Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nastassja Kinski's performance in "Paris, Texas"

It's one that seems to be under-appreciated, or at least not discussed much. The movie as a whole is beautiful and devastating, but I think that her performance plays a significant role in what makes it so haunting. Her first "reunion" with Travis at the peepshow—unbeknownst to her, as she is behind a one-way mirror—is one of the most breathtaking scenes I've ever seen in a film. Part of this of course is the context and what has led up to it, but she evokes a playful innocence and pure despondency in that scene that is surprisingly heartbreaking. I've read that she wrote a journal from the point-of-view of her character while preparing for the role, and that seems to track onscreen. It is an exquisite scene, and it renders her the heart of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2021 5:28 AM

She was ok. Her beauty is superlative, and that’s the main thing.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 6:31 AM

Didn't she date her dad?

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2019 6:35 AM

That movie is boring as shit. Never got why it became a classic.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2019 6:37 AM

I just peeked in to see if the obligatory "MARY!" post was there. Hopefully, DL has now retired that worn-out expression.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 7:06 AM

[quote]Hopefully, DL has now retired that worn-out expression.

Are you kidding, Mary?

NEVER - EVER -

Please continue (talking about this borefest).

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 7:08 AM

I think that, more or less, only people who come from broken families are likely to find this film moving.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2019 7:16 AM

And, only if they can stay awake.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2019 7:24 AM

I liked Harry Dean Stanton. And it was nice to see Dean Stockwell still looking beautiful.

But Wenders never cast actresses well.

I recently rewatched Wings Of Desire, which was less lyrical, more New Age German naff. Peter Faulk’s earthy (hah!) charm was very necessary. But that pan faced leading lady on the trapeze was awful and undoubtedly fucking someone in production.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2019 7:24 AM

It was so good that it lulled me to sleep when I suffered from mild insomnia.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2019 9:41 AM

OP, I thought she was brilliant in this film. I think the scene between her and Harry Dean Stanton is one of the best in cinema, ever. Just incredible acting, writing, and directing. Kinski and Stanton should have received Oscar nominations.

I visited New York City a few years ago and bought a ticket to see Paris, Texas with a Q & A with Kinski. Of course, she canceled two days before. But I still attended the screening and I fell in love with the movie all over again.

This film and Tess are two of my favourite films.

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2021 5:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!