Llllll

by Anonymousreply 375December 17, 2019 11:46 AM

Llllll

by Anonymousreply 376December 17, 2019 11:47 AM

Rrrrrr

by Anonymousreply 377December 17, 2019 11:47 AM

Hhhhhh

by Anonymousreply 378December 17, 2019 11:48 AM

Rrrrrr

by Anonymousreply 379December 17, 2019 11:48 AM

Aaaaaa

by Anonymousreply 380December 17, 2019 11:49 AM

Sssss

by Anonymousreply 381December 17, 2019 11:50 AM

Ddddd

by Anonymousreply 382December 17, 2019 11:50 AM

Sssss

by Anonymousreply 383December 17, 2019 11:51 AM

Rrrr

by Anonymousreply 384December 17, 2019 11:51 AM

Cffff

by Anonymousreply 385December 17, 2019 11:52 AM

Rrrrr

by Anonymousreply 386December 17, 2019 11:52 AM

Ggggg

by Anonymousreply 387December 17, 2019 11:53 AM

Ffcff

by Anonymousreply 388December 17, 2019 11:54 AM

Hhhhhh

by Anonymousreply 389December 17, 2019 11:54 AM

Jjjjjj

by Anonymousreply 390December 17, 2019 11:55 AM

Kkjjk

by Anonymousreply 391December 17, 2019 11:56 AM

Uuuuu

by Anonymousreply 392December 17, 2019 11:56 AM

Ffffff

by Anonymousreply 393December 17, 2019 11:57 AM

Ddddd

by Anonymousreply 394December 17, 2019 11:57 AM

Kkji

by Anonymousreply 395December 17, 2019 11:58 AM

Kkkkk

by Anonymousreply 396December 17, 2019 11:59 AM

Cccfff

by Anonymousreply 397December 17, 2019 12:00 PM

Fddddd

by Anonymousreply 398December 17, 2019 12:00 PM

Ddddd

by Anonymousreply 399December 17, 2019 12:01 PM

Sssss

by Anonymousreply 400December 17, 2019 12:01 PM

Tffff

by Anonymousreply 401December 17, 2019 12:19 PM

Ddddd

by Anonymousreply 402December 17, 2019 12:20 PM

Ddddf

by Anonymousreply 403December 17, 2019 12:21 PM

Fffrr

by Anonymousreply 404December 17, 2019 12:22 PM

Ddffff

by Anonymousreply 405December 17, 2019 12:22 PM

Ffffff

by Anonymousreply 406December 17, 2019 12:23 PM

Ffrrff

by Anonymousreply 407December 17, 2019 12:24 PM

Ggggg

by Anonymousreply 408December 17, 2019 12:24 PM

Hhhhhh

by Anonymousreply 409December 17, 2019 12:25 PM

Ffddfff

by Anonymousreply 410December 17, 2019 12:26 PM

Dderrr

by Anonymousreply 411December 17, 2019 12:27 PM

Fffffff

by Anonymousreply 412December 17, 2019 12:27 PM

Fffff

by Anonymousreply 413December 17, 2019 12:28 PM

Gggggg

by Anonymousreply 414December 17, 2019 12:29 PM

Rrrddddd

by Anonymousreply 415December 17, 2019 12:30 PM

Gghjkl

by Anonymousreply 416December 17, 2019 12:30 PM

Fjfjfjfj

by Anonymousreply 417December 17, 2019 12:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!