Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Daily Mail website is now unusable

Since earlier this month they don't allow blockers and their ads and video popups now make it impossible to scroll down Whenever I'm on the site my entire, usually superfast computer (2019 chromebook) slows down to a crawl. Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2019 11:23 PM

Yes, I've had the same experience.

When I first disabled my blocker for that site, there was a "thank you for disabling" message, then exactly what you described. Even scrolling to read an article seems impossible. I don't think I've actually read anything there since.

Sadly, that seems to be the way things are going. The sites that refuse access with an ad blocker are the ones where you really need it.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2019 4:56 AM

Agreed r1. I'm just amazed at the effect the site now has on my whole computer. I habitually watch stuff in one window and check news sites in another, and as soon as I open the DM homepage now, the video stops dead and that entire window goes white - whether it's youtube or netflix. What is going on with the DM software that can do that to the whole computer? Never have had this problem with any other website, ever.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2019 5:12 AM

Why care? It's all fluff celebrity PR anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2019 5:16 AM

Yeah - it’s become unusable in the past few weeks. Now not only the automatic video on the bottom corner that consumes tons of memory- but also an ad that covers part of the screen and sticks in the middle of it when you scroll covering the actual content. Not sure what they are doing. Like the video in the lower right - it’s not advertising even, just adding video stories that I have no desire to watch WHILE I’m reading.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2019 5:24 AM

Yep, can't scroll.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2019 5:24 AM

Download the Daily Mail app on your phone. That works just fine.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2019 5:26 AM

How bout stop going to that conservative POS website

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2019 5:30 AM

The best thing about the app is there is near-zero ads and no horrible video pop-up.

r7, This is a discussion for people who read the DM online. If you do not read the DM, that's fine, but then your opinion here is irrelevant to the topic at hand. Scroll on by.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2019 5:42 AM

R6 - thanks for the tip. Never thought about that. Even though I hate it’s semi-conservative tilt, it’s the best mix of news, entertainment and viral videos around. They just figured out the perfect mix and presentation style for mindless distraction. (Other than DL of course)

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2019 5:45 AM

I'm also running Chrome OS, on an older netbox. I do have problems with Daily Fail, and weirdly (since it's a Google property), YouTube. Something about long running scripts, I think.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2019 6:15 AM

I'm having youtube problems as well, r10, aside from the DM. Suddenly it's taking forever for videos to load and then they buffer - long running scripts? How do you fix that?

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2019 7:06 AM

Try using AdGuard and Privacy Badger extensions in Chrome. I haven't noticed any difference in the past few weeks, and I use both of those extensions.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2019 7:09 AM

Try installing Ghostery. That worked for me. I am using Opera for my browser. I had to turn off Opera's built in ad blocker as well as my Adguard, but Ghostery has kept things pretty smooth.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2019 7:22 AM

Excellent suggestions r12 and r13

I'll try those - thanks to both of you

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2019 7:25 AM

Try using the Mozilla Firefox browser. That browser seems to handle Daily Mail okay.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2019 7:40 AM

The problem with Ghostery is that it breaks a lot of sites, and you have to continually adjust it until you find the right settings.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2019 11:14 AM

I stopped visiting the site, I am 'ok' with this outcome.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2019 11:22 AM

I don't miss the Daily Mail, in fact I find I have a brighter outlook not reading it anymore. All that negativity gets to you after awhile

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2019 12:13 PM

Never had that problem r16 and I've been using it for years. Not sure what you mean by "breaks" sites. Perhaps try it with Firefox or a different browser?

I like the DM because unlike American publications, they actually include more than one or two photos in an article. I go for the photos, cringe at the "journalism".

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2019 2:23 PM

Let's face it, DM is funny and shady / cheeky. They'll post a photo of someone who looks like a mess. The caption on the photo will be: "looking slim," "looking youthful," etc. American sites and magazines, like People, have no sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2019 4:24 PM

Same here, the site is a mess without adblock. Another thing that it seems to do is make my MacBookPro overheat and the fans kick in. I can watch movies on Youtube, and do a number of other things but if DM is loading the lappy starts to to overheat and slow down. I know DM is the devil but they seem to get big breaking stories before anyone with lots of pictures. In the same realm, I find that The Guardian is extremely beggy lately, I had to stop visiting. The pleas for donations take up more space than the stories.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2019 10:50 PM

That's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2019 10:52 PM

You can get an extension called Kitten Block that redirects you to a website called Tea & Kittens if you have the misfortune of clicking on a Daily Mail link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2019 10:54 PM

The only problem I have using an adblocker with the Daily Mail, is that it will not allow me to read the comments. Other than that I have no problems.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2019 10:56 PM

I never even heard of this rag until about 2015 when the Batlacan Spanish massacre took place. They were the first ones with results when all the other outlet still fact checking.

After awhile when one of those horrible massacre stories would occur it seemed that DM was up before everyone else. But it's a yellow journalism rag.

But recently I learned how rich in history this negative rag is. A DM writer, in typical sneering negative DM fashion coined the term Suffragette to make fun of the movement. They embraced the term and it became history.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2019 11:00 PM

I haven't gotten any request to disable my ad blocker, but the site started rendering poorly on Firefox many weeks back. I'm able to scroll with no problem but the farther down the page you get everything on the left side starts to get mangled (see C&P below).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2019 11:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!