Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's be the soundtrack to The Shining!

I am a goddamn masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2019 12:51 AM

I am the hellish screams of an opera singer over the arrangement of Dies Irae by the great American composer Wendy Carlos as the opening credits roll.

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2019 4:13 AM

I am the fact that Wendy Carlos was originally William Carlos.

Brace yourself for the inevitable reaction.

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2019 4:14 AM

I am the sound of a Big Wheel running over carpeted and non-carpeted floors.

You wouldn't think I'd be so memorable.

You would be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2019 4:15 AM

I am Penderecki's Ewangelia. I am played as Wendy races up the sinister staircase and appears to hear a mass of people chanting.

Ironically, I am about the resurrection of Christ.

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2019 4:19 AM

I am frightening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2019 4:27 AM

I am the throaty big bands music that echoes through the corridors of the Gold Room.

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2019 4:28 AM

I am the music as Jack finds out what's lurking in room 237.

It is difficult to believe that I was not written for this specific scene.

I wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2019 4:31 AM

I am an completely overlooked contributor to the soundtrack - Carl Stalling, who wrote the music for the 1940s Warner Brothers' cartoons. My sly improvisational techniques can be heard throughout whenever Wendy and Danny are watching TV. I offer a bleak commentary on the chase scenes soon to follow.

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2019 4:34 AM

I'm Al Bowlly's enchanting, romantic song "Midnight, the Stars and You" now tinged with creepiness and commonly compiled in YouTube "spooky Halloween songs" offerings.

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2019 4:41 AM

I am Bela Bartok's extraordinary Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta. I chill you right to the fucking bone.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2019 4:43 AM

I am the tinkling of the latter movement of [R10] as Jack peers into the model of the maze and sees Wendy and Danny walking around far below....

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2019 4:45 AM

I am the fact that Wendy Carlos wrote an entire score for The Shining and Kubrick discarded most of it in favor of selected passages from other composers, whom he evidently never reimbursed.

Am I a sore point in the field of modern classical music?

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2019 4:50 AM

I'm a hip new pop act's latest song, played over a montage of the Torrences doing kooky things together! I'm a guaranteed soundtrack hit!

I don't exist. I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2019 4:52 AM

I am the occasional absence of a musical soundtrack.

I am, like nothing, even more frightening.

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2019 4:55 AM

I am Al Bowlly's tragic death, yet another reason to hate Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2019 4:57 AM

I am the magnificent Steinway concert grand in the Colorado Lounge.

No one plays me.

Thank Christ.

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2019 5:24 AM

I am Rachel Eklund. I provide a co-writing credit to the opening theme and the voice of the hellish screams and groans that echo throughout the sequence.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2019 5:28 AM

I am [R14] during the bartender sequence.

I am indeed unnerving.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2019 5:29 AM

I’m cheesy blue font. I hang out with the soundtrack, like the fat annoying best friend of a beautiful girl.

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2019 5:31 AM

I’m whatever the song is playing on the radio when Dick is driving in the snow storm back to the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2019 5:35 AM

I am Wendy Carlos' magnificent Rocky Mountains theme. I can be heard as Jack, Wendy and Danny drive to the Overlook. I and the opening credits are all that remain of the full Carols soundtrack.

I'd call it a fair trade, but I'm still bitter.

by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2019 5:36 AM

I'm [R20]! I crop again in John Carpenter's "The Fog" as a shout out. I am actually a generic radio call number interlude, used by several stations during the time period.

by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2019 5:38 AM

[quote] . I and the opening credits are all that remain of the full Carols soundtrack.

What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2019 5:53 AM

Carlos, not Carols - Wendy Carlos wrote a score for the whole film but only the opening sequence and the Rocky Mountains theme made it into the finished film.

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2019 6:01 AM

It's actually the same soundtrack for 2001: A Space Odyssey- minus the Strauss.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2019 6:40 AM

[quote] minus the Strauss.

Strausses. Both Johann and Richard are prominently featured in 2001

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2019 12:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!