Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Catholic priest condemned a teen's suicide at his own funeral. Now, his mom is suing

A Michigan mother is suing the Archdiocese of Detroit alleging that the priest who spoke at her son’s funeral questioned whether her son would go to heaven after dying by suicide, adding to the family’s suffering.

Linda Hullibarger and her husband, Jeff, said they met with Rev. Don LaCuesta in 2018 to plan funeral services for their 18-year-old son, Maison, a straight-A student and outstanding athlete who died on Dec. 4.

According to the complaint filed Thursday in Wayne County, the parents met with LaCuesta well before the funeral to make clear they wanted the priest to deliver a positive and uplifting message that celebrated the life of their son.

“We wanted him to celebrate how Maison lived, not how he died,” Maison’s mother told the Detroit Free Press in 2018.

Instead, the suit alleges that LaCuesta used his homily at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church to insert his opinions on suicide, questioning whether the teen would go to heaven.

“He was up there condemning our son, pretty much calling him a sinner. He wondered if he had repented enough to make it to heaven,” Maison’s father said. “He said ‘suicide’ upwards of six times.”

According to the suit, the family had not disclosed the nature of the teen's death to the priest.

Maison’s father told the Free Press that at one point he had even walked up to the priest and said, “Father, please stop,” but the pastor continued with his statements.

“No parent, no sibling, no family member, should ever, ever have to sit through what we sat through," Maison’s mother said in a statement released by the family's attorney. "When you’re already beyond devastated, why would you make it even worse?"

The couple said last year that LaCuesta’s actions not only upset the family, including their five other children, but also that the priest tried to keep them from eulogizing their son, even though that had been agreed on in advance.

Death by suicide has been considered sinful by the Catholic Church and other religions for centuries, but the church has softened its stance in recent decades.

Following her son’s funeral service, Maison's mother sought LaCuesta’s removal. According to her lawsuit, a call with Bishop Gerard Battersby confirmed that church officials believed that what LaCuesta did was wrong but would not remove him.

The archdiocese said Thursday in a statement that it does not comment on pending litigation and referred to its December 2018 statement on the priest’s actions.

In that statement, the archdiocese said it acknowledged that "the family was hurt further by Father's choice to share Church teaching on suicide, when the emphasis should have been placed more on God's closeness to those who mourn."

Last year's statement also said that LaCuesta will not preach at funerals and will have his future homilies reviewed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167November 25, 2019 12:35 PM

Catholic priests can be such sanctimonious [alcholic] assholes.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2019 9:11 PM

[quote] According to the suit, the family had not disclosed the nature of the teen's death to the priest.

[quote] Maison’s father told the Free Press that at one point he had even walked up to the priest and said, “Father, please stop,” but the pastor continued with his statements.

This part is very troubling.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2019 9:14 PM

I hope they win this lawsuit.

That must have been traumatic for the family and his friends.

That priest was a fucking CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2019 9:15 PM

I had a priest tell me one time that when we died I would go one place and he would go to another. I thought you have that right except I will be the one going to a higher place.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2019 9:16 PM

The dad's a hottie.

He should have knocked that priest the fuck OUT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2019 9:18 PM

Clearly, when this was happening, the family needed the services of this lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2019 9:18 PM

The priest was PHILIPIINNO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2019 9:19 PM

Why in the hell would such a good looking and SMART kid, off himself?

That's fucked up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2019 9:20 PM

[QUOTE] Maison’s father told the Free Press that at one point he had even walked up to the priest and said, “Father, please stop,” but the pastor continued with his statements.

[QUOTE] He should have knocked that priest the fuck OUT.

I definitely would’ve laid him out. The father should be commended for his restraint.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2019 9:21 PM

If this is true, then the priest is a FUCKWAD. Losing a child when they take their own life is bad enough; to have them vilified at their own funeral is beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2019 9:23 PM

Oh, dear at myself at R1. Alcoholic. And yes, a lot of them drink like fish behind the scenes, which is conveniently not considered a 'sin.'

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2019 9:23 PM

The priest IS a total fuckwad, but I'm getting sick of people suing each other all the time and running to the media about every pissy thing. "Our son died. The priest said mean shit. Give us money."

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2019 9:31 PM

Okay, I hope this isn't inappropriate, but Maison looked like he "sniffed cookies," if you get my drift.

I hope that didn't have anything to do with his suicide.

Strange, how it's always the straight-A students and popular athletes who seem the most devastated about the thought of being gay.

This is why we need to be more assertive about gay acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2019 9:33 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2019 9:37 PM

In addition to his hurtful homily, the priest tried to finish the service without letting Jeff get up to speak.

'I had words prepared, but when (the priest) was done, he was going to finish mass without giving anybody else the opportunity to say anything.

'He had the organist start playing and they were going to roll the casket out — some nerve.

'Our funeral director by this time was at the front of the church. We had to have the funeral director walk over and stop the organist,' he said.

The Archdiocese of Detroit apologized on LaCuesta's behalf afterwards.

'We share the family’s grief at such a profound loss.

'Our hope is always to bring comfort into situations of great pain, through funeral services centered on the love and healing power of Christ.

'Unfortunately, that did not happen in this case. We understand that an unbearable situation was made even more difficult, and we are sorry.

'After some reflection, the presider agrees that the family was not served as they should have been served.

'For the foreseeable future, he will not be preaching at funerals and he will have his other homilies reviewed by a priest mentor,' it said.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2019 9:37 PM

How in the hell did the DAILY FAIL find this information???

Damn, they must have people everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2019 9:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2019 9:38 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2019 9:38 PM

They sound special. Im not saying the kids suicide is anything but heartbreaking, but Im wondering if the parents are responsible for the kids actions. They seem overbearing and overprotective, Ive known parents like them. They are usually the most cruel to their kids by demanding perfection, special attention, and not allowing the kid to have an experience or opinion of his own, all the while pointing fingers at others to blame for the kids issues.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2019 9:47 PM

What sort of douchewad goes to a funeral for someone whose family specifically asked you not to attend.

It's one thing if the homophobic family of your partner tries to keep you from attending. But, given the history, why would this guy even bother other than to continue to harass them.

As for the priest, if it's against catholic dogma for someone to go to heaven after committing suicide, fine, then don't agree to do the service. Don't provide a catholic whatever-you-call it. Don't bury him in a catholic cemetery. Don't agree then take the opportunity to be an asswipe.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2019 9:49 PM

Wrong R19.

That coach must have had a lot to do with the kids' suicide, and that fucking cunt of a priest, just added insult to injury.

"Maison Hullibarger was a freshman at the University of Toledo when he died without warning. While grieving, the Hullibarger family did have one firm, unique request: They did not want his high school coach to attend their son’s funeral.

According to the Toledo Blade, that message was passed on to Bedford (Mich.) High School coach Jeff Wood, who either never received it or refused to acknowledge it. As a result, he no longer has a job leading a high school football program.

As reported by the Blade, Wood had just been asked to leave the funeral when he took to Facebook to vent about the situation. While the post has since been removed, it was captured by the Blade and apparently was brought to the school district’s attention, and that precipitated Wood’s dismissal after 11 seasons leading the program.

“He is no longer affiliated in any way with the Bedford football program,” Bedford schools superintendent Carl Schultz said in a statement to the Blade. “The district holds all of its staff to the highest standards of professionalism, as personal and professional integrity is the core of our service to our community.

“The district recently received allegations that those standards may not have been met by the coach. Therefore, we are in the process of thoroughly investigating those allegations. The district will take appropriate, firm, corrective action if the allegations are substantiated. To protect the rights of all involved parties, I cannot offer further comment regarding ongoing personnel matters.”

The full reasons behind why the family was so adamant Wood not be present remain to be fully developed, though his surviving relatives cited an alleged history of verbal mistreatment of Hullibarger and his brothers, who also played for Wood at the school.

Wood’s response to the banishment, as he published on Facebook, was less than graceful.

Before anyone tries to write off Hullibarger as just another player, know that he was not. Hullibarger was a star. The Class of 2018 two-way starter served as a running back and defensive back for Wood’s teams and was the kind of tent pole player upon which programs are built. If he had a problem with Wood, and his brothers did as well, it’s fair to surmise that a whole lot of other former players did, too.

As a result of those controversial comments, Bedford is suddenly without its football coach of the past 11 years, complete with eight state playoff berths. As noted by the Blade, Wood went 77-38 at Bedford. He had only previously been suspended for a single game at the start of the 2015 season, for an incident to which he was only tangentially connected.

“What we need to do for our son is we need to stand up for him now,” Linda Hullibarger told the Blade. “[Mr. Wood] is leaving because he did something horrific and people need to know that he’s not this great coach that is just stepping down on his terms. He is gone for a totally different reason.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2019 9:49 PM

I can't imagine what the parents have gone through. Everything about this is horrific.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2019 9:51 PM

The parents sound slightly deranged. They are busying themselves with pointing the finger at others in order to avoid looking at their own role in the kid's death.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2019 9:51 PM

You're the one who sounds deranged, R23.

His parents sound nothing but supportive of their son.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2019 9:52 PM

You choose a religion, you play by their rules. Get over it toots.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2019 9:53 PM

Really sad, and the priest and coach are both festering assholes of humanity.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2019 9:56 PM

You sound sociopathic, R23.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2019 9:56 PM

R26 Yes. These people belong to a cult which separates them from rationality.

And there's lots of pedos within that cult.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2019 9:56 PM

My religious freedoms are being trampled on!!!!

I will take this to the US Supreme Court, if necessary, where I know I will be vindicated.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2019 9:59 PM

I would like to read the Complaint that was filed to understand what is the legal basis for this lawsuit. The only thing I can think of is Infliction of emotional distress.

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2019 10:04 PM

[quote] but I'm getting sick of people suing each other all the time

Ehh, normally I might agree, but in this case, the Catholic Church is filthy rich. They have a couple of dozens of billions of dollars to spare..

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2019 10:07 PM

Fuck that priest. Fuck him. These people operate in another century. Who the fuck is he to judge someone like that? This is despicable behavior. I hope she sues the crap out of him.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2019 10:08 PM

Agreed, R25. I'm sorry, but it's the parents' own fault for sticking to Catholicism and specifically seeking out a Catholic priest (instead of being rational atheists or at least agnostics and having a normal civil wake). Their son committed suicide (one of the biggest "sins" in their own "holy" fiction-book), but they want an "uplifting", "celebratory" message at a suicidee's funeral? Have they not READ Catholic theological works? Catholicism is all about guilt, self-flagellation, penitence and remorse. In the theology of the Catholic Church, even babies are already "born" as 'marred' with "original sin". Gee, and these parents expect an "uplifting" ceremony?

Sorry, if you belong to a CULT like that - don't expect a devout Catholic priest to "celebrate" a suicidee. Ain't going to happen. The priest may be awful (as is much of Catholicism and cults in general) - but at least he knows the rules (suicidees don't go to "heaven", he's right). The parents, on the other hand, seem to want to have it both ways - be "Catholics" but avoid any 'upsetting' reminders of what their own cult-ish religion actually says about suicide.

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2019 10:10 PM

The Catholic church doesn’t consider it a sin anymore. This priest is just crazy.

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2019 10:14 PM

Funny how love and compassion - both central to the Christian faith - don't factor into your little rant, at all.

How typical.

All it would have taken was a little bit of tact and empathy by that cunting priest, and there would not have been an issue here.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2019 10:14 PM

It says the father went up to the priest and asked him to stop. My Dad would have cold-cocked him, and no one would have stopped him or tried to help that priest (or that asshole coach). I remember that my Dad kicked his aunt out of his own father's funeral, with tacit approval from the rest of his family. My Mom was a very genteel lady, and she kept her emotions to herself in public, but she was always enormously proud of my Dad and his......balls. He was always my hero, and when I question how I should handle things, I just ask myself, "what would Dad do?" and I have my answer.

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2019 10:16 PM

[quote]The Catholic church doesn’t consider it a sin anymore.

Incorrect. But it does provide itself -- and suicide victims -- a great deal of wiggle room:

A person who “willfully and knowingly” chooses suicide would still be considered to be in a state of mortal sin. The church acknowledges, however, that most people who die by suicide suffer from mental illness and are thus incapable of making a clear, rational decision.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2019 10:17 PM

R34, does the Catholic Church still consider a pregnant mother giving birth through her vagina a "virgin"? The Catholics have been condemning suicidees for 2000 years, but in the past few years they're suddenly back-pedalling (probably because their popularity is plummeting). Lol, it makes the CC even more inconsistent and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2019 10:20 PM

I contrast this priest with the parish priest of friends of mine whose son killed himself at age 19. The priest not only did the loveliest service I've ever attended, he checked in with the parents weekly for the first year (always brought brownies or other treats because the wife and the boys' sibilings loved sweets). My friends are still devastated but that priest got them through such dark times.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2019 10:23 PM

Every one of these messed up people sound like Trump voters to me. No I am not bring politics into this thread, it is just the type of self righteous assholes who think their religion should rule over EVERYONE, whether they are members of that religion or not.

You have a ceremony in a house of religion you face the possibility they might throw their religion in your face. Sad about the kid and I do feel sympathy for the family but they knew what they were getting into, who tells a priest what they will and will not speak about, and then expect them to follow your wishes.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2019 10:23 PM

r33, there are plenty of atheists who are massive abusive assholes.

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2019 10:30 PM

[quote] Funny how love and compassion - both central to the Christian faith - don't factor into your little rant, at all.

If "love and compassion" are central to the Xtian (specifically Catholic, in this case) faith, then why do they insist that everyone (even 1-day old babies) were born with the burden of the "original sin", R35? That ideology sure doesn't sound very "love-spreading" or "compassionate". They're Catholics, not hippies. It's pointless trying to make an irrational, outdated, often dangerous cult "humane" - it was always a very tough, hard and irrational cult and it still is. The foundations of Catholicism (which formed by SEPARATING from other Xtians, i.e. the Orthodox Greeks) was about division of power and population control - not about "love". No amount of lovey-dovey revisionism will change that.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2019 10:32 PM

No wonder this kid killed himself — he was surrounded by assholes!

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2019 10:39 PM

If ya don't want hate, don't book a papist.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2019 10:42 PM

He was hotttt! Damn I wanna fuck him!

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2019 10:43 PM

R41, you can sue an atheist (i.e. basically, a layperson / regular contractor) if he's hired by you for a fee and not following your set rules - that's absolutely fine. But it's silly to sue a Catholic priest for correctly stating that in their fantasy Cult, suicidees generally don't go to "fantasy heaven". The parents don't seem to understand the top-down dynamic in a Cult. The parents (or parishioners) cannot set rules for a priest (or demand that he don't "remind" them of the rules) - the Catholic Church sets rules for the parents / parishioners and the priest explains those rules. If they don't like those rules - they are free to leave the Cult (and will probably be better for it).

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2019 10:45 PM

" love and compassion - both central to the Christian faith - don't factor into your little rant,"

R35, love and compassion don't factor into Christianity today; not at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2019 10:46 PM

[quote] love and compassion don't factor into Christianity today; not at all.

But that's not to say that it SHOULDN'T. At least, not if they're following the teachings of the Bible.

That's the problem with these assholes. They're so full of personal judgment, that they're not following the central book of their faith.

It's all about how THEY feel, and not what their faith dictates - which is love and compassion. In fact, the Bible clearly states - "Faith, hope, and love. Abide these three. But the greatest of these, is love."

Father cuntface isn't following the teachings of his own faith. Clearly. Or he wouldn't have made the sermon all about HIMSELF.

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2019 11:01 PM

R48 You're right. Sadly, I've seen more atheists following the teachings of the Bible then religious people.

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2019 11:14 PM

Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. —John 13:33–35

I was taught, as a Catholic, that any teachings of Christ are primary to anything else I've ever been taught. Calling me a Papist nutcase doesn't change anything. I'm not mean, I'm not a bigot, and I'm not some demented person. I just try to treat people with kindness, and keep it simple. When it was announced that same-sex marriage was legal in the US, my parents asked me when my boyfriend and I would be scheduling our wedding at our parish church. I had to explain that it didn't work like that. They were both pretty pissed off, and even asked about what religion we should convert to, but I didn't think that made much sense, considering their advanced age. My BF and I could go to a justice of the peace. But I wouldn't go to a church that featured this asshole priest. My parish is 'welcoming', meaning that divorced and gay people are welcomed, and won't be judged.

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2019 11:16 PM

[quote] But that's not to say that it SHOULDN'T. At least, not if they're following the teachings of the Bible.

The "teachings" of the Bible are all over the place, R48. It's a very dark document. People seem to be under the false impression that "Christianity" (a misnomer really) is just about Jesus Christ and his harmless, hippy-esque "love and compassion" sermons. But it's not - the Bible is actually more about an omnipotent, omniscient "GOD, the Father" (who is more important than "Christ, the Son"). And that "GOD" is anything but "compassionate" or "loving" (even in the New Testament). I mean, come on, "God" intentionally sent his own "half-divine son" to be tortured and killed - because "God" believed that "people" were so awash with "sin" that only a "human sacrifice" (!) could help. The Bible is a nightmarish, fear-inducing document, full of "divine" unfairness and cruelty. It's hopeless to try to "re-vamp" it into "My Little Pony".

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2019 11:24 PM

I remember this when it happened. We had a discussion about it here as well. Don't remember these sanctimonious cunts blaming the parents from that thread, though.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2019 11:26 PM

"Sanctimonious cunts", R52? Try "realists".

Inviting a devout Catholic priest to speak at a suicidee's funeral is like inviting a PETA activist to eulogise at a fur-wearing meat-eater's wake. It's sheer blind naïveté.

by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2019 11:39 PM

I hate Catholicism. I absolutely loathe it.

But I find it very interesting that some of you have had good experiences with it. My own having grown up with it have been extremely unhappy. This priest was a total shit but what can you do? They are like royalty. Complete arrogant assholes. Popes for many many decades have been protecting sex offenders even the beloved John Paul II so what can you expect from any of them? They were ALL in on it.

The art though is the absolute best in the history of civilization. But that is way way in the past.

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2019 11:40 PM

I hope they get a lot of money suing the church for emotional abuse. That’s pretty horrendous. But, as they say, religion ruins everything.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2019 11:49 PM

Once they're done suing the priest and diocese, are they going to leave the church, or nah? Because if they don't leave, then apparently they're fine with this.

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2019 11:50 PM

Father LaCunta is a true and utter evil cunt. Despicable. I cannot believe the family didn't physically remove him from speaking.

Why do most funerals turn into Sunday church revivals? Funerals should be about celebrating the life of the deceased not barely mentioning them but droning on and on about Christ and being saved. It is appalling. When my uncle passed away years ago, his ex, who was not at all religious, invited a preacher to give the service and he only mentioned my uncle at the beginning then 45 minutes solid of church, Jesus, get saved. My uncle was also not religious at all. I was furious!

by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2019 12:01 AM

Catholicism (and other old, tough religions) were necessary at a certain point in time in society's development. Imagine: you have an ancient population, most of whom can't read, can't write, love to fight, and therefore are hard to "reason" with - the only way to build a more or less coherent, law-abiding society out of such semi-wild, unwashed, uneducated peasant masses is to impose a religious "order" on them. That's why it's even called a religious "order" - because despite being excessively cruel, restrictive (and often even irrational), it did succeed in making ancient society function in a more coherent way.

Basically, you scare large masses of very impressionable, superstitious, pugnacious people into obedience and "civil order": if you kill - you'll go to "hell"; if you rape - you'll go to "hell"; if you commit adultery and start passing around STDs - you'll go to "hell"; if you exhibit most of the "deadly sins" / "cardinal vices" (sloth, gluttony, lust, etc) - you'll go to "hell"; and so on. "Hell and eternal torture in fire" sounded way more scary than simply being hanged or incarcerate for a crime - so people became anxious about doing the prohibited behaviour. And if you "follow the rules" and "obey" - you'll be rewarded with a "lovely afterlife".

It was a smart form of controlling & steering a largely uneducated population. But now, in the 21st C, most people are taught to read and write and can follow rules without being scared by mythical bogeymen - so hanging on to an outdated form of controlling the population is no longer necessary.

by Anonymousreply 58November 21, 2019 12:10 AM

All Catholics will go to hell anyway. They have caused so much suicide, dysfunction, mental illness and the destruction of entire generations from fucking and abusing little boys for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2019 12:19 AM

The Protestants/Evangelicals/Pentecostals are not any better.The scourge of the US, with how they've infiltrated politics with their BS hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 60November 21, 2019 12:22 AM

If the priest felt so strongly that the dead person committed a sin by taking his own life, then why did he agree to let the funeral take place in the Catholic church, and why did he agree to do the funeral? They won't let gay people marry in a church, so why let suicide victims have funerals in a church. The priest is mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 61November 21, 2019 12:27 AM

I'm R36 and R50. I've experienced Catholic attitudes towards suicide. My Mom's, my sisters's, my boyfriend's (he's not Catholic) and my parish priest's. My brother never visited, because he was furious. But everyone else visited every day, and struggled with what to say or do. There was nothing wrong with my parish priest. My family is/was Catholic, and they've loved and supported me unconditionally.

by Anonymousreply 62November 21, 2019 12:28 AM

This kid was under a lot of pressure to be perfect. Perfect grades, perfect football player (to make daddy proud), perfect little Catholic. That’s a lot of pressure and sometimes kids snap.

by Anonymousreply 63November 21, 2019 12:30 AM

They are paid for the service though the payment is usually a contribution after the service. I understand their distress but I can't understand them suing the church. What the priest did was wrong but as noted not really considering the teachings of the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 64November 21, 2019 12:33 AM

is that coach's facebook page still up?

by Anonymousreply 65November 21, 2019 12:34 AM

I'm sorry, I'm R62, and I meant my attempts, not those of my family members.

by Anonymousreply 66November 21, 2019 12:39 AM

Why would he wait until college to kill himself if the high school coach had bullied him? It doesn’t make sense. And why was he “Maison” instead of “Mason”? Did they pronounce his name MAY-zon?

by Anonymousreply 67November 21, 2019 12:58 AM

r67 no one said he killed himself BECAUSE of his coach. The coach is a notorious bully and the parents didn't want him there.

by Anonymousreply 68November 21, 2019 1:05 AM

I think this priest is a cunt and out of touch. . I have had 4 suicides in my family, 3 of them had Catholic services. The priests were all very compassionate and helped our family enormously.

by Anonymousreply 69November 21, 2019 1:19 AM

A member of the pedophilia profession is passing judgement?

by Anonymousreply 70November 21, 2019 1:21 AM

WTF With the creepy inappropriate coach!

by Anonymousreply 71November 21, 2019 1:35 AM

Poor kid.

by Anonymousreply 72November 21, 2019 1:44 AM

The priest story and the coach story involve two different kids

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2019 1:52 AM

How is he "out-of-touch", R69? Catholicism still venerates a book scribbled 2,000+ years years ago and still believes a "divine" being "impregnated" a "virgin". Catholicism is, [italic]by definition[/italic], out of touch :). Virgins can't get knocked up by "Gods" without cocks, water can't turn into wine, people can't simply walk on water. The CC cult is steeped up to its neck in archaic mysticism. Thinking the CC can be "in-touch" is pure double-think: believing two contradicting things at the same time.

But I love how the CC is so desperate for followers that they're now often bending over backwards & twisting themselves into a pretzel to allow everyone to do almost anything & everything they please. People started fucking around and divorcing and re-marrying multiple times, often out of boredom - the CC caved in and declared it's 'suddenly' not a "sin" of "adultery" anymore. People started complaining that their suicidal relatives must get celebrated in church - the CC caved in. At this rate, the Catholics might as well tear out huge chunks of their own "holy" Bible and throw them into the trash - because apparently the Bible is "wrong" about many things. Which means it's not a "holy" text - which in turn means the whole religious cult is based on false-prone quicksand.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2019 1:54 AM

I feel bad for the parents, but this is what you get when you associate with trash, such as the catholic church, who makes jeffrey epstein seem like Mr Rogers or Jimmy Carter

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2019 1:55 AM

R16 The Daily Mail is thorough.

They may slightly exaggerate their stories but it's up to us the reader to realise that.

by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2019 1:57 AM

[quote]r33 I'm sorry, but it's the parents' own fault for sticking to Catholicism and specifically seeking out a Catholic priest (instead of being rational atheists, or at least agnostics, and having a normal civil wake).

Yup.

[quote]Their son committed suicide (one of the biggest "sins" in their own "holy" fiction-book), but they want an "uplifting", "celebratory" message at a suicidee's funeral?

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the cathedral!

by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2019 2:27 AM

[quote]r42 If "love and compassion" are central to the Xtian (specifically Catholic, in this case) faith, then why do they insist that everyone (even 1-day old babies) were born with the burden of the "original sin", [R35]?

There's also the Biblicalteaching of pre-destimation. Some little babies are just "doomed from the womb" for hell. Nothing they can do can overcome it.

by Anonymousreply 78November 21, 2019 2:32 AM

Not really, R73.

The coach was a part of this story, because he attended the service, and Maison's parents made it clear that they didn't want him there.

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2019 5:02 AM

Sorry r79, you're right...

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2019 6:06 AM

Paid a priest $1500 (a "donation") to say my grandmothers mass. He'd never met her once while she was alive and said the most bland, generic things about that wonderful lady. I'd have cold cocked him if he'd said anything negative, so I can imagine how these parents feel. The CC is a scam.

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2019 6:09 AM

I hope the poor young man's family have woken up about what a nasty, vile scam church is especially their own.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2019 6:14 AM

[quote][R33], there are plenty of atheists who are massive abusive assholes.

Well! There's PROOF of the risen Jesus right there!

by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2019 6:21 AM

This is sad but the saddest aspect to me is that the family most likely will not learn from this and will continue to give their money to this hateful and hurtful organization. I have a morbid fascination with the depth of Catholic church attachment that allows its members to rage against its abuses while never considering that they are financially underwriting those abuses and advertising the Catholic business with their participation.

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2019 6:26 AM

The night before I moved out of my parent's home, my Dad asked to talk to me.

Are you sure about this, "Yes, Dad."

Do you have enough money, "I think I do, Dad."

How are you going to pay for rent? "I have a job, Dad".

He BEGGED for me to reconsider, but I didn't. I moved out, and it was disastrous. But I wasn't raised by savages or villains. I was raised in a loving family, and I had to face the real world, and the real world didn't have much use for me.. My parents never abandoned me.

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2019 6:44 AM

Someone needs to make a good movie or book about this. I want to know every detail.

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2019 6:53 AM

Likely homophobia subtext. The coach coming to the funeral suggests some kind of "gotcha" moment for the bully. The priest is probably just a third worlder with the brain of a vegetable who thinks he was hired to be a warrior for the faith.

by Anonymousreply 87November 21, 2019 9:16 AM

Football and religion are both toxic as hell. And in flyover states, there is no escaping that hell for some except through drastic measures.

by Anonymousreply 88November 21, 2019 9:31 AM

Wow, this is interesting! I'm also from Michigan and also had a friend commit suicide in our freshman year of college. At his funeral, the priest (or pastor or whatever you call him--I'm not religious) was being very harsh towards my friend, saying almost angrily that it was NOT my friend's time to go and that God did NOT call him home. I remember it making me feel really uncomfortable, like he was chastising my dead friend. I've never forgotten that.

by Anonymousreply 89November 21, 2019 9:35 AM

priests are mostly average men who want to escape the world. what qualifies them to offer advice or have authority?

by Anonymousreply 90November 21, 2019 9:46 AM

I detect a gay subplot here - involving the coach and/or the priest. It's possible the coach was the only adult the boy confided in - as all the others refused to accept their son as gay? Or was he an abuser? Or was the priest privy, via confession, of this boy's terrible secrets? or was he the cliche priestly abuser himself? Star athlete, hot, suicide ... it all points to gay.

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2019 9:50 AM

The more I read, the more I'm becoming convinced that organized religion is the festering boil on the ass of humanity.

by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2019 10:01 AM

R91, I'm unable to look it up right now but if I remember correctly the coach had bullied the dead kid's brothers before him for years. It's like he had a vendetta against the whole family going on. It sounds like he was on a power trip and thought he decides what happens with these boys. It's possible he's mentally unstable with a personality disorder. The sad thing is someone had to die before he was fired.

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2019 10:16 AM

So the kid was a closet case, and/or was molested by the coach? Just a guess, of course, but it would make sense that an otherwise 'perfect' guy had a hidden pain that drove him to kill himself.

by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2019 10:18 AM

I was thinking the same thing, R94.

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2019 10:23 AM

Why has all this been reported publicly? Something strange about this family, perhaps parents who clare thriving on the drama and the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 96November 21, 2019 10:27 AM

[quote] 'We’ve had four boys who played for him.

[quote] 'He's been bullying kids for many years,' Jeff, the boy's father, told The Detroit Free Press.

If he "bullied" one son, why would you think it'd be better with the other three? This family sounds difficult to say the least. The school district fired the coach to avoid a lawsuit. I wonder what the real story is.

by Anonymousreply 97November 21, 2019 10:32 AM

Jesus these people are animals.

by Anonymousreply 98November 21, 2019 10:46 AM

R97, wasn't the coach fired after he started ranting on Facebook right after being kicked out from the funeral? He acted extremely poorly and can only blame himself for getting fired.

I find it hard to understand how can anyone side with that cunt of a coach in any way.

by Anonymousreply 99November 21, 2019 11:23 AM

Maison?

by Anonymousreply 100November 21, 2019 11:24 AM

Someone needs to call Detective Olivia Benson. Or maybe Keith Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 101November 21, 2019 11:28 AM

R25 and R33, two of the biggest cunts on this thread that has more than its share of idiots (even for DL), blaming the parents for association with the Catholic Church, who reasonably assumed (and planned) that their son would be properly eulogized, and who then had to deal with an unwelcome guest who bullied his way into their son's funeral after being specifically told not to come.

And who are all the assholes "liking" the posts of these two other assholes? By the way, to all the simpletons saying "why sue?" the purpose of suing isn't merely money, its meant to be punitive, it's the only resource available to these parents, and I thoroughly applaud it. If the father of this poor kid had punched the priest (or the coach), which they both deserved, he would have been charged with assault.

I hope that they win this lawsuit against this revolting priest and the institution he represents. They deserve to win.

by Anonymousreply 102November 21, 2019 11:38 AM

Priest need to at very least have his tongue cut out.

Fine looking lad what a waste.

by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2019 11:48 AM

Now I wanna fuck the priest! I wanna show him how good it feels to have your butthole filled with thick, hard cock. (If he doesn’t already know.)

by Anonymousreply 104November 21, 2019 12:00 PM

Stay away from religion idiot mama

by Anonymousreply 105November 21, 2019 12:05 PM

If the boy weren't a "fine looking lad," but a chubby teenager, would his suicide have been more palatable?

by Anonymousreply 106November 21, 2019 12:07 PM

Maybe at college he wasn’t a star football player and he couldn’t take it

by Anonymousreply 107November 21, 2019 12:10 PM

The ONLY reason I’m interested in this story is because the boy was hot R106 . It’s similar to when a beautiful white blonde child goes missing - it’s a much more marketable story than if an ashy, black, nappy-headed child disappears.

by Anonymousreply 108November 21, 2019 12:11 PM

Drooling over a suicide? R108, isn't there some child porn site you can lurk on?

by Anonymousreply 109November 21, 2019 12:16 PM

[quote]There's also the Biblical teaching of pre-destimation. (sic)

That's not a Catholic tenet.

by Anonymousreply 110November 21, 2019 12:18 PM

My theory -- coach was a homophobic asshole, Maison was closeted and the combination of Catholicism and asshole coach and parental pressure and general pressure to be Mr. All american Football Hero Stud, plus possibly a crush or tryst that went badly in university. Also very likely comparing himself to his brothers, who are likely all pussy-hound casually homophobic fratboys. And yes, it's extra sad and interesting because he was a serious hottie.

by Anonymousreply 111November 21, 2019 12:40 PM

James 1:26 "If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless."

1 John 2:9-10 "Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness. Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble."

1 John 4:8 "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."

1 Peter 4:8 "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."

John 4:11

"Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?"

by Anonymousreply 112November 21, 2019 12:42 PM

Toledo is not that competitive.

by Anonymousreply 113November 21, 2019 2:53 PM

Someone should have decked that fucking cunt mid sermon. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2019 3:06 PM

[quote]“What we need to do for our son is we need to stand up for him now,” Linda Hullibarger told the Blade.

Not to throw salt on the wound, but...

It probably would have been more effective to stand up for him earlier while he was going through whatever difficulties he endured PRIOR to his killing himself.

It probably would have made sense to stand up for his brothers too who also has problems with this coach BEFORE he ever had to go through it in the first place.

Waiting until someone is dead to stand up for them is, as they say, too little, too late.

by Anonymousreply 115November 21, 2019 3:49 PM

R115, people with suicidal tendencies don't necessarily go around crying about killing themselves, so blaming the parents is totally idiotic, but what can you expect when you see what assholes in this thread keep repeatedly attacking the family. How do you know what the family did or didn't do with the coach during the years he bullied the brothers? It sounds like the coach was a well-known cunt and everyone at school, including the management, are generally fully aware of those kinds of teachers and coaches. And since he was fired soon after his Facebook rant it sounds like his behavior wasn't news to the school board but this time he finally crossed the line.

But, yes, keep blaming the family for the suicide, you're only showing what a deplorable piece of shit you are.

by Anonymousreply 116November 21, 2019 4:09 PM

r70 Priest aren't pedophiles. Pedophiles become priests so they can practice their pedophilia (and it is almost always on young boys).

by Anonymousreply 117November 21, 2019 4:21 PM

Philippinos are very conservative Catholics, the old school type. I’ve worked with a bunch of them and I can totally see all of them believing as this guy did. It’s really common for them to be homophobic too. It’s another country with the “macho men and masculinity rule all” syndrome. It doesn’t surprise me that a Philippino priest did this. The parents should have known his views before this, but maybe it didn’t come up before.

Two men from the congregation, including the father, should have gotten up at the first mention of suicide, gone up to the priest and said quietly but firmly, “That’s enough, Father,” and grabbed him by each elbow and walked him out. I’d love to see a Catholic priest get in a fistfight with the grieving family. That would really play well. My guess is he wouldn’t want to seem the bad guy and would leave quietly. If he didn’t, he would be to blame for every thing that happened after that point.

My guess is the family was afraid to tell him no, probably afraid they’d be run out if the church. Fuck that. Be run out then.

by Anonymousreply 118November 21, 2019 4:30 PM

In my lifetime, I've personally seen three waves of different priests. First, was the very old-school, hard-line priest heavy into deep Catholic theology and sticklers for scripture, sin, and repentance (mainly Irish, Spain, Italy). Second, for the briefest time, there was the younger, more modern American priests who made mass more relatable and were much less fire and brimstone. Now, the Catholic Church can't find many young American men who -- surprise, surprise -- desire a life of celibacy and priesthood, so they're recruiting priests from abroad (Vietnam, Africa, Philippines). Unfortunately, it seems more than a few are making a return to that more rigid Catholicism, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 119November 21, 2019 4:44 PM

A return to hard-ass Catholicism will just turn people off all the more and put another nail in that evil fucking church's coffin. If only Judaism and Islam were as self-destructive.

by Anonymousreply 120November 21, 2019 5:12 PM

[quote] Philippinos are very conservative Catholics, the old school type. I’ve worked with a bunch of them and I can totally see all of them believing as this guy did. It’s really common for them to be homophobic too. It’s another country with the “macho men and masculinity rule all” syndrome.

"Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte says he was once gay but 'cured myself'"

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he used to be gay but "cured" himself by marrying beautiful women, a claim that drew outrage from a human rights group.

Duterte was speaking to members of Tokyo's Filipino community last week when he mocked political opponent Sen. Antonio Trillanes. Duterte said a gay person told him Trillanes appeared to be gay, the Philippine website Rappler reported.

"I said, 'Are you sure?' They said, 'You ask any gay person who sees (him) move, they'll say he's gay,' " Duterte said. "No wonder. Good thing Trillanes and I are similar. But I cured myself."

Duterte said his ex-wife, Elizabeth Zimmerman, was the reason why, according to Rappler. Zimmerman was a flight attendant when they married in 1973. They split in 2000.

"When I began a relationship with Zimmerman, I said, this is it," Duterte told the crowd. "I became a man again."

Duterte's comments drew the ire of Jean Freedberg, the Human Rights Campaign's director of global partnerships.

“President Rodrigo Duterte’s outrageous remarks are just another attempt to divert attention from his administration’s long record against human rights,” Freedberg said. “Instead of making insulting and often nonsensical remarks about LGBTQ people and marginalized communities, it is high time that he takes action to end the well-documented human rights abuses committed by government and security forces officials across the Philippines."

CNN reported on the story, although its version cited Duterte's current partner, Honeylet Avanceña, for Duterte's commitment to women. Duterte and Avanceña have been linked since the 1990s, and they have a child together.

"I hated handsome men afterward," Duterte said. "I now prefer beautiful women."

Duterte has often used words that mean "gay" in his language to insult political foes. In 2016, Duterte used a homophobic slur to describe a U.S. envoy.

Duterte has waffled on his position on gay rights. He expressed acceptance of gays while running for the office he has held since June 2016. Rappler said that in March 2017, Duterte said marriage was only for a man and woman under Philippine law. By the end of the year, Duterte told an LGBTQ gathering that he thought the law could be changed to allow same-sex marriage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 21, 2019 6:11 PM

Thank you for posting that, R112.

People blame Christianity for what HUMANS do, but the truth is that if they actually PRACTICED their own doctrines, there wouldn't be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 122November 21, 2019 6:12 PM

R102 I certainly do not agree with you. I was a boy coming from a somewhat conservative Catholic family and growing up I saw what an evil institution the church was. The nuns and priests struck me as very unhappy people and I had no use for it but was still forced to go to mass. Now being an eldergay I have to tell you this was a very very long time ago. And the things priests said to me and them cruising in the Adonis!

For people to still go along with this nonsense is inconceivable to me. I understand their hurt and anger but Catholicism is what they signed up for and to sue the church for being the church is ludicrous. The only answer is to walk away and if Christianity is that important to you(though I have no idea why religion would be important to anyone but very old ladies) become an Episcopalian. To subject their children to the church and this coach when everyone knew how vile he was is inexplicable to me. Why don't they just sue Jesus himself, it makes just as much sense.

by Anonymousreply 123November 21, 2019 7:50 PM

Coach was probably boning the prettiest boys on the team.

by Anonymousreply 124November 21, 2019 7:56 PM

I’d LOVE to have footage of the coach “teaching” him some “plays and maneuvers.”

by Anonymousreply 125November 21, 2019 8:06 PM

Hmm.. R124.

I wonder if the coach was pissed because Maison rebuffed his advances?

There's no thing worse than a queen who has been SPURNED.

by Anonymousreply 126November 21, 2019 8:26 PM

The coach is just an asshole, stop trying to turn this poor dead kid into wank material.

by Anonymousreply 127November 21, 2019 8:34 PM

"People blame Christianity for what HUMANS do,"

R122, Christianity is, in fact, a manmade construct. It isn't science or nature; it's something dreamed up by men. I blame humans for both dreaming up Christianity and practicing it, based on their rules.

by Anonymousreply 128November 21, 2019 9:05 PM

This thread is relevant only to Catholics and Lapsed-Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 129November 21, 2019 9:11 PM

Catholicism is corrupt, but these people below are a true threat to politics in this country and abroad. Huge hypocrites. They've insidiously infiltrated politics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130November 21, 2019 10:53 PM

They're all horrible.

by Anonymousreply 131November 21, 2019 10:55 PM

Evangelicals are the bread and butter of Trump. At least I've never heard a Catholic priest explicitly endorse political candidates like it's apparently common with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 21, 2019 10:59 PM

I wonder how many poor kids have ended up committing suicide after being diddled by Catholic Priests?

by Anonymousreply 133November 21, 2019 11:37 PM

R106 of course not you twat.

by Anonymousreply 134November 22, 2019 12:12 AM

If that were my son I'd be in jail for assault or possibly murder.

by Anonymousreply 135November 22, 2019 12:35 AM

R127 I'm surprised no one has asked if the other sons are as hot yet.

by Anonymousreply 136November 22, 2019 1:34 AM

So why'd you say so, R103, you creepy cunt?

by Anonymousreply 137November 22, 2019 3:39 AM

^^^R106, directed at R134^^^

by Anonymousreply 138November 22, 2019 3:42 AM

[quote] two of the biggest cunts on this thread that has more than its share of idiots (even for DL), blaming the parents for association with the Catholic Church, who REASONABLY assumed (and planned) that their son would be properly eulogized

You are the “biggest cunt” here, R102 - and it seems in delusional denial. Wake up to the real world - nothing about Catholicism is “reasonable”. Believing that a “virgin” in the Middle East gave birth to the “Crotchfruit of GOD” is not “reasonable” - by any stretch. So the parents are delusional. And them asking a Catholic priest to “eulogise” and “celebrate” a suicidee (a notorious “sin” in the Church throughout all of its existence) - was also a [italic]delusional, irrational decision[/italic].

If they believe in completely irrational, anti-scientific things and knowingly (as adults) support an organisation that is internationally KNOWN to be a problematic, notorious CULT - then they're the cause of their own problems. No need to blame a Cult for your own delusional, adult decisions about supporting and hiring a Cult.

by Anonymousreply 139November 22, 2019 11:46 AM

[quote]Im not saying the kids suicide is anything but heartbreaking, but Im wondering if the parents are responsible for the kids actions. They seem overbearing and overprotective, Ive known parents like them.

Bitch, did you and the 7 people who WWed your post even SEE the fact that a teacher who was specifically asked not to attend did so anyway against their wishes, and then slammed them on Facebook? Or that the priest was asked to stop but kept doing so anyway?

This is so purely not the parents' fault that I can't imagine what kind of brain malfunction you and your friends have going on to make up a completely invented story, just so you can excuse what the teacher and the priest did.

I mean, you're making up fantasies so you can say these strangers who have no bearing on your life deserved what happened to them. What's wrong with you that you do something like that?

by Anonymousreply 140November 22, 2019 11:59 AM

[quote]It's possible he's mentally unstable with a personality disorder. The sad thing is someone had to die before he was fired.

In junior high school we had a psycho coach who had to break a kid's leg before he finally got fired from coaching, but not teaching. About five years later he finally got fired from teaching because he was caught looking at internet porn while in the classroom. All the while reports about him were ignored and kids who were hurt or groped were called liars. Sometimes it takes a LOT to get rid of a teacher who should have been fired years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 141November 22, 2019 12:03 PM

As bad as when people trash talk an ex. Which given a priest is involved isn't beyond the realm of the possible.

by Anonymousreply 142November 22, 2019 12:08 PM

R139 is absolutely right. And one of the unkindest people I've seen on this board. You are Trumpian in your style, chief. Big win.

by Anonymousreply 143November 22, 2019 12:10 PM

Lol, how am I "Trumpian in my style", R143? I'm being rational and realistic - not something you could generally describe White House politicians as :). As for being "unkind" - those parents support a notorious, problematic Cult so they're not "kind" either. Moreover, they insist on engaging in self-serving, delusional double-think ("we want to be Catholics but we don't want to process any Catholic rules that upset us!").

by Anonymousreply 144November 22, 2019 12:23 PM

[quote] 1 John 4:8 "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."

Cute, generic, hippy-esque quotes, R112. Except Catholicism is a tough Cult and believes that suicide is exactly contrary to “LOVE” - it’s both against the love of “Self” (and the “gift of live” from “god”) and the love “of thy neigbour”. Because a suicidee doens’t just hurt himself - he also permanently destroys his family and everyone who was close to him:

According to the theology of the Catholic Church, death by suicide is considered a grave matter, one of the elements required for mortal sin. The reason is that one's life is the property of God and a gift to the world, and to destroy that life is to wrongly assert dominion over what is God's and was held as despair over salvation. In points 2281 and 2325 of the CATECHISM it is stated: "2281 - Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely CONTRARY to the just LOVE of self. It likewise OFFENDS LOVE of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is CONTRARY TO LOVE for the living God.” "2325 - Suicide is seriously contrary to justice, hope, and charity. It is forbidden by the fifth commandment.”

Ten Commandments: “Thou shall honour thy father and they mother”. “Thou shalt not kill” [an innocent person, including yourself].

[quote] "Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law.

It seems "Catholics-lite" want to have their cake and eat it too. He wasn’t “speaking evil” - he was correctly stating the rules of the Catholic Church. Stating the rules is not “speaking evil”. And he was in a position to “judge” - because that’s what religious priests (and secular court judges) have to do in order to tell people if they're breaking the rules. If they'll never “judge” - do you expect them to “celebrate” or just 'shrug their shoulders and look the other way' when everyone is breaking the Cult’s rules? In that case, there’s no point for those rules to exist at all. Then just abolish ALL the Catholic rules - that way no one will be “judged”.

by Anonymousreply 145November 22, 2019 12:33 PM

^Oh, forgot, second paragraph ("According to the theology of the CC") should be in quotation marks, as I was quoting.

by Anonymousreply 146November 22, 2019 12:40 PM

Jerking off is blowing off “life” too. Have you ever tried that?

by Anonymousreply 147November 22, 2019 12:42 PM

On a slight tangent, I love priest porn. I was always jealous of my catholic childhood friends that got to go to catechism after school. They would tell me they had “fun” with the priest.

by Anonymousreply 148November 22, 2019 12:46 PM

I have and I'm fine - because I'm agnostic, not Catholic. I'll leave all those ritualistic prohibitions and guilt-ridden remorse to the Catholics - they're great at self-flagellation and self-imposed misery.

by Anonymousreply 149November 22, 2019 12:46 PM

R145 = Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI and her Prada slippers

by Anonymousreply 150November 22, 2019 1:33 PM

I love Benny 16th - he's often over-dramatic in his finger-wagging and never fails to entertain. I remember him clutching his expensive pearls: "A world without God can ONLY be a world without MEANING! Western society is a society in which God is publicly ABSENT and in which He has NOTHING MORE to say to society!".

Mary! So he basically threw shade at the public, stating that "God" has "nothing more to say" to our 'sinful' Western society :). I think he was saying at least part of this in the context of abortions because he then went on to bemoan "society losing the measure of what is human life". Where is the poster again who said Catholicism is all about "love" and not "judging"? :)

by Anonymousreply 151November 22, 2019 2:00 PM

[quote]r114 As for being "unkind" - those parents support a notorious, problematic Cult so they're not "kind" either. Moreover, they insist on engaging in self-serving, delusional double-think ("we want to be Catholics but we don't want to process any Catholic rules that upset us!").

Well, you can't argue with that - -

by Anonymousreply 152November 23, 2019 3:24 AM

R134 get back to the basement.

Momma has ordered 6 pizzas, 8 liters of soda and 5 supersized Big Macs with a bucket of KFC for you, you fat fuck. .

by Anonymousreply 153November 23, 2019 3:24 PM

R139 seems to be stuck in the 1960s. Not only is it a reasonable assumption that a Catholic Church service be respectful of the person being eulogized, it's very often the case priests meet with the family to discuss the dead person in order to honor the person in a way that provides comfort to the family. And by the way, you asshole, I've been to two services of Catholic suicides and neither service was in any way disrespectful. And they were buried in Catholic cemeteries.

In this case, it was a fanatical Filipino priest, coming from a country that is blindly religious, and so it was his culture and upbringing that made him do what he did. He's been relieved of his funeral duties and in future is having his sermons checked over first. This proves this was not protocol for priests to be hateful toward a grieving family.

I should say I'm an atheist who grew up Catholic and despise Christianity as I despise Judaism, Islam, and all other religions, major and minor. But you're just a fucking douchebag, blaming the family for being Catholic while not saying one word against the priest.

To use a sturdy old Datalounge insult: die in a grease fire, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 154November 25, 2019 4:51 AM

If the family wanted a priest to speak only scripted lines and not preach any church teaching, they should have hired an actor to play one instead.

by Anonymousreply 155November 25, 2019 5:13 AM

Most priests are evil cunts, no surprise there.

The coach's actions suggest he molested this kid and was making sure no one would talk. I would bet money on that.

by Anonymousreply 156November 25, 2019 5:31 AM

It's not scripted lines, R155, it's a eulogy based on information about the person and his life based on what the family tells the priest. And preaching church teaching is not in any way a requirement in a eulogy at a funeral, you dumb gash.

by Anonymousreply 157November 25, 2019 5:33 AM

You can always find someone who will tell you only what you want to hear and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 158November 25, 2019 5:38 AM

Oh. What a shame the parents did not realize their religion is and always has been. Google search ya zombie death cult you fuckwits

by Anonymousreply 159November 25, 2019 5:41 AM

Most priests/preachers are sanctimonious pieces of shit.

I don't doubt these people claims. The preacher who preached my friends mothers funeral talked shit about her. That she drank, occasionally did drugs and slept with a good amount of men and was basically going to hell. He told to a small group instead of to the whole funeral home though. I overheard it but I wasn't about to tell my friend (who was having a hard enough time as it was) or any of her other family or close friends there because I knew it would make things even worse.

by Anonymousreply 160November 25, 2019 5:44 AM

"No sympathy for stupid trash"

You ought to know about stupid trash, except you don't, being stupid trash yourself, R159.

Troll at R158.

by Anonymousreply 161November 25, 2019 5:48 AM

[quote]r159 Oh. What a shame the parents did not realize their religion is and always has been. Google search ya zombie death cult you fuckwits — No sympathy for stupid trash

It would be so funny if the parents were suddenly excommunicated from the church.

Their heads would SPIN OFF.

by Anonymousreply 162November 25, 2019 5:59 AM

R162=troll trash

by Anonymousreply 163November 25, 2019 6:02 AM

^^ shut the fuck up and go drink some Jesus blood at communion, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 164November 25, 2019 6:04 AM

^^^As I said, human garbage, I'm an atheist. You fucking troll.

by Anonymousreply 165November 25, 2019 6:08 AM

^^^^ please choke on a communion wafer, while you're at it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 25, 2019 6:28 AM

I would say, R166, choke on a dick, but you don't get any dick, which is part of your problem, you unfuckable troll.

by Anonymousreply 167November 25, 2019 12:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!