Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How the fuck can homeless people have phones?

I walked into a Toronto library this morning and there were five homeless people in the foyer and all of them had smartphones.

I work for a living and I can't afford an iPhone but two of these homeless people had them.

by Anonymousreply 132December 3, 2019 6:13 AM

They are not paying $3,000 a month for a studio apartment.

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2019 10:59 PM

But you have to have good credit and an address to get a phone like that.

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2019 11:01 PM

They have directv subscriptions too.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2019 11:02 PM

They probably found the phones somewhere and use the wifi in the library without actually paying for phone service.

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2019 11:03 PM

You’re talking about 2 tin cans and a string, right?

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2019 11:10 PM

We're sending you our homeless, OP.

They have Obamaphones.

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2019 11:16 PM

I see homeless people on their laptops sitting under the palm trees on the neutral ground in New Orleans. They look like a scene in a New Yorker cartoon. They each have their own palm tree with a little towel to sit on and they are typing away. Probably all on DL.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2019 11:17 PM

Even homeless, they're still better than you.

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2019 11:23 PM

I've seen mothers with their countless spawn waiting in line at a soup kitchen who were chatting on their iphones. I'm sure they also had cable television; probably a Disney subscription also.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2019 11:38 PM

And then poor OP stood in line at the grocery vendor waiting politely, caneless and capeless, behind a welfare queen buying lobsta and and and steak and Champaigle too with food stamps!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2019 11:46 PM

They are likely not homeless if they have phones, OP.

In Europe there is a cottage industry street beggars who are then picked up in a car, often an expensive car, at the end of their shift. Often they are Roma.

Here is a pregnant beggar in San Diego driving off in a Benz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2019 11:47 PM

OP, my guess is that they were donated. My sister once donated an iPad to a kid with cancer so she could occupy herself while alone in her hospital bed. Her mom had to work, because they were very poor.

Old versions of iPhones are pretty cheap, actually.

I had a poor friend. He kept telling me to call him, he got pretty angry if I did not, but he never called me. I’m guessing, but I suspect his phone plan was free for incoming calls but he had limited minutes for outgoing calls. I know he ran out of minutes occasionally.

They sell those cards with phone minutes in convenience stores, for people who can’t afford monthly plans. They might use those. Being homeless does not mean being penniless.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2019 12:01 AM

And how dare these people wearing Prada while working with other poor people! Sure, there’s no stripe, but still...what kind of message are you sending by wearing nice clothes? Hmmmn??????

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2019 12:08 AM

OP: Give the homeless a fucking break. Do you know how difficult it is to live your life without a phone? The homeless have nothing. Don't begrudge them a goddamn phone. There are no phone booths anymore.

How do the homeless get messages...check on a potential job or possible apartment...have family members reach them if that's at all possible...call a doctor, a social worker or a homeless shelter? The homeless have nothing. Leave them alone...or donate to homeless shelters or volunteer at a soup kitchen and realize how tough life can be.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2019 12:10 AM

You could afford the best phone OP, if you didn't have rent/mortgage payments and no utilities. Consider it.

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2019 12:14 AM

Weirdly this frau clutching her phone accosted me in the store parking lot to ask me for a dollar as she and her (out of sight) daughter had run out of gas and could I help cos she had run out of cash and the station credit card reader wasn't working. Unfortunately for me I failed to produce the required dollar within the required time and looked at her as I was analysing all this unwelcome information which had just been visited on me and quick as a flash she gave me a death-stare and snapped, "I'm not a hooker!" She was an adequately dressed beggar woman with a phone: I assume the cleanish clothes and the phone make her plausible with the suckers who give her money. Not too smart tho: a few months later she tried it again on me in the same place and I simply told her to try another parking lot as this was becoming repetitive; she was annoyed but this time didn't snap, "I'm not a hooker!"

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2019 12:15 AM

The beggars use a story to elicit donations but also to save just a shred of dignity.

I once was without cash at the subway station and needed to make an important call. This was before cel phones. I was dressed in business casual. So I asked a few strangers for a quarter. A guy finally volunteered a dollar but did so with a bit of a sneer. Perhaps OP ought to experiment by begging in the supermarket parking lot for a half day? Seriously. Then report back. Maybe you could have a friend discreetly film it? You might make enough to buy an iPhone and learn some humility.

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 12:26 AM

Some homeless had those items before they became homeless. Some of them own donated phones, tablets, and laptops. Some of them save up the money they've been given and buy TracPhones. Some may have stolen them. Some have "Obama phones" that are paid for by cellular service providers out of their profits, via the Universal Service Fund.

Some homeless people receive retirement checks or SSDI, neither of which will even cover renting a room here. General Relief is an even more paltry amount. Since rent and utilities aren't being paid, some of that $ can be saved up and used to purchase a cheap smartphone- the one I'm typing this on only cost $170.

Just like everyone else, homeless people feel lonely, need to make phone calls, and get bored. If they didn't steal them from you, why do you care if they have phones?

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 12:28 AM

[quote]I'm sure they also had cable television; probably a Disney subscription also.

I'm sure you're confusing "homeless" with "low income."

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 12:30 AM

Fuck you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 12:32 AM

They give out free phones with unlimited text and phone calls to the very poor. It is part of the lifeline program.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 12:32 AM

In some communities, there are programs that work with non-profits to provide donated phones and a very basic call plan to homeless people so they can reintroduce themselves to society, maintain social support networks, seek employment, and coordinate medical care. The cost to society is nothing compared to tRump's tax breaks for the obscenely rich.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 12:34 AM

Free everything for everybody. The rich will pay.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2019 12:34 AM

[quote]They give out free phones with unlimited text and phone calls to the very poor. It is part of the lifeline program.

Lifeline is one of the "Obama phone" programs paid for by cellular providers. They charge us a small fee on our bills (designated as "USF") and use that money to fund not only cellphones, but also internet access at public libraries.

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2019 12:38 AM

R23 Fucking right. Unless you're filthy rich in which case the chickens will have come home to roost. Bitch you gonna be paying.

Warren 2020

or Bernie

or Pete

or Biden if I hold my nose

Or my unemployed stoner brother-in-law

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2019 12:41 AM

A reminder that the “Obama phone” program was started by his predecessor, George Bush, and originally was for land lines.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2019 12:42 AM

One needs an address and good credit to have a working cell phone? Since when?

by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2019 12:42 AM

Prince Harry sends his message of support.

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2019 12:43 AM

My mother assumes they just clubbed an elderly person over the head for theirs...at least she keeps repeating that to me since the spare room is free again.

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2019 12:45 AM

R29 Is that you Norman?

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2019 12:46 AM

Couldn't they just be on a pre-paid plan? Now, I live in Canada where we have astronomical cell phone bills, but when I was in the USA this summer I bought a sim card and a pre-paid plan and it was so damn cheap compared to what I could get in Canada. Not sure how Canadian homeless people can afford it, though.

I guess they must use the library to charge their phones!

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2019 12:47 AM

Oh, get a grip. Older iPhones are cheap, just a couple hundred, and you can get a plan with Virgin mobile for $35 a month. That's what I had for several years. One day when I was out and about in raggedy clothes because I was helping someone move, I was using my phone in public and this bitch saw me and started yelling about the fact that I had an iPhone and was obviously unemployed, which I'm not. So take your judgment and shove it. Everyone needs to have a phone these days, and Tracfones are cheap as dirt.

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2019 12:47 AM

[quote] Not sure how Canadian homeless people can afford it, though.

In Canada they are given out as part of universal health care.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2019 12:49 AM

R26 Thanks for reminding these people this was originally a bipartisan initiative in the US.

And another reminder that it's a fucking lifeline for the most vulnerable so some of you people need to relax your cheap and greedy privileged asses. It costs you pennies per month to save lives.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2019 12:51 AM

R34 I don't equate people yabbering on the phone to "saving a life".

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2019 12:52 AM

Why are you upset about this, OP? You don't know how they acquired the phone. They may have become recently homeless and already owned the phone; they may have been gifted the phone by a friend/loved one; they could have traded goods/services for it; or they could have saved up the money they've earned to buy it. Besides, many jobs (even basic minimum wage jobs) require the job applicant/employee list a phone number where they can be reached. For all you know, this is one of the reasons why they have a phone. You sound like one of the people that get upset about the poor having anything considered a "luxury".

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2019 12:59 AM

Yeah - I've noticed quite a few homeless with cell phones. I've caught them charging up at an open outlet outside restaurants and other establishments.

It's not that they have a phone - it's how do they pay for monthly service? I don't begrudge them a phone - not at all. But it's baffling how they could afford service.

I don't think those free phone programs are THAT widespread - otherwise it wouldn't be noteworthy. All homeless would have them.

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2019 1:01 AM

[quote]I don't think those free phone programs are THAT widespread - otherwise it wouldn't be noteworthy. All homeless would have them.

Homeless people often have their electronucs stolen by other people, not all of whom are also homeless. I once saw a teen boy smack a pgone right out of a homeless guy's hand and run off with it.

by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2019 1:05 AM

You can still buy pretty good phones that will accept prepaid cards R37 or they're in a program that gives them a certain amount of time/data a month. Also, there's always wifi.

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2019 1:06 AM

OP also saw a Asian pooping in a public park. Couldn’t tell if the crapper was cut or not because those people squat really low.

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2019 2:59 AM

Yes, r31, they do charge their phones in the library. I remember recently that was an issue in Boston, but don’t recall if they wanted to facilitate it, or stop it.

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2019 3:25 AM

Go to India where there are more Iphones than toilets.

The Indians value an iPhone than a hole in the ground in which to deposit their body's excreta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2019 3:37 AM

That's right, OP.

EVERY homeless person is secretly rich and trying to get you to pay for them.

EVERY person on any type of public assistance programs is a welfare cheat.

EVERY person is just lazy and wants hardworking people like you to pay for their extravagant lifestyles of caviar and champagne.

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2019 3:40 AM

Oh come on people ! OP has a valid point . Besides that,who in the fuck are they talking to anyway ? if they had friends would their asses be sleeping on the street ? Im all for feeding someone,even putting a roof over their head,but a fucking i-phone is NOT a survival tool. It also pisses me off that they get free fucking cable when Im paying $200 a month .

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2019 3:45 AM

You don 't begrudge me 10 yachts but you piss your pant's over a "poor" person with a $100.00 dollar mobile phone, You are one fucked up dude OP.

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2019 3:47 AM

OP, are the type who also put "no homeless" on their Grindr profile?

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2019 3:49 AM

R44, if they get free cable, it is because they can’t get a broadcast signal, and the cable plan is basic cable containing only the lower 12 channels, plus public access channels and a few others. Mine costs $9 a month.

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2019 3:49 AM

Are you the type..

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2019 3:50 AM

r14 - I was on a board 5 years ago where a woman ranted than computers and cell phones were not required for job seekers - go to the library and when you are kicked off after half and hour, wait around until it is free again! Knock of your neighbour's door and borrow their devices and WiFi!

What a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2019 3:55 AM

Rich people have grifted our country of most of its wealth and resources. They've hoarded so much wealth 90% of us fight over 5% of the wealth but BY ALL MEANS lets go after the poor and homeless. WHO CARES where they go the phones?

The Rich could take your job, make you work at another job for 1/400th the pay, openly laugh and mock most of you and you'd all still carry their water.

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2019 3:55 AM

OP saw a Slavic woman shining random door knobs that we’re not her own. He threw her a bag of spaghettios he keeps handy in his NPR tote.

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2019 3:56 AM

r44 - so they sell their old homeless iPhone for $300 and spend $100 on a flip phone? Not worth it for $200.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2019 3:57 AM

OP must be 95 years old. Phones are a commodity now. Any used smart phone more than a few years old is cheap, and they can be used with monthly pre-paid plans. Stop being so petty, OP.

by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2019 3:58 AM

OP saw a slattenly Unitarian stealing change out of the mall fountain - the good mall fountain!

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2019 4:03 AM

I really wanted to use slattern, but “Unitarian Slattern” is just bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2019 4:07 AM

How the fuck can pudgy old men ordering flaming rum punch have wings?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2019 4:10 AM

This thread reeks of cheap Russian vodka and pee.

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2019 4:12 AM

They may just be hipsters op.

by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2019 4:17 AM

Reach out and touch some hobo

by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2019 4:24 AM

R59, we’re still working on not touching the hair of people of color. You’re ruining years of work. Good job grizzled cunt.

by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2019 4:33 AM

Op has a sensible query about where his tax-money is being used.

by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2019 4:36 AM

Sometimes I think DL is populated by either teenage morons or uber rich whites so out of touch with reality they'd ask a stupid question like that.

Homeless means someone has no home. Many homeless people even work but won't or can't afford an apartment. How dim are you OP?

by Anonymousreply 62November 19, 2019 4:38 AM

OP, they take your tax dollars and give it to the homeless so that they can get those fancy phones. There are many jobs and services available for the homeless. And I don't mind giving a helping hand. But it's gotten to where a lot of them don't want to work, want to do drugs, and don't want help. Those are the ones that piss me off.

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2019 4:59 AM

[quote]so that they can get those fancy phones.

Here's some of your "fancy phones", asswipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2019 5:08 AM

All the African migrants have phones too. Yet they are still begging.

by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2019 5:09 AM

[R13], doan mean sheeit if it's *last* year's.

by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2019 5:11 AM

With minimum wage at 13 bucks an hr. here in Chicago. Everyone and their masters could afford iPhones and the latest android offerings.

by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2019 5:11 AM

[quote] A reminder that the “Obama phone” program was started by his predecessor, George Bush

It began under Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2019 5:13 AM

Google tells me 1% of homeless in Toronto are young. 850 to 2,000 of them are homeless on any given night in Toronto.

What is Justin Blackface Trudeau doing about this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2019 5:27 AM

R50 is the only comment you need to read in this thread if you're a thinking person.

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2019 5:27 AM

Yes, we need crying persons as well as thinking persons.

But who will pay the bills?

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2019 5:31 AM

I got a free cheap, phone from trackphone and I pay $20. , every three months for airtime.

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2019 5:36 AM

In my experience, homeless folk can be quite resourceful in getting the necessities, i.e., drugs, and phones are a means to that end.

by Anonymousreply 73November 19, 2019 5:38 AM

R73 Do you spend much time with these 'homeless folk'?

by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2019 5:42 AM

I'm hoping to upgrade to the Galaxy S11.

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2019 5:45 AM

What is Justin Blackface Trudeau doing about his people?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2019 5:59 AM

Other than fact they are not permanently domiciled, you know nothing about a homeless person.

This may come as a shock to you dear, but a good number of homeless persons actually have money. Some work, others receive various checks (pension, annuity, social security, funds from a trust and or family, etc...); they either cannot afford local rents, and or for various reasons choose to live rough.

There are several homeless persons in my area at local bank branch all the time. Since they conduct teller transactions one must assume they have an account.

Now and then you hear about a homeless person dying with pretty hefty bank account. Here in NYC a homeless woman was arrested last year for spitting on people had $20k on her person.

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2019 6:40 AM

Well in that case, R77, I now have NIL sympathy for these panhandlers.

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2019 6:54 AM

A used iphone costs ZERO if a relative gave it to you. And a refurbished iPhone 6 or 6s from a reputable company costs $100-150.

Free Cell phones and service for the homeless are perhaps the most important service our government can provide to the homeless. It allows them to stay in contact with housing, medical care, job training, job applications and most importantly, their families.

by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2019 7:41 AM

You can get an iPhone 6 for $100 or less if it has some scratches. You can also get new Android smartphones, especially these Chinese phones, for $150-250. Lots of people also donate their old phones if they're too lazy to sell them or don't have kids or family. I'm more curious where they charge their phones. It must be a hassle to find a spot to charge it every day.

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2019 7:42 AM

A family member gives them a old phone and pays for a line for them. Or a sponsor at some type of shelter program. Why attack the people who are having a hard time? Where is the empathy? We want things to get better for everyone, not worse.

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2019 8:37 AM

A family member gives them a old phone and pays for a line for them. Or a sponsor at some type of shelter program. Why attack the people who are having a hard time? Where is the empathy? We want things to get better for everyone, not worse.

by Anonymousreply 82November 19, 2019 8:37 AM

A family member gives them a old phone and pays for a line for them. A dealer takes the old phone and repays with a line of coke.

by Anonymousreply 83November 19, 2019 8:55 AM

Many of the Africans I see in town are tall thin handsome street dealers (thus I see them). They live in public housing but are not allowed work permits. They dress well and have phones and must deal drugs and seem to have a stressful lives. I fantasize about them fucking me.

That's my contribution to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 84November 19, 2019 10:38 AM

I have a Samsung 7 inch tablet /phablet, it cost under $200. I have a free Google voice number and the Google voice app. on wifi my calls are free. I just assumed that the homeless had a similar thing going on.

by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2019 11:40 AM

How does this affect you?

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2019 12:17 PM

[quote]How do the homeless get messages...check on a potential job

Oh my sides!

by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2019 1:03 PM

He's going to dress up like a homeless person r68 and dance.

by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2019 1:45 PM

I talked to a low income individual about this. He said they're called Obama Phones - provided free from NYS or NYC, I don't know those details.

by Anonymousreply 89November 19, 2019 1:51 PM

W&W for R28.

Prince Harry and his Texting The Homeless Project. Free phones for those who qualify.

*bleep* "Meghan & myself just want you to know we're thinking of you and hope that you believe in yourself and that you can turn all of this negativity into positivity."

"What did he say?"

"I'm too weak from hunger to read the text Oh no, my fingers are going numb from being exposed to the cold for so long.."

by Anonymousreply 90November 19, 2019 2:04 PM

R89 Those Obama phones are only good for times when a homeless person would need to call 911. The phones offer maybe 45 minutes a week of talk time.

by Anonymousreply 91November 19, 2019 2:13 PM

Is Boris a concern troll now?

by Anonymousreply 92November 19, 2019 2:32 PM

R89 In Ca the Obama phones give you free unlimited talk and text.

by Anonymousreply 93November 19, 2019 8:13 PM

The Lifeline program was started by Reagan. Obama had nothing to do with it. It began as Lifeline for home phones as there were no cell phones. When cell phones became important to have the poor were given the choice of Lifeliine for their home phone or cell phone. Most chose a cell phone. The minutes are not unlimited. They are about 250 minutes a month. There is a separate limit for texts. I get how it got put on Obama. The GOP made people think that and then it became false common knowledge, but it was good old hate the poor, "Welfare Queen" Reagan who started the program.

Oh and for those here who begrudge the poor/homeless even this. Go fuck yourselves. I hope someday you are in that situation you evil bastards.

by Anonymousreply 94November 19, 2019 8:40 PM

So many more people for me to text R93!

by Anonymousreply 95November 19, 2019 8:40 PM

It's called the Democrats' Welfare State, and it's why this country is so divided politically.

by Anonymousreply 96November 19, 2019 8:43 PM

They definitely get free/unlimited, R94. And 2GB of data! And it's nice to know that you can pre-qualify if you're already on the dole!

"To be qualified for Lifeline, you must be currently enrolled in a qualified public assistance program (i.e. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA), Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit, etc.) or you can be qualified if your total annual household income is less than the qualified income guidelines."

Free Lifeline

Phone Service

Free - 2 GB Monthly Data

Free - 1000 Monthly Minutes

Free - Unlimited Texting

Free - Unlimited Calls to Select Countries

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 19, 2019 9:07 PM

Who wants to tell Granny/op that not every smartphone is an iPhone?

by Anonymousreply 98November 19, 2019 9:26 PM

why are you upset that people have phones? They need to call people and be abled to be reached via phone for emergencies, health and other essential city, state and federal services. The lack of empathy and stupidity in the US is frightening.

by Anonymousreply 99November 19, 2019 11:43 PM

Why do you godless socialists hate America?

by Anonymousreply 100November 20, 2019 12:02 AM

Racism was worse when I was a boy, true. But since Reagan, the disrespect and blaming and lack of care for the poor in the USA gets worse and worse. And since the mid 90s we've handed all the money over to a few people. The Waltons and Bezos are truly thrilled that you are underpaid and shilling garbage products flushing the USA ever further down a crap hole. God forbid a homeless person - and can you imagine how AWFUL that is - have a phone. And the rich pay no taxes. FABULOUS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101November 20, 2019 12:06 AM

R94 No Ca gives unlimited talk and text.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 20, 2019 12:38 AM

I think if my ass was sleeping on a sidewalk the LAST thing Id be worrying about would be a phone. Housing and feeding the poor is far more of a priority than internet access . Believe it or not,there are millions of people who arent online . Gasp !

by Anonymousreply 103November 20, 2019 2:00 AM

In America, if you qualify for food stamps or public health benefits, you qualify for a free phone and free monthly service. Lifeline is concept. Phones are basic (sucky cameras, limited storage) and definitely not iPhones.

by Anonymousreply 104November 20, 2019 2:04 AM

How the FUCK can there be Americans that are homeless, when we are a Wealthy Empire, and supposedly a Democracy?

by Anonymousreply 105November 20, 2019 2:37 AM

My God, what is wrong with most of you? Where are you writing from, that you are so hateful and disgusting? Get a grip. None of this is impacting you, none of it. Maybe a few cents on a phone bill...So what...? How do you know they are even homeless? You are just guessing, you fucking Okies and Fresno trash.

by Anonymousreply 106November 20, 2019 4:38 AM

R105 It is impacting me; my taxes pay for all the generosity you want me to hand over.

by Anonymousreply 107November 20, 2019 6:53 AM

r105 I hope you reserve the same indignation for the billionaires who just got a huge tax cut. Every time Republicans create outrage around benefits for the poor, a billionaire and multi-millionaire seem to get tax cuts. Incidentally, if you don't think you're in the same boat as the homeless, just wait until some new disease or old plague springs out of skid row in Los Angeles where tens of thousands of homeless now reside on the streets.

by Anonymousreply 108November 20, 2019 7:02 AM

Well, this thread became interesting.

The thing that annoyed me more about these homeless people having phones was the fact that they were co-coordinating where they were going to panhandle and meet up afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 109November 20, 2019 12:18 PM

Why does that annoy YOU?

by Anonymousreply 110November 20, 2019 12:23 PM

I'd much rather everyone have phone access than try and steal my phone to get access.

You're dumb, OP, and chintzy.

by Anonymousreply 111November 20, 2019 12:26 PM

R110 homeless people present themselves and are presented in the media, as being lonely needy people, when the reality is there are very well coordinated in their efforts to take money off stupid people.

R111 they may not steal your phone but they won't have any issues with beating your ass for not giving them money.

by Anonymousreply 112November 20, 2019 12:29 PM

You really can't change your tune, can you, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 20, 2019 12:31 PM

OP, they do NOTHING to you for having the smart phones. Again, NOTHING. The billionaire Plutocrats do affect your life. Slag on the, for a change.

by Anonymousreply 114November 20, 2019 12:34 PM

R114 the billionaire plutocrats don't follow me in a parking lot telling me that it's not fair that I have money for groceries but won't give them any money.

The billionaire plutocrats don't bang on my car window at red lights and hold up a sign telling me how poor they are.

The billionaire plutocrats don't spill my recycle bin on the sidewalk looking for cans.

by Anonymousreply 115November 20, 2019 12:39 PM

I have a friend IRL who hates the homeless as much as OP/r115. He's literally terrified of them, and will cross the street to avoid one. He actually drove his car into oncoming traffic to get away from a homeless man. Fortunately, we were almost stopped and no accident ensued. The pathology is impressive nonetheless (my friend's, not the homeless people's).

I used to give a dollar to the same homeless guy every now and then. No big deal for me.

by Anonymousreply 116November 20, 2019 12:45 PM

Nice EST R116.

You have no friends. You're from the iPhone you stole from a Karen who was fishing out a $5 bill from her wallet.

by Anonymousreply 117November 20, 2019 12:47 PM

Except...no, r117.

by Anonymousreply 118November 20, 2019 12:48 PM

People that harp on how mad I should be at billionaires!! and their tax cuts!! don’t recognize that as someone who is solidly middle class, I don’t benefit from either government handout: I’m not ultra wealthy, and I’m not poor enough/won’t game the system to get the handouts.

It’s a stupid polarized world and the middle gets the squeeze. What’s a few cents? What’s a few cents? What’s a few cents?

The government and it’s bleeding heart enablers are just as bad as the homeless. Spare some change? Can you spare a dollar? Spare some change....?

by Anonymousreply 119November 20, 2019 1:53 PM

I'm going to quit my job and live on the streets so I too can game the system and get me a free iPhone 5S!!

by Anonymousreply 120November 20, 2019 2:17 PM

Maybe you are jealous of a person, who is homeless, because they have more ethics and integrity than you?

by Anonymousreply 121November 22, 2019 5:27 AM

r119 Curious, Mr. Middle class, do you take a home mortgage deduction on your taxes? apparently thats the most popular middle class welfare program in the country.

by Anonymousreply 122November 26, 2019 3:50 AM

^^^R122 is spot fucking on. I readily take the deduction but to deny it's a socialized subsidy to the bourgeoisie is to deny facts and reality.

by Anonymousreply 123November 26, 2019 3:56 AM

No, R122. My husband and I are renters because property taxes keep skyrocketing in Chicago and we're not confident to buy. We're also obvo childless, so no deductions there.

I also make too much to deduct my student loan interest payments (if you make $75k, you can't). We're also on track to donate ~$8,000 to charity this year. We donate because we want to, and that does not offset the standard deduction at all.

So no, we can't itemize shit. We file our W2s and take the standard deduction. Which, honestly, under the Trump tax plan saved us $5k in taxes compared to 2017 filing.

by Anonymousreply 124November 26, 2019 3:57 PM

I must be weird; I usually think, there but for grace, could be me. One serious illness could wipe out my savings. No job and no savings, equals, homeless. I dont know the homeless personally, seems the least I can do is not judge.

by Anonymousreply 125November 26, 2019 5:18 PM

they are humans and deserve democracy. Because so many people care about people.

by Anonymousreply 126November 27, 2019 2:57 AM

There are a lot of homeless on the subway and they smell so bad, I try to stay away too, you don't know what they have...

They say the homeless in CA have 3rd world dieases.

by Anonymousreply 127November 27, 2019 3:25 AM

Try living with no access to showers or soap or toothpaste or clean clothes/underwear or living on the street in all kinds of horrible conditions and see how long it takes before you stink and have 3rd world diseases.

by Anonymousreply 128November 27, 2019 11:16 PM

FUCK THE OP

by Anonymousreply 129November 27, 2019 11:18 PM

How the fuck can you have so much hate in your heart?

by Anonymousreply 130December 3, 2019 5:34 AM

Second hand iphone 5s can be found online cheap and those tracphone pay as you go cards to add minutes/data can be had for $10-20 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 131December 3, 2019 5:42 AM

Homeless people have people who care about them.

by Anonymousreply 132December 3, 2019 6:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!