Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Buy dental insurance or self-insure (go naked) if you're self-employed?

What is the thinking on this? Mine is $34 a month and I haven't had any dental problems in years, except for a crown I had to get because I bit into hard candy and broke a tooth. Am I just wasting money on this?

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 3:23 PM

Dental insurance and uninsured dental care are both more reasonable that medical care, so I don’t think either choice would be a disaster.

That said, $400 a year isn’t much. I’d keep it. Are you getting regular check ups and cleanings? Even if the only dental care you get is two cleanings, that plus the safety net is a decent deal for what you are paying. I had a root canal this month and it was about a grand so far. I only paid $200 so far.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 12:46 PM

Yes I get two checks ups and cleanings a year.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2019 12:47 PM

Don't. A couple cleanings a year wouldn't come to $400. And "expensive" dental work is usually just a few thousand dollars, which you can pay off in monthly installments. That way you can pay a monthly fee for service you actually GOT.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2019 1:57 PM

My employer (Federal government) never offered dental insurance (except as a self-paid add-on or as part of medical insurance, but with no employer contribution), so I've always purchased my own. Currently I have a Delta Dental HMO plan that's around $15/mo. Co-pays are pretty reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 3:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!