Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you miss from your homeland?

For those of us who have changed countries what is the one (or two) things you miss the most.

I lived in the US for many years and Trader Joe's organic crunchy peanut butter is one thing I pack my checked baggage with, along with a few good bottles of California Cabernet.

I can get peanut butter in Germany but it is not so great. The best comes from the bio stores but still TJ's is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 175December 9, 2019 12:13 AM

I now live in London.

I miss going out for pancakes (have to make my own) and American breakfasts in general.

Bright blue skies in winter.

HOT summers.

Snow.

Friendly exchanges with strangers all day long (NYC).

FUNNY funny people...as opposed to smug cunts who THINK they're funny.

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2019 11:03 AM

I cannot imagine missing snow.

Maybe someone should open a panscakes restaurant in London. Paging Lisa Douglas.

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2019 11:58 AM

I’m surprised London doesn’t have some kind of popular pancake house; Amsterdam is a popular vacation spot for Brits, and it’s bursting at the seams with pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2019 12:34 PM

I love these types of threads. More please.

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2019 12:40 PM

As people wake up around the world I am sure there will be more R4.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2019 12:43 PM

[quote]I’m surprised London doesn’t have some kind of popular pancake house; Amsterdam is a popular vacation spot for Brits, and it’s bursting at the seams with pancakes.

They're mostly shit. We have Dutch pancakes places in London...but not American.

They opened an American one in Paris. The guy wrote a whole book about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2019 12:45 PM

Civility.

by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2019 12:46 PM

I miss the sunset

The blue azure sea

The warmth of the people

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2019 12:50 PM

I miss the breakfasts. Every country has unique food of course, but breakfast seems to retain its national if not regional eccentricities the most. And then I miss the green countryside, esp. trees (not the allergies that came with it though) .

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2019 12:56 PM

I live outside the U.S., mostly in the U.K. As for breakfast, I just make my own. Everything I need I can find in a store, but fun to go out with friends and try something new to eat.

The only real thing I miss from the U.S. is my friends and relatives. Sure, some visit from time to time, but I must travel to the U.S. to see the rest of them. Other than that, I'm good where I am. Oh, I definitely don't miss the guns in the U.S. and the high cost of medical treatment and prescriptions.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2019 1:11 PM

R9 where are you from and what breakfast do you miss?

Are you from Turkey living in Japan and miss Turkish breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2019 1:24 PM

I'm from Germany living in the US. I miss the good quality ingredients, the good bread, cheese, fresh or smoked sliced meats etc.

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2019 1:32 PM

This is a very cool idea for a thread!

I'm not in a different country, but I moved from a midwestern area of the US to a more western one and am surprised at how much even that has changed, both in experience/mood/people around me and in the types of things I can or cannot get at stores and markets here.

So I can imagine being in a completely different country or on a different continent makes an even bigger difference.

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2019 1:38 PM

[quote]I'm from Germany living in the US. I miss the good quality ingredients, the good bread, cheese, fresh or smoked sliced meats etc.

don't places like Whole Foods sell quality foods?

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2019 2:31 PM

[quote]I cannot imagine missing snow.

Snow is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2019 2:33 PM

[quote]Snow is beautiful.

DLers seem to hate it.

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2019 2:37 PM

r14, they - kinda - do. But one thing is that the food caters to the local, national US taste. So it's not the same. The spices are different. Bread is softer and sweeter etc. The other thing is that other nations simply know better how they do their traditional food. Just compare fresh gouda cheese from Amsterdam with gouda cheese at Whole Foods. Not the same.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2019 2:56 PM

[quote] I'm from Germany living in the US

May I ask where? There are some very good German grocers/delis/butchers here, but they are not everywhere, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2019 3:06 PM

My original face and body.

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2019 3:07 PM

[quote]This is a very cool idea for a thread!

Yes, but it would be much better if people identified where their "homeland" is and where they are now.

by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2019 3:54 PM

[quote] The best comes from the bio stores

What the hell is a "bio store?"

by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2019 3:55 PM

I think bio means organic.

by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2019 3:56 PM

Pussy! I married a man here to get citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2019 3:57 PM

There have already been several threads on this OP. Would it have killed you to have done a search first before you posted this? I mean really? What’s wrong with having a little consideration for others and doing a search first? Would it really have been that hard? Would it?

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2019 4:03 PM

Democracy.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2019 4:37 PM

This may be out of date, and it's about one part of the US rather than about moving from one country to another, but a long time ago my brother, raised in the NE, moved to Los Angeles and claimed he couldn't get a decent frank on a bun.

They had them, he said. But they didn't taste right or something.

I didn't believe him, by the way, but there it is.

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2019 4:55 PM

R24 Please leap head first into a grease fire. We're all so tired of your shit.

by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2019 4:57 PM

What difference does it make if there are "already several threads" whenf we happen on this one? People come here to see what's being talked about and to take part if something attracts them. We're not going to do a search first if we see something we like.

And this is purely anecdotal, but I don't recall ever seeing another thread on this topic.

by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2019 5:00 PM

r27 r28 He's a troll. I put him on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2019 5:02 PM

R28 There is no other thread, hon. That troll copies and pastes the same thing on every thread, and then laughs itself silly.

by Anonymousreply 30November 17, 2019 5:03 PM

r26 When I moved from California to DC in 1978 I experienced some of that. For one thing, the butter was a different size! (Remember back then there was a lot more regionalism in food production.) Different brands of things like jams and jellies, potato chips, bread, milk. And the thing I missed the most? See's Candies!

by Anonymousreply 31November 17, 2019 5:04 PM

Foreskins

by Anonymousreply 32November 17, 2019 5:06 PM

R19 you must be shopping at 7-11 if you can't find all that you stated. Even here in the Podunk deep South I can get all of that at my grocery in the bakery or deli and they have cheeses from all over. Perhaps stop shopping at Dollar tree and find all that good stuff you want. And please don't start with the squirt can cheese shit, virtually nobody buys it so don't even bring it up.

by Anonymousreply 33November 17, 2019 5:22 PM

R33 So Vairst Letty's original face and body are at the Dollar Tree?

by Anonymousreply 34November 17, 2019 5:26 PM

[quote]When I moved from California to DC in 1978 I experienced some of that. For one thing, the butter was a different size!

There's west coast butter (shorter, fatter) and east coast butter (longer, skinnier). My dishes were made in California, and east coast butter is too long for them. I buy west coast butter at Whole Foods. It's the only place I can find it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 17, 2019 5:47 PM

Italy to the US.

I could write paragraphs about the things I miss but what I miss the most is the food.

I agree with the other Euro posters here. The produce, the meats, vegetables, cheeses, breads are awful compared to the quality in Europe. Yes, you can get pretty good stuff if you search, but you have to pay a fortune.

Anyway, I'll be going back soon.

by Anonymousreply 36November 17, 2019 5:49 PM

I agree with R36. I spent some of my youth in Italy, and I remember the breakfasts as being extremely tasty. It was a bygone time, and Lina (the maid) made the toast by placing the slices of bread onto a grill with a kind of iron thing to hold them down. And the scrambled eggs were unbelievably yellow and delicious.

My mother made a point of getting in tiny ravioli, which I loved, from the little groceries with the colored plastic strips hanging down in the doorways. They have ravioletti here, but they're not as good.

by Anonymousreply 37November 17, 2019 6:00 PM

R17 In my town in Italy I go the the fresh pasta shop (we have two) and get ravioli that were made that morning. The dough is rolled out, fresh ricotta... and they are not refrigerated. They are made fresh in the morning and in the afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 38November 17, 2019 6:12 PM

^ meant for R37

by Anonymousreply 39November 17, 2019 6:13 PM

[quote][R17] In my town in Italy I go the the fresh pasta shop (we have two) and get ravioli that were made that morning. The dough is rolled out, fresh ricotta... and they are not refrigerated. They are made fresh in the morning and in the afternoon.

I used to live in the Italian section of The West Village (NYC) where I did exactly the same. I think those places are gone now. Replaced by fancy restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 40November 17, 2019 6:17 PM

That tiny ravioli sounds good, especially for a child. I can see why you'd miss that.

What was inside the ravioli? Cheese? What kind of sauce? Tomato, cream, olive oil?

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 41November 17, 2019 6:40 PM

I will say, though, that one thing we couldn't get in Italy--or at least where we were living--was the kind of dessert stuff we were used to in the US. Layer cake, for instance. And the gelato came in little pops, barely three bits' worth.

But on the street there were cocoanut sellers. You could buy a thin slice for just 10 lire, and munch on it as you strolled.

The raviolini: inside was cheese, or some meat thing. And the sauce was whatever Lina prepared, usually just tomato. A marinara, I suppose.

Kids love miniatures, so the raviolini was the best way to get us to eat. And, as another poster says, they were made fresh. You bought them virtually off the shelf where they had been placed just minutes before, ready to cook. Italy was like another world to us.

Of course, it IS another world. But we were kids, so we had no perspective.

by Anonymousreply 42November 17, 2019 6:44 PM

^^three *bites* worth

by Anonymousreply 43November 17, 2019 6:50 PM

So is west coast butter like French butter?

by Anonymousreply 44November 17, 2019 6:51 PM

In my family's homeland, people tend to be friendlier and more family-oriented. And the people aren't super obese. That's about all I miss.

by Anonymousreply 45November 17, 2019 7:00 PM

At a hotel, I once had a breakfast of charcuterie and cheeses and bread. I'm guessing that is what a German breakfast is like. It really was an impressive breakfast, but not something I could eat every day (not much fiber, too many calories).

by Anonymousreply 46November 17, 2019 7:00 PM

[quote]At a hotel, I once had a breakfast of charcuterie and cheeses and bread. I'm guessing that is what a German breakfast is like. It really was an impressive breakfast, but not something I could eat every day (not much fiber, too many calories).

You'd get bored of it in a week.

& longing for a good olde fashioned American breakfast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 17, 2019 7:03 PM

I'm American and I do not understand the love for pancakes as breakfast. Much prefer a savory breakfast (eggs) or a cereal (oats) to pancakes or waffles. IMO, seems like a baby-taster or "you type fat" thing.

by Anonymousreply 48November 17, 2019 7:09 PM

Pancakes, yes.

Waffles, NO!

by Anonymousreply 49November 17, 2019 7:20 PM

I moved from a Great Lakes city to a small New England city via the Big City. I miss the people--their friendliness, helpfulness, openness. I'm not even one who is all super open and outgoing, but I really dislike how actively unfriendly people are here, their terrible accents, their old people who talk of better days, and the young who can't wait to get out of here. I lived in the Big City for many years and found people funny, charming, sarcastic, creative, and humane. Making friends was easy. After almost four years I still don't think of anyone as a friend.

by Anonymousreply 50November 17, 2019 7:33 PM

[quote]I moved from a Great Lakes city to a small New England city via the Big City.

Why are you so elusive?

by Anonymousreply 51November 17, 2019 7:36 PM

I miss the warm climate throughout the year, the sun ripened fruit, bread that tastes like bread, the slow pace of things, the smiles and singing of the poorest of the poor who get by by helping each other out. I find America very cold in climate and personality. I miss taking a long time to get to know to someone and become lifelong friends. Obviously there are so many advantages to living here but I do miss the simple things.

by Anonymousreply 52November 17, 2019 7:44 PM

[quote] I find America very cold in climate and personality.

"America" is huge. There's North America, Central America, and South America. The United States (of America) is 3.797 million square miles or 6.11 million square kilometers.

by Anonymousreply 53November 17, 2019 7:49 PM

R51 I don't like to leave a trail when it comes to this subject. Small towns make you super nervous (paranoid even) about gossip and being identified.

by Anonymousreply 54November 17, 2019 7:51 PM

R53 New England. Sorry for stepping on your patriotic toes but this is how I feel, not you.

by Anonymousreply 55November 17, 2019 7:52 PM

Sorry, R55 , feeling bitchy today. I have heard New England is difficult. I hope you can find a circle of friends.

by Anonymousreply 56November 17, 2019 8:02 PM

R56 thank you

by Anonymousreply 57November 17, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote]I find America very cold in climate and personality.

Really? There are many hot/warm climate places in America and Americans are often very friendly - although often superficially so.

by Anonymousreply 58November 17, 2019 8:15 PM

Yes, it’s the superficiality that turns me off. It’s great at first but you eventually realize that it’s fake. Friendships don’t happen overnight, at least not for me.

by Anonymousreply 59November 17, 2019 8:19 PM

[quote]Yes, it’s the superficiality that turns me off. It’s great at first but you eventually realize that it’s fake. Friendships don’t happen overnight, at least not for me.

I agree. I couldn't believe the personal things Americans would say to me about themselves within 15 minutes of meeting them - especially the gurls.

by Anonymousreply 60November 17, 2019 8:23 PM

PINK’S, R26, Pink’s! Very yummy, and certainly comparable to anything else I’ve had anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 61November 17, 2019 8:24 PM

[quote] Even here in the Podunk deep South I can get all of that at my grocery in the bakery or deli and they have cheeses from all over.

r33, you are right - and yet it's not the same. Food that is distributed internationally may have the same brand name and manufacturer. But it's unlikely to be the same product. Kerrygold butter in the US is not the same you get in Europe. (I want to guess there are even variances within Europe). The same cheese brand will most likely have a different mix of ingredients required by local taste and food law. Brie for the US is made for long term refrigeration , lasts for months and enjoyed in fairly solid state. In France it is manufactured to run at room temperature and spoils faster because of differences in the manufacturing process. Diet Coke tastes differently in almost every country. Haribo Goldbears have different flavors because one of the original flavors (the green one) is outlawed in the EU now but not in the US. And where on earth in the US would you get bread of the awesomeness you can find in France or Germany? Disclaimer: I am not even arguing differences in quality, just differences in taste and manufacturing. Different markets have different needs, and manufacturers adjust to those needs.

by Anonymousreply 62November 17, 2019 10:27 PM

[quote] At a hotel, I once had a breakfast of charcuterie and cheeses and bread. I'm guessing that is what a German breakfast is like. It really was an impressive breakfast, but not something I could eat every day (not much fiber, too many calories).

German breakfasts usually have at least one kind of meat, often a weisswurst (sort of a very white bratwurst). But there are a mix of other European countries' influences as well - often French bread or croissants or a small German roll (a wecken) and some potatoes, often done "rosti" style.

by Anonymousreply 63November 17, 2019 10:32 PM

I love this thread. Here’s a related one from the opposite angle (what you love about your new country as opposed to your homeland).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 17, 2019 11:14 PM

[quote] No.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2019 1:42 AM

Sorry. That ^^ was for R44.

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2019 1:44 AM

R63 hat keine Ahnung 😂.

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2019 2:10 AM

R67 That's what the German people in my life told me. But Germany's a big country, just like America, so your experience may have been different.

by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[quote]But Germany's a big country, just like America

Just like America? Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 69November 18, 2019 3:36 AM

You're splitting hairs and missing my point.

Germany is a large country with many different subcultures. What the US often sees as "German" is Bavarian.

That would essentially be like everyone from around the world assuming that the entirety of the US is, say, a monster truck pull or, say, New Orleans. Those are part of the country, but not the whole deal.

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2019 3:39 AM

Du mich auch R68 😘

by Anonymousreply 71November 18, 2019 3:53 AM

Interesting how breakfast is a common thread. So true. What I miss most when I’m abroad is going to a diner and getting an omelet with home fries and toast. The idea of eating meat in the morning is unappetizing. The Dutch breakfast is horrible. Meats and cheeses - first thing in the morning - no. And the little cup of coffee - no.

by Anonymousreply 72November 18, 2019 4:14 AM

Living in Western Pennsylvania, I miss a nice pork roll, scrambled egg, and cheese sandwich on a hard roll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 18, 2019 4:59 AM

When I lived in Europe I got used to eating a croissant or some kind of sweet roll for breakfast with a caffé latte. I still now have toast with butter and jam (because I can't find good bakery rolls where I live). Eggs in the morning doesn't appeal to me.

by Anonymousreply 74November 18, 2019 6:03 AM

I am in Germany and it is breakfast time. I am in Berlin and not Bavaria so I am having fruit, yogurt and maybe some toast with good butter. There are many different German breakfasts but fruit and yogurt is my go to.

by Anonymousreply 75November 18, 2019 8:09 AM

I miss the humour! I lived for the first 25 years in New Zealand (specifically South Auckland) which even then was culturally mixed in my suburb. Your friends would have all types of background and all types of humour. It took a long time for me as a child to learn what was different and how it all worked but then I was off! Now if in my day I come across a south Aucklander we can have a little conversation that quickly leads to laughs. It doesn't happen often enough but is to be treasured.

by Anonymousreply 76November 18, 2019 9:10 AM

[quote]When I lived in Europe I got used to eating a croissant or some kind of sweet roll for breakfast

I remember being in Paris and not getting it - one delicate croissant would not fill me up, as I was used to heartier stuff, so I'd have two and maybe a pain au chocolat. You can imagine what I looked like when I got back to America.

by Anonymousreply 77November 18, 2019 11:40 AM

[quote]Now if in my day I come across a south Aucklander we can have a little conversation that quickly leads to laughs. It doesn't happen often enough but is to be treasured.

What sort of thing makes a south Aucklander laugh?

by Anonymousreply 78November 18, 2019 11:41 AM

In London now and a native New Yorker. I have found it more difficult to make friends here. People are more private. I also miss snow and blue skies. I see now why the British travel on holiday every chance they get. I do love the parks and the lower buildings, however. Most of the time it doesn’t feel too city-like to me and is slower paced which is nice. Guess you can’t have it all. I do have a gorgeous and kind British husband.. so that’s the plus.

by Anonymousreply 79November 18, 2019 12:29 PM

[quote] I do have a gorgeous and kind British husband.. so that’s the plus.

You bet, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 80November 18, 2019 12:37 PM

I miss the earrings

I miss the caftans

by Anonymousreply 81November 18, 2019 1:21 PM

[quote]The idea of eating meat in the morning is unappetizing.

Really? The standard American (and British, for that matter) breakfast nearly always includes ham, bacon, or sausage.

by Anonymousreply 82November 18, 2019 3:28 PM

[quote]Really? The standard American (and British, for that matter) breakfast nearly always includes ham, bacon, or sausage.

Maybe when they eat out - but I doubt it's "standard" I would have thought toast or cereal at home.

by Anonymousreply 83November 18, 2019 3:32 PM

Cereal, what are we 4 years old.

God no.

by Anonymousreply 84November 18, 2019 3:37 PM

Dicks bigger than a toadstool.

by Anonymousreply 85November 18, 2019 11:55 PM

Mrs Muriel, shut down this thread, now!

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2019 12:15 AM

Cereal can be muesli or something like that. It doesn't have to be Froot Loops or Frosted Flakes.

by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2019 12:53 AM

Muesli is dreadful as well. Who wants a mouth of we grain in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2019 9:07 AM

Plenty of people, Mary.

Not everyone is YOU.

by Anonymousreply 89November 19, 2019 9:15 AM

I've been in survival mode since the greatest cereal ever created was unceremoniously dumped: Frosted Mini Wheats (Big Bite)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 19, 2019 8:16 PM

Chinatown....

NY had a great chinatown with wonderful roast duck.

We have nothing like that in Germany

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2019 12:05 PM

R1 I know they eat pancakes in the Netherlands — even for dinner! So why can’t you get them in germany?

by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2019 12:13 PM

I lived in Germany for 8 years and the biggest thing I missed was decent Mexican food. Don't ever order Mexican food in Europe...it's shit.

I didn't like German food in general, but at least I learned to be a decent cook because of the lack of tasty convenience options. The pizza sucks there too.

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2019 12:15 PM

In Berlin we have some great pizza R93.

Germans making mexican is laughable. and horrible.

by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2019 12:38 PM

I live in the UK, but I am from the US originally. In the US I lived in the midwest (Chicago and Mpls), Denver, SoCal, and North Carolina.

Anyway, I've been in the UK for 6 years and will likely be here until I retire. I am 49YO. I miss good, fresh Mexican food and an occasional greasy spoon breakfast (as others above have said). I am really tired of "having a curry" as the default comfort food. I like Indian food, but only once in a while.

I also miss the extreme weather of the Midwest, oddly enough. Brits love to complain about the weather, but it's so bland it's barely worth mentioning.

I love a lot about living here. Have made really great friends, the travel opportunities are endless, and I feel like I have a better connection to the world in general than I ever did in the US.

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2019 12:41 PM

R63, who the hell eats Weißwurst for breakfast in Germany? I’m guessing you got the idea from this website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 21, 2019 12:47 PM

[quote][R1] I know they eat pancakes in the Netherlands — even for dinner! So why can’t you get them in germany?

Gurl, the first thing I said was that I'm in LONDON.

Dutch pancakes aren't the same as American breakfast pancakes and the few Dutch pancakes in London places are pretty rough. There are a few places in LONDON that try to make American pancakes for breakfast but they mostly the fail. It's actually much trickier than the Americans round here seem to think. In fact when I first became a DLer I posted about how I couldn't make them and had fantastic advice. About 50 posts, for which I'll be forever grateful. My pancakes are pretty top notch now. BUT even now, once in a while, I fuck them up.

I posted a link to the American in Paris who started an American breakfast place there and even wrote a book about it....called pancakes in Paris...see pic 2 @ link.

[quote] I miss good, fresh Mexican food

R95 - there are now a ton of American style Mexican places in London, but all pretty much on the Chipotle lines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 21, 2019 1:22 PM

Oh I'm sorry about that r97 -- I saw the thread on a phone and when I read it, OP and r1 blurred together.

by Anonymousreply 98November 21, 2019 9:04 PM

OP and I HATE pancakes. I have no desire for wet sweet dough in the morning or any other time.

by Anonymousreply 99November 21, 2019 9:43 PM

Pancakes aren't wet

by Anonymousreply 100November 21, 2019 9:50 PM

They are often wet with syrup or some other nasty concoction.

by Anonymousreply 101November 21, 2019 9:53 PM

Vegemite, meat pies and lamingtons.

by Anonymousreply 102November 21, 2019 10:05 PM

As a Brit living in the States, I miss British cream, eggs, and beef. I can find virtually anything else I miss from home. Despite buying the best organic dairy, and grass-fed beef, it doesn't taste as good as it does back home. Pastured eggs have become readily available, and they're quite close; definitely better than your average American eggs.

by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2019 10:31 PM

I agree that British dairy maybe the best in the world.

The fresh fruit and veg in the UK is generally better than Dutch and German, but nowhere near as good as France or Spain. I think it's difficult to source enough really fresh quality produce in London. Even organics at Wholefoods and Harrods organic section, I can't say I was blown away by the quality, it's only decent and the prices are just ridiculous. The best organic stuff I tried was from tiny country farms in places like Yorkshire. Getting enough healthy food relying on Sainsbury's or Tescos is challenging, but I think it can be done if you are logical.

I live in Australia. Despite how depleted the soils are, I find that Aussie fruit and veg quality is generally excellent. The farmers are great here. If you are willing to shop seasonally there is always terrific produce in abundance. Sometimes I'd find it hilarious to go to my little farmers market in Oz and see gourmet vegetables selling for pennies that are easily better than the fifty pounds per kilo "organic" stuff selling at Harrods.

by Anonymousreply 104November 22, 2019 2:09 AM

[quote]As a Brit living in the States, I miss British cream, eggs, and beef. I can find virtually anything else I miss from home.

I'm American but had a hard time finding golden syrup for a recipe. It's virtually unknown here, and there's no good substitute.

by Anonymousreply 105November 22, 2019 3:22 AM

Talking of Farmer's Markets in London - half that shit comes from fucking factory farms. I had "farm fresh eggs" from one that had the nastiest pallid yolks I've ever seen or tasted.

by Anonymousreply 106November 22, 2019 3:26 AM

[quote]I'm American but had a hard time finding golden syrup for a recipe. It's virtually unknown here, and there's no good substitute.

Any place that sells "British" stuff has it.

Talking of which, Tesco supermarket a few years ago had a generous American section. Mostly junk, but still...but it clearly it wasn't a hit and it's been reduced and reduced. They don't even have Root Beer anymore.

by Anonymousreply 107November 22, 2019 3:30 AM

Affordable decent chocolate

by Anonymousreply 108November 22, 2019 3:42 PM

This thread should be retitled "What food do you miss from your homeland?"

by Anonymousreply 109November 22, 2019 7:01 PM

People have mentioned other things than food, someone missed snow. If you read the whole thread you might be less inclined to much such an ignorant comment.

by Anonymousreply 110November 22, 2019 7:16 PM

Foreskins

by Anonymousreply 111November 22, 2019 8:08 PM

R110 a mention of snow amongst the LANDSLIDE of missing food posts makes the laser-sharp, astute retitling of this thread accurate, and not ignorant in the slightest.

I commend myself.

by Anonymousreply 112November 22, 2019 11:40 PM

R105 I've bought Lyle's on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 113November 23, 2019 6:10 PM

R112 Feel free, the rest of us think you are an ignorant fuck.

by Anonymousreply 114November 23, 2019 6:18 PM

R114 you and the voices in your head?

by Anonymousreply 115November 23, 2019 6:54 PM

Ok R109, fair enough. I miss parking spaces that are big enough to be able to actually get out of your car.

by Anonymousreply 116November 23, 2019 6:59 PM

[quote][R114] you and the voices in your head?

Exactly. Those "we" trolls with all their imaginary friends!

by Anonymousreply 117November 23, 2019 11:33 PM

r113 I ended up buying it at Cost Plus World Market. I hope it's the right kind for the recipe. (It's not even a British recipe--I hate it when American magazines print recipes with hard-to-find ingredients!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 24, 2019 4:16 AM

South Africa, R52?

by Anonymousreply 119November 24, 2019 6:17 AM

R118 That seems interesting, and lovely to look at in the picture. I'm not a fan of the American pecan pie, but this looks as if it may not be quite as sweet as that. If the syrup you bought was Golden, it's probably the same. Did it come in a tin? There's another brand that's somewhat popular back home that comes in a tin, but cannot recall the name. World Market has some great finds. Sometimes I can find the real Cadbury's Drinking chocolate there, amongst other treats! Let us know how it turns out.

by Anonymousreply 120November 24, 2019 6:38 AM

I miss being able to shop on Sundays.

by Anonymousreply 121November 24, 2019 6:54 AM

[quote]Tesco supermarket a few years ago had a generous American section. Mostly junk, but still...but it clearly it wasn't a hit and it's been reduced and reduced. They don't even have Root Beer anymore.

UK already has too many sweet and junky things. We Aussies have always loved American supermarket junk. Until quite recently we didn't get that much of it except for sodas, but now we do get quite a few things. A quite large selection of US candy is available, Hellmans mayo (which I love), A1 steak sauce which is better than HP on steak. Mrs. Fields is here, and Haagan Daaz and Ben & Jerry's although the latter is too sweet for me.

Quite recently, a US specialty food store opened near me and on the same block there was already a US car dealership, a bowling alley, and an American theme restaurant, it feels like little USA.

by Anonymousreply 122November 24, 2019 7:03 AM

r12, I remember when living in Germany, there was no freezer and everyone went to the market and bought fresh ingredients daily. You shopped for the day not some large cart of frozen goods for the entire week. I was quaint.

by Anonymousreply 123November 24, 2019 11:35 AM

r62, why is the green gummy bear outlawed. What did he do?

by Anonymousreply 124November 24, 2019 11:41 AM

R123 I shop for a day or maybe two at the most now. Fresh rules.

by Anonymousreply 125November 24, 2019 11:42 AM

R124 a banned chemical in his coloring.

by Anonymousreply 126November 24, 2019 11:45 AM

[quote]I remember when living in Germany, there was no freezer and everyone went to the market and bought fresh ingredients daily. You shopped for the day not some large cart of frozen goods for the entire week. I was quaint.

The large cities have shops open in the train stations on Sunday. It was a pain in the ass to have to go to the station for groceries. I have no idea what the small town folk do...guess they have gas stations if they're desperate.

by Anonymousreply 127November 24, 2019 2:41 PM

r120 This is what I ended up getting at World Market. It says "dessert" and it's in a plastic squeeze bottle. I hope it's the same thing the recipe calls for. I'm having a hard time differentiating among all of the different types of Lyle's Golden Syrup!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128November 24, 2019 8:14 PM

R119 yes, good catch. Cape Town is the most beautiful city on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 129November 24, 2019 8:35 PM

R128 - I think they're all the same, it's just the packaging that's different.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130November 24, 2019 8:37 PM

I lived in Berlin years ago (shortly before the wall came down). Any American food item could be procured from the stores on the US military base that was there. One of my roommates was dating a soldier and that is how I got onto the base.

by Anonymousreply 131November 24, 2019 9:13 PM

Pre-Catholic paganism and elaborate coliseums.

by Anonymousreply 132November 24, 2019 9:21 PM

R9 where in the US do you live?

by Anonymousreply 133November 24, 2019 10:17 PM

Is golden syrup like maple syrup? Or corn syrup?

by Anonymousreply 134November 24, 2019 10:30 PM

Peace and quiet.

by Anonymousreply 135November 24, 2019 10:49 PM

r134 I guess it's sort of like corn syrup, but it's made from sugar cane, not corn.

by Anonymousreply 136November 24, 2019 11:21 PM

I a also American born and raised, who the fuck eats pancakes anymore? It's child's food and it hasn't been popular since the 50's. 90% of Americans do not eat pancakes in the morning on any kind of regular basis. It's all carbs swimming in liquid sugar and whipped butter.

IHop (international House of Pancakes) and Applebees are closing down their restaurants by the dozen because no one eats that shit anymore.

And no, I am not a Millennial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 24, 2019 11:52 PM

Peanut butter is rather disgusting. Smells like old socks.

by Anonymousreply 138November 24, 2019 11:55 PM

[quote] who the hell eats Weißwurst for breakfast in Germany? I’m guessing you got the idea from this website

I got "that idea" from my BF, who grew up there.

But apparently, some FOTZE on this thread is under the belief that if some of the things I listed above didn't happen in HER part of Germany, it simply never, ever happened anywhere, because she knows all and sees all and is the expert on every single square inch of Germany.

We know, dear, we can smell the rotten fotze from here.

by Anonymousreply 139November 25, 2019 12:06 AM

[quote] [R9] where in the US do you live?

I live in San Diego and loving it. When I came here, people warned me that I would be missing the seasons at some point. Hasn't happened yet. Wouldn't mind a week of snow, and a bit more rain. But overall it can't be better than this.

by Anonymousreply 140November 25, 2019 12:42 AM

[quote] I live in San Diego and loving it. When I came here, people warned me that I would be missing the seasons at some point. Hasn't happened yet. Wouldn't mind a week of snow, and a bit more rain. But overall it can't be better than this

Plus all that Marine cock at Camp Pendleton!

by Anonymousreply 141November 25, 2019 12:45 AM

My constant ability to be nude.

by Anonymousreply 142November 25, 2019 12:56 AM

R140 I think you’re the German living in San Diego. Have you ever tried Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad? They have good German/European food & groceries. Whenever I pass through the area I grab some bratworst and good German mustard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 25, 2019 1:00 AM

I love going there, r133 / r143. Don't care for their bread or pastries. I think those are from a factory in LA and just awful. But their meat is great. And yes, they have all the great brands I miss from home, including candy, chocolates, beer and wine. And the owners are very nice people. I also go to Vine Ripe market in La Mesa. They have very interesting food from all European countries, from Portugal to Norway, Netherlands to Bulgaria, you name it. I think they also cover some food from Israel and some arab countries.

by Anonymousreply 144November 25, 2019 1:14 AM

I have not seen a German market as good as Gene's in Chicago. They had everything. Some of their stuff was more Eastern European, but in general, anything one might have wanted, they had it.

by Anonymousreply 145November 25, 2019 1:18 AM

Alphonso mangoes, from India!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 25, 2019 1:28 AM

R144 What specific things do you like at Tip Top? I’m looking for new recommendations. I’m in American who is a big German food fan!

by Anonymousreply 147November 25, 2019 1:35 AM

Barack Obama

by Anonymousreply 148November 25, 2019 1:50 AM

I miss having bidets everywhere I go. Other than that, I'm happy to live in Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 149November 25, 2019 2:54 AM

[quote]Is golden syrup like maple syrup? Or corn syrup?

It's kind of unique and not really interchangeable with any of those. It's very thick and viscous and a little bit aromatic. It's none-threatening and pleasantly sweet, perfect for drizzling on hot crumpets because it won't leak everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 150November 25, 2019 3:10 AM

Golden Syrup is VERY sweet. I hate it but if you like sweets you might like it.

by Anonymousreply 151November 25, 2019 10:11 AM

[quote] What specific things do you like at Tip Top?

Where to start? If you like meats, try their head cheese. It's a cold cut in a jelly terrine. It's on the savory, vinegar-y side. Lots of people think it looks out of this world and disgusting, but the flavors and ingredients are actually rather by the book. And it's healthy; it has practically no fat at all. If you like cold fish, try the Matjes filets, herring soaked in an oil based sauce. If you find it too salty, simply leave it in water for an hour or two to make it milder.

For a side dish to an entree with any type of meat, I recommend potato dumplings, the large variant of gnocchi (a loose interpretation). You get them with just potato, or with Semmeln, a bread-y variant.

If you like sweets I always recommend Duplo or Hanuta. These are chocolate-hazelnut waffles in different variants, made by Ferrero who also makes Nutella and Rocher. You also get them at Costplus World Market.

by Anonymousreply 152November 25, 2019 12:38 PM

Head cheese R152? As a teenager I worked in a deli and had to slice that stuff for the old Polish ladies. I thought it was disgusting. I’ve never tried it though. Do you eat it by itself or in a sandwich?

by Anonymousreply 153November 25, 2019 6:02 PM

R153 when it is good, it is great.

Most deli version takes like plastic jello.

by Anonymousreply 154November 25, 2019 6:41 PM

[quote]who the fuck eats pancakes anymore?

On the East Coast they are on every diner menu.

by Anonymousreply 155November 25, 2019 6:50 PM

Isn't "head cheese" another name for smegma?

by Anonymousreply 156November 25, 2019 7:25 PM

R155

LOVE diner breakfasts but hate pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 157November 25, 2019 8:45 PM

I love pancakes and waffles but always need to take a nap after eating them.

by Anonymousreply 158November 25, 2019 10:31 PM

I had pancakes, eggs & bacon for breakfast this morning. The nicest way to eat pancakes is with LOTS of butter soaking into them. I never use syrup. I try not to eat them often, because pancakes make me fart.

by Anonymousreply 159November 25, 2019 11:28 PM

[quote] Do you eat [head cheese] by itself or in a sandwich?

I'd say traditionally by itself, like a steak substitute, with potato salad. But in a sandwich sounds pretty good too. Either way, I prefer it with a good mustard or Dijon sauce. Maybe even ketchup .

by Anonymousreply 160November 26, 2019 12:42 AM

R160 just ruined it with ketchup. Tomato frosting for baby tastes.

by Anonymousreply 161November 26, 2019 7:04 AM

Proper Full English breakfasts.

by Anonymousreply 162November 26, 2019 7:34 AM

R162 WAY too much food for me. When I was 19 I ate one and even then it was too much food.

by Anonymousreply 163November 26, 2019 7:58 AM

[quote]I’m surprised London doesn’t have some kind of popular pancake house; Amsterdam is a popular vacation spot for Brits, and it’s bursting at the seams with pancakes.

As said already, there are Dutch pancake houses but those aren't the same. The problem is that for Britons pancakes means crepes. Same for the Dutch. The smaller, fatter American style pancakes are not really a thing outside of McDonalds and hotels and hardly anyone but an expat would bother making any for breakfast, as pancakes are mainly seen as a dessert.

The McDonalds' breakfast of a mystery meat sausage patty with pancakes and maple syrup is a bizarre combination for me and not something I would ever consider ordering.

by Anonymousreply 164November 26, 2019 11:03 AM

Something else I missed in Germany - buttered movie popcorn. I rarely go to the movies, but on those few occasions when I do, I want butter on my damn popcorn. They put sugar on it instead. Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 165November 26, 2019 11:47 AM

German popcorn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 26, 2019 12:03 PM

German popcorn is fucking disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 167November 26, 2019 1:32 PM

I'm an American. I miss a functioning government and intelligent, decent people.

by Anonymousreply 168November 26, 2019 3:09 PM

Don't we put sugar on popcorn and call it Kettle corn? (And of course there's also caramel corn and CrackerJack.)

by Anonymousreply 169November 26, 2019 3:21 PM

I miss the Kaiser!

by Anonymousreply 170November 26, 2019 3:40 PM

R128 The Lyle's I brought from Amazon also came in a squeeze bottle. I'm sure it's identical.

R146 Those are the best mangoes in the world. Nothing like the ones for sale here in America.

by Anonymousreply 171November 26, 2019 6:55 PM

I'm 47, from the USA but left at age 23 for Japan where I resided during the 90s. Since then, I've migrated to Québec, Canada and then to the southern part of Mexico, where I've been now for ten years and am a naturalized citizen. What I miss most are snow (it snows on the mountains around me but not in the city), a reliable postal mail system, finding shoes my size, and a couple of my dearest friends. Other than that, I don't miss the USA at all and would never care to go back.

by Anonymousreply 172November 26, 2019 10:35 PM

From the U.S. and live in Spain. I love Spanish food but thought I might miss an occasional good Asian dinner. However, I've found a few places that more than satisfy.

Otherwise I miss nothing.

by Anonymousreply 173December 5, 2019 12:03 AM

Moved from Colombia to the United States. I miss the cheap and abundant variety of fruits and vegetables. I miss not having to need a car to get around,since it's so easy and convenient to just walk or use public transportation. I miss having more paid vacation time ( 3 weeks and18 public holidays per year MINIMUM). I also miss the people and many aspects of the culture. Colombians take great pride in their appearance and clothing, but more importantly, are generally friendly and kind. It's also so much more relaxed (political correctness is practically non-existent). I don't have to worry about people getting offended over a crude sexual joke or even a racist joke. I dont have to worry about getting a ticket for jaywalking or loitering (non-existent concepts there). I also miss the Healthcare system. It isn't free (unless you're very poor) but it's extremely affordable and you get first-world facilities and service , at least in the cities. Obviously Colombia has MANY flaws, or I wouldn't be currently living here , but that's what I miss.

by Anonymousreply 174December 5, 2019 12:56 AM

Any Canadians here who have moved to the US? or vice-versa?

by Anonymousreply 175December 9, 2019 12:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!