Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is Joan Jett shunned here?

This is the place for celeb discussion and what have you.

Many here have experiences with celebs.

Many here are celebs themselves.

And threads on this site are usually loaded with interesting stories and whatnot, about personal experiences with the person, etc.

But whenever Joan Jett's name comes up here, it seems she gets more troll comments than is the norm- even by DL standards.

What gives?! It makes me sick!! It's not like she kicked you in the shins or something!!

Can't you people just appreciate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 29, 2019 2:45 PM

But does she wear a wig? Because we haven't discussed that sufficiently yet.

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2019 4:05 AM

It is so weird to troll on a woman who is such a friend to all the underdogs- like you dogs here!

It's like this is highschool, and you won't let her sit at the "cool kids" table. Just shows how whack people can be.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2019 4:09 AM

OP and R2 = Joan Jett

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2019 4:10 AM

r3- And so what if I am?!

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2019 4:11 AM

And, what about Janeane Garofalo? Wig? Hairpiece? Extensions? DL needs to know!

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2019 4:14 AM

*Eyeroll*

See what I mean?! Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2019 4:15 AM

What about Diana Ross? Does Joan Jett know Diana Ross?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2019 4:20 AM

r7- You're such a bore.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2019 4:28 AM

You know, she was booed off stage while opening for The Police at an all-day fest at Comiskey Park in 1983 - say what you will about Chicago in general - I mean they did blow up disco records in the very same venue - but she has always been a hard sell, even to the mainstream, even despite I Love Rock and Roll. And I Hate Myself For Loving You and a not shity cover of Crimson and Clover and a very not shity cover of Do You Want To Touch (Oh Yeah).....

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2019 4:39 AM

r9- Back in the day, when a band called Lungfish were opening for her, she actually warned all her fans that "I will personally throw out anyone who yells for the Blackhearts while they are on." I guess it was to be expected back then that opening bands got treated horribly.

I'm surprised people can be that rude, and still be adults.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2019 4:46 AM

Because the goddess that is Chrissy Hynde exists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2019 5:17 AM

One of the most electrifying experiences of my life: a drag queen who was ON FIRE lip-synching "I Hate Myself for Loving You." I'm here with love for you, Joan.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2019 5:20 AM

She's shunned because she's shit.

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2019 5:24 AM

Seriously though, there was something about her that always came across as trying to hard, and not in a desperate for fame kind of way that might be forgivable. No, it was more like she knew she was less than adequate and thought she could make up for it by working harder. But I think people really saw how hollow and commercial she was and just rejected her. There was nothing about her that was original or unique and the sooner she slips into complete obscurity the better.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2019 5:33 AM

So sweet, r12. Thank you for sharing!

"Hate Myself..." is one of her originals, and while she may be most well-known for her cover of "I Love Rock n' Roll", the former is actually her most commercially successful song by some accounts- even being adapted for Sunday Night Football.

r14- The sooner you get some manners, the better!

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2019 5:45 AM

R3 You have there perfect username for wig discussion.

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2019 6:12 AM

Something I've noticed: Even when it seems like people are being nice here, it is often just an insult in disguise (the lowest of the low).

You people are strange.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2019 6:17 AM

She's not nice. She's extremely conceited even for a famous person. She refused to come out during a time when it would have made a big difference if she had. And actually threatened people who suggested that she might be gay. And she is for the most part fabulously untalented.

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2019 6:24 AM

r18- Tell me how she threatened people who suggested she might be gay?

Also, how do you know this?

Also, if you don't know her but are saying she's conceited just for not coming out, then you're the one who's "not nice".

by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2019 6:28 AM

And another thing, r18- you must be lying about the "threatened people who suggested she might be gay" thing. Cause guess what?! Here's a list of well-known/famous people who have suggested (or downright declared) she might be gay:

1. Danny Bonaduci of "The Partridge Family"

2. Boots Electric of Eagles of Death Metal

3. Danny "Furious" o'Brian of The Avengers

4. Kira Roessler of the band Black Flag

5. Cherie Currie of The Runaways

6. Steven Tyler of Arrowsmith

And the list goes on... And guess what?! None of them have been threatened, and most still love her dearly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2019 6:40 AM

Then there's this:

Why is Joan Jett shunned here? But whenever Joan Jett's name comes up here, it seems she gets more troll comments than is the norm- even by DL standards. (11/26/2019)

Joan Jett Discus this underrated rocker. (11/22/2019)

The NEW Joan Jett thread! Because Datalounge has decided to screw up their search feature, making old threads either locked or hard to find, here's the new Joan Jett thread! (11/20/2019)

Does Joan Jett wear a wig? Somebody on here said she did on a couple threads. (10/24/2019)

by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2019 8:36 AM

r21- Do you have a point?

Each of t hose threads have gotten trolled, and there are no interesting tidbits about knowing her or anything (which is the whole point of threads like those)!

It's like as soon as someone starts a thread on her, crickets! But, if it were about some obscure country singer or a B-grade movie, the thread is hoping with traffic!!

So, she's definitely shunned here- and for no good reason.

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2019 8:45 AM

‘Hate Myself’ is awesome but as someone else noted, she’s hollow, commercial. Inauthentic. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2019 8:48 AM

Didn’t she treat Jackie Fuchs horribly?

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2019 8:53 AM

"Hallow" is a matter of opinion. If you prefer the likes of Joni Mitchell, then yeah, Joan Jett's simple songs will seem "hallow" to you, r23. But, it boils down to taste. Stating that she's "commercial" is a matter of inaccuracy, because she's an indie artist, so by virtue of that, she is the very opposite of commercial. However, she's an indie artist who has become an icon, and that causes her to be incorrectly put into the commercial category, when she's not. Saying that she's "inauthentic" is also incorrect, because she's done things her way, the only way, for over 40 years. You don't get more "authentic" than that! And if you think she's "boring" then go listen to Joni Mitchell, but don't take your lack of rock taste out on Joan!

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2019 8:59 AM

r24- No, she didn't. They were all strung out at that time, as they all have admitted. So, how can Jackie suddenly claim a crystal clear memory, almost 40 years later? It doesn't add up.

Joan said she doesn't remember it the way Jackie alleges, and I have every reason to take her word for it.

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2019 9:03 AM

OP, why do you do this? Do you think we're all suddenly going to see the error of our ways and start to worship her like you?

We don't like her as much as you do. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2019 9:10 AM

I would just like the "she's bald!", "she does heroin", "she's not nice" lies to stop! Whenever her name is mentioned, those lies pop up.

Instead of those lies, how about start posting true stuff, like how it was to meet her, or if you saw her at a restaurant one day, got her autograph, had a selfie taken with her, talked to her, or something like that. You know, standard DL fodder! How is that too much to ask?

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2019 9:17 AM

R16 I know, what can I say? The man’s hairline is an enigma.

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2019 9:20 AM

R29 Try this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2019 9:22 AM

Oh boy, here we go again...

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2019 9:24 AM

R22, Very politely, DL, in general, doesn't care for frequently repeated threads. I post on several recurring threads, and I'm perfectly aware of the trolling on some of them. I just block those posters, and half the posts on the threads disappear, and the threads become much more compact and easy to read. I didn't post anything mean or hateful about her, but feel free to put me on ignore. But starting a new thread about the same person every couple days isn't accomplishing what you're setting out to accomplish, apparently. We already have dozens of threads about Shawn Mendes and Connor Jessup and other such people, and I never even open the threads. I'm a paying member, so I never run into the paywalls other people complain about.

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2019 9:26 AM

r32- With all due respect, this thread is addressing a very specific aspect of its subject that hadn't been brought up before. So technically, it's not a repeating thread.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2019 9:29 AM

F&F OP

by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2019 9:31 AM

And this very insane thread won't even allow posts about Joan to be taken seriously- which is crazy, since the title of the thread is "Divas Datalounge doesn't like"- and the OP keeps saying shady things like "Okay, lets get back on topic" and "Stop derailing the thread" every time a conversation about Joan takes place. What's with that?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2019 9:35 AM

R26

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2019 9:47 AM

R33, You asked a specific question, and I attempted to answer. I don't think Joan is hated or shunned by DL. I just don't think there's a groundswell of interest in her, either. I certainly have nothing against her. I've started threads that have only gotten a few responses, and I just move on and accept that other people here don't share my fascination.

by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2019 9:52 AM

^ Troll alert at r36!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2019 9:56 AM

[quote]You asked a specific question, and I attempted to answer. I don't think Joan is hated or shunned by DL. I just don't think there's a groundswell of interest in her, either. I certainly have nothing against her. I've started threads that have only gotten a few responses, and I just move on and accept that other people here don't share my fascination.

r37- Fair enough, but it's not just about the lack of interest. The main issue is the incessant lies that pop up over and over. Sure, there is trolling in all threads, but usually, there's a balance.

And these things Joan is being accused of by these liars (i.e. "threatening people, heroin, meanness, baldness, etc) need to be taken to task. It's that simple.

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2019 10:09 AM

[R19} To cite just one example, she - through her manager - threatened not to perform at St. Louis Pride one year if they mentioned her being gay. First-hand knowledge from a festival producer, thanks.

I didn't say she was conceited for not coming out. That doesn't even make sense.

Etc.

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2019 8:25 PM

[quote]she’s hollow, commercial. Inauthentic. Boring.

Unlike all the deep, authentic, interesting pop music performers who, by the way, are totally uncommercial and don't care if their songs sell or if they get lucrative contracts? Perhaps we could review the list of Billboard's top singles for 1982 and identify all the performers who are truly authentic.

I don't care about Joan Jett one way or the other but people who are snobbish about pop music are pretentious and boring.

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2019 9:23 PM

r40, Okay, well then if you didn't say she's conceited for not coming out, then why, pray tell, did you say it? If you don't know her, aren't a fan, and don't follow her, then how could you know her personality?!

And here's an idea: If what you said about her threatening not to perform at St. Louis Pride is true, then perhaps it's because THEY were putting pressure on her, to do something that she didn't want to do? Did you ever think of that?! Right or wrong, Joan is a very stubborn person, who does not give in to demands. She does not like being bossed around. So, if she felt like the event coordinators had an agenda or were trying to pressure her, then that is why she reacted that way. It doesn't make her wrong or bad, it just means if you want to get anywhere with her, DON'T pressure her.

by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2019 9:36 PM

...And her threatening not to perform IS NOT the same as what you said before (that she threatened actual people). Please don't exaggerate. If she really is as awful as you say, you wouldn't have to exaggerate!

Also, a little bit of human understanding would go a long way for you, FYI.

by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2019 9:43 PM

R43 What do you hope to achieve by this thread and your constant rebuttals? Do you think we're all suddenly going to fall in love with her after reading your boring replies saying the same thing over and over again? Get a hobby, you pointless dullard.

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2019 9:47 PM

I'm Joan Jett, on the edge of my seat, laughing at some of the crazy people on this thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 28, 2019 9:51 PM

[quote]What do you hope to achieve by this thread and your constant rebuttals? Do you think we're all suddenly going to fall in love with her after reading your boring replies saying the same thing over and over again? Get a hobby, you pointless dullard.

r44- What do I hope to achieve? Well, I hope to expose you all as liars and idiots, for one (which I think I have done). And on that note, I hope to get to the TRUTH, which I am. So, it's time well-spent to me. I am perfectly happy setting the record straight. But, if this is a wast of time to YOU, then you're free to GET LOST.

Bye!

by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2019 9:57 PM

R41 Yes, I called her hollow and commercial because she has always presented herself as a true rock and roller. If you want us to evaluate her as a pop act than that is entirely different and you need to get her to admit to that.

by Anonymousreply 47November 28, 2019 10:14 PM

I was too young to have seen her when she performed in my hometown at the time, during the early years of her career, but would have in a heart beat if I could have.

I love her joining the Foo's in this vid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 28, 2019 10:25 PM

Rock stars can be on the Pop carts sometimes too, R47! Rock stars can be Pop stars too. They are not always mutually exclusive. Even Joan Jett makes the makes the mistake of thinking they are two different worlds, and they aren't. Music is music, and at some point, all genres are connected. Having said that, you're wrong about her not being a true rock n' roller. She is.

by Anonymousreply 49November 28, 2019 10:25 PM

r48- That was a great gig for Joan. She and Dave Grohl are real buddies.

r47- Dave Grohl is a true rock n' roller. And Joan Jett is one of his musical heroes. So, that should tell you something! She IS rock n' roll- even if that doesn't fit your argument.

by Anonymousreply 50November 28, 2019 10:44 PM

She was like the Avril Lavigne of the 80s. She made bland, forgettable music that she seemed convinced was rock but everyone else thought was pop fluff. And like Avril, she seemed to think she was the shit. No, she's just shit.

by Anonymousreply 51November 28, 2019 11:42 PM

Wow, r51!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2019 12:30 AM

I appreciate Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. I have four of their albums, I even have her cover of the Mary Tyler Moore theme.

by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2019 12:33 AM

R52, that cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2019 1:20 AM

I've been trying to figure out who HelloWorld reminds me of, and it finally came to me: that Friends rerun I saw recently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2019 2:42 AM

[QUOTE] Seriously though, there was something about her that always came across as trying to hard, and not in a desperate for fame kind of way that might be forgivable. No, it was more like she knew she was less than adequate and thought she could make up for it by working harder.

You've got her confused with Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 56November 29, 2019 9:49 AM

Joan just makes me so proud! She's such a good friend to those close to her and is always there when her pals are in-need.

People just want to talk about so-n-so's music is better than Joan's, so-n-so is more accomplished, but you know what? It's not all about business. There's more to life than that, and Joan just has a beautiful heart. Maybe you all haven't taken the time to really see it, but I have, and I love it so much!

by Anonymousreply 57November 29, 2019 2:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!