Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Harry Styles New Album Fine Line Out 13/12 Part 2

Carried over from paywalled thread:

R65 There's no way at all of knowing how many of his fans are 1D fans, but he's the only 1D member (apart from Zayn in the beginning), whose fan base and general recognition seems to have stayed the same or even increased since. We've seen with every 1D member's new single releases and tours that a lot of the former 1D fans just aren't there anymore in 2019. Otherwise Niall wouldn't be hustling hard to push NTMY and sell his arenas and Liam and Louis wouldn't struggle to chart at all. I think it's unrealistic to assume that each of them has lost a significant amount of 1D fans, only Harry managed to keep them all. It's more realistic to assume Harry lost many 1D fans as well, but gained new fans at the same time. But plenty of these new fans might still want pop singer PR, simply because they're pop fans. And because pop is short for popular, which is self-explanatory.

by Anonymousreply 121December 6, 2019 12:59 PM

This sounds promising.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2019 6:36 PM

Thank you for the thread! It sounds indeed promising! So far it seems like She, Falling and Fine Line are the songs I'll watch out for...

Is there a post or twitter account anywhere with something about any of the other songs from the listening parties as well? I've read some people complain about spoilers, but if someone else has already searched stan twitter (or wherever) for them, that would make things easier.

I only read that someone asked him about Eroda at the listening party, but interpretations about his reaction seem to be different. Personally I find the whole Eroda thing fun and great promo and there seems to be so much evidence, on the other hand I would really laugh if it's something else entirely and everyone freaked out for nothing lol. I have a feeling we'll know more about that by the end of the week.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2019 9:29 PM

This was the best listening party of all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2019 12:28 AM

R3 A blast from the past - that was 2013, right? Everything about that video is charming, what a nice moment!

re Eroda: I think we'll find out tomorrow what it's all about. They are doing the countdown thing. Since tomorrow is a Friday it's very possible that a new single/music video comes. If so, it's probably Adore You. From what the comments of a radio DJ, who's already heard it, someone from a listening party and what I found out about the new songwriter (Amy Allen) I think I have a vague idea of this song's general sound - I'm curious to find out, if my idea will be close to reality.

by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2019 7:55 AM

Niall looks so bloated and greasy these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2019 7:25 PM

"re Eroda: I think we'll find out tomorrow what it's all about."

It's all so childish.

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2019 7:51 PM

Wow! I can't wait to not listen to it!

by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2019 7:54 PM

I still don't understand why Harry keeps saying he played it safe with HS1 and that he made it with the 'bumpers' up when ( as Zane Lowe says in the interview), his debut single was a 6 minute mid tempo soft rock ballad which was anything but radio friendly. If anything you would say that Harry's move towards a more 'pop' sound is far more safe as is his entire promo strategy this time playing to his majority young/female fanbase who are more interested in him as a person than his music. It's also very convenient that ( along with Louis) he is now redefining success as being happy with the music you produce rather than chart positions.. My problem with that is what will his musical legacy be? Surely you want to be remembered for your music and not for what you wear and at the moment nothing he has put out since Sign of the Times is really connecting with the general public ( although Lights Up is a mid chart success in the UK it's done absolutely nothing anywhere else). Yes he is going to make a fortune out of his tour especially since tickets for the standing pods were £180 in the UK but I just expected more from this 2nd album...although I know we've only heard 2 songs so far.

by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2019 9:31 PM

R 8 I think your completely correct.

by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2019 10:18 PM

Why did you expect more from Harry, r8? The truth is he's a bland nothing manufactured pop star, despite all these massive efforts to make him out to be some kind of musical genius and great artist in a kind of David Bowie mould.

They tried really hard with the first album to write some "arty" songs for him, so he could make his crossover breakthrough, but he just couldn't pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2019 10:31 PM

R10 = Welp Troll. She has never forgiven Harry for splitting up her beloved One Direction.

Harry was playing it safe on HS1 in terms of recording serious music which would appeal to the music critics, none of whom took 1d seriously. Now he seems to be more about pleasing himself. I'm fine with this if it means he spends less time hugging a guitar and singing earnestly with his eyes down. He is at his best going wild on stage to a song like No Control or Kiwi. Doesn't matter if it's rock or pop as long as it's not slow and introverted like ESNY.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2019 12:12 AM

R8 I agree with a lot of what you said. In terms of commercial success he's playing it much safer now imho and I've said in the old thread that at times it seems his fashion and persona overshadows his actual music these days. And yes, while he seemed to have tried to branch out in terms of new fans and an audience outside of his target demographic, his promo is now mostly geared towards his established fan base - especially with the whole story of his tour making him happy and self-confident and providing a "safe space". The fans absolutely love that one. The cyncial side of me wonders if this overly sweet notion mostly serves to appease the (mentally) little girls, who can't deal with him writing songs about his ex girlfriend. If so, it's a good tactic, I actually find that better for him than if he truly relies on the bunch of mildly deranged strangers that his fandom is for a "safe space".

Anyway, while I think he's definitely going a safer commercial pop route now, I also think R11 is right. The way he's talking about HS1 now makes me want to kick him lol, but he makes it sound like he really tried to write songs for that musical legacy instead of the kind of music that he truly likes to make. We're wondering, because we come from a place of higher appreciation of HS1 compared to his new pop songs, so we think the switch is based on commercial reasons. However if this new sound is just his actual taste, that's an explanation too. I'm honestly not sure if I believe that tbh, because when HS1 came out I truly felt it made sense for him musically. His love for 70s rock, indie rock, folk, country and such was already apparent in 1D and he already wrote similar songs years before HS1. Two Ghosts, which wasn't out of place on HS1 and fit with Sweet Creature and ESNY was written in 2014 afaik, his leaked Don't Let Me Go from 2013 (?) could have easily been adapted to the HS1 sound and I imagine the songs he wrote with the Augustana guy might have been in a similar genre. On the other hand I don't remember Harry ever being that much into R&B, funk, soul etc., which are influences on LU and WS. Maybe these are things he discovered in the past two years, but then I don't get why he isn't saying that instead of implying that HS1 wasn't his true sound and he just didn't feel free enough back then.

We'll probably never find out what's just promo (both during the HS1 era and now in the FL era), what's market positioning and label influence and what's Harry's artistic vision. He talked in the Zane Lowe interview about having plans for several albums in the future and while he explained he moved away from that notion, who knows... maybe FL serves a certain purpose that will pave the way to the next album. Or not. We also haven't heard the full album yet, so we don't know the actual sound. He repeatedly said Fine Line is his favourite song and it has its very own vinyl side, so I think this one might say the most about his artistic vision.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2019 1:15 AM

R11 I like both his slow, earnest songs (ESNY is one of my favourites) and his fast rock songs, although of course the latter do more for him in terms of stage presence. But I'm not sure I can see him going wild on stage to relaxing mid-tempo songs like Lights Up or Watermelon Sugar, not like Kiwi (just compare SNL/Jools Holland to Kiwi on the Late Late Show in 2017) and especially No Control. 2015 Harry going off to No Control was a sight to behold, but he was also 21, wild, no choreography in any way, in simple jeans and shirts that allowed him to move around. I don't think he's coming back like that, there's too much of a stage persona with certain high-fashion looks and specific moves and such now. But seeing him performing Kiwi is of course still amazing.

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2019 2:21 AM

Why is everyone worried about a legacy ? The dudes 25 years old.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2019 4:51 AM

R14 True, he's still young and I'm sure he'll release many more albums. But it's about his whole journey and one day all of it will be part of his "legacy", even if it's now a big word for such a young guy. I think if you put out music there's always the question what you want - financial success, pop hits, taken seriously an artist, be a celebrity, produce music with a certain sound etc. It's always a statement one way or another and it shapes how people see you. Britney Spear's success and legacy is very different to for example FKA Twig's success and legacy. Or Norah Jones'. And all of it is absolutely fine if it's what they want.

When Harry released HS1 (and the way it was promoted) it said to me that he cares first and foremost about his music and a certain sound in his solo career, more so than chart success and superstardom. It came at the "cost" of alienating a portion of his 1D fans, who found this new approach aloof, 'arty' (see R10), bemoaned the lack of social media interaction and other stan culture things. Personally I thought he'd continue in the vein of HS1, focus on improving his music, building that "legacy", give new audiences more time and a chance to realise he's here to stay etc.

Instead Fine Line seems to be a departure from the HS1 statement/concept (which he corroborates in his interviews). This era focuses on a more mainstream pop sound, brighter/younger colours, goes back to more interaction with the existing fan base/demographic via social media and listening parties etc. So of course some people question if his plans and how he wants to build his legacy have changed.

Personally I still think he cares a lot about his music (although not sure about his sound preferences), but I don't quite know where he's going with the concept of this new era. I've mentioned Norah Jones above and you won't find people complaining that she's not enough on twitter or harassing/bashing her partners, because most people just listen to her music. If I were a musician, that would be my goal tbh, but I'm not Harry, I don't know what he wants or plans.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2019 6:24 AM

It's a sad fact that most of the fans like 1D better together rather than apart. Harry will always do well with concert sales because fans want to see him. They don't care what he sings. But, I think Harry wants both, big concerts and big record sales. Being a serious artist with no sales isn't really what he wants, even though he thought he did or someone told him he did.

His first album did well, not sure why he thinks he needs to change.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2019 6:40 AM

I don't get the hype. The songs that are out are meh. Nothing genius. And if you have to gay bait to gather interest in your music, then what does that say about the music?

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2019 7:14 AM

R11 R12 Yes, I can see that as the reason why he says he played it too safe. It would also fit in with the grammy push in the rock categories. However, Harry had been planning his solo career for a good 2 years before 1d split, he had written extensively outside of 1d, he seems to have been given carte blanche to do whatever he wanted and to take as much time as he needed for HS1. What he gave us was heavily influenced by other artists, but they were artists he has consistently referenced. We were told he wasn't interested in being a celebrity but just wanted to be a 'rock' star and that his was a long term project to expand his audience. What I'm trying to say is I can't believe after all those years of preperation /working at it that HS1 wasn't 'his' sound. I am however in no doubt that it didn't do as well as he and the label expected given the deal he is on and that was confirmed to me by his redefining of what 'success' means as I've said. So far this era it really does feel like a marketing strategy to keep his mainly female/younger fans on board and to gain even more female/younger fans to me and to get them to the concerts. He's telling the listening parties this album is 'just for them' ( a la Louis again) , we've got the repeated marketing soundbite of the fans 'giving him a safe space to be who he wants to be' , there's even a song on the album with his 'tagline' ie Treat People With Kindness'. Of course seeing the fans on tour supporting him no matter what have allowed him to be more 'honest on this album even though he was the 'most honest' he's evr been on the 1st album. Conclusion.....at the moment I sort of get the feeling he is selling himself and stage Harry ie the tour more than the music and I understand that thats where all the money is but I just wonder if the change in musical style was his choice.

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2019 8:25 AM

The fans always wanted indie frontman Harry and he looked the part right up until he donned the floral Gucci suits. He took a cd by indie darlings The White Stripes to his first meeting with Bhasker as an example of the direction he'd like to go in, but Bhasker and Irving Azoff decided they'd use him as a cipher to introduce millennials/Gen Z to the Eagles and FM, and the old fashioned, very slow in places, HS1 was born. I think the sound and look (high necked shirts and Elton John suits) were both too staid for a 23 year old.

Now, he seems to be embracing funk, soul and jazz elements, perhaps aiming for a Talking Heads circa 1985 sound. Again, too mature for my tastes. I am here for whatever as I find him fascinating as an individual (and very attractive) but my favourite songs sung by him are still half a dozen1d tracks from Four and Mitam, not solo Harry songs.

I'd love him to shake off the 70s and release something like Coldplay's first album Parachutes, or Interpol's first two albums. That's not happening with Fine Line, though.

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2019 10:59 AM

I doubt Bhasker "used" Harry, he is a professional, who has worked with very different artists and sounds. Harry came with the White Stripes to the first meeting and one of their first songs was Kiwi = basically what was "ordered". We never got a studio recording of Medicine, but I think it fits that sound as well. Then the long hair came off and indie rock took a backseat.

Personally I really like the old fashioned sound of HS1 (more than 1D's music) and think the acoustic guitar songs are very much Harry too, as he wrote Two Ghosts and other stuff way before HS1. He also always had a 70s music/style influence, even in 1D he listened to and tweeted about a ton of 70s music and was called "baby Jagger". So I don't subscribe to the notion that the Azoffs forced him into a direction for the sake of a certain image or to use him as a cipher, even though of course the HS1 era did portray a certain image (like every artist and era does). But sure, as such a young guy (only 22 when he wrote HS1) he could have made a younger sounding debut album with more songs in the vein of Kiwi and Medicine. But it would have been a shame if that would have meant missing out on Sign of the Times, it's probably his best and also most successful song.

I agree that many of the suits of the HS1 era were a bit much and too staid, despite their extravagancy. I actually appreciate a good stage outfit if it fits the age, vibe and body shape of the artist and supports instead of overshadows the musical performance. What his stylist chose for HS1 often missed that mark and in this new era any notion of that went completely out the window imho. I've read some twitter comments by the general public while I watched his performance on Jools Holland and 90 % of commenters were talking about his outfit and not at all in a good way. I doubt they even noticed his music.

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2019 7:33 PM

WTH?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2019 7:50 PM

Wow, this basically confirms that Eroda is his project/ad/whatever! Interesting! I liked the whole sneaky, weird thing from the start, but wasn't sure if it's actually Harry. It's also something that actually attracted people outside his fan base, which I think is great.

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2019 7:54 PM

Harry screaming into a jar is an accurate depiction of me every time when he shades HS1 lol.

The video looks really nicely done - Dave Meyers knows what he's doing. I hope the song (Adore You?) lives up to it.

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2019 8:00 PM

Mystery

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2019 8:06 PM

The "fan account" that uploaded the "cinema ad" is very likely Harry himself (or his team) lol. He definitely has his fun this era!

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2019 8:20 PM

All the tweets from the VisitEroda twitter sound like Harry, with his old fashioned phrasing and precise, quite formal written English, plus his whimsical wordplay and general eccentricities. I really like it.

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2019 12:57 AM

It's fun and all the sudden activity achieved its goal, which I think was to get Eroda trending - number one worldwide is nice to see. However I really expected it to lead up to something after all the hinting today? I thought first the twitter trend, then a trailer or whatever they had planned. But I was wrong apparently.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2019 1:08 AM

Harry's next single Adore You is coming out on 6 December - probably with the Eroda video.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2019 4:54 PM

Has anyone looked over there today? The Jewel Coat fish, the “emergency bulletin,” Deez Nuts...?

by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2019 6:29 PM

The posters are really beautiful. Definitely the reason why the illustrator was involved on set, she had to see the clothes and all. If Harry makes this into t-shirt merchandise or something like that, he'll sell a ton.

R29 You mean the Jewel Coat fish alert? I think it's just a veiled metaphor for the fans (= fish) finding out about Eroda and "heading" towards the island = the Adore You music video, that will come out in a week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2019 6:35 PM

What about Deez Nuts? 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2019 6:43 PM

Am I really the only one who thinks this Eroda thing is a load of stupid nonsense and an awful lot of effort to go to to promo a song. I hope Adore You is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2019 9:25 PM

R32 I think it might be more than just a song. There's still the Lights Up director's cut out there, that might link the two video concepts, so it might actually be kind of a short film for the album? Some people even think of a visual album, but I don't know. In general I think it's a fun concept, I like how "peculiar" (sorry) it is, a bit like a Roald Dahl story. However there are now a ton of roleplayers, fake Eroda accounts and people posing as Harry's team's accounts on twitter and the fans take everything they say as canon. It's annoying and exhausting, because they use the official info and the fake info, mash it together and go completely crazy with their theories (most of them are ridiculous or plain stupid). So I try to stay away from all that, just wait until next week and see what the actual video and story is like.

We can hear a bit of the song in the video where Harry screams into a jar (lol).

by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2019 9:41 PM

R32, you're certainly not alone.

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2019 1:37 AM

HS1 was kind of all over the place. It had all kinds of music on there - maybe an attempt to attract a diverse group of fans? Everybody would find at least one song they liked and would play. It didn't really say anything about him as a musician as it wasn't clear what direction he was heading in.

Harry was always a fan favorite in 1D. He is charasmatic, good with the crowd, energetic, has cute dimples, is flirtatious, and convinces the teens he cares about each of them. He is also edgy with clothing choices, his gender neutrality, and his am I or am I not gay or bi schtick that appeals to teens.

My favorite HS song is his cover of Girl Crush at the BBC. I think it really suited him vocally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2019 2:37 AM

Louis performed at a festival in Nashville today and Larries were all in the front row. They managed to get twenty Pride flags up onto the stage but of course he ignored every single one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2019 2:41 AM

Of course Eroda is Harry. It is Adore spelled backwards - the name of his song. Likely some fan event or some merch thing.

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2019 2:42 AM

R35 Oh man, I love the Girl Crush cover. In general I think the covers of his first album era were really good, also The Chain and of course Ultralight Beam. His voice is perfect for them, makes me miss him singing like that again.

The songs of his first album had different genres/styles, but I think the production held them kind of together as an album. They were all very "traditional" in their sound, just guitars, bass, drums, piano. Hardly any effects and all had a bit of a .. vintage vibe, I guess. Hard to describe, but maybe that kind of sound made the album boring or staid for some of his fans, especially the younger ones. Personally I liked all of them, but I might have come from another musical background than most of his fans, I don't know. I think I had a Steeldrivers phase (again) right before I discovered his album.

R36 If Louis ever picks one of those fans' pride flags up, he's fucked. The Larries would take it as proof of everything they dreamed up over the years and there would be no chance the whole Larry thing will ever go away.

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2019 4:04 AM

[R38] I agree with the Louis thing. He is so over the whole Larry nonsense. It has created problems for not only him but his girlfriend, his kid's mom, his sisters, and his friendship with Harry. One of the issues is that Harry plays along with it a little. You would think the 1D fans would grow up and realize that it was all their teenage imagination and hormones run wild.

I saw a thing online where the Larry fans have planned a rainbow light show during Louis's concerts. They are setting it to one song that Louis explicitly has said he wrote for his girlfriend because the Larry fans are convinced it is actually about Harry. Must be so annoying for Louis. Then again, he needs all those 1D fans.

by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2019 4:34 AM

News flash: One Direction is over. The guys don't love each other and they don't love you. They are getting older and will continue to do so.

Next, please.

by Anonymousreply 40December 1, 2019 4:37 AM

"One of the issues is that Harry plays along with it a little."

Personally, there are a few times when Louis played along also. JMO

by Anonymousreply 41December 1, 2019 4:50 AM

"Must be so annoying for Louis. Then again, he needs all those 1D fans." That's true for all of them, even Harry. Their 1D fans are their biggest asset and their biggest curse, because they are in this ravenous, entitled boy band fan culture mindset (although other pop artists like Ariana, Taylor, Selena, Justin Bieber etc. have such fans too). They will forever demand and decide for the guys what they should do and represent, who they should and especially shouldn't date, they'll forever crave full attention and "personal" (social media) interaction to uphold the illusion of "knowing" them. They don't treat the guys as artists, but as their perfect dream "(boy)friends" and total projection surface for their own wishes and desires. And for some reason they never grow up, even a lot of the older fans act like that.

by Anonymousreply 42December 1, 2019 5:08 AM

Every one of them needs the 1D fans. Even Harry and I think he is finally realizing that.

by Anonymousreply 43December 1, 2019 5:34 AM

R43 R42 I agree with this. Harry's whole marketing camapaign this time around is about engagaging his younger/1d fans on social media ( the Do You Know Who You Are ? messaging thing and this Eroda find the clues game ( without Harry personally having to do much to engage with fans on social media other than like a few posts). I mean this is a proper social media campaign for the fans which we din't get with HS1.

by Anonymousreply 44December 1, 2019 8:21 AM

The fans love Eroda and the concept of the migrant north African Jewel Coat Fish being given a home there. It's a political, anti Brexit, pro migrant narrative.

The poster for Adore You has the Jewel Coats looking like golden koi carp and incorporates other Japanese elements into the artwork.

by Anonymousreply 45December 1, 2019 1:35 PM

Apparently, the single "Watermelon Sugar" is about the joys of giving head! Me thinks someone is peaking out of the closet?

by Anonymousreply 46December 1, 2019 2:50 PM

R46 Not necessarily. He likes being provocative in his songs. It sells. His first album also had references - see Medicine

by Anonymousreply 47December 1, 2019 3:40 PM

'Apparently, the single "Watermelon Sugar" is about the joys of giving head! Me thinks someone is peaking out of the closet?'

Watermelon but also strawberries and sugar and all things feminine. A bisexual song again. He says 'I want your belly' which isn't what you'd sing about a guy, is it? The belly is the vagina and the womb. If he wanted a guy he'd be focused on the ass.

by Anonymousreply 48December 1, 2019 6:00 PM

'I want your belly' doesn't make me think of 'vagina and womb' at all. If that's what he wanted I'm sure there were other more poetic/fruit based metaphors he could have used. When I read it I assumed he really wanted someones belly... to lie on , to kiss ,who knows. But yes I thought Watermelon Sugar was a Medicine part 2.

by Anonymousreply 49December 1, 2019 10:31 PM

It's about oral sex, but I don't know about giving head... ? There's the "breathe me in, breathe me out" line, but that sounds more like getting head than giving. As far as I know he wrote that song while he was on tour after he got together with his ex gf Camille in summer - there are plenty of summer references in the lyrics and as R48 said the metaphors seem more feminine to me, especially since there's also the rumour that in his next single there's a line about a "strawberry lipstick set of mind". And Camille's favourite book is In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan. But I mean, in the end it's a song about "the joys of mutually appreciated oral pleasure" as Zane Lowe put it, so I guess everyone is free to read it as it applies to them.

by Anonymousreply 50December 1, 2019 11:20 PM

Harry never agreed that's what it's about. As usual.

by Anonymousreply 51December 2, 2019 12:41 AM

"Camille's favourite book is In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan"

Did she tell you that ?

by Anonymousreply 52December 2, 2019 12:48 AM

"Camille's favourite book is In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan"

Did she tell you that ?'

Everyone in the fandom has known that for weeks. She mentioned it in an interview with a magazine before she was even dating Harry. He also said she recommended books to him.

by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2019 12:52 AM

R53 He never said Camille recommended books to him. The quote from Rolling Stone is:

'Reading didn’t really used to be my thing. I had such a short attention span. But I was dating someone who gave me some books; I felt like I had to read them because she’d think I was a dummy if I didn’t read them.”

Well he was reading some serious literature a long time before Camille came on the scene. There is a whole page dedicated to his favourite literature in the Another Man article in September 2016 where he says: '“A friend gave me Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse when we started travelling together. It makes a lot of sense to me. I think it’s a really important book.” The picture also includes a Charles Bukowski book ( and he has been seen reading Bukowski since 2014) and the selected poems of Rumi. That is hardly the reading for someone with a short attention span. So whoever introduced him to reading was before 2014.However I have no doubt that fans were supposed to relate that quote to Camille Rowe....and they did.

R50 There is also rumoured to be a line in Adore You about a 'Rainbow Paradise' and his co-writer Amy Adams adorned her insta post about the song with rainbows so if that is true once again he knows exactly what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 54December 2, 2019 8:51 AM

R54 Personally I didn't take that part in Rolling Stone about him starting to read books to be about Camille. So not sure if I was "supposed" to relate it to her? It was more a general discussion of reading and books (the Murakami novel wasn't related to Camille either) and I understood that quote as something that happened before Camille. As you said, he was already seen with and talking about books before her. Although it seems that Camille is an avid reader, so it's only natural that they talked about and exchanged books. Therefore I'm pretty sure his song Watermelon Sugar was written with Camille in mind and that the title/chorus is a reference to one of her favourites.

Adore You might hint at queerness, we don't know yet, but that doesn't change that to me Watermelon Sugar doesn't sound very bisexual.

There's a new trailer for the Adore You video out. So far it seems to deal with the general theme of being an outsider, loneliness and depression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 2, 2019 5:00 PM

The video reminds me of the work of the French director Jean Pierre Genaut. Very intriguing and unusual. Adore You is the lead single from Fine Line! LU and WMS were buzz songs.

HS1 has now outstreamed Icarus Falls and Mind of Mine combined.

by Anonymousreply 56December 2, 2019 7:52 PM

Oh, yes, it's bit like a mixture between a Wes Anderson and Jean Pierre Jeunet movie (at least his later stuff). I like that style, it's also great for telling a story that deals with the topics like isolation, being different, getting shunned, loneliness and friendship. The whimsical element should help show that it's more of a general treatment of this themes instead of a realistic depiction of true events in Harry Style's life. And I don't mean that he never experienced the aforementioned feelings, he said the album is about "being sad" (and sex), I just dread already some fans trying to tie whatever happens in the video to real life events and/or Harry's assumed state of mind in the past, present and future. I've seen some Larries already at work lol.

LU being a buzz song explains (finally) why it was never sent to radio, I guess? I still don't quite get why they planned out this era like they did, but I assume Adore You will get a much bigger push and a radio impact date. I wonder if this means there'll be another single and music video after the album is out?

HS1 thankfully got a push in listeners due to the new songs in November, so yes, it outstreamed IF and MoM and Zayn was always the "best" streamer of former 1D. But I looked at some numbers yesterday and considering how many songs IF and MoM has (18 & 27), HS1's 10 songs already outstreamed him in the past when it comes to average streams per song. Zayn has over 50 songs on spotify iirc, Harry only 14 at the moment. I'm sure once Harry has as many songs out as Zayn, things will look quite differently regarding streaming success and Harry's assumed "failure" in that area.

by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2019 8:20 PM

Harry will do BBC Live Lounge on 18 December!! Nice!

Oh I would have given a limb for Live Lounge in September, when I still had my wrong expectations for "HS2" lol. Now ... yeah.. I'm still looking forward to it, because I always enjoy him singing live, but not like back in September. Watermelon Sugar has somewhat grown on me, but I think I'm especially nostalgic for the 2017 Live Lounge because he did his awesome The Chain cover there for the first time (and of course sang Sign of the Times) and I just know that in comparison I won't like it as much. I guess he will sing Adore You, which seems to be more an electronic pop song. And chances are high he will cover a song that won't be my thing. Maybe Steve Lacy? I don't really know his music, but he interviewed him recently and said in May he loved his album. Any bets for which artist or song he will cover?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 3, 2019 5:02 AM

Does anyone know how many songs are usually in a set for those Capital FM Jingle Bell Balls?

by Anonymousreply 59December 3, 2019 5:05 AM

It depends on how much time they give him.

by Anonymousreply 60December 3, 2019 6:02 AM

R59 Last year they sang between 1 and 8 (Little Mix). I think it's going to be up to him how many he sings but I'll take a punt at 5 ( SOTT and Kiwi from HS1 & the 1st 3 songs from Fine Line)!

The marketing budget behind Adore You is insane and yet it's not the one Harry picked as one of his 2 favourites from the album, wasn't one singled out by Zane Lowe and doesn't appear to have been a favourite at the listening parties so far. It was also chosen as the 1st official single in the US but not the UK , where Lights Up was the 1st official single. So they clearly think this one will be a hit in the US market for some reason ( and given this completely over the top promo for Adore You I'm pretty sure Columbia are still measuring 'success' in financial terms and aren't using Harry's new version ie 'happiness'.!)

It will be interesting to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 61December 3, 2019 8:08 AM

Pedo thread

by Anonymousreply 62December 3, 2019 8:12 AM

[QUOTE] I just dread already some fans trying to tie whatever happens in the video to real life events and/or Harry's assumed state of mind.

Already happening. Yesterday, Liam talked to the Guardian about being suicidal in and after 1d, and the fandom likes pushing mental illness onto the men as that it makes them more relatable. So if Liam was suicidal and Zayn was and Louis was, the limited Directioner minds have decided H must have been too.

I'm sure if LU had charted higher on the Hot 100, they would have declared it a lead single. I read an List Party spoiler which said AY sounded like The Weeknd. I really hope not.

by Anonymousreply 63December 3, 2019 9:54 AM

Watermelon Sugar isn't a good song.

by Anonymousreply 64December 3, 2019 6:13 PM

R61 Those are some good points. Apparently Adore You must be the song that Columbia & Harry think has the most hit potential (along with Lights Up). Interestingly both songs were written in the last few weeks in the studio, after March 2019. Makes you wonder if he looked at the nearly finished album and then decided to add a few more mainstream songs to it.

I listened to the Zane Lowe interview again and this part was pretty interesting to me:

[quote]I was saying, that I was feeling a lot of pressure, because the last record wasn't a radio record. I felt a lot of pressure to be making these big songs. And I was like, I feel like this record has to be really big, so I feel like I need to make certain songs. You know, I have all these ideas about records, that I want to make and I want to make this record in 5 years and this record in 10 years... just these ideas for records, that I want to make. And we had this conversation and Tyler said to me: 'You just have to make the record you want to make right now.' That's it. There's no like 'Let me make sure this one's a commercial success, so I can make what I want later down the road". You just have to make the record you want to make right now.

At first I wasn't sure what he meant with "big songs", but apparently it's about commercial success considering that HS1 wasn't radio hit material. The fact that there was this pressure sounds to me like it might have been a wish coming from his record label or some strategic planning for future uncommercial albums (very interesting!). And right after Tyler said to him to not think about that, he wrote Cherry, which is neither a single, nor played at listening parties. I'm now quite curious about it.

With the above quote and the singles in mind I can imagine he tried to find the balance between his art and commercial appeal with Fine Line. And to "dress up" the hit singles in a way that's still interesting to him (e.g. with the brass ensemble and choir and all that), maybe that's what he meant with "having fun". I guess we'll find out, when we hear songs like Cherry, Falling and his fave Fine Line.

Having said that I'm still salty about his "tried too hard" comments about HS1 lol. Yes, boyo, thankfully you tried hard, because it was a really nice record.

by Anonymousreply 65December 3, 2019 9:16 PM

R63 I wonder if fans just revel in the mental illness stuff because it's relatable and makes them feel needed ("Harry said we make him feel safe") or if they truly don't get art and symbolism. In the end we all have no idea if Harry was/is/will be depressed or suicidal or anything else. I guess he has dealt with melancholy and feelings that are a theme in the video, because who hasn't felt lonely or hopeless at times. But the whole drama, because they see a music video as an autobiographical documentary... I hope this won't lead to peak Larrie/Louie behavior, where they treat an adult man like a poor victimised little baby that needs to be protected from evil management, employees, partners, interviewers etc. and attack everyone they perceive as threat.

I read that spoiler about Adore You too, they also said a bit like Daft Punk, right? Oh dear.. I expect it's another song with mostly falsetto and vocal effects, like Lights Up, and a funky groove. We seem to be in the soul funk influenced era. Personally I'd prefer something like Muse, if he wants to mix things up with synths and eletronic sounds, but it's not like he asks me.

by Anonymousreply 66December 3, 2019 9:52 PM

Just wanted to add: It might be worth to point out that the music video for Muse's awesome The Dark Side from early 2018 (they have also performed that song on Jools Holland in November 2018) has 14 million views and the rather mediocre Weeknd feat. Daft Punk collab from 2017 has 634 million views. So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 67December 3, 2019 10:12 PM

Harry's on sale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 4, 2019 2:56 AM

R68 and journos have started receiving 'Eroda' tshirts from Columbia today for promo, which will no doubt be sold as 'limited edition for a limited time' in addition to the 'Lights Up New Song From Harry Styles Tshirt' ( which turned out not to be the official new song in the US), the Fine Line Tshirt, the Love on Tour Tshirt, the Adore You Tshirt and the tpwk Hoodie ....being sold before we even get the album and a tour that is months away ( but coveniently in time for Christmas). We've got alot of tour bundles this time, ticket prices have risen significantly for the same arenas ( only vip was offered for standing at £180 here in th uk) and he is playing in the round this time so more seats to sell, endless different colour limited edition vinyls etc. I know every artist does it but it just seems much more of a money grab from Harry's team this time around. I'm assuming because they didn't make the money they expected to the first time round.

Going back to the Eroda campaign though, there is going to be alot of eggs on faces if this new single flops because I will say it again this campaign must have cost a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 69December 4, 2019 8:29 AM

A snippet from the Adore You video is out. Check HSHQ on Twitter. Autotune and R & B.

He has an 80m deal so I'm not surprised he has a huge marketing budget.

by Anonymousreply 70December 4, 2019 12:55 PM

R69 Well, nobody is forced to buy any of this. If you get many different options for merch in different designs, at least you can choose something that you find nice, I guess. And I'm not exactly surprised that the music industry tries to sell me as much as they can lol. Harry is on a major label and a lot of money is made from merch and touring these days, so of course there's aggressive marketing. But as I said, it's a free market, they might offer you something, you don't have to buy it.

Who knows if Adore You will be a hit, but from that snippet it's the contrary of Sign of the Times in terms of radio friendliness. Who would have thought in 2017 or even back in 2015 when it became clear that they'll split and might do solo stuff, that in 2019 even Niall (of all people) might have a less radio friendly lead single than Harry. Wild.

by Anonymousreply 71December 4, 2019 1:14 PM

R70 I don't hear that much autotune, in fact I like that you can hear his actual voice contrary to Lights Up. It sounds mostly influenced by 80s pop to me.

by Anonymousreply 72December 4, 2019 1:21 PM

Merch is a big money maker these days - it has a really high profit margin. It is like drinks at a restaurant. They can make these t shirts for pennies and then charge big bucks. Tours are super expensive to put on and to move from city to city so the profit margin likely isn't as high on tickets.

by Anonymousreply 73December 4, 2019 1:44 PM

I guess it's time to buy some popcorn and watch the commencing stan wars, since on Friday not only Adore You is coming out, but also Liam's first album LP1 and Niall's new single Put A Little Love On Me. Will Liam fans bash Niall as well for overshadowing "Liam's big day"? Or will Niall fans join forces with Liam fans to collectively drag Harry for overshadowing them both? Or will Harry fans blame Niall for releasing a single on the same day as Adore You?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 4, 2019 6:25 PM

It seems like a really bad way to do things.

by Anonymousreply 75December 5, 2019 5:42 AM

Tomorrow will be interesting!

In the meantime Ron Perry CEO and Chairman of Columbia Records has posted a snippet of a Daily Telegraph ( UK broadsheet) article on insta story about the 'Eroda' campaign and circled the following quote:

“Styles is closing out the 2010s with the greatest album campaign we’ve seen so far' and has tagged his team at Columbia Records. Fans found a link back to Columbia Records promo team when they were investigating the Eroda campign as well so the whole thing seems to have been run by Columbia ( only interesting because I wondered if it was a label thing or Harry/Azoff/ management).

R65 I think that Columbia heard the album and told Harry that he needed a couple of radio friendly songs which is why Lights Up and Adore You were written seemingly last minute and after Liam Gallagher had heard the album in March. It just feels as though they're taking a bit more control over everything this time around.

by Anonymousreply 76December 5, 2019 8:37 AM

R76 Yes, this makes sense, it fits with both lead singles having been written in the last week of recording. Adore You and TPWK (which was also written in the last week) were also co-written with the new female songwriters, who have done mostly pop before (Selena Gomez, Halsey, Zara Larsson, Mark Ronson etc.). So I can imagine Columbia's A&R recommended them to write the commercial hits for Fine Line.

Is it true that Taylor Swift will release something as well at midnight? That's... unfortunate. They really put effort in the campaign and apparently really wanted Adore You to be a hit, but I doubt Harry will reach #1 with Taylor releasing. This would mean that Sign of the Times would remain Harry's most successful single. I'm not mad tbh, even though I wish him success of course. But SOTT is not comparable to whatever Adore You will sound like tbh.

by Anonymousreply 77December 5, 2019 5:24 PM

This thread stinks of dirty, dirty cunts

by Anonymousreply 78December 5, 2019 5:26 PM

Here's a preview of the Fine Line vinyl. I have to say I'm tempted to get the coke bottle green limited edition, because I really like fancy vinyl. But so far I've resisted and haven't pre-ordered anything, because obviously it's a very different album and I'm not sure I'll be into it. The "not sure" thing seems to be my main mood this era. I always appreciate the thought and artistic intent Harry (or his team) puts into the whole design and artwork of an era and I usually really like Tim Walker's work and was thrilled when we found out he did the photography for Fine Line. I'm also the last person to complain about nudity if it's done nicely. But the photography and poster looks just weird to me? I get the artistic meaning, there's what looks like an open heart and then there's Harry all naked and vulnerable instead of sexy, in his Descent from the Cross pose. But it just doesn't look very appealing to me.

To take this very handsome, charismatic young man and put him in unflattering, weird clothes, colours, poses and photos for the sake of making it look artsy seems to be the main goal in the past 1-2 years. And I really don't think that's necessary to make interesting art with a deeper meaning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 5, 2019 5:47 PM

Also, is the smiley face now a new pop culture thing? He seems very into it (the nails, the sticker on his suitcase, some shirts) and it's also all over "spacey" Kacey Musgraves' merch. I'm not sure it's the intention, but it just reminds me of 90s raves and acid/mdma.

by Anonymousreply 80December 5, 2019 6:00 PM

R77 Taylor Swift is releasing a Christmas song and and video at midnight tonight.

by Anonymousreply 81December 5, 2019 6:21 PM

Okay, I take the thing about the Christ pose poster back, the more I look at it, the more I like it - actually way more so than the other photo with the hat. This one and the cover photo are the best ones imho. The white and purple outfit shots are still too weird for me. But the nude shot apparently made the Larries or some other weird fans mad? Bonus points for that.

by Anonymousreply 82December 5, 2019 8:29 PM

R79. Harry is known for loving to be nude. During the 1D era, they often talked about how he was always naked in the house during X factor and would spend as much time naked as possible. Harry being nude was well known by his fan base.

by Anonymousreply 83December 5, 2019 8:35 PM

R83 Yes, I know - as I said, I never had any issues with the nudity at all. It's both very him and also aesthetically pleasing for me lol.

I just think the concept of the photos doesn't really take advantage of Harry's handsomeness - the whole lime green background in combination with white and that vivid purple, the poses, the fisheye lens - it has this weird funhouse/mirror cabinet vibe, that can be interesting, but in combination with the wide trousers and high heels of this era, it all makes me inevitably think of a clown. And the photo with the pink trousers and the black hat is just boring. But I guess they did it, because it fits the mushroom theme.

by Anonymousreply 84December 5, 2019 8:55 PM

Liam was naked now Harry is naked.

by Anonymousreply 85December 5, 2019 9:02 PM

Liam's album LP1 is now out in the UK - apparently they release it in every country at midnight. I'm listening to it right now, but I can't say much, because it's not really my music and I don't even know which were already singles and which ones are new lol. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 86December 5, 2019 11:13 PM

I think Harry's PR team has lost their damn minds and are starting to look desperate to sell crap.

by Anonymousreply 87December 5, 2019 11:26 PM

R87 Why exactly? Because of the nude pose on the poster?

by Anonymousreply 88December 5, 2019 11:35 PM

R88 It all seems like too much. Harry's first album was good, sold well and the tour was successful. But, this time everything is different. First we have no promo for Llights Up and now we are bombarded with crap promo. The record company must want huge sales.

SMH at the nude poster. Decide who you want to be Harry.

by Anonymousreply 89December 6, 2019 3:29 AM

R89 Yes, the (lack of traditional) promo for Lights Up was confusing and the website, even though harmless, not really my thing. Personally I liked the Eroda thing, I find that kind of mystery and world building interesting - even though the fans took it of course very far with all the crackpot theories and fake accounts (and believing every fake account was the real deal). But I kept mostly away from that. What I liked about Eroda as well is that you could fairly easily ignore it and just wait for the song, if it's not something you like. It's not like Harry was suddenly everywhere and you got bombarded with him and the Eroda stuff.

As I said, I don't have a problem with the nudity. It's a very artistic shot (no matter if you think it's good or bad art lol) and fits the meaning. I also don't think it's that weird or different for Harry. As R83 said, Harry never had a problem with being nude and has done a ton of semi-dressed or nearly nude shots in the past (most recently probably Rolling Stone), so I don't see how he suddenly decides to be someone new with that photo?

My biggest problem with this era so far is the fashion (less important) and his music (very important). As you said: His first album was good. Very good to me and extremely promising. His record label might breathe down his neck in regards to sales, which sucks, but in the end I as fan am stuck with the result, no matter what happens behind the scenes. And it's underwhelming to have such a debut album and now this (so far). I just listened to Adore You and it's... okay, I guess. But not great imho. It's what I imagine an alternate grown up 1D song could have sounded like, if Zayn would have been allowed to co-write something.

by Anonymousreply 90December 6, 2019 4:32 AM

I just listened to the new single. Not impressed.

by Anonymousreply 91December 6, 2019 4:34 AM

I love "Adore You" ... Damn Harry, you've got me putting my Frau hands in the air and I'm waving them like I just don't care!

by Anonymousreply 92December 6, 2019 4:43 AM

Yeah, I actually expected at least a little bit less conventional (don't ask me why) and it's fairly repetitive in the end. His voice sounds more like himself than in Lights Up (e.g. more like the "I gotta get better" part of Meet Me in the Hallway), but I think the song doesn't give it a good setting to really get emotional, if that makes sense. It sounds like it's difficult to sing, but despite that the song hasn't that much of an impact imho.

by Anonymousreply 93December 6, 2019 4:46 AM

Maybe it will grow on me but I'm not that impressed with a first listening. Was it insane or brilliant to release a summer tune at Christmas?

by Anonymousreply 94December 6, 2019 4:50 AM

R94 Probably not the best idea. It's very repetitive.

by Anonymousreply 95December 6, 2019 5:09 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 6, 2019 5:10 AM

Damn DL, you didn't have to delete the whole post only due to the linked Independent review of Fine Line, ugh. Very frustrating.

R94 All his songs so far were summer tunes. I don't think it makes that much of a difference tbh. It's still sunny and hot in large parts of the world and in the US for example a summer hit like Señorita is still in the Billboard top 10 - in December and after people should already be fed up with it.

The Independent review of the whole album is quite positive, the writer gave it 4/5 stars and likes it better than HS1. Funnily enough - or rather sadly enough - the only song she doesn't like is She, which seems to be the only whatsoever rock leaning thing on that album. It seems pretty telling to me, I fully expect critics to like Fine Line better than HS1, because they have no taste lol. No, but also because the funk & soul influences are very en vogue right now and I think for HS1 there was still a LOT of boy band stigma attached to Harry, especially since his debut album sounded so different than 1D and very "traditional" instead of the younger, more contemporary pop they probably expected.

He's now way more established as solo artist, less seen as "that guy from a boy band" by both critics and the general public. I therefore expect Fine Line to be more successful with critics and probably as successful with album & tour sales. I guess due to this positive response Harry will then continue with this kind of music, earn tons of money, and never return to the HS1 sound or another, heavier rock sound. What a waste...

by Anonymousreply 97December 6, 2019 5:20 AM

Just looked it up, HS1 got only 3/5 stars from the Independent (different reviewer though).

by Anonymousreply 98December 6, 2019 5:24 AM

US Magazine review is glowing:

[quote]If Harry Styles raised the bar with his superb self-titled solo debut in 2017, then his sophomore album takes the bar, loads it into a rocket and shoots it up to the moon. [...] one of the most forward-thinking, creative individuals in the music industry today

So like I said, the critics gobble it up and I mean, maybe the other songs are such amazing material, that the hyperbole is warranted.

Cherry apparently has "soft and slightly distorted" vocals as well, they really love to mess with his naturally great voice on this album. Makes me wonder what's up with that. But they also described Adore You to have a "stomping rock rhythm" and idk, I have a different definition for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 6, 2019 5:36 AM

Reviews won't mean anything if it doesn't sell well.

by Anonymousreply 100December 6, 2019 5:59 AM

R100 That's very true. There are many great reviews out there of albums that flopped.

But I doubt it won't sell well. Not only due to the hype and star power of Harry (and in that regard good reviews might help too) and the way he interacts more with his core fan base in this era, but I can also imagine the lead single Adore You will be a hit. Which might boost album sales. The more I listen to Adore You, the more it sounds to me like a mixture between a late 1D song and The Weeknd (plus funky guitar solo), therefore combining two sounds that have proven to be very successful.

by Anonymousreply 101December 6, 2019 6:22 AM

Very interesting way to promote this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 6, 2019 6:26 AM

This is getting silly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 6, 2019 6:32 AM

R103 This is going to be so funny! Confront Harry with all his ex girlfriends, please. Taylor next! No, I actually think they'll be quite normal with each other, they seemed to stay friends and also organised/hosted the Met Gala after party together in May. But the fans' miffed to downright outraged reactions so far were great comedy. Also really looking forward to all the memes this will gives us lol.

by Anonymousreply 104December 6, 2019 6:40 AM

The real girlfriends or the pretend girlfriends ?

by Anonymousreply 105December 6, 2019 6:54 AM

... Why shouldn't he have slept with Kendall? She has a great body and (by now) also a very pretty face. He was a 21 year old guy with obviously a very healthy libido, like most 21 year old guys. It might have been more of a physical thing and not exactly the love story of the century, we don't know, but I see no real reason why they'd have to just pretend having sex with each other.

by Anonymousreply 106December 6, 2019 7:11 AM

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

by Anonymousreply 107December 6, 2019 7:15 AM

For me it's just ok. but definitely not lead single material after all this hype. It's very repetitive again, which is a gripe I have with alot of his songs. Lightweight, breezy, middle of the road is my input.

by Anonymousreply 108December 6, 2019 8:19 AM

R108 You know, I think there are some amazing songs that are very repetitive, but it doesn't matter, because they are quite meditative or hypnotic. Repetition can be a powerful tool in songwriting, I think, but usually those songs are just very good songs. And I think it works better with songs that aren't very lightweight or radio friendly. I mean, right now especially Bauhaus' Bela Lugosi's Dead comes to my mind, which is probably one of the radio unfriendliest songs I know. It has an extremely repetitive bassline & drums throughout the nearly 10 minutes of the song and the lyrics are mostly the words of the title lol. Still one of my favourites, but of course not in any way comparable to the music Harry makes (or ever made) - as you say, if it's a rather conventional, breezy pop song the repetitiveness can grate.

by Anonymousreply 109December 6, 2019 8:46 AM

So we currently have LGBT Harries claiming Adore You for the opening line 'Walk in your rainbow Paradise' and poc Harries claiming Adore You for the line 'Your wonder under summer sky Brown skin and lemon over ice' ( which I'm pretty sure means someone who's tanned from the sun but never mind). And there are tweets liked by 1k+ people proclaiming that poc Harries have at last been recognised by Harry and that they now feel validated. It would be funny if it wasn't so worrying .

by Anonymousreply 110December 6, 2019 9:21 AM

R110 It's frighteningly predictable. For a lot of them Harry seems to be mostly a template for validation or fantasies - a handsome, extremely popular star giving them a feeling of acknowledgement. It has the same energy as the relentless begging for a twitter follow or answer. It seems that being a fan is more about themselves than about the person they stan. Or their music.

I think Harry is actually quite aware of this. In a way putting an album out with such unmistakably specific lyrics about an ex girlfriend was a bold move, since it prevents the fans from inserting themselves or whoever else they want into the lyrics (a male lover for example - a lot of them hoped for their "bisexual anthem" Medicine on the album or that Fine Line means an exploration of queer sexuality/gender identity). I feel some of the promo this era is a bit "damage control" in that regard, giving the fans other quotes and things to be delighted about apart from the lyrics they might have wanted.

Regarding Adore You I have no real opinion on what he meant with the lyrics tbh. I do think the song is about a woman, because it seems to me more likely with the "strawberry lipstick" line and maybe he wrote about a POC, maybe not. In the end I don't think the lyrics are that deep in general and likely intentionally open to interpretation.

by Anonymousreply 111December 6, 2019 10:13 AM

It's true. Harry's lyrics aren't that deep, and really don't make a lot of sense. On purpose.

by Anonymousreply 112December 6, 2019 10:27 AM

" I do think the song is about a woman, because it seems to me more likely with the "strawberry lipstick" line"

We can't really go there since Harry has worn it.

by Anonymousreply 113December 6, 2019 10:29 AM

Liam's debut album LP1 is out today and is being savaged by the critics. The Guardian's Laura Snapes gave it 1* and said Liam comes across like a 'sexual piranha' in the lyrics. US Weekly, NME, the Times and Independent gave it 2*s, with the latter calling Liam a 'singing six pack' and his many collabs 'rental cars'.

His ego is quite fragile so this will upset him and understandably so. To pour salt into the wound, Harry already has 4* reviews from the Independent, US Weekly and Metro despite Fine Line not being released until next Friday. Rolling Stone listed it at their 23 in their top 100 albums of 2019.

by Anonymousreply 114December 6, 2019 10:44 AM

[QUOTE] I mean, right now especially Bauhaus' Bela Lugosi's Dead comes to my mind, which is probably one of the radio unfriendliest songs I know.

Another Bauhaus fan! I love Bela and have very happy memories of dancing to it at alternative/goth clubs like The Slimelight and Friday night at the Camden Electric Ballroom. Kick in the Eye is also great to do a stomping dance to, along with The Cutter by Echo and the Bunnymen and Joy Division's Transmission.

[QUOTE] Reviews don't translate to good sales.

The preorders were huge. It's going to debut at #2 in the UK after Stormzy and maybe #1 in the US.

by Anonymousreply 115December 6, 2019 10:59 AM

POCs trying to claim 'brown skin' are guilty of epic reaching. It's about Camille Rowe, who loves sunbathing.

Larries are fuming about the Hendall reunion. The chemistry between those two was off the scale at the Met Gala.

by Anonymousreply 116December 6, 2019 11:10 AM

R111 He put out songs with specific heterosexual lyrics on the last album though eg Carolina , but he also voluntarily included the non album track 'Medicine' at his gigs which I know you think is about drugs but which to me ( and the press) is 100% about men and BJs. So you can't blame LGBT fans for lauding it as their anthem. And then again he adds fuel to the rumours by using the words 'rainbow paradise' in the opening line off of the 1st official single in the US. I mean I personally am convinced he's not straight so I really don't think 'damage control' is ever at play and I also actually believe he couldn't care less about the 'Larry' fantasy ...not because I think it's true but because I don't think it worries him and because it clearly winds Louis up and I do think the 2 of them had a big bust up at some point. So for me Adore You and pretty much any song with non specific lyrics off of both HS1 and this album could be about a man or a woman and he has done pretty much everything to promote that way of looking at it in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 117December 6, 2019 11:20 AM

R112 That's not what I said. I think he has some good lyrics, not mind blowing masterpieces, but good, nice lyrics befitting the songs. But specifically in this case Adore You is a lightweight, catchy summer tune with equally lightweight, catchy summer tune lyrics. They're supposed to make you feel good, not to be deep, introspective lyrics with many layers of meaning.

R114 I feel quite bad for Liam, the reviews are scathing so far. I hope he'll be okay, his interviews recently were rather concerning and now people slagging off his debut album, it's a bit much right now. On the other hand lyrics like "meet me in the parking lot, yeah, might be a bad idea, I'll probably do your ass in the car" are just... no words, really.

R115 Oh yes, late 70s/early 80s post-punk was quite something! I have to be in the right mood for it, but they produced some great tunes back then.

by Anonymousreply 118December 6, 2019 11:34 AM

I wish Harry would get rid of Gucci. He's been with them for a long time and it's time he moves on. Enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 119December 6, 2019 11:47 AM

R117 Oh I do think that line in Medicine is - as it says - about men and women, just that the song is far less clear cut in meaning (and to me lyrics like "rest it on your fingertips" don't really sound like a BJ, but it's okay if we interpret them differently) and I think that in general the bisexual anthem quality is a tad overrated by fans & the press compared to bisexual anthems by other artists. But of course I understand why it's a song for his LGBT fans and don't blame them. It's other songs where I think they are reaching, because the rest of the lyrics imply a very different meaning imho, like Sweet Creature for example, but they're still inserting themselves or their fantasies. Or in songs that might have all kinds of meanings (like Lights Up), but get automatically and aggressively claimed as something specific by certain fans, which I find very limiting.

The "damage control" was not meant regarding his sexuality, but regarding the Camille theme of the album (which is kind of undeniable, he even put her bum tattoo on the back of the album) and the clear references in songs like Cherry. Maybe not all love songs on Fine Line are about this relationship, but at least a good portion is. Many fans, no matter if LGBT or not, don't really want to hear songs about her/the relationship, just like many hated the idea of Harry writing about Kendall. Only this time the songs seem lyrically way more specific, clear, "honest" as he likes to say and therefore harder to ignore. They don't offer the fans much for personal identification/meaning compared to songs with more vague lyrics. And I think the fact that he makes an effort to speak and appeal to his fans in this era with quotes like the "safe place" stuff, the twitter presence, the dykwya website, personal attendance of listening parties etc., might go a long way in smoothing some ruffled feathers and counterbalance the possibly "upsetting" Camille lyrics.

I don't know about Harry's sexuality, it's not like I'm there when he's doing the deed. I also don't really care that much tbh. Shortly after I discovered him and his music it was interesting to think about, especially since speculation about his sexuality started pretty much from the beginning of 1D, but by now I think there are more interesting things and I'm a bit tired of the huge fixation, sometimes obsession, people have with where he puts his dick. Whatever he does with it, I hope he has a good time. All I know is that his partners so far (that we know of) have been female, so no matter if he's bi/pan/mostly straight/heteroromantic/whatever, he's at least into women.

by Anonymousreply 120December 6, 2019 12:50 PM

R119 He's been wearing a lot more Marni and Bode recently. Not sure if that's much better, it's still rather grandfatherly. But I'm quite okay with the trousers, belt & shoes he wore for the Graham Norton Show tonight! Much better than the huge, extremely high waisted lavender trousers and white heels from Jools Holland.

I'd really like to see him styled more often by someone other than Harry Lambert, if only to see what other stylists would come up with. But that doesn't happen because Lambert styles him even for magazine shoots instead of the magazine's stylist.

by Anonymousreply 121December 6, 2019 12:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!