Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michael J. Pollard is dead to me.

I always liked this offbeat character actor even before his Oscar-nominated breakout role in Bonnie & Clyde. He was once married to DL fave Beth Howland (Vera on "Alice") and is survived by their daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2019 4:11 AM

That's a good obituary; thanks for posting. Even Miss Dunaway has kind words for Pollard in her memoir.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2019 12:17 AM

Lovey-dovey, bonk bonk!

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2019 12:18 AM

Aww, me too, OP. Great actor.

He would never have had a high-profile career today. Hollywood no longer does offbeat.

RIP.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2019 12:18 AM

great final sequences with redneck Dad in Bonnie and Clyde original Hugo Peabody in Bye Bye Birdie on Broadway RIP

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2019 12:25 AM

He played Mr. Mooney's son in this terrible episode of "The Lucy Show".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2019 12:57 AM

He should’ve had a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2019 1:09 AM

Somewhere in this interview in Beth Howland's bedroom with this horrible reporter, she badmouths Michael J. Pollard. He didn't pay child support and abandoned his daughter. Hopefully he made amends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2019 1:16 AM

He was semi responsible for this. Who knew??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2019 1:22 AM

[quote] Mr. Pollard, who enjoyed the company of poets and rock musicians, was credited with inspiring the title of the group Traffic’s 1971 hit “The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys,” a song by bandmates Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi.

Who knew?

I’ll always remember him wiping his snotty nose on the back of his hand in The Russians Are Coming.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2019 1:23 AM

Jinx r8

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2019 1:23 AM

Wait....maybe he used his dirty mechanic rag to wipe his nose....

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2019 1:28 AM

I grew up watching Scrooged every Christmas season. Herman’s death was so sad to me as a kid. He was a very memorable character actor.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2019 1:32 AM

OP, you could have mentioned Family Ties, his most famous role!

Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2019 1:37 AM

The ghost of Beth Howland is busy this year. First she got TV husband Charles Levin and now real life ex Michael J. Pollard. Charles Kimbrough and Linda Lavin, consider this a warning.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2019 1:38 AM

JUMP BACK!

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2019 1:39 AM

I heard Kip Niven's stocking up on Garlic.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2019 1:40 AM

Oh Geez, Grim Reaper, not another fucking one.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2019 3:21 AM

He was kind of cute as a young actor on Broadway. Here he plays Hugo to Susan Watson's Kim McAfee in the original production of Bye Bye Birdy. Both were replaced in the movie, Kim by Ann-Margret.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2019 5:49 AM

I didn't even realize until now that the entire main cast of Bonnie and Clyde was still alive up until yesterday. Pretty fascinating, for a 52-year old film. Can you imagine the entire cast of Gone With the Wind still being around in 1991?

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2019 5:55 AM

Only the ones who count, r19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2019 6:03 AM

[quote]He was kind of cute as a young actor on Broadway. Here he plays Hugo to Susan Watson's Kim McAfee in the original production of Bye Bye Birdy. Both were replaced in the movie, Kim by Ann-Margret.

Just on a side note. That costume for Conrad Birdie is the campiest thing I've ever seen. If he's supposed to be a teen idol, he must have been a teen idol straight out of the Rocky Horror Show.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2019 2:57 PM

He made some down and dirty schlock in the 1980’s, like American Gothic and Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2019 4:21 PM

"Here he plays Hugo to Susan Watson's Kim McAfee in the original production of Bye Bye Birdy. Both were replaced in the movie, Kim by Ann-Margret."

Can you imagine him playing opposite ANN MARGRET in the movie version of "Bye Bye Birdie?" No casting director or studio head would allowed THAT to happen. By the way, the character of Hugo was totally revamped in the movie; his role was much larger, and he was made a singing, dancing, teen idol cutie pie as played by Bobby Rydell. Poor Michael J. Pollard never could have pulled THAT off. But if he had been cast in the movie he would have been much more interesting than Rydell.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2019 10:51 PM

Bump for original thread.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2019 10:46 PM

In an interview with People, Howland said she let Pollard for her own reasons:

Howland, the only child of a strict Boston Catholic family, married Pollard when she was a 19-year-old Broadway dancer in Bye, Bye, Birdie and he was one of the leads. Three years later, as his career began to flourish as C.W. Moss in Bonnie and Clyde, Beth walked out “It was nothing he ever did. It was just that I had no self-esteem,” she remembers. “I had to get a way to find out who I was.” Struggling to make her career work, Beth set about the frustrating task of rearing her daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2019 10:53 PM

He paved the way for John C Reilly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2019 10:59 PM

He was also in a memorable episode of "Lost In Space" called "The Magic Mirror." Penny falls through a mirror into a strange, dark world; she encounters a Peter Pan like boy (Pollard) who thinks it's a wonderful life there, never growing old and having fun playing with monsters (there's one that's always chasing them) and spying on the people looking into the mirror from the outside. Dr. Smith falls into the mirror too; he becomes hysterical with fear (he doesn't find getting chased by monsters fun) but somehow accidentally finds a way to escape the mirror. Penny follows suit and tells the boy that in order to leave he only has to do what she does; shooting a rifle in the direction of her reflection in a pool of water. She leaves, but he doesn't follow her out of the mirror because...well, watch the episode. The ending is haunting.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2019 11:43 PM

He was great in Bonnie & Clyde. Had no idea about the Traffic connection. I love that song.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2019 11:47 PM

I remember him in Roxanne. Very funny.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2019 11:48 PM

r28 I still can't believe Roseanne's TV mom won an Oscar for playing Bev in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2019 6:47 PM

" I still can't believe Roseanne's TV mom won an Oscar for playing Bev in that movie."

She played BLANCHE in "that movie." I thought Estelle Parson's Oscar was undeserved. Her performance was pure ham. Blanche Barrow, appalled at how she was portrayed onscreen, said Parsons made her out to be "a screaming horse's ass."

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2019 7:18 PM

R22 I was just watching Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland a few days before Pollard died. I watched it again with the commentary on and the director basically said Pollard was very similar to the character he played in that movie and was trying to get into the panties of some of the much-younger actresses in the movie. The director seemed to like him though.

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2019 7:36 PM

R31 I disagree. Parsons' performance was more than just screaming. She was a dynamic character; she undergoes a major change in personality/attitude. She starts out as a respectable, meek, preacher's daughter, but as the story progresses, she becomes more assertive and starts smoking cigarettes and wearing pants. She's also pretty cool-headed toward the end (except when Buck is mortally shot, understandably) and her interrogation scene is just heartbreaking.

She only really acts "like a screaming horse's ass" during the first gun fight in Joplin, MO, as did the real Blanche, which is why I don't understand her complaints. Read her memoir. She describes herself pretty much the way Parsons portrayed her (i.e., wet blanket, dead weight, despised by both Bonnie and Clyde), except in real life Blanche continued to be a screaming horse's ass during all gun fights (she was afraid of guns). Methinks she was embarrassed by how Parsons came across in the film, even though that's how she recorded her own reactions to the events.

by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2019 5:10 PM

[quote]Can you imagine the entire cast of Gone With the Wind still being around in 1991?

Oh THE WIZARD OF OZ, for that matter. Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Bert Lahr, Margaret Hamilton, Billie Burke, Frank Morgan, Charley Grapewin, and Clara Blandick were all dead by then. Bolger was the last to die in 1987.

by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2019 5:15 PM

Judy lives in our hearts.

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2019 4:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!