Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Susan Sarandon attends Jessica Lange’s photography exhibition

I love that they’re still friends years after “Feud”. And I just KNOW Sue has gotten Lange, a Progressive Democrat, on the Bernie train.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 9, 2021 7:58 PM

Mama looks buzzed, lmao!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2019 5:29 PM

I like that they're friends. They had great chemistry on Feud.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2019 5:30 PM

Ahhhhh!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2019 5:30 PM

R2 They really did. I mean, each one was fantastic on their own but it was their chemistry which made the whole thing work and incredibly heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2019 5:32 PM

Two icons!

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2019 5:33 PM

Mama speaks.

FYI, this from today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2019 5:34 PM

Susan - CUNT

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2019 5:35 PM

R7 Susan is a FABULOUS Progressive Democrat...

Who she opposes is the cunt...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2019 5:38 PM

Fuck off, OP/SS apologists.

Some of us recall SS (apt initials) and her spoiler role in 2016. Never forgive, never forget.

SS now has the career and level of infamy she so richly deserves.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2019 5:42 PM

Susan Sarandon literally gassed millions of people to death single-handedly.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2019 5:45 PM

Can't stand either of those old broads

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2019 5:52 PM

R11 Because you’re retarded, dear.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2019 5:54 PM

R12 And you're an SS apologist, DEARIE.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2019 6:03 PM

Fuck Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2019 6:05 PM

Jessica is fine, SS can go fuck herself.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2019 6:06 PM

Susan Sarandon was a spoiler in 2000, as well, with her support of Nader. She’s gross.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2019 6:09 PM

It's amazing that someone can compare the actual SS to a seventy-something actress and then claim anyone who points out how that diminished the actual SS is actually apologizing for them.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2019 6:11 PM

Only on Datalounge do people think that there were voters in Michigan waiting with bated breath to hear what Susan Sarandon thought before casting their ballot for Jill Stein.

Sissy Spacek should've gone public with her write-in for Jeb!

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2019 6:13 PM

Why is a Progressive Liberal Democrat being trashed here?

Are the Republican, Neoliberal slips showing?

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2019 6:13 PM

Why is there a boom mic at a photography exhibition and are those plastic wine glasses?

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2019 6:13 PM

Sarandon's won an Oscar and had a respectable career. Now that she's seventy-three I doubt she cares too much. Which is refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2019 6:17 PM

Whatever Sarandon is doing seems to be working. She's gotta be the hottest 70-something I've ever seen. Is it her politics or pot smoking or a little tasteful surgery?

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2019 6:21 PM

I don't think anyone's even apologizing for Sarandon's comments in 2016, just saying they're irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2019 6:25 PM

Susan is jealous of Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2019 6:44 PM

So is everyone.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2019 6:46 PM

R25 Actually, Meryl is jealous of Jessica as am I...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2019 6:54 PM

Not now that Jess' looks have followed her career down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2019 6:57 PM

R27 You wish so badly it probably hurts, lol.

Btw, that interview with Meryl is from 2010 - less than 10 years ago and BEFORE Lange’s American Horror Story comeback.

In fact, M had just seen “Grey Gardens”.

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2019 7:03 PM

Sarandon's finally looking her age.

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2019 7:05 PM

I wonder what pearls of wisdom this cunt has up her sleeves for next year. Fuck that putrid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2019 7:50 PM

And she looks like a total idiot in that outfit.

by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2019 8:38 PM

This is my favorite shot of Sue and Jess. They’re having fun ❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2019 4:31 AM

Sue on the photography:

[quote] “I'd seen the book already, so I’m not shocked by the images,” Sarandon told THR. “This is beautifully curated. The prints are gorgeous when you see them in person. She’s a very gifted photographer, traveling through America this way."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2019 4:38 AM

Jessica Lange’s “Highway 61” Explores America the Beautiful, Lonely, and Fading

The actor’s fourth book of photography takes the viewer on a road trip through middle America.

October 17th 2019 by Carrie Courogen photos courtesy of powerHouse Books To be a woman is to be constantly observed; being an actor only magnifies that sensation. To be Jessica Lange, a now-iconic presence on screen and stage, is to be observed, molded into a man’s vision of a twenty-something sexpot (giant ape palm optional), and measured against that image—for better or worse—for the next forty years. To be a photographer, though, is to be in control of the narrative, become the watcher instead of the watched. It’s independent work; there are no cogs in well-oiled Hollywood machines that need to be relied upon to create something. It’s just you and your camera, and the story you want to tell.

Lange, a two-time Academy Award winner, is not the first actor to take up residency behind the lens in her spare time—Jeff Bridges, Brad Pitt, and Dennis Hopper, among others, have all published work over the years—but Lange’s craft is no mere hobby. Her photos share a devastatingly lonely quality, often capturing haunting visions of landscapes and people that hinge on the precipice of disappearance. So well do they carry their own weight, it’s a shame that society—which often must categorize women as one thing in order to take them seriously—tends to regard Lange not as both an actor and photographer, but as an actor who happens to also take photos.

Highway 61, Lange’s fourth published collection, proves the strength of her gaze on its own, away from the shadow of her stardom. Through a monograph released this October via PowerHouse Books and an exhibition showing from November 21 through January 18 at New York’s Howard Greenberg Gallery, Highway 61 takes the viewer on a road trip through middle America, documenting the historic road from its origin at the Canadian border through its end in downtown New Orleans in eighty-four gritty tritone photographs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2019 4:47 AM

cont’d

“I have a long history with Highway 61,” Lange, now seventy, writes in the book’s afterword. “I was born in a small town along that road in Northern Minnesota, as were my parents and sisters. Most of my family—grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins—were born, married, and died in towns on that same stretch.” Lange very well could have followed suit, had she not itched to leave town at eighteen, stumbled into a photography class her freshman year at the University of Minnesota where she fell in love with a photographer, and quit school to follow him on a bohemian adventure through Paris, San Francisco, and downtown New York at the dawn of the 1970s.

In the ensuing years, Lange established herself as one of her generation’s most formidable actresses in films like The Postman Always Rings Twice, Frances, and Tootsie. It wasn’t until the early ’90s that Lange began taking photos in earnest—incidentally, around the same time Hollywood began to nudge her and her peers into the “wife, mother, or district attorney” stage of their careers—when then-partner Sam Shepard gifted her a Leica. Shortly after, Lange returned home to Minnesota to raise her children, camera in hand to capture it all.

It’s this comfortable familiarity with the land, this push and pull between past and present, that informs Lange’s Highway 61. Bob Dylan’s vision of the highway may be the definitive one in contemporary pop culture—and Lange cites its influence as the first album she bought at age sixteen—but her take on the place is quieter, more desolate, and far sadder. Hers is a vision of all the small town trappings many women resent in their ambitious youths but learn to appreciate, and perhaps return to, decades later.

To view life along the highway through Lange’s lens is to view a ghost of what America once was and may never be again; all abandoned factories, boarded up Main Street storefronts, and empty beer halls where only memories occupy stool seats. Images of what remains and what is clung to—greasy spoon diners, animated state fairs and town parades, roadside farm stands—often feel like evidence that will be looked at in the near future for proof that something entirely gone did, indeed, once exist.

Lange has spoken often of her lifelong loneliness; it bleeds into her work, especially in Highway 61, at times almost unbearably so. Stare a little too long and you might begin to feel the photos’ melancholy seep into the marrow of your bones, a quality Lange acknowledged in discussion with art director Sam Shahid at a recent appearance in New York. “Not that anybody wants it,” she laughed, “but you can share in my loneliness.” It might not be what the viewer wants, but perhaps it’s what she wants; two lonely people being lonely together are better than one.

This sense of shared solitude is a current throughout her work, the camera gravitating toward loners, seemingly connected to them by a siren call. A young girl stands on a lake’s shore, watching her peers crowd a concrete structure jutting out of the water; an aging cowboy contemplates a county fair machine game; a grey-haired man eats alone in an empty restaurant; the son of a long-dead mother surrounds himself with her doll collection.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2019 4:48 AM

cont’d

It’s a similarly isolated manner in which Lange has long preferred to work, citing both her shyness and her personal time in front of an intrusive camera as reasons why, until recently, she chose to take photos stealthily and without any detection. Engaging her subjects is a new habit that came from an experience working on 61: One day, riding her bike through New Orleans where she keeps a home, Lange encountered a group of school children rebuilding a home and, after striking up a conversation with one, she asked if she could take his photograph.

“It was really the first time I ever said this,” she explained. “He said yes, and that’s the photo on the cover. He just looked directly at me. I had my camera and there was some kind of wonderful exchange between the camera and him, and I began to appreciate more and more the direct gaze.” These portraits, a departure from her typical oeuvre, lend the collection a deeper, more arresting sense of intimacy. In a look, these people feel more like real people, and less like ghosts—to the viewer and the photographer alike.

“I think what I loved more than anything with some of these is the human connection and the encounter that you have,” she continued. “Not that you know them in such a short amount of time, but you have an encounter with somebody and it’s very human. It was actually some of my favorite stuff.”

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2019 4:50 AM

cont’d

Still, these shots appear rarely in the book, brief pit stops in Lange’s favoring of forlorn, barren landscapes and passerby as subjects. In these hardscrabble, forgotten road towns and their inhabitants, Lange finds the middle America endlessly pandered to on debate stages and in national news outlets, though there’s no sensationalizing, no posturing of “who will serve them best?” or faux-concern with understanding the Trump voter as a member of “the liberal Hollywood elite.” In front of Lange’s camera, there is just brutal honesty: a once lively America that is dying, and the people trying their best to survive on its rotten flesh.

Despite a long history of political candor, Lange also said Highway 61 was deliberately intended to be devoid of any political statement: “It was meant to be more of an emotional statement, my emotional response to what I saw. But, of course,” she added, “everything is shifting, whether it’s through climate change or economics or whatever. You can’t ignore that.”

It’s true; every day it becomes increasingly difficult to see clear lines separating the personal and the political. Lange’s vision of America in all its crumbling disrepair is a vital, relevant documentation of our shared history. But whether it was her intention or not, it also makes for a powerful political statement—one that, much like loneliness, is difficult to shake. FL

End

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2019 4:50 AM

When are Jess and Sue gonna scissor?

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2019 7:56 AM

Remember when saggy Susan went through a period of being very popular and getting like 4 Oscar nominations in 5 years?! They haven't looked near her in 25 years

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2019 9:04 AM

Looks like Jess has been hitting the botox again?

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2019 12:02 PM

R38 Maybe they already have?

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2019 2:09 PM

I hope they come out as a couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2019 5:39 AM

Mother! I fired another nanny and need you on diaper duty, not at some lame celebrity book launch. Honestly, you have no idea what it's like to be pregnant and single. And bring your checkbook.

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2019 5:52 AM

If Warren is the Dem nominee, I hope Sarandon will throw her support behind her.

I'm getting vibes that she won't. :/

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2019 6:13 AM

The Bernie Train to Nowheresville.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2019 6:16 AM

R44 She will. Bernie has called Warren his favorite Senator as recently as 2017. Check out these discussions between the two from some aid year.

They’re on the same side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 26, 2019 2:46 AM

Another discussion with Warren. This is (I think) where he calls her his favorite Senator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 26, 2019 2:48 AM

Jessica can’t STAND Bernie Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 48November 26, 2019 2:49 AM

R48 Um, Jessica is a very Progressive Liberal Democrat. I can see her inner hippie LOVING him.

She and Sue probably have a ball smoking pot, drinking and talking politics.

by Anonymousreply 49November 26, 2019 2:53 AM

That jacket is seriously dug.

by Anonymousreply 50November 26, 2019 3:04 AM

I meant FUG.

by Anonymousreply 51November 26, 2019 3:04 AM

[quote] Um, Jessica is a very Progressive Liberal Democrat. I can see her inner hippie LOVING him.

And yet she doesn’t. She was a strong Hillary supporter in 2016, to the degree that there was some question whether she and Sue the Schmuck would get along on the set of Feud (they did. They didn’t discuss politics and got on fine. For hardcore serious actors, their art transcends everything).

Jess hasn’t weighed in on 2020, but it won’t be Bernie, it’ll be either Warren or Harris.

by Anonymousreply 52November 26, 2019 3:52 AM

R52 Honey, don’t test me on Mama. She ditched Clinton back in ‘08 over Syria and campaigned for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 53November 26, 2019 6:27 PM

But she was back with her in 2016. She hated Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2019 4:04 PM

r54, EVERYBODY hates Col. Sanders these days. It's all about Popeye's now.

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2019 12:42 AM

They went to see “A Marriage Story,” apparently. They’re totally going to end up best friends and I’m SO here for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2019 1:42 PM

MEH!

by Anonymousreply 57January 9, 2021 7:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!